AHL Game Two: Rampage at Condors

Most of the AHL plays 76 games per team, meaning each AHL franchise can deploy 936 man-games for forwards, 468 man-games for defensemen, and 76 games for their goalie prospects. The Pacific Division teams save money, or gasoline, or God knows what, and play just 68 games. That means the Bakersfield Condors have  816 (F), 408 (D) and 68 (G) opportunities for their kids. No one seems to think it’s a big deal, but as someone who counts at-bats as being vital for development, this is galling on the highest.

CONDORS TONIGHT

Coach Gerry Fleming is going to run basically the same roster in Game Two as he did in the first game. Changes include goalie Eddie Pasquale, RW getting a shuffle with Anton Slepyshev moving to the NHL, and Joe Gambardella replacing Braden Christoffer on the fourth line.

The Oilers have just 67 more games for their minor-league team this season, so you can bet the organization wants to see the most promising prospects. Sometimes we’ll get into a conversation about players who are on AHL-only deals, and someone will wonder why Josh Currie is getting at-bats in front of Greg Chase. Perhaps a more discerning reader will wonder why Chad Butcher, a new pro and an AHL-only player, is not only getting playing time in the AHL but Kyle Platzer’s roster spot (Platzer is in Wichita). The answer is the first sentence of  this paragraph.

Fleming’s roster did a helluva job against the Heat last week, although the club scored only one goal. Seemed like every forward had five or six shots and that’s a good thing. If the group repeats tonight and the goaltending is tight, the Condors probably get their first win of the new season.

NOT CONDORS TONIGHT

Anton Slepyshev isn’t in the lineup because he’s in the NHL, but for men like Greg Chase, Ben Betker (and Kyle Platzer) not playing to start the final year of your entry-level deal is not a great beginning. Miles to go and everyone gets a chance in the 68 games made available.

The name that pops here is that of Ziyat Paigin. The Oilers like him plenty, yet he doesn’t play. Why? One of two possibilities, really. First, injury. Second, the hitch in his giddyup from preseason may remain. Paigin may take some time to adjust to the speed and style of the North American game. I can’t find any other explanations for his handling at this point in time. Unless there’s a visa issue (seems a stretch).

52 Responses to "AHL Game Two: Rampage at Condors"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I haven’t heard anything about Paigin being hurt – I think he’s simply been passed by Mantha on the depth chart at this point.

From what I saw in prospects camp (and only so much can be gleaned), he needs time to adjust to the North American game – unfortunately, that does not happen from the press box (assuming he is indeed a healthy scratch).

Any chance he gets assigned to Wichita to get some games in?

Is he a flight risk back to Russia?

OriginalPouzar:

Any chance he gets assigned to Wichita to get some games in?

Is he a flight risk back to Russia?

3. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: Oilers may want to go lefty-righty, meaning the Condors will have to rest one of the veterans or Caleb Jones to get Paigin in the lineup. It’s interesting the organization is slow playing their most experienced new AHler, though, gotta say.

They don’t seem to be fond of his Paigin ways?

Professor Q: They don’t seem to be fond of his Paigin ways?

Haha!

5. Dino says:

Why Keegan Lowe, who isn’t even a prospect, is playing in the lineup before Paigin, a highly touted prospect who needs development time is a head-scratcher to me.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

Keegan Lowe has is infinitely more likely to play in the NHL this year than Paigin.

Lowe has played a couple of NHL games and, if injuries do pile up, he is in the realm of possibility – remember the OIlers used 11 d-men last year, in a healthy year. Its not unusual for teams to use up to 15 in a season.

Agree with OP. Lowe would be in the mix for first recall imo, along with SImpson and Fayne. Oilers probably want to kids down on the farm for all or most of the season.

8. pocession charge says:

I’m not sure if playing more games makes much difference in development. In fact, at some point you can play too many games and the law of diminishing returns starts to creep into the equation. There are benefits to playing less games — more practice time, more rest, less chance of injury.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

I would think Simpson is first and the, yes likely Fayne or Lowe.

I’m sure much of the fan base will claim bloddy murder if Lowe is recalled and parts of the fanbase will wonder why Jones doesn’t get the call.

I’m with you though – unless Jones is absolutely killing it, like top d-man in the AHL kind of killing it, I don’t want to see him (or any of the other 3) in the NHL this year.

Well, that’s not true, I “want” to see Jones because its exciting but I can’t imagine, at this point, it being a good idea for his development.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

pocession charge:
    I’m not sure if playing more games makes much difference in development.In fact, at some point you can play too many games and the law of diminishing returns starts to creep into the equation.There are benefits to playing less games — more practice time, more rest, less chance of injury.

What is the context here? Are we talking about Paigin and the other 3 rookie pro D?

I won’t discount what you are saying generally but I would posit there is great value in these rookies playing pro hockey for the first time in their lives (except Paigin, first pro hockey in North America).

11. Jethro Tull says:

Pittsburgh are not good at yhe ice hockeys this game so far.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t believe I get AHL games with my Rogers Gamecenter Live.

I always see the link for Reddit NHL Streams and it looks like there are also AHL streams on Reddit but I’ve never used Reddit before and I have no idea how to find, and stream, the Condors game (assuming there is one).

I’m not generally illiterate with these types of things but am definitely struggling with this one.

13. Professor Q says:

pocession charge:

Kind of odd to have a chunk of teams in your league have an advantage and disadvantage like that.

14. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar,

Doesn’t look like OnHockey has any AHL games on tonight, either.

15. pocession charge says:

Professor Q: But wouldn’t it make sense to play the same amount of games as most of the rest of the league?

Yes I think it is odd. Likely has something to do with travel in the west.

16. pocession charge says:

OriginalPouzar: What is the context here?Are we talking about Paigin and the other 3 rookie pro D?

The context is a response to LT’s belief that more at bats is preferable. What is the right number of games? In Europe they play less games and have more practice time to work on skills. You don’t become a scratch golfer by playing a lot of rounds. Practice makes better in my opinion. Games are also important and I think the AHL rookies will get games, just not as many as the established (or more effective) players. If Paigin looked amazing the team wouldn’t be holding him back.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Wells stops all but 1 of the 23 shots he faces in a 2-1 win.

Safin with one shot on net and an even rating in a 2-1 loss.

1-0 San Antonio, Patrick Russell with three shots on goal

Malone scores from Laleggia and Puljujarvi. 1-1

20. GMB3 says:

How are you watching the game? Can’t find it

GMB3:

How are you watching the game? Can’t find it

I’m not watching, but following.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

Who the heck is David Gust?

He just scored from Mantha and Simpson.

Gust scores from SImpson and Mantha. Gust’s first pro game. 2-2

Malone his second from Bear and Laleggia. 3-2 Bakersfield

Gust with his second from Gambardella and Mantha, now 4-2.

26. OmJo says:

Gust with his second from Gambardella and Mantha, now 4-2.

It must be really windy on the ice.

I’ll see myself out.

27. VOR says:

For those who are interested in such things David Gust played for the Ohio State Buckeyes for the last four years. He was not very good at all in his first two seasons but in his junior season jumped into the top ten in Big Ten Scoring and was even better last year scoring 41 points in 36 games. Before College he was a fairly forgettable player for the Fargo Force in the USHL.

The book on him is he has sick hands and is creative offensively. He plays hard at both ends of the ice. But he was such a late bloomer nobody really took him to seriously as a possible pro,

Gust is quite smart maintaining more than a 3.0 GPA and graduating with a major in Consumer Science and Family Finance. He won a number of academic honors. His sister Kara played defence at Ohio State and graduated from the same program.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

VOR:

I was literally just reading about him a few minutes ago.

I think he’s just on an AHL only contract.

29. The Concept JDî says:

GMB3,

It seems onhockey doesn’t get AHL streams any more. Looks like some people are saying the Lazyman method is up and getting AHL games this season. There’s a subreddit for it /r/lazyman.

I used it a couple of seasons ago, and it worked really well, including game archives.

30. Professor Q says:

OmJo: It must be really windy on the ice.

I’ll see myself out.

He’s gotten used to the Bakersfield climate very quickly, indeed.

31. VOR says:

Original Pouzar,

Yes, it is an AHL only contract for this season. I’d say the odds of him making the NHL are very small. Then again two years ago at this time I would have been certain he’d never see an AHL ice surface so what do I know.

32. GMB3 says:

Mike Green with his 8th assist so far this season….

Patrick Russell with a shorthanded goal, 5-3.

34. Professor Q says:

Patrick Russell with a shorthanded goal, 5-3.

Could he be revving up to improve drastically from last season?

Condors win 5-4. EIGHT shots by Patrick Russell.

36. GMB3 says:

Taylor Hall only had 14 minutes of ice in his last game. Yet to break 18 minutes so far this season.

37. GMB3 says:

Lawson Crouse with a scary hit tonight. Kind of jumped Jensen from the Wings afterwards too. My greatest fear in the 2015 draft prior to winning the lottery was that we would fall past Tkachuk and take Crouse. Fit the DoD model for drafting.

38. stush18 says:

GMB3:
    Mike Green with his 8th assist so far this season….

Martin frk is doing well too!

Wanted the oilers to pick him up on waivers last year, but Carolina nabbed him

39. GMB3 says:

stush18: Martin frk is doing well too!

Wanted the oilers to pick him up on waivers last year, but Carolina nabbed him

Yeah he has some skill for sure. Good for him, spent parts of 2 seasons in the ECHL I believe. Scored well in the AHL and isn’t afraid to muck it up out there. I don’t know enough about the player but from limited viewings and on paper he looks like he would be a good fit for this team.

40. LMHF#1 says:

Picking up Green and Brayden McNabb would be interesting.

41. GMB3 says:

LMHF#1:
    Picking up Green and Brayden McNabb would be interesting.

42. LMHF#1 says:

GMB3: Don’t see how we would have room for both of those guys. Just picking up Green would make a lot of sense to me.

They’re better than at least 2 of the defenders on the roster.

I think we’re stuck in an old mentality of having to keep people even when better options and upgrades are out there. Time to ditch that.

I like Mike Green – always have – but they need a better defender as well, to knock Russell, Benning and Gryba down the depth chart in defensive situations.

43. LMHF#1 says:

pocession charge: .You don’t become a scratch golfer by playing a lot of rounds.

Where are you going with this PC?

You may not mindlessly play 18s, but on the course is where you become that level of player.

There are all kinds of range pros out there.

I’ve sadly regressed from the former to the latter. It sucks.

What I think people miss is that yes – practice and skills individually are important, but it all comes down to how you play the game. There was a trend in the 90s where coaches of minor hockey teams really bought into this skills only stuff and put out some craptacular hockey teams who could own a power skating class like nobody’s business.

In the end it’s both – practice and play a shit ton. And practice playing – not just static stuff.

44. GMB3 says:

LMHF#1: Where are you going with this PC?

There are all kinds of range pros out there.

I’ve sadly regressed from the former to the latter. It sucks.

What I think people miss is that yes – practice and skills individually are important, but it all comes down to how you play the game. There was a trend in the 90s where coaches of minor hockey teams really bought into this and put out some craptacular hockey teams who could own a power skating class like nobody’s business.

So true. I grew late, and I remember I played lower level rep in peewee and atom, and had two coaches who were all about the power skating. Made me a great skater but I really struggled with the tactical aspect of the game entering higher level hockey.

And the golf analogy is spot on. In coaching theory they talk about blocked practice vs random practice. Repetitive drilling, ie. spending all your time on the driving range isn’t always the best way to teach skills that translate to a game state. Random practice usually works better for skill acquisition.

45. GMB3 says:

LMHF#1: They’re better than at least 2 of the defenders on the roster.

46. LMHF#1 says:

GMB3: I’m not sure it’s an old mentality, but it’s tough to move on from Russell when he has a NMC. I don’t see them dealing Nurse just yet and we are near the 50 contract limit.

Gryba and Auvitu though?

47. OilSlickster says:

For those looking to watch AHL games in the future, i prefer this site. livetv.sx it has every sport and every league.

48. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors win 5-4. EIGHT shots by Patrick Russell.

3 points for Malone.

8 shots is great – the SH goal moved him from -3 to -2 though.

49. Dominoiler says:

The first goal against the condors was all kinds of awful from Jesse pulj.. turns it over to set off a three on one, then glides back to be ‘also in the photo’ while covering no one.. i hope he got an ear full from the coaches, ugly play and atrocious effort to make up for it..

50. OriginalPouzar says:

Dominoiler:

Ya, Jesse was trying to make a play in the neutral zone and got knocked off the puck and it went the other way.

Jesse may be able to contribute offensively in the NHL on RW in the top 6 as well as some of the guys being given the opportunity in the NHL right now, however, I believe there is significant value in giving him the opportunity to make and learn from these types of mistakes in the AHL for a decent stretch.

Not saying he needs the season or even half the season but I think the organization can give Jesse the privilege and opportunity of a good solid stretch of games in the AHL – a month or so before they contemplate bringing him up – unless, of course, injuries dictate otherwise.

He doesn’t necessarily need to be brought up with Kailer is re-assigned (and, god no, Kelly doesn’t need to be signed at that time either).

51. Dominoiler says:

Well said, thanks for following up my post with a more rational response.. 😉