Breaking News!

This 14-year project hatched in my brain seconds after my daughter came downstairs and asked “Dad, can I start a blog?” and I answered no. I didn’t know what a blog was, but was pretty sure it cost too much. That was 2004, and I’ve been writing pretty much every day since. I am blessed to have you read these words and to have met you in these years.

I have accepted an offer from The Athletic. It is a lucrative deal, far more than I deserve and extremely generous. I am beyond thrilled to be joining such an incredible group. My pieces at The Athletic are more thorough and drill deeper than what you see on this blog. My first effort under the new arrangement appeared minutes ago and is here. If you want to read it, and the other stories I and other great writers will provide, it is about $4 a month if you take advantage of an introductory offer which is here.

Many of you reached out to me when I started the Sunday column at The Athletic to say you’ve already subscribed and I thank you. For those who haven’t joined, I hope you consider it and take advantage of the offer. I will have a post each morning here at Lowetide (as always) as we begin our day and tell you what’s coming up on the Lowdown, et cetera. Some of the feature items are heading to The Athletic, although I’ll update the feel of each series.

I know you’ll want to express yourself in the comments section and you can reach out and email me directly (just hit “contact” above). All comments and concerns welcome.

I have made the right decision for my family, sincerely hope you understand. I want to thank each and every one of you for participating over the years. I hope you stay with me here and join me at The Athletic. It is extremely important for me to maintain this spot on the Al Gore, that’s something we own together.

Offer is here! (Click)

PIKES PEAK, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in November 2015: 2-2-0, goal differential 0
  • Oilers in November 2016: 2-1-1, goal differential -2
  • Oilers in November 2017: 2-2-0, goal differential -1

November a year ago went south from here in a hurry, important for this year’s model to break on through to the other side. As bad as this season’s start has been, if the Oilers can have a strong road trip and win against Vegas upon return, we may have a story to tell a week from now.

AFTER 14, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 5-9-0, goal differential -6
  • Oilers 16-17: 9-4-1, goal differential +7
  • Oilers 17-18: 5-8-1, goal differential -12

A massive win, setting up a hopeful road trip and dreams of returning level for the season or close enough for jazz. However, as the young captain said last night, they started strong with a win in Chicago on the last trip, and things ended poorly. This fall has a ‘just out of reach of my two empty arms’ sadness to it, not sure it gets turned around.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM NOVEMBER

• At home to: Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Detroit (Expected: 2-1-0) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • On the road to: NYI, New Jersey, NYR, Washington (Expected: 1-2-1) (Actual: 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Vegas, St. Louis (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual: 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Arizona, Toronto (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-7-2, 16 points in 16 games
  • Current results: 2-2-0, four points in four games

Important victory and signs of hope and perhaps this edition of the Edmonton Oilers can win two games in a row. That will be the test for tomorrow night in NJ. The Rangers appear to have righted the ship, because of  course they have.

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Nurse-Larsson were 10-9 together, including 7-3 with McDavid. This pairing had 11 defensive zone starts, four neutral and five offensive zone starts. Were 4-8 against Lee-Tavares-Bailey, lordy that’s a line.
  • Klefbom-Benning were 10-17 together, disappointing night for the pairing to my eye. Oscar made a poor decision on the GA, trying to thread the needle to Nuge (who had no play even if he’d grabbed the puck) instead of the rocking chair pass to his partner. Went 5-12 with the Strome line, 7-11 against Ladd-Barzal-Eberle and that’s another strong line.
  • Russell-Gryba went 4-14, including 2-12 with the Nuge line and 2-8 against the Barzal line. Gryba got passed a lot (wasn’t the only one) on a night when the speedway was well lit and every Islander had a full tank of gas.
  • Cam Talbot stole the game. Stopped 36 of 37, .973.
  • Natural Stat Trick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS

• Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl went 10-12 and scored both goals. Had five DZ starts and 2 OZ starts on the night. Went 4-8 against the Tavares line, 10-9 against Leddy-Boychuk. Interesting matchup.
  • Lucic-Nuge went 10-19 with Caggiula (5-7) and Kassian (3-7). I liked the line, only issue was the grenade Klefbom sent to Nuge. Kassian had a great chance to score but assaulted a wall instead. Lucic made a real nice play on the first goal, credit where due. Caggiula got hurt, didn’t return, we could see a recall today. JP?
  • Jokinen-Strome-Pakarinen went 6-13, really liked Jokinen’s cerebral style. Strome was not effective against Tavares and I’m surprised coach Weight didn’t pursue that matchup more often.
  • Malone-Letestu-Kassian went 3-3 together and they didn’t play much at all. Letestu’s 5:40 5×5 minutes are a genuine curio, while Malone was effective on the PK and hit a post.

ROSTER STUFF

• Elliotte Friedman: I still think Edmonton may be the next team to try something, but not as earth shattering as we just saw. Source

I think we might see something while the team is out east, lots of history to support roster tweaks miles from the madding crowd. Drake Caggiula got hurt last night, he might be replaced by Anton Slepyshev or perhaps we see Jesse Puljujarvi recalled. I could see a trade too, a smaller deal for a fleet scoring winger. I mentioned Michael Grabner a little while ago, he’s now filling the net so maybe not. Frank Seravalli has his latest Trade List here.

THE ATHLETIC

I plan on providing links each morning to things I believe you may have interest in. I will tell you the range and quality on the site is insane, for me there isn’t enough time in the day to read it all. So, consider this a sample of what you’ll find:

• Lowetide: Oilers No. 1 Prospect Kailer Yamamoto. (Link)
  • Craig Custance: The life philosophy of Clare Drake (Link)
  • Jonathan Willis: It’s time for Todd McLellan to adjust (Link)
  • Black Dog Pat: Remembering the Good, dealing with the Bad (Link)
  • Tyler Dellow: NHL Power Plays one month in (Link)

That’s all on the front page of The Athletic-Edmonton, read mine first you bastards. 🙂 If you’re going to subscribe, please take advantage of the Lowetide intro offer it’ll save you some coin.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning on the show, a little bit fluid so stay tuned during the show. At 10 this morning, TSN1260, scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. If the McDavid/Talbot template is back, is there enough time to climb back into the playoff hunt?
  • Keegan Matheson,  Blue Jays Reporter.  Devastating news about Roy Halladay, I don’t know what to say. Keegan will.
  • Derek Taylor, TSN. It’s been a mad, mad CFL season and the playoffs are probably going to be just as crazy.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

201 Responses to "Breaking News!"

Newer Comments »
  1. OriginalPouzar says:

Congrats Lowetide!

I already have a subscription to the Athletic and look forward to continued content.

With that said, this blog is my go to and may I ask what does this new deal mean for this blog.

Is it just down to the morning post and nothing else changes?

I will be very sad if we lose the comments community.

The Athletic is great but the comments section is not set up for conversation.

OriginalPouzar:
    Congrats Lowetide!

Is it just down to the morning post and nothing else changes?

I will be very sad if we lose the comments community.

The Athletic is great but the comments section is not set up for conversation.

OP: I don’t feel it is my place to close down the comments section here at Lowetide, that’s not my place. This is a community, I will provide the format here for as long as everyone wants to stay. My hope is we can interact here and at The Athletic, their format is very user friendly.

I also want to keep this place going for archive purposes, posts and comments. There are grand tales told, hopefully many more to come.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Huge win last night. Don’t care they got outplayed in the third.

That Russell/Gryba pairing is awful. I can’t wait for it to be Sekera/Russell on that :Rd pair.

That goodness for Darnell Nurse.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: OP: I don’t feel it is my place to close down the comments section here at Lowetide, that’s not my place. This is a community, I will provide the format here for as long as everyone wants to stay. My hope is we can interact here and at The Athletic, their format is very userfriendly.

Ok, great – as long as we don’t lose this community – it’s invaluable.

5. Surly says:

Congratulations Lowetide. You deserve the successes and rewards your writing and commitment have created for you.

6. Pouzar says:

Thrilled for you LT!
    and
    I just signed up.

7. smellyglove says:

Bittersweet! I’m an infrequent poster, but have been around these parts for years. Maybe 5-7?

I’m the guy who chased DSF away. No regrets.

I’m happy for your success Lowetide. This work is a labour of love and you deserve to be able to support your family after so many thousands of hours of investment on your part.

Things are going to change, I know they will. Folks will be clustering at The Athletic, in addition to here. It’s going to become quieter here perhaps. The hardcores might migrate to The Athletic. We’ll see, I’ll be here. Thanks for everything LT.

8. frjohnk says:

“I have accepted an offer from The Athletic. It is a lucrative deal, far more than I deserve and extremely generous. ”

far more than you deserve?

did you get a NMC? 🙂

Ive been a subscriber to the Athletic for some time. Love that you will be writing there more.

Signed up when there was no discount though. Very UnUkrainian of me 🙂

9. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Good for you Al!!

Pretty damn happy for you.

Pretty damn happy that this blog will continue to exist too.

Well done sir.

10. Justenvogt says:

Congrats Allan, you deserve it. Looking forward to reading your stuff on The Athletic.

11. Réal Goudenyéu says:

If tal-bot gives them last night’s performance for the rest of the trip they’ve got a chance to win all 4.

12. Clay says:

Congrats, LT. I’ve been here since the Pronger acquisition, and you’re still my first stop on the interwebs each morning. I’ve never paid to read anything on the internet ever, but may have to start…

Please tell me your The Athletic work will include analogies to old-timey baseball. Storytelling LT is best LT.

PS – if ever there was a blogger that deserved to be paid, it is you. Hardest working man in Lowebusiness.

13. Pouzar says:

I sure hope this lack of speed thing doesn’t paly up as much against the West b/c I don’t see Chia making any moves to make this team quicker. My Gawd I dunno how much longer I can watch Pak/JJ/SAK in the bottom 6.

14. SHILL83 says:

19-97-29
    27-93-58
    36-18-98
    24-55-44
    26-16

25-6
    77-83
    4-81

I would like to see a JP recalled if Caggs is going to miss a couple games. Hopefully Slepy is able to get back into next game. I think now is the time to try and waive Kahira and get him playing some minutes in Bakersfield. Kid needs to play. Been sitting in the press box for some time now.
    JP on the third line could be a great spot for him to get going. Gets to play with his country man. Run them for more OZ starts than D starts and see if some offense can be created. I also would keep Malone in and take out Pak. Malone has looked good in pretty much every game his played for the Oil this year. Guy is fighting every game to show that he should stay with he big club and Id like to see more of that. Came close to scoring last night and had another strong night to my eye.
    Gryba looked very slow out there tonight and I think he needs a a sit. I don’t think a pairing of Russell and Avuitu is any better but atleast Avuitu can skate quicker. This tam could really use another RHD to either bump Benning down or bump Avutitu and Gryba out of the line up on more occasions.

15. jimmers2 says:

Congrat’ s Mr. Tide, you have earned this new gig many times over. Whatever lets you best keep your momentum is the best possible outcome. And many thanks for Lowetide.ca, for me it has been since…err.. 2005. Best rickety, comfy chair beside the garage hot stove in the internet.

16. Lloyd B. says:

Congrats LT. As great as this corner of the Ol Al Gore has been it has gently veered away from its roots.

Not necessarily a bad thing but last nights comment section really brought home just how much things have changed.

The Oilers win and for the longest time the discussion was regards a trade that happened two years ago.

I joined the Athletic a few months ago when the Edmonton tribe was introduced. Great stuff and I have no doubt your added work will be much appreciated by the masses.

Sail on Maidstone Marauder.

17. 106 and 106 says:

Too modest Mr. Lowetide, you created a world of your own. You deserve the best.

Just so I’m reading straight, one post a day from now on?

18. Profit says:

Congrats LT.

I’m already a member of The Athletic. Joined up as soon as they announced Edmonton/Calgary and the participation of Kent Wilson who I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know a bit.

I enjoy the comment section here as much as the next person, but things change.

Glad you got a bit of a payday!

19. FrankenOil says:

LT,

What does this mean for your writing over at ON? The Weekend Update is a weekend must-read for me (as well as all your other articles across the blog and sites 🙂 ). Have been a subscriber to the Athletic pretty much since I first heard you were going to write a weekly article. Congrats LT!

20. Brantford Boy says:

Congrats LT… thoroughly enjoy reading this blog/comments every single day…. not sure exactly what this means for the content of this site (even after reading your explanations) but I will be here tonight and tomorrow to find out like everyday… if there’s to be no content here anymore I wish you the best at The Athletic… Cheers Al!

21. Pouzar says:

I think the young Willis article is the most important link above.
    Get on it TMc.

22. Rube Foster says:

Chuck Lefley, Chuck Lefley where art though Chuck Lefley?

Hooray!! One for the good guys!

It’s always wonderful when great things happen for good people. Congrats LT!

You’ve earned this LT and I look forward to your work with the The Athletic.

23. Professor Q says:

Other than that, it’s great, and I look forward to more content.

24. barry.moore23 says:

LT, Congrats. I just subscribed. Edmonton for me and Philadelphia for my wife’s Flyers. And we live in Illinois !!

I am so so glad for you and proud to be a member of your circle.

Barry

25. supernova says:

Congrats LT,

You deserve more than they are paying not a single cent less.

I am very happy for you and wish you immense success.

26. digger50 says:

That third line looks aweful.

We have enough now for line 1 and 2. Though Sleppy and Drake our hurts, both were coming along. Fourth line we can also be competitive.

Third line needs so much help.

27. papa96 says:

LT, congratulations on The Athletic. I have subscribed. Looks great! I’ll just mention that when 97 let go that shot in OT last night, I said “damn”. I thought he had shot it over the net. Did a double take when I saw the ref pointing.

28. who says:

Pouzar:

Who the hell is SAK

29. JimmyV1965 says:

Just a question LT. Are you going to moderate the comments section? It could get pretty ugly otherwise.

30. Todd Macallan says:

Congrats once again LT!

I subscribed a couple months back with your first mention of being a contributor, and I can tell all who are curious that it is well worth it.

Happy to hear this place will continue to be my lunchtime escape (noon NL time for the “morning” post), would not leave here for all of King Midas’ silver.

31. BONE207 says:

Congratulations LT…may they one day call it the old Al Mitchell. I’ve been here since April 18, 2015. I hardly miss an article and I plan to read more of your musings. Never a bad time doing that except for the abuse I get from my date as she fails to understand the time I spend here. I trust the many interesting posters/commenters stay around to spice up the reading. You guys can’t make this place dull…ever!!!

32. Pouzar says:

digger50:
    That third line looks aweful.

Third line needs so much help.

Connor
    Drai
    Nuge

get er done!

33. Woodguy v2.0 says:

who: Who the hell is SAK

Sacagawea?

34. JimmyV1965 says:

Congrats LT. You are a very gifted writer.

35. PunjabiOil says:

Congrats on the new role Lowetide. Well deserved.

Also glad you’re keeping the comments section here.

Best of luck.

36. dustrock says:

Congratulations, that’s excellent news. In my opinion, you should be getting national attention, so hopefully this helps. 🙂

Love the content on The Athletic, can’t stand the app, don’t find the comments section set up for discussion at all.

This will continue to be the place for me to discuss hockey, can’t see that changing.

37. BONE207 says:

who: Who the hell is SAK

Shitty Ass Kids

Old Oilers strategy of making the team better.

38. linkfromhyrule says:

Professor Q: The only thing about The Athletic is you need two logins to use the comments section, with a different one from the subscription login, which is frustrating as well as the reason that I don’t comment.

39. frjohnk says:

who: Who the hell is SAK

Pouzar wrote Sleppy’s name wrong again.

40. Eastern Oil says:

LT, I think you will find a lot of the members of your Lowetide community are members of Athletic already due to the fact that you are a contributor. It’s a special bonus with other great writers like Young Willis and BlackDogPat (and many more). You have created a special space here, and I thank you.

I will continue to enjoy your writing in all realms available.

41. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! Makes me sad that I won’t be posting Great post LT! daily.

– I sent you a personal note, and will of course support you on the Athletic. In terms of format, my impression of the Athletic is that its more sporty and factual than this

– Are you going to tell stories about your Dad lighting a fire under the car to warm up the oil and all the other great stories you have shared. Or is it a more sports-only focused tone?

– I loved that car story

42. daryl says:

I’ve got a subscription to the Athletic already, but I really prefer the RSS feed approach to getting notified of articles. So far, I haven’t read much on The Athletic, despite the subscription, because I have to remember to go there and check it. Notifications on the phone app also don’t appear to be triggering for new content. Hopefully this blog (and its RSS feed) will remain and will be the trigger to go read an article at the Athletic. If you have the ear of anyone over there, perhaps you could enquire and suggest some ideas for us to use to get more real time, RSS-type updates.

43. Chachi says:

Congratulations LT. You are the only writer in the oilogosphere that would actually make me consider subscribing to the Athletic. I hope it is a very successful venture for you and your family.

44. who says:

BONE207: Shitty Ass Kids

Old Oilers strategy of making the team better.

45. VOR says:

LT, God man, you have earned all your success. Your output is stupendous and the quality of your writing consistently high and frequently brilliant. So congratulations on a well deserved win.

That said maybe it is time for you to start thinking of yourself like Michaelangelo. Yeah the guy that painted the Cistine Chapel. He had at least 21 other artisans and artists working with him. As the project went on and on he gave them more and more of the work. In the end he was working on the center of the ceiling, the hand of God, if you like.

Why not let veteran members of this community do evening posts as guests and a few trusted associates serve as moderators. This would let you focus on the center of the ceiling, your writing. It would also give a new generation of writers a chance to find an audience and a voice.

46. Todd Macallan says:

VOR,

Though it quite literally means nothing, I wholeheartedly approve of this idea.

47. zatch says:

With yourself, Willis, and Black Dog Pat alone, the Oilers crew at the Ath is an embarrassment of riches, and I mean that. Congratulations LT! We’ll see you over there!

48. Pouzar says:

who: Thank you

Swiss Army Knife

49. geowal says:

Congrats on the ever expanding blogging empire LT!

50. neojanus says:

I’ll just say what everyone else is afraid to say: You’re a deviant traitor, Lowetide and may your furnace break down Christmas Day and spoil a turkey dinner for you and all your kin.

Seriously though, I have l pretty much lurked here since the beginning and what I admire most is your positivity all through the dark times and the good. You bring integrity to the blogging world, maintain fairness in your moderation, and generally just make my daily morning reads that much richer.

I wish you all the best and raise a Guinness (a little later) to your new venture.

Cheers,
    David G

PS: Being stuck in Vancouver for most of the last thirteen years has proven character testing to say the least in terms of hockey enjoyment. What I have learned is to hate the Canucks even more and keep my Oilers friends as close as possible. Thank you, Oilers Faithful.

51. McSorley33 says:

Congratulations Sir!

I am now going to be forced to join the Athletic!

52. Shane says:

VOR:

Great idea!

Congrats LT

53. anjinsan says:

Far more than you deserve?
    1) Were you negotiating with someone named Chiarelli? Did you get term and a no-trade clause?
    2) The hockey microcosm from minor mites through juniors to the big leagues is the greatest, period. It’s built of people who LOVE ice hockey. You’re endlessly part of it with integrity and thoroughness and community building. Congrats. If you have done all this on your own, think what you can do with an organization and financing…it’s a multiiplier. Like a good player, you’ll make others around you better. Allez, LT!

54. McSorley33 says:

Pouzar,

***************************************************************************************************
    Same.

In particular, watching Jokinen trying to labour around the ice is crazy.

55. Scungilli Slushy says:

Congratulations AM . I have always admired your ability to sense the landscape and willingness to make a move. I hope it brings you more than you imagine and great pleasure.

56. D says:

Congrats LT! You deserve this and I am happy to see you reap the rewards of all your years of work!

57. Nuclear leak says:

So one post a day that’s been toned down is the new norm here? Congrats on the athletic, sad to see the eventually that’s all folks! for here. The athletic needs to offer far more then what they do to justify a subscription, pretty much a site for tier 1 fans.There’s much content out there that is great that doesn’t involve digging into the pockets to enjoy it. This blog has been great, all good things come to an end, time to find a new game day blog and new or old bloggers that aren’t getting the limelight!

58. Bag of Pucks says:

Congratulations LT. Original sports writing is a true rarity and true originals deserve to get paid! Well done.

Don’t forgot the little people once the onslaught of strippers and coke commences.

59. digger50 says:

VOR:

Great idea. This could have many benefits.

60. frjohnk says:

VOR:

I second this.

Id nominate Vermite to do the first guest post.

But then again, I like kitchen fires.

61. dustrock says:

VOR:

Not a bad idea, although god knows we don’t want to turn into another HFB.

Can’t decide whether this would alleviate stress or increase it for LT.

62. Bag of Pucks says:

VOR:

Great idea. I’ve been percolating an idea for a 16 part series on the Reinhart trade titled ‘Postmortem of an Autopsy.” Still hashing out the details of the follow-up 25 part series on the Hall trade entitled “The Definitive Guide to Equine Assault.”

63. sliderule says:

Congratulation LT

You are the best and most interesting writer in the oilers universe.

Hope you still have time for this blog.

On the game ,Barzal made the oiler scouts and management look real bad .

I defended the trade at first but now that Reinhart has continued to go backwards and players like Barzal flourish WTF were they thinking.

64. OmJo says:

Congratulations, LT!

“I am blessed to have you read these words and to have met you in these years.”

I’m sure I can speak for everybody here in saying the feeling is mutual.

I’ve only been reading here since the middle of the 15-16 season, started getting more involved in discussions in then16-17 season, so not as veteran as a lot of the others here, still a newbie. But you’ve all created a great community here, glad it won’t be going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

This blog has become my morning newspaper, and I’ve never been a newspaper kind of guy. As somebody who can’t watch every game, it’s been a blessing in helping me follow this team and I’ve learned so much in the almost two years I’ve been here.

Thanks for all that you do here!

And best of luck with the Athletic. I think I might have to subscribe now.

65. linkfromhyrule says:

Congrats LT! I’ve been signed up for the Athletic for about a month now. About the only negative thing I can say about the Athletic is that sometimes the frequency of articles is low for Edmonton content. The quality of the content when it comes is off the charts though.

More than worth the price of admission, doubly so now that LT is going to be a regular contributor. I’m more than willing to pay for quality content online, which is quite unlike most of my generation unfortunately.

I’m very happy that the blog and comments section here will continue too. The Athletic has an intelligent comment section for the most part, but I feel like it won’t ever replicate the community that is found here. It’s an institution!

66. linkfromhyrule says:

sliderule: On the game ,Barzal made the oiler scouts and management look real bad .

67. JustWatt says:

Subscribed. The least you deserve LT. I don’t know how I would ever get my Oilers jones satisfied out here in Kentucky without you.

68. jtblack says:

sliderule,

“I defended the trade at first …” Just curious why? Personally never liked it from Day 1. Gave up soooo much for a fllawed prospect. That 2015 draft was so deep. Wait 5 years and there will be any number of combinations of #16 & #33 that would have helped us. THAT TRADE COULD BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STANLEY and NO STANLEY. Serious.

LT: Good for you! Good luck at the Athletic. I will still be on here and will join the Athletic.

Cheers

Oil still have a pulse ……

69. Dee Dee says:

Congrats Lowetide!

It will be interesting to see how things turn out. The smallish paywall will change the tone of your new digs.

You were a beacon of light during some pretty dark times as an Oiler fan, the Rod Philips of bloggers.

Glad to see you are enjoying some (financial) success after all the years of hard work.

70. 106 and 106 says:

The tag for this post is “goodbye”

Gulp.

71. Dicky94 says:

McSorley33,

Agree. Time to bench JJ and Pak. I don’t understand why Khaira is not playing more. He has more skill but doesn’t seem to get much of a look. If no trade can be made then it’s time to bring up JP.

Maroon McDavid Strome
    Lucic Drai Kassian
    Cags Nuge JP
    Khaira Letestu Slepy
    Malone or Maloon as Sportsnet say.

Speed on all four lines( depending on Cags/ Slepy injuries)

72. TheVengeFulOne says:

I’m over it. Not paying for the athletic.

73. russ99 says:

Huge fan of the Athletic already, upped for the year.

I’d suggest to anyone who enjoys sports writing to at least try it out.

Been my lunchtime reading every day, since I subscribed.

I hope they can add more cities soon, since this idea deserves to be more widespread, and with the collapse of the DNA/Gothamist, it’s really important that good internet writing find a path/delivery method where advertising/distracting the user isn’t the sole source of revenue.

Back to the Oilers:

What does Ryan Strome need to do to get out of Siberia? Centering Jokinen and Pakarinen is a huge step down.

He had chemistry with RNH and the original plan was to put him with McDavid, both at wing.

Seems like this is another coaching hubris moment where they’re determined to turn him into a line-driving center that he’ll never be.

74. OriginalPouzar says:

linkfromhyrule: It was poetic that both Barzal and Eberle created the only NYI goal. Barzal in particular was flying all night.

It was highly disappointing.

75. bendelson says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Just for fun: what are some of the favourite stories that LT told here that we like?

The camping ‘box’ story is an absolute classic… still makes me chuckle to this very day.

___

Great work LT – well deserved.
    See you over at the Athletic!

76. Chachi says:

OriginalPouzar: He seemed like the best player on the ice from my seat – fast, shifty, smart, etc.

It was highly disappointing.

77. sephF says:

Congratulations. cant wait to read your stuff

78. frjohnk says:

russ99: BTW: This Dellow article about fancystat context is my favorite hockey article of the year, on any media:

On the fly shifts is seriously underrated and should be explored more.

Last year, Dellow showed that many Dmen had an inflated goal differential just because they got a plus for coming on the ice within 5 seconds of a goal.

For example, Larsson was actually 2nd in the league with a +14 goal differential with OTF shifts.

Of course it worked the other way as well. Many Dmen got dinged or not credited by exiting the ice 5 seconds before the goal.

This is one reason why I think Russells “lack of offense, as everybody gets dragged down with him” is overblown. We are still digging into the numbers.

79. Soup Fascist says:

Woodguy v2.0: Sacagawea?

Sacagawea would be a good 3rd line centre.

We could use someone who could lead two slow moving white guys struggling to find their way out of the wilderness, on both sides of the Rockies.

80. Georges says:

All the best, LT! Happy for you and your family.

Why is the post tagged goodbye?

Edit: Reread the opening. I think I get it. I’ll see what happens here tomorrow.

81. Georges says:

Chachi: Remeber that time he fanned on a point blank set up from Tavares and half assed skating back to his own end while the Oilers went the other way on a two on one and scored a desperately needed overtime winner? That is my favourite Barzal memory.

I’ve never seen Barzal play before yesterday. That kid looked phenomenal. How did he go 16th?

82. prefonmich says:

As much as I love and have enjoyed your writing here and the knowledgeable passionate banter you have fostered in this community I am glad for you. As well I am glad for others in a broader community who will now have the opportunity to read your exceptional writing and experience hockey through your lens. I will continue to enjoy both!

83. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

VOR,

– I’ve advocated for LT this approach as well: like the guest hosts on Johnny Carson…

84. N64 says:

VOR:

My understanding is that New Improved Darkness is first up and will hand off to someone else at the Rapture or when he runs out of words. Whichever comes first.

85. Chachi says:

Georges: Some posters have said the Oilers wouldn’t have picked Barzal even if we didn’t make the Reinhart trade.

He only played 44 games in his draft year and only scored 12 goals. That probably created enough doubt to have him slide as far as he did. I have talked to a few people who played against him in Junior and they have all said he was the most talented player in the WHL in his draft year and has always been near the top in talent in Western Canada for the ’97 born kids. He is probably going to have a great career. Good for him and the Islanders.

86. Melvis says:

Atta boy Allan! That’s fantastic news and a significant coup for an individual who puts in the effort day in and day out reaching for mo’ better. Congratulations!

87. Melvis says:

SAK. It used to be SK before the obesity problem.

88. MacT's Neglected Helmet says:

Congrats on the full-time Athletic gig, Lowetide!! Well deserved. If subscribers didn’t feel like they were getting their money’s worth before they certainly will now.

Sadly, I’m not boarding that train. I don’t have a subscription and don’t plan to. It’s not that I’m too cheap. It’s lack of time. I totally enjoy it, but I devote a lot of time and attention to geeking out over the Oilers. And this small bit of friction (i.e. signing up for a subscription) is just enough for me to reconsider where I devote my time and attention.

Personally, I have too much going on and will use this as an opportunity to dial back my Oilers geekery.

Take care! 🙂 (will still visit this blog!)

VOR:

One would think that there is a “non-compete” clause in the contract. The Athletic probably made a big enough concession to let Lowetide stay alive on “life-support”.

But it does create an opportunity for somebody else, or a group of somebody elses to create another spot.

The model is there to “steal”.

90. Cassandra says:

A ton of great content at the Athletic. Very impressed. Just read a very interesting breakdown of some kid named Saarijarvi I’ve never heard of.

Good analysis on the Duchene/Turris deal.

Cost is cheap. The only reason not to subscribe is productivity at work.

91. BustedSoulO says:

When Black Dog Pat bailed on his own little blog to go be “An Athletic”, I had a real serious chat with myself about actually paying for something on the internet.

While thinking it over, I came here, like I do a couple times a day to find shelter from the storm, and decided that the subscription was both unaffordable and more than likely not even worth it over the course of a year. And besides, nothing could top the level-headedness, balanced opinion, and beautifully crafted word palaces that I find here with good ol’ LT.

I consume pretty much everything offered over at oilerhockey (except for Copper & Blue, of course) a couple times a day; spreading the tabs out in front of me, and then knocking them down one at a time… always leaving “anything LT” for last. (always leave on a high note)

The Athletic and any comments anywhere about it has been on my periphery scope for months, but nothing I’ve heard or read has changed my mind about my decision. I miss BDPat. I really do, but…

But now the question is: How much can I afford to miss LT?

What is sanity worth? – Cuz that’s what you are Allen. Sanity. In a whirling swirling dervish of a$$holes with opinions – you, my friend, are the one that is grounded in reality. An everyday calm Captain amongst the daily storms of 3-second opinion peddlers.

Now, thanks to a sudden, rapid and bewilderingly unexpected decline in my health a few years back, I have had to give up my business of 26 years and retire 16 years too early, retreat to modest… everything, live my life on eggshells and count every penny twice.

Thanks to my luvable poop-eating/parasite contracting puppy I’ve blown my $$$ wad for this month just yesterday. Your post this morning is… how you say: ill-timed.

My question is thus: Will the “LT Discount” still be available on November 28th?

Because if I’ve learned anything over the last few years, it’s what I can and what I cannot afford to have or not have.

92. oilman says:

I’ve been reading and lurking on this site for a very long time, since just after the 06 run for sure, arguing with Vic Ferarri and Dennis King. And I’ll forever give myself the credit for your radio show :):

OILMAN says:
    November 20, 2007 at 1:22 am
    Good article…I was surprised to hear yo work for 1260….any chance you ever reprise your role as a radio personality with the content of your and the rest of the sphere’s blog as the content? I’d definitely tune in – you do a great job here.
    (Quote) (Reply)
    LOWETIDE says:
    November 20, 2007 at 1:24 am
    Oilman: Not a chance lol. I worked for close to 20 years on-air playing music and talking after the record. I can’t imagine talking for three hours straight and making sense.
    I’d go 5 minutes and then introduce “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.”

I don’t comment much anymore but I continue to read and tune in every day. It’s wonderful that this has opened up such great opportunities for you. Congrats, and continued success.

93. PunjabiOil says:

When Lowetide described MacT as “He had the coolest grey hair I’d ever seen. He was the Jesus of Cool.”

Can’t find the post though.

PunjabiOil:

When Lowetide described MacT as “He had the coolest grey hair I’d ever seen.He was the Jesus of Cool.”

Jesus of cool has become a catchphrase I use frequently in real life.

People always seem to forget that Jesus got crucified, which is one of the most painful ways of dying ever conceived. I never understand why people want to put that label on people…it is like wishing the worst suffering on them.

95. Professor Q says:

linkfromhyrule: You do? I have never had to change anything or even login again to comment on articles

Shoot. I just figured out how to get past that prompt. It was simply one of those suggestion things, like when you download something and they give you the option to download another program, and you unclick it because you don’t need it.

My bad, haha. Sad to see the Lowetide moniker gone, though, but it’s one of those steps in life I suppose.

96. GriffCity says:

Darnell is playing pretty darn well…..

97. jtblack says:

PunjabiOil,

I liked the Stan Weir stuff. not sure ifbhe was the originator. Good Laughs

98. jtblack says:

GriffCity:
    Darnell is playing pretty darn well…..

+1. Decision making seems more sound. Fingers crossed.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

GriffCity:
    Darnell is playing pretty darn well…..

I look forward to the announcement of his $4M X 7 contract.

100. Side says:

OriginalPouzar: I look forward to the announcement of his $4M X 7 contract.

Better this than him getting traded for a winger.

101. OriginalPouzar says:

Not surprisingly, Drake was not at practice.

Slepy was ok RW with Nuge and Lucic.

102. OriginalPouzar says:

Side: Better this than him getting traded for a winger.

What crazy talk, isn’t it?

The organization develops him perfectly for 3 plus years and when he takes his huge step forward the talk of trading him pops up – and for a slumping winger at that.

So silly!

Do we not forget the dumpster fire if a defence we had for the best part of the decade ? That defence combined with skilled wingers led to horrid results.

Now that we’ve got a solid defence building, there is talk of trading a key member for a skilled winger?

Crazy!

103. OriginalPouzar says:

Drake ruled out for tomorrow – not a good sign so early.

Slep is “a maybe”.

104. Side says:

OriginalPouzar: What crazy talk, isn’t it?

So silly!

Crazy!

“I am reasonably comfortable going forward with Gryba, Russell and Auvitu”

I would be dead if this was the attitude from Chiarelli if Nurse gets traded.

105. OriginalPouzar says:

With seven goals and 16 assists this season, Safin sits second in QMJHL rookie scoring.

106. JimmyV1965 says:

Side: Better this than him getting traded for a winger.

107. Ryan says:

Congratulations LT!!!

It’s been a wonderful voyage that you’ve taken us on these last several years. Spectacular writing and one of the most remarkable online communities on the Al Gore.

Would it be presumptuous for me to suggest that you ease the transition by having someone dim the lights for your posts over at the Athletic? I’ve oddly grown accustomed to the dark background / light font here.

108. OmJo says:

LT, just promise us that the balance photo will be a Lowetide.ca exclusive, for when that magical day comes.

109. jp says:

Congratulations LT!

Great to hear this blog will continue, and have just signed myself up for the Athletic as well.

110. Side says:

JimmyV1965: What about Klef for Marner? The Leafs have to do something with Leivo, but how can you evaluate someone who basically didn’t play last year or this year?

I would do Benning for Marner. Or Russell for Marner in an ideal world.

Definitely would not do Nurse or Klefbom for Marner.

111. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

14 years and this is it…

It feels like a Shawn Horcoff type of situation….

I don’t begrudge you for taking the deal, but think it stinks all the same…

But who am I?

Congrats Allen.

Thank you for making the dark times bearable.

112. unca miltie says:

Congratulations, LT. It has been interesting watch your growth over the last few years. First this site and then back on the air with Oilers Nation, then your Lowetide show plus lots of writing in various places on line. If your offer is lucrative, you have earned every penny. I did subscribe to the Athletic very early, but do not go there as often as I come to this site. I look forward to continuing reading and following you.

113. Cassandra says:

Side: I would do Benning for Marner. Or Russell for Marner in an ideal world.

Definitely would not do Nurse or Klefbom for Marner.

This is hilarious, because it is highly unlikely chance that Toronto would trade Marner for just Klefbom. You have to remember that Chiarelli can only be on one side of the deal.

114. Cassandra says:

Side: I would do Benning for Marner. Or Russell for Marner in an ideal world.

Definitely would not do Nurse or Klefbom for Marner.

I missed the Russell for Marner part the first time.

Hilarious doesn’t cover it. Russell’s contract has negative value (i.e. he would pass through waivers).. Marner has significant positive value. I know you said “in an ideal world” but your sense of ideal should have some real in it.

115. Connoreah says:

Congrats LT.

You are many things to many people, as the comments section proves.

For me, when the Oilers play well or McDavid does McDavid things, I can’t wait until 8:30 to read your descriptions, especially ones that refer to Connor in biblical terms. Gives me goosebumps every time. I read those comments repeatedly throughout the day, smiling like an idiot.

When the Oilers are not doing well, I open the page hoping, praying, willing your commentary to be optimistic and reassuring to make me feel better. That doesn’t always happen, but I always get a fair (and sometimes painful) assessment. Yet somehow everything seems less terrible after reading your thoughts.

Magic.

116. Side says:

Cassandra: I missed the Russell for Marner part the first time.

Hilarious doesn’t cover it.Russell’s contract has negative value (i.e. he would pass through waivers)..Marner has significant positive value.I know you said “in an ideal world” but your sense of ideal should have some real in it.

There have been rumors of Nurse for Marner which is what my comment is going off of. I think Klefbom is the better player and a more established D. If you disagree, feel free to provide the statistical evidence.

An ideal world, for the Oilers. I’m sorry, I didn’t know I had to do some world building to describe my “ideal world”. Lol. It’s hilarious that you are trying to tell me what an “ideal world” should consist of.

Reaching for an argument much?

117. DBO says:

Congrats LT. I subscribed for the athletic right away, and am amazed at the talent they have assembled. So happy to hear you will be an even bigger contributor going forward. And still doing this s blog? Hope the dog doesn’t need walks cause with the three blog spots and the radio, he is gonna get fat!

As for the Oil. Need a RD badly. Russell can’t be the fast puck mover of his pairing. And Gryba is a solid number 7, nothing more.

Up front, Todd’s stubborness to not split up the dynamic duo baffles me. 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 sure. But 5 on 5 it makes too much sense to spread it out. And is needed desperately. That line scores but are getting beat on chances game after game.

118. RedNed says:

Congratulations LT. And, now I know where the Black Dog went! And Dellow…
    I’ll keep coming here but won’t see you at the Atheletic. I have a hard time paying for my internet connection as it is (regional Australia). I came to Lowetide via MC79, the two together have given me an understanding of this wonderful game that I would otherwise never have had. Hard to know exactly what I feel about it all, you deserve to get paid, but I am slowly losing sight of what makes the internet such an enabler. In any event, keep on keeping on.

119. Chachi says:

Cassandra: This is hilarious, because it is highly unlikely chance that Toronto would trade Marner for just Klefbom.You have to remember thatChiarelli can only be on one side of the deal.

You are the Jesus of Chiarelli navel-gazing.

120. JimmyV1965 says:

Side: I would do Benning for Marner. Or Russell for Marner in an ideal world.

Definitely would not do Nurse or Klefbom for Marner.

Not sure if I would trade Klef or Nurse for Marner, but Russell or Benning doesn’t even come close to getting it done. A more realistic option might be Benning for Leivo. Could be interesting.

121. Side says:

JimmyV1965: Not sure if I would trade Klef or Nurse for Marner, but Russell or Benning doesn’t even come close to getting it done. A more realistic option might be Benning for Leivo.Could be interesting.

I agree. I don’t think Benning would be enough either but, I wouldn’t want the Oilers to give up more than Benning. Russell is just dreaming on my part, because in reality I don’t think any team would want him or his salary at this moment.

122. oilguy6969 says:

LT!! Congratulations!!! I have read your blog for years and i have to say that you deserve this opportunity more than most. In my opinion, you are not a blogger, you are a writer, which is more than most could say in the modern day sports writing community. Its always been a treat to read up on my favourite sports team on this site and am glad you are off to bigger things. I will most definitely be subscribing as i love the idea of even more in depth writing from you on all things Oilers. Thanks LT, I’m happy for you!

123. --hudson-- says:

Congrats LT! All the best for you and your family with the new opportunity, I will be subscribing in a few minutes.

Very impressive to see how well you have done for yourself. I remember when you were a poster and a mod on HF, when you were just lowtide (no e), and the day you accidentally deleted your first blog.

Will miss your personal stories, assembling Christmas presents for your kids (though I guess it’s not the same anymore), stories of your parents, and of your dog chewing your underwear. You enhanced my understanding of the game, the Oilers and assembled an awesome community. Please make sure to bring Stan Weir and the balance photo (if it’s ever earned) to the new place.

124. JimmyV1965 says:

Side: I agree. I don’t think Benning would be enough either but, I wouldn’t want the Oilers to give up more than Benning.Russell is just dreaming on my part, because in reality I don’t think any team would want him or his salary at this moment.

125. GMB3 says:

Chachi, what’s your favourite flavour of kool-aid? Mines blue.

126. Chachi says:

GMB3: Chachi, what’s your favourite flavour of kool-aid? Mines blue.

Whatever flavour your mother makes for me.

127. Side says:

JimmyV1965: Leivo might be real interesting. Lots of upside, but he’s basically sat in the press box for two years. Played only 18 games last year and two this year. Benning might be an overpay, but this is the type of player the Oil should be looking at.

Overpaying is what I wish Chiarelli would stop doing though. I don’t know how many times I heard from fans/management/analysts after the Hall/Larsson trade that “this is the price you pay to get a good defenseman”.

I’m hoping if Chiarelli is making any deal involving one of his defenseman in the future, he is the one getting the other GM to overpay for one of his D.

128. sliderule says:

jtblack,

The oilers had Need for a defender ready to play with the Connor era and Reinhart seemed to me to fit the bill.
    Saw him good in junior.
    Didn’t see him play in AHL but oilers surely must have.😂
    Unfortunatly oilers must have been relying on junior performance as reports from other scouts about AHL play were not positive..
    Since the trade he has been criticized for his off season conditioning and work ethic.
    Green as the GM who drafted him for the oil kings should have known that but you have to assume he was all in on trade.

129. GMB3 says:

Chachi: Whatever flavour your mother makes for me.

That is an excellent school yard burn. I lol’d. Definitely blue then

130. Chachi says:

GMB3: That is an excellent school yard burn. I lol’d. Definitely blue then

You teed it up for me. You are the Jesus of juvenile joke set-ups.

131. flea says:

The hockey trade I foresee is Pulju plus maybe a pick for a similiar young player that is already in the NHL. Marner would be a good target. Trading the upside of JP for a more established safe bet.

Or they could just call up JP and see what happens.

132. fuzzy muppet says:

Congrats LT!

Well deserved. Your blog kept me coming back to the Oilers during the dark ages.

All the best

133. stevezie says:

Congratulations sir. Appreciated the on-air compliment on my twitter handle yesterday (allhustlenohands).
    I used to be the ethan Moreau of div 15 beer league, then I learned to take faceoffs and became the Jochen Hecht of div 1 beer league. I hope to someday upgrade to Horcoff.

Anyway, my love to everyone.

134. treevojo says:

Are you still going to be continueing the game day threads?

They are part of how I consume Oilers games.

Beer in one hand.

Phone opened to Lowetide in the other.

And for the few games I miss it is how I catch up on some of the action.

135. Jonathan Willis says:

Anyone following Lowetide over to The Athletic shouldn’t expect him to stop sharing personal stories and anecdotes about baseball players who died before I was born. If you don’t believe me, just read a couple of Black Dog Pat’s stories when you first log in: you’ll find we’re not as buttoned-down as all that.

136. stevezie says:

godot10: People always seem to forget that Jesus got crucified, which is one of the most painful ways of dying ever conceived.I never understand why people want to put that label on people…it is like wishing the worst suffering on them.

You realize how he died was not his defining trait for most people?

137. Gerta Rauss says:

Congrats LT

I signed up for the Athletic over the weekend to read Willis’ latest article…best $4 I ever spent!!

138. --hudson-- says:

One other interesting piece in Toronto is Nikita Soshnikov. He didn’t appear to have the offence of Leivo until this year and he’s currently in the AHL. If he’s not called up to the NHL by Nov. 14 he has an out clause that would enable him to go to the KHL this season (he doesn’t want to go).

The roster pressure could force Toronto to move him or another piece within the next week.

139. stevezie says:

Cassandra,

Did you catch Gregor saying he wouldn’t deal Nurse for Marner?

I like Nurse plenty, but he is the most publically over-valued/untradeable player since Ryan Smyth. Hamilton, Marner, younger Hamonic… nothing comes close to the value he holds in the hearts and minds of Joe Oiler.
    bendelson,

Hi Bendjelson!

Chachi: Whatever flavour your mother makes for me.

Nice

140. OriginalPouzar says:

This team spent a decade wallowing at the bottom of the league largely due to a terrible defensive core and a reliance on smallish skilled wingers.

We have finally acquired and developed a defensive core that can compete in the NHL and part of the fan base think it’s a good idea to trade a material piece of hat core for a smallish skilled winger?

Not to mention, this dman has been developed by the organization with patience and dedication over the last 3 or so years and the team is just starting to reap the benefits of that development t as he takes a huge step forward and is one of the few good news stories of the year.

Marner would be cheap for an extra year, however, if he provides value for the Oilers that is in line with the value we’d be trading out for him, he’I’ll require a contract north of $6M with term – a contract this team cannot afford with Lucic on the payroll.

Our forward/winger prospects (Yamamoto, Puljijarvi, Benson) are closer to the NHL than our defence prospects (Bear, Jones, Mantha, Berglund, Lagesson) and none of those dmen should be considered sure things. Not to mention some additional high ceiling talents in Safin and Maksimov a bit farther away.

We cannot afford to trade this dman for this type of winger.

141. GMB3 says:

Chachi: You teed it up for me. You are the Jesus of juvenile joke set-ups.

The Barzal to your Eberle

142. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:

We cannot afford to trade this dman for this type of winger.

Having said that, we need another scorer desperately. Toronto has some interesting pieces but they need a dman who can play today. Benning might be the piece that gets it done.

143. Bruce McCurdy says:

Congrats to you, Lowetide. I’m already signed up for the Athletic, whose Edmonton section consists of several outstanding writers, not to mention some fine people who I am fortunate to consider friends.

I have long valued your blog here, both for your own input and for the comments section, which for me has been something of a touchstone to an important cross section of the fanbase. I’m keen to see how things will fall out in that department going forward, but for now I would like to echo your thanks to the many people who have poured their thoughts & ideas & fears & hopes into this ongoing dialogue. For all that Edmonton was considered a “knowledgeable fan base” back in the ’80s, fact is we had no such forum to exchange viewpoints in such a meaningful way.

144. Chachi says:

GMB3: The Barzal to your Eberle

That would explain why I had zero school yard burns during the playoffs.

145. GMB3 says:

Chachi: That would explain why I had zero school yard burns during the playoffs.

But you could have this year, maybe.

146. Chachi says:

GMB3: But you could have this year, maybe.

We’ll never know.

147. CrazyCoach says:

Hey LT,

Congratulations on your move to the The Athletic. I joined about a month ago after Bruce was telling me about it. I used to think it was a challenge keeping up here and now I get swamped at The Athletic.

Cheers!

148. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar:

We cannot afford to trade this dman for this type of winger.

Good post.

As good as I think he and McDavid would be, there’s no way we could afford him after his ELC is up.

We might not even be able to keep Nurse. Mariner will likely cost more. So while it might be a good trade for this season, in the long term… Nope. If only we had $6M in cap space and an open roster spot in the top 6. Sigh.

Our defence is better, but still not deep enough to trade away a young Darnell Nurse who’s getting better every game it seems. It could be Petry all over again, develop a really good defenceman and then send him away. No thanks.

149. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965: Ultimately I think you’re right about this. Love Nurse. Even before the season started and everyone was gushing about Benning, I still saw Nurse as a much better prospect. How many young dmen possess his combo of size, strength, speed and nastiness? Trouba maybe. And Trouba is struggling right now. He and Larsson could be an elite shutdown pair by this time next year and Nurse will be the anchor.

The more apt trade for me is something smaller – Josh Leino as the target.

Just because we have not had any of the youngsters step up and take the role of scoring winger doesn’t mean the plan changes.

Our cap structure still requires a young cheap winger in the top 6 that outperforms his contract (and a stream of such players). Unless we are magically able to get rid of Lucic (or Russell), we cannot afford another high priced winger (which Marner would be in a year and a bit or else we got killed in yet another trade).

150. Mr. D. says:

Just laughable that people still expect a dman to make contact with a forward after he chips the puck past him. THIS IS INTERFERENCE. This is where the supporting backcheckers come in to play. Give the forward the outside. Nurse did what posters on here expect and he sat for interference. The D men are supposed to release after 1to 2 strides after the dump. You have to be gapped up super tight which makes the inside more attainable.
    This isn’t your grandpa’s hockey.
    The NHL is making rule changes for more scoring chances. Get used to it.

151. hags9k says:

Congrats LT! I hope you are happy at the Athletic, they probably don’t deserve you.

I’ve been a little hesitant but if you say so, I’ll scurry on over there.

You are the Pied Piper after all.

152. dessert1111 says:

This reminds me a bit of when your favourite band gets big – you’re happy for them and excited more people will hear what you’ve grown to love, but know that the intimacy of that listening experience won’t be quite the same.

I’ve been with you for about six years, and as others have stated, this has become my favourite spot on the internet. I won’t wax too poetic about what it’s meant for me personally, but you’ve inspired me in more than one way. When people ask me who my favourite writer is, I’m often tempted to pull a George Costanza and say LT, even though I’m hanging around artsy and literary folks.

Curious to see what this means for the blog, but I’m sure all will be revealed shortly.

If the evening column is no more, I would support a weekly column idea from some of the commenters and other folks who desire that platform. Could help continue your legacy as a community builder.

I’m unsure if I will subscribe – like another poster said, I’m a busy guy and already devote more time than I should (and more time than my partner would like) to following the Oilers, but you and Pat and the others make it tempting all the same. If Bruce gets on board too that might do it.

Congratulations, sir. Things may not be the same here but they never are anywhere, and I hope this opportunity enriches your life.

153. 99thoilerfan says:

I am a Daily Reader, but only log in for the important days. It appears that this is one.

I always felt I was Norm, walking into Cheers, to hear tales of beer, steak rubs, and of course Oilers!

Congrats on your new digs, but hope you leave a candle burning here. I be here to check tomorrow!

Cheers !

154. Woodguy v2.0 says:

russ99:
    Huge fan of the Athletic already, upped for the year.

I’d suggest to anyone who enjoys sports writing to at least try it out.

Been my lunchtime reading every day, since I subscribed.

Back to the Oilers:

What does Ryan Strome need to do to get out of Siberia?Centering Jokinen and Pakarinen is a huge step down.

Agreed on the Dellow piece.

Lots of “yes!” moments in that article.

I’ve subscribed to The Athletic for a while now and Dellow, Custance and Bourne just churn out the quality content day after day.

I have all NHL teams on my content list and there’s more good content than I can read.

$8/month is not “tier 1” pricing either.

It’s pretty damn cheap and you can sign up for less to start.

155. jimdewger says:

I must say the broader sports world is lucky for you to be joining The Athletic. Soon everyone will know about Stan Weir, prairie winters, old baseball players, and curvy women with poor eyesight. You’re the best, Lowetide.

156. geowal says:

It’s past 5pm with no new post on a non-game day….what to do with myself?
    I guess I could look into that Athletic thingy again…

157. The Hermit says:

Congratulations LT, best wishes to you and your family. 🙂

158. Lloyd B. says:

Woodguy v2.0: Agreed on the Dellow piece.

Lots of “yes!” moments in that article.

$8/month is not “tier 1” pricing either.

It’s pretty damn cheap and you can sign up for less to start.

Look everybody there is an old man about to talk.

One of my first jobs was delivering the Edmonton Journal door to door. I would pick the papers up after school and deliver them to my assigned route. About 50 houses weekdays and 80 on weekends.

We had to collect for the papers every Friday. 10 cents for M-F and $0.25 for Sat and Sun. Yep $1.00 per week.

In those days the “news” I delivered was what happened yesterday. You found out about it over supper the next day.

I guess what I’m getting at is even though some are reluctant to pay for any news at any price when so much is available for free…in the good old days we happily paid $1.00 a week for yesterdays news.

My subscription to LTs newest adventure is $4.00 a month. Quite frankly, less than what I hit the old pay pal for LT as a stand alone writer.

I have to tell you this was a great day. Between these comments, emails, phonecalls and various other forms of communication, I have had a very good day after not getting a lot of sleep last night worrying. Thanks for all the notes, really appreciated.

160. Mantis says:

Yes, it’s time for all of us lurkers to come crawling out of the woodwork and make a rare comment (sorry for the bad analogy WG!)

LT, I’m thrilled for you and there is no one that deserves it more. It’s really strange – I spend hours here, daily. I have for years. I realize you have no idea who I am, but to me you feel like an old friend. I’m one of the older crew, and your stories of Canadian winters, vacations with the family, Mom & Dad and the old days, they really resonate with me. Evokes many memories from my past, as I’m sure it does for many of your readers.

You know more than most the dark times we-the-faithful have endured over the past decade and beyond. Thank you for spreading the light!

161. OriginalPouzar says:

I am hopeful that, over time, The Athletic will update their comments section to a format that is conducive to conversation and dialogue like this place. I don’t find it confusion in its current format.

Also, maybe I need to play around with it a bit more but I have trouble commenting on The Athleric articles when on the app but have no problem in the browser format.

162. stush18 says:

Well done LT.

It’s strange I’ve never met anyone here in person, but look to lots of you like old friends. Or maybe it isn’t.

Either way, fuck bookjie!

163. Ryan says:

OriginalPouzar,

Comments are great for sites that monetize search traffic and page views with banner ads, but not of much use for a subscription model as they just increase server load for already subscribed customers.

164. littleenglish says:

Congrats LT! Hope the couch over there is just as comfy as it is here listening to your hallowed stories.

165. Showerhead says:

Congratulations on the big time gig, LT!

I posted to the same effect on your Athletic piece but you’ve always been the gold standard in terms of community building. The Athletic is lucky to have you and we’re all just as lucky you’re going to keep this here tavern open.

Also, shameless plug time: if anyone who’s signed up wants to wander over to the Jets section, that there “Murat” fellow is me. Given that I’ve been raised right here and on HFB by Lowetide, BDHS, and others, I’d love to know what you folks think.

Finally, let me echo Willis’ post: The Athletic allows (and wholeheartedly encourages) Black Dog to be Black Dog and I expect nothing less than the same for LT. That Oilers section is just stacked – between it, here, Woodguy/GMoney, it’s amazing really. Oiler fandom has produced some simply wonderful writing over the years.

Bringing it back to the original point of this post: Lowetide, congratulations. Well earned, well-deserved, and, well, just keep doing what you do.

166. "Steve Smith" says:

Congrats, LT. When I decided to become a Nashville Predators fan over the off-season, I made some effort to find an online home for my fandom, and of course there wasn’t one, or at least not one that met the standard that you have taught me to expect. Accordingly, I have not followed the Nashville Predators at all. Instead, by virtue of this blog, I have continued to follow the Oilers – just not to cheer for them.

I’ve always said that you deserved to get rich doing it – didn’t seem likely, but I hope you weren’t kidding about the “lucrative” bit. Your contribution to Oilers fandom over the last fourteen years has reached the levels of the absurd.

“Steve”

167. deardylan says:

What a 14 year journey! Your daughter deserves a special dinner with you for inspiring you on this journey when you get your signing bonus. Love it Lowetide!

168. deardylan says:

What did you first blog look like?

Dylan

169. Lewis Grant says:

The family coffin!

170. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Congrats LT. This site is always the first site I read every morning, and during lunch at work.
    Gonna seriously consider signing up with the athletic now. I’ve never spent a dime on any newspapers or magazines up until now, mostly because I’m cheap, and can find alternate sources on the internet for free. But I’m not sure I can get by without the daily lowetide-icles. There is no alternate… Lowetide is the Tops!

deardylan:

What did you first blog look like?

Dylan

It was blue on blue.

172. Lewis Grant says:

JimmyV1965: What about Klef for Marner?

The Leafs should take this offer, but they wouldn’t.

We shouldn’t make this offer, but we probably would.

Marner has more flash, but defencemen are worth SO much more. They play twice as much!

After the decade of darkness, I’m convinced that you can never have too many good defencemen, especially ones like signed for cheap like Klefbom. Nashville has built themselves on defencemen, and done pretty well for themselves. (And other than 17 games of Peter Forsberg, they have done it without ever having a McDavid or even a Draisaitl up front.)

173. Philosophil says:

cheers LT, well done. Better a living wake than a funeral for the long time addicts. Fentanyl looks to LT for guidance. Seen several insightful goodbyes, i think “Sail on Maidstone Marauder” was maybe the most fitting.

All the best LT. All good things must end.

174. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well, shit. wow. ok. amazing, LT.

175. New Improved Darkness says:

In all the years I spent here, I felt I was batting way down the order behind a Grecian Urn.

On the bright side, I won’t really believe you’ve left until you share the Ziggy story in your new digs.

We had a 1976 Dodge Colt, it was white with a denim hardtop roof. We had to get gas, so hit the Mohawk (by the Tastee Freez, over by Bower Mall) on the way out of Red Deer. We had been married one year and a little bit, I took a picture of her walking out of the Mohawk with two Cokes and some cheezies. Still have that photo, still remember the promise in that moment. This is us.

And still looking damn fine.

176. treevojo says:

treevojo:

Are you still going to be continueing the game day threads?

They are part of how I consume Oilers games.

Beer in one hand.

Phone opened to Lowetide in the other.

And for the few games I miss it is how I catch up on some of the action.

I guess I will have to wait till tomorrow to figure out if I have to do something else with my other hand.

Man I hope that sounds as bad to everybody as it sounds when I reread it.

177. Woodguy v2.0 says:

“Steve Smith”,

“Steve”

I don’t think that’s your real name.

178. Woodguy v2.0 says:

New Improved Darkness:

And still looking damn fine.

Sometimes reading LT is like a combination of a Stephen King and John Mellencamp when they’re both at their best.

You can smell the air and understand the emotion.

179. Woodguy v2.0 says:

stush18:
    Well done LT.

Either way, fuck bookjie!

I agree.

Fuck that guy.

180. Romulus Apotheosis says:

There’s never been a place on earth where I’ve felt more at home yelling “C’mon Gary! Jesus Christ! FUCK!” at Cam Barker than right here at LT’s place.

This means something.

181. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Interesting going on in CHI:

Cody Franson, right-handed shot

Franson has gone from a PTO to top pairing on the Blackhawks. After signing a one-year deal at the end of training camp, he was mostly on the outside looking in through the first 10 games of the season. He then opened Quenneville’s eyes with his play against the Colorado Avalanche four games ago, and he’s been in the lineup ever since.

During those four games, Franson had a plus-32 Corsi, plus-20 shots on goal and plus 1-goal differential. He’s also been paired with Duncan Keith, has been the lone defenseman on the first power play unit and has been averaging about 20 minutes a game. Keith and Franson go up against top-6 forwards, but Quenneville tries to utilize them in offensive situations. Franson’s hard shot opens up scoring chances the other defensemen have mostly struggled to create this season. For the season, Franson has a 56.98 Corsi percentage and a plus-3 goal differential in six games

3 time Cup winner and Hall of Fame lock coach Quenneville likes Franson eh?

Source: Scott Powers – The Athletic Chicago

182. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

This means something.

That means quite a lot

183. stevezie says:

Enough to make me wish I had gotten more sentimental. A truly great site.

I hope this comes off as a compliment, but seeing you get big later in life makes me feel better about my own future. Onward and upward.

184. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: It was blue on blue.

The ol’ Harold Ballard approach, eh?

For those who aren’t a hundred years old, when the NHL first introduced namebars on sweaters Ballard immediately objected (he was an objectionable sort, to put it mildly) that giving customers the player names for free would only serve to cut into program sales. So he announced that his plan was to put white namebars on the white sweaters and blue on the blue.

It never happened, just another empty threat by Old Weird Harold, but it was a fun conversation for a while.

185. stevezie says:

I have yet to meet anyone from the site in person, but I have had a couple of people I already knew irl ask me if I was Stevezie from the LT comment section. Its own kind of thrill.

“Steve Smith”,

I tried stitching to the Bolts. Preds, but can’t seem to manufacture the passion. Reminds me of the time I was finally able to part ways with a woman but never ever able to get really excited about anyone else…

Romulus Apotheosis,

Couldn’t have said it better.

Woodguy v2.0,

Are you trying to imply Joel Quenneville knows more than me? I don’t know if I care for this development.

186. Dennis L says:

LT, you, your storytelling, your balance, the community you built, all of it is special.

Followed you to the Athletic when you first announced, and now, I suppose, this place can give some way for some more time over there. It is pretty good, after all.

Thank you. Congratulations. Good luck, and God speed. I hope you keep the radio thing going too. That’s almost as much of my daily dose as this place. Cheers.

187. Harpers Hair says:

Hey Al.
    Sorry that the inter webs got a little darker today but very happy for you
    DSF

188. Ryan says:

Lowetide: It was blue on blue.

The genius of The Athletic was realizing that quality writers do matter and paying them accordingly also matters.

Your genius (aside for your brilliant writing) was realizing that making us feel like our opinions matter is important… also that the community especially matters.

Hopefully The Athletic can make a way for a marriage of the two work.

Harold Ballard was Harold Ballard

190. OriginalPouzar says:

This place will remain my first click every morning well before sunrise.

I will still look forward to 8:30 am daily and continued discussion throughout the day.

191. Lloyd B. says:

Harold Ballard was Harold Ballard

And yet…last week an NFL quarterback brings up pretty much the same issues about a woman covering mens pro sports.

192. dustrock says:

No evening blog. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

193. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

As many have echoed LT… you may feel lucky to be where you are now, but you’re just being too blinded by humility to realize you fully deserve it. Many congratulations and I look forward to reading more content from you at the Athletic.

If it isn’t too much to ask, I really do like the compiled list of stories you found interesting. There is so much content at the Athletic I often run out of time to get to much of it, so seeing an oilers specific highlight reel (especially from non-oiler posts) is fantastic.

All the best, and thank you (to LT and the community) for the many, many tales and insights over the years.

194. LadiesloveSmid says:

Congratulations LT! You deserve it!

195. bendelson says:

stevezie,

Hey.

——

The other day, when I dropped a new turn of phrase on my wife, she shot me a quick glance and asked with equal parts sarcasm and wry smile, if it got that from ‘Lowetide’?

‘Nonsense’ I said… ‘I’ve always been indifferent about Belgium. Now let’s hit the blacktop sugar!#%, we’re burning daylight here’.

Good times LT.

196. OmJo says:

dustrock:

Those boosts have helped me get through so many long shifts at work throughout the week Gonna miss those.

197. The Precog JDî says:

I feel like my dog ran away, but he found a better home where he gets steak and lots of belly scratches.

Good boy!

198. tubes says:

Congrats LT, you deserve it more than anyone.

I’ve been reading this blog as long as I can remember, not quite since the beginning, but somewhat close to.

It is a dear friend of mine and I will miss the evening posts and reading through the comments. Sail on evening LT, sail on.

Also, I’ll be subscribing to The Athletic now as I wasn’t totally convinced before.

Cheers to all.

199. Nailer Yakumoto says:

The four people on my “non Oilers” Oilers Mount Rushmore.

Joey Moss