The Bakersfield Condors are five games into their 68-game schedule and there’s only the first hints of what is to come over a long AHL season. Still, I’m fairly certain we have enough statistical information to argue over well past midnight. Let’s talk about the blue.
CONDORS DEFENSE 2017-18
- This is really early. Also, I counted the ev gf-ga by hand, so there may be a mistake or two in those numbers.
- Ethan Bear has had an electric start to the season, two shots and they both went in! All of his points at even strength (all Condors blue have posted their boxcars on the 5×5 apparently), and a stunning 8-2 GF-GA run in the same discipline. He’s doing very well.
- Ryan Mantha has also done well in the first weeks of his pro career. Nine shots on goal, picked up two assists in the same game, he’s played some with Keegan Lowe and Dillon Simpson.
- Dillon Simpson appears to be the reliable vet in the group, despite entering just his fourth pro season. He’s shooting a lot more than one year ago (58 shots in 53 games 2016-17) but that probably evens out over time. He’s going to be in the mentor role, suspect he and Keegan Lowe will be covering off mistakes for most of the year.
- Caleb Jones has struggled based purely on numbers, he’s -5 at evens gf-ga and there are injuries so he may have been playing when sitting a game would have been beneficial. Jones was fantastic in Oilers camp, he may post Bear-like numbers in the next five so no panic.
- Ziyat Paigin has played in three games so far, he was a little behind the others based on camp. Seems to be low-event so far but that’s just a guess.
If they needed a recall tonight, I’d hope Dillon Simpson would be the name chosen. Bear is having a nice start to the season, suspect the Oilers are better off allowing him to build on that success over the coming months. Remember, in camp it was Jones who looked like he was ahead of the rest. A month from now it could be another player.