AHL Game Five: Condors at Reign

For Jesse Puljujarvi, the NHL story (“Power outage under the Big Top!”) is a breath of fresh air and abundant good news. However, the big Finn is four games into his AHL season and has zero goals plus two assists. AHL phenoms need to force the issue with gaudy boxcars, brilliant performances and gushing prose from the minor league coach to Oilers headquarters. JP hasn’t moved the needle, and that may well be an opportunity missed. Then again, Leon Draisaitl went 6gp, 1-1-2 before receiving the call and laying waste to the Habs one Halloween night not so long ago.

CONDORS TONIGHT!

• The Oilers are eventually going to need a skill center for Puljujarvi, maybe that skill center is in the NHL currently and the Finn will join the big club.
  • Josh Currie is a solid two-way center in the AHL—22 goals a year ago—but there’s a big gap between his offensive ability and Anton Lander.
  • Joe Gambardella had a nice run in the spring with Bakersfield, but didn’t put in a strong showing at Oilers training camp. He seems to be turning the corner on his season now.
  • Chad Butcher is an AHL-only contract but he did great work in training camp and posted his first pro goal last night.
  • Nick Ellis continues to build his resume, a strong showing last night and he’ll play again this evening.

If the Edmonton Oilers are casting an eye toward Bakersfield, and wondering who can help them right now, I would think Jesse Puljujarvi is an obvious place to start. The boxcars are not strong, but the same could be said of Leon Draisaitl a couple of years ago and he really helped the Oilers. I don’t think JP is Leon offensively, but he might be able to help.

87 Responses to "AHL Game Five: Condors at Reign"

1. Munny says:

Material top half from Morton.

2. Psyche says:

I would appreciate seeing Jesse Puljujarvi playing with the Oil on a line with Jussi Jokinen and Leon Draisaitl. Size and skill in that trio.

3. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! I’m not as worried about goals as most it seems..

– Bring up Pool while Kailer is here, where does he fit, if you want to give him reps with a quality C?

Maroon-McD-Kailer
    Lucic-Drai-Pool
    Cags-RNH-Strome
    Kassian-Letetsu-Sleppy
    Malone

– Bench Pak, Joki?

Kinger: Jokinen looked slow to my eye today, love him as a player but not a lot shaking.

5. Pouzar says:

Sergachev is gonna be a stud isn’t he?

6. thehop says:

What would Ottawa do with a guy like Pulujarvi?

Watching them handle the Leafs tonight and man do they look good.

7. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Very interesting piece on proprietary data in the NHL

8. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pitlick scored his first as a Star.

9. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Pitlick scored his first as a Star.

Did he manage to do it without breaking into a million pieces? He’s had enough bad injury luck to last a lifetime.

10. Richard S.S. says:

Last years’ Oiler team isn’t here yet and it may never come. McDavid is being handled by the opposition because no one else is a threat. His line has 6 Goals and 13 assists. The remaining Team has 7 Goals and 7 assists.

Jesse Puljujarvi will not make enough difference even if he plays on McDavid’s line. It’s possible even the return of Leon Draisaitl and Drake Caggiula might not be enough. These players have to decide they want it more.

11. Munny says:

At this rate Morton could pitch a complete on less than 80 pitches.

Doubt that rate will hold but sheesh what a start,

Rattie from Bear and Simpson

13. Pouzar says:

Chachi: Did he manage to do it without breaking into a million pieces?

Gold Jerry!

14. Pouzar says:

Rattie from Bear and Simpson

Good for him. Nice to see.

15. Pouzar says:

Munny:
    At this rate Morton could pitch a complete on less than 80 pitches.

Doubt that rate will hold but sheesh what a start,

16. Chachi says:

Another goal for Pitlick! And his atoms did not vaporize into the ether!

17. Pouzar says:

Is that box score correct? Stamkos with his 14th Asst?

18. digger50 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Pitlick scored his first as a Star.

Great for him, I think he’s going to have a good year.

19. Chachi says:

Pouzar:
    Is that box score correct? Stamkos with his 14th Asst?

15 now. Sergachev has 8 points this season so far.

20. digger50 says:

Wow, just watched Mathews goal. Toronto is exciting to watch, but Ottawa still a better overall team….for now.

21. Pouzar says:

Chachi: 15 now. Sergachev has 8 points this season so far.

That is crazy. Guess who the Oilers…………..ah f^ck nm

22. Munny says:

Pouzar,

Despite the attraction of a Yanks-Dodgers old-school tilt, I think I have to cheer for the Stros.

But agreed, I don’t hate them as much as the Jeter teams.

Mariano was astonishing though. Amazing. Annoyingly awesome.

23. Chachi says:

Pouzar: That is crazy. Guess who the Oilers…………..ah f^ck nm

HA!

24. Pouzar says:

Munny:
    Pouzar,

Despite the attraction of a Yaks-Dodgers old-school tilt, I think I have to cheer for the Stros.

But agreed, I don’t hate them as much as the Jeter teams.

Mariano was amazing though. Astonishing. Annoyingly awesome.

I am cheering for Stros as well.

Jeter Yanks were a different bunch. Mad respect for the home grown guys like Jeter, Bernie, Mariano et al but the hired hands were quite the collection of d-bags (Paul O’Neil and A-Fraud to name a couple).

25. Chachi says:

Couture with a hat trick in a losing cause against the Islanders. I hear that between the second and third periods he gnawed right through a 100 year old oak tree.

26. Munny says:

The perfect throw home. Just wow.

27. digger50 says:

So what’s the plan now?

I believe Todd has to throw every inch of talent he’s got into the top two lines.

Maroon. Connor. ?
    Lucic. Nuge. Drai

Who fills in the #1 RW?

Drake needs a shot. He has speed, tenacity and some creativity. Hope he can do it.
    Kid Jelly has had an excellent run and huge amount of learning. I believe when they width the pros and cons of keeping him after game 9 he’ll get sent down, despite how well he’s done. Probably the best plan.

We also have a good fourth line.

? Letestu. Kassian

Several could fill in the Hendricks spot and all three players here would not be over thier heads.

Leftovers are needed for a third line. Honestly, Strome. Jokinen, Pakarinen. Malone. Sleppy. Khaira it really doesn’t matter if they are on the ice or in the press of so pick three that will hurt you the least.

Then play the heck out of the top two lines.

28. Pouzar says:

Wow…out at home.

29. Munny says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Pitlick scored his first as a Star.

I miss his brittle butt.

When healthy he’s exactly what we need… and now.

I would have taken a chance on him over Khaira, Malone, Rattie.

30. Lloyd B. says:

The one thing the Yankees do not do is put the names of the players on the jerseys.

They play for the logo on the front.

I don’t think any other Major League professional sports team does that but I’m sure you guys will correct me.

They play for the team. I like it !

31. Munny says:

Astro Alomar Altuve

Bear from Christoffer and Butcher.

33. Pouzar says:

Lloyd B.: They play for the logo on the front.

You don’t honestly buy that shit do you?

Mrs. Lowetide wants you to know we’re drinking too much and I’m being mean at cribbage. That is all.

35. Chachi says:

Tell her we feel her pain.

36. Chachi says:

Dustin Brown had 4 points tonight. I hear he celebrated by kicking a bunch of puppies.

37. Pouzar says:

Chachi:

If anyone tells you they know Hockey-ing…run.

38. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– So as an Expos then a Jays fan, my instinct was always to hate the Yankees

– I was in NY for business the last year they had the Old Yankee Stadium: I walked up to the ticket wicket for a random game on a Thursday: they said “it’s your lucky day”, and I got a ticket 11 rows behind catcher: about $45 bucks!

– So I get to my seat, and these guys in their late 50’s say: “hey, welcome, you got our extra seat” These guys, all pals, owned 6 season tickets: that they bought when they were all young an single, and have been going to the games for 35+ years” One guy was a plumber, cop, an architect, real-estate.

– Anyway they were so passionate about baseball: not just the Yankees, but they talked jays with me,

– They kept sore with the sheet thingy, and were awesome about ribbing each other about how to annoit it, and general fun trash talk.

– Yankees have this tradition where before the game, the fans cheer for each player untill they acknowledge them: so “Jeter-Jeter-Jeter”,then he tips his hat, they go to the next guy: “a-rod-a-rod,” etc. It’s just special: at a Jays game, that doesn’t work as most fans couldn’t name 5 players!

– It was a really fun atmosphere, the guys were fantastic, and I had to admit it was a cool stadium, and I had some great hosts (we are in touch, and they came up to a game here in Toronto)

– Plus they have really done a nice job of flushing their vets, and they have an exciting team.

– Yankees LA would be special as well

39. Chachi says:

Pouzar: If anyone tells you they know Hockey-ing…run.

That’s my reaction any time anyone tells me anything.

40. Pouzar says:

This is nuts.

Buster Olney‏Verified account @Buster_ESPN 1m1 minute ago
    First six innings of this game, the Astros attacked the Yankees’ hitters with curveballs — 48% of all pitches were curves.

41. flyfish1168 says:

Bear from Christoffer and Butcher.

We might have a candidate for RHD call up.

42. Munny says:

You stinkhole!

43. Pouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: So as an Expos then a Jays fan

I think Dennis King just kicked a puppy.

44. Munny says:

Pouzar,

winner

45. Lloyd B. says:

Pouzar: You don’t honestly buy that shit do you?

And appear ready to go on another extended run…again!

Their Major League team is looking pretty good and the minor league has a load of top quality prospects as well.

46. Pouzar says:

Lloyd B.: Do you have an alternate reason that organization has been so consistently good for so long?

I have an idea.

47. Munny says:

Pouzar,

Does it rhyme with “luxury tax”?

48. jtblack says:

The perfect Sat Night …. my GMA taught me crib when I was 5 / 6.

49. Lloyd B. says:

Pouzar: I have an idea.

Thats great. What might it be?

Players become better because they don’t want to let the ghosts of past teams down on their watch?

50. Pouzar says:

Munny:
    Pouzar,

Does it rhyme with “luxury tax”?

Perfect…maybe they could back that on the back of their jerseys?

51. Munny says:

Gotta give credit where credit’s due.

This crowd has been giving 110 percent all game.

It’s gut check time, and everybody’s on the same page.

At the end of the day, they’re just trying to make things happen out there.

52. HT Joe says:

digger50: Lots of folks jumping on the “Peter didn’t do enough boat” now that preseason optimism is starting to fade.

53. Lloyd B. says:

Nolan Ryan just smiled and gave a fist pump. First show of emotion all game.

54. OriginalPouzar says:

Man – I didn’t realize there was this entry – I thought there was only going to be one post on game days:

Safin with 2 assists and 5 shots in a 4-3 loss.

Samorukov with no points but 3 shots in a 2-0 win.

Wells lit up for 7 goals on 31 shots – ouch.

Maksimov with 4 shots on net in a 1-0 OTL

Rattie with a goal and Bear was a goal and assist so far – 2-0 Condors with under 10 to go.

55. Gret99zky says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

“A plumber, a cop, an architect, and a real-estater walk into a ball stadium…”

56. anjinsan says:

Watching and listening to McLellan post the loss at Philly, I felt the pain and also felt I saw someone who pitched his best game and realized his stuff wasn’t up to Stanley trajectory.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

Ellis stops 35 out of 36 – only beaten by a late goal to make it 2-1.

Laleggia puts on in to the empty net (from Rattie).

Laleggia en from Rattie and 3-1final.

59. Lloyd B. says:

Gret99zky:
    Kinger_Oil.redux,

“A plumber, a cop, an architect, and a real-estater walk into a ball stadium…”

The Village People?

60. VOR says:

Woodguy,

Don’t know if you are out there. Great link on the Travis Yost piece. The story made me think about my former mentor Gideon Ariel. Gideon, for those of you who don’t know was the first person to ever use computers to study athletic performance (in conjuction with video tape no less). He started in the 70s.

So definitely a genius, decades ahead of his time. But also large parts snake oil salesman. He convinced any number of professional teams to buy his products and services long before the technology existed as anything but a concept in Gideon’s fertile imagination. It would never have stood up to the slightest scrutiny but nobody ever asked the tough questions. They were just so anxious to gain a competitive advantage. It doesn’t sound like things have changed much.

The irony is all the products and services Gideon dreamed up now exist and make up much of modern bio-mechanics, sports tracking, and human performance science. And it is all a direct consequence of the mad genius of Gideon Ariel. He believed it until it happened.

61. Professor Q says:

Chachi:

That last goal should have been offside.

62. Ryan says:

anjinsan:

Reading between the lines, I’ve had a sense that Mclellan has long since capitulated on this season.

Most of his comments seem to come from the ‘day late and a dollar short’ category especially those relative to team speed.

63. Professor Q says:

Pouzar: As a Red Sox fan I hate the Yankees. But this collection of individuals wearing pinstripes I have no ill will towards. A very fine team.

64. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Attended both Condor games this weekend. Nick Ellis was simply outstanding … best player on the ice for either team. Bear also impressed. Better than average in all phases of the game and processes at a very high level. He could be something special. Mantha displayed the howitzer on several occasions and yes he is very accurate with it. Did some good things in other areas as well. It will be interesting to follow his development going forward. Could be a very valuable find. Regarding forward prospects, Ty Rattie had some good moments. He looked dangerous out there. Finally, and I really hate to write this, but JP was nearly invisible both games. If you did not know he was a high first round draft pick, you would not have guessed it watching these games. One dangerous opportunity and it was a weak shot right into the goalie for an easy save. Disinterested? Disappointed? I don’t know but he displayed absolutely no WOW factor. Really hope I am wrong about this player.

65. PunjabiOil says:

There are ebbs and flows in development, but whats discouraging is Puljujarvi isn’t even getting shots on goal. 1 shot each game in the last 4.

Math never liked him.

Maybe it’s time to acknowledge a sunk cost and move him while he has value.

66. Henry says:

Professor Q: I think it was mostly A-Rod and Jeter that got my ire. And their name. And their uniforms.

I went to graduate school in New Jersey during the early Jeter/Willaims/Rivera years. Went to 5-10 games a year and (mostly silently) cheered for the other guys every time. This group of Yankees are pretty nice, but living in Houston the past 11 years, it feels very, very good beating the Borg this time.

67. geowal says:

Jagr on after hours

68. stush18 says:

Would anyone here trade pacioretty for Puljujarvi? Friedmen reporting the oilers should be asking about him.

Or should we be looking for a righty?

69. Ryan says:

PunjabiOil:

There are ebbs and flows in development, but whats discouraging is Puljujarvi isn’t even getting shots on goal.1 shot each game in the last 4.

Math never liked him.

Maybe it’s time to acknowledge a sunk cost and move him while he has value.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it’s prolly a draft bust.

70. PunjabiOil says:

Would do RNH + Benning for Pacioretty and I like both players.

71. Chachi says:

Professor Q: That last goal should have been offside.

Odds are at least 1 of his points would have involved cheating in some way.

72. deardylan says:

There is a Finnish proverb…

“Kun menee sutta pakoon, tulee karhu vastaan”

Loosely translated:

When you try to tie up a Puljujärvi, you run into a BEAR.

Another win for Bakersfield as a Team!

73. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

deardylan,

Another win for Bakersfield as a Team!

Well maybe … but more than likely not. Condors were outshot by a healthy margin in both games (17 to 6 in the first period tonight). With league average goaltending, they probably lose both games. Ellis was spectacular, pitching a shutout for five periods and all but the last two minutes or so of a sixth during which the Reign pulled their goalie and hemmed the Condors in their own zone during 6×5 play.

74. TheVengeFulOne says:

stush18,

I don’t think handedness really matters. We just need at least one more bonifide top 6 fwd.

75. TheVengeFulOne says:

HT Joe: To be honest, you’re not giving proper credit to a lot of people who have been on the “Peter didn’t do enough boat” since the mid-summer.

Amen. These are the same concerns myself(under another alias) and others raised since the oilers were eliminated. Story has not changed, evidence has simply mounted.

76. russ99 says:

Been an Astros fan since the 70s as a kid, it’s pretty sweet that they won the pennant and are the first team that beat the Red Sox and Yankees in the same offseason.

Special group of guys there, hope they can finish the job.

77. russ99 says:

TheVengeFulOne,

Yamamoto is an exciting prospect and he has a well rounded group of skills, but he’s costing the the team goals, with the puck frequently on his stick in high danger areas and he’s not scoring. Any other player who’s scored at the NHL level wouldn’t waste those chances.

We send him back to Spokane, he’ll be a better player next year. We have one rushed and frustrated high pick already we don’t need two.

We’re getting the chances and we’re not scoring, McLellan needs to adjust things, since some player groups just don’t work, Lucic-RNH, Jokinen-Letestu,

If we play our systems like we did today, get good goaltending, and put the puck in the net more, we’ll be fine. No need to do anything drastic.

78. Mike Modano's Dog says:

russ99:
    TheVengeFulOne,

I agree with your sentiment about rushed picks, 100%. Add to that Leon being brought in his first season when he was in over his head and burning a year off his ELC, which was ridiculous, and made us lock him in this year after one majorly good year.

I would send Yamamoto back before 10 games. The question of course is who takes his spot, but that is not Yamamoto’s responsibility, nor should he be kept up because of holes in the lineup.

Man, this should have been addressed in the off-season…instead we got AHL hires, and of those exclusively the types of players who, at best, are 4th liners, or 7-8 defensemen.

It may be too early to panic but I am starting to. I hear talk that if we can just win the next 3 games we will be at .500, but from here it looks like after 3 more games being in even deeper trouble is more likely.

I sure hope Leon’s return is impactful!

79. OriginalPouzar says:

How is a 19 year old player, in his draft plus 2 year a bust?

If drafted out of the CHL, he wouldn’t even be eligible for the AHL, he’d still be in junior.

Players develop at different rates. Maybe at some point we consider he won’t live up to his 4th overall pedigree but that does not mean bust, that does not mean solid career and valuable player.

Nugent Hopkins has not lived up to his draft day pedigree but he’s not a bust, not in my opinion.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

Leon Draisaitl had 2 points in 6 games in his draft plus 2 year in the AHL.

Playing with Josh Currie and Ty Rattie isn’t ideal for an offensive player.

81. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

OriginalPouzar,

That’s the problem … not sure JP is an offensive player. Ty Rattie might be wondering if playing with Josh Currie and JP isn’t ideal for an offensive player right about now. It’s a matter of perspective.

82. hags9k says:

I remain more optimistic than most about JPs ceiling. I still think he is a superior prospect to Kailer who has been very good. JP just needs time. I see a lot of Sundin in him.

The angled touch pass to 97 in preseason was special. I think he will be a force, but we will have to wait for all that pizza to fill into the proper places.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

Mark Schiefle:

– Draft plus 1 – Back to junior

– Draft plus 2 – 4 NHL games with 0 points and back to junior

– Draft plus 3 – 24 points in 63 NHL games

– Draft plus 4 – 49 points in 82 games

– Draft plus 5 – 61 points in 71 games

– Draft plus 6 – 82 points in 79 games

I’m not sure, Jesse Puljijarivi, the AHL 5 games in to his draft plus 2 year, is a draft bust.

84. thehop says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Mark Schiefle:

– Draft plus 1 – Back to junior

– Draft plus 2 – 4 NHL games with 0 points and back to junior

– Draft plus 3 – 24 points in 63 NHL games

– Draft plus 4 – 49 points in 82 games

– Draft plus 5 – 61 points in 71 games

– Draft plus 6 – 82 points in 79 games

Please continue to show this post to anyone who thinks he’s a bust.

#freeslepyshev

85. OriginalPouzar says:

JP is eligible to pay in the world junior hockey championships this year.

Sure, we can be disappointed in his arrows but the word “bust” is a bit unfair to the teenager.

86. Professor Q says:

He’s played half a year of AHL hockey and another half of NHL hockey.

And he just turned 19.

I thought you guys were big on larger sample sizes?

Yeah, so he wasn’t a Laine or Matthews. There are 2000+ other players who aren’t, either.

87. GMB3 says:

I’m not sure we have very good left wing depth either.