G16 2017-18: Oilers at Rangers

The Edmonton Oilers will try to win their third game in a row today in New York against the Rangers. They’ll do it with Jesse Puljujarvi playing, possibly on the second line with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Milan Lucic. The home team is on a helluva run after a slow start, 7-2-1 in their last 10 and five wins in a row. That’s what Edmonton needs to do, perhaps it’s already begun.

The Rangers have some of the same problems that have plagued Edmonton (slow boots, inconsistent blue and a star goalie trying to find his rhythm) but both teams appear to have turned the corner. Should be a fun game.

THE ATHLETIC

The special Lowetide offer is here. Among the items on the menu today are:

I’ll have the Oilers No. 3 prospect up either later today or tomorrow. Hope you are enjoying your experience, please share and pass along your thoughts (they are appreciated).

PIKES PEAK, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in November 2015: 2-3-0, goal differential -3
  • Oilers in November 2016: 2-2-1, goal differential -3
  • Oilers in November 2017: 3-2-0, goal differential 0

Game Six in 2015-16 was a loss to LAK courtesy a very late goal by Nick Shore. In 2016-17, it was a 3-2 loss to the Dallas Stars. This year’s model is tracking slightly ahead of the previous two seasons and have a chance  to create even more of a gap. A win today and we can begin talking about things longer term again.

AFTER 15, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 5-10-0, goal differential -8
  • Oilers 16-17: 9-5-1, goal differential +6
  • Oilers 17-18: 6-8-1, goal differential -11

G15 in 2015-16 was a 4-3 win over Anaheim, badly needed that season too. Last season it was a 3-1 loss to the NY Rangers. The goal differential remains a concern for this year’s model, part of that is the power play/penalty kill, need to clean that up. If they do, we’ll see some 4-1 scores for Edmonton.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM NOVEMBER

• At home to: Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Detroit (Expected: 2-1-0) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • On the road to: NYI, New Jersey, NYR, Washington (Expected: 1-2-1) (Actual: 2-0-0)
  • At home to: Vegas, St. Louis (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual: 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Arizona, Toronto (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-7-2, 16 points in 16 games
  • Current results: 3-2-0, six points in five games

This has been a weird month, but different from the last weird month (October). Edmonton isn’t getting the puck possession and the volume shooters, but they are getting the goaltending. The penalty kill is improving but the power play is a mess.

JESSE PULJUJARVI!

The young man has a great opportunity here, joins a line (Lucic-Nuge) that is having a good run. I’ve mentioned this in the past but to my eye Gerry Fleming’s recalls seem to hit the ground running when they arrive. That isn’t always the case, although it also requires the NHL coach putting the new hire in a position to succeed. I think the RNH trio is a great chance for JP, who should get the rest of the road trip and maybe the Vegas game to shine.

TRACERS

ALL of my O-pee-chee cards were sorted in the same order: C-L-R lines one through three, then two extra forwards, top two pairings, left defense and right defense, extra defenseman, starting goalie, backup goalie. This meant the Rangers were led by this Jean Ratelle card, then Vic Hadfield, then Gilbert.

Problem. My Mom knew this (I told her, stupid stupid stupid) and thought Rod Gilbert was very handsome. So, and this happened hundreds of times, she would slide “Rod the Mod” to the front of the Rangers cards, and I’d have to change it back. Hundreds of times. I’d see it say “MOM!” and she’d laugh. After a time, we didn’t even talk about it, just changed the cards back and forth. When I moved away, she threw the entire set out (along with 1970 and 1972), but I always wondered if she kept Rod Gilbert. Moms.

THE NUGE

His offensive instincts appear to have been awakened this season and that’s a very good thing. He and Milan Lucic are contributing 5×5, it’s an emerging story. What hasn’t emerged is a RW to go with this line. Edmonton has two first-round selections (Jesse Puljujarvi and Kailer Yamamoto) who represent the future, possibly not the “now” for this team. If the JP recall doesn’t result in offence, expect a trade. Frank Vatrano? Don’t know. Fast train with some offensive acumen, that’s the ticket. I’m pleased they are giving young Puljujarvi a chance, hope it lasts 1,000 games and then 500 more.

397 Responses to "G16 2017-18: Oilers at Rangers"

Newer Comments »
  1. 106 and 106 says:

I bit the bullet and joined the Atlantic (thanks for extending the offer Lowetide!!!) and know there were a few questions on the last thread about the Winter Prospect Countdown:

“Allan (Lowetide) Mitchell is bringing his annual ranking of the top 20 Edmonton Oilers prospects exclusively to The Athletic. He has been publishing the list for a decade and today kicks off the series with a new No. 1 on his list. ”

****

The future is bright on Right Wing, just not this year.

2. flyfish1168 says:

If JP does provide offence why would you expect a trade for a RW. Rattie is doing well and we own him. No need to loss assets yet. JMHO

3. meanashell11 says:

I wanted to go to this game but the tickets are expensive! Every ticket is at least double what it costs at Barclays or the Rock.

I hope they can continue but the early start is a curse. At least they’ve been on the east coast for almost a week, should be a bit accustomed.

Go Oilers!

4. frjohnk says:

I mentioned in last nights thread that we are almost at the 20% mark of the season and the bottom 6 have scored 1 goal at 5 on 5

Bottom 6 this year
    GF% 10%
    0.22 GF/60
    2.02 GA/60

These guys have been stuck in reverse. Cant count on Drai, McDavid and RNH to carry the offense all year. The bottom 6 need to get something done

5. leadfarmer says:

I cant believe JP with his 1 g is what this team needs right now, and I can’t imagine he’s fixed the issues that got him sent down in the first place. We always talk about the Red wings overripening model but who wants to wait until Christmas to open their presents.

6. Woodguy v2.0 says:

This is Rod Gilbert

Awesome.

GRET99ZKY will be happy. I loved that he asked for that.

Good memories.

I remember when Hbomb and a couple of others created the “Inebriated Oilers Fans’ blog. They thought they’d like to post with more vulgarity that was generally accepted at your blog so started one to use as a “vent’

I had one title post there and started in the LT tradition of “This is “X””

Mine was: (it was game night vs DET)

“This is Todd Bertuzzi. He is a douchebag. Just look at his uncombed hair for his NHL picture this year. Only a douchebag does that”……and then I went on to say Holland was over rated and DET was going to hit their own decade of darkness after Datsyuk and Z left.

Ha!

Good times.

Thanks for that LT.

7. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk:

Bottom 6 this year
    GF% 10%
    0.22 GF/60
    2.02 GA/60

These guys have been stuck in reverse.Cant count on Drai, McDavid and RNH to carry the offense all year.The bottom 6 need to get something done

I’m with you Padre.

Been riffing on it myself and your posts on twitter were perfect.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, the Oilers have a terrible record through out history in afternoon games – something like 52-75-15 (give or take).

This also means they have won 50 plus afternoon games in history.

Time to add another notch.

9. Brantford Boy says:

leadfarmer,

+1… I hope someone sat down with him and told him not to “F” this opportunity up… I’m not optimistic at all, I really hope I’m wrong… Go Oilers!

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Given how great that 2nd line played last game when Kass replaced the injured Slep, I’d prefer to keep Kass there and have JP play with Strome on the 3rd line but coach said Jesse is going to be in the top 6 and I’m fine with that.

Got to assume we’ll see the following:

Maroon/McDavid/Drai
    Lucic/Nuge/Jesse
    Jokinen/Strome/Kass

Really would like to have Drake or Slep as 3LW and I think that will name a great third line – in time, in time.

11. OriginalPouzar says:

How awesome will it be for Jesse to be in on 2 goals for that 2nd line this afternoon – let it be so.

Even if he gets off to a slow start, I’m confident that coach is done blending the lines each and every game (or every period) and will give Jesse a stretch of games on that 2nd line to find his groove.

We know he’s going to keep that 1st line together and we know that he is going to keep Lucic and Nuge together (they’ve played like 90% of the season together) – hopefully Jesse gets a good 4-5 games to find his chemistry with Nuge and Lucic – those two are just finding it together now.

Go Oilers!

12. Woodguy v2.0 says:

NYR have played only 17 games, but for them its already a tale of two seasons.

Oct 5 – Oct 25
    10gp 1-7-2 4pts
    5v5
    45% CF
    40%GF
    .908 SV%
    6.28 SH%
    971 PDO
    Special teams net +1 goals (8-7)

Oct 26 – Nov 10
    7gp 6-1-0 12pts
    5v5
    48% CF
    51.5% GF
    .913 SV%
    9.34 SH%
    1006 PDO
    Special teams net +4 goals (6-2)

A couple more pucks go in 5v5 and the PK stiffens up and all of a sudden they go from last in the Metropolitan to within a game of the last wildcard spot.

When it’s this early in the season teams can still recover.

Hopefully EDM takes a page out of their recovery book.

I think the goaltending and PK have recovered, EDM just needs the PP to start firing and someone, anyone in the bottom 6 to pot a couple goals.

Also,

At one point deep into last season NYR were shooting ~9.3% and there were all the usual warnings about an impending PDO crash.

Out of curiosity I figured out NYR’s “Expected PDO”. It’s a very rough method of taking the shots of every player and giving those shots their “career SH%” instead of the SH% that they had that year.
    Then for the other side of the equation, you give the team the goalie’s career SV% and see what pops out.

Note: I used the last 4 years of data for “career” SH% and SV%. Some player’s “career” data is long and the older the data, the less relevant it is today.

Similar to the McDavid-Talbot combo having a “baseline” PDO of 1030, NYR had a baseline PDO of about 1010.

They were still outperforming the 1010 (finished the season with 8.85SH% and 1012 PDO) but I found it interesting that NYR had hired, almost exclusively, high career SH% players to fill out their bottom 6.

If we consider Zuccarello, Nash, Krieder, Miller, Hayes, Stepan and Zibanejad their “top 6” (yes I know that’s 7 players) then their “bottom 6 players” over the season were: Pirri, Grabner, Fast, Vessey, Buchnevich, Lindberg and Puempel.

Here’s their career SH%:
    Pirri 12.5%
    Grabner 12.7%
    Fast 11.3%
    Vesey 13.5% (was rookie)
    Buchnevich 15.6% (was rookie, only 58 game sample)
    Lindberg 11.6%
    Puempel 11.9%

Cool eh?

I love this idea in theory and think more teams should adopt it.

Why muck and grind when you can score?

I think the teams that should adopt this are particularly the teams with very strong goaltending. (like EDM)

These players are generally bottom 6 because they are either young or don’t hockey well enough to make it into the top 6 of a team.

You are going to trade chances with these types of players on the ice but you have loaded dice because of your high SV% goalie and high SH% forwards.

It didn’t work out for everyone on the Rags though:

Here’s the GF% of those players last year:
    Pirri 43%
    Grabner 58.9%
    Fast 51.6%
    Vesey 42.5%
    Buchnevich 53.5%
    Lindberg 51%
    Puempel 40%

It seems that NYR management was paying attention to this because the only player with the sub 50% GF from last year that is still on the team is Vesey and he was prized college FA pick up and rookie.

Lindberg was lost to VGK in the expansion draft where he’s shooting 22% and has a 63.6%GF because of course he is. Hehe.

Anyhow, if we contrast this bottom 6 with EDM’s current bottom 6 we see:

Career SH% (last 4 years)
    Strome 8.1%
    Kassian 10.6%
    Letestu 7.1%
    Caggiula 7.4%
    Jokinen 7.8%
    Pakarinen 6.5%
    Malone 5%
    Khaira 3.5%

Quite the difference eh?

Here’s EDM’s 4 centers’ this year 5v5 GF%:

McDavid 56.5% (13-10)
    RNH 52.6% (10-9)
    Strome (away from 93 & 97)) 16.7% (1-5)
    Letestu 0% (0-5)

The 1-10 beating that the bottom 6 has endured puts even more pressure on the top 6 to outscore. As good as they are, they can’t outscore that.

Need some shooting talent infusion and pronto.

Now that I’ve written this the bottom 6 will score 2 in a one goal win for EDM.

I hope they make it 3 in a row.

GOILERS!!!
    *clap,clap*

13. Woogie63 says:

Memories come rushing back as I look at that Gilbert card.

I love that O-pee-Chee series, I collected them all as well. Years after I had my own family my mom said she had boxed some of my childhood things, amongst all the stuff was this hockey card set which was a very good day. What made the day better was a 10 inch trophy declaring me as the Top Defensemen, and a picture of my old friend and defense partner, who as I had told my children had a career as a defenseman in the NHL. One of dad’s long story that was proven correct ….

14. OriginalPouzar says:

We have two open spots in the top 6 next season.

These are currently occupied by Maroon (who I think will be let go) and Puljijarvi.

The hope is that 2 of Benson, Puljijarvi and Yamamoto can stop in and provide production and value contracts in the top 6 next season.

Given lost development time, I would assume that Benson will need some AHL time and Kailer might as well.

Safin and Maksimov are high ceiling prospects but are at least 2-3 years away (if ever).

I think the college kids are a ways away as well.

15. Westchester Oil says:

meanashell11:

Go Oilers!

When I looked at ticket prices, comparable seats in the upper sections were roughly $50 for Barclays Center, $75 for the Prudential Center and $175 for MSG.

I remember buying decent seats at MSG in 2004 from a scalper for $20 (face value $40).

16. OriginalPouzar says:

frjohnk:

Bottom 6 this year
    GF% 10%
    0.22 GF/60
    2.02 GA/60

I believe this is due almost entirely to injury. When healthy, we could have the following third line which I think can provide adequate tertiary scoring:

Caggulia/Strome/Slepyshev

17. pts2pndr says:

leadfarmer,

What got him sent down was the ice time given to the new bright and shiny toy! Surfamoto should have been sent back to junior off his Penticton tournament. In my opinion Yamamoto’s staying with the club caused agreat rift with the other players that off their performance in last years playoffs were more desreving of the opportunity! Leadership it is a thing!

18. Brantford Boy says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Just curious, who covered ‘This is Kassian’? I’m sure douchebag was the nicest word used for the hit on Gagner… funny the things we chose to forget after a couple fights, several called back goals and a good playoff run… I’m not any different though, I really like the player, glad he’s with us now…

19. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: Here’s EDM’s 4 centers’ this year 5v5 GF%:

McDavid 56.5% (13-10)
    RNH 52.6% (10-9)
    Strome (away from RNH) 28.5% (2-5)
    Letestu 0% (0-5)

The 2-10 beating that the bottom 6 has endured puts even more pressure on the top 6 to outscore. As good as they are, they can’t outscore that.

When the bottom 6 have been on the ice ( basically McDavid and RNH off the ice) they have scored a total of 1 goal.

Over 15 games, this is an average of almost 18 minutes per game with goose eggs every game, except 1 game in which Strome had the puck bounce off him into the opposing net.

This will eventuallly regress to the mean. But so far, Woof!

20. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: I’m with you Padre.

Been riffing on it myself and your posts on twitter were perfect.

thanks

21. Gret99zky says:

Bless you, LT.

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

If you subscribe to The Athletic, I strongly recommend that you add Justin Bourne to your favorite author list.

Bourne is the son of NHLer Bob Bourne and played in the AHL until an injury took his career.

He was also an assistant coach for the Toronto Marlies of the AHL.

He has great insight and is a great source for “what hockey people actually think” and whether or not the cliches about players are true. ie) good in the room is a big deal because players spend so much time together etc.

Anyhow, he and Kent Wilson had a conversation about the value of tough guys and I found it fascinating: https://theathletic.com/150291/2017/11/08/bourne-and-wilson-a-conversation-on-the-value-of-having-a-tough-guy/

23. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: 1 goal of the 2 on ice goals Strome had away from RNH was when Strome got out of the penalty box and passed the puck to McDavid in the neutral zone and McDavid scored.

This will eventuallly regress to the mean.But so far, Woof!

Yeah, when I saw you had 1 goal and I went back and found the 1GF w/ 97 on the ice.

I had just originally used his “away from 93” data.

Changed.

Thanks.

24. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Brantford Boy:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Just curious, who covered ‘This is Kassian’?I’m sure douchebag was the nicest word used for the hit on Gagner… funny the things we chose to forget after a couple fights, several called back goals and a good playoff run… I’m not any different though, I really like the player, glad he’s with us now…

That happened well after the other blog shut down.

It only ran for part of a season and I think it was during the 11/12 season.

25. Soup Fascist says:

Woogie63:
    Memories come rushing back as I look at that Gilbert card.

I love that O-pee-Chee series, I collected them all as well.Years after I had my own family my mom said she had boxed some of my childhood things, amongst all the stuff was this hockey card set which was a very good day.What made the day better was a 10 inch trophy declaring me as the Top Defensemen, and a picture of my old friend and defense partner, who as I had told my children had a career as a defenseman in the NHL.One of dad’s long story that was proven correct ….

OK, I will bite …. and that defenceman turned out to be …..???

26. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: I believe this is due almost entirely to injury.When healthy, we could have the following third line which I think can provide adequate tertiary scoring:

Caggulia/Strome/Slepyshev

I think alot of it is luck. The bottom 6 are outshooting the oppostion. Very poor shooting %. Its basically 0% as the only goal scored when McDavid and RNH have been off the ice bounced off Strome into the net.

I have hope for those 3. They have shown some flashes of skill. But injury, consistency are issues with these 3 right now.

27. J-Bo says:

I also took the leap and subscribed to the Athletic through your link LT. For me, I’m not 100% convinced on it yet. I am an Oilers fan first and foremost, them a hockey fan, and that is where my sports fandom ends. The amount of content that interest me so far isn’t enough for me to consider it true value for dollars spent. They need more Oilers related content for a guy like me. I have really enjoyed Willis’s work there though as it has more storytelling and depth as well as your prospects series of course. I might suggest greater depth on your articles like the Peter Chiarelli trades one though. It was good but There wasn’t the depth of commentary that I wanted in the article. Overall LT keep up the great work, I don’t miss your morning blog here and am now reading all your athletic articles!

28. Pouzar says:

flyfish1168:

29. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    I cant believe JP with his 1 g is what this team needs right now, and I can’t imagine he’s fixed the issues that got him sent down in the first place.We always talk about the Red wings overripening model but who wants to wait until Christmas to open their presents.

Was Draisaitl and his 1 AHL goal what EDM needed in 15/16?

I think this kid is the goods and he’s been in my top 4 RW since camp.

Not saying he’ll have a 15/16 Drai year, but I expect him to be ready for the NHL.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

This will eventuallly regress to the mean.But so far, Woof!

If we were healthy, the following 3rd line would be just fine, in my opinion – Caggulia/Strome/Slep

The Jokinen bet has so far not paid off and Khaira has not taken a step forward – these things have led to the 3rd line looking more like a 4th line and not helping the offence at all (along with the 2RW being a revolving door and also serving to weaken the 3rd line).

A guy like Puljijarvi stepping up in the top 6 and/or Slepy/Caggulia getting healthy would solve the tertiary scoring issues.

31. greenshifter says:

Talbot will have to be 1st star for them to win today…..again. I hope I’m wrong but if they start game slow,again, it will be a long afternoon.

32. frjohnk says:

Pouzar: In his draft year the knock on Rattie was his skating. Not sure how it’s progressed thus far but we can’t afford another slow skater in this lineup.

He might be in the Lander camp. Very good in the AHL, but his game will have trouble transitioning to the NHL.

33. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: Constant injuries have led to the actual legit 3rd line players (such as Strome) playing with middling NHLers/AHL tweeners in Malone, Khaira, etc.

Actually Strome has played with
    Malone 2:07
    Khaira 2:49

Jokinen 76 minutes 1 GF
    Cagguila 57 minutes 1 GF
    Sleppy 21 minutes 0 GF

Strome’s numbers are good with RNH (66 minutes) and Lucic
    GF/ 60 of 3.6

But Strome out of the bottom 6, plus injuries really depletes the bottom 6 of skill.

34. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Caggulia/Strome/Slepyshev

I agree that’s the best of the rest.

However their 7.4%, 8.1% and 6.8% SH% make me wonder if they can be adequate.

91 and 56 have pretty small career samples sizes and that might not be their long term SH%.

Neither has played full time with skill, although 91 has had more skill time than 56.

We know that who you play with matters a ton in terms of results so maybe 91 and 56 are more than what we’ve seen so far. I like 56’s shot and think with skill he’s not a sub 7%, might even be a 10%.

The question is: can those 3 provide the skill they need to score together?

I don’t know.

35. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I wonder if anyone has done an analysis for tipped in goals and maybe goals from one timed shots. Seems like those are two skills that other teams are a lot better than us at. When is the last time you remember an Oiler shot going wide and getting directed into the net deliberately?

I hope JP has been working on those skills. Seems like it would be an easy place to set himself apart from the other guys

36. SwedishPoster says:

Game sixteen and the 16th installment of “SwedishPoster’s Swedish game songs”. This will be a quick one as I’m having an afternoon beer on one of Stockholms classic rock bars with the wife on our way to dinner with the inlaws. Oilers have won two straight but more in the hang on for dear life fashion, it’s not exactly been Music! yet. So tonight I give you bob hund, one of Sweden’s greatest Rock bands, with the song “Istället för musik förvirring” which translate to “Instead of music confusion”. Make sense right. Great band, great song. Here goes :

37. Melvis says:

Favorite sports writers?

That old man, Roger Angell.

W.P. Kinsella…for the mysticism.

38. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

I wonder if anyone has done an analysis for tipped in goals and maybe goals from one timed shots.Seems like those are two skills that other teams are a lot better than us at.When is the last time you remember an Oiler shot going wide and getting directed into the net deliberately?

I hope JP has been working on those skills.Seems like it would be an easy place to set himself apart from the other guys

Pretty sure you can get that data, but I’m not sure where.

Agree that’s important stuff.

I’ll put it on the list.

39. Brantford Boy says:

Woodguy v2.0: Was Draisaitl and his 1 AHL goal what EDM needed in 15/16?

I think this kid is the goods and he’s been in my top 4 RW since camp.

Ok, ok… you’ve convinced me… I’m lighting candles…

40. OriginalPouzar says:

frjohnk: Actually Strome has played with
    Malone 2:07
    Khaira 2:49

Jokinen 76 minutes 1 GF
    Cagguila 57 minutes 1 GF
    Sleppy 21 minutes 0 GF

Strome’s numbers are good with RNH (66 minutes) and Lucic
    GF/ 60 of 3.6

Thank you for those numbers.

Strome has been used all over the place and with no consistency of wingers.

If McLellan keeps him as the 3C and, hopefully, with decent wingers once we get healthy (i.e. Drake and Slep), I think we will have a good bottom 6 line there.

41. OriginalPouzar says:

I am so done with the constant line blending and I think so is the coach – I think that its part of the reason why we’ve had a slow start to the season – absolutely no chance to find a rhythm.

It was partially necessitated out of poor play and injury but I think coach went too far and he was blending things up multiple times/game

There are three things that I think the coach has found that work and that he should (and will) build around:

1) First line of Maroon/McDavid/Drai – Yes, I know many/most think that McDavid and Drai should be split but we are getting scoring from both of the top two lines and this first line simply works

2) 2nd line combo of Lucic/Nuge

3) 3rd line center of Strome

We/coach needs to find a full time 2RW and adequate wingers for Strome.

I’m hopeful that Jesse can be the 2RW and we should know within the next few weeks.

I’m confidant that Drake and Slep would be great 3rd line wingers for Strome and that makes perfect sense to me if Jesse can work as 2RW and we don’t need to bump one of Drake or Slep up.

If the above works, that means Kassian can play 4th line with Letestu which actually creates great depth throughout the lineup.

A healthy roster looks great to me.

A healthy roster is also likely a pipedream, unfortunately.

42. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: The question is: can those 3 provide the skill they need to score together?

My vote is ‘yes’ if TMc leaves them the **** alone so they can gel. That line has plenty of speed and forechecking ability to wreak havoc and create some decent scoring chances. Hell that trio looks like the KLM line compared to what TMc trotted out last game /noDisrespectIntended

43. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    OriginalPouzar,

Caggulia/Strome/Slepyshev

I agree that’s the best of the rest.

However their 7.4%, 8.1% and 6.8% SH% make me wonder if they can be adequate.

The question is: can those 3 provide the skill they need to score together?

I don’t know.

With that said, I have them together on a third line in a tertiary scoring role. They each have a different skill set part of which should lead to at least some offensive production – on a third line, is there any more than we can ask for along with defensive responsibility which I think we can also get from this young line.

44. Scungilli Slushy says:

pts2pndr:
    leadfarmer,

I agree that management does have to make decisions that are fair (at least over time) and must operate in a way to keep morale.

One difference in this regime is that playing time goes to those that get it done as the coach and Gm see it, no gifted positions. That is completely fair, a big change for the better. Yama was up too long but also showed the most potential for offense, which didn’t happen.

I’ve also noticed this regime gives players games on roster I think for salary getting paid. Yama’s year is going to be more comfortable with a couple of NHL paychecks in his pocket. Eases the pain of riding buses and makes it easier on his family financially.

I’ve noticed older vet players getting lots of LTIR. Nice to rehab with NHL resources and staff taking care of you. I these things as classy by the team.

45. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar: es, the Oilers have a terrible record through out history in afternoon games – something like 52-75-15 (give or take).

With memories of this team going back to the MacT pathos of having: “The coach that only remains in Edmonton because everyone else wants to offer him an NHL job”; the last 20-25 games all feel like losses.

46. 106 and 106 says:

@Woodguy

“Cool eh?”

This is very cool, thanks for doing the digging.

47. hunter1909 says:

leadfarmer: I cant believe JP with his 1 g is what this team needs right now, and I can’t imagine he’s fixed the issues that got him sent down in the first place.

Since when have you had managements ear?

Seriously, anything is better than Yamamoto’s impression of an NHL clueless 11 year old each time anyone went after him.

48. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Brantford Boy: Ok, ok… you’ve convinced me… I’m lighting candles…

Offering burnt flesh and whiskey to The Hockey Gords is never a bad idea as well.

49. hunter1909 says:

It’s an important afternoon game.

Oilers are playing at The Garden against a somewhat desperate Ranger team.

Oilers almost always play badly during afternoon games.

Prediction: Oilers will win today’s game.

50. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy v2.0: Offering burnt flesh and whisky to The Hockey Gords is never a bad idea as well.

Fixed.

51. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Sure, fair enough – none of those three are proven offensive NHL players, in particular Caggulia and Slepyshev.

That’s pretty much the way I see it too.

52. Woodguy v2.0 says:

hunter1909: Fixed.

If you prefer gasoline to the sweet taste of angel tears that’s entirely your choice.

53. leadfarmer says:

hunter1909: Since when have you had managements ear?

That’s why I said, doesn’t matter how well Yamamoto does in training camp just send him back. He’s not ready.
    Just because you made one mistake doesn’t mean you should make another. Yamamoto wasn’t ready and JP isn’t ready. I don’t get why one is tied to the other. The options aren’t either Yamamoto or JP. We got enough guys who can’t put the puck in the net.

54. VOR says:

Ortona, Italy is a very beautiful place. It is this classic Italian village hanging over the gorgeous blue Adriatic. It’s harbour is like something out of a movie. The food is wonderful, the wine astonishing. Better yet the villagers love Canadians. If you ever get the chance you should really go.

By the way nearly anyone can direct you to the Moro River Canadian War Cemetary.

There are 1363 Canadians buried there. Despite being thousands of miles from Canada it is the most wonderfully maintained Cemetary you will ever see. That is thanks to the people of Ortona. They provide this service because a number of those buried at Moro River died in the Christmas of 1944 while liberating Ortona from German occupation. Liberation makes it sound so easy. It was vicious house to house and hand to hand combat. The people of Ortona swore never to forget their liberators. And they haven’t.

Sadly the same thing can not be said of Canadians.

Lest we forget.

55. OriginalPouzar says:

We know he has had a severe lack of offensive talent to play with which is indeed a factor. We also know that, from his coach, he has been a driver offensively and has been creating scoring chances consistently.

We also know, from our GM and the Condor’s coach, that he’s been asked to work on certain things in the AHL – angles, gaps, stops and starts, etc. – and that he has indeed done so and progressed in those areas.

Management and Fleming both think he’s ready so I’m not sure how the social media fan-base can honestly say he’s not simply based on box-cats.

56. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0: Was Draisaitl and his 1 AHL goal what EDM needed in 15/16?

I think this kid is the goods and he’s been in my top 4 RW since camp.

I think Draisatl is more of an exception than the rule. Draisatl is Draisatl and JP is JP. Biggest mistake we can make is take one players development curve and apply it to another. I think JP is going to have a great career. I think a player should be able to have time to develop. We always talk about the Detroit model and how they continue to develop good players.We are desperate for a goal scorer. I don’t think that pressure should be placed on a rookie. But since Chia built a team for 2005 he is getting thrown in because well at least he can skate.

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

The Oilers are coached to be a volume shooting team.** Which means they are coach to shoot at the first opportunity, and crash the net for rebounds. Passing off the goalies pads is preferable to passing across the lane for a shot. The intent of volume shooting is to break down the defensive structure, but the opposition is collapsing the defense and retaining their structure. McLellan’s one pitch strategy is failing unless elite talent is on the ice.

Passing off the boards behind the net and waiting for forwards to get into position for tips are not signatures of a volume shooting team.

**McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nugent-Hopkins don’t really follow the rules of volume shooting.

58. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: It seems fans think that Puljijarvi “isn’t ready” but it seems they are basing that on looking at his AHL box-cars in isolation.

Define “ready”. Seriously. If you don’t we are pissing against the wind.

59. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar,

Well at some point the box cats have to move. If this team had a strong bottom 6 that would be one thing. We don’t. Pressure is going to be on him

60. leadfarmer says:

godot10,

You can be a volume shooting team and tip the puck. The guy screening the goalie on the pp can tip the puck. He just doesn’t have the ability to.

61. OmJo says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Filling the bottom 6 with high shooting percentage players and hoping they’ll continue to produce near the level they always have seems, to me at least, like a better bet than filling it with unproven AHL talent and hoping they’ll exceed past performances.

Too many experiments and you’re left with a bottom six that has one (1!) 5v5 goal heading into game 16 of the season.

62. Chachi says:

leadfarmer:
    OriginalPouzar,

Well at some point the box cats have to move.

Not if the cats in the box are already dead.

63. Pouzar says:

leadfarmer:
    OriginalPouzar,

Well at some point the box cats have to move.If this team had a strong bottom 6 that would be one thing.We don’t.Pressure is going to be on him

I can’t believe I am saying this but have you read Gregor’s article?
    History is not on the side of JP being a meaningful top 6 producer.
    That’s why we have to define “ready” and once we do, figure out what path is best for the kid’s development.

My take? I think he is good enough defensively to take a regular NHL shift however depending on him to be a material Top 6 producer is optimistic.

64. Chachi says:

godot10: The Oilers are coached to be a volume shooting team.**Which means they are coach to shoot at the first opportunity, and crash the net for rebounds.Passing off the goalies pads is preferable to passing across the lane for a shot.The intent of volume shooting is to break down the defensive structure, but the opposition is collapsing the defense and retaining their structure.McLellan’s one pitch strategy is failing unless elite talent is on the ice.

This is of course, nonsense. McLellan’s teams in San Jose were fantastic at tipping pucks.

65. Scungilli Slushy says:

frjohnk: Has a good shot, but because his skating is not great, there will be less time and space for him at the NHL to get his shot off.

He might be in the Lander camp.Very good in the AHL, but his game will have trouble transitioning to the NHL.

Slow boots for me only works if it’s two way first line offense. Otherwise I see it as a net loss especially when space disappears in trapping and tight checking and slow boots can’t separate, can’t forecheck effectively. Unless Ty has revolutionized his game I don’t see a help. JP was a forechecking demon in the clips posted around town.

66. leadfarmer says:

Chachi: Not if the cats in the box are already dead.

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!

67. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar,

Yeah it’s in that whole line of thinking that was here a couple years ago. Elite players are elite early. Except for all the ones who aren’t.

68. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Chachi: Not if the cats in the box are already dead.

GM Schrodinger thinks his bottom 6 cat is alive as long as no one looks at.

69. Chachi says:

leadfarmer:
    Pouzar,

Yeah it’s in that whole line of thinking that was here a couple years ago.Elite players are elite early.Except for all the ones who aren’t.

Yup. If you want to win a bunch of bets always bet against kids becoming successful in the NHL. The “I told you so’s” will keep your soulless husk of a body warm at night. Warning, may also lead to unfortunate comparisons of players to Joe Colborne.

70. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: GM Schrodinger thinks his bottom 6 cat is alive as long as no one looks at.

Eventually the smell is going to tip people off.

One item I’m interested in: Jussi Jokinen’s handling. I thought (and believe many who post here) that was an astute addition. It hasn’t worked out at all really, and one wonders how long Edmonton will run with Jokinen in the lineup. I like him plenty as a player, he’s smart as can be, but is unable to get to places in a timely manner. How long should the Oilers wait?

72. Bag of Pucks says:

Hockey cards. Love the story LT. Bet you wish you had that set now.

Given how easy it is to buy a complete set now, I suspect some of the younger readers don’t appreciate how difficult it was to compile a complete set back then when you could only buy individual packs.

First fight I ever saw on the schoolyard was over hockey cards. These twin brothers and another kid had been trying for months to compile a complete set. They were just a handful of cards away and unbeknownst to the twins, their partner traded all their doubles/triples etc. for those few missing cards. When the brothers found out, they were livid!

I rolled up to the playground that morning to see hands flying over what seemed to be a massive overpay for Bill Barber, Gilles Gilbert, and Jerry ‘King Kong’ Korab. Entertaining way to start the day.

Rod Gilbert. Joe Namath. Oscar Robertson. NY had some iconic athletes in the early 70s.

73. Pouzar says:

He makes Matt Hendricks look like Gaétan Boucher.

74. Pouzar says:

Bob Stauffer‏Verified account
    @Bob_Stauffer

Today is the Oilers 16th game. Puljujarvi will be RNH’s 7th RW this season: Yamamoto, Kassian, Slepyshev, Strome, Letestu, Caggiula

75. leadfarmer says:

Time is past. I know people are expecting regression to the meat, but the meat is moving for some of these guys. It’s a whole new game out there. These slow boots just can’t get the puck into the good scoring areas anymore so they will shoot from lesser spots

76. OmJo says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

NHLs website has some stats on team and player shot type.

Shots deflected: 4
    Goals deflected: 1

Shots tipped: 34
    Goals tipped: 3

77. jimmers2 says:

Pouzar : 7 RW already for RNH? Good gord. He is a patient man.

At least the RNH-Lucic pair seems to have gelled. Hoping so anyway.

78. JimmyV1965 says:

leadfarmer: That’s why I said, doesn’t matter how well Yamamoto does in training camp just send him back.He’s not ready.
    Just because you made one mistake doesn’t mean you should make another.Yamamoto wasn’t ready and JP isn’t ready.I don’t get why one is tied to the other.The options aren’t either Yamamoto or JP. We got enough guys who can’t put the puck in the net.

Agree 100%. Just hope it all works out. It’s certainly not a realistic expectation, but who knows. I just hope he doesn’t have to be sent down for a third time, and if he does, it doesn’t hurt his development.

79. Scungilli Slushy says:

Pouzar: I can’t believe I am saying this but have you read Gregor’s article?
    History is not on the side of JP being a meaningful top 6 producer.

I think this statement needs more context. Meaningful? Do you mean elite? It is unlikely he’ll produce like Laine or Matthews, but given his age and skillset it is very likely he’ll be a quality productive two way top 6 player that remains affordable, which is the most important thing looking ahead with three heavy contracts (Lucic) long term.

It’s the role players that are lacking and what will put them (and every other contending team) over the top. I hope the cap jumps a bit so they can keep an extra player that doesn’t seem likely now.

80. Pescador says:

jimmers2:
    Pouzar : 7 RW already for RNH? Good gord.He is a patient man.

At least the RNH-Lucic pair seems to have gelled.Hoping so anyway.

Lucic is lucky to have him for a Center

81. Pouzar says:

Lines 3 and 4 total points:

EDM 11
    NYR 43

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Interesting to hear The Hip being played in a US arena.

83. Melvis says:

Chachi,

Allie happens to be sitting astride this keyboard. He is not amused.

The translation is a bit awkward but…&*^$%#… Chachi in box under…&#@*^$%…something, something.

84. OmJo says:

When you play the Rangers you have to beat not just Lundqvist, but the 5 other goaltenders on the ice with him.

Grr.

85. Pouzar says:

Too much to ask to throw the kid out on the PP I guess.

86. Scungilli Slushy says:

Pouzar:
    Lines 3 and 4 total points:

EDM 11
    NYR 43

Jokinen – Strome – Pakarinen
    Malone – Letestu – Kassian

There are some decent and able players in there, but only 1 that is a plus skater. Part of the problem? I think so. Strome would be ok with faster wingers.

87. Elkhorn Boy says:

Strome looked bad on that rush. No backcheck.

88. OmJo says:

Pouzar:
    Too much to ask to throw the kid out on the PP I guess.

The PP has been doing just fine without him, it’s not worth potentially ruining what they have going right now just to give JP some privileged ice time on the PP.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:
    Too much to ask to throw the kid out on the PP I guess.

Half the posts in here are about calling him up to soon and putting himself in a position with pressure being a bad idea.

90. Chachi says:

Melvis:
    Chachi,

Allie happens to be sitting astride this keyboard. He is not amused.

LOL

91. Pouzar says:

OmJo: The PP has been doing just fine without him

???

92. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: The other half want him to be on the PP, in a position where he is expected to produce.

Expected? How bout some easy touches for an offensive player 5 on 4. He is already being expected to produce by virtue of being in top 6.

93. Soup Fascist says:

Pouzar: ???

“~” missing – but implied

94. leadfarmer says:

Scungilli Slushy: Jokinen – Strome – Pakarinen
    Malone – Letestu – Kassian

So we are playing two 4th lines

95. OmJo says:

Seems every time we play the Rags Nash gets like a dozen 2 on 1 rushes lol…

96. Pouzar says:

Benning picking flowers.

97. leadfarmer says:

Klefbom is just so worthless within 10 feet of his net

98. OmJo says:

Pouzar,

That was sarcasm, lol.

99. gogliano says:

Nice stick on the puck by JP there.

100. Pouzar says:

Nuge is possessed these days.

101. Pouzar says:

OmJo:
    Pouzar,

That was sarcasm, lol.

PHEW…I shoulda knew better coming from you lol

102. Pouzar says:

Sigh

“3rd Line”

103. leadfarmer says:

Please please try Nuge with Drai. Nuge is creating so many chances

104. Pouzar says:

1st line not doin so well.

105. 106 and 106 says:

leadfarmer,

Whatever happened to Unicorns?

OriginalPouzar,

Great opening song.

106. treevojo says:

Boom

107. OriginalPouzar says:

Puljijarvi scores.

108. Pouzar says:

109. treevojo says:

The big poo

110. 106 and 106 says:

Who’s this Jesse kid?

111. Pouzar says:

Frickin Nuge!!!!!!

112. OriginalPouzar says:

Great forecheck by Nuge and Jesse and great snipe by Jesse.

113. gogliano says:

That’s a goalscorer’s goal.

114. OmJo says:

Puljujujujujujujujujujujujujarviiiiii!

115. Munny says:

Keep’em coming Pujo

116. russ99 says:

Good hard work goal for Jesse, lots more to come, hopefully.

117. Evilas says:

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! Jesse!!!!

118. hags9k says:

Lundquist, beat clean!

119. OriginalPouzar says:

There is absolutely nothing better that could have happened than Nuge getting an assist on an ES Puljijarvi goal that was a clean beat of the goalie on a shot.

120. D says:

Jesse has played well so far in this game.

121. Material pocession says:

Pouzar:
    Sigh

“3rd Line”

Repeat. They are terrible. 4th line also terrible.

122. npanciroli says:

Rags getting away with constant hooks.

123. leadfarmer says:

This team cannot trade Nuge!!!

124. Evilas says:

Only 1 line has shown up for Oil this game

125. Material pocession says:

D:
    Jesse has played well so far in this game.

+1. On both sides of the puck.

126. leadfarmer says:

Material pocession: Repeat.They are terrible.4th line also terrible.

There is no 3rd line. also there is no spoon

127. treevojo says:

Pretty sure Jesse just picked his own nose with his tongue.

And people were worried about his talent.

128. Admiral Ackbar says:

Poolparty is my Fiance’s favourite player. This kid is animated, that tongue under the nose! Boy has no shame. He is destined for great things.

Great shot, great goal.

129. Evilas says:

treevojo,

I remember when 99 entered the league, he did the same thing….

130. Oil2Oilers says:

To answer a long running and important LT question; “Can Puljujarvi beat an NHL goal tender with his shot?”

Young Willis seems to have most of the answer surrounded: Yes, if he takes it from below the top of the circle. Which is about the same for every NHL player.

If the big gullute learns this lesson many pizzas are in his future. Many pizzas.

131. Nuclear leak says:

JP’s goal signals just how much of a misfire September and October’s decision making was for the Oilers.

132. Admiral Ackbar says:

Nuclear leak:

I think Yamo deserved a shot and there were only so many positions open. Still, I’d rather Jesse than Iro……

133. Dixs35 says:

Have to admit I hated the Eberle trade, but Strome is growing on me as a player. It would be nice to see him play some more talent.

134. leadfarmer says:

Puck go in goal. Me score.

135. russ99 says:

Dixs35:

Agree.

I think his chance will come, but for now he has to prove to Todd he can work hard within the system.

136. russ99 says:

Nuclear leak:

I really think it stems from July thinking, proves that Chia should have added another NHL forward and not expected kids to step forward on a top line.

137. Material pocession says:

Dixs35:

I don’t see much in Strome. Maybe slightly improved from training camp but that’s damning with faint praise. He’s a glider. Forwards need to keep their feet moving to be effective. If he did that consistently, he would get more chances.

138. OriginalPouzar says:

Dixs35:

As soon as we get healthy, he can play with Drake and Anton.

139. russ99 says:

Man the kid looks good today.

140. OriginalPouzar says:

Whoa, Jesse beats his man wide and gets a nice shot on net – almost with his second.

141. Primetime says:

Nuclear leak:

Really? Or it shows they handled JP correctly and now both the player and the team will benefit long term….

142. OmJo says:

I think JP subscribed to the Athletic and said “challenge accepted.”

143. OriginalPouzar says:

This 98 kid looks like a “volume shooter”.

144. Material pocession says:

Jesse walked around Kreider like he wasn’t even there.

145. Scungilli Slushy says:

Nice goal by JP, cut off the break out on the boards, read the play and slipped into open ice. If he keeps playing that smart and relaxed no more buses.

146. Evilas says:

Damn Looch! How many missed EN chances has this team missed this year.

JP is the missing RW, go Jesse go! How soon do you think they move him to 1 RW, at the 10 minute mark of the 3rd?

147. Munny says:

Pujo still needs to figure out how/where to set up for the one-timer… he’s forcing it. Was doing the same In TC.

148. Admiral Ackbar says:

Holy Dyna Poolparty! Never leave, please.

149. russ99 says:

Yeouch!

150. OmJo says:

That could have been A LOT worse.

151. Material pocession says:

Another great shift from the 2nd line.

152. OriginalPouzar says:

The 2nd line is getting pressure in the offensive zone, shift after shift – they look great.

153. russ99 says:

OmJo:
    That could have been A LOT worse.

Never wanna see someone take a skate blade to the face.

154. Admiral Ackbar says:

Great backcheck by Strome there.

155. OmJo says:

Evilas,

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl haven’t scored since the home game against NJ.

I’m not counting 3v3.

156. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilers dominating the first 8 minutes of the 2nd period.

157. Material pocession says:

Some signs of life from the 4th line.

158. Evilas says:

Nice shift by the 4th line, now that’s more like it!!

159. russ99 says:

Good sign, all four lines playing the system well and getting good shots.

Bodes well.

160. hags9k says:

The Nuuuuuuuuge, Loooooooooch, Puuuuuuuuuuu line looking real good.

161. jake70 says:

This Nuge is getting fun to watch.

(lol…anyone hear the music in MSG there – “same as it ever was ” THs)

162. TheVengeFulOne says:

Strome is fine as a 3rd liner. Wish he was better defensively.

163. Material pocession says:

Draisaitl needs to refocus. He has not been sharp.

164. OmJo says:

Material pocession,

Few games now he hasn’t looked like Draisaitl.

165. LadiesloveSmid says:

Some ugly decisions by Jokinen in the past couple games, usually what I like him for is those veteran smart passes/plays off the glass.

Don’t know why Pak is still on the team, prefer Khaira

166. Evilas says:

Another nice shift for the 4th line again!

Good to see!!

167. N64 says:

Gret99zky: Lowetide;: This is Rod Gilbert, from a series (70-71 O-pee-chee) I owned completely. All the cards, all the checklists. I would bundle each team into their lines and pairings and store them in the order of their standings. One box for East Division, one box for West Division.

Apples and Trees. Why am I surprised that CLR and RCL duked it out?

168. Munny says:

That guy again

169. treevojo says:

Mcgoal

170. Evilas says:

Yes, yes yes!!

171. Material pocession says:

Jokinen has to be in the running for worst Oilers player to put on the jersey. Maybe he can get his shit together but right he is AHL quality.

172. Material pocession says:

And they score!

173. OmJo says:

Finally!

174. Soup Fascist says:

If Club 54 was still open I would swear Drai closed it down last night.

Yay McDaddy.

175. treevojo says:

Lucic with first ppp this year

176. Evilas says:

That was a pick! How does that get missed, Frick!!!

177. Nuclear leak says:

Primetime: Really?Or it shows they handled JP correctly and now both the player and the team will benefit long term….

He was making the small important plays during preseason.. he could of been doing this since game 1, but there was another infatuation with a skilled player playing above his level.

The tip play to Mcdavid in the preseason personally sealed it for me that the kid was ready.

Not sure what 10 AHL games really mean for long term development.

178. fishman says:

Material pocession:
    Jokinen has to be in the running for worst Oilers player to put on the jersey.Maybe he can get his shit together but right he is AHL quality.

Can see why he was bought out last year!!

179. Nuclear leak says:

First Mcdavid pp goal of the season.. fire Woodcroft into the sun

180. Admiral Ackbar says:

Gryba is hot garbage on the breakout. He’s not a NHL regular. I miss Sekera.

Also, just to remind us all, Russel is on the 3rd pairing in the first year of his $4mil cap hit contract.

181. OmJo says:

Why can’t we do that on the PP?

182. Munny says:

Only the 3rd PP goal allowed on the road this year.

183. StixMalone says:

OmJo:
    Why can’t we do that on the PP?

They don’t have defencemen that stand there in a daze….

184. leadfarmer says:

Admiral Ackbar:
    Gryba is hot garbage on the breakout. He’s not a NHL regular. I miss Sekera.

Someone’s has to play with Gryba.

Klefbom does not do defense. Can’t wait for Sekera to get back

185. Evilas says:

This is a flaw with this team, how many cross ice passes have resulted in GA this year?

In my mind that’s 2 in this game already, where Talbot has no chance to stop the shot.

Thoughts?

186. Admiral Ackbar says:

Blue shirts getting away with a lot of interference.

187. Soup Fascist says:

Klefbom is lost in his own end. Absolutely clueless.

188. Material pocession says:

Admiral Ackbar:
    Gryba is hot garbage on the breakout. He’s not a NHL regular. I miss Sekera.

Russell is going to fight with Gryba for ice time when Sekera gets back. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them run 25-6, 2-83, 77-4

189. McSorley33 says:

I can’t believe the Rangers took advantage of Eric Gryba on the PP…

190. Evilas says:

leadfarmer,

I think Auvitu was effective with Gryba. Russell is a below average puck mover and with Gryba they are probably the worst puck-moving D-pair in the league.

Not a formula for success.

191. McSorley33 says:

Material pocession,

It may be too late by then…..

192. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Most goal are scored off rebounds. Lots of shots = lots of rebounds = lots of goals

193. StixMalone says:

Maroon does while looking straight at ref…..

194. npanciroli says:

Throwing this game away.

195. Soup Fascist says:

MacDonaugh did such a good job acting there – that I expect several revelations of him exposing his junk to hit the internet momentarily.

196. hags9k says:

Klef is not a great defender. Might not be good.

197. StixMalone says:

Klefbum

198. Material pocession says:

Letestu and Klefbom should not be penalty killing.

Newer Comments »