The Nazz are Blue

Saturday night was no fun but that’s one game and the big story is the big man from Cologne. Those gorgeous backhands come after a giant brain rifles instructions down the motor mile. Right now Mr. Draisaitl’s brain is addled. Get well soon, Leon! An enjoyable winter in the land of the ice and snow depend on it! Please, baby Jesus, bring Leon back to perfect health soon! I can’t wait to see that wry smile after a flukey goal again.

BRAD MALONE

Why did they call up Brad Malone? Suspect it’s because the club wants Jesse Puljujarvi to be a driving force in the AHL before he returns. JP has two assists in three games and a gigantic bonus that is burning off daily in the California sun. Malone has a chance too, if we see him getting PK time in practice, maybe he makes a game later in the week or early next.

THE NAZZ ARE BLUE

• The Oilers possession numbers are off the rails, I’ll have Corsi and such tomorrow but wanted to run scoring chances this time for a specific reason.
  • Darnell Nurse is going to be an interesting player to track this season. I’m no expert on defensemen but have been watching them for decades. The young ones will drive you crazy and are probably the main cause of crazy coaches worldwide. Many in the Oilogosphere are pretty sure Darnell Nurse won’t reach a high ceiling, and a pretty big line in the sand is coming. Nurse will likely pass the 200 NHL GP (playoffs included) mark this year and that should mean more success and more responsibility. How will he handle it? We’ll see.
  • This is a very young group of defensemen, if Nurse plus Benning turn out (along with Klefbom and Larsson) we could be watching this set for many years to come.
  • All of these numbers are brilliant and yet the team is 1-3-0. Shiza happens, and the shooting percentages are having their way and giggling like idiots. Would you rather be hammering in possession or be 3-1-0? Heh. It is to laugh.
  • Source

THE NAZZ ARE BLUE 2010

After four games in 2010, I had a look at even-strength scoring chances for and against, with the following results.

• The Oilers had fewer events 5×5 after four games back in 2010 and of course only two men over 50 percent in chances.
  • Tom Gilbert was a fine defender for 655 NHL games, almost 400 as an Oiler. He is playing in Nuremberg of the German League this season. I wonder if Spencer Tracy is a judge there.
  • Ladislav Smid was a fine defender for 583 NHL games, over 480 as an Oiler. He is playing for Liberec Bili Tygri of the Czech League this year. That’s the hometown of Petr Nedved, who is still playing hockey with the same team as Smid.
  • Ryan Whitney was probably the best defender on the team when healthy, he played in just 481 NHL games and had his career cut short due to injury. He’s a pretty clever bugger and an emerging broadcaster/writer, worthwhile follow on twitter.
  • Theo Peckham played 160 NHL games, I swear he had a chance to have a long career. Jim Vandermeer played 461 NHL games and is playing for the Belfast Giants in 2017-18, and Kurtis Foster played 405 NHL games and played for Nuremberg in his final pro season 2015-16.

FORWARDS, EVEN-STRENGTH SCORING

• Note: I’m running even-strength numbers here, will do so from time to time this season. Oilers get an abundance of points in the Connor McDavid era from this discipline, important we shine a light.
  • Anyone near 2.00/60 is going to get good marks, and I think Kailer Yamamoto should be acknowledged although these are early days.

JESSE PULJUJARVI VERSUS THE VOLCANO

I mentioned above that Jesse Puljujarvi has cap bonus money bleeding out in Bakersfield currently, suspect that’s one part of why he is there. The other portion is JP’s own production. The Oilers need the young Finn to be a scorer or an outscorer and that means some form of dominance in the AHL. A point per game? He’s 3gp, 0-2-2 currently, I think we’ll see him once he’s scoring goals and posting points around 1/1 per GP. It might be 10 games into the year and it might be 40, but I do believe the young winger gets a call at some point. Kailer Yamamoto’s success could impact that timeline, so the 9-game marker may be the pressure point. So far, the Spokane Chiefs’ winger is delivering pretty well compared to JP in the minors and there are no cap bonus concerns. The bet Peter Chiarelli made on Puljujarvi’s draft day was Hall’s dynamic offense and river pushing would be replaced eventually by Puljujarvi. Are we feeling this will happen? I like Puljujarvi and he has some fine things in his game, here’s hoping he can sustain substantial offense in Bakersfield int he coming days.

EXPECTED GOALS (FORWARDS)

• We’re all talking about shooting percentage and it certainly is a factor so far in the season. Based on career shooting percentages, the Oilers forwards are about five goals in the ditch, possibly more if Kailer Yamamoto’s shooting percentage is north of zero. We’ll review this in a few weeks, suspect it’ll be a better number.
  • Part of the problem is power play, Edmonton’s special teams are not helping them but we can have some confidence it will.
  • Based on this table, Milan Lucic, Jussi Jokinen and Mark Letestu have all bought a complete goal but delivery is late. Patrick Maroon, Zack Kassian and Ryan Strome are in the waiting room and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is making out like a bandit.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260, we stare down a Monday morning and win! Scheduled to appear:

• Pierre Lebrun, TSN and The Athletic. Oilers struggles, Vegas rips it up, Toronto owns the future.
  • Andy McNamara, TSN. Another stunning NFL weekend.
  • Jason Gregor, TSN1260. Oilers weekend, Eskimos playoffs!

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. I’ll also be on the roundtable this morning at 9, TSN1260. Tune in!

93 Responses to "The Nazz are Blue"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I believe Brad Malone is the right choice – well, actually, I believe the right choice is to leave Jesse down in Bakersfield for now.

Jesse is a material prospect and a big part of the future of this team. He was deemed not quite ready about 10-14 days ago and have been able to play a grand total of 3 games in the AHL. The last thing we want to do is yo-yo this young man.

I think he deserves the privilege and opportunity to have a decent stretch of games in the AHL and get in to a bit of a rhythm. While he may be the best potential call-up right now to help with the NHL offence, I would like for him to stay in the Bake for a bit to continue to develop and gain some confidence.

I would posit he should get a good 10 game stretch before the organisation even thinks about a call-up – evaluate at that time (or when its time to make the Yamamoto reassignment).

2. OriginalPouzar says:

I really hope that Brad Malone, to the extent he makes it in the lineup, is able to play a solid bottom six role – responsible defensively, able to move the puck up and out, good on the PK.

My fear, if Malone is not great and we have another bad game or two on the PK is that Mr. Kelly will be getting an SPC.

3. Nuclear leak says:

Yamamoto has had about two successful shifts where he wasn’t completely overwhelmed and out of place. This isn’t a player that’s going to help this season, nor is he what Connor needs to drag around the ice and make look successful on paper yet completely washed by eye.

Glad the Oilers took him as his skill may win out one day, but that day isn’t today or any day this season, send him to junior yesterday and let him bake.

4. Wonder Llama says:

So Tom Gilbert is part of the Nuremberg defense, eh?

I suppose he’s just following orders.

5. Louis Levasseur says:

It always strikes me as odd when a player is sent down to the minors because of cap implications. You hear a player being sent down because they are not waiver eligible, or in order to burn off or avoid bonuses. I understand cap and asset management, but I have to think that these decisions have led to some pretty heated conversations between agent and GM. “My client has earned the shot to play on the team and has out-performed others, but you are sending to the minors and taking $$$ out of his pocket”. I haven’t read the CBA, and maybe it’s covered in there, but it must lead to some bad blood and the odd threat of a grievance.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

I am of the opinion that Puljijarvi was sent to the American Hockey League on merit and to continue to develop his skills in the proper league.

7. leadfarmer says:

JP got sent to the AHL to work on his game. He hasnt worked on his game yet. Brad Malone is not the right choice but its the only choice we have. Chia needs to address what he should have addressed this summer. I was really hoping for a James Neal pickup in the offseason but I’m guessing hes costing too much now.

8. HiddenDarts says:

I know the Oilers are pretty scorched earth with previous defensemen, but dang. How slow/brutal is Tom Gilbert these days?

Can’t even play 3rd pair in the NHL? Wow. The mighty do fall. I remember 2010 well… too well.

I also didn’t know the Caps traded for him and then buried him in the A. Pretty rude move.

9. Whatif says:

I am still a supporter of acquiring Colin Miller. I like what he could bring to this team. Is it realistic to even expect that PC might be able to get him?

10. Cassandra says:

Those ES scoring numbers aren’t right.

Lucic has one assist in 48 minutes and 27 seconds.

Whatever the source, they must be counting empty net goals as even strength.

11. HiddenDarts says:

Whatif:

12. Snowman says:

On an unrelated note… Marner on the 4th line in Toronto today…

Babcock giving him the Nail Yakupov treatment because he’s -6 on the year.

13. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar:

14. OriginalPouzar says:

Whatif:

He should 100% be a target, along with his teammate James Neal – a RHD that MAY be able to fill the 2RD hole and a proven scoring RW – it would be perfect.

The issue is Vegas being light on RHD – I think they only have two.

They won’t give these two players away – Neal is a rental but Miller is an RFA at the end of this year so is a longer term acquisition.

15. Aitch says:

“Would you rather be hammering in possession or be 3-1-0?

The former. I’ve seen the opposite and it doesn’t look pretty. We’ve seen fast starts that we knew the team couldn’t sustain. (See 4-0 to start 2008-09; Or 6-2-1 in 2009-10.) I’d rather be on this side, knowing things are going to improve.

16. OmJo says:

Whatif:

Honestly, I would call up Fayne before trading for Miller. Give him a few games. If he plays well enough you could maybe include him in the trade. Not sure who he would play with, though. Nurse? Auvitu? Klefbom?

17. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar,

They do only have two and the second one is Derek Engelland.

18. Snowman says:

OmJo: I’m not quite sure why LV would want to trade away one of their two RHD to begin with, but if Chiarelli sets his sight on Miller he’ll pay whatever the price it takes to get him.

Fayne is a slow train. Slow. Slow. Slow.

This team needs to be faster. The last thing this team needs is a slow Dman who gives up the zone too easily and doesn’t have a track record of being able to transition the puck effectively.

He can’t play Maclellan’s style. He’s not getting a callup.

19. linkfromhyrule says:

OmJo: Was thinking the exact same thing. If we do sign Kelly I wonder if the coaching staff go on strike.

Matheson has an article up at the Journal today, mainly about Draisaitl but there was this gross quote contained within:

“Chris Kelly, on a professional tryout through camp, continues to practise with the team but he’s not being added to the roster as the 13th forward.

McLellan said he’s not being signed at this time, but showed enough in camp to get a one-year deal.”

Whole article worth a read, apologies to LT if this is against the rules.

20. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo:
    OriginalPouzar,

They do only have two and the second one is Derek Engelland.

I understand that – they also have few centers I believe and Ryan Strome could be part of the deal.

I’m not saying they will give Miller away but I think there could be some conversations to be had between McPhee and Chiarelli.

21. OriginalPouzar says:

linkfromhyrule: http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/no-time-frame-for-return-of-edmonton-oilers-forward-leon-draisaitl

Whole article worth a read, apologies to LT if this is against the rules.

I listened to McLellan’s interview – yes, he did say that Kelly is not being signed “at this time” – I don’t recall him saying “he showed enough in camp to get a one-year deal”.

22. linkfromhyrule says:

OriginalPouzar,

I hope you are correct, it could definitely be messy quotation.

23. dessert1111 says:

Fayne and Lowe both out for at least a couple weeks.

Which means that right now the #9 D in the org is probably Caleb Jones.

If there’s another injury and the Auvitu experiment doesn’t extend, he may get a look quite a bit earlier than we expected.

Interesting to monitor.

24. Snowman says:

dessert1111:
    Fayne and Lowe both out for at least a couple weeks.

Which means that right now the #9 D in the org is probably Caleb Jones.

Interesting to monitor.

Don’t forget Dillon Simpson.

25. Richard S.S. says:

In MLB 40 games is basically meaningless, three quarters of the Season remains and it’s too easy to move up at any time. In the NFL or CFL, 40 games puts them into their third Season. In the NBA, it’s just half the Season, too easy to go on a run. In the NHL, 40 games is also half the Season, but if you are not the top 20 teams by then, your season is over.

Four games are basically meaningless, too much of the Season is left. However, with the Bettman point, it’s too easy to reach the point of no return. There are quality people missing, probably for two or more weeks for some and more for others. The Oilers need to figure out how to win without those people present. Sometimes I think they need to want to win. Right now I think they still expect to win and can’t understand why not.

26. McSorley33 says:

With Vegas, New Jersey and Detroit near the top of their respective standings I realize it is too early to panic.

But I don’t think we match up very well with Carolina and Leon looks to be out and that is
    a major concern.

The first part of our schedule was pretty favorable with a lot of home cooking.

I guess, I am a tad nervous about heading out on the road being 1-4. ( Pit, Chi and Philly)

As we have seen in the NFL with the Giants, things can really snowball in the wrong direction and at a certain point it really is turns into a decent sized hill to climb.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Not surprising but Drai is not on the ice for practice today.

I think we can consider him out for tomorrow’s game.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

Lines today:

Maroon-McDavid-Yamamoto
    Lucic-RNH-Strome
    Khaira-Letestu-Kassin
    Jokinen-Malone-Slepyshev

Pakarinen rotating in.

Klef/Larsson
    Russell/Benning
    Nurse/Gryba

29. russ99 says:

OriginalPouzar

That’s better, hope the guys come to play tomorrow night. Sometimes going on the road brings a team more together.

I’d give Jokinen a game off, he’s been abysmal, and Pak has been battling more than most players.

There’s no way Vegas gives up Miller unless we give them significant assets, like a first and one of Jones or Puljujarvi.

30. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

russ99,

If Colin Miller costs those kind of assets (and the trade is made) I will gladly offer up my Visa for the pitchforks and tar as we all head over to Chia’s front lawn.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99:
    OriginalPouzar

I agree that Vegas won’t give away Miller but I think you are vastly over-rating the player.

He’s not even solidified as a 2nd pairing d-man – he’s a 3rd pairing d-man with the potential to be a 2RD – that is not being traded for a 1st rounder plus a recently drafted 4th overall teenager.

32. Whatif says:

russ99,

I honestly believe that a first and one of Jones/Puljujarvi would be a massive overpay. Miller is a good D man but not worthy of these types of assets.

Perhaps Simpson and Khaira would be more in line.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Whatif:
    russ99,

I honestly believe thata first and one of Jones/Puljujarvi would be a massive overpay. Miller is a good D man but not worthy of these types of assets.

Perhaps Simpson and Khaira would be more in line.

I think something using Strome could work but I’d want a bigger deal involving Neal:

Miller (long term asset) plus Neal (one year rental) for Strome plus Mantha plus _____ (maybe a 2nd rounder, maybe a 1st rounder depending on what value a partial season of Neal has).

34. pocession charge says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    russ99,

Oh sure. You just want all the Visa reward points.

35. pocession charge says:

Cassandra:
    Those ES scoring numbers aren’t right.

Lucic has one assist in 48 minutes and 27 seconds.

Whatever the source, they must be counting empty net goals as even strength.

I thought you were going to say that RNH’s number is too low.

Now that you mention it, RNH’s EV scoring numbers are way too low.

36. J-Bo says:

I’m not sure you can conclude that Chiarelli was betting JP would take over from Hall. What is the basis for your conclusion other then that they are both wingers and JP came as Hall left? It makes more sense to me to conclude based on the lack of information that Chiarelli expected Drai to step up a bit over time. Both ways it is likely framing the issue incorrectly though. Hall was traded for Larsson because when you take the BPA in the draft and aren’t able to draft well elsewhere, you eventually have to trade from your forward surplus for a defenseman. Framing it as Chiarelli betting on a specific player to take Hall’s production feels unfair to both the player and the GM.

37. J-Bo says:

Also, the word out of Vegas has continually been that Miller is not available. This may not be true, but we should likely move on as the communication makes it appear highly unlikely at best.

38. Bag of Pucks says:

If I’m MacLellan, I go right back to Talbot tomorrow night. Gotta let him play his way through this.

After 2 successive yanks, if Todd were to run LB now, I think you’re really playing with fire when it comes to the confidence of your starter.

I think a vote of confidence will be more effective coaching than sending him to sit in the corner.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

McLellan just said that, of course, Drai and Drake are both out for tomorrow but both will be evaluated to see if they can come on the three game trip.

Hopefully they will both be ready at some point on the trip.

Lets not forget, Drai is an elite player that finished the playoffs dominating as a 2C and Drake finished the playoffs as 1RW and fitting in well.

These are some fast and material players that we are missing – add that to Slepy still getting up to speed and our team speed and offensive acumen is compromised – it will get better.

40. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Cassandra:
    Those ES scoring numbers aren’t right.

Lucic has one assist in 48 minutes and 27 seconds.

Whatever the source, they must be counting empty net goals as even strength.

Yeah, Corsica.hockey has:

Leon Draisaitl 3.8
    Milan Lucic 2.39
    Patrick Maroon 1.97
    Kailer Yamamoto 1.83
    Zack Kassian 1.21
    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.15

Natural stat trick is counting Empty Net situations as Even Strength.

In game 1 vs CGY 97 got a EN goal assisted by 29 and 27.

That’s the difference.

I’ll let NST know

41. Bag of Pucks says:

Lots of concern about the W depth as it currently exists in this org. Kind of reminds of me of where they were with the D depth a few years back.

Good to remember that a single good draft can go a long way towards fixing this. Look at 2015 where they got Jones, Bear and Paigin in the pipeline from a single draft. Flash forward and they’re all marinating and still tracking as good prospects.

Now we’re waiting on that 2015 draft to deliver the legitimate Ws that were promised (Puli and Benson).

The good news is this isn’t the MacLoweBellini era or those 2 players would already be on the pro roster and drowning. Chiarelli has the patience and will to develop these players properly.

We may not like it when the big club hits a bump on the road and their Ws aren’t scoring, but man do I like having a management team that isn’t airlifting in the bluechippers at the drop of a hat as the nearest ‘quick fix.’ That’s progress baby.

42. Kmart99 says:

If we’re being realistic about this team’s ability to win games, there’s no logical reason to have ever expected this roster to be equal with last season’s.

For a number of reasons:

1) Missing Sekera for half a season or more.
    2) Removing Eberle’s 25 goals and replacing them with 10-15 goals from Strome
    3) Having a normal/average amount of games lost to injury, unlike last season.
    4) Cam Talbot only starting 65 games instead of 73.

There’s still good reason to think this team can make the playoffs, especially if Chia makes a splash at the deadline, and Sekera comes back. But to expect this year’s team to outperform last year’s was always foolish.

43. Chachi says:

Kmart99: 2) Removing Eberle’s 25 goals and replacing them with 10-15 goals from Strome

44. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Leon Draisaitl3.8
    Milan Lucic2.39
    Patrick Maroon1.97
    Kailer Yamamoto1.83
    Zack Kassian1.21
    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins1.15

Natural stat trick is counting Empty Net situations as Even Strength.

In game 1 vs CGY 97 got a EN goal assisted by 29 and 27.

That’s the difference.

I’lllet NST know

Just chatted with NST on twitter DM.

Here’s his response:

Natural Stat Trick
    For even strength, I’m sticking to the NHL’s definition which includes empty netters.

So the assist counts as “Even Strength”, but not “5v5”

J-Bo:

46. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Chachi: Well they improved a lot last year in part by removing Eberle’s 25 goals and replacing them with 20 goals from Eberle so why not downgrade that position further this year?

If they could replace him with Lennart Petrell there would be no stopping them!

47. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! It’s a little hard to get excited/negative. Sure point to a bunch of stuff, we have some biases. A lot of these might have been mentioned, but this is the Oil:

1) 5×5 s/h %: 4% (4th worst)
    2) 5×5 sv%: .905 (including a shut-out!)
    3) PDO: .946 (3rd worst)
    4) Shot attempt %: 59.4%: best in league, unblocked 2nd in league
    5) They improved their Faceoffs won big time, currently 20th (ducks)
    6) They are hitting like trucks: no team with 4 games played even close
    7) they are getting penalized a lot: 15:15 a game: 4rth most, and their PK% at 70% is worst in league
    8) They have had 12 PP opportunities (least in league, but only 4 games,

– Anyway, I see a lot of things good (shots, hitting), and a few bad things that are just normal variance: really bad G, not much PP time, puck luck PDO, etc

48. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: If they could replace him with Lennart Petrel they’re be no stopping them!

Bring back Lenny and the Pets!

49. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Edmonton Oilers‏Verified account
    @EdmontonOilers

UPDATE: #Oilers place Leon Draisaitl on Injured Reserve.

50. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Chachi: Bring back Lenny and the Pets!

LENNAY!

51. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lowetide: He already had Leon, who had been a 50-point player in the year before Hall was dealt. Dealing Hall meant the organization was giving up a forward who could push the river and would need a replacement. Certainly not right away, but JP was at that time considered a substantial offensive prospect. I’m comfortable with suggesting that was the bet.

Chiarelli also specifically mentioned JP falling to them as a factor in his Hall trade availability.

52. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Hopefully they will both be ready at some point on the trip.

Play him with McDavid all year and then some GMs will think he put up numbers that can be replicated away from McDavid.

That wiley Peter sure pulled a fast one on the GM that had to sign Drai.

53. TO10801 says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Probably means they need to call up another F since they have no extra. I’ll go with Laleggia, as the team could use some speed.

54. digger50 says:

Nurse/Gryba

It’s not real pretty.

55. digger50 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Edmonton Oilers‏Verified account
    @EdmontonOilers

UPDATE: #Oilers place Leon Draisaitl on Injured Reserve.

And there it is.

We wondered if the Oil could survive without one of thier key players. We shall find out sooner rather than later.

56. TheVengeFulOne says:

How many players on this team do we think are legitimate threats to score 30 points this year? Nashville had 11 lady year as a point of reference. I honestly don’t think we have 10. It bugs me to no end that we felt our problem was lack of scoring from the 2line (eberle+pouliot), and the solution was to replace them with the bottom sixers and nothing else.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

Bag of Pucks:

I’m extremely excited about the talent from the 2017 draft – not even Yamamoto but, on the wings, Safin and Maksimov (as well as Samorukov on the back end).

58. digger50 says:

What ever happened to all this wonderful depth we were speculating on in the summer? Rattie, Malone, etc…

They don’t seem to be able to add much. I would have preferred Osterle and Pitlick. I like Simpson, Sleppy, Khaira, Yammer but I seen Pitlick as a better bet.

Best underdog in preseason was Butcher.

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Edmonton Oilers‏Verified account
    @EdmontonOilers

UPDATE: #Oilers place Leon Draisaitl on Injured Reserve.

Doesn’t really mean anything though as far as his availability – its retroactive to last Monday. We know he’s not playing tomorrow and I think would be eligible for Thursday if ready.

McLellan says he’ll be evaluated tomorrow to see if he’ll be on the road trip (same with Drake).

60. Chachi says:

TheVengeFulOne:

61. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: If Peter wants to be able to trade Strome for something decent then he should pull the same trick that he did with Draisaitl.

That wiley Peter sure pulled a fast one on the GM that had to sign Drai.

I think you could double shift McDavid and Strome together for a full season and Strome would not come close to getting 77 points. I don’t think he would get 60.

62. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: LENNAY!

L-L-L-Lennay!

63. McSorley33 says:

Letestu at 3C….sweet.

64. TheVengeFulOne says:

digger50:

They don’t seem to be able to add much. I would have preferred Osterle and Pitlick.I like Simpson, Sleppy, Khaira, Yammer but I seen Pitlick as a better bet.

Best underdog in preseason was Butcher.

It was foolish the whole time to think that slepyshev,caggiula and a bunch of guys who will be out of hockey in a year gave the rw depth. Try to look surprised though.

Chachi: I had a friend who had an 11 lady year about ten years ago. He was happy, but exhausted.

66. Pouzar says:

McSorley33: Letestu at 3C….sweet.

Swiss Army knife.

67. flea says:

Letestu has looked a lot worse this year.

I wonder if the Drai injury is just something to do with his eye injury giving him headaches. When you lose sight in one eye for any extended period, it can definitely cause headaches and mess with your balance. Hopefully that’s all it is and they are just being careful, which I don’t mind.

68. Chachi says:

Lowetide: I have read these two posts 10 times each and all I can do is laugh. 11 lady year is something you’re going to remember.

No doubt!

69. pocession charge says:

Pouzar: Swiss Army knife.

A Swiss army knife that has rusted and the little fork is missing three tines.

70. Seismic Source says:

In two months were all going to look back and laugh at being nervous for nothing………………….right?

71. Richard S.S. says:

Connor McDavid needs something better than he’s got. There are only two effective options at LW, Lucic and Maroon, and they need to be more consistently better. One gets McDavid, the other goes to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. These are the two lines that absolutely must score a lot, regardless of who’s on RW. Until this happens, 3rd and 4th Lines aren’t really important, they just have to help stop the bleeding. If you are not scorIng, Defense and Goal don’t really matter.

72. frjohnk says:

Seismic Source:

In two months we will be looking forward…..
    To the playoffs
    Or the draft lottery.

Please refrain from discussion of events that, while rumored have not been reported as fact. No exceptions.

74. russ99 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    russ99,

That’s kind of the point. Vast overpay, but that’s the kind of assets McPhee will want to make a deal for a good established veteran. Not our 3rd or 4th options. The only time a GM did us a solid in recent memory was for Talbot, and I don’t see it happening again anytime soon.

While Vegas had a nice start, they’re all about long haul assets, and those are the ones we have to move.

I still like Peter’s basic idea of testing the upcoming RFAs to see who’s worth adding to the core when we’re at the cap. Maybe after 20-30 games you could consider that idea a failure, not 4.

As much as fans want it to be so, the Oilers brass were not going to sell everything and/or blow out the cap for just this season, they accurately read that we’re not just there yet. This funky start has proven that.

75. Professor Q says:

At what point would Draisaitl and Caggiula go on the LTIR from the IR? What’s the threshold, and what would be the implications? Salary cap reprieve?

And to be honest every player has seemed worse this year except maybe Kassian and Lucic and a few D (to various degrees and only in some aspects). McDavid is faster and a better scorer but seems to have lulls in effort for some reason. Not injury-concerning but odd nonetheless.

It’s a team thing that needs to be figured out and resolved. McClellan seems really ticked off and maybe confused as to why things aren’t sticking and being learned. Hopefully this comes soon.

76. hunter1909 says:

flea: I wonder if the Drai injury is just something to do with his eye injury giving him headaches.

He’s just been trying to figure out the value of $8.500,000.00 in Euros.

77. OmJo says:

russ99,

Vegas has all the power in a trade, you’re right. They don’t necessarily have to trade Miller or Neal, at least I don’t see why they would – please, somebody correct me if I’m wrong there.

They don’t really have massive expectations this season, they’re an expansion team in year one. We, on the other hand, have been built up all summer as a legitimate contender. Massive expectations, which now maybe seem unrealistic. We won’t be the only ones calling about Miller or Neal, especially if we wait for the trade deadline where their prices will be higher than any other point.

78. OmJo says:

russ99,

_____________________

I mean, they kind of did blow out the cap considering we have like $3M of workable cap space, and only one contract spot remaining (for now) in the last year of McDavid’s ELC.

And we did sell Eberle for Strome, for cap space we needed due to the contract we gave Russell.

No net gains this summer.

79. leadfarmer says:

This season is going to be ugly. I do hope it costs Chia his job before he trades Nuge for another Strome or another failed Islanders prospect. Take Mcdavid and Draisatl off the roster. Thats what Chia has accomplished
    Sekera is a turd polisher have been saying it for years. He makes his partners look good

80. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Chachi,

– Chaich: 11 lady year: thats just an all-world pick-up: you read every post, and come up with gold

– I dont’ know if that’s a real expression, but it is among my circle of friends. I thought’ I’d let you know that. But your comments aren’t “Chaich”, OK!

81. treevojo says:

Chachi

Rumour or Fact?

82. hags9k says:

” Would you rather be hammering in possession or be 3-1-0?”

If we were 3-1 but getting caved in possession, wouldn’t we know that it is unsustainable and the wheels would come off?

We should all have some faith that this is also going to turn around, otherwise what the hell have we been doing around here all these years?

A couple wins and away we go.

83. digger50 says:

Vegas wants too much for thier assets?

Of course they do……now. But in summer they were practically giving them away.

84. Chachi says:

treevojo:
    Chachi

Rumour or Fact?

Would have been 12, but for daylight saving time.

Having not seen the deleted posts I can say that what I am imagining they said is probably way more interesting than what they did say.

85. Professor Q says:

digger50:
    Vegas wants too much for thier assets?

Of course they do……now. But in summer they were practically giving them away.

Giving them away for high-end prospects and 1st Round Picks, non?

86. Chachi says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – By the way, for as long as I know, I have been known for the expression: “that’s just chaich”. Meaning just bush-league, or a joke, with a special kind of bad associated with it. i.e.: “Dallas Eakins, he was just Chaich”

Dallas Eakins was the Chaichiest Chaich who ever Chaiched.

87. Professor Q says:

Chachi: Dallas Eakins was the Chaichiest Chaich who ever Chaiched.

Implementation of the Dump & Chaich?

88. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q:

Not until its known they would be out for months.

Additionally, putting them on LTIR at this point does nothing as far as cap relief – you only get cap relief for LTIR contracts if you are at the upper limit of the cap and we are not there – you get to go over the cap by a capped amount of the LTIR.

I don’t even think Sekera is technically on LTIR at this point.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

Is that for me? If so, I apologize – I thought i was clear that its very unsubstantiated and likely made up – didn’t think it was any different than any trade rumor posted from a similar type source.

OriginalPouzar: Is that for me?If so, I apologize – I thought i was clear that its very unsubstantiated and likely made up – didn’t think it was any different than any trade rumor posted from a similar type source.

Yes, but no worries. What happens, and there’s no way for you to know this, is that someone will ask you what you heard, and then you’ll say “well it is just rumor” and then I take the dog for a walk and someone posts their brother’s uncle’s sister was there and a long and completely unsubstantiated story follows. It’s easier to avoid. But you did nothing wrong.

91. OriginalPouzar says:

OK, understood, won’t happen again.

92. Chachi says:

Professor Q: Implementation of the Dump & Chaich?

The Chaich swarm. A swarm of Chaiches.

Professor Q:

The Oilers effectively don’t have LTIR this year because of McDavid’s almost for certain $3 million in bonuses. The way I understand it, is the Oilers have to spend the bonus room, before they can access LTIR, but that would roll the cap implications of McDavid’s bonus into next year, which the Oilers cannot let happen.

LTIR is only available once one runs out of cap room. The Oilers can’t let themselves run out of cap room or McDavid’s bonuses spill over into next years cap.

Catch 22.

It wouldn’t matter if the OIlers had a lot of cap room next year (they don’t). That is why the Oilers falsely appear to have a lot of unused cap space this year, and why Eberle was traded this summer, and why Pouliot was bought out this summer.