500 At-bats

In 1972, the Montreal Expos were an old team. Despite being an expansion club, manager Gene Mauch liked older, established players and the Bronfmans (who owned the team) were partial to former Dodgers. That summer, 1972, a young man named Pepe Mangual made an appearance in an Expos uniform. He was a fleet outfielder and 20, the first of a watershed of young outfielders who appeared over the next five seasons.

The next year came Tony Scott and then Jerry White in 1974. Summer 1975 saw Mangual emerge as a regular and the first at-bats of Ellis Valentine and Bombo Rivera. By 1976, the entire outfield—Rivera, Valentine and catcher-in-waiting Gary Carter—were kids from the system and regular starters on the team. That same season, Gary Roenicke, Andrew Dawson and Warren Cromartie all made their major league debuts.

Each man was given at least some time at the big league level and many received 500 at-bats in a season and a full shot at a career at the highest level of baseball. At some point, Pepe Mangual was ready for a full season, to see what he could deliver, and the Montreal Expos made room. In his fifth Expos season, Mangual lost his job in the Expos outfield to Ellis Valentine. There is no shame in that, Valentine was one of the truly phenomenal prospects the Expos ever drafted.

Anton Slepyshev might be Pepe Mangual, or he might be Warren Cromartie, but at some point the Edmonton Oilers have to give him 500 at-bats. He got about half a season in 2016-17, suspect he’ll get the full run this year. There are some smart people who believe he can score 20 goals in a full season, and that would be exceptional for the current edition of the Oilers.

His comparables are an interesting group, ranging from Chris Neil to Val Filppula. Slepyshev has some promising things in his game, including a very effective shot. Can he score 20? The only way to find out is to give him a chance.

COMMENTS

I received a few comments overnight and today about the Oilers and the right-wing situation. Some of you think it is time to make a trade, to find a more proven RW and move on from the young and unproven players like Slepyshev. While that is an option, the Oilers are clearly focused on finding out about some of their youth. The Oilers are going to see how he shines in a starting role, just as the Montreal Expos auditioned Pepe Mangual 45 years ago.

IT’S MCDAVID’S FINAL ENTRY SEASON!

Yes, I understand that this is the final season for 97’s entry-level deal and that’s an excellent point. However, if Slepyshev scores 20 goals this season and can be signed to a reasonable deal moving forward, that’s going to benefit this organization for 2017-18 and beyond. It is right to give this player a full chance. The coach likes him, he did have some success in the spring during the playoffs.

I don’t know if Anton Slepyshev is going to make it with the Edmonton Oilers as a productive NHL player. I do know there’s only one way to find out. If he doesn’t work out, say by mid-season, then a trade can address the situation. Putting Anton Slepyshev into the starting lineup on Saturday is the right thing to do, and this isn’t just a three-game thing. He appears to be NHL-ready based on everything we know. No one grabbed this job while he was out, now it’s Anton’s turn.

46 Responses to "500 At-bats"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

In my opinion, the “issues” on right wing are far less material than the potential issues on right defence.

Adding a scoring winger is relatively easy and can be done really at any point throughout the season but adding a legit 2RD isn’t quite as easy and I do not think using up the (currently) final contract spot, the acquisition currency we have and/or the cap space we have on a scoring winger is a good idea until something is done to ensure the defensive group can at least tread water until Sekera is back (whether its via acquisition, pairing deployment or simply “playing better”).

If the defence is no better than what we’ve seen the last two games, this team will likely not make the playoffs, however, if the defence is able to hold the fort then the playoffs should not be in question even with the lack of scoring from the right wing.

2. Snowman says:

I have no problem with Slepy getting at bats. With the center depth on this team its possible for him to get the appropriate at bats on the 3rd line. There is enough skill there to see if he can produce some offence.

My point would be this: Get a true top 6 right wing and give Slepy 3rd line at bats. You can do both things.

Its not like the days of having Boyd Gordon or Will Acton on that line. Strome and Jokkinnen. Nuge if Drai moves to Center. Those are good enough players to produce with in my opinion.

Finding a 1RW or 2RW puts the forward groups into balance.

I agree with OP that the D is a problem. I bought into the growth will come from young players line. But have been reminded that young players grown when they’re ready not when you’re in need.

The D is a problem. Especially with the D corps that exist in the Western Conference.

Snowman:

Finding a 1RW or 2RW puts the forward groups into balance.

Strome’s acquisition is a bit of a problem in that he’s going to play C or R. If Leon goes back to center, Strome and Kassian are basically automatic and then one of Jokinen or Caggiula likely. Slepyshev can absolutely thrive as 3R with a skill center, agree on that completely.

4. McSorley33 says:

Watching Columbus and Carolina play and the pace and speed are incredible.

Very curious to see how we match up against Carolina next week.

McSorley33:
    Watching Columbus and Carolina play and the pace and speed are incredible.

Very curious to see how we match up against Carolina next week.

Two very good teams.

6. nelson88 says:

Love the Expos history. My favourite team (any sport) growing up. My interest in baseball started to wane after that 94 season and the eventual move pretty much killed anything that was left.

I like Chia’s approach on the kids. Show some confidence in them and find out what you have. If the team is still struggling after 10 – 15 games then make a move but it is way too early to panic.

7. meanashell11 says:

nelson88:

I like Chia’s approach on thekids. Show some confidence in them and find out what you have. If the team is still struggling after 10 – 15 games then make a move but it is way too early to panic.

Agree completely. Walked into the office today and the youngsters who had gone to the game last night were going nuts for the Yankees. I was surprised as I did not even know they were still playing. I was there the night Joe Carter hit that HR (Mitch I hear you calling!), have not watched a game since 94…..

8. PDO says:

Sleppy is the real deal.

The blender better damn well come out though, and it has to start with 29 and 97 on different lines and it should end with 77 and 6 on different pairings.

Call up young JP, it’s not like had a bad training camp by any stretch.

19-97-98 Speed size & skill and a commitment to cheap wingers for 97.
    27-29-58 Worked in the playoffs
    36-93-44 44 adds much needed grit and I think 93 is the C who can help zoom 36.
    16-55-18 The utility.

And yes, 18 can be on the fourth line until he wakes the fuck up. 91 to the press box.

Yamamoto down to the minors. He looks like a player long-term but he’s fading fast and there’s no shame in him not being ready at his size and his age.

77-83
    25-6
    81-4

I know this will never happen because 83’s the one eating the shit sandwich on goal #3 last night despite Russell being “also in picture,” but it’s the way to go…

9. OriginalPouzar says:

I agree with much of this – those are the D-pairings I suggest and, if McLellan can realize the Russell is allowed to play 3rd pairing minutes, we may see it. He likely wants to get Auvitu a game.

I don’t agree with calling Puljijarvi up at this point – he was sent to the AHL to continue to develop parts of his game and has had the opportunity to play exactly 1 game – lets give him the opportunity to continue to develop.

Lets not forget that our coach has changed the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines every game this year and changed the 1st line within the third game – he has given zero chance at continue and chemistry development.

If Drake is healthy, there is the makings of a good lineup there than can score – it just needs to be found.

Yamamoto will be re-assigned some time in the near future and that MAY be the time to call JP up depending on how he’s playing in the Bake!

10. stush18 says:

PDO,

Too much chaos in klefbom-benning right now for me. Maybe it work a put together bough. Not a lot of other options. I thought

Klefbom-Russell
    Nurse-Larsson
    Auvitu-benning

Might be ok. Russell isn’t coming out of the top four, so we might as well play him with our top puckmover.

I think that’s the optional pairing between nurse-Russell and Russell-Larsson.

11. PDO says:

stush18:
    PDO,

Klefbom-Russell
    Nurse-Larsson
    Auvitu-benning

I think that’s the optional pairing between nurse-Russell and Russell-Larsson.

That’s what I fully expect to see tomorrow.

83 has no idea how to play with 4 because 4 is usually standing beside Talbot.

83’s biggest problem right now is he’s the only D on the pairing that can make a pass and/or challenge at the blue. Give him someone competent if you’re going to ask him to take on top 4 minutes. He’s currently being asked to be better than the guy to his left making $4,000,000….

12. Dominoiler says:

No one grabbed this job while he was out, now it’s Anton’s turn.

That’s gold, thanks LT!..

13. OriginalPouzar says:

Giant’s owner has stated that Benson won’t join them until later on the 5 game trip they are about to start or until early November.

A bit disappointing (as per usual) but as long as he’s finally recovered from the hernia surgery and it back in the next little while to get most of a full season.

It would be great if he could get in enough games to show he’s Team Canada worthy.

14. stush18 says:

ALso, apologies for all these sentences that don’t seem to make sense. My phones autocorrect is absolutely out to lunch these days, and the hesitation on the site causes some real strange “fixes”

15. frjohnk says:

stush18: ALso, apologies for all these sentences that don’t seem to make sense. My phones autocorrect is absolutely out to lunch these days

That excuse was used a few years ago.

And its a pathetic one 🙂

16. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Can’t see Canada taking a risk on him though, even if he’s playing well. They have a WHL bias as it is, and he hasn’t had the track record

17. stush18 says:

frjohnk: That excuse was used a few years ago.

And its a pathetic one 🙂

Haha I know! Always a day late and a dollar short.

18. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Personally, I’ve liked how stromes played, same with nuge, kassian.

Haven’t really been happy with the entire top line, or caguilla.

Indifferent to lucic, jokinen.

I would run the three centres on different lines.

Maroon-mcdavid-strome
    Lucic-nuge-kassian
    Caguilla-Leon-slepy
    JJ-letestu-jokinen

I think those three lines can sustain pressure consistently. Lucic and kassianhave looked really good together.

I’m banking on maroon-mcdavid continuing to work. I’m rewarding strome because he’s consistently in scrums around the net. Plus it balances the scoring.

19. texmex says:

stush18,

DeBrincat with 1g 1a so far tonight

20. GMB3 says:

Snowman:

Finding a 1RW or 2RW puts the forward groups into balance.

What if Slepyshev is ready to be a top 6 forward? At this stage of the year you might as well give him an opportunity opposed to selling the farm for an expensive short term fix

21. Professor Q says:

texmex:
    stush18,

DeBrincat with 1g 1a so far tonight

Yamamoto vs. DeBrincat should probably be the better comparison in terms of play style and size etc.?

22. texmex says:

Professor Q,

For sure. But many here think the Oilers should have drafted DeBrincat over Benson. It also amuses me how people here think the Oilers should hit a home run with EVERY draft pick.

23. Ryan says:

Lowetide: Two very good teams.

We live in interesting times as Oilers fans. Winter is coming.

At one point in my life, I lived in a place where winter does not exist. The first year I recall around this time feeling a sense of apprehension and dread. It took me awhile to identify the cause. It was that feeling that winter is (was) coming. Needless to say, it never came. Nor the following three years, yet every year that ingrained feeling reared it’s ugly head.

Right now, I have that same feeling pertaining to the Oilers. 10 consecutive years will do that to a fan.

With any luck, much like my winterless winters of past, hopefully it’s just a bad feeling that we can’t shake.

Yet, looking at the Oilers 10 game schedule this month, it’s not hard to imagine a scenario in which the Oilers lose 5 of the next seven and finish the month at 3-7.

The mandate last season was pedal to the metal regardless of the consequences (Draisatl contract inflated by playing with McDavid, riding Talbot to 73 starts).

This season we’re on the path of relying on “internal development” of years past. I wonder what Chiarelli does if the Oilers wobble significantly out of the gate.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

stush18: I’d like it even to use as a measuring stick as to how he’s progressing against his peers.

You could be right although he was invited to orientation camp this summer.

I think if he’s been playing for 6 weeks at the level we know he can (and generally does when healthy), he can and will make the roster.

25. ashley says:

Lowetide: Two very good teams.

There are a lot of really good teams. In fact, I recall the days when there were a lot of really bad teams, a few middle of the road, and 3-4 good teams. Then came the years of 6-8 really good teams. Then 10-12. Now it seems like half the league has a good team. Then there are 10-12 that are not far behind those good teams and any of them could surprise if they make it to the post season. And then 3-4 bad teams.

I guess that’s the salary cap effect. But this is why the idea that any team is destined for multiple stanleys like the 70’s and 80’s is not realistic. The narrower the range of quality of the teams vying for the championship, the more luck plays a role in who makes it all the way.

We should be happy with one, if we are so lucky. But forget that, I think we should focus on something even smaller like making the playoffs which is by no means a guarantee in a league with 15-25 good teams.

26. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Ryan,

– Great post LT!

-Ryan – I moved from Canada to London England for 5 years. And for at least the first three years from about October onwards, I would brace myself just before walking out of my flat, in anticipation of the cold

– It was such a strange reflex, that took years to overcome

– I hadn’t thought of that in a long time, you put it so well.

– This is a nervous nelly board of posters I would say. After “bracing” ourself for a sting, we don’t know any better. I don’t know if we are going to win the Cup this year or when, but I do know that for years and years we will be in the conversation. There will be highs and lows.

– Crosby/Malkin have won 3 cups now, kind of the over/under on what you’d expect. But man it hasn’t been easy. It’s not gong to be easy here either…

27. sliderule says:

There is a lot of cheating for offence going on with the oiler top guns.

I would think that the last two games will make them realize that it’s not a given that they can out score their opponents.

The defence is very young and prone to mistakes so be prepared for a bumpy ride with hopefully more highs than lows.

28. Bruce McCurdy says:

texmex:
    stush18,

DeBrincat with 1g 1a so far tonight

Both beauties. First NHL goal was a wicked snipe that beat Carey Price from the high slot. If anything the assist was more impressive, one-touch feed across the crease for a tap-in. Ths guy has great offensive instincts and a nice tool box of skills with which to execute them.

DeBrincat was a scoring machine in Erie, with and without McDavid. 3 straight 50-goal, 100-point seasons. Now he appears poised to skip the AHL altogether & make the jump to the NHL in his Draft+2 year. 5’7, 165, doesnt turn 20 ’til December.

Oilers may have missed the boat but I snagged him in my keeper league this weekend & I’m pumped.

29. GMB3 says:

Wild finish in Nashville here. Philly with the ballsy offside review that didn’t pan out, now 5-5 with a 5 on 3 for Nashville

30. GMB3 says:

And Forsberg scored, 6-5 Nashville. 33 seconds left

31. Chachi says:

Bruce McCurdy: Both beauties. First NHL goal was a wicked snipe that beat Carey Price from the high slot.

The high high high slot. The assist was a beaut.

32. Centre of attention says:

The news about Benson is unfortunate. He is the new Pitlick, hopefully he ends up sticking in the NHL similar to ‘Lance’.

By the way, I just did a little bit of light digging on the Oilers advanced stats. What I found should ease a bit of the hand wringing in Oil country.

Sample size alert and everything, but Edmonton is 4th in expected goals for % and 6th in CorsiFor%

The Oilers will be ok if they avoid the “shotgun to foot” moments like the Lucic misread LT described this morning. Those errant passes, or those “can’t make the play on the boards to get the puck out” moments, or those “Russel and Benning decided to back up past the hash marks” kind of moments. Those are the kinds of individual errors that are killing a generally sound effort so far, and the fancy stats show that the effort possession wise has been solid-to-good.

If they add a defenseman in-season they could be cooking with gas. It seems the plan so far though is to see what young Matt Benning/Nurse can do and simply sit tight until Sekera comes back. I wonder if Auvitu gets a game here soon as Gyba has taken some pretty dumb penalties and made some pretty awful choices. Knowing Todd he’ll scratch Benning though. Maybe its for the best because the kid looks like he needs a couple days worth of sleep every time I see his face in an interview haha.

Thats my 2 cents on the current state of the Oilers.

Also I’m #TeamSleppy. I thought he had some jump the other night when Drai was moved to his line. Pakarinen couldn’t really riff off what Slepy and Leon had going so I wonder if Todd tries something like:

Maroon-McDavid-Nuge
    Lucic-Drai-Slepy
    Jokinen-Strome-Kassian
    Khaira-Letestu-Pakarinen/Caggiula

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

Unreal start in Vegas. First of all someone starting cutting a 500-pound bag of onions during the introductions, & then the home team pounded home 4 goals in the first 10 minutes. (!!!!)

Former Oilers Griffin Reinhart, Brad Hunt & David Perron all got introduced, but only Perron is playing. That glut of d-men is looking more interesting by the day, even as GR &/or BH might not be to everyone’s tastes around here.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Centre of attention:

By the way, I just dida little bit of light digging on the Oilers advanced stats. What I found should ease a bit of the hand wringing in Oil country.

Thats my 2 cents on the current state of the Oilers.

Maroon-McDavid-Nuge
    Lucic-Drai-Slepy
    Jokinen-Strome-Kassian
    Khaira-Letestu-Pakarinen/Caggiula

In my opinion there is almost zero chance that Nuge gets moved from center and I agree.

Switch Nuge and STrom and I’m in.

35. Bruce McCurdy says:

Nice to see Vegas resident Deryk Engelland score his annual goal in the opener. Has to be a big night for him.

Oh Engelland, my Lionheart…

36. Bruce McCurdy says:

In many ways his pro career parallels that of Matt Hendricks. Pretty hard not to respect what he has accomplished, & a lot easier to root for him now that he’s no longer a gordless Flame.

37. who says:

So Benning has a couple of bad games but it’s Russells fault. Okay then.
    Think some of our posters are gonna have to learn to love Russell a little more. Cause right now, he’s our third best dman, no matter what side he plays on.

38. jfry says:

while we’re talking about smaller players. has anyone been following steenberger this year? 13 goals already? his numbers last year were way better than his draft position in the 7th round, now he’s absolutely ripping it off the ball.

who: Deryk Engelland is an interesting player. He’s an Edmonton native who played an overage year in the Dub before turning pro at 21 in 2003 & catching on with the Las Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL, where he met his future wife & made his home there. He played parts of FOUR seasons in the ECHL, 150 games includng playoffs, a remarkable number for a future NHler. He played a further 392 games in the AHL, making his NHL debut at age 27 & finally making the league full time a year later. Now 35, he makes his return to Vegas ice in what coincidentally is his 500th NHL game (including playoffs).

40. Pescador says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Excellent post Mr Bruce,
    It is a great story, and it deserved some well shone light

41. Gret99zky says:

Lowetide: However, if Slepyshev scores 20 goals this season and can be signed to a reasonable deal moving forward, that’s going to benefit this organization for 2017-18 and beyond.

Can’t wait to see what Maroon demands.

Gret99zky: Any success from a player on this team will likely result in a “F@#$ You, Pay me!” rather than the mythical, “I’d be happy to take a discount for the privilege of playing on Connor McDavid’s team.”

Can’t wait to see what Maroon demands.

Slepyshev is in the final year of his entry-level deal. Oilers have him under control and he’s probably not a flight risk. Good chance a reasonable deal gets done.

43. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Russell takes a lot of crap online, but I think this blog is fairly positive on him. Some posters are down on the veteran but it isn’t a universal downer.

LT: how come your post appears as a reply to Who, but quotes my comment? Weird

44. Professor Q says:

Bruce McCurdy: LT:how come your post appears as a reply to Who, but quotes my comment? Weird

Guess Who? It’s Bruce McCurdy!

I’m gifted! 🙂

46. OriginalPouzar says:

Very curious to see what the lines will be at practice today and also the defence pairings to see if McLellan is looking to switch things up on the back-end.