CRUISING

The Edmonton Oilers won another game last night against an inferior opponent. The Vancouver Canucks didn’t dress an NHL team and I expect that organization was satisfied with the effort from their end. Edmonton’s crew had some wobble in goal and chaos on defense, but I’m not sure it’s fair to expect a jam up, jelly tight 60 minutes against a crew like last night’s opposition. Four games, four wins, and some real signs of excellent depth at the pro level and outstanding talent on the way. We’re one week in, the NHL players have held serve. What will this week bring us?

DEFENSE

• Yohann Auvitu had an adventurous game, chaos and captivation in equal parts. I like his game with the puck on his stick, but he needs to tighten up defensively. Very creative, impatient for the puck.
  • Mark Fayne was on the good end of the possession but took penalties and was not in good places defensively. I don’t think he was going to make the team but am sure he was disappointed with the effort.
  • Oscar Klefbom is a wonderful young player, he does it all. Still some coverage gaps and I wish he didn’t block shots, but mobile, great passer, howitzer and a great future.
  • Adam Larsson played a solid defensive game, didn’t ramble much and I think he should do it a little more often. He is going to play a lot this season, hope we don’t see much more of him in exhibition games.
  • Keegan Lowe had a good night to my eye, he’s a Chiarelli-type. Rugged, hammers people and battles, the goal should have counted. I believe he’ll play in the NHL this season.
  • Ryan Mantha stayed longer than expected on merit but I think last night’s game will be the last time we see him in preseason. He had a brain blip on the second goal, offering no challenge on a free range Canuck who broke in and scored from long range. Still, impressive overall. Will he get some NHL time this winter?
  • Laurent Brossoit continued to make spectacular stops while also allowing goals where he didn’t move at all. Nerves? Playing like Cam Talbot is going to play 73 games again.

FORWARDS

• Kailer Yamamoto had a helluva game, really liked both goals and expect he’s earned another game. He must have touched the puck on 25 different occasions last night, extremely impressive game.
  • Iiro Pakarinen reminded us all of his cannon, and also showed his ability to play a very physical game. The underlying numbers have never been especially complimentary but you can see why the coach loves him.
  • Chris Kelly needed a good night at 5×5 and I think he got it. Solid again on the PK and we’ll see if he gets another lash before the end of camp. I don’t think he has separated himself from others, but we shouldn’t discount management’s love of experience.
  • Leon Draisaitl was outstanding, the most impressive moments being his goal, assist and a bomb from the high slot via a broken play and pass from Klefbom. He’s a fun player to watch.
  • Drake Caggiula had some impressive moments followed by genuinely curious, borderline inexplicable ones. I’m not sure what else to say. He can find the puck and do good things, but his “Hemsky round the world” play was ill advised and badly executed. He is posting offense in preseason, but he might be too much of a soloist for Leon’s line.
  • Milan Lucic is much faster based on early returns, he turned the puck over a few times and seemed to lack chem with Caggiula. I’m not sure that trio is going to work. The big man’s passing ability was on display several times, including a nifty feed on Edmonton’s first goal of the game.
  • Grayson Downing had a couple of good looks during the second period, he might be the top offensive center in Bakersfield this year.
  • Ty Rattie had his best game, played well with and without the puck. Good passer, creative.
  • Joey Laleggia is a great skater and a responsible winger. He had four shots and two other shot attempts, and that was outside a feature role. A player to follow in Bakersfield, he is on the verge of making NHL debut.
  • Mitch Callahan hasn’t shown as much as hoped during training camp, still think he has some of the Matt Hendricks in him. Seems frustrated with his own game, might be putting too much pressure on himself.
  • Patrick Russell got an extra game because of his impressive performance in Winnipeg, but couldn’t follow it up with another one.
  • Brad Malone was solid on the PK and very physical. I don’t know his role in Bakersfield but it was good to see him get 4×5 minutes tonight along with the EV minutes.

KAILER YAMAMOTO

You can’t go fast enough to get there early, but you can flourish in the games put in front of you. Kailer Yamamoto’s hockey sense and tremendous skill were on full display last night. I was looking to see if he could create offense while playing with something less than a ridiculous center, the answer came back yes. I liked his power-play goal because it showed great instinct and quickness. People are locked in with their early bets now, forced to defend bets made long ago. I hope you find the time to enjoy what is happening here, this is a wonderful young player who does in fact have more offensive talent than any pure RW on the roster. Where that lands him is blowing in the wind.

• Todd McLellan on Yamamoto: “He knows how to use his size and the more structured he gets, the better he plays. He can anticipate where players are and he plays better with higher end players. As camp dwindles, we expect him to get better. We expect him to push for a spot.” Source

IIRO PAKARINEN

• Todd McLellan on Pakarinen: “I’m happy for Pak, obviously he had a tough year last year. He knows he’s competing for icetime, maybe not a job but icetime. He showed up today and he competed really hard. The two goals were great, but the competitiveness in his game, playing hard all over the rink, getting the puck in and out when he needs to, the battles on the penalty kill, those were all noticed as well.” Source

Pakarinen entered camp with enough questions about him (coming off injury) to be less than a lock for the roster, but McLellan’s words suggest he is at least 14F as we proceed into the final full week of camp. That cannon of a shot is a useful tool, I always wonder why he doesn’t use it more and why they don’t try him on the point.

FILIP BERGLUND

The game is still going, Filip Berglund has his first goal of the season. Looks like he is second pairing in this game and may be playing left side. All kinds of good arrows early in Berglund’s season.

JESSE PULJUJARVI

The big Finn will play tonight based on earlier reports and will have an opportunity to answer the challenges of Kailer Yamamoto and Drake Caggiula. Anton Slepyshev is still idling in the driveway. Puljujarvi needs to announce his presence with authority, if not tonight then this week. It’s important to remember what kind of player JP is, and that success for him is going to look different out there. Jesse Puljujarvi is a brilliant prospect, I’d bet money he has a long and distinguished NHL career as a strong two-way winger and maybe even more than that when all is said and done. Young players don’t arrive at a specific time, you can’t make an appointment. Jesse Puljujarvi hasn’t yet made the Edmonton Oilers but a strong showing tonight will go a long way to getting it done. Young people sometimes need a break to go their way, to feel they belong, and perhaps that’s all that is left with Puljujarvi.

91 Responses to "CRUISING"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

[quote=’Pouzar’ pid=’779944′ dateline=’1506137916′]
    That was indeed a fun game to watch.

Oilers were the better team for pretty much the entire game but they should be with one NHL line and one NHL d-pairing. Canucks came on with some garbage time in the 3rd.

LB was a little shaky – one weak goal and the the other 2 goals weren’t “no-chancers” by any stretch. A big save on a breakaway down by 1 at the end of the 1st and another breakaway save in the third.

Dria and Milan were playing with the opposition for large portions of the game. Milan was carrying the puck and dangling a bit and Leon was just doing whatever he wanted. I didn’t think Drake was as good as his linemates but it wasn’t like there was 100% effort – he was better in the third.

Neither Rattie nor Laleggia did all that much – Rattie was much more noticeable though and I hear he was quite good in the first part of the first period when I didn’t have a feed.

Pakarinan with another great game – that like with Yamamoto and Kelly were too much for the opposition to handle. Pak had 2 goals on 2 very nice shots and almost had another.

Kelly had his best game but as a guy with 800 games, I would expect him to be able to do so.

Yamamoto was great – buried two goals – both off nice passes but he buried them. He was all over the puck and was one of the better Oilers. Not sure what it means against a team of basically no NHLers except that he’d likely be elite in the AHL. Will be interesting to see what he does tomorrow night. He’s an exciting kid, the puck seems to find him in open spaces.

Fayne was terrible.

Keegan Lowe had a pretty good game – scored a goal that was waived off but should have counted.

Callahan, Malone, Downing will be re-assigned – AHL players

Mantha made some nice plays but also had some terrible passes – this is likely his last game.
    [/quote]

2. NativeNotFrench says:

Before the preseason started I wanted them to cut Kailer early because I was worried he would force the issue and from a money perspective next year is when we need him more but man how do you send this guy down. I am so impressed with his game and while I would prefer he adds some man strength against the weaker comp he looks fine. I want to see him against a “real” NHL team and see if he looks as effective. Exciting player anyway and he is making it interesting

3. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March!

Returns for another season!

Here’s how to play: SIMPLY enter the amount of points you expect the Edmonton Oilers to get during the 2017-18 season;

At the end of the season the player(s) with the closest total wins!

It’s easy!!

contest open until the opening puck drop of the 2017-18 season

NativeNotFrench:

5. tcho says:

Did anyone else notice the tell in the post-game with McLellan? He was being asked about Iiro, and he (paraphrasing) said that Pak’s battle wasn’t to make the team but for playing time/position. Iiro the hero’s on the team imo.

Hunter – please put me down for 87 points (injuries, faltering of younger players). And thanks for doing this again.

6. Pouzar says:

Da Berg!!!!!!!!

7. Pouzar says:

Won’t be able to watch tonight but being in Peg I will be able to PVR at least.

tcho:

Yes. It was quoted above.

9. jm363561 says:

“Iiro Pakarinen reminded us all of his cannon”.

Maybe I have not been paying attention but until yesterdays attempt to decapitate Cam I was unaware of the “cannon”. Pak was injured and missed most of last preseason IIRC. Maybe this year he has a chance to establish himself (notwithstanding his attempts to kill our beloved goal tender).

It might also show how tough it will for Sleps if he misses the preseason.

Berglund now at 1-1-2 in that game.

11. Pouzar says:

jm363561:
    “Iiro Pakarinen reminded us all of his cannon”.

It might also show how tough it will for Sleps if he misses the preseason.

Pak can shoot the pill.

12. Dino says:

i would absolutely love to see Yamamoto play with Mcdavid just once this preseason. Even if just on the PP. that could be a very deadly duo in the upcoming years.

13. geowal says:

NativeNotFrench:

Do the Carolin Hurricanes count in this regard? Because that’s probably best you can do. I guess they have some good D, if they dress.

14. jm363561 says:

Lowetide: I love watching him win puck battles against players 50-60 pounds heavier and six inches taller. He’s a unique player because of his intelligence and quickness.

I just say a prayer every time he goes into such puck battles.

15. geowal says:

Well for those who “want” Yamamoto sent down, Pakarinen legitimately grabbing a roster spot makes it easier. As the waiver eligibles, it is now up to Slepy and JP (and maybe Kelly) to hold the fort.

16. Jordan says:

I have no concerns about Kailer’s ability to play in the NHL now.

He has the tools to succeed.

My concern is about size, age, playing time, and the risk of injury.

Losing playing time at this age is the easiest way to screw up a promising career. He is still a somewhere between a boy and a man physically, and would be safer playing against players his own age, because there wouldn’t be a 50-60lb difference and 6 inches difference for most of them. If he plays in the NHL, and gets hurt, the injury is likely to be worse, which means he’s more likely to miss more time.

If he wins the job, I understand, but its a much safer bet for the young man to go back to the WHL.

While others may say that’s part of the reason they’d rather see Jesse up here – he’s more physically mature… I wonder about that. Certainly he’s a larger body, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s more physically prepared, nor does it mean he’s any less likely to be injured. ANd the consequences for that injury are the same.

I my mind, the greatest risk for young players is always injury – not if they have the skills to play at a given level.

17. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Jesse is 3 months older than Kailer and is still going through the adjustment to North America period.

RW is going to go from desert to dessert in a year with these two guys.

18. flyfish1168 says:

this week well tell us a little more about our team. Play well get a little tougher and tighter with more cusp players and veteran presences.

Kailor is a very talented player that is skillfully ready for the NHL. But his body needs to mature against men. This is why I say he is not ready. JMHO

19. geowal says:

Total TOI was normal for Klefbom/Larson? EVs looks okay

20. NativeNotFrench says:

Woodguy v2.0:

RW is going to go from desert to dessert in a year with these two guys.

Absolutely. Such different players but man am I excited to see these two put it all together

21. jm363561 says:

Woodguy v2.0:

RW is going to go from desert to dessert in a year with these two guys.

Just love the prose man. Keep smokin’ it. (OK, maybe I shouldn’t post from a Manila bar Saturday night.)

Berglund now 1-2-3 +4 in 17:23 on the evening. Music!

23. SwedishPoster says:

Berglund with his first SHL goal today, he’s also added two helpers for good measure. His Skellefteå team is demolishing Rögle, 7-2 late in the third. They gave him a shot on the first pairing with Mike Kostka out. I guess you can say he grabbed the opportunity. Great for a youngster to have a game like this early on, showing the coach “look what happens when you play me”.

Rögle is really shitty though.

24. Evilas says:

Kailer is getting his at bats and is killing it, even though his linemates aren’t top 6, which is where he will play once he makes it as an NHLer, which looks.to be next year. They might surprise and decide to give him a few games, but I think it’s in every ones best interest to send him out once camp breaks. He will come back next year with more experience and more hunger and dare I say, he will give them no choice but to keep him around.

Someone mentioned Gagner in his first year just slayed it in preseason, does anyone have access to such historical data? Who have been the most prolific rookies during exhibition season?

I watched PRV get the hatty in one game, Lander was racking up the points in a recent pre-season, going way back I remember Marc Habscheid really killed it in his first year, but in the end he was sent back to Saskatoon before the season.

I am just wondering where Kailer.ranks…..

Also Chris Kelly hasn’t shown anything to me. It looked like he was riding the coattails of 2 hot wingers, who were eating the lunch of interior opponents.

I really like OV2, I’d like to see him paired with Benning in one of these games.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

I assume tonight’s Oiler lineup will have the 1st, 3rd and 4th lines as well as the two bottom pairing D.

Kailer will get in again, maybe with the likes of Rattie and ????

I think WIN will have another weaker lineup which will be disappointing.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

tcho:

We know the coach likes Pak and he has had a great camp (even before last night).

The roster is set and includes Khaira, Slepy and Pak.

The only question right now is JP or Yamamoto.

Evilas:
    Kailer is getting his at bats and is killing it, even though his linemates aren’t top 6, which is where he will play once he makes it as an NHLer, which looks.to be next year.They might surprise and decide to give him a few games, but I think it’s in every ones best interest to send him out once camp breaks.He will come back next year with more experience and more hunger and dare I say, he will give them no choice but to keep him around.

Someone mentioned Gagner in his first year just slayed it in preseason, does anyone have access to such historical data?Who have been the most prolific rookies during exhibition season?

I am just wondering where Kailer.ranks…..

Also Chris Kelly hasn’t shown anything to me.It looked like he was riding the coattails of 2 hot wingers, who were eating the lunch of interior opponents.

I can pass along a few posts from the era

28. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Berglund now 1-2-3 +4 in 17:23 on the evening. Music!

Wow – that is AWESOME!

I’ve never been more in tune with the team’s prospects, especially overseas than I am right now.

I owe that to this site and I am very grateful.

29. SwedishPoster says:

Berglund ended the night 1-2-3 pts, +4, 6 pim and 17:30 mins of ice time. The TOI would have been higher if not for a 2+2 roughing penalty after some rumble with an opponent in the third.

30. kgo says:

People need to relax about Kailer, the kid is looking great but most of the commentary here is over-blowing his performances. 2 goals yes, one surely wouldn’t have squeaked past an NHL goaler, the other was a sick feed from Drai but probably doesn’t get past an NHL goalie.

Kailer has a quick release, great instincts etc… but needs to shoot 10,000 more pucks before he makes this team.

31. Snowman says:

Virtually no chance Kelly makes the team. Khaira and Pakarinen have ensured that. His best bet was to be a PK guy but Pakarinen played the PK a couple years ago and with Khaira’s speed he’ll have no problem with it (assuming he can learn a system). So in my mind Kelly is a non starter.

Yamamoto is such an intriguing player. You just want to watch him. He’s like Mcdavid in that way. Things just happen when he’s playing. He’s a very unique talent in the Oilers orginization. I feel like he should go back to junior so he can develop but if he keeps making things happen and happen and happen as the competition gets better does he need to develop? I guess you could make the argument that he’s physically not ready for the big league but can you cut him for that? If he keeps scoring and scoring and producing chances and creating turnovers I don’t think you can. I really didn’t expect his game to be so well rounded. He’s not a Johnny Hockey type. He’s got so much sense on both sides of the puck. He’s a monster in the making.

On the flip side Puljijarvi is another monster in the making. An opposite monster but a monster nontheless. How the Oilers scored a tiny two way potentially elite offensive talent and a swift skating two way winger who is mammoth pisscutter in the making…..

I used to think that this year was probably the best bet to win a cup… I’m not sure anymore.. Two or three years from now watch out.

When you get stuck in the details of every move Chiarelli has made you can easily get frustrated with it but when you step back and look at where this organization was to where it is now..my god. I know some of that is luck (Mcdavid) but you cannot ignore the progress is astounding in general organizational depth.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

SwedishPoster:

Thanks for the intel.

I look for Willie to match in his next game.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

With respect to Josh Leivo:

That ES P/60 is fantastic.

With that said, who does he knock off the current Oiler roster?

I think the roster is set up front with Slepy, Khaira and Pakarinan each making the team. The only question is if Puljijarvi or Yamamoto takes that last spot and I think we can all agree that, even if JP gets sent to the AHL, he’ll be back when Yama gets sent back to Spokane to slide his contract.

I guess there is a spot if both those players are not on the opening night roster or there are injuries.

34. Pouzar says:

Berglund now 1-2-3 +4 in 17:23 on the evening. Music!

We finally have our Karlsson!

35. Pouzar says:

SwedishPoster:

Rögle is really shitty though.

How is his skating?

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Pasquale placed on waivers for purposes of re-assignment.

Thought he might get the game tonight given he was still in camp.

37. NativeNotFrench says:

Question, I seem to remember reading about this somewhere and if there is a source or a previous discussion feel free to point me in that direction, how much do we feel previous experience as a penalty killer matters?

If the coach has a good PK system and you have good skaters who adapt to the system that should theoretically be a better penalty killing unit than say a coach with an average PK system full of guys who have been successful previously right? What I am getting at is all the talk of signing Kelly as 4L/ PK player but in my opinion PK players should be replacement level in a good system. Thoughts?

38. teddyturnbuckle says:

Better to take the Mark Scheifele approach with Kailer instead of the Nuge approach when it comes to keeping him this year. Even the most talented prospects can be damaged by bringing them into the NHL too early. Keep him for 9 games at the most and let him be the best player in the WHL. Next year he comes to camp confident and blows the doors off!

39. SwedishPoster says:

Pouzar: How is his skating?

Ok I’d say, he’s a bit odd in that his straight line skating is his weak point while he’s pretty good laterally and backwards. He needs to improve on turning from backwards to forward as well but overall he’s alright for the SHL level.

40. geowal says:

Are you doing Saturday sports extra today?

41. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Berglund now 1-2-3 +4 in 17:23 on the evening. Music!

Did the SHL start giving out 2nd assists?

3pts in one game for Dman in the league is pretty rare.

42. Woodguy v2.0 says:

SwedishPoster:

Rögle is really shitty though.

Love the updates SP!

geowal:
    Are you doing Saturday sports extra today?

44. jtblack says:

*** Prospect Update*** Stuart Skinner

Gets the Win last night; 2 GA on 39 shots. Very tidy effort by Skinner. Nothing spectacular, more about being in the right position and using his size. A good start!

45. OriginalPouzar says:

Unforutnately, as predicted, now the best lineup for the Jets is projected:

Jets Projected Lineup:

Nic Petan – Jack Roslovic Kyle Connor
    Shawn Matthias – Adam Lowry – Andrew Copp
    Brendan Lemieux – Michael Sgarbossa – JC Lipon
    Chase De Leo – Michael Spacek – Brandon Tanev

Josh Morrissey – Dustin Byfuglien
    Dmitry Kulikov – Tucker Poolman
    Julian Melchiori – Ben Chiarot

Michael Hutchinson
    Eric Comrie

46. OriginalPouzar says:

How are we supposed to truly analyze Yamamoto without real NHL players to play against?

47. OriginalPouzar says:

Pre-game interviews are being streamed line right now and Maroon is playing which essentially confirms the first line should be in.

48. OriginalPouzar says:

No Yamamoto tonight which makes sense to me.

He can’t play every game and they need to see him play against more NHL talent so best to wait until they face a better lineup.

49. geowal says:

Lowetide: Yes.

👍

50. Bruce McCurdy says:

OriginalPouzar:

Home games are almost useless in that respect. NHL ripping off its fans, but what else is new?

51. PerryK says:

hunter1909,

I will go with 93. So far, I have been off by 10 or more each year!

52. Oil2Oilers says:

NativeNotFrench,

I agree with the line of thinking your going down here. The Oilers have been out right idiotic maximizing the value of top prospects. Mainly because the team sucked, the team no longer sucks.

* Nuge probably should have gotten his 9 games and returned to Jr. But the team needed a #1 centre

* The handling of Yakupov was heartbreaking

* I can think of 8 million reasons that Draisaitl not having 9 and gone to Jr and the World Jr’s was idiotic

* Pulujarvi being sent down after a 9 game try out with a late season call back probably would have been better for his confidence than failing down to the AHL in January.

Yamamoto is showing better promise than I dared hope. I am excited to see him in the NHL, but for the sake of the team I hope they give him no more than a 9 game taste. 3 full years at rockie servitude pay when he is a no doubt NHLer, rather than burning 1 or 2 years treating it as a development league.

Note: Hall and McDavid were ready because: freaks

53. tcho says:

OriginalPouzar,

I admit, I was king of hoping that Pak wasn’t going to make the team. Aim higher (no intended reference to the shot off Talbot’s collar bone in practice the other day), I say.

54. Woogie63 says:

In hindsight,

Driasaitl and Puliarjarvi weren’t ready for the NHL as 18 year old teenagers. Let’s be smart with a very promising Yamamoto.

55. Bank Shot says:

Preserving Yamamoto’s 3 years ELC is crucial to a team that is going to be capped out to high heaven over the next few seasons.

He’s looked really good no doubt through preseason, but the NHL season is a long grind, and he’s realistically going to put up maybe 40-50 points over a full season if played in a prominent role. Give him one more year to percolate. Next year it won’t matter as his ELC starts ticking no matter what so whether its AHL or NHL its all good.

I think Caggiula was a little uneven last night, but he showed that he still has that great footspeed, tenacity, and the skill to play with talent. On a team that generally lacks footspeed up front outside of McDavid, I think Drake will continue to get a lot of minutes this season just like he did in last years playoffs.

56. OriginalPouzar says:

Bruce McCurdy: In his first two games at Calgary and at Winnipeg, Yamamoto played against Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Hamonic, Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers, Kulikov.

He absolutely did but lets not forget that, in the Calgary game, he was just OK, not great – no shots on net until the empty net goal.

He was better in the WIN game but their lineup still had half non-NHLers and he was fairly dominant last night against complete non-AHLers and sheltered behind Drai/Lucis as far as getting the top defence.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

The verbal that blowing that first year of Drai’s ELC is costing the team cap doesn’t make sense to me.

Yes, its causing a cap hit for this year that it otherwise wouldn’t have but we have room for it this year without any issue. If he was going in to the third year of his ELC right now, imagine the cap hit he’d require after he has another phenomenal season, which he is very likely to do.

Blowing through the first year of that ELC got him re-signed a year earlier and likely saves cap space in the long run.

If he comes close to duplicating last year and re-signs in the same years as Eichel and Matthews, i could imagine him being at $10M.

58. McSorley33 says:

LT has been insinuating this for time…..but Kailer’s hockey sense just simply stand out.

I was/am firmly in the camp of sending him down…..but what do you do when he may be
    Outplaying the RW competition? ( yes, he has not seen any real NHL lineups. But neither has his
    Competition)

The young man is forcing the issue. Great problem to have….

Further, agree on LTs take on Caggs….I like the player but his ability to mesh find chemistry with his linemates is painful sometimes.

59. Newton says:

The battle level and defensive IQ Yammy is showing at his age/development is truly breathtaking to watch – add the value added offence and YAMMO!! At the very least if he pushes Pujlu and goes back with loads of confidence this has been a tremendous camp for him.

60. The Original JDî says:

OriginalPouzar: Brendan Lemieux

spits

61. McSorley33 says:

Bank Shot,

Well said on Kailer

62. Oil2Oilers says:

OriginalPouzar,

And the Oilers could of signed him this year, a year early just like the did with McDavid. It was a poor bet at the time, no matter how it worked out.

63. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Woogie63:
    In hindsight,

Driasaitl and Puliarjarvi weren’t ready for the NHL as 18 year old teenagers.Let’s be smart with a very promising Yamamoto.

Also in hindsight, if we had not kept drai on the roster, it may have have changed our final rank in the NHL standings, and we would not have been able to draft McDavid. Everything that happens in an NHL season has implications on the future of draft positions. In our case, it was fate that McDavid became an Oiler after all the miss-management and injuries, etc.

64. hunter1909 says:

Re September Uber Rookies:

One of the hilarious things about following sports is the way fans turn myopic; in this case the usual story of the 1st round pick who’s arrived in camp more motivated than anyone else before blowing the doors off in meaningless September situations which have no bearing on April hockey.

Oiler fans haven’t yet realised their team is now viewed as near elite. Gone are the days of desperately coming up with trades for star players, wondering where to find decent bottom 6 players etc.

McDavid trumps all.

65. SwedishPoster says:

If I didn’t make it clea

Woodguy v2.0: Love the updates SP!

I just realized that Filip had a Gordie Howe hattrick(+ an assist) . A goal, two assist and a fight. Though he lost the fight pretty handedly.

66. OriginalPouzar says:

Oil2Oilers:
    OriginalPouzar,

Could have but very well may not have – Leon may have preferred to wait as well.

Either way, we can’t go back and re-write history but there is a very decent chance that, if he was just entering his 3rd year of his ELC now, he could be even more expensive for the the next decade.

67. OriginalPouzar says:

Some Berglund highlights (seems there may be a RH PP option here in the future)::

68. speeds says:

NativeNotFrench:

Different story when it comes to 2020/21, when he’d be without contract summer 2020 if he starts this year, vs. heading into the last year of his ELC if he were to start in the NHL next year.

69. The Original JDî says:

Forwards: McDavid, Maroon, Strome, Jokinen, Nugent-Hopkins, Puljujarvi, Kelly, Malone, P. Russell, Khaira, Letestu, Kassian

Defencemen: K. Russell, Benning, Nurse, Gryba, Simpson, Jones

Goalies: Talbot, Ellis

I hope Kassian opens with the Krazyeyes directed right at Lemieux (spits), and goes up from there.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:

Kailer will get in again, maybe with the likes of Rattie and ????

I think WIN will have another weaker lineup which will be disappointing.

Malone/Kelly/Russel as the non-NHL line and Jones/Simpson as the non-NHL pairing

71. speeds says:

Bank Shot:

AFAIK, his ELC wouldn’t start next year if he played in the AHL all year* – it would slide again due to a slide rule quirk regarding signing age.

*edit to add: That is assuming he doesn’t play in the NHL this year, or at least not enough games to start the contract.

72. NativeNotFrench says:

speeds: If he starts this year, he’ll cost the same next year as he would if he starts in the NHL next year.

Yes, i agree, I just mean we can kick the can three years down the road while hopefully getting a better player next year when the crunch will really hit. Not a make or break thing on the team this year I am just penny pinching

73. speeds says:

NativeNotFrench,

for sure, that future cheap year could be extremely valuable, particularly if Yamamoto wouldn’t be much better this year than the other options.

On the other hand, if Yamamoto is a legit upgrade to the team, this year is very valuable as well. And if the Oilers think there’s a half decent chance they’d lose the last year of Yamamoto’s (or a good chunk of it) ELC in 20/21 due to a lockout anyways, AND they think he’s an upgrade now, maybe they keep him past 9 GP, depending of course on how those games go, should he play them.

74. OriginalPouzar says:

Lagesson continues to play lots of minutes, 22:50 in a 2-1 shootout loss.

These are huge minutes for a young d-man in a top European league (which loves veterans).

75. New Improved Darkness says:

When I cast myself back upon the remarkable tidings of last season, I find myself mired in wet sand, haplessly conjoined with Buttercup.

The farm boy had eyes like the sea before a storm, but who cared about eyes? And he had pale blond hair, if you liked that sort of thing. And he was broad enough in the shoulders, but not all that much broader than the Nuge. And certainly he was muscular, but anybody would be muscular who trained all day. And his skin was pocked and wan, but that came again from training; in the rink all day, who wouldn’t be wan? And he wasn’t that much taller than the Crozz either, although his stomach was flatter, but that was because the farm boy was youngest permanent captain in NHL history.

Buttercup rose up in the weed bed. It must be our lucky walrus incisors. The farm did have Conor McDavid, give credit where credit was due. Dazzling and dashing, particularly set against any five opponents.

Damn those lucky walrus incisors!

And so, the piece I just read elsewhere about Tube and Jar and Chalassian on the cusp of rocking a fourth line finally vasodilates my frigid–feverish heart with a nipwee half gill of nitroglycerin.

———

Please mark me down for 105, Hunter, by the Grace of the Elusive Snark.

76. Pescador says:

New Improved Darkness,

Welcome back NID,
    How is your lemon tree?
    Please post moar,
    My brain matter has decreased sharply during your absence in this long solstice.

77. Pescador says:

The Original JDî,

Lemieux?
    Denis or Claude?
    Edit: Ahh, son of Claude.
    *spits*

78. Woodguy v2.0 says:

In regards to the concussion discussion of a few days ago, I’m not sure if anyone posted this link:

The tool is a neck collar that pinches the juglar a bit to force more blood into your brain, which lessens the probability of concussion.

Based on how woodpeckers can do what they do and not hurt themselves.

Interesting stuff.

Write more please.

81. Professor Q says:

Pescador:
    The Original JDî,

Lemieux?
    Denis or Claude?
    Edit: Ahh, son of Claude.
    *spits*

Son of Claude sounds like an intriguing comic or B-Grade TV series.

82. russ99 says:

Yamamoto can’t be sent to the AHL until next year. CHL agreement, he’s going to be 19 in a week, CHL players have to go back to CHL at ages 18 and 19.

Puljujarvi didn’t count since he played the Finnish league.

83. Moose says:

My two cents weird observation on Brossoit:

He seems to have a bit of Tommy Salo-syndorme. It appears he has trouble tracking pucks from distance. In tight, and below the circles, I like his game. But he tends to have trouble finding the puck and/or losing his angles from shot far out. Whatever. I’m no goalie guru, but I don’t trust him. I have a feeling Nick Ellis will be the back-up by Christmas.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99:

Puljujarvi didn’t count since he played the Finnish league.

This is correct – was someone saying otherwise?

What Yamamoto showed last night, is that he could likely be very good in the AHL.

Last night didn’t really have any bearing on NHL-readiness but it showed that he is likely AHL-ready – unfortunately, its not an option. I understand why the agreement is there with the CHL but sometimes is a bit disappointing.

With that said, I think, even if given the option, he may go back to Spokane anyways so that his contract would slide and we aren’t using up the 1st year while he’s in the AHL.

85. AntsOfTheSky says:

Hey Hunter, I’ll take 107 points this season. Same as McDavid 😉

86. Bank Shot says:

AntsOfTheSky:
    Hey Hunter, I’ll take 107 points this season.Same as McDavid

Why do you hate Mcdavid?

87. rickithebear says:

People are nuts!

3.5 to 4 million for Maroon!

Higher end offensive players like Drai and Eberle experience
    15 to 25% increases in performance.

They can play independent of Mcdavid.

Yamamoto should not play with Mcd.

You want low cap players in the 1 – 2m range who experience marron and yak did with Mcdavid.
    Maroon
    68gm 8g 19a 27p -4
    6evg 16eva 22evp
    With mcd
    81gm 29g (322%) 18a 47p (174%)
    81gm 25evg (417%) 14eva 39evp (177%)

Yakupov
    68gm 11g 13a 24p -30
    68gm 8 evg 9eva 17evp
    With Mcd
    68gm 11g 45a (346%) 56p (233%) +11
    68gm 6evg 41eva (455%) 47evp (276%)

We see 2,3,4 fold increass in off performance and dramatic +ve goal diff.

12.5 million + 2, 3, 4m for wingers with an 80g line likely.

88. jake70 says:

Lowetide: I can pass along a few posts from the era

Nice to see an old post. Before my time hanging out. I see you crapped all over Sebastian Bisaillon in the j moss post game…..lol…after all he has done for this organization. ‘-)

89. pitlickdinner says:

That Yamamoto stick whip seems pretty effective at separating the puck from even experienced NHL D.

90. matt says:

Woodguy v2.0:

RW is going to go from desert to dessert in a year with these two guys.

This is what the Oilers had better be telling Maroon’s agent: get on board the Stanley train with a number we can afford while you still can.

91. jfry says:

Woodguy v2.0:

Based on how woodpeckers can do what they do and not hurt themselves.

Interesting stuff.

i spent three years dealing with a car accident where my head trauma grew for the next year after. the car accident appeared to be a very very small instance of whiplash. i puked daily. flourescent bile. it was horrible. couldn’t remember how to spell my name (was in the middle of a master’s degree). had to write things in a journal so that i could wake up the next morning and remember what i did the day before.

we are not woodpeckers. the woodpecker has thousands of years “darwanising” into that frame.

on those days where it was the worst (lights off, sound off, totally alone). i don’t think a little blood would help. i could feel my brain swishing around and hitting my skull and giving me pains in my legs and making me forget things instantly and acting like a person i wasn’t. took me 6 years to get “normal” again.

you’re a smart guy. that article is a bit like an article supporting fighting in hockey, which we know is going out. NFL is spending a lot of money right now getting articles out supporting their sport (ratings are way down)…please don’t confuse the propaganda with what it’s really like. the really dark stories that people talk about with regards to being afraid of light, life and noise are very true.

never argue for brain damage! a glorified cock ring isn’t the solution.