Sing, Sing, Sing!

The absence of alternatives clears the mind. Leon Draisaitl is injured and will not play tomorrow night against the Ottawa Senators. That’s a kick in pants for the Oilers and represents another obstacle for the team in early days 2017-18. These are challenging times, and call for toughness of spirit and acts of bravery. A little verbal inspiration may also help. The British are fantastic at the verbal, “Stiff upper lip!” and “Tally ho and all that rot!” along with “pip pip” and the collected radio works of Winston Churchill (bugger brought in the ratings big time). The music back then (Churchill) had a ‘can do’ spirit that got toes tapping and work done in double time, as reflected by the song that serves as inspiration for this post’s title. My God, Harry James, you madman!

PROJECTED ROSTER TOMORROW NIGHT

• Patrick Maroon—Connor McDavid—Kailer Yamamoto
  • Milan Lucic—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Zack Kassian
  • Jussi Jokinen—Ryan Strome—Anton Slepyshev
  • Jujhar Khaira—Mark Letestu—Iiro Pakarinen
  • Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
  • Darnell Nurse—Kris Russell
  • Yohann Auvitu—Eric Gryba
  • Matt Benning
  • Cam Talbot (Laurent Brossoit)

Life without Leon isn’t going to be as much fun, so hopefully we see a surge in performance from the men who have NHL experience. Unfair to expect a young player to step up (although it is welcome), but I think expecting more from the veterans (Maroon, Lucic, Nuge, Kassian, Jokinen, Strome, Letestu) up front is reasonable. Connor McDavid is on his own planet and we can assume he’ll bring the goods (the Senators will focus on him for sure but 97 will  have last change and the RW’s will be rotating until chemistry is found).

DRASTIC ACTION

It’s damned risky asking Yamamoto to carry the load, so Todd McLellan may have to check down. To WHO? Well, Mark Letestu, at 5×5 this season, has 15.38 shots per 60. If Edmonton has to run three lines during the game—and my goodness it’s possible—perhaps Letestu could be the man who slides onto the line in Yamamoto’s spot. That said, Yamamoto’s 5×5/60 shots so far this year is 13.64 and that’s damned good.

WHAT ABOUT SCORING CHANCES?

NaturalStatTrick has a stat called “5×5 Individual High-Danger Scoring Chances per 60” I used a year ago for a time, thought we’d try it again this season (all year if you like, we’ll also draw in some Puck IQ stuff as it comes available).

1. Anton Slepyshev 11.03
  2. Mark Letestu 7.69
  3. Connor McDavid 7.49
  4. Leon Draisaitl 6.74
  5. Drake Caggiula 6.29
  6. Iiro Pakarinen 5.56
  7. Patrick Maroon 5.35
  8. Zack Kassian 4.8
  9. Kailer Yamamoto 3.4
  10. RNH 3.08
  11. Milan Lucic 3.00
  12. Ryan Strome 1.82

This is going to be interesting. If you pluck out the  RW’s (orange) in tomorrow night’s game, perhaps Anton Slepyshev is the correct answer. If you look at other options, Letestu and the two injured forwards come into view. It’s a mess. Edmonton plays tomorrow, then Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. I’m fascinated to see what Todd McLellan plans on trying, and interested in seeing how patient Peter Chiarelli will be if the challenge becomes longer term (Draisaitl’s malady).

65 Responses to "Sing, Sing, Sing!"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m actually fine with the forward lines and they provide me with some hope for the season on the assumption that Nuge is able to continue playing the way he has at 2C.

Add in Drail for Yammoto and Drake for Pakarinan or Khaira and those forward lines are looking pretty good.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Tomorrow is probably a good game for Drai to sit as the only chance they really have to win is if Talbot steals it for them.

I mean, how is a team supposed to play a good and structured hockey game in the 2nd pairing has no ability to transition the puck via pass (Nurse can transition the puck via skating and Russell can’t transition the puck on the right side) and the incumbent 3RD is being scratched in favor of the 7D who is already playing too many games in a row, is struggling and have proven to only really be effective when being spot started for a couple of games?????

3. The Concept JDî says:

Keep Calm and Connor On.

4. The Concept JDî says:

OriginalPouzar: the only chance they really have to win is if Talbot steals it for them.

It’s the 2nd of back to back games for the Sens, so there’s a little more hope.

5. Professor Q says:

Kassian with Nuge. Verrrrry very interesting.

6. jtblack says:

The Concept JDî,

Does anyone of their record from last year when they played a team on the 2nd of B2B? I happened to go to game e when an injury riddled Sabres team came in after playing Cgy the night before. Prob was Oilers worst game of the yr.

Also, all teams coming off long breaks did not fair well in their 1st game back.

Now Go Get ’em Boyz!

7. OriginalPouzar says:

The Concept JDî: It’s the 2nd of back to back games for the Sens, so there’s a little more hope.

Condon is starting tonight so we likely get Anderson.

The Sens will be in game form and the Oilers haven’t played a game in almost a week – not sure the advantage is the Oilers.

Its doesn’t really matter though, I know I’m overly-catastrophizing but those d-pairs are awful to me and really really will make it tough to win.

I guess I hope the top pairing plays close to 30 minutes tomorrow night which likely reduces their effectiveness (and Klef has been uneven to start with) and increases their chance of injury).

8. Frank the dog says:

My 99 point forecast for Hunter’s death march just went from pessimistic to optomistic.

Perhaps they all pull their fingers out, play as a team and pleasantly surprise us with a nail biting win!

9. OriginalPouzar says:

New information says Anderson is starting tonight so we are likely to get Condon.

10. The Concept JDî says:

jtblack: Does anyone of their record from last year when they played a team on the 2nd of B2B?

OriginalPouzar:

Or get b2b Anderson, because anything is probably better than Condon.

11. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March™ closes tomorrow for new entries…

Here’s how you play: Pick the exact number of points you think the Oilers will have at the end of the season.

Last chance to enter is puck drop Saturday.

jtblack:
    The Concept JDî,

Does anyone of their record from last year when they played a team on the 2nd of B2B? I happened to go to game e when an injury riddled Sabres team came in after playing Cgy the night before.Prob was Oilers worst game of the yr.

Now Go Get ’em Boyz!

It wasn’t Calgary the night before the Sabres.

13. RexLibris says:

Tomorrow’s game is the first one I’ll be watching for the officiating review this season. Sens typically get away with a fair bit (anyone remember Karlsson’s half-nelson on McDavid in the corner last season?) and add to that that I can’t recall the last time the Oilers got a good result at home against the Sens.

Tonight’s NYR/CLB game will also be reviewed as part of the control group.

Eventually I’m going to have to review a Minnesota game and I hate myself because of it.

14. Crazy Pedestrian says:

hunter1909,

Hey hunter… Put me down for 98 points please…

15. The Concept JDî says:

Crazy Pedestrian: I thought about guessing in the mid 100’s, but injuries and weird lineup decisions have me changing my mind…

16. hunter1909 says:

Methinks they figure out the team by Christmas. It’s not Lowe+MacT’s culture of myopia/neglect anymore.

Me also thinks the next 2.25 months will be “interesting”.

Like being evacuated by He 111, from Tatsinskaya Airfield, in December 1942.

Graham McPhee scores his first for Boston College.

Tyler Vesel 1-1-2 so far for Omaha.

19. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar:

20. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Guy Boucher starts Anderson in all kinds of spots that math says he shouldn’t.

I’d bet on Anderson until the morning skate.

Especially seeing as they don’t play until Tuesday after tomorrow.

21. Woodguy v2.0 says:

The Concept JDî: If I recall, it didn’t help much. But there’s little else to look at for an advantage.

Or get b2b Anderson, because anything is probably better than Condon.

This is also good information.

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

The Concept JDî: And that this year would be an uncanny time for any team to score around 150 points.

*nods in agreement while getting ice*

23. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: OTT without Karlsson coming off a game vs CGY the night before is the easiest matchup in the NHL.

To be clear, I’m fine with Darnell as 2LD with a solid RD anchor – we have one, Adam Larsson.

24. Silver Streak says:

OriginalPouzar: Easier than playing against a 2nd pairing anchored by Kris Russell on the right side and Darnell Nurse on the left?

25. Silver Streak says:

Hey Pouzar…..maybe we should just mail them the 2 points ! Save the wear and tear on the only Good D man we have in Larson…..what would you have done last summer in Chiarelli`s shoes…. sign Shatenkirk ? or some other Dinosaur ? remember our Cap space is limited…..and not much available on a one year deal. Im with WoodGuy….the Flames will play it tough tonight…..Oil will be fine.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Silver Streak:
    Hey Pouzar…..maybe we should just mail them the 2 points !Save the wear and tear on the only Good D man we have in Larson…..what would you have done last summer in Chiarelli`s shoes…. sign Shatenkirk ?or some other Dinosaur ?remember our Cap space is limited…..and not much available on a one year deal.Im with WoodGuy….the Flames will play it tough tonight…..Oil will be fine.

1) I have admitted I’m being overly-catastrophic

2) My issue right now is with the coach and his structuring of the pairings, not with the general manager

3) if we do want to speak about the GM, I have defended him on here within the last 24 hours when he’s been accused of “sitting on his hands all summer”. I can’t tell you what he should have done as I’m sure he tried extremely hard to upgrade the 2nd pairing – its tough to make trades in the NHL in the cap era. Further, I fully acknowledge the need to keep draft picks due to our cap situation going forward.

At the same time, the GM was very express at the end of last year re: needing to improve the defence because they weren’t good enough to compete with the defensive groups of NSH and ANA. He failed in his express task – partially because he used his newly found cap space from the Eberle trade and re-signed Russell to a contract where he lost on term, cap hit and trade protection – 0 for 3.

The GM has put the coach in the position where we have an issue on the backend. Coach is in a tough position, however, I feel the coach has made a very bad decision this week on structuring the back-end, I think it makes us a materially worse team and makes it tough to win games.

I know I’m being overly-catastrophic and I sure hope I am wrong.

27. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar,

– Great post LT!

– Hmmm. I’m in Boston, 10th anniversary celebration. Talked sports with whoever wants to here. My wife, she just enjoys the friendly banter as we get drunk, god bless her:

The Boston fans, they are an informed, critical, reasoned base (like way better than being in Toronto, man it sucks trying to talk sport to someone in “Go Leafs Go” Land:

– “Bosox, weakest team to win a division in a long time” – Kinger agrees
    – “Celtics: they gave up too much, and aren’t going to win anyways” – Kinger agrees
    – “Tom Brady and Bellichek are genius, but unless their D get better they are done” Ibid
    – ” Your Blue Jays, they are in trouble for many years unless they agree to bottom out” – yup

Anyway, Bostonians are awesome sports fans.. The one thing they say about Chia: “yeah, he gave up too much, and look what he left us”. Hmmmm..

– They talked about the “early exit” of the Bosox. Jays radio would be talking about attendance, ratings, budget next year, building on last year…

– p.s. My dear wife is passed out after an awesome day, so I’m not taking time away!

– It’s McD who has to make Chia as smart as Slats was with 99…

28. The Concept JDî says:

Hmm… Sens/ Flames, or the new Blade Runner. Well at least the Sens scored, but I’ll give BR until the intermission is over.

29. Munny says:

The Concept JDî:

30. Professor Q says:

Munny: It’s the best Hollywood new release I’ve seen since Inception… might even be better, won’t know till I’ve ingested it a few times. Going again this weekend!

I’m not going to lie, I can’t seem to get into Blade Runner series.

The first movie has always put me to sleep and I’ve never finished, and the long, drawn out, quiet, building-sound scenes of forced suspense in the sequel didn’t do itself any favours (only in my opinion). Movies that have contrasting long sequences of quiet and loudness without much dialogue.

The ties to the Alien and Predator franchises do make it interesting, however. And I do get the commentary on humans losing their souls and being robotic and ruthless while their robotic and genetic creations become increasingly human and experience the human conditions, despite this not being desired. Very intriguing but the execution didn’t do it for me.

31. The Concept JDî says:

Professor Q: Very intriguing but the execution didn’t do it for me.

I’m in this camp, although I’m not surprised that they opted for the continuity of style in the sequel.

32. The Concept JDî says:

Eric Stephens‏Verified account @icemancometh

This is Berra’s debut with the Ducks. We’ll try to get something on Gibson. Meanwhile, MacKinnon has an eye injury and won’t return.

Dang.

33. deardylan says:

Some of it’s magic, some of it’s tragic
    But I had a good life all the way

Some of it’s magic:

6. Condors Just Won – Jesse get another point
    5. Yamamoto with McDavid on 1st line (just drafted a few month ago!)
    4. Sekera’s return is one day closer.
    3. Oilers 5th in defence based on +/-
    2. Oilers only a couple of points out of playoff spot with 70+ games to play.
    1. McDavid is in OUR lineup

Its a good life all the way!!

34. Munny says:

Professor Q,

Dude, I can get into Tarkovsky and Greenaway. Blade Runner is a lark.

35. Munny says:

The Concept JDî,

Not every movie can be Animal House, you know. Just sayin. It’s a high bar. So to speak. On both “high” and “bar”…

So sorry for the lawyer jokes.

36. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

The Concept JDî,

– I’d love to know what you think of new Blade Runner. I loved the original movie. I found the visuals in this new one amazing, but way too much sad techno music, zoom in angles on our new canuck blade runner who seems sad. Like it was building up to something great, but got stuck on Logan’s Run,and never delivered. Tough to follow up and Villeneuve got the tone right for sure, but not the plot…

* Munny – just read yours: I left feeling empty. Inception though, that was a captivating movie, original, inticing: interesting we can agree on that, but not Blade Runner…

37. Lloyd B. says:

What an incredible statistic. The Yankees are playing their 386th post season game and have only been shut out twice. Absolutely incredible.

38. LMHF#1 says:

Lloyd B.:
    What an incredible statistic.The Yankees are playing their 386th post season game and have only been shut out twice.Absolutely incredible.

That’s only 2 times in a playoff year twice.

39. Lloyd B. says:

And now it’s 387. I can hate the Yankees all I want but I do respect the organisation.

40. Pouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    OriginalPouzar,

– Great post LT!

– Hmmm. I’m in Boston, 10th anniversary celebration.Talked sports with whoever wants to here.My wife, she just enjoys the friendly banter as we get drunk, god bless her:

–“Bosox, weakest team to win a division in a long time” – Kinger agrees
    – “Tom Brady and Bellichek are genius, but unless their D get better they are done”Ibid

Anyway, Bostonians are awesome sports fans..The one thing they say about Chia: “yeah, he gave up too much, and look what he left us”. Hmmmm..

– They talked about the “early exit” of the Bosox.Jays radio would be talking about attendance, ratings, budget next year, building on last year…

– It’s McD who has to make Chia as smart as Slats was with 99…

41. Lloyd B. says:

LMHF#1: That’s only 2 times in a playoff year twice.

Thanks for that. It seemed unbelievable.

42. RexLibris says:

Just clicked on TSN to see the score in the Flames/Sens game.

6-0 final.

Tonight, and maybe only tonight, I will say “thank you, Ottawa”.

43. RexLibris says:

Little known fact, that title used to belong to “Calgary Flames playing in the Honda center”.

44. Professor Q says:

Lloyd B.:

Cleveland has the record for postseason shutouts. I think it might be 6 or 7?

But anyway, the Yankees have most definitely been shutout in the postseason more than twice. They were shutout in the playoffs this year, 2015, 1949, and who knows when else?

45. Professor Q says:

Ovechkin is scoring at will this season.

McDavid has a long way to go before he scores 100 goals in a season, or even get near OV…

46. The Concept JDî says:

Munny: Not every movie can be Animal House

Not quite sure what to say to that, other than fuck your assumptions.

Truth is I don’t like most main stream movies, and like the original BR, found this one rather self indulgent and slow. Perhaps there is more to this movie than I can glean from it, and perhaps I don’t care.

Give me movies like The Big Short, or To Kill The Messenger, or even Men Who Stare At Goats. Add to that TV series such as True Detective, Mr Robot, Breaking Bad, or The Sopranos.

But if I have to snort lines of instant coffee to make it through a movie, I don’t assume that I’m the problem.

47. Nuclear leak says:

Pouzar: They are informed about baseball but they don’t shit about Basketball. Kyrie is a stud and will be a monster in Steven’s ball movement system. He hasn’t even entered his prime yet.

Celtics will be lucky to get home court in the first round.

48. Chachi says:

The Concept JDî: Not quite sure what to say to that, other than fuck your assumptions.

49. digger50 says:

Chachi: I only watch films (“movies” are for the hoi polloi) starring Bruno Ponce-Jones and Francesca Fiore. Everything else is crap.

Chachi, I thought you were going to list the Fonze. Come on, movies are fun. Films are like a trip to the dentist.

50. Lloyd B. says:

As a card carrying member of the hoi polloi you are saying that movies such as:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,
    The Sting,
    Inception,
    Avatar,
    Lord of the Rings trilogy (or sextet)
    Silence of the Lambs,
    Shawshank Redemption,

Just to name a few are crap?

Hmmm. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

51. who says:

OriginalPouzar:

How about we let Nurse and Russell play a game together before we slit our wrists. They may be awful tomorrow night or, who knows, they may be good.
    We can analyze them to death tomorrow night.

52. Pescador says:

Lloyd B.: As a card carrying member of the hoi polloi you are saying that movies such as:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,
    The Sting,
    Inception,
    Avatar,
    Lord of the Rings trilogy (or sextet)
    Silence of the Lambs,
    Shawshank Redemption,

Just to name a few are crap?

Hmmm. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Usual Suspects is on right now,
    I like foreign films too,
    Snatch & Lock Stock come to mind 😀

53. Chachi says:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,
    The Sting,
    Inception,
    Avatar,
    Lord of the Rings trilogy (or sextet)
    Silence of the Lambs,
    Shawshank Redemption,

Just to name a few are crap?

Hmmm. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, – Horse Crap
    The Sting, – Crap and a Caper
    Inception, – Crap inside of Crap inside of Crap
    Avatar, – Blue Crap (Great art direction, but “unobtainium”? Pffffffft)
    Lord of the Rings trilogy (or sextet) – Crap Game Of Thrones without boobs
    Silence of the Lambs, – Crap served with a nice chianti and some fava beans.
    Shawshank Redemption, – Literally crawling with Crap.

Also, these are great movies and you have to look up Bruno Ponce-Jones and Francesca Fiore. Actually quite surprised no one is getting the reference.

54. Chachi says:

digger50: Films are like a trip to the dentist.

Especially Little Shop of Horrors.

55. Lloyd B. says:

Chachi,
    Great reply !! LOL

I did look up your suggestion and it is complicated. Dont get the reference. Its late. Good night.

56. OmJo says:

Senators coming to Edmonton following a 6-0 ‘shellacking’ of the Flames.

Yikes.

Those bottom 2 D pairings are like an early Christmas gift to the Sens.

Prove me wrong Oilers.

57. OmJo says:

Connor McDavid is on his own planet and we can assume he’ll bring the goods (the Senators will focus on him for sure but 97 will have last change and the RW’s will be rotating until chemistry is found).
    __________________

If TMac decides to take advantage of last change.

Prove me wrong, TMac.

Silver Streak:

Hainsey (who played 1st pairing with Dumoulin in the playoffs on the Stanley Cup champion) and is playing 1st pairing in Toronto with Rielly signed for 2 years at $3 million per season. With previous experience playing with Sekera in Carolina.

The Concept JDî:

The new Blade Runner is a worthy sequel.

60. Pescador says:

61. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo:
    Senators coming to Edmonton following a 6-0 ‘shellacking’ of the Flames.

Yikes.

Those bottom 2 D pairings are like an early Christmas gift to the Sens.

Prove me wrong Oilers.

Prove us wrong Oilers.

62. OriginalPouzar says:

Game Day!

Finally – it’s been a long week stewing in the filth of the last two games.

Hope the players feel the same.

63. jake70 says:

Went to a 10pm viewing of Blade Runner, probably not the best idea for a 3 hr movie unless a caffeinated drink before or a pre-film nap. Have had a few people ask me what I thought – my answer each time is I have to see it again, just wasn’t sure. Have to get the first film out of my head, hard when you’ve seen the different cuts of it ++ times.

64. Pouzar says:

Nuclear leak: Celtics will be lucky to get home court in the first round.

Pretty funny stuff. I will be writing this one down. Bet?

65. Munny says:

Animal House was really just the first movie that came to mind that worked with “high” and “bar”. Wasn’t a comment on you. Hope it wasn’t taken that way.

I am surprised though that you find the recent BR tedious. The theatre I was in seemed quite absorbed and the group I was with was blown away. But certainly movies of that length are tough to digest. I usually avoid them in the theatre myself, and save them for home and the pause button. But I wasn’t going to pass on seeing this on the big screen, and personally felt it was worth it.

To each their own, obviously. It’s just like music… tastes vary.