SLEPYSHEV TO BAKERSFIELD, ROSTER AT 22, 50-MAN AT 49

The more I look at the current Oilers roster, the more I’m convinced this thing could go any number of ways. Peter Chiarelli appears to have set up the roster like a giant chessboard (checkers for the anti-PC crew) and a lot depends on the teenage forward. Today’s move (Slepyshev to Bakersfield, there are others at the minor league level) means the Oilers will begin the season with 22 men (23 is the max) and save a few shekels toward the cap.

OPENING NIGHT ROSTER

• The numbers are 5×5/60 scoring via NaturalStatTrick, you’ll see this same table tomorrow in the GDT.
  • With Slepyshev in Bakersfield, there are 22 names on the roster.
  • If Yamamoto falters, we could see Slepy recalled and inserted directly into the lineup.
  • Chris Kelly remains with the team but does not have a contract and is not on the roster.
  • If the team sends Yamamoto out, we might see Chris Kelly signed.
  • The defense is going to be the concern for the first month of the season, it will be interesting to see how long the general manager goes with these 7 men.
  • If the team needs defensive help, we might see one of these young wingers dealt as part of the transaction. Who needs forwards?

CURRENT 50-MAN LIST (49)

• This adds Kailer Yamamoto (who doesn’t slide) to the 50-man and gives us an idea about what the team is looking at in terms of transactions.
  • Any trade is going to involve a player going out. That could be an AHL player in the final year of an entry-deal but it’s going to be a requirement, I’d expect.

CONDORS MOVES

• Added Anton Slepyshev
  • Sent Kyle Platzer and Zach O’Brien to Wichita

CONDORS ROSTER (26)

• Goal (2): Nick Ellis, Edward Pasquale
  • Defense (8): Dillon Simpson, Keegan Lowe, Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear, Ziyat Paigin, Mark Fayne, Ryan Mantha, Ben Betker
  • Center (5): Brad Malone, Grayson Downing, Josh Currie, Joe Gambardella, Chad Butcher
  • Left Wing (5): Mitch Callahan, Ryan Hamilton, Joey Laleggia, Braden Christoffer, Evan Polei
  • Right Wing (6): Anton Slepyshev, Jesse Puljujarvi, Ty Rattie, Patrick Russell, Greg Chase, Dave Gust

73 Responses to "SLEPYSHEV TO BAKERSFIELD, ROSTER AT 22, 50-MAN AT 49"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Slep will be back very soon – potentially even for the game on Monday night depending on how he feels after a couple of regular season games in the AHL.

The organizational contracts are at 49 and I’ve professed this to be a material reason why an acquisition up front has not been an option – at least not via signing (as opposed to trade with a contract going out).

Our GM was express yesterday that, while he will evaluate both the forwards and defence group early in the season, he has more of a concern about the defensive group and will be quicker to pull the trigger if they aren’t looking at least adequate prior to Sekera’s return.

We can’t sign a 50th contract unless its a material add for immediate help at a huge hole (i.e 2RD).

The 49 contracts could very well turn to 48 with Yamamoto’s assignment to Spokane – this seems reasonably likely but its not a certainty.

2. geowal says:

If there’s any prospect swapping with a team with fewer contracts, expect Platzer to be thrown in as a “sweetener” to reduce the number. Can’t crack AHL in 3rd year of deal…man.

geowal:

could be Platzer but also Chase, Christoffer or Betker. Oilers have a few men who are in that range.

4. Westchester Oil says:

Right wing at the NHL level is a big question mark. Right wing at the AHL level is a strenth.

Looking at our defence and the contract situation which was muddied by the four year contract given out to Russell, but also recognizing that Russell seems best suited for the left side – the best long-term solution I see is moving Nurse (and another asset probably) for a 2RD.

This would leave us with a top 6 of:

Klef-Larsson
    Sekera – 2RD
    Russell-Benning

5. OriginalPouzar says:

“If the team sends Yamamoto out, we might see Chris Kelly signed.”

I guess this the potential but its a horrible idea in my opinion. I won’t go in to my usual rant but he’s simply not a valid NHL player any more – the eye test showed this clearly and WG’s tweets from earlier in the day showed some of the worst effects on GF% of teamates in years, many years.

In my mind, that roster spot (the Yamamoto spot) is being warmed for Jesse Puljijarvi – it could be similar to Leon with a call-up within a few weeks or maybe another player from Bakersfield keeps Puljijarvi’s spot warm for a month or two prior to his recall.

Chris Kelly? Not in 2017.

OriginalPouzar:
    “If the team sends Yamamoto out, we might see Chris Kelly signed.”

I guess this the potential but its a horrible idea in my opinion.I won’t go in to my usual rant but he’s simply not a valid NHL player any more – the eye test showed this clearly and WG’s tweets from earlier in the day showed some of the worst effects on GF% of teamates in years, many years.

Chris Kelly? Not in 2017.

7. Westchester Oil says:

OriginalPouzar:

Given that we’re pushing up to 50 contracts, I still don’t understand why a guy like Brian Ferlin was signed. I would have hoped that Chiarelli would have had the foresight to leave some more flexibility in this regard.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

“If the team needs defensive help, we might see one of these young wingers dealt as part of the transaction. Who needs forwards?”

Las Vegas only has 10 forwards (and 11 Dmen) on their roster………..

or maybe its 10 d-men if they haven’t done something with one of their 3 goalies.

9. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2017-18 season!

Here’s how you play: Pick the exact number of points you think the Oilers will have at the end of the season.

Then, after the usual training camp hypejobs stop and the real NHL starts, Oilers usually lose 2-3 defencemen and spent the rest of the season chasing/debating the lottery. And what better way is there to enjoy those pointless, meaningless games than The Hunter1909 Official Oilers Death March(TM)?

It’s easy!

All Returning players and New players welcome!

10. Suntory Hanzo says:

Put me down for 105 Hunter.

11. Broiler says:

hunter1909,

Hunter
    Put me down for 107

12. Dac189 says:

Put me down, Hunter, for 106

13. Silver Streak says:

Hunter 1909

Hunter put me down for 93…

14. HT Joe says:

hunter1909,

Hi Hunter,

Thanks for running this again. In case you missed me, could you please put me down for 88 points?

thank you!!

15. blainer says:

Lowetide: I honestly don’t think anyone on the blog disagrees with you. It’s interesting to see the organization’s handling of this player and I do wonder if he eventually gets a contract.

Last years Chris Kelly was Jonas Gustavsson.

GM’s just make the wrong calls sometimes .. It happens. What amazes me is how the coach doesn’t see or tells the GM this is a big mistake. Let’s hope TMc stays away from Kelly. He has had a great career but his legs just aren’t able to keep up to today’s pace.

16. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Apparently Eichel just signed an 8 year $80M extension. Wow.
    This makes me feel much better about Drais contract.
    Also makes me feel better knowing Toronto will need to pay through the nose to keep their players happy

17. Munny says:

hunter1909,

What’s the deadline, Hunter?

18. HT Joe says:

Crazy Pedestrian:
    Apparently Eichel just signed an 8 year $80M extension. Wow.
    This makes me feel much better about Drais contract.

geowal:

A draft pick will be the likely cost of “losing” a contract, unless Chiarelli has a few favours owed him out there.

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2017-18 season!

It’s easy!

All Returning players and New players welcome!

91 points.

21. OriginalPouzar says:

Crazy Pedestrian:
    Apparently Eichel just signed an 8 year $80M extension. Wow.
    This makes me feel much better about Drais contract.

Its a bit of a risk because due to his “break out” being in an injury shortened season but Eichel is indeed on another level. He would have competed for 1st overall with Matthews in his draft year and is on that level.

22. jonrmcleod says:

hunter1909,

Are you going to give us a list of all the predictions before opening night?

23. Pescador says:

Crazy Pedestrian:
    Apparently Eichel just signed an 8 year $80M extension. Wow.
    This makes me feel much better about Drais contract.

I don’t see anyone telling big Lou the way it’s going be from now on, especially some hotshot young whippersnapper.
    Buffalo is in disarray, tail is wagging the dog over there.
    Plus Eichel just seems like the type. (possible hearsay)

24. digger50 says:

Down to one contract now does seem shortsighted. Peter seems unconcerned though so should not be an insurmountable issue.

The only real move this summer was the blunder. Moving Eberle had to be done. Strome as the return was not the answer at 1RW. If they thought that was a fit then that was just wishful thinking. Strome as third line center is better, but disrupts the Connor/Leon/Nuge plan. Long term Strome may handle the job if Nuge is not here but man that is dumping even more skill for mediocre players.

Stromes performance aside, Peter should have used Eberle to secure a RHD. Failing that he should have used the expansion draft opportunities. (Some great d men were cheap this summer!)

Trying to fill holes now we have limited choices:
    Pick from unsigned leftovers
    Waivers that most have already passed on
    Forced into an expensive trade

I fear Peter makes a poor trade now. Best outcome would be Not to make matters worse by signing Kelly or by being forced into a poor last ditch trade.

25. kgo says:

Hunter, I’m reducing my prediction to 106

26. Professor Q says:

Pescador: I don’t think any of the young talent in TO feels the need to bend the leafs over the way Eichel does with the Sabres.
    Buffalo is in disarray, tail is wagging the dog over there.
    Plus Eichel just seems like the type. (possible hearsay)

I think you might be surprised. There are 3 Bigs there plus others and Lou might not be there for long.

27. GMB3 says:

Crazy Pedestrian:
    Apparently Eichel just signed an 8 year $80M extension. Wow.
    This makes me feel much better about Drais contract.

Makes me feel worse about the Drai contract.

28. GMB3 says:

Buffalo is in disarray, tail is wagging the dog over there.
    Plus Eichel just seems like the type. (possible hearsay)

Reportedly Eichel took less to help the Sabres cap situation. He’s an elite 1C getting paid like an elite 1C. I’d take him at 10 over Drai at 8.5. At least you know he can centre a line.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

Kyle Platzer assigned to Witchita.

I assume he’ll be back in Bakersfield once Slep is recalled.

30. Professor Q says:

GMB3: Where does this hearsay come from? I’ve listened to a few Eichel interviews and his time as a guest on Spittin’ Chiclet’s. There’s probably a better chance that Hall is a cancer opposed to Eichel, if we’re going to play that game.

I definitely wouldn’t take him at $10 over Drai at $8.5.

31. CapeBretonOilers says:

Hunter put me down for 103 points please my pretty wife picked the total ( not knowing that was the total last year )

32. Pescador says:

GMB3: Where does this hearsay come from?

I’d take him at 10 over Drai at 8.5.

Me

And, no

33. Pescador says:

HT Joe: I don’t know who pointed it out, but that kid will forever look like a James Bond villain…

The Man With The Golden Tongue

34. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! I got me thinking. This from Chia: ““I understand the spotlight on the right side, and we just sent a good young player down in Jesse. I’m not disappointed.”

– I wonder what % these are the coaches call vs. Chia’s call. For Kailer for instance. Let’s say he does ok: a few goals, a few assists. Not lights out, but better than others. How much does McL get to “fight for the best roster”, vs. Chia who makes calls on managing the cap, development, etc…

35. who says:

I am very confident Drai can center a line. What makes you think he can’t?
    Eichel is a good young player, but so is Drai.

36. Little Poteet says:

My vote is Tomorrow’s GD post is called “the waiting”

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – Great post LT!I got me thinking.This from Chia: ““I understand the spotlight on the right side, and we just sent a good young player down in Jesse. I’m not disappointed.”

– I wonder what % these are the coaches call vs. Chia’s call.For Kailer for instance.Let’s say he does ok: a few goals, a few assists.Not lights out, but better than others.How much does McL get to “fight for the best roster”, vs. Chia who makes calls on managing the cap, development, etc…

It’s a great question, the answer probably varies from case to case. I remember Kevin Lowe talking every summer about Jason Chimera being a sure bet for the Oil and MacT sending him out every fall.

38. judgedrude says:

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2017-18 season!

It’s easy!

All Returning players and New players welcome!

Ah, this team is a Mess.

Put me down for 111.

39. YEG FOLK says:

hunter1909,

Hunter, put me down for 98 please and thanks.

40. Jaxon says:

hunter1909,

Put me down for 90 pts please.

41. Hiratij says:

hunter1909,

Put me down for 103 please and thanks

42. pocession charge says:

GMB3:

At his scoring pace, he would have gotten about 80 points in a full season. CMD scored 100 points. 80% of CMD’s contract is $10M/year. The argument that he ‘took less’ is a tad underwhelming. Draisaitl’s p/g was equivalent to Eichel’s for $8.5M/year — don’t be too sad.

43. pocession charge says:

Buffalo is in disarray, tail is wagging the dog over there.
    Plus Eichel just seems like the type. (possible hearsay)

Eichel’s a bit immature and it comes across in his interviews. Just another feather in CMD’s cap vis-a-vis his level of professionalism and maturity at such a young age.

I’ll take a stab at the Leafs contracts for next year: Matthews $12M/yr, Marner and Nylander $7M/yr each.

44. Pescador says:

pocession charge: At his scoring pace, he would have gotten about 80 points in a full season.CMD scored 100 points.80% of CMD’s contract is $10M/year.The argument that he ‘took less’ is a tad underwhelming.Draisaitl’s p/g was equivalent to Eichel’s for $8.5M/year — don’t be too sad.

This math passes the eye test

45. Gerta Rauss says:

jonrmcleod:
    hunter1909,

Are you going to give us a list of all the predictions before opening night?

We ask every year but he never does

I think having the points totals as part of the public record would be a great opportunity for shit talking, shaming, and ridiculing your fellow posters

That is, after all, what friends are for

46. Robinthe403 says:

hunter1909,

hunter1909,

Hunter,

Please put me down for a cool 107 points, please.

Regards,

Robinthe403

47. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss,

There are hundreds of entrants. It’s a lot to ask of hunter.

48. GMB3 says:

49. GMB3 says:

Eichel also was coming off an injury at the start of the year

50. Professor Q says:

I don’t think that’s true at all. Eichel and McDavid actually have terrible chemistry together. McDavid has better chemistry with MacKinnon and Matthews than Eichel (not to mention the obvious Maroon and Draisaitl, who can indeed do his own thing).

51. Chachi says:

James Neal 2011/12 – 81 points.

Weird, you would think that would be a longer list what with all the pushing those two players must do for their teammates. Maybe Draisaitl is good? Maybe he is really, really good? Nah, he’s Blair MacDonald, all the smart people say so.

52. Edmonton_fan says:

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2017-18 season!

97 points please…

53. pocession charge says:

GMB3:
    Eichel also was coming off an injury at the start of the year

His scoring rates were fairly consistent throughout the season (except for a power play heater in March). Not sure that injury had much effect on his production.

54. pocession charge says:

The McDavid push isn’t automatic. Without straying too far into sample size issues, Taylor Hall didn’t exactly light it up on Connor’s wing. Eberle, either.

55. innercitysmytty says:

hunter1909,

Hunter, 109 points please and thanks

56. deardylan says:

Love this Lowetide line… “Peter Chiarelli appears to have set up the roster like a giant chessboard (checkers for the anti-PC crew) and a lot depends on the teenage forward.”

16 pieces:
    1 king.
    1 queen.
    2 rooks.
    2 bishops.
    2 knights.
    8 pawns.

Without King McDavid…checkmate!

If it is a giant chessboard then what piece does Yamamoto represent in next 9 games and beyond?
    Pawn? Central Pawn? Castle? Bishop? Knight? Queen?

57. Doug McLachlan says:

Hunter, put me down for a solid Pool Party of 98 points.

Can someone smarter than me explain what the Vegas Golden Knights are doing with their roster?

Surely there is a trade or two coming. Right?

The have 3 goalies, 10 defenders and only 10 forwards. WTF?!?

Chia, Collin Miller for Fayne, Betker and a 2nd?

58. Woogie63 says:

If Pitlick has a break out year, I am not sure how I will feel

59. Android says:

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2017-18 season!

It’s easy!

All Returning players and New players welcome!

107 please Hunter.

60. 106 and 106 says:

There’s an article our titled “Suddenly everyone loves the Edmonton Oilers…”

and i’m like, listen, loving them now is easy.

I read Lowetide twice a day…. in 2012.

61. Pretendergast says:

Professor Q,

I think it was not unlike Hall and Mcdavid. They both drive their lines and are used to having the puck and not deferring. They are the dominant force, the fact Leon can compliment Connor is just a testament to Drais versatility.

That said, I’d still rather have Eichel as 2c, kid would absolutely be our Gino Malkin. Drai we’re just ‘pretty sure’

62. hunter1909 says:

deardylan:

16 pieces:
    1 king.
    1 queen.
    2 rooks.
    2 bishops.
    2 knights.
    8 pawns.

Without King McDavid…checkmate!

Pawn? Central Pawn? Castle? Bishop? Knight?Queen?

I’d call it a Knight Sacrifice [once someone crushes his sternum ala Gilbert Brule(another undersized forward rushed into the NHL before developing man strength)].

63. OriginalPouzar says:

Game Day!!!!!

64. OriginalPouzar says:

Vegas assigned Shea Thodore to the AHL – mind boggling.

Clearly a move due to his waiver exemption as I can’t believe he doesn’t fit in their top 4, right now.

65. Jordan says:

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2017-18 season!

It’s easy!

All Returning players and New players welcome!

Hi Hunter – hope you’re having fun compiling all the entrants this year.

Would you please put me down for 101 points this year?

Thanks so much!

66. Professor Q says:

deardylan:

16 pieces:
    1 king.
    1 queen.
    2 rooks.
    2 bishops.
    2 knights.
    8 pawns.

Without King McDavid…checkmate!

Pawn? Central Pawn? Castle? Bishop? Knight?Queen?

A Rook(ie), non?

Now, Talbot or Draisaitl as Queen…

67. Yeti says:

Professor Q: A Rook(ie), non?

Now, Talbot or Draisaitl as Queen…

I wonder if Talbot must be the king (little mobility, but often the most important piece on the board) while Connor is Queen – the most powerful?

68. Factotum says:

Hunter, put me down for 93 points, please.

69. oscarmike says:

Now that the games matter I guess we will see if Yamamoto can hold his own or is thrown around like a rag doll.
    It’s good Oilers didn’t sign Jagr or Iggy. They have enough talent to play on the PP and in the top 6. Besides they’re too slow to play in the top 6 and too old to play on the checking lines.
    Go Oilers

70. GMB3 says:

Chachi: McDavid is truly special. Just like Crosby and Malkin. Players playing on the Penguins must have seen quite the real and spectacular push to their point totals. Let me check. Hmmm. That’s weird. There have been some pretty decent players over the years to suit up with Sid and Geno. Here’s the list of Penguins players that had more points than Draisaitl just put up last season while having their stats pumped by playing with not one, but two generational players:

James Neal 2011/12 – 81 points.

I never said Draisaitl isn’t a good hockey player, just not as good as Eichel. Eichel is a legitimate elite 1C in the NHL. Don’t forget his season this year is his draft +3. Convenient to forget for all the blind homers who think Draisaitl has proved himself to be an elite centre man in the NHL.. which is what he’s getting paid as.

There are people who think Draisaitl is as good as Eichel and those aren’t the smart people. Take off the rose coloured glasses and quit being so over dramatic.

And Professor Q, you do have a point there. I suppose a better way of phrasing that would be that Eichel would (and will) outproduce Draisaitl as a centre.

71. GMB3 says:

pocession charge: The McDavid push isn’t automatic.Without straying too far into sample size issues, Taylor Hall didn’t exactly light it up on Connor’s wing.Eberle, either.

That’s fair. I more meant that draisaitl’s offense was propped up by McDavid to some extent.

My point was that if I were to take one of the two players to centre another line, it would be eichel

72. Chachi says:

GMB3: You really enjoy twisting other people’s comments to fit your own narrative hey?

Here’s what you wrote:

“GMB3: Put it in the context of who Eichel plays with and what position he plays. Eichel would have put up unreal numbers with McDavid. Let’s not pretend the McDavid push isn’t real and spectacular”

Sure sounds like you think Draisaitl is a good player. I haven’t read one comment saying Draisaitl is an elite centre, but there is so little evidence either way it would be hard to say that. There is some evidence that Eichel might be a slightly better player than Draisaitl, but it would probably be prudent to wait to see how he does this year before you lock in your opinion. Anyways, you are exactly as smart as I think you are.