PS G1 AND G2 2017-18: OILERS VS. FLAMES

“Well,” said Pooh, “what I like best…….,” and then he had to stop and think. Because although eating honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn’t know what it was called.” A. A. Milne

I tolerate summer, that’s the truth. Spring is far better, full of hope and new growth and the long lost warmth of the sun. Fall is my favorite season, with the colors of the river valley and the brisk air a welcome reminder of the best season of all: Hockey season. We are here. Welcome back, friend.

OILERS IN EDMONTON ROSTER TONIGHT

• Patrick Maroon—Connor McDavid—Ryan Strome. Big opportunity, big pressure.
  • Joey Laleggia—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Jesse Puljujarvi. Giant push for two young wingers.
  • Iiro Pakarinen—Mark Letestu—Zack Kassian. Potential 4line.
  • Ryan Hamilton—Josh Currie/Grayson Downing—Patrick Russell. AHL 2line?
  • Darnell Nurse—Eric Gryba. Opening night third pair.
  • Caleb Jones—Ethan BearA curious opening night pair, there is opportunity here.
  • William Lagesson—Mark Fayne. Fascinating pair, Fayne could get some NHL games this year.
  • Cam Talbot (Edward Pasquale). Talbot looks to repeat a brilliant season.

OILERS IN CALGARY ROSTER TONIGHT

• Milan Lucic—Leon Draisaitl—Drake Caggiula. Giant chance for Caggiula.
  • Jujhar Khaira—Chris Kelly—Kailer Yamamoto. A nice push for all three men.
  • Mitch Callahan—Brad Malone—Ty Rattie. Rattie starts here. Where is he opening night?
  • Evan Polei/Braden Christoffer—Joe Gambardella—Greg Chase. Let ’em know you’re there!
  • Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson. Opening night first pair.
  • Yohann Auvitu—Dillon SimpsonA nice showcase game for both men.
  • Keegan Lowe—Ziyat Paigin. I am curious as to why this isn’t the second pair in Edmonton.
  • Laurent Brossoit (Nick Ellis). This is Brossoit’s time, Ellis is on deck.

Players getting a push tonight that might seem out of time include Joey Laleggia, Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear, Dillon Simpson. Now, that could be due to injuries or rest for more established players (Jussi Jokinen, Matt Benning) heading into the exhibition season. If you see something fabulous from one of these four men, that’s a very good arrow.

TRADE TALK

The Oilers are not balanced and that brings the idea of a training camp deal into play. Players getting a push are being evaluated, but that works both ways. No idea what it would look like but something to keep in mind. I’m looking for Jesse Puljujarvi to have a good night and would love to see any of the depth defensemen step up. You know, Caleb Jones is in an NHL pre-season game and in a feature role. Sometimes magic.

256 Responses to "PS G1 AND G2 2017-18: OILERS VS. FLAMES"

« Older Comments
  1. The Original JDî says:

Munny:
    It’s one game people.

Well, two games, but point taken.

Still, it’s never a bad day to beat the Flambes.

2. Zelepukin says:

Let me just refer to our trusty Oilers Armchair GM Handbook first edition…

JP is a bust. Trade him. Yams is the second coming of Marty St.Louis. 1st line minutes.

3. Munny says:

Pescador: Actually it’s 2

If Pujo can’t score in Edmonton tonight, he should at least have the decency to pot one in Calgary.

4. Side says:

I find it amazing how Oilers fans have apparently forgotten about Draisaitl’s turbulent start to his Oilers career and are already giving up on JP.

Never change, Oilers fans.

5. Munny says:

The Original JDî: Well, two games, but point taken.

Not four points lol?

6. Clay says:

So, I know this is game 1/2 of the preseason, but if the reffing is going to be anywhere this touchy in the regular season (not complaining), LT’s reasonable expectations may be low across the board.

7. Pescador says:

Pleased with the Hottie cam in between whistles!
    Some good looking ladies as well

8. Yak Efron says:

If they keep calling it like this for the regular season, McDavid might draw a penalty every shift.

9. GMB3 says:

Not saying he’s a bust. He’s still so young. I just don’t know if he’s going to be as good as he was touted to be in hi draft year.

10. GMB3 says:

Side:

Never change, Oilers fans.

So salty. Sorry bb didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.

11. OriginalPouzar says:

I can’t imagine that this officiating will continue through the entire regular season.

It may start the year off like this but I would think it will dissipate like it always does.

12. Munny says:

Jones really impressed me in the Edmonton game. He’s going to make the Bigs one day, bookjie it.

Auvitu, Stonehands and Keep Yo Moto Runnn in the Calgary game.

13. Munny says:

GMB3: So salty. Sorry bb didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.

It’s really not fair that Bethesda nerfed the JP character while Yamamoto is so OP

14. Pescador says:

Side:

Never change, Oilers fans.

I actually thought Draisaitl played well last year,
    All kidding aside, what the hell is wrong with JP starting the season in Bako?
    Answer: nothing

15. treevojo says:

My YouTube feed died in the first.

Read along for updates.

How’d my boy nurse look tonight?

16. PunjabiOil says:

I’m very comfortable moving JP in a trade package, while he still has some value. Wait 18 months and all you may get for him is a 2nd round pick plus B prospect.

And no, this is not just one game. His NHL-E has been poor at every level. Hockey sense still a concern. The size factor still likely fresh in GM’s minds.

I just don’t see the high end upside in him.

17. Todd Macallan says:

Yamamoto the 1st star in Calgary, sweet christmas.

18. Seismic Source says:

NHL won’t follow through on these penalties and by January it will be prison rule hockey again, but….if this does carry into the regular season a month or two we could really take advantage of it.

A right handed defenseman who’s great on the power play and would be available for minimum assets?
    Mike Green.

19. Munny says:

treevojo: How’d my boy nurse look tonight?

Not his best game.

20. Pescador says:

Zelepukin:
    Let me just refer to our trusty Oilers Armchair GM Handbook first edition…

JP is a bust. Trade him.

How are we supposed to trade him? His value is now net negative,
    JP & a 2nd for a 3rd.

21. Jethro Tull says:

Pescador: How are we supposed to trade him? His value is now net negative,
    JP & a 2nd for a 3rd.

JP for Demers.

22. treevojo says:

PunjabiOil:
    I’m very comfortable moving JP in a trade package, while he still has some value.Wait 18 months and all you may get for him is a 2nd round pick plus B prospect.

And no, this is not just one game.His NHL-E has been poor at every level. Hockey sense still a concern.The size factor still likely fresh in GM’s minds.

I just don’t see the high end upside in him.

Noted

Your online gming will either look brilliant or the opposite of brilliant.

I really hope your wrong.

The oilers will be so much better if he turns out.

23. Pouzar says:

treevojo: How’d my boy nurse look tonight?

He was fine.

24. PunjabiOil says:

I really hope your wrong.
    The oilers will be so much better if he turns out

As do I.

For the record, I was in favour of moving him at the draft.

It’s probably a fair statement his value has eroded since and has more room to do so if things don’t change.

25. linkfromhyrule says:

Yamamoto goal. He definitely knows what to do with a puck.

Draisaitl also looking good already in that highlight

26. Seismic Source says:

PunjabiOil,

I’m no chicken little but I always wondered what WPG would offer for him.

27. Chachi says:

treevojo:
    My YouTube feed died in the first.

Read along for updates.

How’d my boy nurse look tonight?

Nurse looked alright to me. I was hoping Rasmus Andersson would ask him for seconds, but it turns out he was still full from being force fed last time.

28. treevojo says:

Seismic Source:

Mike Green.

I’m no green expert but I did watch him a few games last year cause my buddy is a diehard wings fan.

I have to believe for 6 mil there has to be better out there.

From my few viewings he looked far from the pp wizard of his capitals days.

29. Chachi says:

Jethro Tull: JP for Demers.

Maybe they could trade JP for Martin Erat.

30. treevojo says:

What did bob give woodguy a shoutout for?

If I had to guess it was for his article asking the NHL to actually enforce the rule book?

31. Pouzar says:

treevojo:
    What did bob give woodguy a shoutout for?

His work on penalties called (or not called) last year and their effects on scoring.

32. treevojo says:

Chachi: Maybe they could trade JP for Martin Erat.

How bout jp for yakcity?

33. Pouzar says:

Nuge 56% on the dot.

34. Chachi says:

treevojo: How bout jp for yakcity?

JP for Alexei Mikhnov and a sausage roll.

35. treevojo says:

After the lockout when the refs started calling all the hooking infractions the players adapted.

Hopefully if the refs stick to calling the needless slashes the players will adapt as well and it changes the game for the better.

treevojo:
    What did bob give woodguy a shoutout for?

37. russ99 says:

We’re to blame on JP keeping him up and burning a ELC year.

Still it’s one preseason game, and even If the offense stays missing, he still plays an NHL game. Worst case, he’s a solid third line winger.

I think I changed my mind on which Adidas jersey to get, those road whites are razor sharp. I’ll wait to see the orange ones in a game, but I’m pretty close to sold. Now to decide between Lucic and Draisaitl.

38. PunjabiOil says:

Puljujarvi falling to 4th OV could end up having disastrous implications:

1. It convinced the Oilers management they could move Hall as per their own words
    2. Mikhail Sergachev was who they planned to take 4th OV. Would fill a team need and check off all boxes (RHD, can run a PP, can move the puck).

So yes, there are high expectations for Puljujarvi.

Nothing he’s done has convinced me he has that upside you’d expect from a 3rd OV pick. His AHL numbers weren’t great and were inflated a bit playing with Anton Landers.

He has to move north quickly and if he doesn’t, it’s perhaps time to consider moving him for a tangible real return. As far I know, Jim Benning is still a GM in the NHL.

39. Chachi says:

PunjabiOil:
    Puljujarvi falling to 4th OV could end up having disastrous implications:

1.It convinced the Oilers management they could move Hall as per their own words
    2.Mikhail Sergachev was who they planned to take 4th OV.Would fill a team need and check off all boxes (RHD, can run a PP, can move the puck).

So yes, there are high expectations for Puljujarvi.

Nothing he’s done has convinced me he has that upside you’d expect from a 3rd OV pick.His AHL numbers weren’t great and were inflated a bit playing with Anton Landers.

He has to move north quickly and if he doesn’t, it’s perhaps time to consider moving him for a tangible real return.As far I know, Jim Benning is still a GM in the NHL.

Sergachev shoots left.

40. Thinker says:

Seismic Source:

Mike Green.

NHL prefers the opinion of guys like Randy Carlyle. Colin Campbell is literally the definition of inmates running the asylum. Think Chis Simon is ready to take over the discipline committee?

41. Munny says:

Pouzar: He was fine.

Not really. I didn’t mind him on the PP and was happy to see him get the opp, but he looked like he was trying to do too much all night and was the guilty party on several scoring chances against,

The goalies were really the stars in Edmonton, and Jones, and the McDavid line of course. Plus a million powerplays…

42. Munny says:

PunjabiOil: His AHL numbers weren’t great and were inflated a bit playing with Anton Landers.

Because there are a ton of AHL comps for JP’s past year? We can’t surround him because that’s the flimsiest of sample sizes. But you know better…

43. OriginalPouzar says:

Chachi: and

And is also not an NHL player at this point.

Nice prospect – as is Puljijarvi.

44. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny: Because there are a ton of AHL comps for JP’s past year?We can’t surround him because that’s the flimsiest of sample sizes. But you know better…

He also spent much time away from Lander. With Curroe and / or Platzer I believe.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

Willie Lagesson was reassigned after the game. On his way to the SEL.

What a great camp for Willie. He is a real prospect along the lines of Bear and Jones – probably more seasoned at this point to.

Defensive defender but his skating and puck moving were much better than anticipated.

Turned me in to a fan.

46. Chachi says:

OriginalPouzar: And is also not an NHL player at this point.

Nice prospect – as is Puljijarvi.

Yup

47. OriginalPouzar says:

Couple big things from last night (taken with a grain of salt considering they were split squad exhibition games):

1) Strome looked very good with McDavid last night both as ES and on PP – had 5 shots on net and seemed to think the game along McDavid’s level – they were up against the shitty CGY team though

2) Although I only saw bits of the game in Calgary, from what I saw and from accounts, Drai was pretty dominant as a center – this was against the good CGY team.

48. GMB3 says:

How much closer are we to unicorns if it’s Matt Tkachuk playing RW with RNH and Jussi?

As much as I hate to think about that, and hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz, but damn.

49. Professor Q says:

GMB3,

Maybe he doesn’t jive as well here as he did in Calgary?

50. Strapping Jocks says:

I tried to stream both games on devices while taking care of family stuff. Nice to see two wins, even in pre-season, against the Flames.

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me how Spencer Foo did for the bad guys?

51. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:

Also, From Staples (yeah yeah quiet everyone)

“Milan Lucic: Looked faster than last year, “

52. Professor Q says:

Strapping Jocks,

I’m not going to lie, but I didn’t really notice many of the Flames except for the -owskis and Giordano being upended by Draisaitl after he hooked Drai’s shoulder.

Didn’t reallly notice Foo but someone else likely did.

53. LeonorMcdraivid says:

Hello from germany, I ‘ve watched the game at the fl.m.s.
    I think, it was really a pre-season game without the Intensity oft a regular season game,but funny to watch.
    Yamamoto speedy and nice stickhandling, but when it will come to regular games, he has Tor be protected by the Organization,because its too early for him in my opinion.
    The Drake was only a goalscorer, the line was lead by drai and looch,but that is surely OK. We won it and the fl.m.s lost it. Wonderful.

54. Chachi says:

LeonorMcdraivid:
    Hello from germany, I ‘ve watched the game at the fl.m.s.

Is fl.m.s something naughty in German? I hope so!

55. LeonorMcdraivid says:

For sure.
    Maybe i can’t spell this ugly word…;-)

56. Chachi says:

LeonorMcdraivid:
    For sure.
    Maybe i can’t spell this ugly word…;-)

That works for me! It’s a dirty word here too!

« Older Comments