Lest We Forget

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

by John McCrae, May 1915

The memories my father chose to share with me about the war were purely anecdotal, but I do know it took things from him—most of his hearing, a brother—and he never shared the tough stuff. I know Germany is breathtakingly beautiful, that his trip to New York was maybe the best detour he ever took and that he regretted trading his binoculars for a 303 British rifle (the Brit soldier begged him, and so he made the trade). It impacted all of us, your family and mine, every industry and all walks of life.

The men and women who protected us—then and now—are vital to our way of life but rarely recognized for it. My neighbors are military, and they never talk about it (guess that hasn’t changed), but today I will extend my hand and thank them for their service, as it is (as always) long overdue. I will also remember my father and his generation and the generation before him. Recent world events remind us of the power and iron in the words lest we forget. Godspeed to the women and men in our military, you are the best of us.

16 Responses to "Lest We Forget"

1. Justthestatsman says:

Amen.

2. Bar_Qu says:

As the years pass and the people who served in those extraordinary circumstances leave us, it is ever more important to hold to this, to remind ourselves & our children of the peace they bought us. Lest we forget. Thanks LT for this post.

3. Pouzar says:

Amen

4. Pouzar says:

“Mikko Koivu was the sixth overall pick in 2001. He made his NHL debut four years later at 22 years of age.”

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON’T GIVE UP ON THIS KID!

5. Psyche says:

“Veterans”

By Alan Horwood

These men knew war: In youth and strength they went
    Forth into battle, when the world was rent
    By conflict, born of arrogance and hate;
    To force all nations to a vassal state.
    They bore the burden, blood, and sweat, and tears,
    Of strife, and toil, and sorrow, through the years
    That tried their courage, broke, or steeled their pride;
    Confirmed the strong, and cast the weak aside
    Back from the war they came, grim-faced and lean,
    Tight lipped about the things their eyes had seen;
    Burned in their hearts too deep to be revealed
    The mud and horror of the battlefield.

Their faces now etched with lines of care;
    The hoar-frost of the years is in their hair;
    But sagging shoulders stiffen in salute
    As youth swings by; but in their eyes the mute
    And hopeless longing for the days when they
    Marched to the bugles of another day.

They say that the old soldier never dies;
    And that is true; till under sod he lies,
    His martial spirit flames on undiminished
    Till death blots out the light, and all is finished.
    They did not shrink from duty when once more
    Dark war clouds loomed, more deadly than before;
    They vied with you, eager to do their share
    Of service, here, abroad, or anywhere.
    And those the years had touched with gentleness,
    Are serving with the troops in battle dress;
    Holding the line, until to son and sire
    Victorious bugles around the call “Cease Fire.”

Source: Robert H. Henderson Collection, Royal Alberta Museum.

6. 106 and 106 says:

Thank you for all of those for fought for us; past, current and those preparing to be deployed.

These two lines stop me everytime:

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow.

Always remember that as a kid reciting in Ponoka Elementary. Chills.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, the Oilers have a terrible record through out history in afternoon games – something like 52-75-15 (give or take).

This also means they have won 50 plus afternoon games in history.

Time to add another notch.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Given how great that 2nd line played last game when Kass replaced the injured Slep, I’d prefer to keep Kass there and have JP play with Strome on the 3rd line but coach said Jesse is going to be in the top 6 and I’m fine with that.

Got to assume we’ll see the following:

Maroon/McDavid/Drai
    Lucic/Nuge/Jesse
    Jokinen/Strome/Kass

Really would like to have Drake or Slep as 3LW and I think that will name a great third line – in time, in time.

9. Melvis says:

As did mine. Over the last five years of his life, basic communication consisted of little more than note writing. They bore little resemblance to the missives he was forced to write over the course of ten years following the war in order to receive his pension.

Amen.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Even if he gets off to a slow start, I’m confident that coach is done blending the lines each and every game (or every period) and will give Jesse a stretch of games on that 2nd line to find his groove.

We know he’s going to keep that 1st line together and we know that he is going to keep Lucic and Nuge together (they’ve played like 90% of the season together) – hopefully Jesse gets a good 4-5 games to find his chemistry with Nuge and Lucic – those two are just finding it together now.

Go Oilers!

11. Pouzar says:

Game Day Post Up.

12. Brantford Boy says:

Thanks for the post LT… Lest We Forget…

13. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON’T GIVE UP ON THIS KID!

We have an impatient fan-base who put unreasonable expectations on the development of prospects.

Jesse is a teenager until after the season ends – that’s how young he is.

Thankfully, I believe its just the fan-base that has disappointment in this prospect and management realizes the process and the potential and has not desire of moving this player unless its a blockbuster.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar: How awesome will it be for Jesse to be in on 2 goals for that 2nd line this afternoon – let it be so.
    Go Oilers!

Thank you – I would have kept posting in here all day and not realized.

15. Melvis says:

Pouzar,

I wish you hadn’t mentioned it.

16. Evilas says:

I returned from Afghanistan in early 2006 and I was posted to Wainwright. That year I was tasked to go to Marshall to attend and speak at their school’s Remembrance Day ceremony, the first and only time I have been a part of the ceremony as a speaker. A few years later I discovered this blog and your stories of growing up, given the geography, have ever resonated with me (my father was born in Edgerton and my significant other at that time was from Lone Rock).