Doctor My Eyes

Leon Draisaitl’s eye injury began the week as a curio and ends it as a full-fledged worry. Todd McLellan talked about things yesterday.

• McLellan: “The swelling has come down in the eye and he has a bit of vision in it. But it wasn’t safe to put him on the ice (Thursday) and it’s not something we’re going to fool around with until he’s 100 per cent ready to come back.” Source

At a guess, we’re probably looking at LD missing the Saturday game just to be safe and then we’ll see him back as a regular next week. Still, it’s a worry, hope to see him on the ice today.

YESTERDAY’S LINES

• Patrick Maroon—Connor McDavid—Kailer Yamamoto
  • Milan Lucic—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Zack Kassian
  • Jussi Jokinen—Ryan Strome—Anton Slepyshev
  • Jujhar Khaira—Mark Letestu—Iiro Pakarinen
  • Chris Kelly
  • Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
  • Darnell Nurse—Kris Russell
  • Yohann Auvitu—Eric Gryba
  • Matt Benning
  • Cam Talbot (Laurent Brossoit)

When Ryan Rishaug tweeted out the lines, I felt it was a stopgap group until Leon returned (today) to practice. Now? Not so much. If LD and Drake Caggiula can’t skate today, this group may be what we’re looking at for Saturday night (sans Chris Kelly).

Joey Laleggia picked up two points last night, among prominent prospects that was probably the top performance. Jesse Puljujarvi picked up an assist (2gp, 0-2-2) and Ryan Mantha grabbed two helpers as well. Patrick Russell, who lasted a long time in preseason before getting sent out, scored a goal and had eight shots (11 now on the season). Ethan Bear had an assist and is 2gp, 1-1-2 on the year. Dave Gust, a small, skilled college man making his pro debut, scored twice. Dillon Simpson had an assist and was +2 on the night, Keegan Lowe had no boxcars but was +3. The Russell goal was the winner and came shorthanded, but the boxscore has five Condors skaters on the ice at the time. I don’t understand. Next game tomorrow versus Tucson.

Sometimes I wonder why Jesse Puljujarvi remains in the minors, he looks good in a lot of areas even at the NHL level. Corey Pronman’s capture above tells us there’s still some road to go for the giant Finn.

OILERS 5×5 SHOTS PER 60 (FORWARDS)

1. Mark Letestu 15.38
  10. Iiro Pakarinen 5.56
  11. Anton Slepyshev 5.51
  12. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 4.62
  13. Milan Lucic 4.5
  14. Jujhar Khaira 0.0
  15. Source

Two things of note here: Connor McDavid is turning into his own shooter (way up from 8.74 shots per 60 5×5 a year ago), and Kailer Yamamoto’s shots per 60 are excellent. Now, small sample size and he’s making rookie mistakes without the puck, but that’s an excellent number at the beginning of his NHL career.

That 2016 third round was an interesting sequence for the Edmonton Oilers. The club chose Markus Niemelainen at No. 63 overall, he was ranked in that range by many sources (I had him No. 108). Niemelainen had a subpar OHL season and is now in Finland and injured. Next up came defender Matt Cairns at No. 84 overall, he couldn’t find regular work in the USHL and had to catch on in the BCHL. I didn’t rank Cairns but sometimes an organization sees a gem in a secondary league and catch lightning in a bottle. Cairns hasn’t shown anything yet, and even though we wait five years, it’s disappointing he didn’t get regular work in the U.S. league.

Filip Berglund was chosen No. 91 overall (I had him No. 61) and his arrows have been heading in a good direction since draft day. Miles to go but when we get to the Winter Top 20 these three men—chosen in the same round—are going to have a massive gap in ranking. Sometimes these things make themselves obvious in a quick hurry.

CAP ROOM

I keep reading the Oilers have $8 million in cap room and very little worry in terms of cap bonus, but that simply isn’t true.  Using Capfriendly, we see the cap hit for bonus could be over $5 million, and NHL teams have to account for that at the beginning of the year. That bonus number doesn’t include Jesse Puljujarvi, who may stay in Bakersfield until those cap issues burn off.

CURRENT OILERS ROSTER

As I see it, the Oilers aren’t close enough to the ceiling to make an LTIR move on Sekera beneficial. They also have to account for all possible bonuses at this time (McDavid, Nurse, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Benning, Yamamoto). I think the Oilers have less than $3.5 million in cap room at this time. Why then are people tweeting that the Oilers have $6-8 million in space? What am I missing, please and thanks. I understand crapping on Peter Chiarelli has become a popular sport, but it seems fair to at least have the facts to back things up, no? Or have we gone past that requirement?

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we grab a ticket to ride into the weekend, TSN1260! Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. Oilers, MLB, television.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. Oilers haven’t won since Frank left town!
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. Point Counter Point surrounds what to do with 1R and 2RHD.
  • Paul Almeida, SSE. A preview of the big Saturday game and the Leon worry.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

126 Responses to "Doctor My Eyes"

1. stephen sheps says:

While eye injuries are obviously very scary and I wish Leon a speedy recovery, I know there are enough of us around here who are classic simpsons aficionados, and the title of the post today made me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRslzYZxC2I

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Very anxious to see Leon on ice at practice today.

3. Edmonton_fan says:

Our forward draft picks after the 1st round need improvement.

Anton Lander was drafted in 2009; he had 35 points before he left the NHL. No Oiler forward drafted over the past eight years has more than 35 points – except Tobias Reider who moved on… The only other one since 2005 was Riley Nash; who also decided to move on.

Is drafting / or development messing up our pipe line of talent?

4. frjohnk says:

Looks like we are going to easily surpass the amount of injury time to players in the top 9 forwards and top 4 D compared to last year.

Let’s Hope it doesn’t compare to 15-16 injury rate.

5. Snowman says:

I’m not sure why there is such a worry about Leon. If his eye is swollen shut and he can’t see out of it makes pretty good sense to me that he wouldn’t practice. Especially don’t get the worry since they’ve been forthcoming about his injury and recovery thus far. I’d be more worried about non disclosure a la Klefboms foot two years ago.

Are people worried he lost an eye or something? I don’t understand the angst.

6. 36 percent body fat says:

Edmonton_fan,

Drafting and development,

Benson over Debrincat, Reinhart instead of Barzal and Carlo, Musil, Moroz, etc..

7. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Snowman,

Having “swelling and a bit of vision” 3 days after when the injury occurred means it’s not just a bump.

We have no idea what his vision will be when the swelling goes down as well.

If he practiced yesterday with a full cage that would .everyone feel better, but he didn’t.

We’ll see what happens today.

8. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March™ closes for new entries…

Here’s how you play: Pick the exact number of points you think the Oilers will have at the end of the season.

Last chance to enter is puck drop Saturday.

9. Brantford Boy says:

Ah ha LT… “The Russell goal was the winner and came shorthanded, but the boxscore has five Condors skaters on the ice at the time.”… the boxscores do account for shorthanded as 5×5, I win! 😉

And boy, the numbers and eye test sure differ for me here, Kailer Yamamoto 13.6 S/60… the games I’ve seen I don’t know if hes touched the puck 13.6 times never mind shot it…

Got to go light several candles for Leon…. think Patrick Russel is working his way into an early recall option… I thought it was Ty’s spot, that ship sailed…

Cheers!

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Both Lagesson and Berglund play tomorrow morning and I’m looking forward to seeing how much ice they get and how they do.

Samorukov (Guelph) vs. Maksimov (Niagra) tonight and I’m thinking about buying the game if I get home early enough from the office.

11. Optimism is like heroin says:

OK LT if we have 3.8 in space ….. how much better does this line up look with Sekera and Neal added in after xmas?

And what do you think the acquisition cost will be for Neal?

12. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

hunter1909,

HI Hunter,

Put me down for 97 points, thank you.

13. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m not overly concerned about the forwards – on any given night, McDavid can just lead them to 4-5 goals.

I am VERY concerned about the defence and just don’t see how we can win a hockey game without the goalie stealing it with those pairings.

I mean, how the heck is the 2nd pairing going to get the puck out of the zone with possession? Neither of them can pass it out (not with Russell on the right side) – Nurse can skate it out but there is only the opportunity to do that a few times a game.

How Benning isn’t being given the opportunity to find his game on the 3rd pairing, where he’s proven to be able to excel, over the incumbent 7D who has played every game and is, himself, struggling is mind-boggling to me.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

Snowman:

Are people worried he lost an eye or something? I don’t understand the angst.

I think the angst is with respect to him being able to play this Saturday, not that this is a long term injury.

15. GriffCity says:

That Puljujarvi turnover makes me cringe. Not only is that an egregious play through the middle of the ice but then that lack of hustle on the backcheck…Puke. Is that how he plans on making an impression? Turning the puck over and floating back leaving your man wide open for an uncontested tap in? He literally coasts from the blue line inward – puck watching the whole way. You’d get benched for doing something like that in Pee-Wee! Keep him in the minors for a whiiile if that’s how he’s playing.

16. OriginalPouzar says:

Brantford Boy:

Cheers!

Brad Malone is also working himself in to the first call-up conversation.

Leave Mr. Puljijarvi there for a stretch of games – a month, give or take, before call-up is considered.

Yes, he is the guy that could likely help the NHL RW scoring, however, he is also a prominent piece for this team for the next decade and he deserves the privilege and the opportunity to work on his game in the proper league – to actually make the type of mistake that he made last night, learn from it and move on without it being dissected by the entire fanbase because it occurred in an NHL game and was part of a loss.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

If that goal by Russell last night was actually SH then it was off a shorthanded 2 on 0

18. oscarmike says:

Oilers rely way too much on the rush and the PP to score goals and when they’re in the offensive zone it’s all about passing the puck back to the defence and hoping for a lucky bounce or deflecting to score. I’ve never been a fan of volume shooting because all it does is give the other teams goalie a higher Sv%. also it’s cheating with statistics to win hockey games.
    I would like to see the Oilers out work the other teams by cycling the puck and making plays in the offensive zone. However the problem with the Oilers is they don’t have any shooters and way too many playmakers. Even Puljujarvi is a playmaker.

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Wells made fantastic leg save with a few minutes left to preserve the victory:

20. OriginalPouzar says:

oscarmike:

The cycle game was great in game 1 agains the flames – not so much in the 2nd or 3rd games.

21. nibley says:

Hi Hunter, please put me down for 101 points. Thank you

22. GriffCity says:

OriginalPouzar,

Thats a fine way of looking at things, and you are correct, he does need to develop his game. I just dont understand the lack of hustle. If you are turning pucks over and floating back in the AHL what’s to think you wont be doing the same thing in the NHL? He should be down there working on good habits and busting his a$$ so hard that the Oilers have no choice but to call him up. there is no room for plays like that even at the AHL level. Bad turn over? Ok, forgivable but poor decision. Complete lack of hustle back after the turnover, leading to a goal against? Unacceptable.

23. stush18 says:

36 percent body fat:
    Edmonton_fan,

Drafting and development,

If the oilers had taken Carlo, this place would have collapsed onto itself.

Big slow dman, taken when forwards were available! What a bunch of idiots.

Damned if you do, yadayada

24. stush18 says:

Man I was real high on Markus N. massive dman that could skate good

Hope he figures it out.

25. russ99 says:

Eye injuries are scary. Hope Leon is OK.

The one thing about those clamoring for a Sekera LTIR, you need to have space to take him off of LTIR when he’s healthy. No NHL GM will make moves hoping we’ll find a way to get more space.

26. jfry says:

a little surprised you didn’t touch on the fact that the two mature second line players that we need even strength production from (nuge and lucic) are on the bottom of the shot production list. this is not good. count me as one how has not seen lucic good this year at all, which i feel puts me on an island by myself but the guy just has no urgency to get the puck to the net.

27. GMB3 says:

oscarmike:

Cheating with statistics? Mhmm. Hot take alert

28. GMB3 says:

jfry:

It’s commonly acknowledged here that Lucic has been a disappointment.

Probably Chia’s worst contract to date

29. McSorley33 says:

5×5 shots per 60 Forwards

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 4.62
    Milan Lucic 4.5
    Jujhar Khaira 0.0

*********************************************************************

I realize I am in the minority….but this does not surprise me.

Yes, it is early…..

30. Professor Q says:

GMB3: It’s commonly acknowledged here that Lucic has been a disappointment.

Probably Chia’s worst contract to date

Only by you and a few other nihilistic and pessimistic posters.

I wouldn’t say commonly except in terms of frequency.

31. digger50 says:

jfry:

I was hoping we could get Miles Wood, he has been looking as fast as ever for Jersey. Would love to add another speed demon.

And we could double shift him so he can push Lucic around the ice. Big Milan going at that speed would be a body you don’t want to get in front of.

Pitlick was fast as well. Anybody watched his game this year?

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Drai not practicing today – not good.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Maroon-McDavid-Yamamoto
    Lucic-RNH-Kassian
    Jokinen-Strome-Slepyshev
    Khaira-Letestu-Pakarinen

No Draisaitl. No Caggiula

34. Silver Streak says:

What caused the Drisaitle eye injury …….stick or puck ? or is it a non hockey ” stye ” type ?

35. linkfromhyrule says:

It’s pretty early to be making judgments on shot/60 numbers when most of the players haven’t actually played 60 minutes.

I’ve thought Lucic-RNH have looked decent, considering the # of right wingers they’ve had. Kassian is the only one who seemed like he could pull his weight on that line.

Chia’s decision to stand pat on both RW and RD is looking more and more egregious by the day. It looked like a bad decision on day one, looks even worse now.

IMO, Chia’s decision to rely on the youth and “internal growth” reminds me way too much of the Brain Trust of old. There is zero room for inertia in the NHL. There are always spots to improve, and I don’t think we can point to any position materially improved in the off-season. In fact, RW got significantly worse.

The sky isn’t falling (yet), but this team seems set to underachieve what it did last year. If this does indeed come to pass, Chia will have nobody to blame but himself. These risks were obvious to every one except the Oilers org.

They may be forced to make a move sooner than later if the injuries continue to pile up… Caggiula is now week to week, and if Drai is out for any length of time? Yikes

36. digger50 says:

Really hope he has not sustained a serious eye injury.
    Wish him full recovery.

As for our line up, we are one injury like this away from being out of the playoffs. Maybe that is a good discussion. If Connor, Leon or Talbot were out for the season, could this team make the playoffs?

37. linkfromhyrule says:

Oh, and if Chia’s idea of help after a few more losses is sending Yamo down and signing Chris Kelly, out come the torches and pitch forks.

38. Professor Q says:

I once was playing road hockey with my brother. We came to an impasse and both went for a slapshot at the same time, from opposite directions. My stick must have been angled ever so lower than his, and arrived ever so slower than his, as the puck was rocketed up its shaft and into my eye.

Now, the pain was manageable then, but still hurt. Until I was running inside and saw my reflection in the door. An egg about the size of my fist had consumed my eye! Then the pain, tears, regret, and self-consciousness came.

And it didn’t take much for that to occur! But I think Draisaitl should hopefully be fine by Saturday. Just sucks to miss a practice, but it’s not like playing with vision issues would help anyway (not to mention being unsafe; O’Ree and Berard notwithstanding).

39. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Professor Q: Only by you and a few other nihilistic and pessimistic posters.

I wouldn’t say commonly except in terms of frequency.

Lucic himself said he needed to be much better 5v5.

Both of those comments have a level of disappointment to them.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

digger50:
    Really hope he has not sustained a serious eye injury.
    Wish him full recovery.

Add Larsson or Klefbom to that list:

McDavid, Talbot, Larsson and/or Klef – devastating to the season

41. Cameron says:

hunter1909,

Hi Hunter,

Please put me down for 92pts

Thanks!

42. Professor Q says:

Woodguy v2.0: When asked to give Lucic a grade for his play last year Peter gave him a “6” and said he has more to give.

Lucic himself said he needed to be much better 5v5.

Both of those comments have a level of disappointment to them.

The implication that he’s been a complete disaster, which is what I took from the earlier post and the recurring pattern of posts, to me, is a bit untrue.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

linkfromhyrule:

I can’t imagine any person thinking that Kelly is the solution (or even part of the solution) to the problems we’ve been having, however, he is still hanging around and that is very troubling.

44. Pouzar says:

Bob Stauffer‏Verified account @Bob_Stauffer 2m2 minutes ago
    One thing noticeable from 3 straight days of practice.
    RNH has his quickness and more importantly smoothness back in his game.

45. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Bob Stauffer‏Verified account @Bob_Stauffer2m2 minutes ago
    One thing noticeable from 3 straight days of practice.
    RNH has his quickness and more importantly smoothness back in his game.

SmoothNuge.

46. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar:
    Bob Stauffer‏Verified account @Bob_Stauffer2m2 minutes ago
    One thing noticeable from 3 straight days of practice.
    RNH has his quickness and more importantly smoothness back in his game.

47. Ice Sage says:

Oilers – Damn your eyes!

Injuries and arrogance have them regressing to the meat… which is a good Rx for eye swelling, BTW

48. RexLibris says:

Cameron:
    hunter1909,

Hi Hunter,

Please put me down for 92pts

Thanks!

92 pts?

Postseason cutoff last year was 94 pts.

Subtle.

49. Pouzar says:

leadfarmer: So what you are saying he will be traded tomorrow for a failed Islanders prospect

If we are lucky.

Maybe we can get rid of the one we have and allocate those $$ towards keeping Nuge?

50. Pouzar says:

“aka WOODGUY”

How much steak can a man eat?

51. The Concept JDî says:

RexLibris,

I wish Cameroon the best of luck in the Hunter Death March.

52. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    “aka WOODGUY”

How much steak can a man eat?

I don’t think he’s maxed-out yet.

Although… http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/tick-bite-meat-allergy-spreading-spd/

53. GMB3 says:

Professor Q: Only by you and a few other nihilistic and pessimistic posters.

I wouldn’t say commonly except in terms of frequency.

Really? You’ve been impressed with Milan Lucic? Why has he been labelled a candidate for a bounce back year by the media then? Year two of a seven year six million dollar deal and the early returns are disappointing.

54. RexLibris says:

The Concept JDî,

My money is on Rwanda. 😉

55. delooper says:

Apparently leon’s injury was sustained during the Winnipeg game but I don’t know how exactly.

56. Woodguy v2.0 says:

I’m filling 10min for Bob at 1:35pm if anyone cares to listen.

57. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar:
    “aka WOODGUY”

How much steak can a man eat?

My other nickname is Bottomless Pete

58. Pouzar says:

Jack Michaels‏Verified account @EdmontonJack 58s58 seconds ago
    Draisaitl won’t play tomorrow.

59. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Professor Q: Yes, if we’re talking degrees, indeed. And there will always be things to improve. Yes, disappointment.

1.22 pts/60 5v5 in a top 6 role is close to disaster if it doesn’t improve.

He’s a perfect fit on PP1, but I don’t think he’s the only player who can play that role.

Also,

Bob just announced the Drai will not play tomorrow.

60. OriginalPouzar says:

Leon is officially out for tomorrow night’s game against OTT.

61. The Concept JDî says:

Pouzar: Draisaitl won’t play tomorrow.

Well Drat.

Good thing this guy is still around:

Bob Stauffer‏Verified account @Bob_Stauffer

One thing noticeable from 3 straight days of practice.
    RNH has his quickness and more importantly smoothness back in his game.
    10:28 AM – 13 Oct 2017

62. jtblack says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I am a Lucic fan and I would agree with both those statements. The worry is IF there is no recovery. We knew the backend of the deal had plenty of risk. But if Lucic is only average or below average in the 1st 3 yrs, its a major set back.

To me he seems to handle the puck like a grenade and has been a turnover machine. His best work is in tight to the net. Shot is decent but also misses the net a fair bit.

Guess we will get our answer about him over the next 20 games or so.

63. Cassandra says:

Last season, the only regular forwards Lucic was notably better than were Pouliot and Caggiula.

McDavid
    Draisatl,
    Eberle
    RNH
    Maroon
    Letestu
    Kassian

were all clearly better.

That isn’t Clarkson level disaster, but it is still terrible.

64. dustrock says:

Cassandra:

McDavid
    Draisatl,
    Eberle
    RNH
    Maroon
    Letestu
    Kassian

were all clearly better.

That isn’t Clarkson level disaster, but it is still terrible.

But the culture change, Cassandra. Oh, the sweet, sweet nectar of culture change.

65. Pouzar says:

Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty 9m9 minutes ago
    Draisaitl may have concussion issues along with sore eye

66. The Concept JDî says:

Pouzar: Draisaitl may have concussion issues along with sore eye

Any word on who’s wife he was caught with?

67. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty9m9 minutes ago
    Draisaitl may have concussion issues along with sore eye

Alright, who’s been bringing the negative waves?

We talked about this, people!

68. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty 16m16 minutes ago

Draisaitl may have concussion issues along with sore eye

69. OriginalPouzar says:

Matheson is saying that Drai might have concussion issues in addition to the eye.

70. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar,

He took a big open ice hit. I think it stems from that? Nobody saw him take a stick or puck to the eye; but we did see him button hook at the blueline and get laid out

71. Cassandra says:

dustrock: But the culture change, Cassandra.Oh, the sweet, sweet nectar of culture change.

You are right. I had forgotten that Lucic literally sits at the head of the table for team dinners.

Literally!

72. The Concept JDî says:

@LT: Thanks for the great ear worm today!

That song by Browne is perhaps one of the best pop songs of the 20th century. Great hook, interesting both musically and lyrically, and it led to some success for the young writer.

I broke this song down for my daughters a few years ago and asked them to study it for a song-writing project. They were really impressed and it led to my youngest building a playlist of similar songs from the 70s – all of which are top notch, in my opinion.

73. ashley says:

I thought the injury was beside the eye. Now it sounds like it was an injury in the eye?

74. The Concept JDî says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    I’m filling 10min for Bob at 1:35pm if anyone cares to listen.

I’ll be listening. I’m currently out with soreness in the neck – day to day.

Do we need to start a steak campaign for you on Twitter?

75. Cameron says:

RexLibris,

No credit for a smart bet against the herd?

IMO EDM has (occassionally glaring) weaknesses on D, and little solid depth beyond a handful of guys (McDavid, Talbot, Klefbom, Draisaitl, Larsson, Nuge). I think an injury here or there among those top 5 guys will be enough to sink playoff hopes.

That, a fall-off from Draisaitl, or an ill advised Nuge trade would also do it.

76. ashley says:

Cameron:
    RexLibris,

No credit for a smart bet against the herd?

That, a fall-off from Draisaitl, or an ill advised Nuge trade would also do it.

I’m still holding a candle for Nuge, my favourite Austin.

77. OriginalPouzar says:

ashley: From what I heard in the off season from everyone not named Chiarelli/McLellan, we are trading Nuge to keep Maroon.

I’m still holding a candle for Nuge, my favourite Austin.

Not everyone, not me.

78. Professor Q says:

I’m still holding a candle for Nuge, my favourite Austin.

I personally would love to keep Nuge. Especially if he keeps improving.

79. Pouzar says:

The Concept JDî: There’s a segment in the Eagles documentary, where one of them talks about living under Browne’s apartment in the early year. He would hear Browne’s kettle early in the morning, then the piano for a few hours, working on one part of a song, then the kettle for a break, and then the next part of the song. This continued for the entire day. It was then that the Eagles realized that song writing is hard work, and not just getting together to exchange some ideas and try to form something from that.

That was Glenn Frey. Awesome documentary.

80. Cameron says:

ashley,

Maybe weird to hear this from a Flames supporter, but I’m a longtime Nuge fan (as well as Hall, Klefbom, and Puljujarvi).

I think it will be a serious mistake for Edm to trade him, but it will make it a lot easier for me to cheer him on when it happens.

81. Pouzar says:

Cameron,

My List of Favorite Flames:

82. ashley says:

Professor Q: I thought it was to keep a D, Puljujärvi, and Talbot, with Maroon going to St. Louis?

I’m sure that was floated. I probably just remembered the idea that I liked the least.

83. ashley says:

Pouzar:
    Cameron,

My List of Favorite Flames:

Ha, and harsh. I would take Gio, Hamilton, Brodie, Monahan, and Johnny Hockey in a heartbeat. I also wish we picked Tkachuk. He looks great and already half way to being a veteran. Some of his classmates have yet to establish themselves.

84. HT Joe says:

ashley: Ha, and harsh.I would take Gio, Hamilton, Brodie, Monahan, and Johnny Hockey in a heartbeat.I also wish we picked Tkachuk.He looks great and already half way to being a veteran.Some of his classmates have yet to establish themselves.

Jagr for me… hands down. 😀
    Iginla in his prime was a player I loved watching, despite the jersey…
    And yes, holy hell, having Tkachuk instead of Jesse would be benefiting the Oilers right now (long term is still anyone’s guess, but short term, I don’t think anyone can reasonably argue this)

85. The Concept JDî says:

A twitterer is saying that Trouba hit Drai with a high hit, leading to this injury.

Anyone remember that? I scanned the game log on nhl.com and that event didn’t register.

86. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Cameron,

My List of Favorite Flames:

Not even Steve Smith and Grant Fuhr?

I’m still partial to Steve Staios, myself.

87. Side says:

The Concept JDî:

Oh yeah. I believe Trouba hit Drai in the open ice pretty hard which knocked Drai on his ass. There was a little replay of it and Quinn and Remenda were talking about it a bit.

88. Pouzar says:

ashley: Ha, and harsh.

Just joking with Cameron!

89. oilfan17 says:

jtblack:
    OriginalPouzar,

He took a big open ice hit. I think it stems from that?Nobody saw him take a stick or puck to the eye; but we did see him button hook at the blueline and get laid out

90. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Not even Steve Smith and Grant Fuhr?

I’m still partial to Steve Staios, myself.

Smid

*LT Spits*

91. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: Smid

*LT Spits*

Good pick.

92. The Concept JDî says:

oilfan17: high stick

I remember that, but it didn’t seem bad enough to lead to this. Possibly that and the Trouba hit?

93. GMB3 says:

HT Joe: Jagr for me… hands down.
    Iginla in his prime was a player I loved watching, despite the jersey…

Our secondary scoring would probably be a lot more prevalent with him at this day. For all the draft day knocks on his skating, his skating ability seems to keep him in the play a lot more at the NHL level.

94. The Concept JDî says:

2016 scouting lists that had Tkacooke ahead of JP:

95. Woodguy v2.0 says:

The Concept JDî: I’ll be listening. I’m currently out with soreness in the neck – day to day.

Do we need to start a steak campaign for you on Twitter?

Yes, please tag @Bob_Stauffer and mentioned my need for steak please.

Thank you in advance.

96. HT Joe says:

The Concept JDî:
    2016 scouting lists that had Tkacooke ahead of JP:

I guess I’m using hindsight… similar to everyone who is saying Yakupov shouldn’t have been picked 1st overall in 2012… 🙂

97. HT Joe says:

HT Joe,

And I DO like the nickname “Tkacooke” … well done!

98. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yes, please tag @Bob_Stauffer and mentioned my need for steak please.

Thank you in advance.

A reference to SSAC gets you free steak for life.

99. The Concept JDî says:

Found this nugget the other day when looking at the ’79 draft:

Boston GM Harry Sinden intended to select defenceman Keith Brown, but Brown was selected by the Chicago Blackhawks immediately prior to Boston’s selection. Panicking, the Bruins settled on Bourque, allegedly against their better judgment.[1]

Bourque was D-man of the year in the Q for both his pre-draft seasons, while all I can find on Brown was that he was known for his competitiveness.

Wow.

100. The Concept JDî says:

Side: Trouba hit Drai

101. digger50 says:

oilfan17: He took a high stick early in the Oilers third period power play. You can see him flinch. No call on the play.

Yup, I remember that. He flinched, touched his face with glove on, kept going. Sounds like it got him right in the eye, not around the eye.

102. Side says:

The Concept JDî: Bruce has a clip of that hit in his CoH piece today, and it really doesn’t look that bad, and it doesn’t look like he suffered any injury around the eye either.

103. Cameron says:

HT Joe,

In Cgy we call him ‘Byng’

104. Professor Q says:

Side: :42 of the video looks like Trouba’s elbow is on the side of Drai’s face. It wasn’t an “OH SHIT” hit, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the hit that gave Drai his ailments.

Ouch. Looked like a headshot to me. Or at least that was the initial point of contact.

Even worse to hear the commentators praising it as an awesome hit.

105. The Concept JDî says:

digger50: Sounds like it got him right in the eye, not around the eye.

Side: Trouba’s elbow is on the side of Drai’s face.

Above his shoulder anyway.

So two infractions, and no call on either. At least he wasn’t slashed on the hands.

106. jtblack says:

Pouzar,

Beautiful!

107. HT Joe says:

Cameron:
    HT Joe,

In Cgy we call him ‘Byng’

It’s great to finally hear a hockey nickname not derived from a player’s actual name. 🙂

108. HT Joe says:

BTW Cameron, you’re obviously an optimist. My entry into Hunter’s Death March was 88 points (I fear that the injury to Sekera and significant faith placed on Russel, Benning and Nurse was going to really hurt the Oilers this year)

109. Cameron says:

HT Joe,

Unless it is McDavid who gets injured I have trouble seeing the Oilers posting below 90 points.

110. Professor Q says:

Cameron:
    HT Joe,

Well imagine if they all go down and we’re icing an AHL like up?

I’m not sure us fans could Bear it all at that point.

111. Cameron says:

HT Joe: It’s great to finally hear a hockey nickname not derived from a player’s actual name.

Calgary has had a few that come to mind;

Al ‘Chopper’ MacInnis
    ‘Boring’ Sean Monahan
    Matt ‘Byng’ Tkachuk
    Doug ‘Killer’ Gilmour

None of which is as good as Pat ‘Little ball of hate’ Verbeek though, that is still the king

112. HT Joe says:

Cameron: However, if Rocketboots does pull up lame, there isn’t a floor to how far they could fall.

That’s because the basement isn’t a numbered floor…

113. The Concept JDî says:

Cameron: Killer

But nobody remembers Leeman’s nickname: Pumper.

114. The Concept JDî says:

Well this doesn’t look good:

115. frjohnk says:

The Concept JDî:
    Well this doesn’t look good:

Damn. That sucks.

Fantastic opportunity for someone to play on McDavids wing and make a mark.

I wonder if the Oilers are down in the 3rd period, will McClellan stack the first line by placing RNH with McDavid and Maroon.

116. jimmers2 says:

Trouba left his feet, eh? Just a little…

117. Professor Q says:

I had missed the game, but yeah.

Trouba is a repeat offender and known for high hits (this one seemed obvious, but not to the refs). The commentators even say that it’s a good hit because it had lots of pop and was “way up high”. Which seems counterintuitive but maybe it’s the NHL’s narrative now…

The worst part was Draisaitl slowly getting off the ice. Now he has an injured eye and a concussion. Bad break indeed.

118. The Concept JDî says:

jimmers2: Just a little…

Devorski was hired to coach the Jets on the new interpretation of the rules. I wonder if it went something like, “Forget the slash, but headshots and slewfooting are going to go pretty much uncalled, as the refs stare at the sticks.”

Between that Nucks game and the Jets game, this tough Oiler team seems to have been taken advantage of.

119. Chachi says:

Cameron:
    HT Joe,

I wish no harm to any Flames player this year. I hope they all play the full 82 game schedule. Best of luck to the Flames this year.

120. dustrock says:

jimmers2:
    Trouba left his feet, eh?Just a little…

Why wouldn’t they ask the NHL to suspend him?

121. pts2pndr says:

It would appear that the “oiler fans lions ” are hungry almost in a feeding frenzy so to speak! To change the focus I would humbly submit the following for your thoughts.
    To play in the NHL today an individual requires the three skills with a value rating for which I will use 1 thru 3 with 1 being below average NHL level 2 being NHL level and 3 being above NHL level to Elite. I will go so far as to say that 9 would indicate a player such as Connor or Sid. To become an NHL player requires a minimum score of six which would equate to a fourth line or short term NHL player.
    The Three skills/talents are
    1. Hockey IQ
    2 . Skating
    3. Size

By my limited research while there are outliers this appears to be a reasonable formula.
    I will further submit that by this formula, Yamamoto would score a six which equates to a fourth line or short term NHL player. While everyone notes his 5 goals in pre season no one mentions his five minors for hooking! His hooking penalties are due lack of skating speed not due to effort! His skating is NHL level but it has to be better than that to make up for his lack of size, even allowing for above average Hockey IQ.

122. Woodguy v2.0 says:

The Concept JDî:

123. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Woodguy v2.0: twitter link to a screen shot: https://twitter.com/nmcmeckan/status/918923465289211904

aaaaand now that I read the thread I see its been posted.

I blame Chachi

124. The Concept JDî says:

Woodguy v2.0: I blame Chachi

Works for me.

125. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: aaaaand now that I read the thread I see its been posted.

I blame Chachi

Me too!

126. Woodguy v2.0 says:

The Concept JDî,

Chachi,

Well that’s close enough to quorum for me.