AND WE’RE BACK

The Edmonton Oilers are still a young team at their heart and we received a timely reminder of same last night in Vancouver. An early goal by Kris Russell perhaps allowed the team to relax and the game that followed was several miles from ideal. A late power-play marker by Ryan Nugent-Hopkins wasn’t enough to make up for the mistakes and the club finds itself at 1-1-0 in the wink of an eye.

OILERS IN OCTOBER

• Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-0, goal differential +10
  • Oilers in October 2017: 1-1-0, goal differential +2

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM OCTOBER

• At home to: Calgary (Expected: 1-0-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • On the road to: Vancouver  (Expected: 1-0-0) (Actual: 0-1-0)
  • At home to: Winnipeg, Ottawa, Carolina (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual: 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Dallas, Washington (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-3-2, 12 points in  10 games
  • Current results: 1-1-0, 2 points after two games

The Oilers come back home to three games that should deliver (by my estimate) three points. Still basically on track for the month, the difference between the team’s home and road performance appears to be monumental. Usage by Todd McLellan on the road in Game One was also interesting. The Oilers easily won the possession battle (Natrual Stat Trick has it 47-24, 66.2 percent Corsi for 5×5) but the high danger battle (9-8 Vanccouver) told a different story.

For me, last night’s game came down to Connor McDavid’s shadow doing a fine job and mistakes ending up in the back of the net. It was extremely similar to the final preseason game against Vancouver, where the Canucks capitalized on mistakes by a better team. One of the things Corsi often gets blamed for is not delivering the whole story, but we know that no single statistic can possibly paint the entire canvass. Edmonton won the possession battle while losing fairly easy exchanges and that’s all she wrote.

• Lowetide blog, October 17, 2016: It’s possible to have good numbers and get noticed for negative things—single moments and events can have super importance while being exactly single moments and events. Such was the case last night. Source

I wrote that after the club lost an early season game to the Buffalo Sabres, writing “the Edmonton Oilers were going to lose sooner or later, but the Buffalo Sabres were not the team most of us thought would represent the stumble.” The Oilers dressed 22 men and one giant can of vapor lock last night in Vancouver. It isn’t a tragedy, it’s an opportunity missed.

DEFENSE LAST NIGHT

• Kris Russell scored a goal and picked up an assist, that’s the total offense so far by the Oilers’ blue. We’re early days, but the club will need some production from the likes of Klebfom and Benning before we’re through.
  • Klefbom-Larsson went 12-8 Corsi events together 5×5, including (this is Larsson) 8-5 with McDavid and 7-5 with Nuge. Duo went 8-5 against Granlund-Sutter-Dorsett. Klefbom hurried a pass to Kris Russell on the second goal against, I’m inclined to give Russell the blame on that, your mileage may vary.
  • Nurse-Gryba went 13-3 together including 7-1 with McDavid and 6-5 with Nuge. Pairing went 9-1 against the Sutter line, also 7-3 against Burmistrov-Gagner-Virtanen. Nurse can wheel and get the puck out of the zone and is cutting back on his wayward passing (one last night by my count). Gryba got exposed by some of the Canucks speedier forwards but on the night (he played five fewer even minutes than Nurse) the results were quiet with him out there. Nurse also played 3:43 at 5×5 with Larsson, something to observe.
  • Russell-Benning were the highest event pairing of the McLellan era last night and Russell had a moment with Klefbom out there as well. Young Benning lost his man on the first goal, that can’t happen because it’s basically the only job in that moment. Force the forward wide, he checks up, and we all get in formation. That’s not a play that can happen. Russell scored a goal and made a really nice play on the second goal as well, picking up an assist. His dart pass in front of the net for the second goal-against was either extremely unfortunate or careless, doesn’t much matter now. The numbers were far better than game one (9-4 Corsi) but the results were not good. Benning getting 10:38 at evens is a tell. Russell also played 1:37 with Adam Larsson.
  • Cam Talbot handled the third goal poorly, and I don’t think he ever saw the second puck. The first goal I’m inclined to give full blame to Benning on, you don’t see that kind of lapse often. Either way, Talbot is a major factor on this team and if he had some wobble last night let’s remember what he’s done for this team since Christmas 2015.
  • Laurent Brossoit looked very good, made some fantastic saves to keep the team in the game. I’m not sure when he gets his next start but that was an excellent game for the youngster.

FORWARDS LAST NIGHT

• The biggest mystery for me this morning surrounds usage of Leon Draisaitl. It was fairly obvious that Derek Dorsett was having an impact on McDavid’s air, and the screen shots from last night are similar to the Anaheim Ducks series with 97 in the frame. During that series, McLellan checked down Leon to 2C and that line became the feature unit. We didn’t see it last night, and I wonder why. The answer could be the new second line.
  • Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl went 20-6 last night (97-29) including 12-3 against Granlund-Sutter-Dorsett. Lines matched for eight minutes, 6-1 edge in shots and 2-1 edge in HD scoring chances (this is all from Natural Stat Trick). I don’t think there was a reason for McLellan to get away from this matchup (based on numbers) but the penalty against 97 and early struggles allow us to wonder why Leon wasn’t checked down to the second unit.
  • Lucic-Nuge-Kassian looked great from here, going 15-9 in about 10 minutes at 5×5 and 9-4 against the Horvat (No. 1 line) in five minutes of work. All three men scored a point, there seemed to be some chemistry. No one likes to lose, but finding a second line that can push a little is a nice result in and of itself.
  • Caggiula-Strome-Jokinen are a vanilla group so far, but there’s responsibility on the unit and that’s not the worst thing in the world. Went 6-3 together, Strome was 5-0 against Sam Gagner’s trio.
  • Khaira-Letestu-Pakarinen barely skated, going 2-1 together in just over two minutes.
  • Numbers via NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

RAGE IN THE CAGE

I think we’re probably past the rage that used to permeate Saturday night losses, and I do think Todd McLellan is finding out about this team. Peter Chiarelli may also be assessing and that could mean something breaks. There’s good news (Nuge line) and some disappointment (second pair, single moments still an issue) but it was a 3-2 road loss where most numbers favored the road team. This is not the end of the world. I promise.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Ziggy woke me up this morning, had to go out and say hello to the snow. She’s six now, just turned on October 2. Our girl runs a tight castle, so today will be spent making pies, driving kids to work and picking them up, making turkey, eating turkey dinner, followed by the Lowetide family tradition of staring at a wall after Thanksgiving dinner until sleep carries me away.

Ziggy got attacked by another dog about a month ago, Mrs. Lowetide was on a walk and another dog was playing off leash in a park here in the city. She’s okay, but she had some tough times for a couple of weeks. I wanted to go to the park and sit in quiet rage waiting for the dog’s appearance, but Mrs. Lowetide refused to come with me, and would not identify the criminal element after being presented with local dog mugshots. Please leave your dog on a leash. I know your dog is special but so is mine and she’s 15 pounds.

The kids are fine, they are good people. If you encountered them, I think you’d like them fine. My son is continuing his education while applying for part-time work and my daughter has a job somewhere on planet earth (she may read this and I am under strict orders not to reveal anything pertinent. Things like we listen to a lot of Sufjan Stevens in the car and that she’s not sure if she should get a new haircut that includes bangs. I can’t tell you that stuff). Mrs. Lowetide remains the best thing that ever happened to me, the Pips nailed it 45 years ago.

I hope you have everything you want right by your side this Thanksgiving. I’m thankful for this family of mine, for the community I live in, for the policeman and the fireman and the teacher and the plumber in my town. I’m also thankful for 97, the Oilers turning the corner and that you find your way to this little corner of the world, either often or time to time. I don’t know much about the internet, but I do know that friendships can form across thousands of miles because of it. Thanks, Al Gore, you really are a peach.

138 Responses to "AND WE’RE BACK"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

That was a trap game and it played out that way.

They thought it was guaranteed win night and played that way.

Only the. Uge line, Larsson, Nurse and LB were passable.

McDavid, maroon, Benning and Klef were awful.

Disappointing that they needed to learn the lesson that there are no easy wins and anything less than 100% effort against any team is not good enough.

Throw it away and get ready for WIN.

Slepy?

2. wheatnoil says:

That game lacked some of the focus and sharpness of the Calgary game but I honestly thought the process was fine that game. Oilers were transitioning in to the offensive zone reasonably at only a somewhat lower clip than versus Calgary. 35% of zone exits (of any type) by D resulted in a controlled entry for Edmonton. That’s lower than the 42% versus Calgary but much better than many games last year. The Oilers produced shot attempts at a rate of 0.6 per controlled exit, pretty close to the 0.7 they did versus Calgary.

There were sloppy moments, odd bounces, and penalties but the underlying process between the VAN game and the CGY game are not as different as some reaction would warrant, IMO.

wheatnoil:
    That game lacked some of the focus and sharpness of the Calgary game but I honestly thought the process was fine that game. Oilers were transitioning in to the offensive zone reasonably at only a somewhat lower clip than versus Calgary. 35% of zone exits (of any type)by D resulted in a controlled entry for Edmonton. That’s lower than the 42% versus Calgary but much better than many games last year. The Oilers produced shot attempts at a rate of 0.6 per controlled exit, pretty close to the 0.7 they did versus Calgary.

Yes. Midway through the second I fetched my “single moments” quote from the archives and watched the rest of the game in relative calm. You could play that game again and Edmonton wins 3-1. Stuff happens. I did like the Nuge line and I do think Benning’s toi is a tell.

4. dwillms says:

Did Benning sit for part of the 3rd? I remember seeing the pairings mixed up a few times, but wasn’t sure if he got benched or PP/PK threw things out of whack.

5. who says:

Second goal was totally Russells fault. That puck could have gone d to d at the top of the circles. Instead he skated it back to the goal line and then put it in Klefboms feet in the corner. Other than that I thought he had a good game.
    Both of the Horvat goals looked bad on Talbot but Benning and Klefbom got beat on them as well.

6. leadfarmer says:

Benning is yet another reinforcement of defensemen don’t develop in a straight line. Taking a big step back this year. Sekera can’t come back soon enough.

7. wheatnoil says:

dwillms:

I thought things got thrown off by PP/ PK for Benning but could be wrong.

8. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post glimpse LT! I thank you for the family updates: you are able to share your soft soul to us and give a glimpse into your life. Thanks for this

– So the goals for the D: thats the GF GA right?: meaning Klef was on for 2 GA?

– I think its illuminating to provide: when your starting goalie has a SV% of less than 60%: this shows up clearly. The D was pretty good last night: can’t say nuthin’ bout Broissoit

– It’s interesting the in-game experimenting with different D combos…

9. wheatnoil says:

leadfarmer:
    Benning is yet another reinforcement of defensemen don’t develop in a straight line.Taking a big step back this year.Sekera can’t come back soon enough.

I thought Benning was a bit off last game but in G1 I thought he showed pretty well and was the stronger D-man on his pairing. He might well take a step back this year but it seems a bit early to make that call.

10. Richard S.S. says:

I have a sleak, lean two year old Cat which weighs 22 lbs. He is big, but very laided back. Most small does avoid my cat. I could rent him out as protection for your dog.

11. Bar_Qu says:

Happy Thanksgiving LT and all who spent time here. I hope these two days find you surrounded by those you love & plenty of pie (pumpkin or apple, or whatever turns your crank).

Not a great loss last night, but I think a good reminder that success is not just given to any team, no matter the press clippings.

Onward and upward.

12. dwillms says:

wheatnoil: I thought things got thrown off by PP/ PK for Benning but could be wrong.

13. Professor Q says:

Have a good Thanksgiving, Lowetide and Lowetide Family. Thankful for you, and all of you!

Just got up, stuffed a bit, and Aunt’s making pies. At my cousin’s right now; was dog sitting while they were at the Maple Leafs game last night. They were much happier with their result than I was with Edmonton’s…

We’ll head down to my Gram’s soon and it’ll be a big huge family jamboree!

14. fifthcartel says:

I think we have to account for the Kris Russell effect when evaluating Matt Benning. It’s probably a big bump going from third pairing -> top 4, and having Russell as your partner is no help.

This was weird game, but I think it shows they lack depth on forward and defense (with Sekera out). Gryba isn’t a full-time NHL D, and after the first line isn’t much up front.

15. Soup Fascist says:

……so Lowetide’s daughter is NOT an astronaut. Crap, guess I am out of the pool. Happy Turkey Day, LT.

16. PerryK says:

PC, your task is clear! Benning and Gryba need replacing. Benning to 3RD and Gryba (Saloon Door) to the press box.

Benning is not making clear headed good decisions. He seems to be getting caught between either this or that! Puck is bobbling off his stick a lot. Also, on the play that LT is describing, he tried to take the puck off the carrier’s stick instead of angling him with body. He was right there! He wasn’t in a chase mode.

Gryba trying to pinch in the OZone as the puck is coming his way is a total joke. He would be better to back off. New rules also get in the way of his effectiveness in the DZone. Please sit down!

PC, please get us Connor Murphy or Cody Franson from Chicago. They are in a negative cap position. Even you should be able to handle this task!!!

17. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2017-18 season!

Here’s how you play: Pick the exact number of points you think the Oilers will have at the end of the season.

Then, after the usual training camp hype stops and the real NHL starts, Oilers usually lose 2-3 defencemen and spent the rest of the season chasing/debating the lottery. And what better way is there to enjoy those pointless, meaningless games than The Hunter1909 Official Oilers Death March ™?

It’s easy!

New and returning players sign up here!

18. wheatnoil says:

dwillms: Shift chart showed Nurse/Russell had 10 shifts each in the 3rd, Benning/Gryba only 5 each so I think he got bumped down.

I think you’re right. The period started with a penalty and there were a few more so I assumed everything got thrown off, but between the first and second penalty, there was a spot to put Russell/Benning out there but McLellan chose Nurse/Russell. Benning did get bumped.

Weird for pairings in general though because Benning also got out there with Klefbom for a shift.

19. Woogie63 says:

It has become a father/daughter (and this year her boyfriend) traditions to attend the Flames opening night.

Laine and Ehlers are fast and talented, but in their own end it is a train wreck! Both are very soft on the puck and frankly they lose defensive board battles on a consistent basis.

Winnipeg has to play them. We have sent Jesse to work on his board battles in the AHL, I really love the new Oiler management.

20. stephen sheps says:

Ziggy is perfect. I was expecting her to look like that, but still, nice to put the doggy face to the name.

She looks a lot like a dog I used to have (with an ex – the dog was hers and stayed hers in the split). Shih Tzus are such funny, loyal and silly creatures. I never thought I could love a small dog, let alone any animal like I loved mine, but he made my day every morning when I woke up and every evening when I’d come home. He’d see me and do this adorable little spin-dance thing, where it seemed like he was chasing his tail faster than his little stumpy legs would let him, but it was just his way of saying “I missed you, now you’re home!”

I think I need to get a dog.

About the game last night: It seems like every time I am out at my PhD supervisor’s place north of Kingston and the Oilers play the Canucks, it’s always a guaranteed loss. Perhaps it’s because he’s from Vancouver originally. Perhaps it’s pure coincidence. The moral of the story is that it’s my fault and I will accept the blame from the blog this thanksgiving weekend. Sorry, y’all!

The team looked sluggish, tentative and a far cry from the composed, controlled and physical team we saw on Wednesday night. Maybe it was a case of Tabernac Saturday, maybe the Canucks were more prepared, but something seemed off, from deployment (why not move LD down?) to coverage (Benning, you’re better than that! Nurse, maybe you’re less than what we hoped for on draft day; Gryba, you are who we’ve all said you are, for good or for ill).

Bright spots for me included brilliance from LB, who absolutely gave the team a chance to come back, Nuge who needs PP scoring to offset the game flow at ES, and honestly I liked the way Strome played last night. His fight came out of nowhere, and the fact that he wasn’t all that visible isn’t a bad thing. He hasn’t created a lot, but he also hasn’t given up a thing. His line features two smart, tenacious wingers; it’s only a matter of time until they cash and I counted a couple of strong cycle shifts from the trio. The scoring will come.

Thankfully it’s early days. The coach will do what he needs to do to right the ship. Connor never goes long without scoring or producing. Monday vs. the Jets should be a good rebound game, despite the jets having (on paper, at least) a very good defence.

Happy thanksgiving everyone (and columbus day to any American friends here on the blog, as well as happy Sukkot to my fellow Hebrews). Enjoy the time off, the time with families and friends and all the things that come along with the long weekends.

21. deankb says:

Count me as one my friend! Sharks game was fun last night was fun and today I reward 12 yr old Dean with a trip to Oakland Coliseum for the first time. You were right of course, San Fran is incredible

22. who says:

fifthcartel:

23. dustrock says:

Probably will have to put down Finn today. 17 years young, a street fighting dog who we were able to give a peaceful life to. Thanksgiving is always a good time for perspective.

Oilers will win or lose on special teams and the Russell-Benning pairing, that’s been clear from the preseason and continuing early in 2 games here.

24. Silver Streak says:

Soup Fascist:
    ……so Lowetide’s daughter is NOT an astronaut.Crap, guess I am out of the pool. Happy Turkey Day, LT.

Not Yet she isn`t…….

25. OriginalPouzar says:

A nice early season positive is the play of the 2nd line – they look good.

Lucic and Nuge have had two good games and Kass was a good fit with them last game.

I like Kass on the fourth line and spotted up the lineup but I posit that he will stay on the 2nd line next game and maybe Slep takes the 4th line spot for now (if he’s ready).

That’s a pretty deep lineup if that third line can get going a bit.

Perhaps McLellan will want to get Yamamoto back in the lineup on Monday? If not, he should be on his way to Spokane.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Lagesson played over 20 minutes and got an assist this morning – good stuff – loving the minutes played by our D prospects in Sweden.

27. Pouzar says:

Lagesson with his first goal. Played 20:33.

28. verite says:

MacDavid is a horror.
    Put him out against a man like Sutter or Kesler and he disappears.
    This is the new normal. It is disgusting.
    To contribute nothing last night is beyond tolerable.

Again the abject incompetent Chiarelli does nothing.

Time to gut this team.

Find men like Kesler or Sutter,, and maybe this team doesn’t lose games to garbage like the Canucks.

BTW, Gaudureau scored 4 points against Winnipeg. Can MacDavid do as well? No way.

29. verite says:

And in case this wasn’t already mentioned, Dorsett is a man.

Plus the Vancouver defense so vastly superior to the Oiler’s 6 man group.
    No puck carriers.
    Hutton and Steicher are miles ahead of any Oiler prospect or the likes of Benning or Klefbom.
    They can actually carry the puck.

30. stush18 says:

who: Don’t think you can blame Russell for Bennings struggles. To my eye Russell has been solid in both games.

I agree. I thought Russell looked a lot better on the left side so far.

Hard to break up mcdavid/Leon when nuges line is showing some chemistry.

Verite: You are out of the bullpen please try to stay outside. Clean air is best for both of us.

32. Primetime says:

PerryK:
    Also, on the play that LT is describing, he tried to take the puck off the carrier’s stick instead of angling him with body.He was right there!He wasn’t in a chase mode.

Was definitely a mistake by young Benning. The positive is that he appears to be a very quick learner…Horvat tried the exact same play later in game and Benning played it perfectly, ending with Horvat on his butt behind the net.

If makes these mistakes early but learns that quickly, we will be in great shape…especially when he gets bumped back to 3rd pair when Seksy comes back…

33. verite says:

you can’t handle the truth

last night’s game proves the idiocy of Corsi
    who cares if you win that statistic? lousy goaltending , weak willed players and no grit
    Analytics is for losers , Analytics is for losers

to lose a game where Bo Horvat outscores your $12million forward is an abomination

no apparent consequences

34. frjohnk says:

verite: Time to gut this team.

Only 2 games into the season, but with your compelting evidence, Im sold.

We should be looking for more players with grits, no more loosers.

35. Bag of Pucks says:

One element of Scotty Bowman’s genius was the way he got the most out of his top players by giving them an occasional shift on a 3rd or 4th line. Agree that the Nuge line is starting to show some chemistry but why not an extra shift for Connor and Leon on the 3/4 lines on occasion?

The great thing about this is you often find another puzzle piece that works – wow Leon and Strome seem to have chemistry or Letestu and McDavid play well together, for example.

Would like to see a tad more in game experimentation. At least he got the goalie change right, now we know a lilttle bit more about Brossoit.

36. stush18 says:

We all need to compelt on mcdavids Wong.

37. stush18 says:

verite,

Lol just leave

verite:
    you can’t handle the truth

last night’s game proves the idiocy of Corsi
    Analytics is for losers , Analytics is for losers

no apparent consequences

stush18: I agree. I thought Russell looked a lot better on the left side so far.

Hard to break up mcdavid/Leon when nuges line is showing some chemistry.

Why not three scoring lines?

godot10: Why not three scoring lines?

A long time ago when the earth was green….

41. Woodguy v2.0 says:

DFF% for individuals, pairs and lines from last night:

Only 38 minutes of 5v5 play and then you break that down per line and team and we get to some micro samples, but I know some people like to see these:

Name DFF%

Matt Benning 77.2
    Eric Gryba 73.4
    Kris Russell 63.6
    Adam Larsson 48.5
    Oscar Klefbom 44.7

TEAM 62.7

Most common lines and pairs:

Milan Lucic,Zack Kassian,Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 73.6
    Patrick Maroon,Leon Draisaitl,Connor McDavid 61.1
    Jussi Jokinen,Ryan Strome,Drake Caggiula 43.5

Eric Gryba,Darnell Nurse 87.6
    Kris Russell,Matt Benning 74.3
    Adam Larsson,Oscar Klefbom 42.7

Caggiula’s raw number is so much better than his main line due to a little bit of time w/ 97 and a good shift w/ Strome where Pakarinen took Joikenen’s spot.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:
    Lagesson with his first goal. Played 20:33.

Assist, not a goal – quick wrister from the point – rebound was banged in.

43. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: I can handle the truth, can even handle the crazy.If you continue to be abusive, we will proceed without you.

Ref feeding the troll. Please do not.

Verite: back under your bridge please.

44. OriginalPouzar says:

Is he being facetious or trolling or is that his actual opinion?

45. stush18 says:

godot10: Why not three scoring lines?

Sure. I think it requires a bunch of in game adjustments though, because all of the three centremen are going to want ~18-20 min.

Tough to do that without sitting your fourth line.

46. The Concept JDî says:

Lowetide: we will proceed without you.

Obvious troll is obvious. Don’t let that person take advantage of your good-hearted nature.

47. verite says:

Jethro Tull,

Hold overpaid players accountable
    To be schooled by Brendan Sutter and Bo Horvat is what really needs to be confronted

48. OriginalPouzar says:

I wonder if the Oilers are having an off-day today or are practicing?

Perhaps we get news of a Yama assignment to Spokane? If not, I would think he’ll play on Monday but I don’t know how they get him in the lineup unless they take both JJ and Pak out and move Drake to the fourth line with Slep and play Yam on the 3rd.

Does that make sense?

Maroon/McDavid/Drai
    Lucic/Nuge/Kass
    Jokinen/Strome/Yam
    Drake/Letestu/Slep

49. OriginalPouzar says:

I would also think that Auvitu may draw in for Gryba tomorrow but how do you do the pairings without moving Russell to the right side? To me that’s not an option but is also the only option.

They may want Gryba in against WIN for the truculence as well.

OriginalPouzar: Is he being facetious or trolling or is that his actual opinion?

Canucks fan, has some real insight but we’ve long since passed the good times.

51. Jethro Tull says:

verite:
    Jethro Tull,

Hold overpaid players accountable

That’s it. Here come the 3 billy goats gruff.

It’s lucky we’re not held accountable for our post content….

52. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lowetide: A long time ago when the earth was green….

Unicorns for everyone!!!

Come gather ’round coaches
    Wherever you roam
    And admit that the talent
    Around you have grown
    And accept it that soon
    That no line can do it alone
    If your job to you
    Is worth savin’
    Then you better start Sleppy
    Yammy, JP not Strome
    For the times they are a-changin’.

53. Jethro Tull says:

Anyone know how much the Sedins are paid? Verite?

54. dustrock says:

verite:
    you can’t handle the truth

last night’s game proves the idiocy of Corsi
    Analytics is for losers , Analytics is for losers

no apparent consequences

Man I’d excuse this in March at 2 am after too much rye but holy Hannah it’s Game 2. And it’s now the next morning.

Pens had 10 scored on them. Time to dismantle the bums.

Woodguy v2.0: I’ve noticed the MSM narrative about scoring lines across the NHL is now “Top 9” for the most part.

Unicorns for everyone!!!

Come gather ’round coaches
    Wherever you roam
    And admit that the talent
    Around you have grown
    And accept it that soon
    That no line can do it alone
    If your job to you
    Is worth savin’
    Then you better start Sleppy
    Yammy, JPnot Strome
    For the times they are a-changin’.

WHY do you hate Tanner Glass????? That said, that’s some brilliant lyric writing there.

56. Soup Fascist says:

Folks. We weren’t a lock to win the Cup after Game 1. We are not doomed to miss the playoffs after Game 2.

The Oilers could use some tweaks, for sure. But to quote Fictional US President, Andrew Shepherd “let’s try to keep our eyes on the ball, OK?”

57. Bag of Pucks says:

Lowetide: Canucks fan, has some real insight but we’ve long since passed the good times.

Canucks fan with real insight? Seems like the epitome of an oxymoron, no?

I give ’em their due though. Canuck fans are a riot.

58. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: Milan Lucic,Zack Kassian,Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 73.6
    Patrick Maroon,Leon Draisaitl,Connor McDavid 61.1

If Draisaitl is mostly a winger, we need that 2nd line to produce.

Last year, we had 1 elite scoring line and 3 other lines that scored at a 3rd/4th line pace at 5 on 5.

If the Nuge line can score at an actual 2nd line pace, we are headed into the right direction.

Only really a game and a half but I like the looks of Lucic, Nuge and Kassian. I do wonder if we eventually see Sleppy in Kassians spot though.

59. russ99 says:

We scored the early goal and everyone let down thinking it would be easy, and took most of the game to get the edge back against a scrappy team that pressured every possession and beat us to the puck and won the puck battle most of the time.

If it weren’t for Brossoit, it would have been a laugher.

I don’t see any issues on the roster other than Gryba being two steps slow and his potential replacement being a hand grenade in our zone.

They’ll get it back on Monday at home, against a Jets team that really shouldn’t be taken lightly.

If we want to give Yamamoto a good shot before sending him back down, I’d roll:

Maroon – McDavid – Yamamoto
    Lucic – Draisaitl – Strome
    Jokinen – RNH – Kassian
    Caggiula – Letestu – Pakarinen

60. Bag of Pucks says:

Watching the doubleheader last night, I had to admit that the Leaves have a better Top 9 than the Oil. Clearly Edmonton has the better top end talent, but TO can really roll 3 formidable lines.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Cup Final next season was ye olde hometown vs the Centre of the Universe.

61. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: If Draisaitl is mostly a winger, we need that 2nd line to produce.

Only really a game and a half but I like the looks of Lucic, Nuge and Kassian.I do wonder if we eventually see Sleppy in Kassians spot though.

I’d like to see a higher offensive talent on 2RW

I’m not sure that Sleppy is better than Kassian at scoring though.

The future is Yamamoto and JP but this year is kinda up in the air.

I wonder how this would work?

Maroom-McDavid-Sleppy
    Lucic-Draisaitl-Nuge

62. Bag of Pucks says:

Wentz to Ertz is money for our Eagles today, LT. Surprising, the Cards have good safeties but Zach is owning them on that slant.

63. The Concept JDî says:

Aside from LB’s brilliant performance in a supporting role, I thought Russell and Klefbom’s performance of the Smothers Brothers ‘Take It’, deserved a nomination.

64. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy v2.0: I’d like to see a higher offensive talent on 2RW

I’m not sure that Sleppy is better than Kassian at scoring though.

The future is Yamamoto and JP but this year is kinda up in the air.

I wonder how this would work?

Maroom-McDavid-Sleppy
    Lucic-Draisaitl-Nuge

65. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: I wonder how this would work?

Maroom-McDavid-Sleppy
    Lucic-Draisaitl-Nuge

That is 2 lines that will score at a 1st line pace.

EDIT: And if it isnt, there are 3 guys getting way overpaid.

66. russ99 says:

Bag of Pucks: That’s exactly the way TMac should be leaning imo. Move Nuge to the wing. Stack Leon’s line and Connor will still move the needle with lesser talent. The super line approach doesn’t work on the road or in the playoffs. The sooner Todd commits to balance, the better imo, Agree that JP is a lynchpin in this long term.

67. Soup Fascist says:

Woodguy v2.0: I’d like to see a higher offensive talent on 2RW

I’m not sure that Sleppy is better than Kassian at scoring though.

The future is Yamamoto and JP but this year is kinda up in the air.

I wonder how this would work?

Maroom-McDavid-Sleppy
    Lucic-Draisaitl-Nuge

68. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bag of Pucks:

The numbers support you eyeballs.

Last year with Matthews and Marner in their rookie years and Nylander with 22 NHL gp the year before they went:

GF% Matthews On 51.1%
    GF% Matthews Off 51.1%

DFF% Matthews On 52.6%
    DFF% Natthews Off 51.1%

EDM went:

GF% McDavid On 62.1% (“the horror…..the horror…” – Verite)
    GF% McDavid Off 48.9% (“the horror….the horror…”- Woodguy)

DFF% McDavid On 56.8%
    DFF% McDavid Off 50.6%

TOR was top 10 in “Star Off”” metrics last year.

EDM was 17th in GF% and 12th in DFF with McDavid off.

I expect all the TOR rookies to continue to improve as high end teenagers do from year to year.

They might be top 5 Star On/Off this year.

In two games so far they are:

GF% Matthews On 75%
    GF% Matthews Off 66.7%

GF% McDavid On 100%
    GF% McDavid Off 0%

🙂

69. McSorley33 says:

I too wonder if Tmac was surprised by how Vancouver defended McDavid.

Very curious to see how he deploys his centres next game…..as I am sure the rest of the league is.

70. Bag of Pucks says:

russ99: We have three quality centers, why not run them as such, Strome is weaker at center than at wing and would be a better fit as a cycle winger with Lucic and Draisaitl.

My take on this is RNH is more valuable to a Cup contender as an elite scoring winger than a two way C who’s weak on the dot. Basically, it’s an endorsement of Nuge’s talent as I think there’s more offence to be tapped there.

The other thing is I think we need to worry about creating 2 legitimate scoring lines before we start thinking about a third.

71. Woodguy v2.0 says:

As much as I want unicorns, as the roster sits today I would load up the top 2 lines and run them ~17 5v5 minutes each and run 16-55-44 for ~10min 5v5 minutes and Strome’s line ~5min 5v5.

I’d try like hell to have my best players out there the most.

Scoring depth isn’t deep enough on the current roster to spread out 5v5 TOI with all the penalties this year imo.

72. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy v2.0,

TO’s done a helluva job with their rebuild. Hate to say it, but we could be seeing a mini dynasty forming over there.

73. McSorley33 says:

Was the process good last night despite only getting 1 5×5 goal from Kris….?

Sure….okay.

But did the Disneyworld turnstile – Eric Gudbranson – play over 17 minutes……?

Yes he did.

Very curious to see how this 2nd pairing works out for Vancouver.

74. frjohnk says:

Bag of Pucks: TO’s done a helluva job with their rebuild.

Leafs had Oilers template to look at when doing their rebuild. They avoided many of the mistakes Oilers made.

Leafs probably have the best top 9 forwards in the league. D core needs work though

75. McSorley33 says:

Obviously LB was outstanding…….truly.

Too bad we could not tie the game

76. Bag of Pucks says:

frjohnk: Leafs had Oilers template to look at when doing their rebuild.They avoided many of the mistakes Oilers made.

Leafs probably have the best top 9 forwards in the league.D core needs work though

I think one of the similarities they share with the Oil is they’ve invested heavily in the front office. Shanahan, Lou, Dubas, Hunter, Babcock. That’s an impressive brain trust.

77. McSorley33 says:

Loading up the 2nd line is the play, by some margin , imo…..

I nominate WG s line combos….asap.

78. bendelson says:

“Ziggy got attacked by another dog about a month ago…”

If I hear about yet another friend’s/family’s dog, on leash and minding their business, getting attacked/injured/killed by uncontrolled and uber-aggressive off leash dogs, it will be too soon…

It’s Thanksgiving and I’m all wound up now…
    I need to relax and stay focused.
    We are entertaining both sets of parents on this day.
    ___

Thankful Ziggy is alright LT.

Enjoy the day everyone!

79. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Larsson and Nurse also spend just under 4 minutes together and went Adam Larsson,Darnell Nurse 90.0

hmmmm…came sooner than I predicted 😛

EDIT: Don’t you dare JDi

80. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: I do wonder if we eventually see Sleppy in Kassians spot though.

Love da Slep but I don’t touch that line right now.

81. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99:

If it weren’t for Brossoit, it would have been a laugher.

If we want to give Yamamoto a good shot before sending him back down, I’d roll:

Maroon – McDavid – Yamamoto
    Lucic – Draisaitl – Strome
    Jokinen – RNH – Kassian
    Caggiula – Letestu – Pakarinen

I don’t know if Yam is going to play on Monday but I think he would – if not, he should be on his way to Spokane today.

If they do play Yam, I’m not sure if he’d get 1RW but lets say he does for discussion sakes. The only issue I have is not wanting to break up the Lucic/Nuge/Kass line unless Kass is going back to 4RW and, also, unless Slepy is just up to practice and get his NHL salary prior to going back to Cali for their game on Thursday, he should play on Monday.

Assuming Yam on 1RW for discussion:

Maroon/McDavid/Yam
    Lucic/Nuge/Kass
    Jokinen/Drai/Strom
    Cag/Letstu/Slep

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: I’d like to see a higher offensive talent on 2RW

I’m not sure that Sleppy is better than Kassian at scoring though.

The future is Yamamoto and JP but this year is kinda up in the air.

I wonder how this would work?

Maroom-McDavid-Sleppy
    Lucic-Draisaitl-Nuge

He’ll be coveted at the deadline and expensive – if we can’t “solve” this problem internally in the next bit, Chai should be looking at this move prior to December.

83. LadiesloveSmid says:

Talbot should’ve stopped it but Klef played the puck really poorly on that 3rd goal against.

Despite 2 points, thought Russell had a rough game.

Benning got beat bad on the first goal against, but at least learned from his mistake and didn’t let Horvat burn him a 2nd time a period later.

Nurse is wheeling but not necessarily creating much in the way of dangerous chances.

Liked Larsson’s game but the D as a whole was a bit meh IMO

84. OriginalPouzar says:

Bag of Pucks: That’s exactly the way TMac should be leaning imo too. Move Nuge to the wing. Stack Leon’s line and Connor will still move the needle with lesser talent. The super line approach doesn’t work on the road or in the playoffs. The sooner Todd commits to balance, the better imo, Agree that JP is a lynchpin in this long term.

While Leon maybe should take some faceoffs, Nuge should center that line with Drai playing RW.

Nuge should never not be playing center.

85. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Maroom-McDavid-Sleppy
    Lucic-Draisaitl-Nuge

That is very frickin intriguing my WoodFriend.

Pumps life back into Letestu who is good 5on5 with Kass as well.

I like this a lot.

I don’t wanto to write any books on Slepy until he has gotten a fair shake playing with skill. This kid oozes skill and has a hammer.

86. HT Joe says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Woodguy v2.0,

It is painful to admit, but they’re killing it over there. The real test will be how they re-sign their young stars next offseason. I have a lot of buddies who are Leafs fans, and I’m already worried about the gloating… (secretly, I’m happy for them after all these decades)

87. Pouzar says:

The Leafs were never good in my lifetime. I couldn’t care less what they accomplish now. Never understood the hate.

88. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar: The future top 6 RW is definitely Yam and JP but this year it should be James Neal.

If we give up Slepy or something then the Oilers do risk Neal not resigning for less than his current AAV of $5 million.

But hey, if it wins Edmonton the Cup…then yeah.

89. Bag of Pucks says:

Pouzar:

If TO wins the Cup, I’d be one of the first flying over. Would be an amazing party.

90. Pouzar says:

Bag of Pucks: To clarify, the only reason I would ‘hate’ to see the Leaves win a bunch of Cups is that likely means the Oil are not winning them.

91. Bag of Pucks says:

I know one thing: if TO were to finally make the final and then lose to our little team on the prairie led by a wunderkind from Newmarket, they would lose their collective shit.

Payback for them winning a Grey Cup with Ricky Ray? lol

One of these things is not like the other…

92. digger50 says:

Soup Fascist: I would still like to see Drai play the right side on a line with 27-93. The fact he can come in on net like a freight train from the off-wing (Nuge’s shot still seems muffin-like) and is a sublime passer on the backhand means he can do things Nuge will not be able to as a lefty on the RW. Drai would still be the driver on the line, take draws, match up in the D-zone,etc.

I’m with you.

I like Nuge in his natural position and Drai on the wing. Both proven successful in these positions. Put Nuge on wing and now you are faced with the question of Nuge is better 2RW or third line center.?

Run 27 / 93 / 29

If Todd does keep the top line loaded he needs to switch it up sooner when faced with Connor getting nicked of his game. Big winger like Kassian should be bumped up with Connor and Drai back with Nuge.

We need two top lines. We need an okay third line and we need penalty killers.

93. fishman says:

Bag of Pucks: Canucks fan with real insight? Seems like the epitome of an oxymoron, no?

I give ’em their due though. Canuck fans are a riot.

Heavy on the “Moron”

94. frjohnk says:

Pouzar: Love da Slep but I don’t touch that line right now.

Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty 2m2 minutes ago

Looks like Slepyshev on No. 2 RW with RNH and Lucic at practice.

95. The Concept JDî says:

Oilers lines today:
    Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
    Jokinen-Strome-Kassian
    Khaira-Letestu-Yamamoto/Pakarinen

Caggiula absent

I like those lines, save for Yamamoto on 4line.

98. Pescador says:

Pouzar: That is very frickin intriguing my WoodFriend.

Pumps life back into Letestu who is good 5on5 with Kass as well.

I like this a lot.

I agree with you on Sleppy, what struck me the most in the playoffs was how hard he worked every time his skates touched the ice. How can you not love a player who gives you everything he’s got all night long?
    It will be interesting to see if he can regain that form again, especially now that he is starting from behind & coming in off the DL.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

Lines at practice today:

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
    Jokinen-Strome-Kassian
    Khaira-Letestu-Yamamoto/Pakarinen

Drake was absent.

If Yamo isn’t going to play (he won’t be playing on the fourth line), I’m not sure why he’s still here.

I’m fine with a game off but I don’t see the point in him sitting for multiple games – practice time is great but I’d rather he get going with his season.

100. Bag of Pucks says:

Fun article on the Oilers site today about the evolution of the uni.

Connor looks pretty dapper in that Copper n Blue kit. Would love to see them bring that back as a third jersey.

Will confess to having a soft spot for that MacFarlane monstrosity too. My son wore that jersey out when he was a young lad.

101. Pouzar says:

Pescador: I agree with you on Sleppy, what struck me the most in the playoffswas how hard he worked every time his skates touched the ice. How can you not love a player who gives you everything he’s got all night long?

I loved his effort as well. Seemed to be balls out all the time.

Coming off the DL I would have started him on line 3 and left the top 2 as is for now.

102. slopitch says:

Oilers were ok last night. It’s a long season. I ain’t worried. Build for the deadline.

Strome is annoying me like Eberle did last year. I’ve become a fan of Chai’s concept of heavy stick. Nuge looks good between 44 and 27.

Happy thanksgiving all!

103. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: Would he be a first and…minor prospect for a rental who’d have to waive his NTC?

But hey, if it wins Edmonton the Cup…then yeah.

I’m looking at Neal as a pure rental and not as a player that would realistically be re-signed.

I don’t know what the acquisition cost would be but, if we are looking at the cup this year, this is the type of move to be looked at.

Of course, 2RD is a bigger issue at this point.

104. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: I like those lines, save for Yamamoto on 4line.

I was fine with him watching last night but two in a row?

There is value in practice with the big club but, unless he’s going to play games, lets let him get on with his season in Spokane. They play again on Tuesday (after playing today).

105. pts2pndr says:

LT
    I think that Edmonton ran into a very well prepared Canucks team that had watched the Oiler power play, break outs etc against Calgary and took full advantage of their time to work out a plan. This is unlikely to happen durring the season as time won’t allow it!

About a year ago while walking my Chessy Lab cross on leash I had a very large pit bull mastive cross come running at us. I stepped between the snarling beast and my dog thinking this would not end well. A younger lady, the dogs owner, came around the corner quite unconcerned and said to me I believe it is best to let the dogs work it out for themselves! Having regained my composure I replied that I was ok with that but only on the condition that whatever her dog did to mine I would do to her! The blood drained out of her face,she leashed her dog quite quickly and departed post haste!

106. OriginalPouzar says:

Sounds like Drake is day to day with an undisclosed injury.

Slepy is likely to play tomorrow.

Sounds like JJ was the extra forward at practice – maybe we will see a Letestu-Pakarinan-Yamamoto line tomorrow night which would be quite odd from where I sit.

107. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t imagine Yamamoto would get game time on the fourth line which means to me we are looking at him watching again.

I was fine with him watching last night but two in a row?

There is value in practice with the big club but, unless he’s going to play games, lets let him get on with his season in Spokane.They play again on Tuesday (after playing today).

Really though, what are we waiting for with him?

It’s basically a waiting game until he grows and becomes more physically mature. I don’t think practising against men is detrimental to him at all.

If we go more than a week between playing games, then I would start worrying. But for him now, it’s physical maturity and playing with a pro pace.

Sending him down to dominate his juniors after he did it last year doesn’t seem critical imo

108. OriginalPouzar says:

Its looking like Kailer might play tomorrow albeit with Letestu and Pak.

Not official but practice today sounds like its trending that way.

I believe there is value with Kailer being around the big club for a little while even if he’s not playing many games, however, after a bit, he needs to play games and minutes and junior is the place to do that.

He was somewhat dominant last year but there is much to gain from going back and being the man and potentially going on a run to win the WHL and then on the Memorial Cup – Spokane is 4-2 without him so I imagine they are a top tier team with him.

Not to mention, a prominent role in Buffalo for the WJHC.

109. Bag of Pucks says:

pts2pndr Having regained my composure I replied that I was ok with that but only on the condition that whatever her dog did to mine I would do to her!

Long story short, we are now married with three beautiful children…😏

110. speeds says:

With EDM having only 2 gp in the next 9 days, think theyll demote Yamamoto soon if hes not playing vs. wpg?

111. The Concept JDî says:

I keep our smaller dog on a leash most times at the off-leash park, and when other dogs run up to greet us I make sure I’m out in front and am the one they greet first.

I think this sends a message to them that I’m in charge here, and it gives me a good look at them to determine their intent. I’ve never seen or heard of any event like Ziggy experienced in the 10+ yrs we’ve had a dog.

To demand all dogs stay on a leash at the OLP seems pretty reactionary to me. They get more exercise and their buttssmelt/60 is off the charts when they roam on their own.

Good to hear that Zigs is okay, and that’s a great dog name too.

112. Pouzar says:

speeds:

I think they have a definite plan in mind….at least that’s what I hope.

113. Ryan says:

Pouzar: I think they have a definite plan in mind….at least that’s what I hope.

Ha. We know the plan. Clog the 50 man with Kelly x 1m after they sent down hello Moto.

The Concept JDî:

Good to hear that Zigs is okay, and that’s a great dog name too.

Great points all. It wasn’t an off leash park.

115. Pescador says:

The Concept JDî:

Good to hear that Zigs is okay, and that’s a great dog name too.

Any dog that sniffs my butt will discover the true meaning of ‘bad intentions’

116. who says:

OriginalPouzar:
    A nice early season positive is the play of the 2nd line – they look good.

That’s a pretty deep lineup if that third line can get going a bit.

Perhaps McLellan will want to get Yamamoto back in the lineup on Monday?If not, he should be on his way to Spokane.

I have heard people say you shouldn’t play Kassian on a skill line because he will lose his aggressiveness. I don’t buy it. That sounds a lot like Don Cherry thinking to me.

117. lynn says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Sounds like Drake is day to day with an undisclosed injury.

Slepy is likely to play tomorrow.

118. OriginalPouzar says:

who: You keep saying you prefer Kassian on the fourth line and I don’t know why. If he is the second best right winger on the team, and he has been for a while now, why would you want to play him on the fourth line? Why limit his ice time with skilled players?
    I have heard people say you shouldn’t play Kassian on a skill line because he will lose his aggressiveness. I don’t buy it. That sounds a lot like Don Cherrythinking to me.

I prefer him on the fourth line because, one, as you said, I t believe he will lose his aggressiveness and pure energy providing play (and I think we saw that last night), and, two, the fourth line becomes a very ineffective line without him, again, as we saw last night.

With Slepy back, that provides more options up the lineup as well.

I was fine with him on the 2nd line last night but it looks like he’s playing 3RW tomorrow so he’s being moved all around which, I guess, is fine.

I believe our fourth line will again be in the 5 min ES range tomorrow night unless we get a big lead – that’s not ideal to me – I think a fourth line that can play a regular shift and allows the coach to roll four lines has value.

119. OriginalPouzar says:

lynn: Is Jujhar Khaira in Todd McLellan’s doghouse only after two games? Maybe it is less than two games; he played only 5 minutes last night.

I’m not sure dog-house is the right word but that line was ineffective last night and we were chasing the game and in need of goals.

JJ is still establishing himself as an every day NHL player and, frankly, since his play early in camp, he has got less effective as time has gone on – less effective later in camp and even less effective since the season started.

He needs to play but he definitely isn’t immune to some press box time, that’s for sure.

120. rickithebear says:

Slepyshev 6’2″ 221lb (2.98lb/in)
    2 u18 WJC
    2011 beat canada in bronze medal game.
    2012 5 th place finish
    2 u20 wjc
    2013 beat canada in bronze medal game.
    2014 captained russia who beat canada in bronze medal game.

1 st overall pick in KHL draft.

One of the rare u19 .20+ gpg forwards rsl/khl
    Kovalchuk
    Frolov
    Ovechkin
    Malkin
    Tarasenko
    Kuznetsov
    Xxxx
    Slepyshev
    Yakimov
    Yakupov

One of the oilers better open hole shot forwards

PC type forward:
    Size
    Speed
    Heavy shot
    Elit targeting
    Strong retrieval
    Defends NZ, DZ
    Young
    Cheap contract.

121. BONE207 says:

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!
    Great story LT. Thanks for sharing. Good to see that your tube tv is functioning well & that the vcr is flashing “1200”.
    Verite…stick to root beer. Whiskey is not for you

122. rickithebear says:

Every line needs a forward who can generate speed.
    Or an above average pair of forwards.

Maroon 6’3″ 225lb (3.00lb/in)
    Mcdavid 6’1″ 195lb (2.67lb/in) fastest
    Draisatl 6,2″ 215lb (2,91lb/in) better than avg fast

Lucic 6’3″ 235lb (3.13lb/in)
    RNH 6’0″ 192lb (2.67lb/in)
    Slepyshev 6’2″ 221lb (2.99lb/in) well above avg skater

Jokinene 6’0″ 191lb (2.65lb/in) top 40 pk and strong fo%
    Strome 6’1″ 204lb (2.80lb/in)
    Kassian 6,3″ 209lb (2.79lb/in) high end speed top 50 Pk forward

Cagulia top 10 pk forward
    Letestu top end ppg fwd, top 60 pk forward; above avg fo%
    Pakarinen 6’2″ 212 lb (2.87lb/in) top 40 pk forward

Khaira
    Yamamoto

123. who says:

OriginalPouzar: While Kass played a good game yesterday, I wouldn’t say he was as aggressive as he generally is and in a game where physicality and energy was needed.

With Slepy back, that provides more options up the lineup as well.

Don’t buy the narrative that his game changes as he moves up the lineup.

124. rickithebear says:

we know from last 2 years the best wowy are
    Maroon- mcdavid
    Mcdavid- draisatl
    Draisatl- slepyshev
    Lucic- puljujarvi
    Khaira-RNH
    Cagguila-kassian

What lines would you create to have one pair on each line while maitaining speed on each.

For me, the big issue is PK. Khaira has to be able to do it and he did quite a bit in the AHL. Can he help there? If not, he’s going to be in tough to play on the 4line this season.

126. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

rickithebear,

This may be your best bullet point post to date. It’s full of readable details, with plenty of info to be gleaned.

Thanks for that.

Can you post up more details on your open/closed hole shot theory please? I feel like it’s valuable but haven’t sussed out the gist of it just yet.

127. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

rickithebear,

Using your formula:

maroon – cmd – jokinen
    lucic – drai – sleppy
    jk – nuge – strome
    caggs – letestu – kassian

128. OriginalPouzar says:

who: I agree he makes the fourth line better but is it more important to improve a line that plays 10 minutes a night or one that plays 15 to 20. I would worry about the second line before I got too worked up about the fourth.
    Don’t buy the narrative that his game changes as he moves up the lineup.

I don’t disagree, I see pros/cons to both approaches.

Tomorrow night we get Slep back to help the 2nd line so it looks like they are using Kass to bolster the 3rd line (to the extent Drake isn’t available, maybe even if he is).

Personally, I like him bolstering the fouth line as he makes it a line that can actually take a regular shift from one that is more of a 5 min line (as we saw last night).

We will disagree that he does/does not change his game up the lineup but I think we’ve seen evidence of it already.

129. who says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t disagree, I see pros/cons to both approaches.

I think in theory, in a cap world, your 4th line probably shouldn’t play more than 5 even strength minutes. Give the ice time to the guys making the big bucks. More bang for your buck. This assumes your mostly expensive players are your best players.
    Really Kassian is making too much to be playing 4th line minutes on the wing.

130. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Bag of Pucks: D is rounding into shape though. Zaitsev and Reilly are blue chippers and Gardiner seems to have taken a step up so far this season. Rosen is a good looking prospect too.

– the similarity in terms of head office spend exists. The brain trust less impressive here imo. A failed exec from Arizona a failed exec from Columbus and a few failed execs from the oil. They all have connections to the oilers and likely aren’t hireable elsewhere.

– I like chia fine The contrast though with the leaf brain trust: all successful elsewhere and no country club ties to the organization that hired them is stark.

– it’s not even a contest in terms of quality if one values track record over bleeding oil.

– you would feel so much better if mct Lowe Howson Wayne etc were replaced with hockey executives whose primary attribute isn’t buddy with the owner.

131. OriginalPouzar says:

That is one theory that I definitely disagree with vis-a-vis roster deployment.

Yes, GM’s may need to structure their off-season game-plan with respect to cap allocated to lines, pairings, etc.

With that said, once a 23 man-roster is given to the coach, the coach needs to deploy those 23 men on any given night in a manner than gives his team the best chance to wiin the game that night.

If that means Russell on the 3rd pairing, then he should play 3rd pairing.

If that means Nuge on the 3rd line, then he should play third line.

As a pure example, if that means Drai on the fourth line (which it wouldn’t), then he should play the fourth line.

132. Showerhead says:

Lowetide: You could play that game again and Edmonton wins 3-1. Stuff happens.

This is how I saw the game.

Yes they lapsed after the Russell goal and no Talbot didn’t play perfectly and yes there were a couple of bad mistakes but to me the story is that stuff happened.

A good team with flaws, this one. We’ll be fine.

133. Jethro Tull says:

Turkey brined in salt, beer and maple syrup.

Blue cheese mash potatoes.

Cauliflower and leek cheese bake.

Garlic cheese biscuits.

Stuffing.

Homemade gravy.

Oatmeal lager.

Happy thanksgiving, my colonial cousins.

134. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar,

– the coach coach thing appears to be the approach now. Chia has said he prefers drai as a c for example.

– previous regimes it was clear the micro management group think was prevalent: Norris getting fed 1st line minutes by different coaches, renney saying he didn’t have free reign, mact on the bench with Todd just because the Steve austins never accountable for poor play but others called out ferrence calling out players, etc.

– it’s way better now even though it’s clear caggulia had ice time promise, 40 games for poolparty. I guess that’s meddling but of a different variety

135. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

What does lb per inch have to do with anything. That’s the most useless stat ever

136. OriginalPouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    OriginalPouzar,

I believe the GM said he sees Drai as a centre “long term” and I agree and I would think the coach agrees as well.

137. Pescador says:

Jethro Tull:
    Turkey brined in salt, beer and maple syrup.

Blue cheese mash potatoes.

Cauliflower and leek cheese bake.

Garlic cheese biscuits.

Stuffing.

Homemade gravy.

Oatmeal lager.

Happy thanksgiving, my colonial cousins.

Lordy that sounds delicious, 2 questions;
    What time is supper & what can bring?

138. The Concept JDî says:

Lowetide: It wasn’t an off leash park.

Then yes, that dog owner is a d-bag.