Burn that Candle

Tyler Benson is off to the Vancouver Giants (WHL) organization, in the hopes of playing a complete and productive season between this day and spring. It’s beyond vital for Benson, who has missed substantial time due to injury over the last two seasons.

INJURY HISTORY

• 2015-16: Missed all but two games after January 1 due to pubic bone issue. Source
  • 2016-17: Missed all but 33 games due to similar injury, led to hernia surgery in summer. Source

Benson has played 63 of 144 WHL games over the last two seasons (44 percent) and that kind of absence impacts development. This is serious business, a young man’s career is at least somewhat in doubt and his outer marker is probably less than it might have been. Edmonton took the risk (lots of talent still available when Benson was chosen) and so far it doesn’t look fabulous. A full season (Giants have played 12 of 72 games already) will give us a good idea about him as a prospect. If he can’t play in most of those 60 games (and possibly World Juniors), well that tells us a story as well.

MARC POULIOT INJURY HISTORY

• Injured at the Top Prospects game before his draft in 2003 when Dion Phaneuf leveled him with a vicious (and clean) check.
  • In the summer of 2003 he got hurt at the Canadian WJC camp in Calgary (hip) and that had a major impact on his 18-year old season. It also hurt his performance at the Oilers rookie camp just two months after being drafted.
  • In November 2003 he suffered an abdominal injury and missed the Q/Russia prospects game and he played on 42 QMJHL games that season, finally having surgery in Montreal in summer 2004 to repair the abdominal tissues.
  • He played 3 weeks with a broken wrist during the 2003-04 season.

This was all in one calendar year and his maladies (including mono during the Stanley run in 2006) continued unabated. It had a major impact on Pouliot’s NHL career (192 games). In his draft+1 year, MP played 42 of 70 games (60 percent).

IS BENSON THE NEW POULIOT?

We don’t know what we don’t know, but at this  point the Oilers can’t count on Tyler Benson to emerge whole next fall as a ready pro player. If he can play most of the final 60 Giants’ games this season, plus some playoffs (perhaps a trade to a stronger team) we may be able to change the story. Right now, a lot of questions face Benson this winter, he’ll have the opportunity to start building a resume in the coming days.

43 Responses to "Burn that Candle"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

This was fantastic news when I saw it this morning as its a bit earlier than the prior most recent info (which stated early November)

He is practicing with the Giants tomorrow and I wonder if he’ll get in to any games this week.

He’s on the WHL team for the CHL/RUS series and I would guess he’ll be available to play for that now.

2. LMHF#1 says:

Counting on Benson for anything at all at this point would be a big mistake.

All the best, but it’s a damn long road ahead.

3. thehop says:

This is like… muthafucking.. pikes peak

4. thehop says:

i miss Tyler pitlick

5. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m looking forward to Benson re-establishing himself as a material prospect.

His ceiling remains high – he needs to play.

I look forward to a full season from here on out, a spot on the WJHC team and a good summer of training to get ready to turn pro next year and, likely, spend the season in Bakersfield.

I’m rooting for ya Tyler – the organization could sure you another material forward prospect.

6. TheVengeFulOne says:

Maybe he can play 1RW with McDavid. Call him up.

7. Mr. D. says:

The fact is our best forwards and defense need to lead this team. Don’t rely on the role guys.if we rely on 3rd and 4th I liners to win games we are fked.

8. leadfarmer says:

We need a Pitlick replacement to continue the Oregon trail

9. GMB3 says:

Mr. D.:

10. stush18 says:

Slepyshev-mcdavid-drai
    Lucic-strome-kassian
    Maroon-nuge-cags
    Malone-letestu-Pak

This is what I’d run right now. Slepy has earned his shot, he looks good. I love the idea of feeding him one timers from the other side. He also normally plays off wing.

Lucic seems to have chem with strome and kassian.

Maroons been a dissapointment imo, but Jean played well with nuge and cags over husband career.

11. Washingtron says:

But he also might be Klefbom who had a rough go and wound up being, what’s the word i’m Looking for? DREAMY. Fingers crossed, candles lit.

12. thehop says:

leadfarmer,

I’ve had a glass of wine and the Oregon Trail analogy eludes me…

Pray tell

13. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! Benson: meh: it was a big risk taking him. Not surprising trajectory given history

– Montreal is in a world of hurt. I wonder if we could trade with them:

“Rookie Victor Mete isn’t going back to junior hockey in the near future. This is his ninth NHL game and his entry-level contract will kick in with the Kings game Thursday. While Julien is happy with his top pair of Mete and Shea Weber, he has split Karl Alzner and Jeff Petry. Alzner will play with Jordie Benn, while the struggling Petry joins Brandon Davidson on the third pair.”

14. LMHF#1 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Petry for ??

15. HT Joe says:

LMHF#1:
    Kinger_Oil.redux,

Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Petry for ??

Lucic for ??

16. texmex says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Petry @ $5.5 million? I wouldn’t do that trade if I’m chai. Petry is decent, but is not worth that money IMO

17. leadfarmer says:

thehop:
    leadfarmer,

I’ve had a glass of wine and the Oregon Trail analogy eludes me…

Pray tell

Very very old and popular video game where you formed a crew and embarked on the Oregon trail and your crew would succumb to various and numerous diseases such as dyptheria and snake bite. Pubitis was not a thing yet

18. Ice Sage says:

thehop:
    leadfarmer,

I’ve had a glass of wine and the Oregon Trail analogy eludes me…

Pray tell

Me too – I think the Donner Party were heading further south

19. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

LMHF#1:
    Kinger_Oil.redux,

Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Petry for ??

– Petry has a NMC this year, and a modified NTC next year: pretty sure Oil would be on that list!

20. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

texmex:
    Kinger_Oil.redux,

– yeah, I wasn’t advocating a trade for D: I just found that quote interesting about Petry-Davidson.

– They aren’t scoring goals either, and they have made some agressive moves. I wonder if there is a hockey trade that makes sense between the two teams?

21. jp says:

texmex:
    Kinger_Oil.redux,

I dunno, I might (I would) take on a few extra bucks in a Petry for Russell swap.

22. Lloyd B. says:

Who are these guys dressed up as Eagles?

23. hags9k says:

LT, too soon for a hard target search RW post? Who might be available other than Iggy?

24. Pescador says:

leadfarmer: Very very old and popular video game where you formed a crew and embarked on the Oregon trail and your crew would succumb to various and numerous diseases such as dyptheria and snake bite.Pubitis was not a thing yet

Pubitis was actually a thing back then, it’s just that they called it Crotch Rot. It was commonly treated with Snake Oil and of course- Leeches.

Lloyd B.:
    Who are these guys dressed up as Eagles?

Peters going down really hurts. Plus this game isn’t over, but the Eagles are playing well for sure.

hags9k:
    LT, too soon for a hard target search RW post?Who might be available other than Iggy?

I may try to tack on a quick look tomorrow morning.

27. Chester Copperpot says:

hags9k:

28. hags9k says:

Awesome thanks. I’m thinking it’s a mistake if they keep KY past 9 games. I think JP can do it but when it comes to these young players, I almost always overestimate their ceiling. Emotion and optimism get in my way. We might need to bring somebody in.

29. hags9k says:

Chester Copperpot: If the Rangers go south this season, Rick Nash is the holy grail of rental forwards.

Good point, the season needs to play out before we know which clubs are sellers. Problem is we need help now.

30. Showerhead says:

31. hags9k says:

Showerhead,

And he could skate with 97. Man that would be fun to see that.

32. Pescador says:

Showerhead: I like the idea of Rick Nash a lot. Volume shooter with an established finishing skill, he’s scored on just 1 out of 39 shots so far this season. If there’s any chance New York thinks he’s spent, he could probably do a lot of damage in the right role.

Just a guess, likely will cost a 1st plus. Looking like a higher pick then last year.
    Are you willing to pay that?
    Am I off on the cost?

33. Showerhead says:

hags9k,

On paper, I think it’s perfect.

Pescador,

Oh geez. Sounds about right to me – maybe more? I have no idea with these things. If Edmonton is looking at home ice advantage by then, I say probably..? How about you – thoughts?

I’ll be honest though – it kinda grates me that Edmonton is already so desperate for depth scoring. I would have thought McDavid’s 3rd year on ELC would have been the one to load up for.

34. maudite says:

Missing in the 2nd round is one of the things that I believe has really handicapped this organization for a very long time. Although we haven’t kept most of them, I think we have found and mismanaged enough later pieces but that 2nd round is a void. The 2nd of PRV/Hall/Nuge draft should have produced at least 1 key piece for this team and it really didn’t.

2009 Anton Lander 40th – 51 Brian Dmoulin, 52 Panik, 54 Eric Gelinas, 55 Dmitri Orlov, 59 Pirri, 60 Tatar
    2010 31st: Pitlick, 46th Maricin – 2nd’s I’d rather have than ours – Justin Faulk 37, Jon Merrill 38, Ryan Spooner 42, Tyler Toffoli 47

2011 31st David Musil – Boone Jenner 37th, John Gibson 39th, Viktor Rask 42nd, Brandon Saad 43rd, Markus Granlund 45th, Matthew Nieto 47th, William Karlsson 53rd, Nikita Kucherov 58th

***In hindsight 2011 was a pretty solid class from top to bottom produced a lot of NHL games. Tampa Bay owes a lot of where it is right now to this draft.***

2012 32nd Mitch Moroz – anything really anything. **to be fair top to bottom this draft really was underwhelming.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

Game Day!

Go Oilers!

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Looking forward to the verbal after practice (presumably) that Drai and Drake are cleared to play for tonight.

Lets go Oilers!

37. Pouzar says:

Our favorite Female insider is at it again.

38. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:
    Our favorite Female insider is at it again.

Who and what please?

39. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: Who and what please?

I don’t have twitter at the moment but it was “Talking to MTL, multiplayer involving RNH”

It’s more humorous than anything else. I don’t think this person has gotten anything right since the Tambo era if I understand correctly.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

Thanks – who is the source? Joanne Ireland or somebody like that?

41. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Thanks – who is the source?Joanne Ireland or somebody like that?

Anonymous twitter handle(TreenasOil) who some have hypothesized was connected to the Tambo regime somehow. Hit on some old rumors but dry ever since. I only mention them here in jest.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Gotcha – thanks Pouz.

I have seen a few reference to “our favorite female insider” but didn’t know who it was in reference to.

The MTL rumors seem to not even be real rumors – they started from Friedman simply spit-balling that he thinks there is a deal to be made centered around Nuge and Max P. – he wasn’t providing any inside information or intel that there have been talks, just his brainstorming of a deal that could work for both teams.

Some of the blogging community and social media community are running with it but I don’t think there is actually anything there in reality except that both teams are failing to meet expectations so far and are likely in need of changes.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

I put even less stock in to a twitter account that requires approval to follow and has an avatar like this one does.

Bah!