YOU DON’T PULL NO PUNCHES, BUT YOU DON’T PUSH THE RIVER

This Edmonton Oilers team is incomplete. If we can see the problems, it’s certain Todd McLellan can but fixing the hole where the rain comes in is easier said than done. I count defense and penalty killing as the main issues, you can bring you list to compare. The club may address both (acquiring Colin Miller for the defense, signing Chris Kelly for the PK are moves we might see) before opening night.

GOALS LAST NIGHT

1. Zack Kassian (1) from Chris Kelly (3) and Yohann Auvitu (1)
  2. Milan Lucic (1) from Leon Draisaitl (3) and Connor McDavid (5)
  3. Connor McDavid (2) from Drake Caggiula (3)
  4. Connor McDavid (3) from Kailer Yamamoto (2) and Kris Russell (1)

Laurent Brossoit got the shutout with 30 saves. If that was your first hockey game, I expect you would buy a 97 jersey and plan a trip to Edmonton for another game to see the most exciting athlete on the planet.

FROM THE COACH

• Todd McLellan: “There’s still competition. By no means is this camp over.”

It was a funny night in regard to the bubble group. Yohann Auvitu had moments good and bad, seemed to lose his mark a couple of times and that has to be a concern. I remain impressed when he has the puck on his stick. Here’s a quick note on the group who played in Saskatoon last night.

BULBS

Patrick Maroon Connor McDavid Kailer Yamamoto

The line showed well (a bunch of their points came on special teams) but you’d like to see them get more games together before making a final call. I don’t know if Yamamoto gets another game, but my guess is that the coach is at least considering this trio for opening night. McLellan on KY: “He’s been tremendous throughout training camp and probably deserves the right to carry on.”

Milan Lucic Leon Draisaitl Jesse Puljujarvi

A couple of points on the night, for me each man had his best game of  the preseason. Important for all but JP played a sound game and seemed to be far more involved. Lucic used that size and aggression well and Leon was flying with the puck on his stick. I liked this unit quite a bit.

Drake Caggiula Ryan Strome Zack Kassian

All three men did good things on the night, Kassian is a terror when he gets clean air. Strome took a shot off his foot but returned, he has good instincts around the net and I expect he’ll score a few on the power play. Caggiula might play on one of the top two lines opening night.

Brad Malone Chris Kelly Iiro Pakarinen

They had trouble 5×5 with  Carolina, hemmed in pretty much every time I noticed them. PK work from the group was solid, I think Pakarinen is the only one who’ll stay.

Kris Russell Matt Benning

Defended well, I am warming up to this pairing. Edmonton’s 5×5 offense depends on getting the forwards the puck with some clean air in front of them. It was a strength for Benning a year ago and I liked the work from both men last night.

Darnell Nurse Eric Gryba

Nurse seems to have better pace on his passes this fall, small sample size but there does seem to be improvement. He skated miles last night. Gryba was grumpy and physical, he owns the No. 6 job in my opinion.

Yohann Auvitu Adam Larsson

Larsson was terrific, I really like his game. Excellent defender, smart player. I don’t think we’re every going to see 30 points but he helps at the other end. Auvitu is sublime with the puck, indifferent without it. I don’t know that McLellan will employ him for an entire year, but the other option is Mark Fayne. Hell, maybe he keeps them all.

Laurent Brossoit

He was excellent in the shutout, stopping a lot of difficult shots and playing angles well. A nice way to end training camp as he heads into his first season as an NHL backup.

YOU DON’T PULL NO PUNCHES

The number one thing we’re going to keep track of this season is performance without 97 on the ice. When Connor McDavid is playing for the Edmonton Oilers, this is a championship team. Without him? That’s a different story. I’m pleased to see all four lines performing well during the preseason but that has to continue through the season. The Letestu line should get the soft parade but could not dominate a year ago. Nuge may well see far fewer top minutes, he should be able to get closer to 50 percent of the goals at 5×5.

I think it comes down to Leon Draisaitl. If he can push the river (he’ll be playing against tough opposition) and win the goal share 5×5, this Edmonton Oilers team may be able to push for Stanley. Even a sawoff by Nuge and Letestu puts this team in a good spot but with Leon playing a feature role Edmonton could dominate the heart of the game. If Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl win the 5×5 GF-GA by a substantial margin, this team could be a Stanley winner come spring. Enormous weight to put on Leon, we’ll see how he shines.

COLIN MILLER

Jim Matheson has been mentioning Colin Miller and Vegas on twitter the last couple of days, uncertain if he’s doing some blue sky or is hearing something. He chose a really good name for the Oilers, Miller would be a solid fit for the club. If this deal is going to come down, suspect it happens soon.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Today’s show is drunk with terrific guests. At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey at the Edmonton Journal. A look at last night’s game and we’ll chat about the RW options.
  • Rob Vollman, ESPN and NHL.com. We’ll chat about the Pacific Division and the impact of injuries in Anaheim and Edmonton.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. The top 50 players in the NHL.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. We’re less than one week away!

128 Responses to "YOU DON’T PULL NO PUNCHES, BUT YOU DON’T PUSH THE RIVER"

1. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2017-18 season!

Here’s how you play: Pick the exact number of points you think the Oilers will have at the end of the season.

Then, after the usual training camp hypejobs stop and the real NHL starts, Oilers usually lose 2-3 defencemen and spent the rest of the season chasing/debating the lottery. What better way to enjoy those pointless, meaningless games than The Hunter1909 Official Oilers Death March(TM)?

Last year had well over 300 players. Prizes being sorted as this message gets posted for last season’s winners who will be notified at a later date.

Contest Entry: Open until puck drop on opening night. Think of a giant guillotine blade – once the first puck drops it’s all over.

2. Little Poteet says:

Hunter
    Put me down for 98 points please. I think half a season without Sekera will be too much to make up. Still playoffs though!

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Malone to be exposed to waivers and re-assigned is pretty much a no-brainer.

Kelly released from his PTO is also a no-brainer in my mind but I do worry about McLellan and PC deciding we need him for the PK – with the chance of Yamamoto’s contract not sliding, I don’t think a contract for Chris Kelly can be justified.

I think we see this opening night subject to something crazy happening on Sat:

Maroon/McDavid/Yamamoto
    Lucic/Drai/Puljijarvi
    Jokinen/Nuge/Strome
    Caggulia/Letestu/Kassian

Khaira/Pakarinan
    Slep (IR – non-roster)

Klef/Larrson
    Russell/Benning
    Nuge/Gryba

Auvitu

Talbot
    brossoit

4. OriginalPouzar says:

It kind of sucks that I can’t find a place for Khaira but I don’t see the coach sitting Caggulia on opening night.

Nice bottom 6 depth to have Khaira waiting for an opportunity.

It was nice to see Puljijarvi play well on the 2nd line last night but, more importantly, nice to see Lucic and Drai play well together as they struggled big time last year – got caved in possession and, more importantly, goal scoring (gave up more than they scored).

I’ve really liked Russell in the preseason – I think he is materially better on the left side a a bona fide 2LD. I hate the fact that he will move over to the right side I”m sure for portions of the year (i.e. when Auvitu draws in for Gryba). I’d almost prefer Fayne over Auvitu to keep Russell on the left side.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Caveat to the lineup is if Chiarelli is able to acquire another defender that either battles with Gryba/Auvitu for 6D/7D or goes directly in to the lineup.

6. Dustylegnd says:

Very encouraging to see the depth this organization has built in short order, No Nuge no Letestu, no Shlep and still we produce scoring from numerous sources.

RHN as a 3rd line centre is a ridiculous luxury that needs to be capitalized on yesterday

My greatest concern is the lack of foot speed on the current incarnation of the D, teams like Carolina with exceptional speed and aggressive puck pressure give this group fits….Sekera obviously changes a great deal but I am not sure we have the correct solution at 6 D for the likes of Nashville and the Elite east teams

7. Dustylegnd says:

hunter1909,

Hunter put me down for 105 points

8. Seismic Source says:

Sekera is coming back much earlier. He must be. If he doesn’t, Chiarreli isn’t doing his job by not plugging that hole.

Good special teams will seperate teams out of the blocks first thing until this crack down runs its course. I hope we are one of them.

9. nvan97 says:

Is Khaira for Miller unreasonable? They seem to have a glut of 3rd/4th line wingers and it’s only going to get more complicated in the years to come.

10. RexLibris says:

Hey LT, remember the days when the Oilers would pick up a Steve Staios or Jason Smith (or heck, even a Craig Muni) in a subtle little move and within a few weeks the whole defense just started to rhyme?

If Chiarelli picks up Miller for a pick or even a depth player at this point, that’s where I think we’ll be again.

The top 4 are set until Sekera gets back. That means you’ve got Nurse/Gryba/Auvitu as your 5/6/7.

Last year McLellan swapped out Gryba to keep him at 40 games – the perfect number for him, in my opinion.

If we assume that Nurse is the anchor on that pairing, then adding Miller not only supplants Auvitu and Gryba, but gives you a defensive depth that, frankly, I don’t recall seeing since the Cup run.

Miller could play 2nd pairing with a stable partner like Sekera, so adding him in on your 3rd pairing would be a terrific step forward.

It’s the sort of thing the Oilers used to do every year or two.

Funny how you miss the little things.

11. zatch says:

Even with a Sekera injury, I really wish we had better #6/7 options than Gryba and Auvitu. Ugh.

12. Professor Q says:

What about rotating the roulette table?

13. sean w says:

Hunter: 98 points for me, please.

14. Silver Streak says:

Kaira may be that piece that brings us RD help….ie Colin Miller

15. Richard S.S. says:

The Oilers have two quality RD in Larsson and Benning. Beyond that, RD is not a strength right now. The Oilers have three quality LD in Klefbom, Russell and Nurse. Sekera is not getting back soon enough. That’s the problem. The Oilers need to do more than survive until he returns, they need to thrive. Are they going to do that with Gryba and Auvitu as #6 & #7 D? I don’t think so. I’m not sure what the alternative might be.

16. nafnikufesin says:

Hunter, 102 points for me, please

17. misfit says:

What, no goals? Send that Yamamoto kid down tout de suite! And the tooter, the sweeter!

Now back to our regular programming.

Gilbert Brule, Robbie Fabbri….will Kailer Yamamoto join the club?

19. misfit says:

Oh, and Hunter, put me down for 99 please.

20. Pink Socks says:

I’m not sure Khaira is the right call, his contract is too good and he has it beyond this year. He is a serviceable 4th liner for close to free this year and next. I would much rather move a player who is fairly close to the NHL like LaLeggia, who has sufficient talent/upside that would be enough for McPhee to relieve himself of his D problem. PC is in a position of strength dealing with a team with a glut of one way contracts on D.

21. GCW_69 says:

Hunter : 95 points for me please.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

zatch:

Gryba is a pretty darn good 7D – I’m not sure you can ask for much more in a cap world. Its just unfortunate that he’s currently a 6D as you want to plug and play him not rely on him nightly.

23. Whatif says:

godot10,

You are a real breath of fresh air.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

So much talk about Collin Miller – is he really that material a player that would solidify our defence corps?

25. Pink Socks says:

Yamamoto needs to be sent back. Let him rip up the WHL while getting bigger and at the same time saving a year off his ELC.

26. Pink Socks says:

godot10:
    Gilbert Brule, Robbie Fabbri….will Kailer Yamamoto join the club?

Or…

Leon Draisaitl, Jesse Puljujarvi….will Kailer Yamamoto join the club?

27. digger50 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Nice bottom 6 depth to have Khaira waiting for an opportunity.

Line up looks pretty good.

I agree Khaira should be in there based on performance and chemistry we seen. Caggulia has not shown well, which is a shame, expected more from him.

Pink Socks: Or…

Leon Draisaitl, Jesse Puljujarvi….will Kailer Yamamoto join the club?

So you mean the Oilers should waste an ELC year on Yamamoto also?

29. jm363561 says:

godot10:
    Gilbert Brule, Robbie Fabbri….will Kailer Yamamoto join the club?

Is this the club where Vladimir Tkachev briefly belonged?

30. OriginalPouzar says:

digger50: Line up looks pretty good.

I agree Khaira should be in there based on performance and chemistry we seen. Caggulia has not shown well,which is a shame, expected more from him.

Drake does have a bunch of points though.

Again, just like not putting to much stock in great performances, we also can’t put too much stock in weaker performances in pre-season.

Little things too, Drake was likely our best forward on the PK last night and we will need him on the PK during the regular season. Khaira will be a PKer, but he’s not there yet.

31. McSorley33 says:

Am I the only one thinking – Thank Goodness – we traded Brandon Davidson away last year..

I would hate to see a home grown and developed, cheap, option at D.

32. McNuge93 says:

OriginalPouzar: Drake does have a bunch of points though.

Either way it’s a good situation. Our 13 and 14 forwards can go in and out of the lineup as the situation permits. One of our starters gets hurt or performance drops off, put in someone new. Keeps everyone motivated.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Not surprisingly, Malone is on waivers for purpose of assignment to Bakersfield.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: So you mean the Oilers should waste an ELC year on Yamamoto also?

It is unknown at this time if it will be a “waste”.

35. Pink Socks says:

godot10: So you mean the Oilers should waste an ELC year on Yamamoto also?

Exactly my point. For as much as I do like PC, the handling of last year’s #3 is all on his shoulders and not in a good way. MacT can be thanked for LD.

36. Pink Socks says:

McSorley33:

I would hate to see a home grown and developed, cheap, option at D.

Double edged sword IMO. With Davidson likely Auvitu is not signed. Obviously Davidson>Auvitu, but conversely with Davidson then Russell is likely on the right side.

Is Klefbom-Larsson/Davidson-Russell/Nurse-Benning better than Klefbom-Larsson/Russell-Benning/Nurse-Gryba/Auvitu? Maybe, but not by much IMO. Adding a Colin Miller at 3RD makes things look significantly more stable.

37. Spengler says:

hunter1909,

Feels like 98 points this year Hunter, if you’d be so kind.

38. DBO says:

Hunter:
    put me down for 96 pts

Thanks!

39. Badger says:

I have been over in Europe for the last four years where there is zero media coverage so I have to rely on the web for my info and Oiler fix. Love your site and I never miss a post. Great insight and even keel approach is very refreshing. Looking forward to joining in. For Hunter put me down for 107 order

40. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

McSorley33:

I would hate to see a home grown and developed, cheap, option at D.

– Great post LT!

– Stop it: Brendan Davidson isn’t likely to make the top-6 in Montreal either

– And Marincin isn’t likely going to make it in the top-6 in Toronto either

– Gryba costs the same as those guys. They are hardly losses: tweener #6/7’s: different strokes for different folks…

– Marincin and Davidson: all they would be doing is blocking development of our next gen D, who we hope have higher ceilings and are new gen D: fast, strong, good passers

41. digger50 says:

McSorley33:

I would hate to see a home grown and developed, cheap, option at D.

Hated that trade, bad memories there.

Peter says “the guys have worked hard. They deserve some help” then ships out one of them for… David D. They must have been thinking “geez thanks Peter, really apreciate the help here”

The danger of deadline acquisitions.

42. jtblack says:

Nurse: Why does he insist on chasing after his own dump ins. Herarely gets the puck and then scrambles back Why can’t he just dump it in and let it be?
    Larsson: He may never get 30 pts but his ES scoring was almost identical to Klefbom and Sekera. IF Larsson got regular PP time he would score 25 – 30 pts.
    JP: seemed to bobble the puck or fan quite often. I had Yakupov flashbacks. Hope his confidence grows and he can execute short, simple but neccessary passes.
    Nervous for Opening Night!!!
    LT: you have been Bang on the Yamamoto stuff since the day Eberle was moved. Very Impressive forecastimg. Whether he stays past 9 gms or not; you did say he would compete for a spot when most assumed he would be back in Spokane by now (myself included).

43. OmJo says:

McSorley33:

I would hate to see a home grown and developed, cheap, option at D.

At least we got a good return for him- um, nevermind.

44. LoDog says:

McSorley33:

I would hate to see a home grown and developed, cheap, option at D.

Davidson was a nice story but his player type is a dime a dozen and I wouldnt be surprised if he doesn’t make the Habs this year.

45. Side says:

godot10: So you mean the Oilers should waste an ELC year on Yamamoto also?

Depends on your definition of what “waste” is. It’s pretty clear the GMs are intentionally burning a year of ELCs so they could potentially sign the player for cheaper at the end of it.

46. Side says:

McSorley33:

I would hate to see a home grown and developed, cheap, option at D.

Probably not the only one, but I seem to recall Davidson wasn’t quite the Davidson we know and love when he came back from his injury before being traded.

47. magisterrex says:

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2017-18 season!

Hunter, please put me down for 101 points this season

48. Nuclear leak says:

digger50: Hated that trade, bad memories there.

Peter says “the guys have worked hard. They deserve some help” then ships out one of them for…David D.They must have been thinking “geez thanks Peter, really apreciate the help here”

The danger of deadline acquisitions.

Trade was worth it every bit for the timely goal DD scored and set up. Imo

49. PunjabiOil says:

Davidson could end up on waivers, as per my Habs friend. He’s been that bad.

50. PunjabiOil says:

Also seems like Reinhart might be on the waiver wire.

Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty 21m21 minutes ago
    Vegas GM George McPhee will likely wait until Monday to decide what to do with his excess D-men. Trades? Waivers? Reinhart on bubble

51. Shane says:

Badger,

Okay, so with LT saying things like ‘championship team’ and ‘Stanley in spring’ as well as Badger mentioning zero media coverage in Europe(I’ve gone through two training camps while vacationing in Europe, it was tough) I have a question for the group..

My wife and I are planning to take my parents to Europe(our 3rd time, their first). My wife and I usually like going early fall but my parents want to go in the spring. We started planning for May 22nd to June 8th. Then I woke up the next day thinking ‘crap that’s right around the SCF’. Texted my Dad and he said ‘should we cancel the trip’ half jokingly. But I was thinking, with nothing really booked yet, maybe we should push it back a week or two?

Anyways, I’m 30 years old and I’ve been waiting almost my whole life for an Oilers Stanley(can’t recall too much of the ’90 cup heh) and I would be devastated to not be here for Connors first one. And I just have a funny feeling about this year….

Is this crazy talk?!

52. McSorley33 says:

Well, If Griff gets put on waivers by an expansion team….

I checked Bob Green’s bio. Now, reporting the recently fired and seemingly brought back Senior VP of Player Personnel -Scott Howson.

As as aside, Thomas Chabot ( Ottawa was in Winnipeg last night ) drawing rave reviews in training camp.

53. P2theickles1 says:

hunter1909,

Hunter can you please put me down for 101.

Cheers
    Go Oilers Go!!

54. MrDooman says:

Hunter, 101 points for me please 🙂

55. zatch says:

Hunter, 96 Points for me.

56. SudburyOil says:

Hunter, please put me down for 103 points.

57. Litke 94 says:

Desharnais scored that OT winner against the Sharks in the playoffs which to me, allows a considerable amount of forgiveness for losing Brandon Davidson to get him.

Additionally, all I have heard out of Habs camp is what a poor TC Davidson has had. Perhaps he hits the waiver wire and ends up back here. Probably not likely, but stranger things have happened.

58. Side says:

Wow I didn’t realize how bad Erik Karlsson messed his foot up.

“It feels like I have a leather piece in my one ankle. You can’t really move it. It’s going to take some getting used to.”

“They took half of my ankle bone out and the part that is still there should be as normal as possible.”

“It’s a good sign that I’m finally skating, even though it’s a strange feeling and it feels a lot different.”

“I wouldn’t call it pain. I can’t say that it feels normal.”

“With the Achilles [injury in 2013], I had more trouble skating a straight line, not so much going from side to side, which is the issue with this one. Going straight forward and straight backwards is no problem. It’s more being on the edges and being a little bit unstable. So that’s something I’m going to have to figure out and learn how to deal with it…The feeling is probably always going to be there. I’m just going to have to give it time.”

Gross.

59. N64 says:

nvan97:

McPhee chose Reinhart over Khaira.
    So does he have a lower value on RD Miller?
    I’d guess no.
    But you never know.

“there is a case to be made that Reinhart has been among the team’s best, if not the best defensemen so far in the preseason… Of the nine defensemen to have played in at least two preseason games for Vegas, Reinhart is the sole player with positive possession numbers in each contest”.

60. geowal says:

Shane,

If you’re going to push it back, look long and hard at when a finals would be projected to be played. You’d hate to move it only for it to still fall on wrong days. Last year the finals finished June 11, but that season also started much later, Oct 12.

I don’t think you’re crazy.

61. bbf_iii says:

Looking like:
    Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Lucic-RNH-Yamamoto
    Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
    Khaira-Letestu-Kassian
    Pakarinen-Kelly-Puljujarvi
    Slep

If Chris Kelly gets a contract at the expense of JP’s roster spot, that is ill advised. Also this is a waste of an $8.5M players. Also, Klefbom isn’t skating, don’t know why.

Not a great day so far.

62. OmJo says:

Side:
    Wow I didn’t realize how bad Erik Karlsson messed his foot up.

“I wouldn’t call it pain. I can’t say that it feels normal.”

Gross.

A damn shame… He was fun to watch, unless the Senators we’re playing your team.

63. geowal says:

bbf_iii:

Looking like:
    Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Lucic-RNH-Yamamoto
    Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
    Khaira-Letestu-Kassian
    Pakarinen-Kelly-Puljujarvi
    Slep

Not a great day so far.

If the Oilers are down a goal (or two) in the third, do you think it’s a waste of an 8.5 MM player to put him with CmD? If so, wouldn’t it behoove them to have ONE pre-season practice in that config, while test driving Strome C ability?
    Seems reasonable to me, I don’t think this is the opening night lineup as one doesn’t normally dress 15 forwards…

64. OriginalPouzar says:

If Kelly gets a roster spot at all its ill-advised, in my opinion.

Shit, if we sign Kelly and Yamamoto stays, that’s 50 contracts.

Those lines are all over the place – I don’t know what, if anything to read in to those.

I think its just getting some other looks – getting McDavid and Drai some time together to get reacquainted as we know they will play together for periods of time.

65. OmJo says:

Litke 94,

Maybe Davidson is having trouble adapting to Bergevins system? I wonder who Habs fans want gone more, Davidson or Bergevin, lol.

Could very well be that injury was the straw that broke the camel’s back, as the kids say these days.

bbf_iii:

Looking like:
    Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Lucic-RNH-Yamamoto
    Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
    Khaira-Letestu-Kassian
    Pakarinen-Kelly-Puljujarvi
    Slep

Not a great day so far.

In terms of the handling of the forwards in this training camp….dementoring-extra-light.

67. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar,

Let’s hope the PK goes lights out tonight. If it’s as bad as some are suggesting that makes a good case for Kelly.

Although I’m kind of hopeful the Flames will sign him before we do. They seem to go after all the players we’re interested in.

68. OriginalPouzar says:

Klef isn’t on the ice for practice after not going to Saskatoon last night…………..

69. ashley says:

Side:
    Wow I didn’t realize how bad Erik Karlsson messed his foot up.

“I wouldn’t call it pain. I can’t say that it feels normal.”

Gross.

Just the kind of guy Lowe and Tambellini would trade top assets for with seemingly no knowledge of his reconstructive ankle/foot surgery history.

That’s generous though. They wouldn’t actually be interested until next year’s trade deadline when his production and ability are in obvious decline.

70. Professor Q says:

PunjabiOil:
    Also seems like Reinhart might be on the waiver wire.

Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty21m21 minutes ago

Isn’t he the Assistant Captain?

71. Side says:

OriginalPouzar:

I’m hoping he just has a flu or something and they’d rather let him rest for the regular season.

72. OriginalPouzar says:

You were right – Klef is fine, just hasn’t been feeling well – should be fine to play on Saturday.

*wipes brow*

73. stush18 says:

N64: The Reinhart discussion is so well marked that folks seldom walk into that fire fire swamp without noticing but…

McPhee chose Reinhart over Khaira.
    So does he have a lower value on RD Miller?
    I’d guess no.
    But you never know.

I’ve said it a million times, so I’ll say it again.

I believe reinhart and nurse to be equal, yet different defencemen.

I don’t believe swapping one out with the other would change results

74. OriginalPouzar says:

bbf_iii:

Looking like:
    Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Lucic-RNH-Yamamoto
    Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
    Khaira-Letestu-Kassian
    Pakarinen-Kelly-Puljujarvi
    Slep

Not a great day so far.

Coach has confirmed he wasn’t really looking at the Connor/Drai line but was more looking at the other combinations.

75. OriginalPouzar says:

Big Georges was on Oilers Now and says there is almost no chance that Davidson will make the Habs.

OriginalPouzar:

They signed Alzner, Streit, and Schlemko as free agents….three veteran left shot D. Streit likely as a #6 and point man for the 2nd unit of the power play.

i.e. It is not as if Davidson has become a worse defensemen.

77. OriginalPouzar says:

Georges says he’s had an awful camp.

78. LoDog says:

godot10: They signed Alzner, Streit, and Schlemko as free agents….three veteran left shot D.Streit likely as a #6 and point man for the 2nd unit of the power play.

i.e. It is not as if Davidson has become a worse defensemen.

And he was so good last year that they went out and signed three LH dmen.

79. Abbeef says:

hunter1909,

Hunter, please put me down for 102 points. Thanks for running this!

80. John Chambers says:

I prefer Strome to play C. We have a plethora of RW options, none of them terrific this camp, save for Yamamoto, so putting Drai and CMD back on a line to develop chemistry in advance of the season is novel.

Especially at home, having a top-heavy lineup is to our advantage.

81. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar:

*wipes brow*

I heard that Klef took a puck off a foot, but they’re keeping it quiet.

82. treevojo says:

stush18: I’ve said it a million times, so I’ll say it again.

I believe reinhart and nurse to be equal, yet different defencemen.

I don’t believe swapping one out with the other would change results

I swear I haven’t thrown my phone against the wall 1 million and one times.

Are you sure on those numbers?

83. stush18 says:

treevojo: I swear I haven’t thrown my phone against the wall 1 million and one times.

Are you sure on those numbers?

Yup. Just like godots sure TMac is a mediocre coach and woodguys phone is sure mcdavid shoots right.

84. stush18 says:

Are you sure on those numbers?

Also 75% of all stats are made up.

85. treevojo says:

Woodguy v2.0: I heard that Klef took a puck off a foot, but they’re keeping it quiet.

They are not doing a very good job.

86. Woodguy v2.0 says:

i.e. It is not as if Davidson has become a worse defensemen.

They also have Jordie Benn, who played 1st pairing to end the year there last year.

87. Woodguy v2.0 says:

treevojo: They are not doing a very good job.

I haven’t read it yet or heard it on the radio.

Note: I did not get this from anyone who works with the team

88. treevojo says:

Woodguy v2.0: I haven’t read it yet or heard it on the radio.

I’m guessing you weren’t on the radio today?

89. russ99 says:

John Chambers:

Especially at home, having a top-heavy lineup is to our advantage.

I prefer Strome at RW on the first line, due to his puck control prowess.

Once preseason is over, the kids who stick will be given NHL regular season roles, not preseason let’s try them on scoring line roles. TMac has a good idea who can handle which role.

Maroon – McDavid – Strome
    Lucic – Draisaitl – Caggiula (maybe Kassian, my summer pick)
    Jokinen – RNH – kid (likely Yamamoto for the first 3-4 games or so, then Puljujarvi)
    Khaira – Letestu – Kassian/Caggiula

Klefbom – Larsson
    Russell – Benning
    Nurse – Gryba

90. Woodguy v2.0 says:

treevojo: I’m guessing you weren’t on the radio today?

Nope. Haven’t listened either.

Is everyone talking about the puck to the foot?

91. OriginalPouzar says:

Your not serious, are you?

92. OriginalPouzar says:

I listened to most of Lowetide and about half of Oilers Now and didn’t hear anything about Klef’s foot.

Haven’t listened to any of the Gregor show.

93. treevojo says:

Woodguy v2.0: Nope. Haven’t listened either.

Is everyone talking about the puck to the foot?

sometimes my humour seems to get lost in text.

Or maybe I’m just not very funny.

94. Side says:

Woodguy v2.0: I haven’t read it yet or heard it on the radio.

Note: I did not get this from anyone who works with the team

Is this a riddle?

95. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t know what’s happening – for real, is there any semi-reliable info about a foot issue?

96. Chachi says:

treevojo: sometimes my humour seems to get lost in text.

Or maybe I’m just not very funny.

I got it. And you are funny.

OriginalPouzar:

Haven’t listened to any of the Gregor show.

98. bhooradley says:

Hunter, forgive me if I’ve posted this already (I don’t think so), but I’m going with 96 points this year. Thanks for doing this for us all, it’s been fun. Especially last year!

99. leadfarmer says:

Lowetide: Nothing I’ve seen or heard on Woodguy’s Klefbom foot injury. That’s devastating.

Wait!!! Woodguy’s got Klefboms foot injury?

100. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Your not serious, are you?

Not serious but enough that they want him to rest it before the season starts so I’d guess a deep bruise or light crack on a bone.

If he doesn’t play in VAN I wouldn’t be sure he plays vs CGY on Oct 4

101. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer: Wait!!!Woodguy’s got Klefboms foot injury?

It’s contagious

102. Side says:

leadfarmer: Wait!!!Woodguy’s got Klefboms foot injury?

I heard Woodguy comment on his foot injury, he was saying

“I wouldn’t call it pain. I can’t say that it feels normal.”

103. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Side: Is this a riddle?

Nope.

Since I’ve been doing Bob’s show as a summer filler I’ve been asked a few times if Bob leaks anything and I want to be clear that he doesn’t.

At least not to me.

104. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Side,

Well done sir

105. Woodguy v2.0 says:

treevojo: sometimes my humour seems to get lost in text.

Or maybe I’m just not very funny.

When Klef’s injury spread to me it lodged in my nuance bone.

In the interests of keeping this thing from getting out of hand, please do not ask Woodguy which foot is injured. I don’t want to be responsible for blaming any more phones.

107. GMB3 says:

Little trivia question for y’all!

When was the last season when the Edmonton Oilers first round pick from the most recent entry draft not play over 50% of the season in Edmonton for the Oilers?

108. Halfwise says:

The handedness of feet passeth all understanding.

109. OriginalPouzar says:

If he’s got any level of foot injury and the organization is just stating that he’s sick – that’s very very concerning.

110. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3:
    Little trivia question for y’all!

Darnell Nurse

111. GMB3 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Nice bottom 6 depth to have Khaira waiting for an opportunity.

Why would Auvitu drawing into the lineup force Russell to his off side?

112. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

GMB3:
    Little trivia question for y’all!

– Neither Ebs or Klef did I don’t think, or Nurse

113. LoDog says:

GMB3:
    Little trivia question for y’all!

Umm this past season? Puljujarvi only played 28 games.

GMB3:
    Little trivia question for y’all!

Jesse Puljujarvi, 2016.

115. Woodguy v2.0 says:

The one in the middle

116. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3: Why would Auvitu drawing into the lineup force Russell to his off side?

Presumably Gryba comes out for Auvitu so who else is going to play the right side? Not Nurse, not Klef and not Auvitu.

117. OriginalPouzar says:

LoDog: Umm this past season? Puljujarvi only played 28 games.

Correct but he was on the roster for enough games to break though the most important year of service towards UFA threshold.

118. wheatnoil says:

Let me be the first to say that if Klefbom doesn’t start the year, it’s all Woodguy’s fault.

Possibly his phone is an accomplice.

119. bsmart says:

Woodguy v2.0: The one in the middle

No Woodguy, that’s the third leg not the third foot 😉

120. wheatnoil says:

bsmart: No Woodguy, that’s the third leg not the third foot

Wait, is Woodguy reporting that Dreamy’s penis is broken?

That may impact his zone entries.

(I’m sorry)

121. OriginalPouzar says:

How can there be such joking when this is the type of news that could lead to us missing the playoffs

Losing one of Larsson or Klefbom long term, in particular prior to Sekera coming back, is right up there with the loss of Talbot and McDavid.

122. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Presumably Gryba comes out for Auvitu so who else is going to play the right side?Not Nurse, not Klef and not Auvitu.

I could see Autivu player 3RD

123. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: I could see Autivu player 3RD

In the NHL?

124. bendelson says:

OriginalPouzar,

It’s a nervous laughter OP…

125. OriginalPouzar says:

I’ll be anxious for practice tomorrow and Klef’s participation.

126. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: In the NHL?

127. OriginalPouzar says:

Doesn’t seem like a good idea to me – playing a guy fighting for a 7th d-man spot in the NHL with defensive deficiencies on his off-side with another developing d-man (Nurse) who also has own zone deficiencies.