Game Five 2017-18: Hurricanes at Oilers

Never in one million years did I ever think the New England Whalers could hurt me so; there it was, Justin Williams skating down the ice G7 SCF, empty net and it’s all over now, baby blue. A beautiful feeling slammed against a wall right here in the very same room I’m writing this down, that day in 2006. There’s a difference between that kind of pain and real life pain—losing someone close—but that night remains as fresh in my mind over 12 years later as it was on the night it happened. If only Fernando had tipped that puck in the third period. If only.

CRAWLING FROM  THE WRECKAGE, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 0-4-0, goal differential -8
  • Oilers in October 2016: 3-1-0, goal differential +2
  • Oilers in October 2017: 1-3-0, goal differential -6

It is a truly weird start, this team began with a shutout win and a +3 opening night. Now, after what seems like a very long time, the club motorvated over the hill at a 0-3-0 -9 goal differential. Who are you, Edmonton Oilers?

WHAT TO EXPECT IN OCTOBER

• At home to: Calgary (Expected: 1-0-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • On the road to: Vancouver  (Expected: 1-0-0) (Actual: 0-1-0)
  • At home to: Winnipeg, Ottawa, Carolina (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual: 0-2-0)
  • On the road to: Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Dallas, Washington (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-3-2, 12 points in  10 games
  • Current results: 1-3-0, 2 points after four games

A win tonight and the Oilers correct quite a bit, four points in five games is merely a slow start. Lose tonight? 1-4-0 and heading out on the road against three teams with a combined 10-5-2 record so far this year. There should be some urgency here, we should expect a far stronger effort this evening against the  1-1-1 Hurricanes. Edmonton may not win tonight, but they need to start better, stay in the game, and give themselves a chance. Barging back in hopes of a tie isn’t working very well.

OILERS FORWARDS 2017-18

• This is via Natural Stat Trick. Boxcars are all disciplines, the power-play points are not 5×4 (when we begin using Puck IQ, we will revert to 5×4).
  • I value the 5×5/60 scoring numbers most of all. It shows three top line men at 2.00/60 or more and then some secondary scoring from three veterans. After that? Crickets.
  • Nuge and Maroon have the 5×4 numbers, surely that changes and I expect it could be tonight.
  • All of the possession numbers are grand. Edmonton is doing well, even if you consider score effects, at the possession game.
  • Shots per 60 ranges from Kailer Yamamoto to Jujhar Khaira, I’m very pleased Connor McDavid is shooting so much this season.

OILERS DEFENSE 2017-18

• Darnell Nurse is having a nice start to the season, important to remember all of these numbers are early days.
  • Klefbom-Larsson has been good so far, some wobble in specific games. Larsson’s SA/60 a year ago was 29.3 (here) getting that number under 30 is something to watch for as we roll along.
  • Kris Russell is the offensive dynamo so far in this group, his possession numbers are off and Matt Benning’s are way off. Vital for that second pairing to come around—and right soon!

I like Tierney’s graphs, the Edmonton pie chart suggests success despite the team’s record. Of course, we’re about to see the team sans Leon and that could make a difference.

LEON

Jim Matheson has some encouraging news over at the EJ about Mr. Draisaitl. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows, but certainly better than nothing.

• Matty: Leon Draisaitl skated by himself before the Edmonton Oilers’ morning practice Monday at Rogers Place, a sliver of good news after he was diagnosed with a concussion after the Thanksgiving loss to the Winnipeg Jets. Source

The heart of Matheson’s story is available via the link, please proceed and have a quick look. Still up in the air about the road trip but clear progress is being shown and that’s a positive. Watching the Oilers without the big man is borderline painful. I’ve grown accustomed to his pace.

HURRICANES

Carolina is also a strong possession team and have a brilliant set of defenders who move the puck efficiently. It will be interesting to see if the Oilers transport the puck into the offensive zone or dump it in. Hurricanes blue are automatic on retrieval.

EV TOI, FORWARDS

1. Connor McDavid 17:26 (17:17 one year ago)
  2. Leon Draisaitl 16:19 (15:33)
  3. Patrick Maroon 15:54 (14:47)
  4. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 13:36 (14:04)
  5. Zack Kassian 13:05 (11:06, up two minutes this season)
  6. Milan Lucic 12:52 (14:25, down 1.5 minutes this season)
  7. Ryan Strome 11:35 (11:55)
  8. Kailer Yamamoto 11:32
  9. Jussi Jokinen 10:47 (13:35, down almost 3 minutes this season)
  10. Anton Slepyshev 10:38 (10:59)
  11. Drake Caggiula 10:08 (10:54)
  12. Jujhar Khaia 6:55 (Matt Hendricks was 9:09)
  13. Mark Letestu 6:13 (9:49, down over three minutes this season)
  14. Iiro Pakarinen 6:12 (8:31, down over two minutes this season)

It’s early days, but interesting to see Zack Kassian get a push and Milan Lucic playing less. Jussi Jokinen is down three minutes, Mark Letestu too. The new line structure (below) probably means Jokinen plays even less, although I’m not sure about third and fourth line usage tonight.

PROJECTED LINEUP TONIGHT

• Patrick Maroon—Connor McDavid—Kailer Yamamoto
  • Milan Lucic—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Ryan Strome
  • Jujhar Khaira—Mark Letestu—Zack Kassian
  • Jussi Jokinen—Brad Malone—Anton Slepyshev
  • Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
  • Kris Russell—Matt Benning
  • Darnell Nurse—Eric Gryba
  • Cam Talbot (Laurent Brossoit)

I begin every one of these wondering if Kailer Yamamoto stays up on the top line. One of these nights Anton Slepyshev is going to be flying and score in the first period, he’ll get the push. Yamamoto kind of reminds me of Alonzo Powell, with Leon Draisaitl now representing Tim Raines in the scenario.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun, crazy show beginning at 10 on TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, The Athletic. Jon’s unique view applied to the Oilers and their start, can’t miss radio.
  • Ryan Holt, Bakersfield Condors. Our first report from California, we’ll ask about Jesse Puljujarvi and those young blue.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. Oilers, Leafs, Senators, MLB playoffs, CFL.
  • Eric Fawcett, Press Basketball. Another crop of Canadian basketball players on the way.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

470 Responses to "Game Five 2017-18: Hurricanes at Oilers"

« Older Comments
  1. npanciroli says:

Keep Yamamoto the whole year. Best RW on the team.

2. Centre of attention says:

I swear the Oilers are actually playing great 5 on 5 and every mistake seems to be ending up in their net, along with some sub par special teams.

Work to be done, some of it might be solved with personnel change.

3. digger50 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: ***TROLL ALERT*** INCOMING
    – Strome has the same amount of goals as Hall + Ebs combined, in 5 games vs 12 combined

Stop

4. theDjdj says:

If this push back has given us anything it’s that the team has life. Just a few unlucky instances have cost us dearly. Have faith that this will normalise.

5. DBO says:

Can’t send Yamamoto down with his play. He is our best offensive RW after Draisatl and we need Drai at centre. Not ideal, but reality.

6. Munny says:

First bad play by Russell this game by my eye

7. hags9k says:

Any injury updates with regards to Reggie? Hopefully he is healing like a champ.

8. magisterrex says:

At the game tonight. Sloppy play, lots of defensive lapses.

9. OmJo says:

Remenda is like a poor man’s McGuire. Not good.

10. Munny says:

Yama’s confidence seems to have taken another step forward.

11. DBO says:

Draisatl in for Malone, and get a RD and we are in a much better spot. Would rather have Bear then Gryba

12. OmJo says:

6v4 gotta score here.

13. TheVengeFulOne says:

Oil2Oilers:
    Maroon for Colin Millar – he is having a stinker tonight

Was just thinking we have too many bonifide top 6 wingers.

14. Zelepukin says:

OmJo:
    6v4 gotta score here.

and yet the sloppiest 2min left, attempts at breaking out, ever.

15. OmJo says:

Can’t complete a pass

16. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Oilers last in the league if they lose tonight?

17. Munny says:

Well a lot more positives this game.

Hopefully the Coach tries to build off those positives rather than bag-skating this time around.

18. hags9k says:

Our record heading into Chicago is not handsome.

19. Bag of Pucks says:

Your best players have to play like your best players and that’s just not happening at the moment imho.

20. OmJo says:

Well, the game could have ended a lot worse than it did.

That SH goal just can’t happen.

21. Oil2Oilers says:

TheVengeFulOne: Was just thinking we have too many bonifide top 6 wingers.

But look at our left wing depth in the minors… sorry don’t do that tonight’s game was miserable enough

22. Zelepukin says:

Bag of Pucks:

And it starts from the net out. Our goaltending has been disgusting, followed by our D, followed by our forwards.

23. Jaxon says:

Réal Goudenyéu:
    Oilers last in the league if they lose tonight?

I think they’re in 28th. EDIT: 30th. Luckily Arizona hasn’t won yet, so they’re 31st. San Jose is leading right now.

24. OmJo says:

hags9k:
    Our record heading into Chicago is not handsome.

I’m terrified about the Capitals game coming up.

25. hags9k says:

At some point, ready or not, you have to give the big goofy Finn a call and see if you can get a spark.

26. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Centre of attention,

Ya man. Look at the numbers, they killed the Canes that entire game. Save on Maroon on the breakaway, nice stop on Yamamoto on the short side. Two mistakes end up in the net.

Our goaltending is a serious issue though.

Need a save

27. Melvis says:

Yep, yep, yep, mmhmm.

At this point, a 1-9 start would come as no surprise, but King of the Hill is in talks for a comeback. So there’s that.

28. OmJo says:

Jaxon,

Tied for 29th with the Sharks, ahead of the lowly Coyotes.

Edit: My dumb ass forgot there’s 31 teams in the league. Tied for 30th, not 29th.

29. Réal Goudenyéu says:

This team, in its current state, could only have 1 win in October if they don’t figure out how to keep the puck out of their net.

I do believe a bit of panic is allowed now.

30. Dino says:

Winnable game. Some good arrows. Some stupid brain fart mistakes by good players. Basically it’s brace yourself until Drai and Seksy come back and until Talbot can make a save again. All of which will happen soon.

31. flyfish1168 says:

RNH faceoff numbers the last couple of games looking pretty good.

32. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Sooo… about those pitchforks…

33. Bag of Pucks says:

If I’m MacLellan, I’m stressing patience with this team. They’re pressing too hard for offense and it’s leading to sloppy coverage and poor gap control going the other way. The hallmark of last season was 5 man units all playing on the right side of the puck. They need to get back to that. Good defence forces turnovers which leads to goals. Suspect some of the lads fell victim to the preseason hype. MacLellan will have their undivided attention now.

34. Centre of attention says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

Yeah I was not expecting Brossoit to put up this kind of performance.

He has a heck of an opportunity and he needs to make saves.

For me, the PK should be the first thing addressed. hovering around 65% is unacceptable.

35. Jaxon says:

Reilly Smith from Brad Hunt and Colin Miller for Vegas PP goal.

36. Mr. D. says:

Defense other than Klef/Larson played OK.
    Need to cycle to someone in the red zone with movement. Our offensive play is much too static. We look like statues which are easy to cover.

37. Hardy_Astrom says:

Hi Lowtide folks. I am new here and left various other sites due to insufferable trolls/lack of hockey discussion. Scanning through this thread, it looks like I am in the right place.

I only saw the last period of the game. My emotions are shot. Giant mistakes and all-world plays co-existing. Strange. I have hope (maybe misguided) that this game was the beginning of trend in the right direction. Other than said giant mistakes, I thought the Oilers were the better team. Again, I only watched the 3rd. How about Yamamoto’s absolute laser one-timer off the post? It made me spill my newly-opened beer and I didn’t even care.

38. unca miltie says:

Dino:

39. stush18 says:

unca miltie: I am in this camp. Hate to see another loss but I think the team is headed in the right direction. Had a real shot at the comeback tonight, Canes got the big saves when they needed them and the Oilers did not. Remember the old Mac T saying, at the end of losing streaks you are losing games you deserve to win and at the end of winning streaks you are winning games you deserve to lose. The end of the losing streak is upon us.

Very good points.

Also Getting out of Edmonton might just be what they need.

It’s all on the pk right now. Although I dunno how you fault them when they’re one of league best at limiting shots. That’s all you really ask for.

Honestly the defense is chasing too much on the pk imo. That third goal came because Larsson chased giant man up the boards. No need for that.

40. russ99 says:

We can’t blame the goaltenders if our defensive breakdowns give the opponent multiple grade A chances in alone with time and no pressure.

Patrick Roy couldn’t keep them all out.

41. Professor Q says:

A nice Tuch-in goal by Alex Tuch for Vegas.

Subban is playing very well.

Beautiful first Vegas goal for Perron. I miss that man.

42. Munny says:

Since we haven’t heard back from LT, unless I missed it, I have just gone through the shift charts and can confirm 4-77 and 6-25 was a thing for most of the second half of the game. Originally it looks like it happened due to so much special teams play but even after the game settled into a stretch of EVs play, it was definitely TMac’s plan.

From the charts it almost looks like Klef got benched for a bit after the Staal PP goal and TMac went to 6-25 before putting Klef back out there (with Russell).

Also, considering 77 and 4 are the primary PP blue liners right now, pairing them together at EVs probably makes some sense, since you wouldn’t expect either to be available for the shifts immediately after a PP.

And this probably means Nurse is facing more top comp than last year. Or will, if these pairings continue.

43. Gerta Rauss says:

I missed the first period (and am thankful for that)

It’s another disappointing result but I thought I saw some signs of life late in the 2nd and the early part of the 3rd ie: some sustained pressure with good scoring chances (and they almost tied it…Maroon!!)

A couple guys got on the scoreboard tonight so maybe they’re not squeezing the sticks next game

The road trip may just be what this team needs right now

44. stush18 says:

Munny:

From the charts it looks like Klef got benched for a bit after the Staal PP goal and TMac went to 6-25 before putting Klef back out there (with Russell).

Also, considering 77 and 4 are the primary PP blue liners right now, pairing them together at EVs probably makes some sense, since you wouldn’t epect either to be available for the shifts immediately after a PP.

It’s what I said we should do!

Klefbom-Russell
    Nurse-Larsson
    Auvitu-benning/gryba

45. Munny says:

stush18,

When you consider special teams deployment it actually makes sense.

Also, I can’t remember Gryba shooting as much in the past as he has to start this season. Is my memory deceiving me?

46. Munny says:

I don’t see the Cubs coming back this playoffs.

Munny:

Just running the numbers now, definitely turned into Nurse-Larsson and Klefbom-Russell, who were together 5×5 for about six minutes.

Hardy_Astrom:

Welcome, Hardy.

49. D says:

I feel that the losing streak is coming to an end. The secondary scoring finally got rolling in this game and the underlying numbers will start to reflect in the final score.

50. CrazyCoach says:

hags9k:

Or at the very least, some awesome video bombing.

51. CrazyCoach says:

Hardy_Astrom:

Welcome Hardy.

This is an awesome blog.

Have fun

52. Pescador says:

D:
    I feel that the losing streak is coming to an end.The secondary scoring finally got rolling in this game and the underlying numbers will start to reflect in the final score.

No more losing games we shouldn’t, time to win some we shouldn’t.
    Rogers Ice is a disgrace

53. SwedishPoster says:

Better overall performance tonight though part of controlling the play was ofc due to spotting Carolina with a 2-0 lead after 5 minutes. The bottom half of the roster stepped up, other than Brossoit I guess, but let’s face it we won’t win a lot of games as long as our #1 G, #1D and #1C are underperforming. Especially if Talbot and Klefbom not just underperform but plays like garbage as has been the case the last few. McDavid hasn’t been bad, he’s still playing like a #1C, he’s just playing like a slightly below average one which is far below the bar he’s set for himself.

Also the meatheads got to stop taking those stupid ass penalties, after Kassian, Maroon and Lucic had taken one dumb penalty each I was just waiting for Gryba. Instead Maroon took another one with the team chasing goals.

54. Pescador says:

Gerta Rauss:
    I missed the first period (and am thankful for that)

The road trip may just be what this team needs right now

Scoring first would help, couple bounces would be nice.
    Oscar had a really really tough night

55. Bling says:

Positives:

1) I thought the breakouts were looking quite crisp.
    2) Strome had a pretty nice game. I thought he was a bit ineffective early, making some low percentage passes which were picked off a few times. He is quite good when he decides to go into high traffic areas.
    3) I think the Lucic/RNH/Strome trio is a keeper.
    4) Really liked Sleppy’s game. There was a shift where he lined up with McDavid and Yamamoto, and they looked quite good.
    5) Yamamoto is settling in. Good to see!

56. stush18 says:

SwedishPoster,

Maroon is my favourite oiler along with nuge, but he’s been absolutely awful this year.

I’d move him down, but they already are missing Leon amd cags, so it’s not like there’s a ton of other options to play with mcdavid.

57. stush18 says:

Bling,

If lucic-nuge-strome stay together then we need a 3c. I didn’t mind the line though.

58. JimmyV1965 says:

This team is hard on the head. More than 50 shots on net!!! Yet repeated brain farts leading to Grade A chances. We absolutely need better goaltending. Klef soils the sheets and gives up a breakaway on the PP. And Canes score on a weak shot that should have been saved. Maroon has breakaway and Ward makes great save on a much better play. I have no idea what to think anymore.

59. SwedishPoster says:

stush18:
    SwedishPoster,

Agreed. He needs a wake up call. Wouldn’t mind giving Slepy a shot at left wing, looked real strong on the boards tonight. If Slepy is to stick on a top line he needs to placing his shots better though, a lot of power straight into the chest of the goalie or completely off mark.

60. GMB3 says:

Maroon needs to grow back the beard. All things arrows will point north. Book it.

61. Munny says:

SwedishPoster,

I’d like to see Sleppy with more minutes and thus more serious minutes so we have some idea of what he can handle. Low minutes tonight considering how he looked when he got them. But that might have been the plan.

That said , Moto is probably the better player than Sleppy already (just as a comparison). Still there’s some Pisani, I think, in Sleppy’s blood. More shooter than one on one guy. But the rest rings true to me.

And I would say that to my eye, Slepyshev earned more minutes than he got last night. More trust was shown in Pak. That’s a tell. For the moment, lol.

62. hags9k says:

Sekera – Doughty
    Klefbom – Larsson
    Nurse – Benning
    Russell

*rolls over falls back asleep*

63. OriginalPouzar says:

At least we don’t have a number 1 goalie controversy.

64. OriginalPouzar says:

I do like the change in the defensive pairings that McLellan went to for a material part of the game. As I’ve been craving for a week now, split the top pairing so that there is a left anchor and a right anchor in the top two pairings:

Nurse/Larsson
    Klef/Russel
    Auvitu/Grya

With Benning back next game, I’d like to see:

Nurse/Larsson
    Klef/Benning
    Russell/Gryba

OR

Nurse/Larsson
    Klef/Russell
    Auvitu/Benning

65. OriginalPouzar says:

I though the team played pretty well, generally, last night.

It wasn’t just score effects, they carried the play from start to finish. Unfortunately, they made a number of high end egregious errors which ended up in our next ever time.

Nuge giving up on a back-check – goal
    Lucic and Klef being terrible at the offensive blue line – goal

Would have been nice if our goalie made a save.

66. thehop says:

stush18,

If Maroon is on the top line with McDavid on Thursday.. I won’t watch the game. At this moment he would be my candidate for a scratch if the Oilers were healthy.

Free Slepyshev and tie him to McDavids right side or left side.

67. russ99 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I do like the change in the defensive pairings that McLellan went to for a material part of the game.As I’ve been craving for a week now, split the top pairing so that there is a left anchor and a right anchor in the top two pairings:

Nurse/Larsson
    Klef/Russel
    Auvitu/Grya

With Benning back next game, I’d like to see:

Nurse/Larsson
    Klef/Benning
    Russell/Gryba

OR

Nurse/Larsson
    Klef/Russell
    Auvitu/Benning

Yeah, play Klefbom and Benning together. Our two worst offenders at sloppy turnovers, giveaways trying to do to much and abandoning defensive responsibility for offense.

That puck mover narrative around here gets even more annoying when defensemen keep getting burned at the back and in odd-man breaks and forwards are leaving the D zone too early giving opponents easy chances on turnovers.

How’s about we get better at limiting opposition sorties and high danger chances without chasing and stop the dumb ring around to nobody clearouts and bad own zone passes before we try and stack the deck going the other way, not to mention keeping the puck when we get in the opposition zone rather than throwing it away.

We’re putting too much pressure on our goaltenders who in the NHL I watch aren’t expected to magically come up with saves on every dumb play our defensive zone team messes up on.

68. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Some thoughts: (keep in mind I missed a lot of periods 1 and 2)

1) Klefbom had a very very bad 1st and 2nd by eye. The pinch on the first goal was bad, but in the same vein Brossoit cannot let that shot it. And before going further both he and Talbot are playing soooo far back in their nets right now its a treat for shooters. Back to Klef, the misread on the 3-0 on the PK is just atrocious.

2) Special teams are… yikes. PP got going a bit and that was nice to see but overall, yuck and the PK is double yuck.

3) Keep Looch-RNH-Strome together! They have some chem and might be able to get rolling here.

4) Yamamoto looked good, He seems to have calmed down over the last couple of games and is starting to get into shooting lanes and find space around the net. He could go off for a big night soon.

5) Goalies need to make a save. This is Calgary last year level of bad right now. Here’s hoping both of them find some confidence on this road trip.

6) According to every metric it appears that the Oilers are the best 5v5 team in the league.

unca miltie,

Centre of attention,

OriginalPouzar,

To all of these, yes yes and yes! Game flow map at the bottom is pretty damning.

They just need to stick to the game plan because it is working! That PKing, goalering and Dmen forgetting how to play d at times on the other hand….

69. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

russ99,

I don’t think this is really true for the last two games and reading the numbers over at NaturalStatTrick seem to confirm it. The Oilers aren’t hanging their goalies out for stretches of games at all. Its just that every HDSC (of which there are multiple for each team every game) are going in.

Yes the team needs to cut down brainfarts, no question, but they also need their goalie to make a damn save and bail them out once and a while. Its pretty damning that of five games the starting goalie has been yanked twice and should have been yanked last night. That first goal against last night was weak sauce on Brissoit, watching the highlight package on the Oiler website it seems that Cam Ward mad that exact 2 on 1 save a half dozen times.

70. Mr. D. says:

Nurse/Larsson
    Klef/Benning
    Russell/Gryba

Klef Benning. Now that defies any logicthey are our worst two defenders up to this point. They’d be the Readers Digest pairing..free giveaways.

« Older Comments