PS G7 2017-18 OILERS V. HURRICANES

It’s a big night in Saskatoon for the bubble players and it’s a surprising night because so many men find themselves in a bubble position. Kailer Yamamoto is there because he exceeded expectations, my sense is that Jesse Puljujarvi and Yohann Auvitu are there because the performances over the last 10 days have been shy. For Brad Malone and Chris Kelly, it was always going to be two weeks in the bubble and the fact both men are here represents victory.

INJURIES

• Anton Slepyshev is skating but not ready to play.
  • Ryan Stanton has a foot fracture.
  • Source: Reid Wilkins.

In a way, the Slepyshev injury is timely. It allows the Oilers to keep Jesse Puljujarvi on the roster (if that’s the priority) or keep a veteran center like Chris Kelly (the penalty kill doesn’t look like any screaming hell).

TONIGHT’S ROSTER

• Surprised Connor McDavid is playing but I think the organization wanted to give Yamamoto a full shot on his line. A strong performance by the rookie tonight means he’s on the roster in my opinion, he may already be there.
  • Jesse Puljujarvi is still in the race, although if you read the tea leaves (below) feels like it’s over.
  • Ryan Strome is in the middle on the third line, interesting option. Although there was talk of putting Nuge on RW with 97 before camp, we haven’t seen it. Perhaps that’s a bullet in the chamber.
  • Auvitu with Larsson is just about ideal situation for Johann, wonder if that’s an alignment we might see during the year.
  • Cam Talbot backs up this evening.

$80 MILLION CAP?

Elliotte Friedman has his 31 Thoughts out, some fantastic information as always. Interesting item on Patrick Maroon as well.

155 Responses to "PS G7 2017-18 OILERS V. HURRICANES"

1. geowal says:

Fans in Saskatoon sure lucking out with a quality lineup for a neutral site game. Good for them. Any folks going?

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Last chance for a couple of bubble players.

Can’t imagine Malone making it unless there is another injury – I think they’d keep 8D if the put Slep on IR and re-assign either Jesse or Kailer. At this point, I think its 7D and both those guys stay with Slep on IR.

To bad Stanton only got in 1 game – he looked good in that game.

Does Fayne have a real shot to make the roster? Can’t see them re-assigning Auvitu (through waivers) as I think Chiarelli signed him to play. Outside shot of 8D staying I guess.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Looking forward to seeing:

1) How Auvitu does in a more premier role

2) battle for top 6 RW spots

3) Strome as a center

4) LB with a solid game quieting the critics that I think are fooled by his less than calm style more than the saves he isn’t making.

Did #4 happen?

4. OriginalPouzar says:

An $80M cap would sure help our situation next year – doesn’t mean we should sign Maroon to a market value contract a year ahead of time – we need the first ever hometown discount from Patty.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

geowal:

OriginalPouzar: I think the unacceptable effort from many veterans against Carolina changed the plan a bit.

That’s an excellent point. I remember a game early in the season, was it Ottawa, or Buffalo, where the effort was so poor they moved the off day. I remember a lot of rumbling about that, but the team started winning afterward. Good point by you.

7. Ben Oost says:

That 80 million dollar cap would go a long way for us. Opens up the space to sign a maroon relatively painlessly, or even shore up the d if something arises. Could even allow us to keep Nuge long term for those of us doubting that possibility.

8. meanashell11 says:

9. kgo says:

JP vs Moto…. Think about this, JP has grown how much in the past 5 years? He’s a big clumsy puppy, still learning how his long strong limbs work. I’m not surprised he’s taking time to develop, but his upside is tremendous. Yamamoto has likely not grown much in the past 5 years and is very comfortable in his skin, his coordination is on point. I think both players should be sent away this year, the NHL is not a development league!

10. geowal says:

Definitely, TMac said as much today.
    So the fans get a double bonus: a vet squad showing up there, and a motivated group under some pressure from the coach to not have another stinker.
    Plus: McDavid rarely has back to back meh games

kgo:
    JP vs Moto…. Think about this, JP has grown how much in the past 5 years? He’s a big clumsy puppy, still learning how his long strong limbs work.I’m not surprised he’s taking time to develop, but his upside is tremendous.Yamamoto has likely not grown much in the past 5 years and is very comfortable in his skin, his coordination is on point.I think both players should be sent away this year, the NHL is not a development league!

I think both men are substantial players, no matter how this turns out. A massive part of the future.

12. Melvis says:

I was going to go – and passed thinking it was the samo… underwhelming lineup for over priced tickets. Not that I don’t hate that barn out in the sticks as well. Now I’m kicking myself.

Oth…I’ll just toss the shekels into the coffee for a couple of regular seson games in Eddy.

13. OriginalPouzar says:

meanashell11: I absolutely agree and would not be surprised if those vets actually asked for a chance at redemption.

McLellan essentially alluded today it earlier today.

I’m not sure on the 2nd point – it’s possible, however, I can’t remember who I was listening to earlier today but I think one of the MSM mentioned that the veterans just want preseason over with – they don’t want to go to Saskatoon to play another game, they just want to stay healthy and get ready for the season.

14. pts2pndr says:

I believe it would be a shame if JP is sent to the A after training camp. The Oilers now have a mentor in Jokinen that will make all the difference in his development! Last year Jesse was left to figure it out on his own which was in my opinion a monumental mistake. A life tutor with Finish/English skills would have helped his adaptation to North America much easier. It sometimes amazes me at how unaware people are of how difficult it can be for young people to adapt to a new culture without the requisit language skills! Think getting thrown into the deep end of the swimming pool as a non swimmer!

15. leadfarmer says:

Going back to last thread Should we ignore Stomes 9 plus shots/60 season as well?

Well given that number decreased consistently over each of the last 4 seasons I would say yeah. I would definitely ignore that number as a small sample size

16. OriginalPouzar says:

pts2pndr:
    I believe it would be a shame if JP is sent to the A after training camp. The Oilers now have a mentor in Jokinen that will make all the difference in his development!Last year Jesse was left to figure it out on his own which wasin my opinion a monumental mistake. A life tutor withFinish/English skills would have helped his adaptation to North America much easier. It sometimes amazes me at how unawarepeople are of how difficult it can be for young people to adapt to a new culture without the requisit language skills! Think getting thrown into the deep end of the swimming pool as a non swimmer!

With Slepy likely on IR to start the season, they have room to keep both Kailer and Puljijarvi and defer these tough decisions for a short period of time.

The mentor is a good point even though the Oilers have been adamant that that did not factor in to the signing of Jokinen.

17. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: That’s an excellent point. I remember a game early in the season, was it Ottawa, or Buffalo, where the effort was so poor they moved the off day. Iremember a lot of rumbling about that, but the team started winning afterward. Good point by you.

Not sure it was lack of effort per se. Whilst i believe the score in preseason games to be meaningless, i believe Todd is a coach that gives assignments. I think he looks for how each assignment is carried out and goes from there. Kind of “take care of the pennies” approach. There is a philosophy that teaches that the overall result doesn’t matter, it’s the processes, because if you do the processes correctly, then the result is usually a good one.

So, i think too many guys missed training objectives Monday. Hence the line up. And of course it doesn’t hurt to showcase the league’s best player in another untapped market.

18. T0ML says:

FYI For anyone wanting a rock solid stream – http://nhlclubstream-i.akamaihd.net/hls/live/236907/nhlclub/edm/master.m3u8

Thats the oilers stream un region protected (Requires something able to run an HLS stream, so Edge or Safari, or VLC)….. Its the same URL that it pulls up via the oilers site once you pass verification of region.

19. Numenius says:

geowal:

20. Numenius says:

It’s not all that neutral here, of course. Amazing how many Oilers jerseys are in the stands.

Numenius: Yeah, I’m at the game now. Really stoked about the quality lineup that no doubt will be looking for redemption.

Send reports!

22. Armchair GM says:

A few years ago I promised myself I’d never go to another preseason game in Saskatoon. I didn’t like paying NHL prices to watch AHL players. Connor McDavid changes EVERYTHING. Walked up and bought my $112 ticket with joy. Nice to see the Sasky players in the starting lineup

23. Oilanderp says:

GIDDY UP!

24. Oilanderp says:

KassiYEAHHHHHH

25. OriginalPouzar says:

What a goal by Kassian.

Kassian scores. Strome hurt.

27. Munny says:

Mama Kass fiddling while Strome burning.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

Strome blocked a shot and needed to be helped to the dressing room – Bob said it does not look good.

29. russ99 says:

Hope Strome isn’t out for too long. Sounds bad.

30. russ99 says:

Alright, Strome is back.

Kass is on fire tonight,

31. OriginalPouzar says:

Kassian having a good first 4 minutes.

32. Oilanderp says:

Strome heals way faster than EBERLE

33. Munny says:

Kass might be an actual unicorn.

34. Gret99zky says:

Kassian’s goals will not only be disallowed this season, they will count for the other team.

35. VOR says:

PTS2PNDR,

How I learned to speak French. At the end of Grade 10 I traveled by myself (had never been on a plane before) to Ottawa and from their to near Papineauville. The idea was that with French immersion my inability to speak French – despite taking it in school from Grade 4 onward – would magically disappear. Great idea send immature socially awkward teenager who still was struggling with speaking English properly to a small town in the middle of a part of Quebec where I can assure English is not to be heard. It has some claim to being the birthplace of the FLQ.

It was hell. The people I was staying with were retired, their kids grown and gone, which just made it so much worse. They didn’t speak a word of English. Just getting through a meal was agony.

But you know how there are moments that in retrospect you know changed your life forever. Well a few weeks into that hell I had one of those moments. The program arranged for all the immersion kids to go together to the old Dominion Observatory in Ottawa. My host family, Jean and Arianna, they insisted on taking me themselves (they figured I’d cheat and speak English on the bus).

Anyway this meant going and spending the day in Ottawa (touring Parliament Hill as it happens). Jean insisted on referring to it as le ventre du cochon. Which literally means the belly of a pig but in this usage sort of meant the center of corruption and sin. Then we went to the Observatory which is one of the most stunningly beautiful buildings I have ever seen (not an observatory anymore and not open to the public which is a double shame).

Their is a wrap around veranda attached to the dome itself and out there a couple of graduate students had set up some telescopes for us to look at the stars. Then we got to ask questions. Nobody had any so they started asking us questions. Nobody said anything. Finally I couldn’t contain myself and for the next hour plus, long after the other exchange students had left I chatted with these two astronomers. Finally, one of the two, a young man working on his PhD said something like, “what are you doing in this program, you should be in program for people like you, people like us.”

There, under the Ottawa stars I learned for the first time who and what I was. I was a scientist and somewhere out there were other people like me. I actually didn’t have to look very far at all. Jean and Arianna were both retired NRC scientists, biologists as it happened.

In those few minutes at the Dominion Observatory we went from being divided into two solitudes to being united in a culture that has taken thousands of years to develop. They spent the rest of my “immersion experience” dragging me to every museum, lab, observatory, and science event they could find. They even took me to all these parties with their friends, radical separatists definitely but scientists first, last, and always.

Needless to say I didn’t learn to speak French but I found an entire world that as a kid from northern B.C. I had no real idea existed.

And I did finally learn to speak French. It was many years later, but still I learned. I chose the most extreme form of immersion. I married a Francophone. Worked wonders for my French.

Re Strome: Tabernac!

That shift by Puljujarvi is why I believe in him. He is dogged on the back check, absolutely stubborn after the puck.

37. LostBoy says:

Apropos of nothing, but Stauffer in my opinion made a wonderful play by play guy. Rob Brown was excellent as colour. Michaels is probably more of what you need for a radio play by play man – you have to have kind of some barking and excitement, I guess. I’d pay a lot to have Stauffer doing the TV play by play, with Brown or Debrusk doing colour. No disrespect to Kevin Quinn (I’d pay almost as much to have Quinn with Stauffer doing colour). God how we were spoiled when Ferraro was the TV colour guy.

38. Beeker says:

Youtube viewing links? Anyone. PLEASE

39. OriginalPouzar says:

Puljijarvi seemingly making a conscious effort to shoot the puck.

40. Bad Seed says:

VOR,

I always enjoy your posts, Vor!

41. GMB3 says:

Lo oh that pass was awful.

JP with the finnish rocket boots on so far

42. GMB3 says:

Beeker:
    Youtube viewing links? Anyone. PLEASE

Onhockey.tv

43. GMB3 says:

That puck movement was just silly

Lucic from Leon and 97,, it’s 2-0.

Nice work by Auvitu there.

46. pocession charge says:

Gonna see a lot of goals like that this year.

47. Munny says:

Nice slip move by Moto along the boards.

48. Gret99zky says:

Beeker:
    Youtube viewing links? Anyone. PLEASE

49. Armchair GM says:

Yammer (inevitable nickname) just pulled a reverse in front of me. The Hurricane was left wondering where the hell that flea disappeared to. Priceless

50. Oilanderp says:

Get. It. Ouuuut.

Gilbert Perreault rush by Leon there, great chance.

52. Munny says:

Nice give and go turned by Lucic. Great save by Ward on Drai.

53. Oilanderp says:

Man oh man I wish I could watch the oilers play and listen to Jack and Bob at the same time. During the entire season I mean.

54. GMB3 says:

JP and Drai look much better tonight

55. OriginalPouzar says:

Period 1: Puljijariv > Yamamoto

Maybe we should analyze shift for shift?

The AHL/retiree line ( plus Pak) got running around in their own a few times.

Lucic/Drai/Puljijarvi by far the best line.

Russell looks good again, I think Benning looks tentative still.

Auvitu looked good on the PP.

56. Beeker says:

Gret99zky,

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

57. Oilanderp says:

Why do chefs wear such fanciful hats?

58. Oil2Oilers says:

Oilanderp:
    Why do chefs wear such fanciful hats?

Where they charge $72 for a hotdog

59. GMB3 says:

How is the food at Rogers? I’m a tier 4 fan living on Vancouver island so I haven’t made it there for a game yet

60. OriginalPouzar says:

I’ve only sat in in SN Club where food is included – it is apparently quite good – prime rib, sushi, pastas, etc.

I don’t eat it – count/track calories and macros and hit certain numbers and all of the food is essentially untrackable with any certainty

61. GMB3 says:

OriginalPouzar:

62. Oil2Oilers says:

GMB3:

Not bad, better than BC place for example. Better at inspiration than execution and very very expensive.

63. Oil2Oilers says:

Pulujarvi’s play there was exceptional. Back to help and great outlet pass.

64. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Brossoit doing much better tonight…
    Edit: much MUCH better!

65. Oilanderp says:

GMB3:

I’m on the island as well. If you want I can make you a hotdog. I will wear the fanciful hat but it will cost you $72.

66. Gret99zky says:

Oilanderp:
    Why do chefs wear such fanciful hats?

To hide the rat, who is actually doing the cooking. 😉

67. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3: Body building or what? My favourite thing about being an ex-athlete is getting to eat whatever I want now.

How I just kind of want to see where I can go from here in that regard.

I guess vanity is the reason, to be honest.

68. Munny says:

My Gord.

That McDavid kid is good.

69. OriginalPouzar says:

I think Yamamoto just learned the lesson that you always have to be ready when McDavid has the puck.

McDavid just went through the entire CAR team in the offensive zone at warp speed and hit Yamamoto back door but I don’t think he was expecting it.

70. GMB3 says:

OriginalPouzar: Not body building per se but i’m pretty dedicated to my fitness and nutrition – no real reason but i had certain goals and, apparently, tracking calories/macros and hitting certain numbers is the way to finally get the 8% (give or take) look I’ve been looking for for 15 years – took 3 months at 40 years old.

How I just kind of want to see where I can go from here in that regard.

I guess vanity is the reason, to be honest.

Fair enough. Impressive at 40!

71. Crazy Pedestrian says:

OriginalPouzar:

72. jm363561 says:

Man, I know Carolina are a good face off team, but we really suck.

Brossoit playing really well …. fortunately. On the balance of play the scoreline flatters the Oilers.

73. Numenius says:

Banning with some brain farts today.

74. GMB3 says:

Man JP has an impressive variety of skills.

Benning and Russell do not look great.

75. OriginalPouzar says:

Poor play by Yamamoto on that rush.

76. OriginalPouzar says:

Crazy Pedestrian: Me thinks if yammer put that in the net, he would have locked down a roster spot…

77. Jethro Tull says:

Pick one of the interferences on McDavid and call it, refs.

78. OriginalPouzar says:

Numenius:
    Banning with some brain farts today.

He’s had another poor game – he hasn’t been strong this pre-season – Russell has been the anchor on that pair.

79. Nuclear leak says:

That was a good hit

80. Numenius says:

Yeah, Brossoit is really dialed in.

81. jm363561 says:

The last minute 5 on 5 was like the Canes on the PP. I would not bet a lot on the Oil killing this 5 on 3 off.

82. LMHF#1 says:

GMB3:

Not good and silly expensive. They didn’t really step up their game.

The Oilers have a real issue on PK. It’s going to hurt during the regular year.

84. Munny says:

CMD will get more room for those passes if he’d take a few more shots.

85. Oilanderp says:

We are winning!

86. Crazy Pedestrian says:

OriginalPouzar: It probably would have got me to finally add “Yamamoto” to my spell check dictionary.

It was a great day when my iPhone learned fLames as an autocorrect!

87. Professor Q says:

Puljujärvi just tickled Fleury’s behind in frustration of Fleury’s shadowing of him.

That’a boy!

88. OmJo says:

Is the issue the forwards or defense? Might fix when Sekera returns?

Haven’t been able to watch a preseason game yet so no idea what it looks like.

89. OmJo says:

GMB3:
    Man JP has an impressive variety of skills.

Benning and Russell do not look great.

Somebody kidnap his daughter and blame it on whichever team we’re playing that night?

OmJo:

Is the issue the forwards or defense? Might fix when Sekera returns?

Haven’t been able to watch a preseason game yet so no idea what it looks like.

Forwards are running and can’t get the puck out to my eye.

91. BustedSoulO says:

It simply BAFFLES me how, in the year 2017, they can’t get something as simple as an internet feed right……
    Pre-Season, INDEED!

McDavid scores.

93. Zelepukin says:

The Oilers have a real issue on PK. It’s going to hurt during the regular year.

94. Munny says:

Big Mac attack!

95. OriginalPouzar says:

You don’t see many clear cut 2 on 0s from center SH.

96. OriginalPouzar says:

The Oilers have a real issue on PK. It’s going to hurt during the regular year.

McDavid scores

98. pocession charge says:

Ok that goal was ridiculous.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

McDavid with another goal – a beauty.

100. Oilanderp says:

Holy jumpins!

101. Munny says:

Gorgeous

102. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m not even sure what that move was.

OriginalPouzar: I know this isn’t based just on tonight but they are missing Jokinen, Nuge, Letstu.

I don’t think Chris Kelly makes this team but if he does this is the reason.

104. Numenius says:

Unbelievable goal by McDavid

105. russ99 says:

McDavid turned that kid inside-out.

It’s not even fair.

106. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

Connor. Thank you draft. Connor.

107. Munny says:

Whyba?

108. Pescador says:

Is Redickalicious a word?

109. tcho says:

That kid wearing 97 looks pretty good tonight. I bet he makes the team.

110. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: I don’t think Chris Kelly makes this team but if he does this is the reason.

It would be the only reason and i think it would a terrible idea.

He hasn’t even been all that great on the PK in the games he’s played.

The possibility that Kailers contract does not slide at all has increased over the last few weeks (still probably will though).

111. OriginalPouzar says:

I was walking the dog in the 2nd intermission thinking about the posts about the Oilers sucking and getting outplayed and thinking that McDavid seemingly is able to take over any shift in this game whenever he wants.

Kind of proved it in the 3rd.

112. Oilanderp says:

They could’ve called a retaliatory when Gryba was crosschecked from behind after the whistle a foot from the boards.

113. russ99 says:

OriginalPouzar: It would be the only reason and i think it would a terrible idea.

He hasn’t even been all that great on the PK in the games he’s played.

I’d prefer Kelly riding the press box than putting a younger player up there that could use the regular playing time.

114. Munny says:

He passes like he’s 25.

115. pocession charge says:

Rocket skates with a near hat trick there. Good save by Ward.

116. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m not quite sure how the refs don’t give the crowd a penalty shot on that one.

Yamamoto is so skilled. That last pass to spring McDavid is a split second decision and then a dart. Man.

118. Little Poteet says:

Pretty sure 97’s second goal was the hockey equivalent of throwing it off the backboard and dunking it

119. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

Ok, this PP I want to see a higher sense of urgency in getting shots on net.

120. Oilanderp says:

Nice Judo throw, Carrick

121. Munny says:

Auvitu is not the least bit shy in activating,

122. pocession charge says:

Great game for LB. He looked very composed and his rebound control was excellent.

123. Munny says:

pocession charge:
    Great game for LB.He looked very composed and his rebound control was excellent.

Agreed, much better game.

124. striatic says:

I’m not talking about him playing with the team all season, or even nine games, just given his current performance – even accounting for the lower level of pre-season play – how the heck did this kid fall to 22?

The only explanation to me would be the scouts watching him play and thinking his game wouldn’t translate .. ok .. but watching how the kid plays, against men, none of this was obvious to scouts watching him in junior?

At 99 points [42 goals] in 65 games in his draft year. followed by an incredibly impressive combine performance, and this kid goes 22nd? I’m just glad it was the Oilers who got him.

125. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Glad Saskatoon got to see McDavid in all his glory.Does a lot for good will after last year.

126. pocession charge says:

Munny:
    Auvitu is not the least bit shy in activating,

Yeah he loves the Ozone. I’m not sold on him yet. Do you think he can play enough defence to be successful when regular season starts?

127. Munny says:

If KY makes the team, I think I’m trading Caggiula in November.

128. Pescador says:

pocession charge:

Back up worthy even,
    Brossiot is in a great position, very good- improving team to play behind. Superb mentor in Talbot, pressure from under, MacT approved.
    He can still emerge, go LB!

129. Zelepukin says:

striatic: Given his boxcars entering the draft and this pre-season performance, Yamamoto looks like he was an absolute steal at 22nd overall.

The only explanation to me would be the scouts watching him play and thinking his game wouldn’t translate .. ok .. but watching how the kid plays, none of this was obvious to scouts watching him in junior?

Ya I really want to see him play any number of regular season games.

130. Munny says:

pocession charge,

I think Jack and Bob nailed it… Auvitu will get the light fast teams, Gryba the heavy, tougher teams

131. OriginalPouzar says:

Kind of an all over the place game.

Auvitu had a few nice plays but faded as the game went on.

Russell is playing well but Benning is struggling.

Malone and Kelly did nothing and should be reassigned and released soon.

Puljijarvi had a very nice game and played well with Drai and Lucic.

McDavid could take over any shift at will.

Yamamoto didn’t have one of his best games but still managed to make some plays and be noticeable.

Brossoit was fantastic – calm and stopped everything including some great chances.

132. Pescador says:

Munny:
    If KY makes the team, I think I’m trading Caggiula in November.

He really should have consulted us first before changing his number.
    I would have said it wasn’t worth the risk,
    Now look

133. Pescador says:

Munny:
    pocession charge,

What about the teams that are fast And tough?
    Nikita Nikitan?

134. Munny says:

Pescador,

I’d guess Gryba will be the default choice unless Auvitu gets more assertive in his own end and better at zone exits..

135. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Pescador: What about the teams that are fast And tough?Nikita Nikitan?

There can’t be many of those can there?
    Of the top of my head the only teams built like that are:
    Washington
    St. Louis (sorta)
    Boston (kinda)
    Philly (maybe)
    Edmonton (YAAA!!!)

Someone more observant and smarter than me please inform us of any others (I’m hoping there aren’t any)

136. Zelepukin says:

what teams are slow and under-sized?

137. Munny says:

Crazy Pedestrian,

St. Louis is a hurtin unit right now.

138. Professor Q says:

Munny:
    Crazy Pedestrian,

St. Louis is a hurtin unit right now.

I thought that that’s why he retired?

139. Pescador says:

Professor Q: I thought that that’s why he retired?

No doubt, cut the guy some slack

140. Pescador says:

Crazy Pedestrian:

Someone more observant and smarter than me please inform us (I’m hoping there aren’t any)

Those really observant guys are pretty old, most of them are in bed by now.
    I don’t post a lot during the day for exactly that reason,
    I think we’re safe

141. The Prototype JDî says:

Maybe he should be Dart Guy?

142. Professor Q says:

The Prototype JDî: Maybe he should be Dart Guy?

We’re *really* pissing off Leaf fans with these nickname suggestions and usurping theirs.

I love it.

143. OriginalPouzar says:

Thinking we”ll see some cuts today.

Will Fayne survive?

Kelly can’t receive an actual contract, can he?

144. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great game! Re Brossoit. I felt the same about him as Nilsson before.

– If you are giving your back-up a game every 4 weeks, often then 2nd of back-to-backs, you are not giving that goalie the chance to succeed. Brossoit says as much:

“”It feels really nice especially after just getting a couple of half games and then the one full,” said Brossoit. “It was nice to go in there for the first couple of times in a full game scenario. It felt nice to be able to stay focused throughout.””

– I’s really hard to be the back-up, but all goalies like to play: give him a schedule, and this gives us option for if/when Calbot stumbles, or asks for $7MM a year…

145. OriginalPouzar says:

Last year, by the time they finally made the goalie switch and brought LB up, the standings were so tight and each game was so important that it was tough to find games to give LB the net – especially with Talbot flourishing with the heavy workload.

When he did get the net, he gave the team a chance to win, consistently, he just didn’t have the opportunity to do so in a judge-able sample size.

He will have the opportunity this year and I’m hopeful he will grab the opportunity.

146. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Thinking we”ll see some cuts today.

Will Fayne survive?

Kelly can’t receive an actual contract, can he?

He technically could, of course. But I’d rather Jagr.

147. russ99 says:

He made Larsson look off his game yesterday, yes, Larsson the rock.

This is against AHL forwards. God help us (and Talbot) if he gets 10 minutes a night against decent NHL opposition.

Gryba is a flawed player but at least we know what we’re going to get in our zone. A few hand grenade own-zone passes is better than the alternative.

I’d much prefer Chia go out and find an RHD on the waiver wire than either of them, but failing that, and in the event of injury I’d prefer Simpson. Steady, not sexy, prone to rookie mistakes, but still at least replacement level #7 D.

148. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: He technically could, of course. But I’d rather Jagr.

Its pretty clear to me that Jagr has absolutely no interest in coming to the far west and travelling tens of thousands of more miles that he would out east. He’s played 30 games or so for a Western Conference team in his entire career (DAL).

I’m highly confident the reason Jagr hasn’t signed is generally choosiness regarding location – fair enough.

149. Pouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: If you are giving your back-up a game every 4 weeks, often then 2nd of back-to-backs, you are not giving that goalie the chance to succeed. Brossoit says as much:

And that’s the thing. I’ve seen him steal games in the AHL while he was the starter. Can he do the same playing once a week as a backup in the NHL? Totally different animal. He has the technical and athletic ability to do it so we wait.

150. jake70 says:

Loved McDavid shooting on those break-aways. Mixing it up a bit instead of dekes on the goalie most of the time.

151. frjohnk says:

russ99: If you guys are going to completely ignore how Auvitu is a liability in our end without the puck, can’t stop the cycle and is frequently and repeatedly in the wrong position and/or the wrong side of the man he’s supposed to be defending in order to push the “puck movers uber alles” narrative, there’s no helping you.

His puck moving is not good enough to offset his defensive issues just like you mention.

Was at the game last night, and Auvitu is a great skater and can move the puck decently but he had issues in his own zone.

Our D is definitely our achilles heel without Klefbom and Sekera. Last nights lineup was probably closer to the dark years D corpse than what we would expect for a playoff team, but its only preseason. I do think the Oilers would be wise to seek an upgrade here.

Really like watching Larsson, he is a better and quicker skater than given credit for, calm and smart playing D. And smart with the puck too.

152. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: Aside form the fact that he’s not as compact and calm in his movements as Talbot or Ellis, there isn’t a reason to think he won’t perform to expectations – he has so far.

I’ve watched a lot of Barons/Condors hockey over the last 3 years and I would disagree with this. Brossoit is excellent technically. His issues are with trusting his excellent positioning too much and not reacting with his athleticism enough to stop pucks. We’ve seen a few long shots elude him without him even seemingly moving.

153. frjohnk says:

Yamamoto has the skill to play top 6 right now, there is no question. But he is not always going to score and its his play away from the puck that will decide if he makes the team. On one play in the Carolina zone the McDavid line lost the puck and Carolina headed back on a 3 on 2 with Yamamoto trailing, he kept pumping his legs and by the time the play was in the Oiler end it was a 3 on 3, the puck ended up in the slot with a Carolina player and Yamamoto but Yamamoto was on the right side of the puck, got it and then passed it up to McDavid at the blue line

-one funny note, Gryba, and Yamamoto were on the starting lineup standing next to each other on the blue line along with a kid probably 7 years old. It seemed like Yamamoto was about right in the median when looking at all 3 by size.

154. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Zelepukin:
    what teams are slow and under-sized?

– Chicago, soon: they don’t move guys off the puck at all: they are at the tail end window of 10 year stretch: hopefully we are Chicago + next 10 years….