AHL Game Nine: Stars at Condors

The 4-4-0 Bakersfield Condors take on Texas (5-3-1) tonight in California. Oilers fans are interested in monitoring the progress of Jesse Puljujarvi (8gp, 1-3-4) and the injury status of defender Ethan Bear (left early last night with injury).

STARTING LINEUP

• Mitch Callahan—Brad Malone—Jesse Puljujarvi
  • Joey Laleggia—Grayson Downing—Ty Rattie
  • Ryan Hamilton—Joe Gambardella—Dave Gust
  • Braden Christoffer—Josh Currie—Patrick Russell
  • Dillon Simpson—Ben Betker
  • Ryan Stanton—Ryan Mantha
  • Caleb Jones—Ziyat Paigin
  • Eddie Pasquale (Nick Ellis)

Ethan Bear is out, we’ll hopefully find out about him during tonight’s broadcast. The Condors have some interesting talent but Puljujarvi is the man this night and every other one he spends in California.

EVEN-STRENGTH SCORERS

1. Ethan Bear 8gp, 2-2-4
  2. Joey Laleggia 8gp, 1-3-4
  3. Braden Christoffer 8gp, 2-2-4
  4. Dave Gust 7gp, 3-0-3
  5. Jesse Puljujarvi 8gp, 0-3-3
  6. Joe Gambardella 7gp, 1-2-3
  7. Josh Currie 8gp, 0-3-3
  8. Ryan Mantha 8gp, 0-3-3

Updates throughout the evening.

76 Responses to "AHL Game Nine: Stars at Condors"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Kyle Platzer was the ECHL player of the month for October.

He’s likely to get a recall to Bakersfield once we call up Yamomoto’s replacement.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

I know Bear left the game last night but have heard nothing about the actual injury – hopefully he is not out long.

I still can’t believe I’m hearing Oiler fans, some seemingly knowledgeable, calling for his recall to help our PP.

Development in the proper league is a thing!

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Its great to have Stanton back – he should help with the mentoring and give Simpson some competition for the first call-up (the Auvitu replacement).

I thought Fayne was ready to go for tonight (that’s what Fleming said on Monday) – I wonder if he’s just not quite ready or they didn’t want to put 2 new guys in the lineup (or take out one of Betker/Paigin).

4. sliderule says:

OriginalPouzar:

Development in the proper league is a thing!

You only have to watch Bear run a power play to see his skill.
    He would help the oilers win.
    I don’t think he can play defence at NHL level but you could hide him on third pair

5. hunter1909 says:

I thought the 2016-17 season ended my following Oiler prospects forever.

Okay, so I was wrong.

JP’s progress has now started to grow in significance directly in relation to Oiler’s 3-7-1 record.

Should Taylor Hall wreak vengeance and Oilers sink to 3-8-1 we will be making a 15-20% stronger amount of panic re the state of these Oilers.

Who said Math isn’t fun?

6. hunter1909 says:

sliderule: You only have to watch Bear run a power play to see his skill.
    He would help the oilers win.

Make him a PP specialist. Like Montreal Canadiens did with Yvan Cournoyer. Canadiens were the greatest dynasty imaginable(1956-79) at that time of course.

7. hunter1909 says:

If they decide to bring back OIL CHANGE I’ll definitely start panicking.

8. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar: My god, this guy has played less than 10 games as a pro and, because he’s played well with the perfect partner (Simpson), some are screaming for his recall.

Fuck development.

I say bring Simpson up with him. Stranger things have shaken up championship teams before.

9. digger50 says:

When is the “appropriate” time to panic? I’m not sure.

Peter blew the summer but that’s old news.

Todd may still figure out his line up and PK . This is wearing thin.

Connor may still save the season.

What’s our absolute, no hope left mark?

10. OriginalPouzar says:

sliderule: You only have to watch Bear run a power play to see his skill.
    He would help the oilers win.

I don’t deny his skill.

I deny his ability to play hockey at the NHL level outside of the PP and I don’t believe any player can be hidden on the ice – I saw Crosby out against Auvitu and Russell last night, and that was at home.

I guess we could dress 7D, only play him on the PP and not play the 4th line (or double shift McDavid an Drai on there – not that they aren’t getting too much ice as it is).

The other option is to give the player the privilege of developing his game in the proper league. I kind of thing we owe it to him and to the fans who would like to see him reach his potential.

11. Evilas says:

I think they should use Auvitu on the PP, I think he is as good at moving the puck as any other Dman on this roster.

He would be a superior option to Benning and Russell, I thought the goal was to win?

12. anjinsan says:

Can you imagine the current Oiler team rectifying and killing it? Right, I thought so.
    Do you realize we had Hall? And Schultz, two-time cup winner? (And 16 and 33…oh well).
    Eberle could have been traded for Gudbranson.
    I think, LT, you’re going to be rehashing the same stuff all season long, excruciatingly.
    Someone else made this point — the league changed in the direction of old Oiler hockey — speed and skill and smarts right when Chiarelli focused on hard and heavy.
    I suspect Hall is coming to town loading for a hat trick…will there be derision for Chiarelli…we wait, eh?

13. Bag of Pucks says:

I think it’s possible to be bullish on this team’s chances if you still believe in MacLellan. But that’s the big ‘if.’

Talbot will get better and given the way Nurse has played, the D core contains 6 legitimate NHLers playing in their slots once Sekera returns.

That leaves it to Todd and crew to fix the special teams and balance the scoring through the Top 9 at the least.

My take is Leon at 2C and Nuge at 3C gets you there. But Rishaug is also hanging the drum for Leon as RNH’s winger which I’ll admit is a novel idea worth a try. Moves you closer to Connor as Crosby model (ie generational player with serviceable wingers). Personally, I prefer RNH as McDavid’s LW with Strome at 3C. But the common denominator with all 3 approaches? TMac has to stop insisting on stapling Leon to Connor.

This coach has convinced himself he has a glass half empty lineup with one legitimate RW option in Leon. I think he has a glass half full lineup with 6 potential Cs, 2 of them elite and the other trending up. If he tailors his team to its strengths down the middle, the Ws will benefit and produce.

Can you imagine Scotty Bowman playing Fedorov as Yzerman’s Winger? But yet, here we are. This piss poor deployment is on the HC not the GM.

14. jfry says:

9 of the 12 forwards aren’t prospects or will ever play for the oilers. what a waste!!!

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Evilas:

I have expressed this.

Not that I think he should really be in the lineup very often, when he is I would think he should be on PP2 over Kris Russell, at least.

He doesn’t have a great shot but does have offensive instincts and I would think he could move the puck quicker/faster/smarter on the PP than Russell.

16. JimmyV1965 says:

Would love to see RNH with Drai. It brings a little more balance than we currently have. Ideally we split up all the top three Cs but I don’t think we have enuf competent wingers to do that. You could play him with McDavid too so he could tske the faceoffs.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Haven’t listened to the “Morning Mandate” for a few weeks given the general mood of Oil Country (save my online listening for the Lowdown and Oilers Now – sometimes will hit the archives of the Mandate or parts of the Gregor show) but I’ve been thinking about Drai on Nuge’s wing for a while.

To be clear, Nuge should retain the center responsibilities, generally, however, that option would still “stack” the top 6 but potentially spread out the offence a bit more between the top two lines.

I’m not sure who the 1RW would be – Strome will have to play 3C (he’s my choice if Nuge is 3C) but the other options are Puljijarvi, Drake and Slep.

Drake finished the playoffs there and he’s been skating well and tenacious since his return (coming close to finishing a few times).

18. deardylan says:

What would you feel/do in this scenario?

Your favourite sports team who have been in the bottom of league for over a decade and only 1 time could make the playoffs. This year they are expected to contend for the Stanley Cup and instead they are in the bottom of the league AGAIN and might miss the playoffs in the first quarter of the season?

I was wondering why I was in a bad mood lately when I listened to Oilers on the radio. Sometimes I had to shut it off…it was ruining my day.

Gary Vee recently put out a video that for me put it in perspective especially when I started this Oilers season with huge expectations.

The bigger the expectations = The bigger disappointment

Since 2006 Oilers have been close to last place every season. (Except for last year)
    Based on the rolling average how can we expect them to be a playoff team this year?
    Why would we not expect them to have a sophomore slump after last years first success?

If Oilers can move to top 20 this year they are trending upwards. Maybe make the playoff next year if we are lucky.

If they do make the playoffs again then year this is surprising bonus.

Lower your expectations = We can enjoy the development of the players instead of panicking and trading them at their lows.

When you feel down and out… watch Gary Vee’s recent post on Twitter “How to Deal with Rejection” Let me know how you feel after!

19. Bag of Pucks says:

OriginalPouzar,

Got to be better than status quo.

20. hunter1909 says:

Just checked out the NHL standings.

There are 5 teams which I would say have got elite records, and one of them is Vegas. The other teams are all in various variance of being in mediocre mode.

The Oilers aren’t too many W’s away from mediocreville themselves.

Therefore, when do we all start panicking?

21. VOR says:

And now for something completely different – a new Canadian legend is born – Corey Bellemore

22. stush18 says:

Bag of Pucks:

I’d love nuge and Leon together.

But let’s be honest. They need another winger, and they need to split up the three centres. We’re always going to get offense from our top six. It’s working right now.

We need more from the third line. Split up drai and mcdavid. I’d go a step further, and move maroon. He’s actually a huge boost for possession with basically whoever he’s plays with.

Slepy-mcdavid-strome
    Lucic-Leon-kass
    Maroon-nuge-cags

I’m really convinced mcdavid is going to produce regardless of who he’s with.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

Does this organization have a right winger (other than Drai) that is a true top line or second line right winger at this time? Answer is no!

With that said, the beauty of having super-elite players like McDavid is the potential to “zoom” a “non-legit top 6 winger” and create one in the short term. This is the current PIT model and the model our cap structure mandates we follow (in my opinion).

The main issue that I see is that the coach hasn’t actually tried any of the options – Strome, Caggulia Slep, JP. I don’t think any of these three players are currently legit top 6 players, however, I think there is reason to believe that any one of them could produce with McDavid (and maybe Leon) over time.

The coach has not tried these guys – at least for more than a period or two. The 1RWs this season has essentially been split between Drai and Yamamoto. Kailer got, what, 4-5 straight games and it was a failure (not only did he not produce but neither did Connor – the worst result possible).

Why haven’t any of the other 4 options actually been given a real shot?

My first choice (on the current roster) is Strome – this was the plan in September and, after a couple OK games, its been abandoned and never revisited.

Maybe we actually have a young winger that can play and produce with Connor this year? How about the coach actually gives these guys (one at a time) the opportunity – for a stretch of 4-5 games.

This hasn’t happened but it needs to.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

Oooof, Wells has given up 7 goals on 19 shots so far

25. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Oooof, Wells has given up 7 goals on 19 shots so far

Wells that’s not good at all…

EDM Prospect Watch‏ @EDProspectWatch 10m10 minutes ago
    Gerry Fleming saying that Ethan Bear got hit with a high hit last night. Currently going through concussion protocol. Listed as day-to-day.

27. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

I’d be interested in knowing how long it took for PIT to arrange their affairs and draft/develop their cadre of inexpensive/depth wingers that can produce with Crosby and Malkin?

28. Bag of Pucks says:

stush18,

I agree. My first preference is Leon at 2C and RNH at 3C. Strength down the middle. One line with a good C would get clean air every damn game. Unless they’re playing Pitt or TBay,

29. Professor Q says:

EDM Prospect Watch‏ @EDProspectWatch10m10 minutes ago

Why does this keep happening to us?

30. Professor Q says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:

7 to 8 years?

31. Bag of Pucks says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:

How the Penguins were built

32. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Does this organization have a right winger (other than Drai) that is a true top line or second line right winger at this time?Answer is no!

The main issue that I see is that the coach hasn’t actually tried any of the options – Strome, Caggulia Slep, JP.I don’t think any of these three players are currently legit top 6 players, however, I think there is reason to believe that any one of them could produce with McDavid (and maybe Leon) over time.

The coach has not tried these guys – at least for more than a period or two. The 1RWs this season has essentially been split between Drai and Yamamoto.Kailer got, what, 4-5 straight games and it was a failure (not only did he not produce but neither did Connor – the worst result possible).

Why haven’t any of the other 4 options actually been given a real shot?

This hasn’t happened but it needs to.

33. stush18 says:

Bag of Pucks:
    stush18,

I’d love to do what cooper does in Tampa, and dress only 11 forwards.

Makes it incredibly tough to line match, and you can basically run four skilled lines.

He tosses out kucherov or Stamkos for the odd extra shift, and runs 7 dmen.

34. stush18 says:

Bag of Pucks,

Also, it should be hard to do this, and give your true “top six” the special teams minutes.

It’s why I like coopers strategy so much. It’s tough to get into a game if you’re only playing 10 min a night, and most of these guys are good enough athletes to perform for closer to twenty.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

EDM Prospect Watch‏ @EDProspectWatch10m10 minutes ago

Just got home from the office and read that – wasn’t the news I was hoping for.

36. Pouzar says:

EDM Prospect Watch‏ @EDProspectWatch 3m3 minutes ago
    First period over. Condors lucky to be down by only one. Texas really carried the play. Stars goal coming off a bad Caleb Jones turnover.

EDM Prospect Watch‏ @EDProspectWatch 54s55 seconds ago
    Despite the bad turnover, I liked Jones. He dictates the pace of a game, which is rare.

37. Professor Q says:

Based on stories, Eddie Shore was the absolute great/asshat, but Potvin is a great example. I remember early in his career, maybe year two or three, he said “everyone talks about how great Orr is, check out my game” and it sent shockwaves. I mean seriously. And he WAS a great player by then. But he simply saw things in his own way.

I guess this was an Islanders thing?

Mike Bossy said the same thing about Gretzky and Trottier (with Trottier being better). Probably thought he himself was better than Kurri, too.

38. oscarmike says:

TM is a rookie killer. As soon as a rookie makes a mistake he benches them for most of the game. Give JP a real chance.
    Fire TM and Woodcroft. Bring back Todd Nelson
    Yak was playing his best hockey under him. Everybody was scoring then we get stuck with TM.

39. Bag of Pucks says:

stush18:
    Bag of Pucks,

Great points

40. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors have scored 2 in the third period to tie it up:

Joey LaLeggia from Ty Rattie and Grayson Downing

Ty Rattie from Dillon Simpson on the PP

Oooop, check that, Joe G. unassisted to give the Condors the lead.

Condors score two, Laleggia and Rattie, to tie in the third.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Whoa, and another – Rattie (his 2nd and 3rd point from Hamilton and Puljijarvi on a PP to give the Condors a 4-2 lead late (4 straight in the third).

Gambardella and then Rattie (assist JP) and it’s 4-2 in a crazy game.

44. Munny says:

Fischler writing about Shore back in 1967:

The stories about players bagging popcorn and blowing up balloons are legendary.

45. TheVengeFulOne says:

JimmyV1965: I was confident that we could find a RW internally because generational talents like McDavid make players better and unlock their talents. That’s what they do. But when you don’t actually play those guys with McDavid it’s a tad bit more challenging.

Rattie with the hattie, 5-2. I am so sorry. Callup Rattie?

47. Professor Q says:

Munny:
    Fischler writing about Shore back in 1967:

There was a movie about the Canadiens of yore, too, that I’ve never been able to find again. Lots of cocaine and call girls, and Rue Ste.-Catherine.

48. OriginalPouzar says:

Rattie with the hattie, 5-2. I am so sorry. Callup Rattie?

Last goal was empty net but, yes, I’m sure many are thinking that.

He’s had a few good games in a row which is nice after a very quiet camp and slow start to the season.

49. OriginalPouzar says:

From what I’ve read, Rattie was full value for his 4 points in the third – was flying out there.

50. stush18 says:

WHEns laleggia getting called up? When caguilla is traded for a dman?

Edit* or Rattie apparently

51. OriginalPouzar says:

I wasn’t impressed by Joey L. at all in exhibition – he’s fast but I think he is too slight for the NHL – can’t see him ever being productive in the NHL while being a 25 plus goal guy in the AHL.

Small sample size in exhibition is likely meaningless but there is something about his build and style that didn’t do it for me.

52. JimmyV1965 says:

TheVengeFulOne: This irks me. You would comprimise his offensive output for the sake of turning a B-C prospect into a 15 goal guy? Add that to the fact that we are more than 1 RW short. That’s the reason Drai was moved over in the first place. Just because you have connor mcdavid doesn’t mean you don’t have to actually build a hockey team.

53. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar: Last goal was empty net but, yes, I’m sure many are thinking that.

8 pts in last 5 games after going pointless in his first four games.

54. PunjabiOil says:

3 point night for Benoit Pouliot.

Strong even strength performer and best forward on the PK.

Also added the element of speed on the wing.

He was bought out for cap space they didn’t use.

Where is the logic/thought process in the decision to buy him out?

Peter Chiarelli should have been replaced yesterday.

55. stush18 says:

PunjabiOil,

Put in your resume. Looks like an easy enough job.

Apparently most of us could do it without even being near the team.

56. TheVengeFulOne says:

There might be 65 games for that after what the Moto trial did.

Why wouldn’t you get a bonifide nhler and play them with connor to see what they can do? Like maroon was. If you have no scoring on the RW to spread out, what is the point of playing someone incapable with connor. Todd has to make do with what he has, but why would Pete make that decision? It’s asinine.

57. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar:

He’s actually fairly heavy for his size.

If we want more team speed, he has it in spades. I’m really wondering if he will be called up when Yamamoto is (should be) sent down.

#WhatAreWeGonnaDoNow

The voices in your head are calling
    Stop wasting your time, there’s nothing coming
    Only a fool would think someone could save you
    The men at the factory are old and cunning
    You don’t owe nothing, so boy get runnin’
    It’s the best years of your life they want to steal

#IsMcDavidWorkingForTheClampdown

godot10:
    #WhatAreWeGonnaDoNow

The voices in your head are calling
    Stop wasting your time, there’s nothing coming
    Only a fool would think someone could save you
    The men at the factory are old and cunning
    You don’t owe nothing, so boy get runnin’
    It’s the best years of your life they want to steal

#IsMcDavidWorkingForTheClampdown

60. PunjabiOil says:

Put in your resume. Looks like an easy enough job.
    Apparently most of us could do it without even being near the team.

If it’s a difficult job, only makes sense to acquire the best person for it, no?

We have 2.5 years of Chiarelli in Edmonton. There is enough evidence to suggest he’s an organizational liability.

61. GMB3 says:

62. TheVengeFulOne says:

GMB3: Compromise his offensive output? The goal is having several lines capable of outscoring the opposition. Idc if McDavid never wins another Art Ross if it means having a truly dominant team. Crosby has a great year with Guentzel and Sheary last year. They weren’t exactly prospects with draft pedigree

63. hags9k says:

PunjabiOil,

You are a good poster but I think you are going way overboard here. 103 pts and game 7 second round in Chia’s 2nd season. Do we forget that quickly what the decade prior looked like?

Give them a break, things are going to turn around.

64. BONE207 says:

TheVengeFulOne: JimmyV1965: But how do we know what someone like Sleppy or the Drake can do with McDavid unless you actually play them with McDavid. How about a 5 game trial?
    There might be 65 games for that after what the Moto trial did.

This is what gets me.
    They had about 8 preseason games and now 10 regular season games with which to try some of these guys on lines with Connor, Leon, Nuge & Strome. Sure Slep was hurt but the other combinations they could have worked for 2-3 games at least to find out what they have. Over those 18 games someone could have developed some decent chemistry and perhaps we wouldn’t be sitting second from the basement. That’s the asinine part.

65. JimmyV1965 says:

TheVengeFulOne: Only works if you are freeing up another skilled player. In that example it is Kessel. Last year for us, it would have been playing slepy or caggiula with connor to free up Drai and Ebs. Please tell me who we are freeing up. Zack Kassian?

That would free up Drai.

66. GMB3 says:

… how does Eberle being here or not mean anything?

67. PunjabiOil says:

Give them a break, things are going to turn around

How much of that season was 97?

Value wise, Chiarelli turned Hall, Eberle, Barzal/Erikkson-Ek,#33 OV and turned that into Larsson, Strome, and Reinhart.

He’s hampered all flexibility in the Russell and Lucic signings.

He bought out a useful player in Poulioit when it wasn’t necessary.

He didn’t use leverage on the Draisaitl signing. He paid FMV for Russell. Has he signed a contract that one can argue was a steal or underpaid?

He left a mess in Boston for the next GM to clean up, and it appears this is the trend in Edmonton.

All GMs make bad moves. You can make bad moves, with the right process and thought behind the move. I don’t see it in Chiarelli – I see a reactionary GM that has a history of panicking, selling low, and buying high.

It’s not a long-term winning strategy. And IMO, it’s best to move on before he does even more damage to this organization.

68. OriginalPouzar says:

I never understood the vitrol that was sent Benoit’s way.

The fan base, the management team, the coaching stats, etc really could use a big. Productive game by Strome leading them to a W.

69. OriginalPouzar says:

Game Day!

4 straight wins for the Oil coming up – starts tonight at home against the Devils.

Go Oilers Go!

70. GCW_69 says:

hags9k:
    PunjabiOil,

You are a good poster but I think you are going way overboard here.103 pts and game 7 second round in Chia’s 2nd season.Do we forget that quickly what the decade prior looked like?

Give them a break, things are going to turn around.

Counter arguments:
    1) The team has unsustainable good health last year. Regression should have been expected (and was obvious due to Sekera injury) and therefore depth should have been improved mitigate the risk. It was not.
    2) Trading Eberle for Strome weakened the teams scoring while removing a shooter and adding yet another playmaker to a roster full of them. This could have been addressed by spending the cap savings on a shooter, but it wasn’t. Cap space sits unused and cap space can’t score.
    3) Chiarelli’s July 1 was a disaster. No way he should have locked up that many contract spots on tweeners.
    4) As a GM, his job was to consider the possibility the team outperformed its talent last year. He clearly did not.
    5) This was a go for it year, and adding Jokinen, Strome, and Auvitu shows no sense of urgency and limited creativity

I have said this before, but I think its worth repeating. In sports the bar should always be excellence. Nothing less should be acceptable. I don’t know how anyone can look at Chiarelli’s last five months and think that represents anything close to excellence. And if he isn’t both striving for and showing evidence of excellence then he should be fired.

71. russ99 says:

You guys should check out Dellow’s article on the Athletic yesterday about Julius Honka.

Should temper some of that “puck mover/zone exit Corsi über alles” going around the Oilers fanbase like a wildfire.

Almost as good as the Hall dump article.

72. OriginalPouzar says:

Wheels Up!

Enjoy the morning blog all – acceptable topics of conversation:

– Chiarelli turning the future from consistent contendership to constant mediocrity

– Hall vs. Larsson

– Eberle vs. Strome

– regression to the mean

– its early vs. 8 points out in November

– spending cap space on Russell contract

– banning the Bear

73. russ99 says:

GCW_69,

Fair points.

But the last one is a bit off base. The whole point of signing McDavid and Leon to 8 year contracts was to shoot for sustained success. There isn’t one move that Chiarelli made in his run as Oilers President of Hockey Ops that this season was a “go for it” year, and he mentioned this in his preseason comments.

Many fans may want it so, but it’s not a prudent course of action. A sustained run like the Hawks and Pens is much more reasoned and preferred course of action than win it once and flame out like the Ducks or Hurricanes.

Only then will the 10 years of losing be worth it, one Cup or just missing it this year, then break up the team due to the cap just isn’t enough.

74. OriginalPouzar says:

I do not agree that this year is a “must go for it year” because it’s the last year of McDavid’s ELC or our window closes when his new contract kicks in next year. In fact, as the cap increases over time, presumably, his percentage decreases and there is more cap to spend on support players.

75. frjohnk says:

Jonathan Willis‏Verified account @JonathanWillis
    Stealing from @FriedgeHNIC (tho if math is wrong that’s me): since 05-06, 46 of 52 teams 4+ pts out of playoffs on Nov. 1 went on to miss.

Lets hope we are the 7th team

76. Jaxon says:

PunjabiOil: Aside from Maroon and Talbot deals, just how much positive has he done to the organization in 2.5 years? What’s his value added to the organization?

And I have a feeling the Talbot deal had more to do with a favour from Sather (with one foot out the door and maybe his connection with MacTavish) than Chiarelli.