SHOOTING STAR

In the two seasons since Todd McLellan and Peter Chiarelli arrived in Edmonton, the AHL affiliate has played a prominent role in the big league team’s success. In 2015-16, the Condors and Oilers employed names like Anton Slepyshev, Jujhar Khaira, Jordan Oesterle, Griffin Reinhart, Laurent Brossoit and Bakersfield saw Leon Draisaitl and Darnell Nurse for a brief period before both men elevated to the NHL to stay. This past season’s names included Jesse Puljujarvi, Dillon Simpson, Matt Benning, Slepyshev & Khaira again, Brossoit again, Anton Lander. That’s a lot of talent spending time on an airplane between Edmonton and California.

We may see even more movement this season. Anton Slepyshev is likely to play opening night (this evening) for the Condors, before coming back to the city and taking his place among the 23-man roster the Oilers will go to war with this season. Leaving Slepyshev aside, there are a baker’s dozen worth of talents we might see flying north this winter.

CONDORS BAKER’S DOZEN, 2017-18

The Bakersfield Condors begin their 68-game schedule this evening. This year’s minor league team carries a lot of hope and some real talent in very important places. There are 13 men I judge worthy of prospect status and maybe a few stragglers who can get back into the game this winter. Here are the 13 players I think we may eventually see in Oilers uniforms, either this season or in the coming years. They are listed in order of potential.

1. R Jesse Puljujarvi. The big man had a good camp with the Oilers but didn’t make the grade. I think Todd McLellan probably wants to see more attention to detail and we’d all like to see the young man fill the net. He remains the best prospect in the system despite landing in Bakersfield.
  2. LD Caleb Jones. I’m pumped to see him play in Bakersfield and to hear progress reports along the way. There’s no hurry for him to get here but a strong rookie performance at the AHL level would give us some indication about his NHL-readiness.
  3. RD Ethan Bear. He’ll have some competition for playing time on RHD this season, with Mark Fayne and Ryan Mantha joining lefties who play RH side like Dillon Simpson. Bear has a nice range of skills and should be able to push his minutes up in all three categories.
  4. LD Ziyat Paigin. My sense is that he’s more likely to be a third pairing defender based on his resume (shutdown D with massive wingspan and matching shot) but that’s a guess and we’ll know more a year from now.
  5. RD Ryan Mantha. He was very impressive in training camp and may get a push ahead of Bear and others this season (he’s a year older). The four blue who begin their AHL careers (basically) together may change spots and I don’t think there’s a Cody Wild in the group. The question is this: Is there more than one Jeff Petry?
  6. G Nick Ellis. He looks like a bona fide prospect and is entering his second pro season. Ellis is No. 3 in the system and that should mean an NHL recall through injuries or slumps. I don’t know that he’s a better prospect than Laurent Brossoit, but I don’t know that he isn’t either.
  7. C Joe Gambardella. A slight disappointment in training camp, that shouldn’t impact his usage in Bakersfield. A late-season audition with the Condors should help him get a head start this season. The Condors play only 68 games, important their top prospects get in as many as possible. Gambardella will need to push through past Kyle Platzer and others if he’s to get that precious playing tie.
  8. R Ty Rattie. Although he washed out of one organization and spent a cup of coffee in a second one, there is a reasonable resume here. Rattie can score goals and that means more chances than your average prospect. Edmonton has several kids in front of him but it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that he sees some NHL time this winter. Maybe he grabs a job.
  9. L Joey Laleggia. A little like Rattie in that the goal-scoring ability makes Laleggia a larger factor in the prospect story. Inexpensive scorers are going to be vital in Edmonton in the coming years. Important for JL to get off to a fast start in order to build on his fantastic finish of one year ago.
  10. LD Dillon Simpson. One of the final players sent out from training camp this fall, Simpson plays a quiet and effective game. He could grab a depth NHL job and hold on to it for some time, but you can say that about a few players on this list.
  11. LD Keegan Lowe. Played well enough to put himself in the mix for recall this season, brings a gritty style and that might give him an edge over some others.
  12. R Patrick Russell. He was a late cut from training camp after making an impression on management. Peter Chiarelli likes these heavy players for his fourth line and Russell’s appeal came into view in the first 10 days of this fall’s camp. He has a chance.
  13. F Mitch Callahan. I would have had him higher before training camp, but Callahan seemed a step behind the rest of the AHL group during training camp. His bio suggests he might be able to fill the 4line role that involves penalty killing and making sure nothing awful happens when that unit is on the ice.

ODDS AND SODS

• Oscar Klefbom’s nine shots on goal are the most by an Oilers defenseman I can recall, but NHL records are sporadic on single game items. I can tell you the record I found was Raymond Bourque with 19 shots against the Quebec Nordiques in March of 1991. Ron Tugnutt stopped all but one on the way to the unlikeliest 3-3 tie in the game’s history. Jim Wiemer had seven shots in the same game, never gets a mention.
  • Of the 19 men who played for Edmonton opening night, seven were Oilers draft selections. Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Darnell Nurse, Oscar Klefbom, Jujhar Khaira and Kailer Yamamoto represent the future of this organization. Only Khaira was chosen outside the first round, although he’ll have company when Anton Slepyshev returns.

JESSE IN CALIFORNIA

• Peter Chiarelli: “It’s about development with Jesse. What I told Jesse is look what happened with Darnell (Nurse), look what happened with Leon (Draisaitl). They were a year ahead of Jesse. He was upset. We had a long meeting.” via Mike Griffith, Bakersfield.com.

I don’t know if JP was as angry as  Leon Draisaitl when he was sent back to Kelowna, but it’s always a good sign when a young man is mad enough to care about something (I am speaking as a parent here). Puljujarvi had a better camp based on all verbal, probably spends enough time in Bakersfield  to have those bonus worries burn off. I expect we’ll see him at some point this season.

FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER

I spent the summer looking for Connor McDavid’s shooter, blissfully unaware the young man decided to solve the problem in house. In Game One of the season, he had seven shots. What’s more, Leon Draisaitl had five and Patrick Maroon three—for a total of 15 on the night. If they could manage that for an entire year, McDavid would have 574 shots and the line over 1200. The record for shots in a single season by one player is Phil Esposito, 550 in 1970-71. Phil played three minute shifts and I’m not lying. McDavid won’t break the record but it’s a cool thing to contemplate.

LINES TODAY

Todd McLellan likes to get his entire team into the swing of things, so that may mean we see Iiro Pakarinen and Yohann Auvitu sooner than later. We’ll get a good look at what the coach is thinking today based on lines and pairings. As a reminder, here’s what we saw in Game One:

• Patrick Maroon—Connor McDavid—Leon Draisaitl
  • Milan Lucic—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Kailer Yamamoto
  • Drake Caggiula—Ryan Strome—Jussi Jokinen
  • Jujhar Khaira—Mark Letestu—Zack Kassian
  • Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
  • Kris Russell—Matt Benning
  • Darnell Nurse—Eric Gryba
  • Cam Talbot (Laurent Brossoit)

Zack Kassian moved into the Yamamoto slot for a few shifts against Calgary, perhaps we see it again in practice today. The Canucks are not (were not) a particularly fast team, so Gryba may stay in the lineup this weekend.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun Friday as we head to the long weekend. It all starts at 10  on TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. Promising starts for the Oilers and Leafs, are they on a collision course? Plus mlb playoffs.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. Frank was in Edmonton for the opener and got some insight into McDavid’s plan for the season (here). We will discuss.
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. A look at the busiest weekend on the sports calendar and what Matt deems most important (I have no idea what his answer will be!). Oil, Esks.
  • Paul Almedia, SSE. Oilers gave the fans a great show opening night, should we expect more on the coast tomorrow night?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

86 Responses to "SHOOTING STAR"

1. OmJo says:

Poor Anton, even when he’s in the KHL he’s still imprisoned by the Oilers. #FreeLander!

2. OriginalPouzar says:

From accounts, management has spoken with the coaching staff in Bakersfield to ensure that the “fab 4” will see significant ice.

We did see this in exhibition which is great as, historically, the organization has had an issue with overplaying non-prospect veterans in the AHL.

I wish their was a material offensive forward to play with Puljijarvi but we just don’t have that.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

As I posted in last night’s thread, I’m interested in seeing the lines at practice today to get a sense if coach will get Pak in the lineup and give Yam the night off.

Kass would likely move up.

Coach may wait until Slep is ready before making such a move.

OriginalPouzar:

Kass would likely move up.

Coach may wait until Slep is ready before making such a move.

5. jonrmcleod says:

I’m tempted to leave the 2017-18 season on a George Costanza high note. It can’t get any better than opening night, can it?

6. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar,

While that’s probably not a very good thing as it makes Puljujarvi’s job a bit harder, I think it’ll make him a better player in the long run if he spends time in the AHL as their top player, their ‘river pusher’ so to speak. I’d think it’ll make his transition to the NHL, playing with better players, a bit easier for him.

Then again I don’t know too much about player development so I could be entirely wrong. Idk.

7. leadfarmer says:

Lowetide: It may behoove young Yamamoto to watch from above, although Vancouver is one of the weaker teams in the first 10. Interesting decision ahead for the coach. Drake Caggiula may also be a candidate to get a push.

8. dustrock says:

I’m still on #50in50Watch until the math doesn’t work.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

I did kind of like the bench deployment in Game 1.

Letestu is going to get his minutes on PK so playing less at ES is a good thing. Spot starting Kassian up the line up for a few shifts here and there to spell an 18 year old in Yamamoto allows Kassian to get significant minutes (16 I believe) even when the rest of his normal linemates are a bit reduced at ES.

I kinda liked it.

It’s likely better to just roll the 4 lines but such deployment has its benefits as well.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

jonrmcleod:

Well, in 2010 we had an absolutely sensational opening night against the flames, complete with one of the most spectacular first goal’s in NHL history (Eberle). The season was indeed downhill after that game.

I posit this season will NOT go down a similar path.

11. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer: If you are not going to play him against a lottery team you might as well just send him down to get comfortable in juniors.

He will indeed go down eventually – could be a couple of days or a couple of weeks – I’m not sure either route will effect his development in any material way.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:
    I’m still on #50in50Watch until the math doesn’t work.

Well, Jagr thinks he could score 100 and Pierre McGuire was positing 82 goals.

A little fanatical dreaming there – first step would be 40 but, yes, 50 wouldn’t be unreasonable – in 50, that’s another story.

13. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Question for my smarter friends:

I watched the first period of Colorado/NYR last night. Colorado went up 2-0. Yak assisted on the first goal (Duchenne), those two have apparently shown good chemistry through pre season.

That said Yak only played 10 minutes, Duchenne a touch over 13. Were they an advanced stats nightmare? Because they were good early by eye.

I can’t stop cheering for Nail Yakupov.

14. khildahl says:

dustrock:
    I’m still on #50in50Watch until the math doesn’t work.

Hell, I’m on #50in39 watch until the math doesn’t work.

15. jonrmcleod says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

I hesitate to reply since it was a question for your “smarter friends,” but Yak did have good Corsi (52%) and Fenwick (55.5%) numbers.

16. geowal says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Question for my smarter friends:

I watched the first period of Colorado/NYR last night.Colorado went up 2-0.Yak assisted on the first goal (Duchenne), those two have apparently shown good chemistry through pre season.

That said Yak only played 10 minutes, Duchenne a touch over 13.Were they an advanced stats nightmare?Because they were good early by eye.

I can’t stop cheering for Nail Yakupov.

As simple as protecting a lead, and that’s not who Colorado goes to? They would have done that so rarely last year, they might not remember what personnel to use…

17. Mr. D. says:

So you think Gryba comes out for fast teams. Fail to see your logic. The #8 damn is faster but can’t play solid defense. Who gets knocked off the puck? Who can win battles? When battling in corners top end speed is not needed. It’s quick reaction time and strength.

18. OmJo says:

jonrmcleod:
    Ca$h-McMoney!,

I hesitate to reply since it was a question for your “smarter friends,” but Yak did have good Corsi (52%)and Fenwick (55.5%) numbers.

Was wondering about that last night too, thanks!

19. Hilmar says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Question for my smarter friends:

I can’t stop cheering for Nail Yakupov.

There were a ton of penalties in that game. I only watched it sporadically, but it seemed like there were few extended 5×4’s, and if you’re on PP2, you’re going to lose minutes.

Yak seemed fine in the PP time that he got, disappeared a bit at 5×5 at times and showed some glimpses of brilliance.

20. geowal says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Flipped through a Denver post article, only this: “Duchene put a rebound in beside the crease after linemate Nail Yakupov made a nice pass to the point to new defenseman Patrik Nemeth, who put a shot on net. ”

It might be as simple as being with duchesne (I assume he has pretty long sideburns)

21. jm363561 says:

22. Woogie63 says:

That Drake is going to need to push the river on LT’s third line.

23. jm363561 says:

Woogie63:
    That Drake is going to need to push the river on LT’s third line.

Some might say it behooves him. Lol.

24. McNuge93 says:

OriginalPouzar: Well, Jagr thinks he could score 100 and Pierre McGuire was positing 82 goals.

My math says 3 x 82 equals 246

25. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2017-18 season!

Here’s how you play: Pick the exact number of points you think the Oilers will have at the end of the season.

Then, after the usual training camp hypejobs stop and the real NHL starts, Oilers usually lose 2-3 defencemen and spent the rest of the season chasing/debating the lottery. And what better way is there to enjoy those pointless, meaningless games than The Hunter1909 Official Oilers Death March(TM)?

It’s easy! New and Experienced players welcome!

26. Odd McSmellin says:

Woogie63,

Woogie63,

I like Drake but I can think of one or two names that would fall before him on the Oilers cloning list.

27. stush18 says:

I’m serious guys.

Lucic-nuge-kassian reminded me of lucic-krejci-Horton

We need to get lucic-nuge going, especially if Leon is playing with mcdavid.

Also, I know it’s early, but I’ve been souring on caguilla a bit. I wonder if he won’t be the guy that eventually gets moved. I think it’s down to him and slepyshev, I think khairas ability to play centre has locked him into the fourth line.

28. Mantis says:

Woogie63:
    That Drake is going to need to push the river on LT’s third line.

Double-shifted on the same line! Pretty impressive!

29. OriginalPouzar says:

stush18:
    I’m serious guys.

Lucic-nuge-kassian reminded me of lucic-krejci-Horton

We need to get lucic-nuge going, especially if Leon is playing with mcdavid.

He’s a second year pro – I’m not sure what you expect from this kid on his ELC that would cause you to sour on him.

30. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar:

What’s wrong with Gambardella?

31. Professor Q says:

jm363561: “Behoove” is just fantastic.. if it really is a word. You must be amazing at scrabble.😀 Got to go. It behooves me to spend time with my wife!

It might behoove you to read this, before questioning:

be·hoove
    bəˈho͞ov/
    verbformal

it is a duty or responsibility for someone to do something; it is incumbent on.

“it behooves any coach to study his predecessors”

synonyms: be incumbent on, be obligatory for, be required of, be expected of, be appropriate for

“it behooves me to go”

befit, become, suit

“it ill behooves them to comment”

it is appropriate or suitable; it befits.

“it ill behooves the opposition constantly to decry the sale of arms to friendly countries”

32. RexLibris says:

Terrific as usual, LT.

A couple of things stand out to me.

That Bourque record for shots on goal in the 3-3 Tugnutt tie. He faced so many shots I think they credited the PA guy with a couple. Tugnutt played for the Jets and I still love him as an ex-Oiler partially because of what he survived that night. If the Oilers pumped that many shots at Mike Smith sometime this season I might die from the sheer ecstasy of it.

From what I read in that Saturday Night Fever book on Phil Esposito, his “conditioning” allowed him to take three minute shifts mainly because of how and where he chose to exert himself. I think that was one of the reasons the Hawks moved him out, wasn’t it? A sort of Phil Kessel disease of it’s time.

So, on that note, McDavid didn’t register a significant amount of ice time relative to his norm, against Calgary. If McLellan had run him out there another 4 minutes, I wonder how that might have changed things. When they play in Calgary I suspect he may do just that, though, because Gulutzan is most likely going to try and find some shelter for Monahan and Bennett’s lines.

33. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Re: Luck in hockey.

How much “luck” plays a role in sports results in always a contentious and interesting subject.

This video about what Micheal Mauboussin found on the subject when researching for his book “The Success Equation” is really interesting.

Among the “big 5 sports” (Hockey, Baseball, American Football, Euro-rest-of-the-world-Football and Basketball) Hockey is the most “luck driven” and Basketball is the least.

This matches with other things that I have read on the subject and describes it very well.

Very accessible.

Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=HNlgISa9Giw

34. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Interesting. Not surprised about Hockey, but I am surprised about Basketball. Though my assumption about the lucky nature of basketball shooting likely derives from me being the worlds worst basketball player.

jonrmcleod:

McLellan out-coached him in that game.

But maybe Treliving and Guletzan were just humouring Burke for the opening game and they will be dressing Lazar Jankowski and Kulak instead of some of the leadfooted sloths they did in the first game.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: What’s wrong with Gambardella?

Nothing is wrong with Joe G. but I don’t but him in to the category of “material offensive forward” along the lines of a Lander. He’s a rookie pro as well.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

RexLibris:
    Terrific as usual, LT.

A couple of things stand out to me.

When they are in Calgary, I’m going to assume that Gulutzan will do everything he can to get the Backlund line out there against McDavid.

38. John Chambers says:

I recall a game once where Damphousse had four goals and the commentators (Bruce Buchanan and John Garrett) hinted at someone potentially winning, but I don’t think Vinnie was able to pot a fifth.

In any event, McDavid could’ve had another goal or two last game. Maybe not this year but sometime over the next nine, some lucky shopper …

39. RexLibris says:

OriginalPouzar: When they are in Calgary, I’m going to assume that Gulutzan will do everything he can to get the Backland line out there against McDavid.

Presumably, yes, but Backlund has averaged 13 minutes a game the last two seasons (working off data from Hockey-Reference), If McDavid plays 20+ minutes, that either taxes Backlund or forces another supplementary matchup.

That’s the advantage I believe McLellan hopes to take into an away-game lineup situation.

*Edit – correction, those Backlund numbers were my math, the Average TOI given by Hockey-Reference further down says he’s covering over 19 minutes a night. In that case, Backlund will likely be tied to McDavid’s hip all night. 2nd and 3rd line wingers should expect to see 97 on their line on the fly in those situations.

40. speeds says:

I’m not expecting McLellan to break up the top line after last game, but for argument’s sake, would a game vs. VCR, on the road, be a pretty ideal place to test drive Draisaitl at C?

41. Chachi says:

speeds:

42. doritogrande says:

FWIW, the third member of that Wild/Petry cluster started opening night for the Caps last night. 142 games and counting for Chorney now. Guy really is dedicated to have come back after what amounts to four complete AHL seasons and has found a depth NHL role in Washington.

43. N64 says:

Vegas D trade watch update

11-9-3 is moving to 12-9-2 with G Pickard on waivers to clear room to recall C Shipachyov.

Still one more D to trade or waive.

44. speeds says:

Chachi: Do you mean C on his own line away from McDavid? He played C all game against Calgary.

I was meaning away from McDavid moreso than which position.

45. N64 says:

John Chambers:

Just wait until he gets 4 goals and the 5th is waived off. Much harder than explaining it to Perry.

46. OriginalPouzar says:

47. Chachi says:

speeds: I was meaning away from McDavid moreso than which position.

Gotcha

48. OriginalPouzar says:

doritogrande:

Chorney?

49. Chachi says:

OriginalPouzar: He took all the faceoffs McDavid generally played the center position post-draw (although they trade off depending on who is first back, etc.) – I believe.

Yes, after the faceoff the position they all seem to play is “forward” with lots of switching up based on situation.

50. HT Joe says:

John Chambers: Has anyone ever won the Safeway Score and Win where if an Oilers player scores five (5!) goals in a game a lucky shopper will win a million dollars?

I was thinking it was during Sam Gagner’s 8 point night, but a quick Google check proved me wrong (Sam had 4G, 4A that game)…

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Sounds like Kassian was taking some shifts up with Lucic on Nuge on the 2nd line at practice today and Pak was taking some shifts on the 4th line today.

We’ll have to wait until tomorrow, I’m sure, but there seems to be a chance that Yamamoto gets the night off.

52. vinotintazo says:

caggiula is there twice on the 3rd line

53. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! Esposito was still something when I was a kid, past his prime but still potting something like 30 goals a season in the late 70’s. Your comment about his three minute shifts made me laugh:

– He would take such long shifts that he’d get tired, coast around, catch his second breath, and sometimes third or forth on a shift.

– I have this vivid memory of him taking a knee after a play, to catch breath, and play continued, then he got up and glided back to the other zone, way behind eveyrone. I remember this, becasue it’s when I was just starting to play serious hockey, and our rep coach was all about short shifts. I asked him about the time Phil Esposito took a knee on the game I saw, and coach just gave me the death stare. I didn’t take any long shifts!

– Ah Tugnett: I was a student at Universite Laval in Quebec City at the the time. Man were the Nordiques such a beloved but awful team. I can remember the french commentator, on that game: “et encore Tugnutt, c’est pas vrai…”

– Guy Lafleur played on that team, I thought he was old as dirt, but looking back he was at least 5 years younger than I am now…It was special to see him play: a legend from those great Hab teams of the 70’s: he retired, then came back. It really was like watching a legend, and I saw him live

– Guy didn’t suck either at that point, he wasn’t just a ceremonial player. Maybe like getting to see Howe late in his career, when he played his last year in the NHL, after a 7 or 8 year hiatus from the NHL (Howe had 41 points, 15 goals at the age of 51 with Hartford, played every one of the 80 games: I know that stat off by heart: just crazy)

54. zatch says:

The craziest thing about Tugger was he had ANOTHER game with 70 saves, in a 2-1 5OT loss to Philly in I THINK 01? He’s pretty damn beloved here in Ottawa. I was a playoff game where he was in the crowd, the PA introduced him and they went nuts.

55. Woogie63 says:

godot10: The Calgary coach with the dementor doo made a lot of dumb roster decisions and was got napping on the bench with his knuckle draggers on the ice at the same time as McDavid.

McLellan out-coached him in that game.

Truth…
    With 3:10 left in the game. Calgary was losing 0-2. The Johnny Hockey line only got on the ice once.
    That coach had a TV time-out and team time out to play with. That line could have played 2+ minutes but he rolled the lines and his top line played a one 40 ish shift..

56. OriginalPouzar says:

Wells was named one of the OHL stars of the night last night with his 46 save performance.

57. who says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – Great post LT!Esposito was still something when I was a kid, past his prime but still potting something like 30 goals a season in the late 70’s.Your comment about his three minute shifts made me laugh:

– He was still potting something like 30 goals a season.He would take such long shifts that he’d get tired, coast around, catch his second breath, and sometimes third or forth on a shift.

– I have this vivid memory of him taking a knee after a play, to catch breath, and play continued, then he got up and glided back to the other zone, way behind eveyrone.I remember this, becasue it’s when I was just starting to play serious hockey, and our rep coach was all about short shifts.I asked him about the time Phil Esposito took a knee on the game I saw, and coach just gave me the death stare.I didn’t take any long shifts!

– Ah Tugnett: I was a student at Universite Laval in Quebec City at the the time.Man were the Nordiques such a beloved but awful team.I can remember the french commentator, on that game: “et encore Tugnutt, c’est pas vrai…”

– Guy Lafleur played on that team, I thought he was old as dirt, but looking back he was at least 5 years younger than I am now…It was special to see him play: a legend from those great Hab teams of the 70’s: he retired, then came back.It really was like watching a legend, and I saw him live

– Guy didn’t suck either at that point, he wasn’t just a ceremonial player.Maybe like getting to see Howe late in his career, when he played his last year in the NHL, after a 7 or 8 year hiatus from the NHL (Howe had 41 points, 15 goals at the age of 51 with Hartford, played every one of the 80 games: I know that stat off by heart: just crazy)

I remember some of those 2 and 3 minute shifts by Esposito. Looks funny when you watch one of those old games now, but it was standard for him, and other stars, at the time.
    Lafleur was the same way. He would float around doing nothing for lonnnnnng shifts and then pounce when he got the opportunity. Maybe Eberle should have played in the 70’s.

58. Thinker says:

dustrock:
    I’m still on #50in50Watch until the math doesn’t work.

I’m on the 50 in 17 train.

59. khildahl says:

Woogie63: Truth…
    With 3:10 left in the game.Calgary was losing 0-2.The Johnny Hockey line only got on the ice once.
    That coach had a TV time-out and team time out to play with.That line could have played 2+ minutes but he rolled the lines and his top line played a one 40 ish shift..

To be fair, it’s not like that line was doing anything to help.

60. N64 says:

Thinker: I’m on the 50 in 17 train.

Better odds than Hartman’s 100 pts in 20 train.

61. who says:

I remember Howe playing at 51 and I remember thinking it seemed almost gimmicky. He was probably good enough still to play 3rd or 4th line minutes, which is quite an accomplishment, but there were probably lots of young players in the minors who could have given the same production.
    Same situation exists with Jagr today.

62. N64 says:

khildahl: To be fair, it’s not like that line was doing anything to help.

Well G1 certainly excited Flames fans. Just not in the right direction.

63. N64 says:

The G1 heatmap is a wondrous graphic. Just one quibble. Why do they put team logos in the offensive side of the ice? The hot ball looks like it is front of the Oil net.

64. Professor Q says:

who:
    Same situation exists with Jagr today.

At least Jagr admits as much. He is a hurt unit today after practice.

65. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar: Caggulia was fantastic last game – he’s was buzz-saw – 8 hits I think. He’s also good on the PK.

Weak on the puck, more turnovers.

I agree he’s a buzzsaw. But I’m not a fan of players who are described as buzzsaws. These guys seem to bbe giving there all, skating the fastest, hitting everything, and at the end of he game, they didn’t accomplish much. You just noticed them cuz they’re “working hard”

What did he accomplish other than his 8 hits? (Which I am having trouble remembering. Seems generous).

I just never felt like he has been substaining pressure. All preseason he created off the rush, and he’s been on the wrong end of a few turnovers.

66. N64 says:

Chachi: Surprising given that the Australian Ice Hockey team is undefeated.

Undefeated since when?

67. OriginalPouzar says:

khildahl: To be fair, it’s not like that line was doing anything to help.

The flames’ 1st line is so inferior that they weren’t able to slow down the Oilers’ 1st line at all and, at the same time, because they couldn’t slow down the Oilers’ first line, the flames 1st line was essentially rendered useless offensively.

68. Chachi says:

N64: Undefeated since when?

You might want to watch the youtube video I posted.

69. OriginalPouzar says:

stush18: Weak on the puck, more turnovers.

OriginalPouzar: McLellan did a great job of matching the Oilers’ 1st line against the flames’ 1st line.

McDavid didn’t get his goals against that line. He got all his goals against Hamonic/Brodie with two of those against Bennett’s line, and I believe one against he 4th line.

A good coach should have be able to match either his shutdown line (Backlund) or his best D-pair (Giordano/Hamilton) against McDavid, even on the road. One should be able to get one or the other.

It is sort of ridiculous to have Bennett (Brouwer and Versteeg) out against McDavid and Draisaitl without Giordano/Hamilton.

Guletzan was just horrid in his matchup game in the opener. Dressing 2/3rds of that 4th line was just silly when you have Lazar and Jankowski.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

I never said he scored against the flames top line, I said he was generally matched against that line and, when he was matched against that line, the Oilers were dominant while, at the same time, taking the flames top line out of the game.

This was in response to the post re: the flames top line not doing anything and the main point of my post was that they were matched up against the Oilers’ top line for material portions of the game which was a reason why they weren’t able to generate offence.

72. Woogie63 says:

khildahl: To be fair, it’s not like that line was doing anything to help.

Correct. However I do think the coach’s role is to put players on the ice that gives them the best CHANCE to win. 3 minutes to go and down 2 goals to tie, it seemed amateurish to simple roll his lines.

73. theDjdj says:

hunter1909

Hunter put me down for 103 please!

74. wheatnoil says:

I thought Kassian did well on the 2nd line last game.

Kassian is a guy that seems to do well in the top 6 in short bursts. He can’t keep it up but he’s got speed, can make and take a pass, and when he’s on and focused he does a splendid job. I think he’s best served as a guy who plays in your bottom 6 but pops up every now and then for a period or a game or two.

75. OriginalPouzar says:

wheatnoil:
    I thought Kassian did well on the 2nd line last game.

I agree with this 100% and is the reason why I disagree with proposed lines that have Kass in the top 6.

76. N64 says:

N64:
    Vegas D trade watch update

Still one more D to trade or waive.

Pickard cleared waivers and traded to Leafs for Tobias Lindberg, and a 2018 6th round pick. Neal off IR and Shipachyov still parked in the A waiting for 9th D to go

77. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar: While I won’t disagree that he may have lost some battles but I don’t remember these turnovers and he was credited with 0 official giveaways.

Sure. I count battles as takeaways/giveaways. Within reason of course.

This isn’t me trying to slag the player. I think he could become a valuable top nine forward, good on the pk that can slide around the lineup. I just don’t know if he is that right now, and if he isn’t, he can’t be hurting the team defensively, which I kind of feel like he is.

I wanna see the player that was buzzing in the offensive zone with mcdavid. Not the “hit everything” cagguilla that should be on the fourth line.

78. Doug McLachlan says:

speeds:

This.

The “Eggs in One Basket” line-up of Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl was pretty impressive against Calgary in game one. We know it can work when the McDavid defense comes from the back-end and TMac has the last change.

The “Divide and Concur” or “Unicorns!!” set up of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge centering lines 1-2-3 is the option to employ on the road or when the McDavid defense (see Kadri/Kessler) has the opposition using a shadow on 97.

Gosh this is fun.

79. ewarsaba says:

Klef’s game was the 6th in Oilers history. Most recent was actually last season by Klefbom in January againt the Devils.

Klefbom 2017-10-04 v. CGY 9 shots
    Klefbom 2017-01-07 @ NJD 9 shots
    Foster 2010-12-30 v. COL 10 shots
    Souray 2008-12-19 v. ANA 11 shots
    Poti 2000-10-13 v. BUF 9 Shots
    Manson 1992-11-12 v. SJS 9 Shots

Souray the record holder with 11.

Ewarsaba: Except I don’t know if it’s true. Not all of the Paul Coffey games are in their database, Charlie Huddy too.

81. McSorley33 says:

speeds,

*************************************************************************************
    Agreed….Drai needs to drive his own line without McDavid. We know it will look like this in the playoffs…..the more at bats in season without McDavid the better.

Something tells me McDavid will do okay without Drai….

82. Woodguy v2.0 says:

ewarsaba: Games by Oilers defensemen with >= 9 shots: https://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&season_start=1&season_end=-1&rookie=N&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=EDM&is_playoffs=E&group_set=single&series_game_min=1&series_game_max=7&team_game_min=1&team_game_max=84&player_game_min=1&player_game_max=9999&game_type%5B%5D=R&game_type%5B%5D=OT&game_type%5B%5D=SO&pos=D&c4stat=shots&c4comp=gt&c4val=9&order_by=date_game

Klefbom2017-10-04v. CGY9 shots
    Klefbom2017-01-07@ NJD9 shots
    Foster2010-12-30v. COL10 shots
    Souray2008-12-19v. ANA11 shots
    Poti2000-10-13v. BUF9 Shots
    Manson1992-11-12v. SJS9 Shots

Souray the record holder with 11.

Foster had a hard shot and no clue where it was going.

Gave his team mates chin music a little too often iirc

83. Justthestatsman says:

In the olden days I remember Risto Siltanen firing a lot of rubber towards the net too, although most may have missed.

84. OmJo says:

John Chambers:

I feel like since it’s still a thing the answer is no. But it’s become a reality with McDavid on the team, I’m sure Sobeys execs won’t be missing any Oilers games this season lol

85. The Mook says:

who: 15 goals at age 51 is pretty impressive. So is scoring 30 goals a year at the end of your carerr. But those stats aren’t nearly as impressive as they would be now.The late 70’s and 80’s were the golden age of goal scorers in the NHL. The pace of play was slower and the goalies were smaller. 30 goal seasons were kind of the norm for second and even third line players.

There was more scoring back then to be sure, but to say it was the norm for 3rd liners to score 30 in the late 70’s?

77-78 there were 31
    78-79 there were 37

with 17 teams a first line of all 30’s would be 51

79-80 there were 54
    80-81 there were 55 ( Esposito’s last)

with 21 teams a first line of 30’s would be 63