AHL Game Six: Heat at Condors

The Bakersfield Condors are 3-2-0 so far this season and coming off strong showings last weekend against the Ontario Reign. Tonight and tomorrow the Condors will play at home against the Stockton Heat—a more substantial opponent. Bakersfield is averaging 2.2 goals for and 2.6 goals against this year, while the Heat are running 3.86-3.00. This will be a big test.

CONDORS TONIGHT

• The Condors need a skill center for Jesse Puljujarvi. Josh Currie has real ability as an AHL player but last season Anton Lander was part of the mix. No Anton Lander is playing tonight. This is damned important and that doesn’t change just because no one is talking about it.
  • Joey Laleggia is a possible recall option, a good way to keep track is offensive output. So far this year he has had an impact (four points in five games) and we’ll wait to see if he can sustain a nice start.
  • Brad Malone impressed in his quick NHL look (three games) and could return to the Oilers in the coming days. A strong showing in Bakersfield will keep him top of mind with management in Edmonton.
  • I’m interested in seeing Joe Gambardella’s role and whether or not he moves up. I think he might be the best candidate for Puljujariv’s center.
  • Ethan Bear is off to a dandy start with four points in five AHL games. He ranks No. 4 in points by defensemen but has some games in hand over those ahead of him.
  • Caleb Jones and Ryan Mantha are playing together again this weekend, Condors lack of experience (there are some injured hands like Keegan Lowe and Mark Fayne) making this necessary. It’s been a struggle so far, we’ll see how these two men do against a pretty good Stockton hockey team.
  • Ziyat Paigin and Ben Betker are looking to impress, if they can show well one or both may stay inside the top 6D when the injured men return.

TYLER BENSON

Tonight marks the end of Tyler Benson’s long rehab and the return to regular season action. He’ll suit up for the Vancouver Giants this evening and I’ll post updates on his progress throughout the evening in the comments section. Incredibly, Benson isn’t the final Oilers prospect to play a regular season game this year. John Marino and his Harvard squad start their season on Sunday. Of note, Philip Kemp begins his NCAA career this evening with Yale University. Updates on all through the evening.

56 Responses to "AHL Game Six: Heat at Condors"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

From an interview I heard with Fleming yesterday, Jesse’s low box numbers and shot totals are not indicative of his play.

He is working on some things (stops and starts, etc.) but he has been driving offence and creating scoring chances. His last game, zero point and zero shot, was, apparently, a very good game for his – lots of creation and play driving.

Fleming did say that he was developing chemistry with Currie so they probably won’t put Malone back as his center right away.

I do wonder if the lack of offensive acumen among his linemates is actually something that could hamper him and if he’d be better served in the NHL after a few more games?

Lets not forget, Leon played 6 games with 2 points and was a -5 when he got recalled. I think he’s establishing himself as an every day NHL player….

2. Westchester Oil says:

Yakupov with a giveaway, Perron scores on the breakaway. 1-0 VGK

3. OriginalPouzar says:

“The Condors need a skill center for Jesse Puljujarvi. Josh Currie has real ability as an AHL player but last season Anton Lander was part of the mix. No Anton Lander is playing tonight. This is damned important and that doesn’t change just because no one is talking about it.”

I’ve been talking about it but noone wants to talk about it with me – prior to last all anyone wanted to talk about was Chiarelli’s lost bets and some in depth analysis of Eberle that likely includes if he pees sitting down or standing up when he’s on centeral time.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Very excited for Benson to get back in to action – they play 3 games this weekend, I wonder if he might get rested for one? Likely only around 12 minutes a night but great to have him playing games.

I am not looking back, just forward with this prospect. I know the lost development time is substantial but he is still a real propsect if he can play the rest of the year and I imagine the ceiling is still there.

I’m really rooting for Tyler this winter – it would be huge if we could add him in the winger prospect pool along with Puljijarvi, Yamamoto, Safin and Maksimov.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Looking for Ellis to continue his amazing start – another player of the week award perhaps.

6. Chachi says:

OriginalPouzar:

Definitely sitting down, way too lazy to stand.

7. Westchester Oil says:

Sorry for going off-topic here, but I’m watching Vegas beating Colorado 4-0. Four goals on 13 shots. Vegas couldn’t make the playoffs, could they??

Some fun facts from Corsica Hockey: rankings by team

Edm VGK
    xGF% 1st 28th
    CF% 1st 29th
    Sh% 30th 9th
    PDO 26th 6th

Oilers shooting percentage and PDO would have been much worse before last night.

8. nelson88 says:

LT.

You made a comment recently along the lines that some smart hockey minds have told you they don’t think Nurse will develop into top tier NHL D. Can you summarize their thought process.. Lack of hockey sense?

9. Nuclear leak says:

Malone could literally sit at centre ice and shit himself and he’ll be recalled, he’s impressed and his play should have him in the bigs. As much as Garrison has fallen off a cliff, teams can’t get enough D for the playoffs, he has a shot that may convert a few volleys on the power play. Khaira or Pak and Fayne for Garrison and Shippy

Puljujarvi should be in the bigs and given every chance that Yamamoto has been given in a feature role and judged from there. He has hockey sense, clearly the most underrated and highly likely best shot on the team, size.. his preseason tip play to Mcdavid that lead to a goal should of score him the at bats.

He’s not nasty or very good against the boards, Leon didn’t perfect his butt check until last feb or so, kassian has no board sense, Lucic is only good against the boards behind the net, otherwise liability city, coaches know this and plug him high to the line to compensate for his lack of foot speed. Nuge and Strome battling for pucks against the boards while Lucic loads his shot up is rather bizarro world.

Puljujarvi may be the most underrated defensive forward on the team and highly likely again he’s top 5 on the current squad.

If the kids biggest flaw is his starts and stops, half this team should be filing retirement papers.

Baffling that a team myriad in scoring woes, playing slow, dragging a bunch of hitch hikers is not giving a giant Finnish driver an opportunity to help.

#freepoolparty

nelson88:
    LT.

Phil Kemp scores a goal in his first college game. I swear to God the U.S. National Development Team has so much talent it’s impossible to know about these kids. His scouting reports all suggested he was shy offensively, so this probably doesn’t happen often.

12. stush18 says:

Going on the record I think he’s going to be a steal. Some scouting service(s?) has him ranked a lot higher than where he was taken

stush18: Honestly I was confused watching him at development camp, because I really didn’t see what his scouting report was describing. I thought he looked really good, one of the better defenders.

Yeah, it’s weird. I’m a big believer in the Black Book and they quoted an NHL scout: ”Solid player but nothing high-end. No offense and just average feet. not on my list but I could see him being drafted. – NHL Scout (June 2017)

14. nelson88 says:

Ah.

I don’t think he will ever be a top end offensive player at the NHL level but a better version of Adam Larrson is certainly obtainable as he matures and stops trying to do too much. Good defensively, punishing and with the ability to put up 20 – 30 points with little PP time. Not everyone’s cup of tea but pretty much ideal D in my mind when signed to a reasonable contract where you don’t pay for PP points.

15. Acumen says:

Lowetide: It has mostly to do with a “model’ for young defensemen and how quickly they make themselves known as being something substantial. The argument isn’t about whether or not Nurse can play, but rather whether he’ll make a difference.

Honest question. Sometimes I can’t trust my eyeballs so I wanted to see what the crowd is thinking.

Edit: Nelson88, that’s kind of what I’m beginning to see. I’ve always said his ceiling is Jason Smith, and Jason Smith was damn good. An essential player in a top 4 for a decade. I’m seeing real signs of Nurse stepping into that role this year. Would not have said that at all in years past.

Acumen: I’ve been really busy and haven’t kept up on my blogs as much this season, but I have perceived a big step forward from him this year (seen all but 3 games). That last pass after the rush is still eluding him and he really has to work on his point shot, but I have seen him tighten up his game everywhere else. Was talking about it with a friend over the weekend who said he saw the same. Has anyone else thought this? Am I just seeing him good?

I think he has stepped forward but it’s a small sample size. If he’s consistent through 20 games, we’ll have a helluva storyline to follow the rest of the season.

17. who says:

I think a Jason Smith ceiling is selling him short. Smith could only dream of skating as well as Nurse and Nurse brings everything else that Smith did right now.

18. Justthestatsman says:

I know it’s early but Vegas can’t make the playoffs, can they?

Tyler Vesel with an assist tonight.

20. Ryan says:

Justthestatsman:
    I know it’s earlybut Vegas can’t make the playoffs, can they?

Dellow does not think so.

21. OriginalPouzar says:

Nobody has ever been more tired in their lives – why did I drive back to Calgary right after the game last night?

I will not be able to stay up for even close to the entire Condors game and I have guilt about that fact as I was looking forward to “watching the boxscore”

22. TheVengeFulOne says:

OriginalPouzar:

I’ll take that challenge. I have been studying multivariate statistics for 12 hours today.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

Multivariate statistic – sounds made up.

Do you wake up at 3:45am every day for an 85 min workout prior to the 10-12 horus at the office?

Kidding – that sounds exhausting, I’m sure you do win.

24. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: 10-12 horus at the office?

whores
    or
    hours?

10-12 hours does not make me too tired.

10-12 of the other thing, Id be pretty tired too.

25. TheVengeFulOne says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Multivariate statistic – sounds made up.

Kidding – that sounds exhausting, I’m sure you do win.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson in the starting lineup for the Giants tonight.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

TheVengeFulOne: Wish I could work out in the morning. I can run, but lifts are way lower and I get demoralized.

Really enjoy the early morning lifting.

28. TheVengeFulOne says:

OriginalPouzar: That’s too bad – I don’t seem to have any problem with strength – I’m maybe not quite as strong as at the more “optimal” afternoon/evening slots but it doesn’t seem material.

Really enjoy the early morning lifting.

There’s nothing better than a morning swim though.

29. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: but it doesn’t seem material

Everybody drink!

30. OriginalPouzar says:

Pasquale starting tonight which, is ridiculous in my mind considering how dominant Ellis was last weekend and who the actual prospect is.

He’s let in an early goal on the third 3 shots.

31. Lloyd B. says:

OriginalPouzar:

He’s let in an early goal on the third 3 shots.

Back to back games. They get one each?

32. Jaxon says:

Holy shite, that 3rd pairing is large. Paigin is 6’6″, 210lbs and Betker is 6’6″, 228lbs. That can’t be fun for the opposition. And the 2nd pair has Mantha, who is 6’5″, 229lbs. Yikes.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

3 shots for Puljijarivi in the first period.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Lloyd B.: Back to back games. They get one each?

Probably – Ellis played both last weekend and was off the charts good – AHL player of the week.

Would have thought he’d start the next game.

35. Pescador says:

TheVengeFulOne: There’s nothing better than a morning swim though.

Nothing?

36. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

OriginalPouzar:
    3 shots for Puljijarivi in the first period.

I really want this young man to play “pissed-off”, like he deserves to be on the Big Club. Needs to dominate … maybe he’s beginning to get it.

37. meanashell11 says:

I know him, I know his family, and I told you so! Check the tape! I also told everyone here aboutJohn Hayden!

38. ZL1986 says:

Umm, can we talk about offloading the fin while he still has value?

39. VOR says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Multivariate statistic – sounds made up.

Kidding – that sounds exhausting, I’m sure you do win.

In multivariate analysis, you are concerned with the joint analysis of multiple dependent variables. These variables can be represented using matrices and vectors. This provides a simple notation and a way to elegantly express complex ideas and formulas. Matrices and vectors are also way fun to play with.

For non math nerds a real world example might help. Say I know VO2 Max and maximum single repetition squat are predictors of skating speed as measured by max speed red line to red line (they are by the way) and that as athletes train to improve their performance in these variables tests of their true skating speed also increase (they do). But the relationship of either variable to skating speed isn’t linear and it is possible that VO2 max and single repetition maximum squat are actually related somehow, that one is dependent on the other.

I can use the tools of multivariate statistical tools to determine if they are linked – dependent or independent (and as it happens they are linked) and then to explore the relationship among the three things (max VO2, maximum single repetition squat, and skating speed). This relationship turns out to be complicated in really interesting ways and there turn out to be far more variables in play than just the two dependent variables mentioned here.

As an aside, TheVenegfulOne – I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish with your training regime but I have to say this – how much weight you can lift on any given day is a really poor way to figure out if you are getting stronger or not – it almost always leads to demoralizing and demotivating failures. Maxing out too often or even worrying about the base weight you are using in your reps is just going to prevent you getting stronger. It is also a misunderstanding of progressive resistance training. What matters is that the weight you are trying to lift is one you struggle to rep out with but can succeed in lifting with adequate focus and effort. The weight you should be working with will vary from day to day and it will vary at different times of day but if your lifting routine is always stimulating your muscles maximally you will get ever stronger.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

Boil-in-the-Oil: I really want this young man to play “pissed-off”,like he deserves to be on the Big Club. Needs to dominate … maybe he’s beginning to get it.

41. VOR says:

OriginalPouzar: He should also be pissed off that there is noone for him to play with in the Bake and its going to be very tough for him to put up box cars without any offensive acumen to play with.

What I’d really like to see is Jesse Puljujarvi playing with a guy like Winky Smith.

42. bendelson says:

OriginalPouzar,

I’d like to see acumen become a more material word In your posts…

43. TheVengeFulOne says:

VOR: In simplistic terms, uni-variate statistics are concerned with a single random scalar variable Y.

meanashell11:

Yes you did! 🙂

45. VOR says:

TheVengeFulOne: I know. I can tell that I’m weaker in the morning though. Even 225 on bench feels like the weight of the world. Maybe that is just me though. I’ve worked out long enough that I have a pretty good baseline. I’m basically just maintaining, and not pushing numbers lest I become a gorilla.

What I was trying to say is that many people are weaker in the morning. I could introduce you to any number of Olympians with this exact problem. This doesn’t mean they shouldn’t work out in the morning. It just means they should have lower expectations for the amount of weight they will be training with in the mornings.

I have been watching this local guy, Anton Timoshin go from a classic physique bodybuilder to a super heavy weight in under a year (a 23 pound increase and counting). It is an amazing transformation. While I would never do this to my body you have to admire such complete commitment. I would never refer to him as a gorilla but I think this is what many people worry will happen to them if they train hard. It won’t, if you read Anton’s posts you will realize most people couldn’t ever force themselves to do what it takes.

46. stush18 says:

TheVengeFulOne,

Nah I have the same problem.

Max out my reps in the evening or afternoon, and struggle to finish my sets in the morning.

Cardio goes better in the morning, imo

47. VOR says:

stush18:
    TheVengeFulOne,

Nah I have the same problem.

Cardio goes better in the morning, imo

48. OmJo says:

I really want Benson to become our Pageau.

49. TheVengeFulOne says:

stush18:
    TheVengeFulOne,

Nah I have the same problem.

Cardio goes better in the morning, imo

Yeah. Read a lot of research on intermittent fasting, and it seems that a fasted state helps endurance.

50. TheVengeFulOne says:

VOR: I will say it again, there is far more benefit in terms of strength development in sets you struggle to finish than in maxed out reps. Now I do have to say, that I, like nearly every strength and conditioning coach, have been described as a sadist. I am not really a sadist I just have this well entrenched world view – when its easy it is an utter waste of time.

But does stuggling due to a lack of stored carbs (just my thoughts), or sleepiness really equal lack of strain? I know muscles don’t know weight differences, but tiredness doesn’t necessarily correlate to amount of muscle fibre torn.

51. --hudson-- says:

Tyler Benson scored with a little under 5 minutes left in the game.

52. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson with the loan Giants goal in a 2-1 loss – 3 shots on net.

Bakersfield shut out, 3-0. Puljijarvi with 5 shots on net.

53. OriginalPouzar says:

I think the science is pretty clear that right after waking up won’t be the optimal time to lift weights.

With that said, its 3:55 am and I’m raring to go for this morning’s session.

Food certainly helps.

Over the last couple of years I have trained almost exclusively fasted in constant cut or maintenance mind-set (with some fasted training supplements in order to ensure no muscle loss). Even in maintenance I trained fasted in order to save the calories for later in the day (I count/track every single calorie and macro and hit certain numbers every day).

Now that I’ve transitioned to a clean bulk, I’m eating just prior to workout – 30g of fast digesting carbs and 30g of fast absorbing protein (instant oatmeal with a scoop of whey isolate and 50g of banana).

The food gives me the extra umph in the morning (along with the caffeine, amino acid and beta alanine based pre workout).

At the end of the day, I might not be at my strongest at 4:10am but its “my time” and I do many many many things to optimize my performance and results that there is only so much I can do – changing the scheduling of my workouts for some additional optimization seems too much at this points – its not like I’m a professional or anything.

54. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m guessing the same lineup as last game but we’ll see later this morn.

I don’t like Letestu not on the fourth line but I like the top 2 lines with Strome looking better on Nuge’s right side.

55. meanashell11 says:

Sounds like you need a gaussian copula!

56. OriginalPouzar says: