Game Two 2017-18: Oilers at Canucks

Saturdays in October ranged from chilly to beyond severe winter. We lived 17 miles north of Maidstone in an old school house. You drove to the Allan Store from Maidstone—past Silver Lake—and turned left at the store, drove to the first crossing on the north road. That was us. One summer, riding my bike to Allan Store from the house, I encountered hundreds of “bertha armyworms” and they killed a lot of crops around my house.  Dad told me to run over as many as I could with my bike, so I did. Don’t think it helped much, though.

In winter, say 1970, I used to get up early on Saturday mornings. My Dad went to work at Husky about 5, and I would watch the headlights fade before quietly putting on my boots and coat to head outside. We had this incredible outside light, must have been 10 trillion watts, it lit up the night and gave the entire a yard an impressive look. I would take one of my Dad’s saw horses, which was about the size of a net, and put 10 gallon buckets in front to represent the goalie. I was always the Bruins (when my brother would play with me, he got to be the Bruins and I had to be the Habs or Leafs. I went Leafs) and would play for a long time before the sun would come up or Mom would call me in for breakfast.

I can still remember the cool air in my lungs—it can be hard to breathe when the air is that cold—and playing road hockey all alone. Keith Schwartz, our neighbor, would drive by about 7am and yell “he scores” but that was okay because I liked him fine. HNIC was 11 hours away and there was a full day to go. Me? I was running through the lines in my brain and beating the Habs in the SCF. I could tell you what year it was based on Orr’s partner, although Dallas Smith had the job for a few years there. Me, a puck, Sher-wood or Victoriaville stick, and an imagination forged by love of the game, isolation and the fact it was 5am and my feet were frozen. Damned fool if you want the truth. I loved every minute of it.

OILERS IN OCTOBER

• Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-0, goal differential +10
  • Oilers in October 2017: 1-0-0, goal differential +3

One of the key elements to last season’s success was a quick start for Edmonton. By the end of October there was a sense the formula had a chance to work. The stated goal was playoffs and it should be again. Looking past making the postseason would be a ridiculous thing to do.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM OCTOBER

• At home to: Calgary (Expected: 1-0-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • On the road to: Vancouver  (Expected: 1-0-0) (Actual: 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Winnipeg, Ottawa, Carolina (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual: 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Dallas, Washington (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-3-2, 12 points in  10 games
  • Current results: 1-0-0, 2 points after one game

CURRENT STANDINGS

The Oilers are on top and that’s a good thing but the major item is Vegas, baby! James Neal scored twice last night, driving up the eventual price for Edmonton to acquire him at the trade deadline. That was a fun win for the expansion kids, they could be more entertaining than the 1974-75 Washington Capitals.

TONIGHT’S PROJECTED LINEUP

• Patrick Maroon—Connor McDavid—Leon Draisaitl
  • Milan Lucic—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Kailer Yamamoto/Zack Kassian
  • Drake Caggiula—Ryan Strome—Jussi Jokinen
  • Jujhar Khaira—Mark Letestu—Zack Kassian/Iiro Pakarinen
  • Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
  • Kris Russell—Matt Benning
  • Darnell Nurse—Eric Gryba
  • Cam Talbot (Laurent Brossoit)

Based on practice yesterday (Bob verbal) we could see Iiro Pakarinen drawing in and Kailer Yamamoto sitting, but that’s a guess and we’ll know more later in the day. The team will want to see Yamamoto settle in and perhaps running him out there again is the best plan, with Kassian able to slide up from the 4R slot as required.

OILERS FORWARDS 2017-18

• This is the format I plan to use this season. Boxcar numbers are 5×5, I do include 5×4/60 but not the power-play numbers. Corsi For (I’m abandoning Matt Fenwick, again) and Corsi Rel explains itself. I’m using NaturalStatTrick’s high-danger chance number but there was some wobble a year ago so may not continue or could replace.
  • Not much to say early days, beyond McDavid’s insane scoring number and the pure dominance of his line.
  • That McDavid line had 11 high-danger chances according to NST, seems about right.

OILERS DEFENSE 2017-18

• Same format as above.
  • The Klefbom-Larsson pairing was fantastic, Nurse-Gryba did well.
  • Russell-Benning’s numbers did not shine but I liked their game. Oilers Nerd Alert explained it in a brilliant tweet yesterday.
  • I might delete the final column and run something else there. We’ll see.

The Bakersfield Condors outshot the Stockton Heat by a bunch and still lost 4-1. The highlight was Ethan Bear’s first pro goal, assists to Jesse Puljujari and Caleb Jones. The Condors twitter feed is outstanding, and Ryan Holt (pbp guy) offers excellent insight as well. Condors were zero for five on the power play, plenty of talent but the centermen lack offensive acumen as a group. It’s going to be an issue. Finally, that Stockton team is very good. There are a few guys at the NHL level with less talent than men like Mark Jankowski and Andrew Mangiapane. Flames are doing curious things.

PROSPECTS MAKING NEWS

• Stuart Skinner is having a nice start for Lethbridge, 33 stops last night in a 4-1 win. He sits at 5gp, 2.82 .919 this morning.
  • Ostap Safin had another big night for the Saint-John Sea Dogs. He is now 7gp, 3-5-8 on the year.
  • Kirill Maksimov is under suspension currently for the Niagara Ice Dogs but is 5gp, 3-4-7 so far.
  • Filip Berglund is 6gp, 1-3-4 early in his SHL season. His NHLE (early days alert) is 31.7. His team is in action currently and he has one shot on goal.
  • Dylan Wells is 6gp, 3.12 .918 for Peterborough Petes.
  • Bogdan Yakimov is 18gp, 2-2-4 for Neftekhimik (KHL).

492 Responses to "Game Two 2017-18: Oilers at Canucks"

« Older Comments
  1. Gerta Rauss says:

Atta boy Nuge

Let’s tie this up now

2. The Concept JDî says:

Yes… open it up… yes!

3. OmJo says:

Let’s tone down the fancy passes, just a tad shall we?

4. russ99 says:

Come on boys,

Other than Brossoit, we don’t deserve it but it would be a major victory to get the road point.

5. Hockey Project says:

Nurse loves to skate the puck, but man… Takes it nowhere fast.

6. LMHF#1 says:

They’d better be pissed with themselves regardless of result tonight.

These are the games where good teams used to beat the Oilers of the “try hard” vintage.

7. Gerta Rauss says:

Whew

8. Zelepukin says:

Really like this 2nd line. Nuge is one of the biggest, small corner cycle guy and Kass has wheels.

9. OmJo says:

Yeah I had a feeling McDavid would be excited for the new iPhone 8, the most boring iPhone yet.

I need to stop commenting on commercials.

10. BONE207 says:

Prediction time…
    Brossoit holds the fort Oilers tie

11. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Lowetide: I trust you to know the final score.

– yeah that’s just disrespectful imo. I can keep score thanks.

– as soon as I posted that I thought to myself “maybe it’s not clear that I mean that in he next game summary the gf ga for each player on the ice” which was the topic in previous threads

– Again, I can keep score thanks. I can’t keep track of who is on ice for goals scored and against. I think it’s a valuable thing to kn ow because I know that’s what the coaches and players look at when the game is done. They are all handed sheets with this info and others.

12. The Concept JDî says:

Oh for fuck sakes…

13. russ99 says:

Gryba. Jeez. What a poor game.

14. BONE207 says:

Shit penalty

15. OmJo says:

Gryba gets 2 minutes for existing.

Edit: Just saw the replay. Yeah…

16. The Concept JDî says:

I’m sure that ref likes certain types of reach-arounds.

17. LMHF#1 says:

russ99:
    Gryba. Jeez. What a poor game.

He isn’t good enough. Not his fault they insist on playing him.

Kinger_Oil.redux: – yeah that’s just disrespectful imo. I can keep score thanks.

Perhaps we’ll go for a time without graphs.

19. russ99 says:

BONE207:
    Shit penalty

Only because the refs didn’t call the myriad similar plays against our players.

Gryba was cleanly beat, what else is new.

20. BONE207 says:

Tying pp goal coming up

21. russ99 says:

Laurent is money, this is the first time I feel good about our backup goalie since Jussi.

22. digger50 says:

russ99: Only because the refs didn’t call the myriad similar plays against our players.

Gryba was cleanly beat, what else is new.

Poor call by ref. I think Grubs does not get same slack as others.

24. BONE207 says:

Or more fancy passes that do nothing

25. The Concept JDî says:

Wow. LB!

26. LMHF#1 says:

Are they going for the no-look backhand pass record tonight?

Man…

27. OmJo says:

Think it’s safe to say Laurent Brossoit is here, ladies and gentlemen.

28. LMHF#1 says:

Need a timeout.

What is up with this powerplay?

29. BONE207 says:

Lowetide: I’m not sure what you want from me, kinger. It takes about one hour to do the graphs after the game. I use the things that have value to me. If you don’t want that, what would you have me do? I’m not really interested in running the things you value because they exist across the numbers universe.

Perhaps we’ll go for a time without graphs.

LT…you’re great at the mathing…keep up the good work

30. OmJo says:

LMHF#1:
    Are they going for the no-look backhand pass record tonight?

Man…

31. OmJo says:

Eat shit Dorsett!

32. The Concept JDî says:

Dorsie is such a piece of shit. He’ll only fight rookie 1st overalls.

33. LMHF#1 says:

OmJo: They’re being too fancy in the offensive zone. Where have we seen/heard that before?

I’m completely fine with fancy…not okay with stupid.

34. SK Oiler Fan says:

How the F did the Oilers allow Dosett to be a factor tonight?

35. Réal Goudenyéu says:

The oilers not respect the Canucks – you can see it in the shit they keep trying.

They’ll pay the price tonight and if not for bro-swa this game is way out of reach.

36. The Concept JDî says:

They keep trying the fancy plays on the strong side. Baffling.

37. LMHF#1 says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    How the F did the Oilers allow Dosett to be a factor tonight?

Same way they let people do it to them in the playoffs.

Todd doesn’t seem to believe in taking advantage of these guys and getting on their nerves as a strategy. I don’t get it. Nurse should be chopping away at him.

38. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Perhaps we’ll go for a time without graphs.

– I was just making the observation the corsi often isn’t a proxy for what actually happened

– short hand comments can get misconstrued. Your charts are awesome.

– I was just highlighting the discrepancy between the stat you shared vs actual results. Gf ga per player. adds something on a game by game basis for discussion IMO when you do the analysis in those great charts.

– carry on I’ll keep track of the score thanks. And keep doing what your doing!

39. The Concept JDî says:

Game saver by Markstrom spits.

40. russ99 says:

Good chance, let’s get a few more and one may go in.

41. SK Oiler Fan says:

LMHF#1: Same way they let people do it to them in the playoffs.

Meh. If these guys even enter the conversation they’ve done their job. Ignore them

42. OmJo says:

Credit where it’s due, even if he’s a Canuck, Markstrom was solid tonight. Biggest reason why the Canucks are 30s away from winning this game.

43. OmJo says:

Lol that guy and his lady friend just flipped off the camera.

44. Younger Oil says:

I don’t understand how the refs decide when to call penalties.

12 minor penalties called this game, but there would be at least 20 if they called it consistently.

45. StixMalone says:

Vancouver doesn’t look like a team that needs a rebuild. They’ll be fine all year…spits

46. LMHF#1 says:

Well that was one pathetic effort.

Better get that crap outta their system now.

47. Oil2Oilers says:

Klefbom’s shot attempts seem to continue to be high. Long may it continue.

48. russ99 says:

Great game Laurent Brossiot.

Everybody else, watch the damn video.

49. jzed says:

So is the parade cancelled yet?

50. OmJo says:

StixMalone,

Meh, the underdog outperformed the favourite in their home opener. I’d think it’s a common story in the NHL.

They looked good today but if Markstrom doesn’t stand on his head like that this game isn’t ending 3-2 for them.

51. SK Oiler Fan says:

I can see this team will be a PITA for the Oilers this year. As LT says, they have a formula that works now.
    D is going to need help Chia

52. Johnny skid says:

The Concept JDî:
    Dorsie is such a piece of shit. He’ll only fight rookie 1st overalls.

it would behoove you to do a google search on dorsett hockey fights.

53. Gerta Rauss says:

Vancouver played a good game

Lots of room for improvement

54. BONE207 says:

Horvat…Markstrom…Brossoit the stars. Well there goes the 82-0 record

55. Lucinius says:

Well, tonight was a disappointment. Outside of a few players (second line, LB) the Oilers deserved the loss and got it.

56. Réal Goudenyéu says:

StixMalone:

The oilers didn’t take them seriously. The early bad goal didn’t help either it only solidified the oilers “we got this” play.

If Vancouver lets the Sedins walk, they can afford to offer Tavares $12 million per season.

58. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

godot10: Plus/minus is easily available pretty much in real time on NHL.com for every game.

– thanks. Gf-ga isn’t +/- I think you know that.

– be respectful

– if a f is on for 2 goals and also on for one ga that’s more granular than +1.

59. Gerta Rauss says:

LB was solid-impressive tonight

60. The Concept JDî says:

Réal Goudenyéu: The oilers didn’t take them seriously.

It’s okay to admit the other team played well, but you’ve heard that before.

61. Dino says:

Oilers have a tendency to lose to hardworking teams. Oh well.

Who would you guys start on Monday? I would start LB

62. Younger Oil says:

To my eye, the Oilers have one 1st line, and three 3rd lines. They have one top D pair, and two third pairing D pairs.

That’s a big damn problem for a team where this year is their best chance to win a cup.

A team with Connor McDavid on it should not be starving for skill.

63. OmJo says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – thanks. Gf-ga isn’t +/-I think you know that.

– be respectful

– if a f is on for 2 goals and also on for one ga that’s more granular than +1.

And +/- only takes into consideration even strength scoring.

64. Pescador says:

Sloppy play all around, team didn’t show up with their work boots.
    I doubt that will be the case against the jets.
    I have faith in LB,
    The d-core, not so much

65. OmJo says:

Dino:
    Oilers have a tendency to lose to hardworking teams. Oh well.

Who would you guys start on Monday? I would start LB

I’m still going with Talbot. Give him a chance to rebound. He’s still our starter.

66. LadiesloveSmid says:

Lost the ground you gained on Calgary on Wednesday and a game you circle on the calendar as a guaranteed win.

67. who says:

Oilers deserved to lose. Slept walked through the first half of the game. Slow to make decisions, slow to move the puck. No jump.
    Disappointing game for the first line and Benning was bad. Liked the second line though.

68. Dino says:

OmJo,

But what message does that send to LB and others? LB outplayed him significantly and has earned another start.

69. frjohnk says:

It was game 2 of the regular season.

Some players are still shaking out the cobwebs

Canucks were pumped up. First home game and first game for rookie coach.

Oilers took too many “pouliots” that left them shorthanded too much and when they did get a powerplay they did not generate much.

Nice to see LB have a great game.

70. Professor Q says:

Well that didn’t go as expected.

Plus had to deal with Calgarian friends mock me tonight (she’s a Stamps fan over Flames anyway). 😂

71. The Concept JDî says:

Any estimates on the pressure Hrudey’s jacket button is under?

72. The Concept JDî says:

Dino,

One game, where the entire team didn’t fare well, does not write the ticket for your starter. And LB has shown he’s ready to step in, so he shouldn’t be expecting the starter role after game 2.

73. flyfish1168 says:

Next game is Monday against the Jets then they don’t play again till next Saturday. Hopefully they use they work on a speciality teams and faceoffs.

74. digger50 says:

When Connor is put off his game I’d like to see Todd switch up sooner. Kassian to top line and Drai to load up second line.

75. The Concept JDî says:

flyfish1168: Hopefully they use they work on a speciality teams and faceoffs.

Because the long-time faceoff problem will be cured in a week.

76. hags9k says:

To me it looked like we couldn’t match their effort until about halfway through the game but it was already 3-1. We pushed back in which was good, but their goalie played great and we go home empty handed.

Let’s hope getting outworked does not become a habit. The whole “not going to sneak up on anybody anymore thing.”

I’m not sure whether to chalk it up to us taking them lightly, or credit them for playing real hard, a little of both probably.

LB was terrific.

On to the next one. I don’t like VAN’s chances their first game back in EDM.

77. Woodguy v2.0 says:

The shot rate by PP1 was atrocious.

2 shots by in 4:30.

That’s 26.7/60

Last year they were 56/60.

Fancy Dans.

Lollygaggers.

78. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Dino:
    OmJo,

A NHL team starting their starter who set a the team record in wins last year over the backup doesn’t send much of a message about anything imo.

79. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: A NHL team starting their starter who set athe team record in wins last year over the backup doesn’t send much of a message about anything imo.

This is not a discussion.

Let’s beat a Jets team that will come in royally pissed off on Monday.

80. Dino says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I’m not saying never start him again. I know talbot is the starter and a good one too however LB was the best Oiler tonight and earned another start. But I’m not the coach obviously. Just my opinion.

81. Nailer Yakumoto says:

McDavid now on pace for 123 goals.

82. Thinker says:

Won the shot battle, but thought we looked pretty shitty.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

Well, that was a disappointing game last night – I’m not all that surprises but definitively disappointed.

I don’t understand how a player can go from putting himself in the same sentence as the all-time greats in one game to absolutely terrible in the next game. That was the worst game I’ve ever seen McDavid play.

Benning, Russell and McDavid were the worst players on the ice. Gryba and Klefbom were not much better.

The only positives for me:

– 2nd line was OK – Nuge was pretty good and Kassian and Lucic actually had decently good games

– Brossoit was sensational

– Larsson had an OK game

– Nurse – lots of not so good plays but he was at least involved and in to the game – he skated miles – if only he had any knowhow of what to do offensively.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

Talbot 100% starts on Monday – he’s our Vezina vote received starting goaltender and he’s earned the right to get the next start after a bad one.

Not to mention, we have 4 full days off after the next game and we do not want Talbot to have a week between games – even if he was coming off a win let alone to stew on a bad game.

This isn’t even a question in my mind.

85. Professor Q says:

Nailer Yakumoto:
    McDavid now on pace for 123 goals.

And Ovechkin on pace for 287!

86. OriginalPouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Hence the problem – the thought that the game is a “guaranteed win”.

That was the verbal from the fan-base, the MSM, the bloggers, etc. – “why sit Yamamoto against such a pathetic team” and similar type statements.

This was the definition of a trap game.

Oilers thought they could just go through the motions and win handily.

They aren’t that good.

There isn’t a single team in the national hockey league that can’t kick our asses on any given night if we don’t have our heads in the game.

Hopefully they learned that lesson tonight and I’m disappointed (although not surprised) that its a lesson that needed to be taught.

87. flyfish1168 says:

The Concept JDî: Because the long-time faceoff problem will be cured in a week.

Winning a faceoff isn’t about just the person taking the faceoff. Wingers winning battles and position to retrieve.

88. Craig The Keg says:

A lot of people not liking Benning’s game last night, but I thought he got better as the game went on. He got burned by Horvat on that PPG but seemed learned from his mistake and didn’t get beat again after that.
    I liked the second line last night too. Kassian plays high energy hockey.
    Oilers best player was LB no question.

89. magisterrex says:

Tough game to watch.

Looked like they thought they could play the Pretty Passing game and walk out with padded stats and 2 points.

Instead they will be enjoying a Thanksgiving video review with the coaching staff.

90. admiralmark says:

1) Gryba is not an NHL D man and is a terrible choice for Nurse’s develpment. It’s hurting him seriously.
    2) Russell has all the try in the world which is great. But is truly a 3rd pairing D. This is bad for Benning’s development.
    3) Talbot let in 1 terrible goal.
    4) RNH, Kassian, and Broissoit were fantastic.
    5) I hate to say it and i’m not gonna hate on the guy but Lucic is going to be a major anchor for this team, if he isnt already.
    6) They need to find a way to have Drai as 2C and McDavid as 1C. They will never go far with these 2 on the same lines… as much as they are good together. Offence from 1 line gets you nowhere.
    7) Other team brought their A game. Edmonton brought their C game.

Having said all that it’s 1 game. I’m not freaking out about it. But the weaknesses that many of us have harped on all summer still exist. The D is not good enough. And theres 1 scoring line each night. Move RNH up with McD and Drai to 2C, bring in a shoot 1st winger, something is going to have to give.

I await Sir LT to talk some of us fans off the ledge this am. 🙂

admiralmark:

After the mistake of signing Russell for more than one season, Nurse should be with Larsson and Benning with Klefbom and the two misfits, Russell and Gryba with each other.

Russell defends by retreating which has to unnerve any young defensemen he plays with. And Gryba’s inability to pass the puck, means Nurse is forced to carry it out more than he should, when he should be learning to pass more.

92. admiralmark says:

godot10: It is not wise to try to develop young defensemen when their partners don’t play like a “normal” defensemen because of their limitations.

Russell defends by retreating which has to unnerve any young defensemen he plays with.And Gryba’s inability to pass the puck, means Nurse is forced to carry it out more than he should, when he should be learning to pass more.

Agree 100%.