OILERS CUT A BAKER’S DOZEN

The Edmonton Oilers cut 13 players today, in what is surely one of the most interesting cut-down days in recent memory. The group sent out isn’t especially provocative, but the names of those who stayed may offer us insight into the organization’s thinking.

THE CUTS (NHL CONTRACTS)

• R Greg Chase, who went 48, 3-11-14 in Bakersfield last season. This will be the final year of his entry-level deal.
  • RC Kyle Platzer, 51, 1-7-8 with the Condors a year ago and (like Chase) entering the final year of his first pro contract.
  • L Braden Christoffer, 49, 5-3-8 in Bakersfield and his final year of entry deal begins in October.
  • LD Ben Betker, 30, 1-5-6 in the AHL and 5, 3-2-5 in the ECHL in 2016-17. Final year of entry deal.
  • RD Ethan Bear, 67, 28-42-70 with Seattle (WHL) and he turns pro this fall.
  • LD Ziyat Paigin, 17, 1-3-4 in the KHL and 5, 0-0-0 in Bakersfield. He’ll begin entry-level this year.
  • LC Joe Gambardella, 41, 18-34-52 with UMass-Lowell (NCAA) and 6, 1-2-3 with Bakersfield.
  • G Shane Starrett, 37, 1.99 .925 with Army (NCAA) a year ago. He begins his pro career.

THE CUTS (AHL DEALS)

• RC Chad Butcher, a prolific scorer with Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL) last season.
  • RC Josh Currie, who delivered a strong season with Bakersfield a year ago.
  • L Ryan Hamilton, Condors captain back for another year.
  • R Zach O’Brien, 175 games of AHL experience and a rugged forward.
  • L Evan Polei,  Former Red Deer Rebels winger is an intriguing combination of size and skill.

THE DISTANT BELLS

• Today’s cuts drove a spike through the heart of the distant bells. Our list has eight remaining names, but three (Andrej Sekera, Brian Ferlin and Tyler Benson) are injured. That leaves five distant bells.
  • Caleb Jones survives the first big cut in his pro debut season and I think that’s worth noting. His mobility has always been on display, but he is also showing some calm feet and this is a very nice reward for hard work and development.
  • Grayson Downing and Edward Pasquale also remain, the organization probably wants to get another look or there may be injury issues.
  • Patrick Russell probably earned another look last night, somewhere between his first and sixth hit.

UNCERTAIN OILERS

• Joe Gambardella is the first cut among the uncertain group, that’s probably more about me estimating than anything else.
  • Kailer Yamamoto remains, he’s the final (healthy) junior player still on the roster. Todd McLellan said he’ll play sometime on the weekend and at this point I suspect there’s a very good chance we see him for nine games at the beginning of the NHL season. He earned the opportunity to shine with strong play and I think he has an excellent chance if the club puts him with skill.

CERTAIN OILERS

• I think these 20 men make the roster, only question is Slepyshev and his ability to get ready for the beginning of the season.
  • My guess is the final three players are named Yohann Auvitu, Jujhar Khaira and Iiro Pakarinen. However, Kailer Yamamoto is driving and will be heard over the next two weeks.

77 Responses to "OILERS CUT A BAKER’S DOZEN"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

So, what’s the deal with Polei?

I thought he had an actual AHL contract but the verbal is he was released from his “amateur tryout”.

I would like him to be a Condor with a chance to get an NHL contract in the spring (if he earns it).

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Downing is probably the most surprising keeper other than perhaps Patrick Russell (although he had some effective shifts last night).

Joe G. probably the most surprising forward cut – I thought Malone would be ahead of him for the “Lander Role” but it seems Callahan is as well. I liked Mitch last night, he has some agitator in him.

Its clear that Jones is the cream of the crop for the higher end D prospects (maybe with Berglund and Lagesson) but a bit surprising that Mantha survived – arrows up for him from camp.

I expect another huge swath of cuts after the weekend games.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

I see a 0.0000213% chance that Khaira isn’t on the opening night roster.

I think he’s won a job and he’s not battling for a lineup spot – and currently winning that battle.

I can’t imagine him being subject to waivers.

Yes, I know, a trade is a possibility but he has a Chiarelli skillset.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

I know I’ve said this a dozen times today, however, I really want Puljijarvi to step up and grab that 3RW spot. Make the decision to send Kailer back to junior easy as I can’t see them both on the team even if Slepy needs more time.

Come on Jesse – have a great weekend and put this verbal to bed (not that i want Kailer to fail but I want him in Spokane for the year – and Buffalo).

5. VOR says:

Original Pouzar,

My understanding is because Butcher and Polei had not played a game as pros they were on ATOs. They are both headed to Bakersfield.

OriginalPouzar:
    So, what’s the deal with Polei?

I thought he had an actual AHL contract but the verbal is he was released from his“amateur tryout”.

AHL deal, he doesn’t have a contract with Edmonton.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

I know he doesn’t have an NHL contract with Edmonton and it was only an AHL deal but I was confused when the team stated he was released from his “amateur tryout” – I inferred that he no longer has a contractual relationship with the Oilers but it seems he still has an AHL only deal?

8. geowal says:

OriginalPouzar:

Technically speaking, he has no relationship with the Oilers. He has a relationship with the Bakersfield Condors, whom the Oilers have a relationship with. Much like Ryan Hamilton who we’ve seen this with for multiple years now.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Well, yes, of course – I meant “Oilers organization”.

It just sounded like he was released from a pure tryout arrangement but there is an AHL contract there so I’m happy.

OriginalPouzar:
    Well, yes, of course – I meant “Oilers organization”.

11. Georges says:

Did anyone have any thoughts on ricki’s post on corsi in the morning thread?

I think I finally understand what he’s getting at with open/closed shots.

12. John Chambers says:

Hypothetically if Jones is our top defensive prospect and shows improvement throughout the year, would it not suggest that either Sekera or perhaps Nurse would become expendable as early as next summer?

Of all our D prospects he may push his way onto the roster ahead of schedule, and in doing so, provide a solution to next summer’s cap nightmare.

13. leadfarmer says:

I’m glad the league is cracking down on all these infractions in the preseason so they can completely forget about them in 6 months.

14. leadfarmer says:

Georges:
    Did anyone have any thoughts on ricki’s post on corsi in the morning thread?

I think I finally understand what he’s getting at with open/closed shots.

Yup that’s why he still thinks the Grybas of the league and other stay at home 3rd pairing defensemen barely hanging onto their jobs are the cream of the crop in the NHL. But we’re the ones that don’t get it so it’s ok

15. John Chambers says:

Georges,

It was a fantastic post.

It also serves my longtime argument that Martin Brodeur was merely a ‘good’ NHL goalie who played behind a defensive system which forced a lot of weak perimeter shots, thereby inflating his sv%.

All Corsi events are highly unequal, and Rickis analysis throws cold water on the highly flawed stat.

16. leadfarmer says:

John Chambers:
    Georges,

It was a fantastic post.

Yes people have known for a long time that Corsi is very flawed that’s why other measurements have come along. He has no analysis though. Ricki does what hockey stats bears do. Make up some stat. Have either no data or very flawed data. Claim they knew everything all along years ago and we’re just late to the show. Come back some time later. Come up with some other number. Rinse and repeat.

Shot difficulty weighting is not a new idea. It’s just very hard to implement cause you have to account multiple variables such as situation, and player cause a one timer from the high slot is more dangerous if that player is Laine than Eberle for example. A 2 man breakaway is a different difficulty than a shot from center ice.

17. Clay says:

Re: Benson’s injury

I’ve read that he’s recently had surgery and is recovering. Is this further repairs for his chronic pubis/groin/sports hernia injury or something new? Anyone with clarification would be appreciated.

God, I hope we get to see this poor kid play some healthy hockey at some point.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Safin had one assist with 2PIM an an even rating in a 4-2 loss.

Wells has, so far, given up 4 goals on 26 shots in the third.

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Clay:
    Re: Benson’s injury

I’ve read that he’s recently had surgery and is recovering.Is this further repairs for his chronic pubis/groin/sports hernia injury or something new?Anyone with clarification would be appreciated.

God, I hope we get to see this poor kid play some healthy hockey at some point.

20. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar: Last I heard is that Benson was pretty close to being ready to join Vancouver for their season.

He’s made some Giant leaps of progress thus far.

21. jp says:

John Chambers:
    Georges,

Woodguy?

22. russ99 says:

Man, this Aaron Hernandez story has me shook. How can a guy so young with roughly 150 total games of organized football have such bad brain degeneration…

This could have massive implications to all contact sports.

23. dessert1111 says:

I think that at this point Khaira has a much better chance than Puljujarvi to make the team. I’d put Khaira close to 100% and Puljujarvi at about 65%. If Yamamoto is given a look I think it’s in Puljujarvi’s spot and Jesse gets sent down, and Rattie and Laleggia are in that conversation too.

They’ll want someone who can score in that 3RW spot.

24. dessert1111 says:

Battling Pakarinen for the 14F slot are Malone, Callahan, Kelly, Downing, and I guess P. Russell.

What are they looking for in that spot? Utility? PK? Faceoffs? Grind?

I’d guess Pakarinen is the best scorer and has some utility. If he plays mediocre maybe Callahan sneaks in. But I think this spot is wide open for someone to have a streak of good play and snag it.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

Khaira is essentially on the team unless he’s traded (which I doubt he will be). I can’t imagine them trying to sneak him through waivers and he’s essentially earned his roster spot. He’s currently working on earning a spot in the lineup on October 4 and he’s winning that battle.

Jujhar isn’t applying for the same job as JP though – Jujhar is competing for a 4th line role and, of course, there isn’t a chance of Yamamoto or Puljijarvi playing on the 4th line.

You are right, Jesse has a lower chance of making the team than Jujhar, however, as of right now, there isn’t an adequate contender for that 3RW spot unless Slepy is healthy to start the season.

Yes, both Laleggia and Rattie are options, however, neither has stepped up yet. Joey L. has had a nice camp but hasn’t done enough to really put himself in the conversation and, unless he had a nice weekend, he’ll likely be re-assigned to Bakersfield on Sunday.

Rattie has accomplished very little, however I would say he hasn’t really received an opportunity. He has skated with distant bell AHL players throughout camp which doesn’t make sense to me. If he’s going to play on this team, its to fill an offensive type skilled role (likely as an injury replacement) so I think he should have an opportunity to play at least one game with actual NHL skilled players as opposed to the likes of Malone and Chris Kelly.

Looking forward to the games over the weekend – hopefully they are both on Rogers GameCenter.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

dessert1111:

What are they looking for in that spot? Utility? PK? Faceoffs? Grind?

The coach likes Pakarinan and he’s had a good camp so far. I believe he is the leader for the 14th forward. Callahan had some effective shifts last night and he’s got some agitator in him which I liked but he’ll be cut after this weekend, as will Malone and Russell I would think.

Kelly can PK (as can Pak) but he has been invisible at even strength and is just not providing enough to earn a contract, in my opinion of course.

27. Oil2Oilers says:

I hope the early calling of the rule book influences Chia’s thinking.

Namely with regards to OV2

David Poile pantsed the Habs in the Suban-Weber trade. Not because they are not both Team Canada class defenders, but because PK’s mobility and offensive instincts is more in line with the modern game. See LT’s favourite Sutter gospel.

For me OV2 should make the team.

This would free up the Oilers to swap some game soldiers of old school hockey, Gryba and Fayne, to a team needing toughness and veteran mentoring.

Gryba + Fayne (50% retain) for Colin Miller? Los Vegas (sic) is going to spend the majority of the season in their own zone, Gryba and Fayne can help there and they are use to it from their years with the Oilers.

28. Oil2Oilers says:

dessert1111: They’ll want someone who can score in that 3RW spot.

29. ashley says:

russ99:

This could have massive implications to all contact sports.

It could, but it’s important to acknowledge the limitations of what we know so far. This research is in its infancy by medial standards, and it could be decades before we really understand what the findings mean, how the compare to the population not subject to head trauma, and what they mean from a clinical perspective.

The latter is particularly important, but difficult to achieve. There are many confounding issues for conditions like depression and suicide. Also, lots of people have non traumatic symptoms of dizziness, headaches, visual changes and other concussive symptoms. To determine how much we can possibly attribute to CTE will require reams of data and sample sizes in the thousands (not a case study of 10 or 20) to correct for confounders and determine how much we can associate with CTE. Cause and effect is a whole other story which may never be possible to establish one way or another.

I would caution against jumping to conclusions with the limited data available. The national institute of neurological disorders just agreed on the pathological criteria for diagnosis last year, and even then, they do not have a high level of interobserver agreement on the diagnosis.

So we know that one pathologist decided Hernandez had CTE. That’s all we know. Any conclusions extending to what that means to him, his health, his life, his mental condition, or his suicide are wild speculation.

The medical field has invited much trouble, patient suffering and embarrassment in the past by racing to conclusions before there was data to support it. Lobotomy anyone?

There is a great book called “Ending Medical Reversal” by Prasad which covers some of the blunders medicine has made over the years including examples from very recently. It’s not flattering for the profession, but gives many lessons on why we should not jump to conclusions and treatments without adequate research and data.

30. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Mirtle with a really good piece on how the NHL is investigating Lupul’s health and Hossa’s.

He’s the first to have this level of info.

Didn’t know about Hossa.

31. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Woodguy v2.0:

He’s the first to have this level of info.

Didn’t know about Hossa.

Then unlocked this story, so you don’t need a membership to read it.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Chances of him agreeing to come out west – likely slim to none.

33. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lowetide: I think they like him, to be honest. He is big and has good hands. If he could improve his foot speed, possible he’ll have some NHL time. The Oilers have drafted lesser prospects.

I wept a bit after reading the last sentence.

34. Woodguy v2.0 says:

John Chambers,

Which is why xGF and DFF are far superior.

They are weighted shots and fenwick only.

35. Ice Sage says:

Oil2Oilers: I have heard of this old Czech guy, something of a social media sensation, who might fit the bill 🙂

Jiri Dopita’s been lured out of coaching in the Czech League???!?!?!

36. Woodguy v2.0 says:

jp: Haven’t read the latest version of Riki’s post. But this makes me wonder about a DFF-based expected save % metric.

Woodguy?

xGF is almost identical to DFF so use Manny’s Goals Saved Above Average. I’ve been using it for two years and it is by far the best goalie metric out there.

Weight it by per 100 shots to evaluate goalies on an even playing field.

Do not weight it by per 60min as not all goalies face the same amount of shots over time.

I’m sure we’ll have one eventually but there’s a lot more to do right now.

37. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ice Sage: Jiri Dopita’s been lured out of coaching in the Czech League???!?!?!

Best player not in the NHL!!

38. GMB3 says:

Ostap Safin had a great chance tonight, got hauled down on a breakaway after some sublime stick handling. Big man with nice hands

39. stush18 says:

Woodguy v2.0: xGF is almost identical to DFF so use Manny’s Goals Saved Above Average.I’ve been using it for two years and it is by far the best goalie metric out there.

Weight it by per 100 shots to evaluate goalies on an even playing field.

I’m sure we’ll have one eventually but there’s a lot more to do right now.

What do you think of eberles comments about corsi?

40. stush18 says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I’m kind of rooting for lupul. I hope he can make a comeback next year, although is a tough thing to try and do.

41. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Safin highlights – WOW!

Should have had two assists.

Who was the shit that scored off of his pass?

Looked Safin off and celebrated away from him. Even in the group he hardly acknowledges him until another player taps safins head.

Those dangles were unreal. Big good with real good hands. I hope he continues to assert himself even more. Big guys with hands like that are extremely tough to move the puck off of

42. GMB3 says:

stush18: Should have had two assists.

Who was the shit that scored off of his pass?

If his skating projects at a big league level he could be one hell of a prospect. Let’s hope he learns to compete

43. Dee Dee says:

Nail Yakupov with two assists tonight! He’s nearly matched last years output in his first game.

44. Woodguy v2.0 says:

stush18: What do you think of eberles comments about corsi?

Nothing.

Corsi isn’t a tool for players.

What they think about it doesn’t matter.

How they execute the coach’s game plan does.

That said, Babcock writes the corsi for/against for each player on the whiteboard between periods. (its been caught on film a couple times)

I guess some coaches will use that term, most probably won’t and it really doesn’t matter.

45. GMB3 says:

Is anyone else concerned at Jokinens slow boots? He looked to be pretty slow last night by my eye. Wondering if the season won’t take a toll on him more than other guys.

46. OriginalPouzar says:

Not concerned – not every player needs to be a plus skater.

47. stush18 says:

Woodguy v2.0: Nothing.

Corsi isn’t a tool for players.

What they think about it doesn’t matter.

How they execute the coach’s game plan does.

Sure. He also keeps track of “heavy shifts”.

Was more curious what you thought of the affect it has on players. Eberle isn’t the first person I’ve heard mention possession stats now.

48. The Original JDî says:

Woodguy v2.0: Lupul’s health

Let’s hope that the league closes that Lupul.

49. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Not concerned – not every player needs to be a plus skater.

GMB3:

ill be honest he doesn’t look fleet of foot.

Some players are cerebral enough to make up for it though. His stick deflecting Laines shot is a perfect example. Doesn’t need to scoot over because he was already in the right position.

I think it helps playing the right player types together too.

I think it’s why maroon and mcdavid fit so well. Nothing to do with skills, all about styles mashing together.

Here’s hoping him and nuge form a smart duo.

50. dustrock says:

OriginalPouzar:
    GMB3,

Safin highlights – WOW!

Yeah Edmonton Prospects Watch is worth a follow on Twitter.

And for people complaining that The Athletic is just stats guys, Eric D. had a great interview with Lucic and now Mirtle is breaking a Friedman level story

51. jp says:

Weight it by per 100 shots to evaluate goalies on an even playing field.

I’m sure we’ll have one eventually but there’s a lot more to do right now.

Cool, I wasn’t sure how similar the underlying location/type weighting was. Thanks.

52. jp says:

Dee Dee:

Thoughts of a 30 goal, -60 season flashed through my head.

I’m honestly wishing him nothing but the best though. Would be really nice to see him have a solid NHL career.

53. Professor Q says:

Jokinen seemed fine to me last night. Skated fine and was fairly quick and able to position himself well all night. Got to the net and the right positions. Even entered the OZ before his linemates.

Maybe I’m just not noticing the slow speed as much as you guys. *shrugs*

54. Professor Q says:

stush18: Should have had two assists.

Who was the shit that scored off of his pass?

It was Daniel Hardie. And yeah, that actually was kind of weird and a bit disrespectful. But don’t know him nor how he usually is, obviously.

55. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar: Chances of him agreeing to come out west – likely slim to none.

Never give up on McDavid. Jagr loves him, he loves Jagr, it’s a perfect match. Plus we almost had him before…

56. Thinker says:

I don’t see any bakers, but they cut one butcher. Too bad. Nuge could use some protein.

russ99:

This could have massive implications to all contact sports.

One could also guess that he played with concussion symptoms somewhere along the way…i.e. playing before recovering from a concussion.

58. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

The Original JDî: Let’s hope that the leaguecloses that Lupul.

– And set Jo free

59. Thinker says:

godot10: One cannot assume that all of the accumulated head trauma Hernandez experienced came from football, considering his background.

“Even though men’s ice hockey allows body checking, while women’s ice hockey does not, the rate of concussions for men is 46% lower, at 1.47 per 1,000 player hours.”

60. Bank Shot says:

You have to think that the 4th line to start the year is set in stone.

Kassian is already talking about it being the best 4th line in hockey, and I’ve seen a bunch of media on the Oilers website about how great that line is going to be.

That would be just great if they could play a shutdown role.

61. VOR says:

Ashley,

I think you are right that we don’t know enough yet about CTE to be going around making pronouncements.

The questions that we can answer are these:

-should parents with children in contact sports be concerned for the safety of their children? Given no child needs to play football or hockey for that matter in order to be healthy, happy, or fulfilled I would certainly say that until we know more you should err on the side of caution.

-should we be especially concerned for young female athletes? Absolutely. They are so clearly at higher risk of concussion per minute played than age matched male athletes that it would be foolish not to be worried.

-should those of us, I am one of them, who have played huge minutes in violent contact sports, at risk positions and suffered multiple concussions be worried? Hell yes. At the first sign of symptoms go to a doctor immediately.

-should contact sports take steps to reduce contact events? Certainly for younger players and that was true before CTE and it will still be true when we know the full extent of CTE, its causes and effects. Young bodies clearly are more vulnerable and not just to brain trauma but to other injuries.

-should more of us donate our bodies and brains to science and medicine? God yes! Part of what is slowing research on CTE is small sample sized because so few people, including jocks, actually donate their brains for research.

62. GMB3 says:

Professor Q:

Maybe I’m just not noticing the slow speed as much as you guys. *shrugs*

And I may just be overreacting, but I feel I hear/read so much on this blog/msm about the importance of speed in today’s game and he looked slow to me. He is a very smart player though which helps negate the speed issue

63. OriginalPouzar says:

Bank Shot:
    You have to think that the 4th line to start the year is set in stone.

That would be just great if they could play a shutdown role.

Assuming current health, I think you are right.

Slep being ready could/would have a say in things and Pak has looked good so far but my goodness Khaira has been a player early and that line looks great.

I don’t downplay what an effective 4th line that provides energy, aggression and turnovers with the odd goal means to the team. The ability to roll that line will. Make the more skilled lines more effective.

64. OriginalPouzar says:

Looking forward to seeing the lineup for tonight.

Wondering who JP is going to play with. It’s a big weekend for him. Nuge has played both games so I wonder if Jesse gets a different center? Perhaps even a game with Connor who he has great numbers with (tiny sample size).

65. Woodguy v2.0 says:

stush18: Sure. He also keeps track of “heavy shifts”.

Its becoming more “common knowledge” so more players will talk about it.

I think its best summed up like this (note: I stole this from twitter)

Player A – “I think corsi is dumb”

Also Player A – “we need to get more pucks on net”

66. ashley says:

VOR:
    Ashley,

The questions that we can answer are these:

Agree on all points. Except for maybe rushing to the doctor. There is not much for the doctor to do beyond diagnosing someone as possibly having symptoms relating to CTE which is really just a doctor’s guess for the most part as there are lots of things that can cause symptoms of CTE and the only way to know it’s there is to put some brain on a slide under the microscope. A good doctor will look into other causes and may ultimately come to a completely different diagnosis.

So the doctor visit could wait a week or two if there are other things going on.

This is very trendy right now with the public. It’s all the buzz. At youth sports it’s on the tip of everyone’s tongue. The kids are also hypersensitive. At evaluations the other day, one of the kids tripped over the threshold getting onto the ice and came over to me to ask if I think she has a concussion. I’ll get this question several times a week from the young athletes I coach.

Sometimes things are more common in one group of people or geographic area because they diagnose it differently or use a lower threshold or different test. This may be the case with females in sport.

As an example, for a decade, researchers were trumpeting that the incidence of breast cancer was increasing which got a lot of media interviews for researchers and breast health doctors. Everyone was talking about it for years until one young phd student published a simple paper to show that the increasing incidence is directly correlated with the increase in screening for breast cancer, and geographical differences in incidence can be entirely attributed to the availability of breast screening.

There is still so, so much we don’t know. This CTE story is, perhaps, 3% told. We’re at the prologue, just about to start chapter 1.

67. OriginalPouzar says:

Per Rishaug, Oilers and Maroon’s agent are having preliminary discussion on a new contract.

Very interesting – seems a little early to me and maybe not the best idea by our management considering Maroon is coming off a career year and I don’t see his value being any higher at any point – I expect a nice year for him but not quite approaching 30 goals and among the lead leaders in ES goals.

If he’s willing to sign for 3-4 years at an AAV at $3.5M or below then go for it – if not, I’m not so sure.

68. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Player A – “I think corsi is dumb”
    Also Player A – “we need to get more pucks on net”

BINGO

69. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:

Sail on Nuge.

70. OmJo says:

Dee Dee:

“Duchene skated on a line with rookie left wing Alex Kerfoot (one goal, one assist) and right wing Nail Yakupov (three assists).”

Play the damn kid with skill and good things will happen….

71. OmJo says:

Thinker: Not making an argument, but just found this interesting. Apparently women are way more likely to sustain concussions in all sports.

That’s actually quite shocking. Where are their concussions coming from?

72. LMHF#1 says:

OriginalPouzar:

If you have a good finance guy (or a mind for business), want a more stable life for the family, and see a chance to be part of something people will remember, this is a prudent course where you won’t actually leave dollars on the table long-term. Good on him if this is the case.

73. Pink Socks says:

LMHF#1: You’d think this would only be entertained if he’s willing to sign at a good number.

If you have a good finance guy, want a more stable life for the family, and see a chance to be part of something people will remember, this is a prudent course where you won’t actually leave dollars on the table long-term. Good on him if this is the case.

Yes I agree. If he puts up 20-30 goals again he’s a $4m+ player on the open market. If either side entertains an extension at this point it would have to be very beneficial for the Oilers, like <$3m beneficial, and in 19's favor it probably extends a couple of years longer than it should. Something along the lines of $12-$14m for 5 years.

74. Grading Chiarelli: Edmonton Oilers Summer Moves (Part III) says:

[…] Edmonton Oilers have quickly narrowed down their team to only those players who really have a chance at making this year’s roster. There’s no […]

75. Grading Chiarelli: Oilers Summer Moves (Part III) – A.I.O.S.N. says: