The Edmonton Oilers exhibition record is 2-0-0 but a quick glance at tonight’s lineup (and Winnipeg’s) suggests we may see a road loss this evening. The Jets have a tendency to blow their foot off with penalties and cross-eyed goaltending, but the odds do not favor Edmonton.
PROJECTED OILERS ROSTER
- The Yamamoto appearance is a push for the young man, but also a chance for Jesse Puljujarvi to recover from a crosscheck (via Jason Gregor via Original Pouzar).
- The Letestu line staying together is a good sign for Jujhar Khaira, he’s auditioning for the Matt Hendricks role while playing the Matt Hendricks role.
- All of the other forwards on this list may be dressing for (and I think we have it covered) their final game before being optioned to the minors. Exceptions could be Joey Laleggia and Joe Gambardella, but that’s a guess. We’re going to see a cull, and right soon!
- The defensemen are going to be tested to their outer limits this evening, based on Winnipeg’s roster and the players not dressed for Edmonton.
- On the other hand, if Stanton or Auvitu shine, that’s a quality arrow.
- Ryan Mantha gets his chance to play in a pre-season game and earn another. I think Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear may get a second game, not as sure about Ziyat Paigin.
- The goalies should be busy.
The Oilers have a couple of games this weekend (back to back) so we may see staggered cuts over the next few days. It wouldn’t be at all surprising to see several of the Condors optioned in the next 24 hours. Candidates for early demotion might include Braden Christoffer, Ryan Hamilton (AHL), Evan Polei (AHL), Josh Currie (AHL), Kyle Platzer, Chad Butcher (AHL), Brian Ferlin (AHL, we haven’t heard much about him), Greg Chase, Patrick Russell, Zack O’Brien (AHL), Ben Betker and Edward Pasquale.
The Vancouver Province has an article (via Steve Ewen) on the Giants and their coming season. Ewen asked Vancouver head coach Jason McKee (former coach and general manager of the Spruce Grove Saints of the AJHL) about Tyler Benson, and how to help him stay healthy.
- McKee: “I think the biggest thing is that they’ve identified the problem now. He’s gone through the surgeries. He’s doing the rehab and he’s working extremely hard at it. He just needs to go through the process. Once he does that, we’ll get him back here — hopefully sooner than later — and we’ll continue down the development curve. He’s missed a lot of time, but it’s water under the bridge. We can’t worry about that now. We have to focus on what’s ahead of us for the player and the team.” Source