AHL Game 10: Moose at Condors

The offense has arrived for the Bakersfield Condors (5-4-0) and they’ll need it against the 5-4-1 Manitoba Moose. Bakersfield is averaging 2.67 goals per game, while the Moose are at 3.27 per game. Bakersfield’s recent games (a pair of 5-2 wins over Manitoba and Texas) represents 42 percent of the team’s goals in 22 percent of their games. Perhaps the trend continues.

CONDORS ROSTER

• The Condors are getting offense from some unusual places this season, including Braden Christoffer. This is the final year of his entry-level deal, so far Christoffer is showing far more than others (Kyle Platzer, Greg Chase) in his position. One difference? Christoffer was procured by Peter Chiarelli.
  • Ty Rattie is on fire and may be putting himself into the recall conversation.
  • Brad Malone and Jesse Puljujarvi are likely in the window for recall, depending on need for the big club.
  • Nick Ellis continues to build a strong resume.
  • Joe Gambardella is starting to roll.

• Ethan Bear remains on the sidelines.
  • Ryan Mantha has been making noise of late.
  • I think tonight’s third line might be the first line.

Updates throughout the evening, along with college and CHL scoring from Oilers prospects.

45 Responses to "AHL Game 10: Moose at Condors"

1. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Thanks for the continual coverage of the farm team LT.

At this point in time, how would you describe Betker’s chance at getting another contract? Haven’t seen much about him highlight wise, but he is playing and there’s no negative verbal so that all suggests modest up arrows, no?

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Thanks for the continual coverage of the farm team LT.

At this point in time, how would you describe Betker’s chance at getting another contract?Haven’t seen much about him highlight wise, but he is playing and there’s no negative verbal so that all suggests modest up arrows, no?

3. hunter1909 says:

I really need Puljujarvi to get promoted. I’m already starting to forget how to spell his name.

Caggiula(sp lol) is another one of these odd names I can’t get my head around. He’s turning out to be a decent player. I like him. Letestu as well.

4. Professor Q says:

Is the Orange and White marker for Gust’s name to highlight rookie status or something?

5. Woodguy v2.0 says:

hunter1909:

Say it in your head like this:

Pull – Jew – Jarvi = Puljujarvi

Cagg-I-You-la = Caggiula

Worked for me and my phone.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

Won’t be able to box-score watch this one tonight I don’t think – doesn’t start until 10:30 eastern and the wife and I need to be up around 3:30 for this damn marathon.

Hoping for another nice offensive performance for the team.

Will be interesting to see if Rattie can keep producing – after his slow start he’s been on fire – 4 points in the 3rd period last game (was quiet in the game’s first two periods).

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Safin with a goal and an assist in a 3-2 OTL earlier today.

8. Todd Macallan says:

Loved Safin when he was picked but so far he is exceeding my wildest expectations

9. Westchester Oil says:

OriginalPouzar,

Original Pouzar,

Are you running, watching or volunteering for the NY Marathon?

Do you live in the NY area?

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Westchester Oil:
    OriginalPouzar,

Original Pouzar,

Are you running, watching or volunteering for the NY Marathon?

Do you live in the NY area?

The wife is running it – I’m just spectating it, well, after the gym, of course.

We live in Calgary – almost did move to NYC back in 2007 when I was being headhunted by some Wall Street firms. Thankfully I didn’t go through with that as the financial crisis hit and i would have been out of the new job a few months after it started.

11. Evilas says:

Good luck to your wife in her race!

Enjoy your brief time in NYC; hopefully the weather is much nicer than the weather here in YYC.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

Oh, ya, its been MUCH nicer. We left on Friday so got the full blast of winter when it came on Thursday.

Its been high teens but overcast.

Supposed to be a bit cooler and wetter then next couple of days but stil nicer.

We will be at the Oilers game in Brooklyn on Tuesday as they make it 3 in a row.

Aapeli Rasanen with two assists early for Boston College, he’s coming on.

Kirill Maksimov has scored for Niagara, now 14gp, 8-7-15.

15. Westchester Oil says:

OriginalPouzar,

Cool. Enjoy NYC – it’s a better place to visit than to live in, IMO.

16. TheVengeFulOne says:

Would it make sense to bring rattie up, and keep kailer around until we know one ofrattie or puljujarvi can play. At the same time, don’t think we can afford any more experiments

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Maksimov with a goal and 4 shots on net with under 10 left in the third.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

TheVengeFulOne:

With that said, no matter if JP or Rattie can help the NHL team, we know that Kailer can’t this year and he needs to play games with Spokane.

Aidan Muir with an assist.

Tyler Benson picks up an assist, now 4gp, 1-1-2.

21. jfry says:

if we’re hoping that we got steals in safin and maksimov, what do they need to put up points wise this year to be considered legit prospects? is 1.25 ppg in draft +1 enough?

22. flyfish1168 says:

Rattie give Bakersfield lead

Rattie from Downing and Jones, 1-0 Condors.

24. Bling says:

OriginalPouzar: Rattie may be the guy that gets the call (although I’m still leaning towards Puljijarvi to get him some offensive players to play with).

Rattie would be my pick.

The lighter schedule in the AHL and the abundance of weekend games would allow Puljujarvi the chance to add strength and work on his skills, moreso than the grind of an NHL season.

Keeping JP down also gives us time to see Caggs and Slepy in feature roles, and see whether or not they are worth counting on next season (both are RFAs).

25. Glass says:

jfry,

I would be happy with Ostap Safin maintaining a 1.00 ppg rate in the QJMHL, given that it is his first season on North American ice. I would agree that 1.25 ppg is a good bar to set for Maksimov, but I’d also be happy with something a little over 1.00 ppg from him.

Draft +2 season they’ve got to blow the doors off, which I’m confident at least one of them will.

Tyler Benson picks up an assist, now 4gp, 1-1-2.

Benson now 1-1-2 tonight, and 4gp, 2-1-3 for the season.

27. OmJo says:

Lowetide: My guess is he’s on the bubble. Imo he would be ahead of guys like Platzer and Chase in the drive for a second contract, but Edmonton has so many LHD it may be difficult. If I had to guess today, I’d say he’ll get another deal.

28. OmJo says:

The thing about Rattie is he’s generally produced quite well at the AHL level. Not PPG level good, but…

13/14 48pts in 72gp
    14/15 42pts in 59gp
    15/16 46pts in 62gp
    16/17 5pts in 22gp* (I’ll consider this an outlier)

But he hasn’t been given a decent shot in the NHL by the Blues. I think it’s fair to say we don’t know what he have in this player. Two years ago he put up 6pts in 13gp I’m guessing not on a feature line on the Blues.

Definitely worth a call-up so we can get idea of what we have.

OmJo: Would it be worth the investment to then some of those LHD players into a potential C for JP to play with in the AHL this season?

Absolutely.

Benson now 1-2-3 on the night and 4gp, 2-2-4 on the season.

31. OmJo says:

Benson now 1-2-3 on the night and 4gp, 2-2-4 on the season.

Good signs!

32. Pescador says:

Yak now 4G 3A 7P in 13G, scored tonight.
    Go Nail!

The Matheson contract in Florida is for over $5 million per season.

If Nurse plays well, he may be offersheeted at $5 million something. The OIlers are vulnerable to the double offer sheet with Nurse and Benning (Mainly because of the ridiculous duration and NMC given to Russell.)

It is nuts to consider trading Klefbom. Klefbom developed as a defensive defensemen and is learning/pushing to be an offensive defensemen in the NHL. Brodin was the offensive guy of the Brodin/Klefbom pairing. Klefbom was the defensive guy. When he is playing with Larsson he tries to do too much, especially with Sekera hurt. Klefbom will play better when he is the defensive conscience of a pairing.

Klefbom Larsson is okay if Sekera is around….but Nurse Larsson is a superior pairing.

Benning is the best option for Klefbom on the OIlers.

Russell surrenders the blue line too easily to be a good partner for Klefbom. Only Sekera has the skill set to be able to play with Russell and have the pairing be 2nd pairing level.

When Sekera comes back, one can just run

Nurse, Larsson
    Klefbom, Benning
    Sekera Russell

And the minutes can probably be shared fairly evenly once Sekera gets up to speed.

34. oilinthepeg says:

Wow. West keeps winning against east. and west teams keep tying west teams! Tonight’s points distributed is terrible for the Oilers. Also: it sucks to be worried about these things this early in the season. Haha. Would be better to just, you know, NOT be in the position we’re in. Lots of hockey left, of course, but… man. The slow start hurts pretty bad…

35. deardylan says:

Yeah when Oilers lose badly, I often feel bad. And I feel even worse if I haven’t worked on my own game, my own mind, and especially my own body!

That is not the right time for me to write on Lowetide, to post or respond to others.

I am not sure if you saw the UFC fight today that Georges St-Pierre won. His quote reminds me how to keep my posts kind, good and still add value to the discussion.

If you look good, you feel good, and if you feel good, you do good.
    — Georges St-Pierre

It starts with my own exercise, my own training and my own inner game. When I look good in the mirror, in my own skin…even Oilers losing can’t phase me and I can write posts with kindness and goodness!

Change my physiology-> changes my psychology-> changes my postology!

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson now 1-2-3 on the night and 4gp, 2-2-4 on the season.

As expected – high ceiling prospect when he’s playing.

Looks like he wants to reestablish himself as a legit top 6 prospect and this is huge for our organization.

With lost development time, I suspect he’all need next year in the AHL but we’ll see next September.

37. Bling says:

godot10:
    The Matheson contract in Florida is for over $5 million per season.

If Nurse plays well, he may be offersheeted at $5 million something.The OIlers are vulnerable to the double offer sheet with Nurse and Benning (Mainly because of the ridiculous duration and NMC given to Russell.)

It is nuts to consider trading Klefbom. Klefbom developed as a defensive defensemen and is learning/pushing to be an offensive defensemen in the NHL.Brodin was the offensive guy of the Brodin/Klefbom pairing.Klefbom was the defensive guy.When he is playing with Larsson he tries to do too much, especially with Sekera hurt. Klefbom will play better when he is the defensive conscience of a pairing.

Benning is the best option for Klefbom on the OIlers.

Russell surrenders the blue line too easily to be a good partner for Klefbom.Only Sekera has the skill set to be able to play with Russell and have the pairing be 2nd pairing level.

When Sekera comes back, one can just run

Nurse, Larsson
    Klefbom, Benning
    Sekera Russell

How are the Oilers any more vulnerable to double offer sheets with 14 million in cap space versus 18 million in cap space next season?

If someone wants Nurse or Benning badly enough, they could always overpay on an offer sheet. History isn’t exactly replete of teams starting RFA wars that way, though, and I’m not sure why Benning/Nurse would be the players that would inspire a team to start.

38. Bling says:

I think some are being a bit premature with talk of the “emergence” of Darnell Nurse.

He has played two games on the top pairing against one elite squad and one middling to poor squad. Against the good team, he got burned on a pinch in the second and left Larsson to fend for himself on a 2 on 1.

He will also need to cut down on the stick infractions. He may get away with that playing the dregs, but no way does he get away with it against elite opposition. There is a real advantage in having a guy like Klef who showed that he could play top opposition effectively last season without taking minors.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

That Mattheson contract is going to be a bitch in the Nurse negotiations – I knew it as soon as he signed it and, so far, it looks like it will come to fruition.

Thankfully, even with Nurse taking a couple large steps forward in his overall game, he won’t be a material point producer this year (I don’t think) which could help to keep his contract in the realm of reasonableness.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

oilinthepeg:

Those are definitely disappointing things to see on the out of town scoreboard, however, at this point, I’m not really overly-concerned with the out of town scoreboard and am just focusing on the Oilers and the Oilers winning hockey games and accumulating points in the standings.

I’m confident that a run of 8 wins in 10 games (or so) will put us right back in the picture, in color.

41. OriginalPouzar says:

I wonder what coach will do in Slepy’s absence tonight (if he indeed is out)?

I don’t see coach splitting up McDavid and Drai after last game so I hope he plugs one of the scratches in to his place so as to not disrupt the other three lines that all played well – options are Kharia and Yamamoto (his last “free” game).

42. Yeti says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I wonder what coach will do in Slepy’s absence tonight (if he indeed is out)?

Probably Yamamoto into Slepy’s spot.

You don’t have to answer this, but how much sleep do you run off, OP? It seems no matter the time of day or night, you are awake and active!

43. OriginalPouzar says:

Yeti: Probably Yamamoto into Slepy’s spot.

I think you are probably right, Yamamoto in Slepy’s spot – likely his lat game – hopefully at least.

As far as sleep – I usually run on around 5.5 hours a night. I wake up at 3:30 am for the gym and like to be up in bed by 930 and asleep by 10 Of course, Oilers games usually make this a little later and, when they are on the West coast, its perverse.

Same schedule on weekends except I will often come back to bad after the gym for an hour or two as the wife will still be in it.

My schedule is a bit off right now as we left for NYC on Friday morning as the wife is about to start the NYC marathon in about 11 minutes.

I was up at 2:30 on Friday morning to get the full workout in before an 89am flight.

Was able to sleep in a bit this morning as the gym I drop in at in NYC isn’t open until 8am on weekends but I was up at 4am (2am mountain) as the wife had to be up super early to get ready for the marathon.

Tomorrow through Monday I will be able to sleep in until around 4:15am as the gym isn’t open until 5am. Yes, I will still go first thing even on a “vacation” as I love to get the gym done first thing in the morning. Its a great start to the day.

Its just my routine and I love it.

44. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: I do need to get more sleep generally as rest is important but = do seem to be function just fine even with 4-5 hours a night.

Not healthy bud.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

You may be right Pouz but not necessarily – what is needed for one body is not necessarily what is needed for another.

I seem to function great on the sleep I’ve been getting – start and finish all workouts strong. Performing at a high level at the office. Ya, I get tired in the late afternoons and early evenings but I work through that and keep on trucking. I don’t have any caffeine after 4am usually (take caffeine in a pre-workout and don’t drink coffee the rest of the day to keep tolerance down so it has a greater effect pre-workout

My only concern is that I need more rest for my fitness goals – rest for the muscles to build property – I’m not concerned at this point about lack of sleep/rest for “living life” as I seem to be just fine at least so far.