AHL Game Nine: Condors at Roadrunners

The Bakersfield Condors (5-4-1) are in tough tonight in Tuscon as they face the Roadrunners (6-1-2) without Brad Malone and Jesse Puljujarvi. Oilers fans who follow the Condors still have some promising players to monitor in tonight’s lineup, with the defensive group worthy of note.

TONIGHT’S LINEUP

• Joey Laleggia (10, 3-3-6)—Grayson Downing (6, 0-2-2)—Ty Rattie (10, 6-3-9)
  • Ryan Hamilton (10, 0-4-4)—Joe Gambardella (9, 2-2-4)—Dave Gust (9, 3-0-3
  • Braden Christoffer (8, 2-2-4)—Kyle Platzer—Patrick Russell (10, 2-1-3)
  • Brian Ferlin—Josh Currie (10, 1-2-3)—Mitch Callahan (10, 0-0-0)
  • Caleb Jones (10, 0-3-3)—Dillon Simpson (10, 0-3-3)
  • Ziyat Paigin (6, 0-0-0)—Ryan Mantha (10, 0-3-3)
  • Ryan Stanton (3, 0-0-0)—Ben Betker (7, 0-0-0)
  • Nick Ellis (6, 2.26 .929) (Edward Pasquale)

The key prospects to watch tonight include Caleb Jones, Nick Ellis, Ryan Mantha, Ziyat Paigin, Joey Laleggia and Joe Gambardella. This team needs centers. Kyle Platzer plays his first AHL game of the season.

THE ATHLETIC

The special Lowetide offer is here. Among the items on the menu today are:

More tomorrow.

63 Responses to "AHL Game Nine: Condors at Roadrunners"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m not nearly as excited to keep tabs on this game as I was 12 hours ago prior to Jesse’s recall. Oh well!

I see Bear is still out – must be fully diagnosed with a concussion now?

2. OriginalPouzar says:

I thought Fayne was supposed to be back last week – guess not.

3. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Rasenen with a goal and 2nd assist in the first period for Boston College.

Woodguy v2.0:
    Rasenen with a goal and 2nd assist in the first period for Boston College.

Speed is the only worry. He’s a really good two-way center.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

St. John with yet another OTL – no points for Safin but he did have 8 shots on net.

6. anonymous says:

Congrats on the new gig LT. I know what it’s like to love what you do and have it pay off. Easy to get up in the morning. Doesn’t seem like much has changed here though.

7. frjohnk says:

Have not watched a Condors game, but Ellis has posted some nice numbers

8. OriginalPouzar says:

frjohnk:
    Have not watched a Condors game, but Ellis has posted some nice numbers

Ellis has had one tough game (I think) but has been good to great in the others – I think he was player of the week a couple of weeks ago.

9. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: After decent starts to the year, both our junior prospect goalies are struggling and have been for weeks.

thanks

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto with an early assist in his first game.

11. jtblack says:

YAMMY UPDATE:

1 G 2 A in 1st period 🙂

Ryan Hamilton (Dillon Simpson, Ty Rattie)

13. OriginalPouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Yamamoto with an early assist in his first game.

Check that, Yamamoto has a goal and two assists in the first period.

The goal was a shortie.

14. GMB3 says:

Anyone know of anywhere a guy could stream the Spokane Chiefs game?

15. OriginalPouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:

Safin now leads the Q in shots.

16. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3:
    Anyone know of anywhere a guy could stream the Spokane Chiefs game?

Gotta pay though:

Kyle Platzer unassisted.

18. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– So I haven’t pulled the trigger on the Athletic yet. I’ve got some observations and questions:

– I’ve never paid for a subscription on internet before (but give multiples to this site than the 1 year site)

– So its a mental hurdle on one hand, but also tough to accept giving up on the dream of this I guess

– But the Athletic is awesome right? And once I get it, I’m gonna love it right?

– Is there a comment section like here? Are lots of LT’ers posting there now?

19. flyfish1168 says:

Tyler Pitlick missing game. Undisclosed injury.

20. Aron_S says:

LT,

A few questions for you: with the increased workload at the Athletic is your relationship with OilersNation ending or are we seeing fewer contributions? With Willis gone to the Athletic and their format change in commenting, I’ve found the site doesn’t feel the same. With no LT, I’d just be hanging around for a few Gregor articles.

Secondly, I’ve noticed that your early articles at the Athletic haven’t had the usual LT panache that I’ve come to expect. I see Pat’s work is very much in this flavour, but are we going to see a bit more of your personality in your writing at the Athletic? I saw JW stopped by here the other day to suggest that the Athletic wasn’t so buttoned down that there wasn’t room for your brilliant anecdotal intros.

Thanks for your time and all you do for the community!

21. jtblack says:

YAMMY UPDATE:

2 G 2 A after 2

22. jtblack says:

YAMMY CORRECTION:

1 G 3 A after 2

23. Glass says:

OriginalPouzar,

Man is this kid ever hitting his stride. For his first season on NA ice this is pretty impressive. One more season in the Q to ‘marinate him’? This is a prospect I feel it’s best to take it slow with.

24. Lloyd B. says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – So I haven’t pulled the trigger on the Athletic yet.I’ve got some observations and questions:

– But the Athletic is awesome right?And once I get it, I’m gonna love it right?

– Is there a comment section like here?Are lots of LT’ers posting there now?

Come on in. The waters fine.

Don’t expect it to be the same. It’s not.

It is different. Definitely not as “folksy”.

As I said in a post a few days ago. In days gone by people paid a buck a week for yesterdays news.

Today you will pay a buck a week for any manner of sports coverage that is expanding at a great rate.

Lots of great detailed analysis.

And so far at least, a much more grown up comments section. Like it was here not that very long ago.

The good thing is if you don’t like it you don’t renew. As you said, and it likely holds for most here, the cost of the subscription is less than what was paid here through pay pal.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:
    YAMMY CORRECTION:

1 G 3 A after 2

4 shots for Kailer through those two periods.

Benson with a goal and 2 shots in the first period.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

– But the Athletic is awesome right?And once I get it, I’m gonna love it right?

– Is there a comment section like here?Are lots of LT’ers posting there now?

You will love the content – some very very well researched and written pieces.

There is a comments Section but its not, in my opinion, conducive to conversation – its more similar to the ON set-up on its re-launch.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Kyle Platzer unassisted.

I was never quite sure why he was in the ECHL for a month.

28. Woodguy v2.0 says:

via Steve Kournianos:

ECAC: RHD Phil Kemp (EDM 7th/2017) picked up an assist in Yale’s 6-1 romp over St. Lawrence. Now with a goal and two assists in 5 games, plus 10 shots. Not bad for a kid who was a stay-at-home type on the NTDP.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

Glass:
    OriginalPouzar,

Its been very promising following him since draft day – I was very impressed with him in rookie camp.

Absolutely, he’ll be back in the Q next year – won’t be eligible for the AHL yet (nor will Maksimov).

30. OriginalPouzar says:

Tough night so far for Ellis – 6 goals in 33 shots through 2.

31. leadfarmer says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

– But the Athletic is awesome right?And once I get it, I’m gonna love it right?

– Is there a comment section like here?Are lots of LT’ers posting there now?

What LT has built here has not been replicated anywhere on the interwebs. The articles are pretty good. It’s nice to check out a writer for a different team once in a while. The community is in its early stages though. And worst of all you can’t use your nickname so you have no idea who is who after a decade here. Hopefully the people that run it will change that

Tyler Benson has a goal tonight.

33. VOR says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

– But the Athletic is awesome right?And once I get it, I’m gonna love it right?

– Is there a comment section like here?Are lots of LT’ers posting there now?

Don’t get me wrong there is some really interesting stuff on the Athletic. It is a reasonably pleasant way to waste a few hours. Occasionally there are must read pieces. But the vast majority is well researched and well written and that is all it is.

In other words the writing is by and large professional and workman like. But there is no Grantland Rice or Damon Runyan to be found here. There is most definitely not any Bill James.

There is also no community yet. I am suspicious there never will be.

So a good beginning certainly but brilliant, not close.

Josh Currie (Caleb Jones, Mitch Callahan). I believe that’s Callahan’s first point of theseason. 6-3 Tuscon now.

35. Gerta Rauss says:

leadfarmer: And worst of all you can’t use your nickname so you have no idea who is who after a decade here. Hopefully the people that run it will change that

Yes, agreed

It’s early and I’m sure they will upgrade/update the site over time

It’s a nice site-I signed up about 10 days ago and I’ve barely scratched the surface. It’s nice reading Dellow again.

36. jtblack says:

YAMMY FINAL:

1 G 3 A; +4, 4 SHOTS. 1ST STAR

Ty Smith (Projected Top 15 pick this yr) 1 G 2 A, +4 Excellent D man

37. Ryan says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

– But the Athletic is awesome right?And once I get it, I’m gonna love it right?

– Is there a comment section like here?Are lots of LT’ers posting there now?

I’ve been a member of The Athletic prior to the day the music died.

The content is very good though many of us have been spoiled in the days of free Dellow, Lowetide, and Young Willis.

I’m optimistic though not certain that The Athletic will learn from Lowetide the value of a decent comment system and more impotantly community!!!

Yes, please let us customize our handles. I’ve spent years branding ‘Ryan’ from Lowetide and no one here cares to know my real name nor do I myself care to disclose this info.

38. Lloyd B. says:

VOR: I am, and I mean no disrespect to our host, going to disagree with what other posters have been telling you.

Don’t get me wrong thereis some really interesting stuff on the Athletic. It is a reasonably pleasant way to waste a few hours. Occasionally there are must read pieces. But the vast majority is well researched and well written and that is all it is.

There is also no community yet. I am suspicious there never will be.

So a good beginning certainly but brilliant, not close.

As I said…Not as “folksy” as Lowetide has been. Much more buttoned down for sure.

These are pretty serious folks that have a definite idea of what they want sports reporting on their site to be. Good on them. It’s great. From all accounts the business is growing exponentially.

Hopefully as time goes by the writers will be afforded the opportunity to be more narrative and include the personal stories we have all become accustomed to here.

I won’t hold my breath.

39. frjohnk says:

Alot of the numbers we look at are with McDavid and without.

But what about the second line? How are they doing? And how are the bottom 6 doing?

Our second line has been RNH, Lucic and a revolving door of right wingers

RNH and Lucic have played 175 minutes together, RNH has played 20 minutes apart.
    So they have been stapled together as the two mainstays on line 2.

Together
    CF% 51.8%
    GF% 55.6%
    GF/60 of 3.4
    Nuge Pts/60 of 2.73
    Lucic Pts/60 of 2.73

Those are fantastic numbers coming from 2/3 of our 2nd line.

Now if we look at the right wingers that have played with RNH we see this ( all had positive possession numbers)

Strome 66 minutes,
    GF/60 of 3.6,
    Pts/60 of 3.6

Kassian 38 minutes,
    GF60 of 3.1
    Pts/60 of 1.57

Sleppy 34 mins,
    GF60 of 5.8!!!!
    Pts/60 of 5.8!!!

Yamamoto 33mins,
    GF60 of 0
    Pts/60 of 0

All good numbers except Yamamotos, but these are very small sample sizes here, so small that Sleppy and Strome have the same Pts/60 as they do GF/60 as they have gotten points on all the goals scored while on the ice with RNH and Lucic.

And even with some success here and there, the team is still searching for a right wing for the 2nd line.

Sleppy has been and is again hurt.
    Kassian is seen as a better fit by the team in the bottom 6.
    Yamamoto is back in junoir.
    And while the numbers look good on the second line, the team likes Strome centering the 3rd line, even though he is not great in the dot or defensively. So why play him as a center on the 3rd line?

Could be for a few reasons

-I think the Oilers still want to see if Strome is an actual centerman. And if he is, could he possibly replace RNH as 2nd line center because of cap hell?

-Playing Strome in the top 6 means, 2 of Khaira, Malone and Letestu are the bottom 6 centers

-We are almost 20% of the way through the season and with 267 minutes that the bottom 6 have played , they have scored 1 goal ( the goal that bounced off Strome into the net) and have had 9 goals scored against. I think the team sees Strome as bringing more skill to the bottom 6 to hopefully get something going down there and hope that someone else( now JP) can build some chemistry with RNH on the second line.

Its too bad that Sleppy got hurt, just seemed like he was getting traction. Maybe JP will find some success on the second line and the bottom 6 can maybe find a way to get out of neutral. Starting tomorrow? Fingers crossed.

40. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

VOR,

– Thanks VOR: I don’t mean to monopolize the thread with these queries, but its interesting

– The Athletic, it’s got good content. But most of us aren’t on Lowetide to get the “best” content. So yeah, I will join, and probably read good content. Not sure what I’m trying to articulate. Carry on!

41. Johnny Eyetest says:

I won’t join, just to boycott the paywall system.

Be careful people.

42. bendelson says:

Lloyd B.: Not as “folksy” as Lowetide has been

It’s Lowetide at the Newport Folk Festival…

43. VOR says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    VOR,

– The Athletic, it’s got good content.But most of us aren’t on Lowetide to get the “best” content. So yeah, I will join, and probably read good content.Not sure what I’m trying to articulate.Carry on!

From all the launch hype I thought the Athletic model was to free sports journalists from the constrictions of daily time lines and a just the facts approach and to give great bloggers a larger audience and the financial freedom to explore their passions in more depth. In other words it would be a lot more eclectic than the New Yorker but equally driven by narrative and voice. To date that is really not the case. Buttoned down is a great description. It makes the Athletic very hard to bond to and I think you’ve seen that in many of tonight’s comments. The Athletic isn’t exactly inspiring passion.

That said I would encourage you to check it out. Take it for a spin and see what you think. I am sticking with it because I believe it is a well meant attempt to provide better sports journalism. And God knows with a few exceptions, beacons of light like The New Yorker, most sports journalism and writing is way below meh.

44. dustrock says:

VOR: I subscribe to the New Yorker online for almost exactly the same money as the Athletic. There is far less sport specific content. What there is however is interesting, thought provoking, occasionally gutwrenching, and some times mind changing and even transformative. Not to mention that it can be very funny. The New Yorker does narrative like few publications on Earth.

That said I would encourage you to check it out. Take it for a spin and see what you think. I am stickingwith it because I believe it is a well meant attempt to provide better sports journalism. And God knows with a few exceptions, beacons of light like The New Yorker, most sports journalism and writing is way below meh.

Anyway, they’ve got a great group of writers, particularly for the Oilers, and the cost is less than what some people pay at Starbucks in a day, so people complaining about the paywall can just shut your yaps.

It’s not easy generating content and still somehow turning a profit in journalism in 2017. If The Athletic has found a way to do so, good for them.

It’s better than reading the MSM shlubs, that’s for certain.

There’s no community there yet at all, the app is pretty terrible, and I find the general navigation/lack of alerts annoying, but I do think the actual articles are good for the cost.

45. Gerta Rauss says:

bendelson: It’s Lowetide at the Newport Folk Festival…

Ha..!

Lowetide goes electric

46. Gret99zky says:

Back in the day…

LT would start his daily post with, “This is (insert player name)” followed by an interesting tidbit about the player or the team.

Got me hooked every time. Loved it. *sniff*

LT, could you…*sniff*…you know…just for old time sake?

47. VOR says:

dustrock: I think your comment that it’s not Grantland is fair, but man, what a shame about that site.

It’s not easy generating content and still somehow turning a profit in journalism in 2017.If The Athletic has found a way to do so, good for them.

It’s better than reading the MSM shlubs, that’s for certain.

48. Gret99zky says:

VOR,

“We can’t stop here, this is bat country!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

49. OmJo says:

frjohnk,

Good stuff!

Slepyshev when (if?) healthy can be the answer to 2RW that line needs. Small sample sizes be damned.

A 2nd line full of +2.50 pts/60 players could make up for a below average bottom 6 so long as the bottom 6 doesn’t bleed goals against.

It could work.

Puljujarvi brings some extra speed and a shot to that line. He also has some defensive awareness which should help improve those advanced stats as well.

Shame we lost Lander (good for him though! Just bad timing) as he could have really helped JP down in Bakersfield this season.

—–

Damn early game tomorrow, I hate those. Not only do we never win them (seriously… When was the last time we did?) but I never get to watch the whole thing. Hoping JP comes out guns blazing and gets off to a good start.

50. Lloyd B. says:

VOR: I think the best piece of sports writing I have read this year was on NEOlife. It was Jane Metcalfe (sp?) on poop doping. The problem I am having with the Athletic is it comes off like it is all ready too uptown and self important to take a chance on as unique a voice as Ms. Metcalfe (who does Gonzo journalism – which means if you write about poop doping you try poop doping) never mind an article on poop doping.

“Too uptown and self important to take a chance on a unique voice.”

I think this is the crux of the matter.

Our host clearly has a unique approach and voice.

So far at the Atlantic, LT is not writing articles that has garnered such an eclectic, international audience as he has here.

You can put reins on a wild bronc but you may not be able to tame it.

Ryan: I’ve been a member of The Athletic prior to the day the music died.

Don’t I get a footnote! -) #TheDayTheMusicDied #DonNOTRonMcLean

GODOT10 says:
    November 8, 2017 at 5:18 pm
    #TheDayTheMusicDied

52. The Precog JDî says:

Gret99zky: LT, could you…*sniff*…you know…just for old time sake?

Why do I get the feeling that all of your ex’s heaved a collective sigh just now? Both of them?

53. Premonitorial JDî says:

bendelson: It’s Lowetide at the Newport Folk Festival…

But who is Bloomfield here?

54. bendelson says:

Premonitorial JDî: But who is Bloomfield here?

G Backpacker

55. kgo says:

Fuck the Paywall, i’m not signing up for the Athletic I don’t care if it’s $.01 per month.

LT i don’t blame you for signing a deal with the devil, but I doubt this community here will wither and die like the Athletic is counting on…Personality, nostalgia, freedom of expression, freedom of consumption, familiarity, rationality, this place is the mecca of hockey fandom and will never be duplicated….I’ll be checking this URL every day until I die.

56. Premonitorial JDî says:

bendelson,

I feel that we’re selling LT short on talent with this analogy. But then again Dylan sucked, so of course we’re selling him short.

And I think WG is Bloomfield.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

The afternoon game issue with the Oilers is a real thing. Their all-time record is 52-71-15.

Time to get win number 53.

I’m excited to have Jesse in the lineup and coach has said he’ll play in the top 6. Too bad Drake won’t skate until after the road trip is over which means Jokinen is likley still on the 3rd line. With Drake back, we’d have a serviceable 3rd line that could produce. I would think we see the following:

Maroon/McDavid/Dria
    Lucic/Nuge/Puljijarvi
    Jokinen/Strome/Kassian
    Pakarinan/Letestu/Malone

58. OriginalPouzar says:

We have won them 52 times but have lost them many more times.

Number 53, coming up.

59. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

VOR,

-The New Yorker was for many years pre-kid my biggest “indulgence” Long rambling articles that would connect things from 3 or 4 points then bring it all together. A young Malcom Gladwell, Gopnick, Buckley, Remnick, and a bunch I can’t remember names

– The cartoons are part of the genius of that community

– Only problem is/was with the New Yorker is the hours and hours to read through it (not really a problem) As the issues piled up post kids, I had to let it go

– I’d imagine they would have interesting chat section now that it is digital

– A friend sent me an article a few months ago about this chef in NY State who was very mysterious. He knows how much I love the New Yorker, and my current abandonment of it: the article was fascinating, rambling. It was like getting a hit of crack: 30 minutes transported into another place

– Lowetide I’m not comparing to the New Yorker, but it does transport me into a different place

60. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar:

Time to get win number 53.

Maroon/McDavid/Dria
    Lucic/Nuge/Puljijarvi
    Jokinen/Strome/Kassian
    Pakarinan/Letestu/Malone

– a Caggs-Strome-Sleppy 3rd line has lot of merit

– 3 guys all playing for contracts, all shown flashes of talent. That could be a good line IMO

– Some speed, some hitting, good talent (and currently cheap)

61. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Tyler Benson has a goal tonight.

Finished with 2.

62. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Finished with 2.

Yup, both PP goals and both beauties (one a one-timer off the half-boards and the other a dangle inside off the half boards with a nice snipe).

Great night in the WHL for our prospects (except Skinner).

63. OriginalPouzar says:

I am so done with the constant line blending and I think so is the coach – I think that its part of the reason why we’ve had a slow start to the season – absolutely no chance to find a rhythm.

It was partially necessitated out of poor play and injury but I think coach went too far and he was blending things up multiple times/game

There are three things that I think the coach has found that work and that he should (and will) build around:

1) First line of Maroon/McDavid/Drai – Yes, I know many/most think that McDavid and Drai should be split but we are getting scoring from both of the top two lines and this first line simply works

2) 2nd line combo of Lucic/Nuge

3) 3rd line center of Strome

We/coach needs to find a full time 2RW and adequate wingers for Strome.

I’m hopeful that Jesse can be the 2RW and we should know within the next few weeks.

I’m confidant that Drake and Slep would be great 3rd line wingers for Strome and that makes perfect sense to me if Jesse can work as 2RW and we don’t need to bump one of Drake or Slep up.

If the above works, that means Kassian can play 4th line with Letestu which actually creates great depth throughout the lineup.

A healthy roster looks great to me.

A healthy roster is also likely a pipedream, unfortunately.