The more I look at the current Oilers roster, the more I’m convinced this thing could go any number of ways. Peter Chiarelli appears to have set up the roster like a giant chessboard (checkers for the anti-PC crew) and a lot depends on the teenage forward. Today’s move (Slepyshev to Bakersfield, there are others at the minor league level) means the Oilers will begin the season with 22 men (23 is the max) and save a few shekels toward the cap.
OPENING NIGHT ROSTER
- The numbers are 5×5/60 scoring via NaturalStatTrick, you’ll see this same table tomorrow in the GDT.
- With Slepyshev in Bakersfield, there are 22 names on the roster.
- If Yamamoto falters, we could see Slepy recalled and inserted directly into the lineup.
- Chris Kelly remains with the team but does not have a contract and is not on the roster.
- If the team sends Yamamoto out, we might see Chris Kelly signed.
- The defense is going to be the concern for the first month of the season, it will be interesting to see how long the general manager goes with these 7 men.
- If the team needs defensive help, we might see one of these young wingers dealt as part of the transaction. Who needs forwards?
CURRENT 50-MAN LIST (49)
- This adds Kailer Yamamoto (who doesn’t slide) to the 50-man and gives us an idea about what the team is looking at in terms of transactions.
- Any trade is going to involve a player going out. That could be an AHL player in the final year of an entry-deal but it’s going to be a requirement, I’d expect.
- Added Anton Slepyshev
- Sent Kyle Platzer and Zach O’Brien to Wichita
CONDORS ROSTER (26)
- Goal (2): Nick Ellis, Edward Pasquale
- Defense (8): Dillon Simpson, Keegan Lowe, Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear, Ziyat Paigin, Mark Fayne, Ryan Mantha, Ben Betker
- Center (5): Brad Malone, Grayson Downing, Josh Currie, Joe Gambardella, Chad Butcher
- Left Wing (5): Mitch Callahan, Ryan Hamilton, Joey Laleggia, Braden Christoffer, Evan Polei
- Right Wing (6): Anton Slepyshev, Jesse Puljujarvi, Ty Rattie, Patrick Russell, Greg Chase, Dave Gust