Brad Malone gets the Call

The Edmonton Oilers recalled Brad Malone from Bakersfield this afternoon, Drake Caggiula going on IR (he is rapidly becoming an injury worry). I suggested during the RE series that this might be a recall option. He has been the No. 1 center in Bakersfield and the team’s leading scorer. Although he is a center, he’d have no problems moving to wing and does have penalty-killing experience in the NHL. Here’s what I wrote during the RE:

• What role will Malone apply for? Malone would be 14F, No. 5 center and a penalty killing option with a physical presence.
  • Does he have a real chance? I think Malone has an excellent chance to play in the NHL this season, probably less than 50 percent to make the opening night roster, and I don’t think he’ll keep the job for a long stretch of the season.
  • What makes him attractive for this roster? Malone has some good numbers on the PK, leading the Hurricanes in 2015-16 with 35.80 Shots-against per 60. He was not effective in the previous season. Small sample size alert on both occasions.
  • What will his role be in Bakersfield? Condors don’t have a lot in the way of centermen, so Malone should get a prominent place. Offensively he’s more suited to a checking role, even in the AHL.
  • What one thing will get him to the NHL? The PK option is intriguing. I have the Oilers with regulars Nuge, Letestu, McDavid, Caggiula, Jokinen, Kassian among what might be the top 12F. Some of those men were not outstanding in that role a year ago. Malone might be the seventh option out of camp and that could get him a job.
  • What will keep him from getting an NHL look? Numbers, goals for. In terms of getting into the lineup, there are 12 men who are going to be ahead of him and that means pressbox unless injury or a struggling PK. I think Jujhar Khaira has the edge but that’s only on paper. Malone’s path to an NHL job is narrow, but PK, faceoffs and being able to sit for a week at a time do have value.
  • How many players can he reasonably be expected to pass in one winter? I don’t think he’s going to pass anyone, but could complement the group. The key advantage Malone has is that he’s a center. Edmonton’s depth chart is impressive (McDavid, Draisaitl/Strome, Nuge, Letestu) but there are still enough chores to warrant a 5C.

26 Responses to "Brad Malone gets the Call"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I agree with the choice.

I’m sure quite a few would have chosen Jesse though.

The following is just my opinion.

He wasn’t ready for an NHL scoring role 10 days ago and I don’t think he is ready after only 3 AHL games.

He’s had some wobble in his 3 games – a very bad giveaway in his 2nd game that led to a 3 on 1 against. That’s fine, those mistakes will happen and the player learns from them but, if he did that in the NHL, it would be bad – he needs to learn from those mistakes in the AHL. Not to mention, after he gave that puck away, he was extremely lazy on the backcheck – had the opportunity to skate back hard and break up the play but didn’t and a goal was scored against.

This isn’t a slag of Jesse, just my opinion that he needs more time. He remains an extremely important prospect for the organization with an unknown (but high) ceiling. He deserves the opportunity and privilege to be developed in the proper league. The worst thing we could do is yo-yo him this year. I would like 10 games straight at a minimum in Bakersfield and then evaluate a potential call-up.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Hopefully he is able to help in the PK area and maybe even faceoffs – Chris Kelly still has a stall in the dressing room with his name on it and is a concern.

Who is going to center Jesse down in Bakersfield now? Hamilton? Currie.

How I miss Anton Lander.

3. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar,

I do to. When you needed someone to not score a goal Lander delivered

4. mit167 says:

Not that Chia or Todd are checking in here regularly for line up tips… But

RNH. McD Kassian
    Lucic Strome Slepy
    Maroon Letestu Yamamoto
    Khaira Malone Paki

Oof… doesn’t look like a slump buster lineup.

5. flyfish1168 says:

mit167:
    Not that Chia or Todd are checking in here regularly for line up tips… But

RNH. McD Kassian
    Lucic Strome Slepy
    Maroon Letestu Yamamoto
    Khaira Malone Paki

Oof… doesn’t look like a slump buster lineup.

I like the idea of Lucic-McDavid -Strome

Need to get Strome going. If he scores his 1st maybe he will feel better.

6. Woodguy v2.0 says:

LT,

Interesting news from Pronman on twitter:

We did it guys and gals, all 3 CHL leagues are reliably publishing shots on goal stats for players.

The next frontier: Ice time.

Woodguy v2.0:
    LT,

Interesting news from Pronman on twitter:

The next frontier: Ice time.

Huzzah!

8. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: Huzzah!

Small woot. Would be bigger if the Oil were 3-1.

9. smellyglove says:

LT, I notice in your banner logo that you’ve been part of the Oilogosphere since 2007. When did you officially start? That’s TEN years ago. We should have an anniversary party.

smellyglove:

I actually started the blog in 2005, but this incarnation began in May 2007.

11. Woogie63 says:

I saw the Hitman v. Hurricane game this afternoon, our man Skinner looked really awkward on the first Hitmen goal. After that he shut the door, best player on either team. He is a big kid and would block the sun in most rooms.

12. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: I actually started the blog in 2005, but this incarnation began in May 2007.

13. Silver Streak says:

Vegas placed another forward on I R today…..timing may be perfect for that for that Kaira for 2RD

14. PerryK says:

Professor Q: I was there! I remember it well. What a time and group to be growing up in and joining social media for me (still growing up, however).

Me too! LT used to talk about being on the HF boards. Almost turned me off! It has been a very refreshing place to visit daily for all of that time.

Voice of sanity in a cacophony of craziness. Thank you LT. Another 12 years please!

15. stush18 says:

I think I would would have brought up rattie instead of Malone.

16. flyfish1168 says:

Silver Streak:
    Vegas placedanother forward on I R today…..timing may be perfect for thatfor thatKaira for 2RD

I think Colin Miller is their only RH dman. Don’t think Kaira alone will get it done.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

stush18:
    I think I would would have brought up rattie instead of Malone.

Rattie did very little during camp, exhibition or in the first few AHL games.

18. mit167 says:

flyfish1168,

Everyone needs to get going… I was just thinking that with RNH and Kassian both playing with McD they might have the boots to atleast be in the picture when 97 starts scoring.

19. deardylan says:

That sinking feeling I get right now reminds me of a Bruce Springsteen song…”Ghost of Tom Joad” You know this one?

Bruce sings

“Waiting when the last shall become first and the first shall be last”

Its arrived…

Vegas near the top (predicted to be last)
    Oilers near the bottom (predicted to be first)

70+ games to go so the Oilers highway is still alive tonight

After the song and seeing our lineups potential I feel there is lots of hope and GLORY DAYS ahead!

20. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar: Rattie did very little during camp, exhibition or in the first few AHL games.

He played mostly AHL linemates.

He has a solid history of pro and junior scoring. I think he would be a better callup.

We’re missing scoring. Not grit on the fourth line

21. StixMalone says:

Malone is the best choice. But then again I’m pretty biased…….

22. Bruce McCurdy says:

deardylan:
    That sinking feeling I get right now reminds me of a Bruce Springsteen song…”Ghost of Tom Joad”You know this one?

Bruce sings

“Waiting when the last shall become first and the first shall be last”

Its arrived…

Vegas near the top (predicted to be last)
    Oilers near the bottom(predicted to be first)

70+ games to go so the Oilers highway is still alive tonight

More than just a Springsteen song. It’s a quote attributed to Jesus in at least three of the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke).

E.g. “So the first shall be last, and the last first.” — Matthew 20:16.

Maybe the lyric can be attributed to Bruce Almighty.

23. Gret99zky says:

deardylan,

Can’t start a fire. Can’t start a fire without a spark.

24. Lewis Grant says:

Me too! I remember well following the 2006 SCF run here and at Covered In Oil and at Dellow and at IOF and at Black Dog. Before big media gobbled up blogs. This seems to be the last outpost of independent media.

On another note, Oilers are currently first in the League in Corsi, and second in Corsi close, Fenwick, Scoring Chances, and High Danger Scoring Chances. I think LT’s characteristic calmness and moderation are justified in this case.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m happy that the possession and shot metrics are looking so good now and that a large part of the early troubles is likely due to PDO (Talbot will clearly get better and we are shooting like 3.3% at even).

With that said, my faith in such stats in a small sample size is mitigated a bit by the eye test – I see the defensive wobble giving rise to high end scoring chances (can’t clear the puck, own zone turnovers, lots of fast breaks against) which has Talbot’s save percentage low. I also see the Oilers with lots of shots from the outside and very few second opportunities, little sustained pressure, etc. I think the HDSC% does favor the Oilers but that doesn’t match my eye test.

The stats are favorable but my eyes tell me they simply aren’t playing that well. There are also score effects plus the effect of the 1 game they did play well where they absolutely dominated all the advanced metrics likely skewing the overall results in such a small sample size.

It’ll turn around but it needs to happen soon.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

I look forward to seeing Benning back in the lineup tomorrow. Hopefully we see this:

Klef/Larsson
    Nurse/Benning
    Russell/Gryba

We know I’d like that first pair split (change Larsson and Benning to give each youngster an “anchor” but its just not going to happen I don’t think.

The above pairings won’t happen either as our coach won’t give Russell 3rd pairing ES minutes but I can still hope.