PS G5 2017-18: JETS AT OILERS

Things are beginning to get serious now, as the junior and AHL players are mostly through their games and the NHLers slide in to replace them. There are 14 men in today’s lineup likely to represent Edmonton opening night 2017-18.

TONIGHT’S ROSTER

• Patrick Maroon (1gp, 1-2-3)—Connor McDavid (1gp, 0-2-2)—Ryan Strome (1gp, 1-1-2)
  • Jussi Jokinen (1gp, 1-2-3)—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (2gp, 1-3-4)—Jesse Puljujarvi (1gp, 0-0-0)
  • Jujhar Khaira (2gp, 2-0-2)—Mark Letestu (2gp, 3-1-4)—Zack Kassian (2gp, 0-1-1)
  • Brad Malone (3gp, 0-0-0)—Chris Kelly (3gp, 0-1-1)—Patrick Russell (3gp, 0-0-0)
  • Kris Russell (1gp, 0-0-0)—Matt Benning (1gp, 0-0-0)
  • Darnell Nurse (1gp, 0-0-0)—Eric Gryba (2gp, 0-0-0)
  • Dillon Simpson (1gp, 0-0-0)—Caleb Jones (1gp, 0-1-1)
  • Cam Talbot (1gp, 0.00 1.000)

There aren’t many bubble players in this lineup, three of the four lines look like opening night editions, plus the top two pairings and starting goaltender. Among the remaining five, I’d say Chris Kelly has the best chance at making it to opening night. Brad Malone, Patrick Russell, Dillon Simpson and Caleb Jones appear destined for Bakersfield but there is some distance to travel before opening night.

JOSH LEIVO

I wrote about Josh Leivo as an option for the Oilers this morning, he might hit the waiver wire in the next 10 days. Toronto has a tremendous group of forwards and something has to give, I’ve been tracking this player for some time. Although there’s not an obvious spot for Leivo on the roster, there are things to consider:

• Kailer Yamamoto may spend the season in junior, meaning he is unavailable to Edmonton.
  • Anton Slepyshev hasn’t played yet and may not be ready for the start of the season.
  • Jesse Puljujarvi may require some time in Bakersfield.

I think it’s fair to say that Ryan Strome, Drake Caggiula and Zack Kassian have made this team full stop as regulars, with Iiro Pakarinen as an extra forward. Adding Leivo gives Edmonton an inexpensive offensive winger who can play either wing and has an impressive (if limited) resume. There is much we don’t know but adding Leivo would increase the depth and balance on this roster. If the team needs to move him later in the year, that doesn’t diminish his value when he’s on the roster.

210 Responses to "PS G5 2017-18: JETS AT OILERS"

Newer Comments »
  1. OriginalPouzar says:

Leivo’s ES P/60 is fantastic.

With that said, who does he knock off the current Oiler roster?

I think the roster is set up front with Slepy, Khaira and Pakarinan each making the team. The only question is if Puljijarvi or Yamamoto takes that last spot and I think we can all agree that, even if JP gets sent to the AHL, he’ll be back when Yama gets sent back to Spokane to slide his contract.

I guess there is a spot if both those players are not on the opening night roster or there are injuries.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Auvitu has all but won the 7D spot (and may even split games or so with Gryba) and I think Stanton has pulled ahead of Simpson for the next on the depth chart. How’s his foot?

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Kelly had his best performance last night but it was against an AHL team so what does that mean?

I think he could be released from his PTO after today’s game but maybe they don’t do that until the end of camp in case injuries pile up in the bottom 6?

Can he sign a real contract with another team while on a PTO? Had the Oilers released Versteeg from his PTO when the flames signed him or had it run its course?

OriginalPouzar:
    Leivo’s ES P/60 is fantastic.

With that said, who does he knock off the current Oiler roster?

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Cuts after this game likely include:

Malone, Mitchell, Laleggia, Russell, Jones, Fayne (who has dropped below Lowe on the depth chart I think).

Perhaps Lowe, Simpson, Rattie go as well.

6. Pouzar says:

I miss Oesterle.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: There’s a finality to your points but I’m not sure we can count on all of the tumblers falling in correct order. Yamamoto going to junior means he is no longer available, Slepyshev’s injury has keep him from playing in any games and we’ve seen JP one game only. The 14th best forward on this roster might be a regular on the second night of the season. If Yamamoto is in junior, Slepyshev is on IR, is that player Chris Kelly? Ty Rattie? Leivo is worth consideration.

You are correct but I am making the assumption that Slepy isn’t on IR – even if he isn’t quite ready to start the season, he may not be placed on IR and take a roster spot as they may not want to lose him for the minimum IR time – I can’t recall if its 7 or 10 days, I think its changed recently.

I think its safe to say that Slepy will be “on the team” – yes, if he goes on IR then a short term roster spot opens up – maybe they would keep Yamamoto or maybe a Rattie.

I would be remiss to sign a player like Kelly (who has only looked decent against a full AHL team) to fill a short-term injury hole.

8. jfry says:

so, lt…

the language of this blog is hinting at oilers using sleppy’s last year of waiver eligibility to their advantage?

9. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar:
    I miss Oesterle.

Blackhawks scouts clearly took note. He’ll make their team as 7D I bet with Franson sliding in as 6D. Smart organization, picking up those two players on the cheap.

jfry:
    so, lt…

I think they’ll want to be absolutely sure about the roster for sure, and if Slepy hits IR and they get a look at Yamamoto while he’s there that may come to pass. The less clear cut things are, and I’m not as certain as our friend Original Pouzar is the more likely we see Peter Chiarelli buy time.

11. Pouzar says:

Centre of attention: Remember he had that wicked game against the blackhawks his first call up, I remember Ference talking him up in the post game saying something like “The way Oesterle handled the puck was amazing for a rookie, I didn’t want to touch the puck my first game to be honest”

They signed his a$$ right away. SIGH.

12. PerryK says:

How about we offer Anaheim Puljujarvi for Manson and pick up Leivo from the waivers?

Sorry, it’s just something that has been rattling around in my brain for a bit. 🙁

13. Woodguy v2.0 says:

I read that as many as 20 teams called Oesterle’s agent. He had his pick.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

I hope this game is either on GameCenter Live or it actually works on the Oilers webpage and isn’t blacked out within the Oilers viewing region like last night – that was BS.

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Looks like its on GameCenter so I should be good. If its blacked out in the Oilers viewing region, I’ll just connect to my work system so the World Wide Web things I’m in Ontario.

16. Lloyd B. says:

OriginalPouzar:

I am likely the least tech savvy guy on the entire internet, not just here, but if you google you tube winnipeg jets you may find success. Or not.

17. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy v2.0: I read that as many as 20 teams called Oesterle’s agent.He had his pick.

The NHL is clearly emphasizing skating more and more. The kid has wheels, not surprised that many teams wanted him.

18. Johnny Larue says:

Today Sleppy said he was about 80% so I don’t think he will be on IR he said he was hoping to play in a couple of exhibition games. Kale has been great but I think it is best for everyone for him to go back to junior. There is absolutely no need to rush him that said he still might get his 8 games in as Don Cherry would say he’s a beauty. The envisioned starting lineup is looking great and I can’t wait for the season to start. On this blog we talk about unicorns but this team is unicorns on steroids 4 strong scoring lines a strong D great goaltending backup notwithstanding. I think we are going to be juggernaut in the West I am trying to temper my expectations but not having much luck. It all starts October 8 against Calgary and I am going to be there with bells on.

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Maksimov with an assist and 3 shots half way through the game – Dogs up 2-0

20. Ryder says:

OriginalPouzar,

The oilers Facebook page has a working stream

21. Johnny Larue says:

Anyone have a YouTube address like last game. After last game I deleted the Oilers app it pissed me off so much.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

Johnny Larue:
    Today Sleppy said he was about 80% so I don’t think he will be on Ir he said he was hoping to play Ina couple of exhibition games. Kale has been great but I think it is best for everyone for him to go back to junior. There is absolutely no need to rush him that said he still might get his 8 games in as Don Cherry would say he’s a beauty. The envisioned starting lineup is looking great and I can’t wait for the season to start. On this blog we talk about unicorns but this team is unicorns on steroids 4 strong scoring lines a strong D great goaltending backup notwithstanding. I think we are going to be juggernaut in the West I am trying to temper my expectations but not having much luck. It all starts October 8 against Calgary and I am going to be there with bells on.

I really hope they don’t forget about the game on Oct 4.

23. flea says:

I wouldn’t mind them signing Kelly if he’s ok spending time in Bakersfield. Their forward depth isn’t great.

24. BlueNoteNorth says:

Available on TSN2 in MB, SK, NWT and NW ON.

25. Frank the dog says:

OriginalPouzar:

Facebook seems to be working well tonight. I was also blacked out last night and I’m right in EDM.

26. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

Yay… I’m in Red Deer and so far oilertv is streaming fine. Again… Yay.

GO OILERS!

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Its on GameCenter as well

28. jzed says:

All right boys, 1st time back since the Peking Duck left me I’ll. Looking forward to Poolparty and Jarjar Binks. Winnipeg D us going to be tired after tonight!

29. OriginalPouzar says:

At some point Auvitu needs to get a game or two with Russell/Benning – depending on how coach thinks he’ll deploy his pairings when he’s in the lineup.

This guy is going to play some games I’m pretty sure and I think he should play at least a game with his potential partner.

30. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: Or, of course, a separate YouTube link is found – I have no idea how to do that.

Really? The how-to obtain streams has been posted In the comment section nearly every single game thread going back a couple of years.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

Great shift by the fourth line (real fourth line).

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Connor dekes Benning out of his shoes and it leads to the first PK opportunity.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Dominant PP for the Jets and they score.

34. Munny says:

Good wake up call for the young pairing.

35. jzed says:

Starting to connect on the short passes and cycling pretty well, Jar Jar’s line looks beast like. Now get the Poolparty started.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Jokinen deflects the Benning point shot.

Tie game.

Someone scored, Someone scored.

38. jzed says:

Start of the Jets long night

39. OriginalPouzar says:

Brad Malone scores seconds later.

40. Munny says:

Someone scored, Someone scored.

lol… Orange Julius and the Mailman

41. jzed says:

Who blasted the D man in the defensive zone, I like

Drinks roll call: CR and ginger this evening at the Lowetide abode.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

So, McDavid can still dish the puck and Maroon still knows how to get open with McDavid – nice save by Hutchinson.

44. jzed says:

Patty better start finishing or the Oilers will lowball him on the extension😉

45. The Original JDî says:

Kozel CZE lager.

46. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

Kelly assists … should we be worried this guy gets a job here?

47. Munny says:

Water here… perhaps apropos as the TV is showing the letter from home scene of Sierra Madre….

48. OriginalPouzar says:

Water – so much water – drink more water than any person I’ve ever know.

49. Todd Macallan says:

Drinks roll call: CR and ginger this evening at the Lowetide abode.

Craft beer festival here in St. John’s last night followed by multiple Old Fashioneds resulting in near crippling hangover today.

Erego, no drinks for the game tonight. At least for the first period.

50. jake70 says:

My hometown boy Malone…woohoo. Atta boy…

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Boil-in-the-Oil:
    Kelly assists … should we be worried this guy gets a job here?

As much as we are worried Brad Malone gets a job – at least in my mind.

Kelly has looked better against an AHL team last night and a slightly better team tonight.

52. jzed says:

JarJar and Kassian are lethal

53. Munny says:

God I love Kassian.

54. The Original JDî says:

OriginalPouzar: Water

Well I’m drinking 95% water.

55. jzed says:

Poolparty helping to win pucks and going to the net, good formula

56. thrice says:

For those of you that have issues with regional blackouts, Reddit has a subreddit called “nhlstreams” all games are on said subreddit.

57. Johnny Larue says:

On my phone can’t get Oilers site to work anyone have a link that works

58. Munny says:

I feel like there should be a tequila named Gold Hat. I’d partake of that cactus.

59. jzed says:

Man Jar jar is way faster this year, too fast

60. OriginalPouzar says:

Interesting that Khaira was to take that left side defensive zone faceoff over Lettstu.

I like it (although he was thrown out of the circle).

61. OriginalPouzar says:

jzed:
    Man Jar jar is way faster this year, too fast

That and much better with the puck – puck protection, making the little plays, etc.

62. Munny says:

Bob has always loved Ilie Nastase.

63. The Original JDî says:

Buff interferes with a forechecker. Hockey play.

64. OriginalPouzar says:

Solid hit by Jones there – too bad Jesse was holding the Jet.

65. Munny says:

Lupon jarred and jarred again.

Khaira hit the glass with his fist, I think.

67. jzed says:

What the hell was the penalty for? Puck was there, big guy hits little guy?

68. jake70 says:

Khaira hit the glass with his fist, I think.

yeah …thought i saw that too…..uggh…

69. OriginalPouzar says:

Not sure what the Khaira penalty was for but the refs evened it up 6 seconds later on a holding call.

70. Todd Macallan says:

jake70: yeah …thought i saw that too…..uggh…

Scared me, flashes of Connor fighting in junior and breaking his hand on the boards

71. OriginalPouzar says:

Great stick by Letestu on the cross-ice pass – Yammy-like.

72. jzed says:

Nurse was going to shoot it through the goalie

73. OriginalPouzar says:

Tough sequence there for Nurse – bad offence and then lost the zone.

74. Todd Macallan says:

Hahaha, damnit Nurse. Goalie would’ve died if he stopped that.

75. Munny says:

Nurse going full high event at four bys

76. Munny says:

Hemsky slashed, as per uze.

77. jzed says:

The league will stop calling this stuff the week before the playoffs start and the league panics at the thought of a Canadian team winning the cup

78. Ford Prefect says:

Johnny Larue,

game is streamed on facebook.

79. Munny says:

Back to Bogie and his damn conscience…

80. Receptor Antagonist says:

Does anyone have any good links for us poor souls in the U.S. that wish to watch tonights game?

81. The Original JDî says:

Ford Prefect:
    Johnny Larue,

game is streamed on facebook.

Also free on shaw ppv 353.

82. dessert1111 says:

Benning looking like he has 1st pairing potential. So much range to his game. It looks like he’s been learning how to take the body and keep his man to the outside from Larsson – those hip checks going low on his man are devastating and come out of nowhere. Super effective. Looking comfortable quarterbacking the PP too.

They’re not doing terrible but the game looking a little fast for Simpson and Jones.

And I’m drinking bicycle craft velocipede IPA.

2-1 EDM after one, Corsi for 5×5 14-5 EDM.

84. jzed says:

Better than Connor, better than Sid? Really?

85. thepeetso says:

Receptor Antagonist:

86. OriginalPouzar says:

dessert1111:

And I’m drinking bicycle craft velocipede IPA.

87. Lloyd B. says:

The Original JDî: Also free on shaw ppv 353.

88. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

The Original JDî: Also free on shaw ppv 353.

Holy crap, there it is. Is it a mistake, this is a TSN broadcast, supposed to be unavailable?

Appreciative though!

89. dessert1111 says:

OriginalPouzar: Interesting – I though Benning was up and down that period and that Jones was quite good (vis-a-vis expectations).

I agree Jones looks very good for just entering pro hockey. Just think he is showing he’s not quite ready for regular NHL duty. Of course we already kinda knew that. I bet he gets a call up this year.

90. kgo says:

We should invent a lowetide blog drinking game, convoluted, complicated…

91. OriginalPouzar says:

I really hope that Jones does not get a call-up this year – it means we are well in to our AHL depth and that’s not a great thing.

92. Munny says:

Nice to see Strome continuing to confirm he has a one-timer.

93. OriginalPouzar says:

Drai drives the Oilers PP, not McDavid.

94. The Original JDî says:

Boil-in-the-Oil,

Free preview of some kind of NHL package during the preseason.

95. jzed says:

Connor with a non Hero like shot

96. Munny says:

Strome can keep on his feet at the crease’s doorstep a lot better than Ebs did.

97. OriginalPouzar says:

Malone has slow boots.

98. kgo says:

Kelly looking good again, coming back very low and covering the crease

99. OriginalPouzar says:

Kyle Connor is a player – all night he’s been the most noticeable.

100. Crazy Pedestrian says:

I missed the first period. I read khaira get injured?
    Edit: nm… heard stauffer say he in penalty box

101. kgo says:

dessert1111,

Agree, Jones looks awesome…Benning looking average, still lacks explosive stride imo

102. OriginalPouzar says:

Maksimov with a goal and an assist with 6 shots on net in a 4-1 win.

103. Munny says:

Almost russelled a goal…

This is what happens when you watch Westerns.

104. kgo says:

Crazy Pedestrian,

Ya they got 10 min

105. russ99 says:

Jones did as well as can be expected with Byfuglien all over him.

Welcome to the he bigs, kid.

106. kgo says:

My first viewing of Patrick Russel, reminds me of Dvorak

107. Munny says:

Jones’s brain has been as impressive as his feet. Needed to be said.

108. Receptor Antagonist says:

thepeetso:
    for those of us stuck working the night shift

I had already tried that, couldn’t get it to work. as with any other links.

I did however find this and although delayed about 2 mins is working great so far.

109. Munny says:

Lovely.

/sarc

110. russ99 says:

kgo:
    My first viewing of Patrick Russel, reminds me of Dvorak

That’s my brother’s name, lol.

Russell – two l’s

Decent grinder, seems to have found more game that last year in Bakersfield.

Don’t interfere with your own goalie, Jones.

111. Professor Q says:

How was Lipon able to enter the Oilers’ zone straight from the bench without an offside?

112. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Huh… that was an unfortunate bounce…

113. russ99 says:

Ugh, lots of overcommitting on D there, Todd has to work on that.

114. jzed says:

I detect vets getting outworked

115. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Dammit…

116. Crazy Pedestrian says:

I kinda almost want the jets to score on this pp. maybe it will light a fire under the Oilers butts… they are getting out worked
    Edit: or better yet, score a shorty!

117. russ99 says:

Not a bad penalty by McDavid. Did a good job tying up the stick. Keep it low next time.

118. jzed says:

Lemieux has dad like floppiness

119. jzed says:

Oil need to score dammit

120. Munny says:

I don’t like the idea of not having a pre-season game against a very good team.

Some nice work on that power play but no dice.

122. russ99 says:

Dirty takeout of McDavid by Byfuglien. Glad that Maroon responded.

2-2 after two, Corsi for 7-11 for a two period total of 21-16 Edmonton.

124. delooper says:

I caught the last 30 seconds of the 2nd period. Game looks pretty even to me. Carry on.

125. jzed says:

Edmonton needs to win going away, vets likely getting a bit of an earful

126. The Original JDî says:

That Byf guy is an arse.

127. Crazy Pedestrian says:

I’m my mind, Jesse Puljujarvi has one more period to show that he belongs on the team. He had been fairly invisible this preseason. Please jp… please… do… something…

128. Crazy Pedestrian says:

The Original JDî:
    That Byf guy is an arse.

Yup… would love to see nurse or Lucic throw down with him… (with the Oiler player completely dominating him of course)

Crazy Pedestrian:

JP has had a quiet night.

130. jzed says:

Now that I see replay , Jar Jar got jobbed

131. kgo says:

Gryba has looked poor, he’s lucky he’s RH

McDavid scores.

133. OriginalPouzar says:

So McDavid decided to try for a shift there. Nice stuff.

134. flyfish1168 says:

2 nice plays = beauty goal

135. jzed says:

What a touch pass, like wow

136. The Original JDî says:

Looked like a set play.

Niiiiiice…

137. russ99 says:

Go back to the pool. Poolman.

138. jzed says:

Poolparty redemption

139. Crazy Pedestrian says:

YES! JP nice tip pass! Now do that again boys!

140. Oil2Oilers says:

That was like a touch up to a striker in football

141. OriginalPouzar says:

Anyone else super excited that JP gets put with McDavid to start the third and he makes a great touch pass to spring MCDvid for a goal?

142. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

Lowetide: JP has had a quiet night.

143. Abbeef says:

OriginalPouzar,

The touch pass was nice, but that was followed by hands of stone on the next shift. Unable to control 2 passes that would have setup decent offensive opportunities.

Boil-in-the-Oil: I’m concerned. He’s been beyond quiet, almost invisible. He may well be signing his ticket to California. He’s still very young, no need to panic.

145. The Original JDî says:

Nurse has been on Lemieux spits all night.

146. OriginalPouzar says:

Crazy Pedestrian:

I think he just did that.

He didn’t have a chance for the first two periods given all the penalties.

147. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Umm… what? You can challenge a ref call?

148. Professor Q says:

I thought you couldn’t use Coach’s Challenge in PreSeason?

They used that as the reason for the Jokinen goal not being challenged.

149. jzed says:

Wow, not used to that at all😉

150. OriginalPouzar says:

Goal JP!!!

And maybe the goal helps, too.

152. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar: I think he just did that.

He didn’t have a chance for the first two periods given all the penalties.

And he just scored.

153. russ99 says:

Puljujarvi!!

154. OriginalPouzar says:

Nice roof job – maybe someone has some confidence now?

155. Abbeef says:

Jesse pots one! Maybe this will get the confidence going.

156. jzed says:

Well if you’re going to give them to him, still, good to see his smile

157. Crazy Pedestrian says:

HELL YEAH!!! He must have heard me screaming for him to do something!!!
    He’s definately doing something!!!

158. jzed says:

Few slashes going uncalled already

159. Oil2Oilers says:

A very wise man once said “all youth sometimes need a lucky break” or something like that

160. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

Lowetide: He needed a spark and maybe that goal was it. You never know with kids. He certainly looked excited.

Certainly “shuts my mouth” … for the moment at least. Connor finishes when he gets open. Hope you’re right and the kid starts to develop some confidence. It’s all about confidence.

161. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

Yay! So very happy for the young man. Maybe the confidence is rising after all. Nice.

162. jzed says:

Nice for the non vets

163. kgo says:

23 man roster might have to be 15/7/1…talbot to play all 82

164. jzed says:

Connor and Patty working it out

165. Zelepukin says:

I’m really liking Simpson and Jone’s game. I’d have them both above Gryba at this point. Both can separate the man from the puck but have the big upside on Gryba in foot speed and passing.

166. Rondo says:

Jesse P gets motivated when he plays with McDavid.

167. Crazy Pedestrian says:

That russel guy (the forward) is pretty good… dang our depth players are better than I thought they were…

JP might have another one!

169. OriginalPouzar says:

JP scores again.

170. jzed says:

Watch them feed him the rest of the game

171. Munny says:

Well that needed to happen.

172. Crazy Pedestrian says:

JEEBUS HOLY MAMA!!! JP Staying with McDavid me thinks..
    Now What of Strome?

173. SVR says:

Have JP and Strome switched lines?

174. Zelepukin says:

Crazy Pedestrian:

Ya Russell and Malone are solid. Our bottom 6 depth is insane.

175. The Original JDî says:

Crazy Pedestrian,

Yep. Nice speed.

176. Nuclear leak says:

Pool party with the backcheck and the goal, Nuge just lost his young Finn lol

177. OriginalPouzar says:

SVR:
    Have JP and Strome switched lines?

Yes, to start the third.

178. Abbeef says:

Bakersfield should be a lot better this year. Malone is looking good, Russell looks better and Laleggia first full year as a forward. The defence are going to be better with Lowe, Stanton and the rookies will get better and better as the year goes. Nice to see the depth is a lot better than I would have guessed before the season.

179. Oil2Oilers says:

It is hard adjusting to the idea the Oiler are now a good team in the NHL. But drinking for joy not sorrow helps.

180. OriginalPouzar says:

That was a good third period.

Thank goodness Jesse, thank goodness.

Kailer, its your turn…..

181. OriginalPouzar says:

Did Malone earn himself another game and freedom from the cuts tomorrow?

182. unca miltie says:

Crazy Pedestrian:

What do you think?

183. russ99 says:

Jesse learned a good lesson today, go to the net and good
    things happen.

Hope his is the break he needs. Really don’t want to see what happens if he has to go back to Bakersfield.

184. Lucinius says:

Well, I hope this pre-season success continues into the regular season. So far the team is looking good. Some definite issues, but.. it feels so much better going into a season after a good year than a shitty one.

185. Pescador says:

Oil2Oilers:
    drinking for joy not sorrow helps.

Helps with my Alcoholism

186. Crazy Pedestrian says:

unca miltie: What do you think?

He do good… he do REAL good…

187. OriginalPouzar says:

Kind of an odd game – the boys were kind of half assing it for most of the night. I think they go a talking to in the second intermission.

Puljijarvi – Quiet through the fist couple periods but, with all the penalties, didn’t really get a chance. Put with McDavid to start the third and he sets him up with a beauty touch pass for a goal and then roofs a PP goal minutes later and follows up with a second PP goal – great stuff. Some nice shifts in the third on the top line.

Malone – He was pretty good tonight – outplayed Russell for sure and scored a few goals. May have earned himself another game and passed Rattie as the first cal-up option.

Jones – Great game tonight. A great skater and very calm with puck and he makes good decision. Really like his game. Don’t know if he’ll play in the NHL this year but he has a define NHL career ahead of him. Phenomenal draft pick.

Russell – Kris is a much better player on the left side – better moving the puck and better in the offensive zone – I liked his game tonight.

The rest of the veterans were kind of going through the motions – little disappointed in Strome as he should be looking to prove himself.

Nurse struggled in the fist part of the game but I thought he was much better in the third period. He is not good on the PP.

Kelly start off not bad but disappeared

Talbot was Talbot.

188. SVR says:

OriginalPouzar,

OriginalPouzar: Yes, to start the third.

How did Strome and RNH look? Didnt hit the scoresheet at all

189. dessert1111 says:

Right now I have the defense call up list as Stanton, Lowe, Simpson then Jones. I think they’ll go down to 9 D tomorrow, keeping Stanton and Lowe for now.

Malone had some moments of chasing and penalties that suggest he was struggling, but it’s hard to cut someone who scored twice. He’s not fast but he looks faster than Lander was.

I think Strome is losing his grip on first line. We might see “Hammers” there next time.

For cuts, I’d guess Mantha, Fayne, Jones, Simpson, Russell, Laleggia, Rattie, Callahan.

190. OriginalPouzar says:

SVR:
    OriginalPouzar,

How did Strome and RNH look? Didnt hit the scoresheet at all

The Nuge/Jokinen line was kind of just going through the motions for much of the game which is fine.

191. dessert1111 says:

Sleeper pick to spend some time on Connor’s wing this year: Khaira. Plays a similar game to Maroon and more defensive upside. Maybe if there’s an injury or heck they try a line of lefties.

192. OriginalPouzar says:

dessert1111:

I agree with most of this – may switch Simpson and Lowe and Fayne needs to go in there somewhere even though he was awful yesterday.

Rattie may survive to get one more game.

193. who says:

First game I’ve seen this year. Look like they have plenty of firepower up front but not sure about the defense. I like Gryba but I like him a lot more as a 7D.

194. OriginalPouzar says:

Gryba is the 7D – we just have an injury.

195. who says:

Been reading all the negative press on this blog about JP. He wasn’t as good as his boxcars tonight but the talent is undeniable. He will get more comfortable with regular playing time. That combination of size and speed is special. Plus he seems more than willing to shoot the puck. Sweet touch pass to Macdavid.
    The posters suggesting we trade him because his value will never be higher need to give their head a shake.

196. who says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Gryba is the 7D – we just have an injury.

Yeah I know but I’m not sure they have the horses to pick up the slack until Sekera is back. They have a lot of depth but they are all the 7D type. The best talents down the depth chart are just starting their pro careers.

Newer Comments »