FAYNE EXCITEMENT

The Edmonton Oilers made several roster moves this afternoon, sending goalie Nick Ellis, defender Dillon Simpson and forwards Patrick Russell and Ty Rattie to Bakersfield. Simpson and Rattie have to await clearing waivers but should be able to play by the time exhibition games begin later this week.

THE DISTANT BELLS NO LONGER RING

• No distant bells will make the opening night lineup, Anton Slepyshev remains the last man to do it.
  • Sekera, Benson and Ferlin are extremely likely to start the season on NHL IR based on handling during TC.
  • This is the last time this preseason we’ll see the distant bells for this training camp. They’ll return next summer!

THE UNCERTAIN OILERS

• At least three of these names will make the opening night roster, barring a trade.Todd McLellan said today they wanted to have another look at Ryan Stanton, but injuries are getting in the way. Could mean Stanton also begins the season on the reserve list.
  • If we assume IR will house Andrej Sekera, Tyler Benson, Brian Ferlin, Ryan Stanton and Anton Slepyshev, then we may see more of these names make the grade.
  • In a case like that, I would guess Jujhar Khaira, Iiro Pakarinen, Kailer Yamamoto and Yohann Auvitu make the opening night list from the uncertain group.
  • Mark Fayne still in the picture is interesting. I don’t want to write anything positive, might jinx it. He made it inside the top 9D and may be an earlier than expected recall.

THE CERTAIN OILERS

• The only questions now are Anton Slepyshev and the final three or four names. We’re basically through the decision-making process.

WHAT ABOUT YAMAMOTO

He hasn’t made the team yet, but it is probably close. His performance last night stood out for effort and effective play. It’s not official until it’s official, but the young man ran it up as far as he possibly could and now we wait.

WHAT ABOUT PULJUJARVI

I think he makes the team. Anton Slepyshev’s injury likely means all of the kids applying for RW work make the team. The next pressure point would be the 9-game mark for Yamamoto. As of this minute, not sure how that will go.

49 Responses to "FAYNE EXCITEMENT"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

You’ve got Pakarinan listed as an IR candidate – forshadowing?

Surprised Fayne is still here – he was god-awful two games ago but I saw him not too bad over the last half of the game last night.

I guess Slepy isn’t going to be ready to start the season? If he is on IR, maybe that does mean both Puljijarvi and Yamamoto are on the team to start the year.

2. Professor Q says:

Looking at Pronman’s preseason 2018 draft preview, it’d be neat to draft Veleno or Tkatchuk (for the Safin chemistry and to tick off Calgary fans, respectively).

3. stush18 says:

I think I would prefer fayne over auvitu right now. He’s a better defender, and I don’t think this defence needs to be running around, nor do i think this team needs to see a defence trading chance for chance and stop playing defensive hockey.

That said, LTs right, I prolly jinxed it.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Should have a fairly decent lineup for tomorrow night.

My guess is the top pair gets the night off and we see Auvitu and Fayne.

McDavid and Maroon may get the night off unless they are more concerned about seeing JP, Yamamoto or Strome with them for more evidence?

Yamo was with them at practice today and he is going to Saskatoon.

So, maybe its the 2nd line that gets the night off – but they were so bloddy terrible last night, then again, most of the forwards were.

5. stush18 says:

Professor Q:
    Looking at Pronman’s prrseason 2018 draft preview, it’d be neat to draft Veleno or Tkatchuk (dor the Safin chemistry and to tick of Calgary fans, respectively).

I think the oilers need to look at drafting a “two-way” centre with their next pick. And I mean two way as in actually offensive enough to cover the two way part.

2 of nuge/letestu/strome are likely gone within the next year. We need to start restocking up the middle.

6. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar,

I thought it was surprising they gave pakarinen and kassian a night off. They’re essentially applying for the same job, although kassian isn’t applying, he has it.

Pak is versatile though, he can slip around the lineup

7. Mustard Tiger says:

Do Benson and Ferlin get an NHL paycheque while on IR? Meaning it’s in their advantage to stay there?

Mustard Tiger:

Great question and I don’t know the answer.

9. Professor Q says:

If they do then they’d count on the roster and their contracts don’t slide, non?

I mean, they do get their full salary, but as they weren’t assigned to official NHL games they don’t get paid their NHL-level professional amount, only the lower “2nd-way” amount?

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Ferlin’s contract is not an ELC, its his second contract, so it doesn’t slide – it counts towards the 50.

I wonder if Benson’s contract counts towards the 50 until he is healthy and re-assigned? If so, if Yamamoto is on the team, that take us to 50 until his slides when/if he is re-assigned.

I’ve got to think that there is a clause in the CBA allowing for Benson’s contract not to count but I’m not expressly aware of any.

11. New Improved Darkness says:

Solomon says we should ship Kailer’s body down, and keep Kailer’s brain up.

Any objections?

Either way we play this, either his small half or his largegiant half goes underserved.

Or we can buck Solomon and keep Kailer here, in one piece, making adjustments, until he runs out of adjustments.

Kailer: I’m here to strip pucks and make adjustments (and I better not run out of adjustments, because I’m knee-high to a mayfly heading into October).

Check out Eduardo Briceño on how to get better at the things you care about.

So I’d like to share with you some insights into why that is and what we can all do about it. What I’ve learned is that the most effective people and teams in any domain do something we can all emulate. They go through life deliberately alternating between two zones: the learning zone and the performance zone.

KY is in the performance zone here (with a very short string dangling from “what if”) and he’ll be in the learning zone there (there are seven ways to undress this failed tweener, what haven’t I tried lately?)

And still this debate devolves into management by cookie cutter year after year. Which is not much better than management by clever Sol’s cleaver.

12. jfry says:

the oilers kept up taylor fedun when he was hurt in pre season explicitly so he could get nhl money i thought. if you’re up and on ir. you’re on an nhl pay cheque i believe.

13. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2017-18 season! Looking bigger and better than ever!

Here’s how you play: Pick the exact number of points you think the Oilers will have at the end of the season.

Then, after the usual training camp hypejobs stop and the real NHL starts, Oilers usually lose 2-3 defencemen and spent the rest of the season chasing/debating the lottery. What better way to enjoy those pointless, meaningless games than The Hunter1909 Official Oilers Death March(TM)?

Last year had well over 300 players. Prizes being sorted as this message gets posted for last season’s winners who will be notified at a later date.

Contest Entry: Open until puck drop on opening night. Think of a giant guillotine blade – once the first puck drops it’s all over.

14. Yeti says:

LT, you’re so Fayne, you probably think this post is about you.

15. stush18 says:

New Improved Darkness:
    Solomon says we should ship Kailer’s body down, and keep Kailer’s brain up.

Any objections?

Check out Eduardo Briceño on how to get better at the things you care about.

And still this debate devolves into management by cookie cutter year after year.Which is not much better than management by clever Sol’s cleaver.

I honestly never have a clue what you’re saying, but I really enjoy reading your posts. Haha

16. Bob Arctor says:

Hunter: 94 points for me.

17. prairieschooner says:

I think KY would be jelly if the Oilers keep him up
    How much weight would he lose over a full season ?
    How much muscle mass would he lose ?

18. Bumblebpete says:

Yeti,

Yeti, that’s priceless, good job.

19. GMB3 says:

prairieschooner:
    I think KY would be jelly if the Oilers keep him up
    How much weight would he lose over a full season ?
    How much muscle mass would he lose ?

Do you ask this question about every Oiler?

20. Duane Hewitt says:

Hunter,
    104 points for me. Thanks.

21. LMHF#1 says:

That bottom 4 could really sink some fine efforts early in the year.

Would like to see a winger and a pick for defence at this point.

If they could include shipping out Gryba as part of that, gravy.

22. leadfarmer says:

Lowetide: Great question and I don’t know the answer.

Depends what you mean by NHL paycheck? By that I mean they get a check written out by the NHL, but it is nowhere near what NHLers get unless you were an NHLer. All of this exciting stuff is written in the CBA including the length of training camp for veterans vs non veterans. Benson will get the maximum CHL salary, big money!!!!. Ferlin gets his minor league contract since he didnt play in the NHL last year. But lets just say he played a quarter of the year in the NHL last year on a two way contract he would get 1/4 of the NHL salary and 3/4 AHL salary. So while it would be nice for these guys to get a little extra money as their hopes for making the NHL teams are dashed without them being able to be on the ice, the league isn’t that generous.

23. Mustard Tiger says:

leadfarmer,

Figured it was something like this. Thanks

24. Zelepukin says:

prairieschooner:
    I think KY would be jelly if the Oilers keep him up
    How much weight would he lose over a full season ?
    How much muscle mass would he lose ?

25. GMB3 says:

Zelepukin: lol, why would he be losing anything and even if he did, why would it be more than playing 65 games in the dub with first line minutes? Unless you think nutrition takes a back seat as a professional athlete?

Bus trips, pizza and subway go hand in hand in jr hockey.

26. digger50 says:

LMHF#1:
    That bottom 4 could really sink some fine efforts early in the year.

Would like to see a winger and a pick for defence at this point.

If they could include shipping out Gryba as part of that, gravy.

27. Lloyd B. says:

digger50: If Peter went out and got Hamonic instead of Strome the problem would be solved.

Was that an option? If so, what was the cost?

Obviously, it was more than Eberle.

What would you as of the GM of the Oilers be prepared to pay for Hamonic?

Clearly the ask was too much for Chiarelli.

28. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Lloyd B.: Was that an option?If so, what was the cost?

Obviously, it was more than Eberle.

What would you as of the GM of the Oilers be prepared to pay for Harmonic? Clearly the ask was too much for Chiarelli.

– Harmonic netted Calgary’s 1st and 2nd and next year’s 2nd

– A dear price to pay IMO, more than Griff (ouch!)

– Harmonic >>> Strome, so it would have been Ebs and a lot more to get him.

Strome < Ebs < 1st + 2 2nds < Harmonic

29. Lloyd B. says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Right. That is why I asked what digger was prepared to pay. Its easy to sit in Moms basement and say ‘ just trade Eberle for Hamonic”

Clearly that wasn’t an option… so I asked digger just how much he was prepared to pay for Hamonic.

Calgary established the price.

So Digger…were you prepared to pay what Calgary did or do you have a better trade that works for both sides?

leadfarmer: Depends what you mean by NHL paycheck?By that I mean they get a check written out by the NHL, but it is nowhere near what NHLers get unless you were an NHLer.All of this exciting stuff is written in the CBA including the length of training camp for veterans vs non veterans.Benson will get the maximum CHL salary, big money!!!!.Ferlin gets his minor league contract since he didnt play in the NHL last year.But lets just say he played a quarter of the year in the NHL last year on a two way contract he would get 1/4 of the NHL salary and 3/4 AHL salary.So while it would be nice for these guys to get a little extra money as their hopes for making the NHL teams are dashed without them being able to be on the ice, the league isn’t that generous.

Thanks, this is great info!

31. stush18 says:

Lloyd B.,

Trade reinhart and ebs before the expansion draft! Lol

32. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

So Benson’s contract should slide automatically even if he’s on the IR. And Yamamoto doesn’t count to the 50 man until after his 10th game (should that happen).

Sorry, I don’t remember who posted the info, nor do I have a link. Pretty sure it’s correct though.

33. The Prototype JDî says:

Uncle Larry! Priceless!

34. Georges says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Harmonic netted Calgary’s 1st and 2nd and next year’s 2nd

– A dear price to pay IMO, more than Griff (ouch!)

– Harmonic >>> Strome, so it would have been Ebs and a lot more to get him.

Strome < Ebs < 1st + 2 2nds < Harmonic

I don’t get your math.

Hamonic is worth 3 magic Calgary beans according to Treliving. (He also likes Gazdic and Glass to fix his forward problem this year, so maybe his valuations are a little emotional…)

Strome is a 5th overall pick. He’s a 0.48 P/GP player.

NYI gets Calgary’s 1st and 2nd round picks next season and their 2nd round pick in 19 or 20.

Is Calgary, with awesome Hamonic, going to finish in the bottom 3rd of the league next season?

Eberle is a 22nd overall pick. I’m guessing that’s closer to where NYI will pick, bottom half. What are the odds of NYI picking the productivity and games to be played outlook of a 27-year old Jordan Eberle or a 24-year-old Strome with their first round bottom half magic bean? Or their two second round bottom half magic beans? It’s more of a lottery the further you go, right?

(Don’t get me wrong. I’m all for Calgary failing and improving NYI’s chances. Treliving’s quirky summer moves should be punished.)

And you have Hamonic as the best of all those options. What’s so great about Hamonic? No concern about his recent results?

PC pays the price for the players he wants. And once he’s decided he doesn’t want a player, he’s not too picky on the price he’s offered. We don’t have Hamonic because PC didn’t want Hamonic. We don’t have Eberle because PC didn’t want Eberle.

35. GMB3 says:

Georges: I don’t get your math.

Strome is a 5th overall pick. He’s a 0.48 P/GP player.

36. PunjabiOil says:

Arthur Staples (connected beat writer for the islander) indicated the Oilers offered Hall for Hamonic, and Snow said no.

It’s plausible given Larsson was the return.

I believe their number one target was Shattenkirk.

37. Georges says:

GMB3: I find that hard to believe that at one point Chia didn’t attempt to trade Eberle for Hamonic. I think this POV puts it out that Chia didn’t want Hall, and I’m sure he would have loved to keep him but needed a top 4 RHD. Maybe he believed Larsson has a higher ceiling than Hamonic, but I’m sure Ebs for Hamonic would have been preferable to Hall for Larsson.

I think Hall would fall into the price you pay category. Larsson was the player PC wanted, not Hamonic. Hall was the price.

Ebs wouldn’t have got PC Hamonic last year because Hamonic had higher value then. I think that value has eroded and Calgary paid more than they needed to.

Ebs is a $6M contract. Strome is $2.5. Hamonic is $3.9M. The Ebs-Strome deal happened first. NYI doesn’t seem to have a lot of cap space. I don’t know if they were looking to trade Hamonic for a player once they added Eberle’s extra $3.5M. I think they could only target picks.

38. Georges says:

PunjabiOil:

It’s plausible given Larsson was the return.

I believe their number one target was Shattenkirk.

PC offered Hall for Hamonic? And Snow said no? Interesting. Hamonic had the most TOI in 2015-16. I guess that made him their 1RD. But Shattenkirk was the number one target?? How?

39. frjohnk says:

Georges: Larsson was the player PC wanted, not Hamonic

According to Arthur Staples, Chia offered Hall for Hamonic, but the Islanders said no as they did not want to trade Hamonic right after he rescinded his trade request. After this happened, Chia dealt with the Devils.

Hamonic and Larsson are both in the same pool of comparable Dmen. I think last June, Hamonic was the more famous player of the two, and add to the fact that Hamonic had earlier wanted to come to Western Canada, I wouldnt be surprised Chia was trying to get him

40. digger50 says:

Lloyd B.: Was that an option?If so, what was the cost?

Obviously, it was more than Eberle.

What would you as of the GM of the Oilers be prepared to pay for Hamonic?

Clearly the ask was too much for Chiarelli.

Well it is 2am and I’m late to the party with my reply.

Two different discussions here.

First, islanders wanted Eberle. They did not want Strome at all. Hamonic had an off year and he was also on the table.

Peter wanted Strome. A third of Ebs price and was hoping to get two thirds of Eberle production. Fair enough.
    My point is that Peter should have been targeting Hamonic and pursued this to completion. The team would be better off today.

Second discussion is value. Was Hamonic too expensive Peter could not afford him? Islanders were taking on Ebs and 6m, they would be motivated to dump 4m. They wanted to move him, they wanted to move Strome and they wanted to acquire Ebs. (Or Dushene, but Avs didn’t want Hamonic so just how high was his value?)

i do not know what the trade would cost. I do think Snow wanted rid of Strome and an Eberle/ Hamonic deal would leave him stuck with Strome and he’d be lucky to get a second rounder. Thus Snow dangled Strome and withheld Hamonic. He found his trade partner for Strome and then also cleaned up with Hamonic. I doubt the cost was too high for Peter, he simply preferred Strome.

Everybody is happy now, and the deal was not terrible. But with the benefit of hindsight the target should have been Hamonic and Eberle plus a second rounder should have got it done. What a potential difference this may become.

41. digger50 says:

PunjabiOil:

It’s plausible given Larsson was the return.

I believe their number one target was Shattenkirk.

Agree with you here. We don’t have Hamonic cause Peter did not want Hamonic.

And there is the mistake.

Before bring anything else into play such as value etc… the mistake was utilizing our biggest trade chip to secure the wrong target.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Interested to see that the lineup looks like tonight – which line sits and which of the right wingers plays with who.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: Someone on here posted about this in the last couple of months. The contract is a slide until the players 10th NHL game is played.

That is helpful and good information – thank you.

44. OriginalPouzar says:

digger50: Agree with you here. We don’t have Hamonic cause Peter did not want Hamonic.

And there is the mistake.

I thought that was our mistake last spring with the Hall trade.

A year later, while still up for discussion, its highly debatable at this point.

Time will tell – the return for Eberle hasn’t even played a regular season game as an Oiler yet. Perhaps he turns out to be a very solid addition and a clutch playoff performer – we just don’t know yet.

45. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Georges: Strome < Ebs < 1st + 2 2nds < Harmonic

– I said: Strome < Ebs < 1st + 2 2nds Ebs
    2) Ebs > Strome (with $3.5MM cap savings)

– I reason therefore that if Chia wanted to give Ebs, this years first, and 2 2nds, he could have had Strome and Harmonic.

– That would be too much IMO

– The time to give away magic beans for the Oil is to put them over the top. I don’t think Harmonic is in that category….

46. russ99 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – I said: Strome < Ebs < 1st + 2 2ndsEbs
    2) Ebs > Strome (with $3.5MM cap savings)

– That would be too much IMO

– The time to give away magic beans for the Oil is to put them over the top.I don’t think Harmonic is in that category….

Also shows how low the perceived value of Hall and Eberle was around the league. Fans may assume we’re supposed to get a huge haul for certain players, but opposing GMs decide those things.

47. Silver Streak says:

Hey Al, I was going to comment the other day when after hearing you speak of N Battleford being just a hop skip and jump from Melville …………and this from you a fellow former Saskatchewan boy…..I got too damn busy which is becoming way too common for a Grandfather….Melville is almost in Manitoba…and way down south central….whereas N Battleford sits nice and pretty on the N sask a stones throw east of Gods country…..now if we can only get you to forget the Hall trade you will be perfect.

48. Jethro Tull says:

What short memories we have.

1) Hamonic put in a trade request due to family reasons. Would prefer western Canada.

2) Snow said he would not rush a trade and that any potential trade would have to include a d man of similar ability.

3) Snow continued to drag his feet, probably because Hamonic was having a good year that year.

4) Snow still dragging his feet last year, but Hamonic is his #1 guy despite having a down year.

Facts: Eberle is not a d man of similar ability to Hamonic – in fact a whole meme was mad on here about ‘compelting’ other GMs to accept our shitty trade proposals.

Snow had no intention of trading Hamonic if at all possible.

PC can justify Strome’s shitty play at $2.5M than he can Eberle’s decline at $6M. Also, he had to pay these two young prospect that may make the NHL, McDraivid and Davesaitl or some shit. Salary dump can hardly have been more obvious if it painted itself florescent yellow and ran around naked shouting “SALARY DUMP’.

So, there we have it, Snow couldn’t get a Hammy for a Hammy, so he took high draft picks. PC couldn’t afford those picks and the warm bodies he had weren’t wanted by Snow.

49. Pink Socks says:

russ99: Especially since the system is still weak when it comes to forwards, especially skill forwards (up from barren after this year’s draft) and we’ll need those picks to bubble up when we’re at the cap the next 8 years.

Well said. PC can’t do anything about the perception of his assets around the league, and he badly needs those 3 picks (assumed for Hamonic) to continue restocking of the system.

It is fun to see that Treliving has only 2 picks in the first 3 rounds in the next 2 drafts. A 2018 3rd and a 2019 1st. Nothing else.