G18 2017-18: Golden Knights at Oilers

It’s a distant memory now, but I can still remember the excitement when one of the “second six” appeared on national television. You rarely saw any of them (for some reason I remember Minnesota a lot) but every once in a long while the Flyers, Penguins, Blues, North Stars, Kings and even Seals would make the broadcasts. In 1970, Vancouver made the NHL and we saw them out west quite a bit, leading to a change in viewing habits at my house (Dad didn’t have much use for the Canucks).  Bottom line: I never missed an expansion game, not ever. It was an education, from “how not to play defense, kids!” to Bobby Sheehan’s amazing sideburns. You can never be a fan of anything like you were a fan of that one thing as a kid.

THE ATHLETIC!

The special Lowetide offer is here. I sincerely hope you can join me and thanks to all who have ventured forth to say kinds things and disagree with me at an astonishing clip! Nice to see you not holding back!

Great feedback so far, very much appreciated. I’ll have an item on Oscar Klefbom in the next day or so.

PIKES PEAK, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in November 2015: 2-4-1, goal differential -5
  • Oilers in November 2016: 2-4-1, goal differential -6
  • Oilers in November 2017: 3-3-1, goal differential -2

G8 in November 15-16 was a 5-1 win over the NJ Devils, last year a 4-1 loss to the Anaheim Ducks. If the Oilers win or tie this evening, the club will remain the most successful Todd McLellan November team, Oilers edition.

AFTER 17, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 6-11-0, goal differential -10
  • Oilers 16-17: 9-7-1, goal differential +1
  • Oilers 17-18: 6-9-2, goal differential -13

Whenever I see this line it amazes me how closely this year is marching along with 2015-16. Is there a magnificent plot twist to come? Hurry! G18 in 2015-16 was a 4-3 loss to Los Angeles. G18 in 2016-17 was a 4-2 loss to Los Angeles, as the Oilers continued to bleed. A win tonight gets Edmonton within three points of last year’s Oilers and that would be a fairly heartening piece of news.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM NOVEMBER

• At home to: Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Detroit (Expected: 2-1-0) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • On the road to: NYI, New Jersey, NYR, Washington (Expected: 1-2-1) (Actual: 2-1-1)
  • At home to: Vegas, St. Louis (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual: 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Arizona, Toronto (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-7-2, 16 points in 16 games
  • Current results: 3-3-1, seven points in seven games

I have tonight as a win for Edmonton, no guarantees but the Golden Knights have injury issues and are struggling. The home team has a hurting PDO, maybe it gets healthy in a quick hurry.

OILERS CURRENT ROSTER

• This is the Oilers current roster, I have the forwards by 5×5/60, the blue by Corsi for 5×5, and the goalies by 5×5 save percentage.
  • The McDavid line looks good to me despite recent struggles as a trio. Maroon should have cashed in both weekend games and both 97 and 29 had successful road trips overall. A lot of business gets done at four-on-four by the dynamic duo, seems we forget about that or make it out to be less important. Game state is interesting but goals have equal value no matter the circumstance.
  • The Nuge line looks grand, a real positive during a year when we could use a little good news. Lucic and Nuge are forming an effective duo and if the friendly giant can join in this could be a fantastic second line.
  • The Strome line is Strome and a couple of guys trying to survive in the NHL. Probably one of the weakest fourth lines in the business. Drake Caggiula drawing back in would be a positive.
  • The Letestu line wishes it was the Strome line. The trio barely sees the ice 5×5.
  • Nurse-Larsson are running the possession racket very well, this is a nice chapter for Nurse five years in. You need him to play like this all season long but a very nice start. Larsson is consistent and quality.
  • Klefbom-Benning is above water and can wheel. Tough single moments but the overall has some positives. It got a little crazy (verbal around Klef) on the weekend, people need to remember what he can bring.
  • Russell-Gryba-Auvitu isn’t the sexy but the numbers I value have them in the black.
  • Cam Talbot and Laurent Brossoit are both posting solid 5×5 save percentages. The Oilers PK has been the world’s biggest elevator shaft this season.

NHLE

It’s early but I thought it would be interesting to see who is posting strong numbers early. I included Kailer Yamamoto here even though he’s played just a few games, Tyler Benson is also just getting started. Forwards who are impressing include Graham McPhee, Aapeli Rasanen, Kirill Maksimov and Ostap Safin. Defenders of note are Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones and Filip Berglund.Nick Ellis is the king of the goalies.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we’re a full boat and we are locked and loaded. TSN1260, scheduled to appear:

• Pierre Lebrun, TSN & The Athletic. Oilers as we near US Thanksgiving and what a HHOF cast.
  • Jonathan Willis, The Athletic. Is Todd McLellan wrong to keep McDavid and Draisaitl together?
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. A fabulous weekend of CFL playoffs with another on the way.
  • Andy McNamara, TSN. NFL teams still trying to sort themselves out in the playoff race.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

456 Responses to "G18 2017-18: Golden Knights at Oilers"

Newer Comments »
  1. OriginalPouzar says:

The boys come home for a quick two game home-stand before they head back out on the road.

5 out of 8 points on a fairly tough eastern road trip – not an amazing trip but pretty good and they actually gained 3 points on the Wild Card spot during the 4-game trip.

They have moved from 7 points out of a playoff spot to 4 points out.

Looking for two wins on this homestand before they head back out on the road and I’m confident we can get 3-4 points.

5 out of 8 on the road was good but more encouraging, for me, is that they were playing much better hockey as a team. Yes, they are still struggling to score which is disappointing, but they are playing a good team game and keeping the puck out of our own net.

Lots of hockey left to play – I couldn’t care less about stats around November 1 and American Thanksgiving – there are exceptions to those “rules” every year and we are 4 points out with over 60 games to play.

Looking forward to a solid game tonight and a couple of points in the standings – don’t care if they score 1 goal or 6 goals as long as they get two points.

Go Oilers!

2. Johnny Gonzo says:

https://www.nhl.com/video/recap-dal-1-car-5/t-277753022/c-54562003 2:13 of the hi light pack- Radulov scores with a jump slapper!!! WTF. that is what we need on our power play- Pool with the jump slap.—oh yeah…Go Oilers.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Although I think its unlikely, here is hoping that Caggulia is ready to return to the lineup to add a bit of pop, speed and tenacity to the third line.

Verbal late last week is that he’d start skating with the team when they returned – I assume that means he’s still a few days away but who knows.

Will find out later this morning but it would be great to get him in the lineup, knock Pak down to the fourth line and knock Malone to the press box (better than his normal place in the penalty box).

4. OriginalPouzar says:

The boys played one of their best games of the year, in my opinion, in Washington on Sunday – on the back end of back to backs with the back-up goalie.

They were full value for the 65 minute tie and deserved the win (had double the scoring chances and double the high-danger scoring chances) – too bad they couldn’t pick up the bonus point in the shootout but they played a heck of a game (even if they only scored a single goal).

Looking forward to that exact same effort tonight which should parlay it in to two points.

I’ve got to assume that Vegas if a full-effort team and the Oilers will need to match that effort – if they do, they should come away with two points.

Go Oilers!

5. Todd Macallan says:

“(Dad didn’t have much use for the Canucks)”

Hear, hear!

6. Tapdog says:

Johnny Gonzo,

Would the celly then be the “Hand Clap” after the jump slap????

7. frjohnk says:

Nuge driving the 2nd line! Lucic showing chemistry with Nuge, and JP has had a fantastic start. More please.

Bottom 6 ( when RNH and McDavid off the ice) scored a goal last game.

After 16 games, they have 2.

Worst bottom 6 production in the league.

If from now until the playoffs, the bottom 6 can produce to just around league average, we should make playoffs.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m surprised that the NHLe of Safin and Maksimov are as low as they are and that some of the more distant bells from the US College program are higher.

Is that a function of age?

9. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: I’m surprised that the NHLe of Safin and Maksimov are as low as they are

While scoring at a point per game is decent after being drafted, its not really blowing the doors and the NHLE reflects that.
    Greg Chase scored 85 points in 70 games, draft+1. Is having difficulty breaking the AHL lineup, draft +5.

As fans, we believe, or want to believe a bunch of our prospects will make it.
    Time and time again, we continue to be fooled, as few actually make it, and fewer actually have an impact.

EDIT: I should add, that where they ( Safin, Maksimov) were picked, they were very solid picks

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, of course – there is no guarantee that either of those players will make it and its probably more likely that they won’t.

I’m just not sure how much I trust NHLe – I constantly see middling college free agent/prospects with much higher NHLe’s than the junior players. Maybe age is a factor.

I know that Safin scoring at a PPG in the Q isn’t a big deal but he’s also 2nd in rookie scoring in the Q and first in overall shots in the Q along with adjusting to North America and playing on a horrible team – to me, his NHLe doesn’t do his season justice

11. Ryan says:

Good gord look at that bottom six forward group on paper.

What do we grade Chiarelli for that group of players? That would rival many years from the decade of darkness.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan:
    Good gord look at that bottom six forward group on paper.

How about the following bottom 6:

Caggulia/Strome/Slepyshev
    Khaira/Letestu/Kasian

Looks much better with the two injured players in (take Pak and Malone out).

13. Munny says:

LT said…

Bobby Sheehan’s amazing sideburns.

I remember him as being lightning fast. In fact, I think the back of his Opeechee card said something similar.

14. Munny says:

“Jussi Kokinen”

Trying to tell us something here, LT, lol?

15. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– On another topic: Penalties

– While we have had the least amount of penalties called against us (47 penalties), and only scored 7 goals: if we score 4 more, then we are average in terms of goals

– The flip side though, that no one talks about is that we we actually don’t get penalized that much: we are 8th least penalized, with 56 penalites. Letting in 16 goals though, that’s tough

– There doesn’t appear by eye though to be much YoY that is predictable though in terms of PPGA, except that Carolina is really good at it: how did that help them!

16. Woodguy v2.0 says:

McDavid’s 5v5 pts/60 is still feeling the drag of the Yamamoto effect.

19-97-29 are scoring at 3.42/60 so far this year

19-97-29 scored at 3.55/60 last year

So we can expect 97’s pts/60 to rise over time.

27-93- X are scoring at 3.20/60

27-93-X (usually 14) scored at 1.94/60 last year

This is a great big goddam deal.

Having two lines score above 3 is pretty crucial for this team to make any hay with the bottom 6 being what they are so far. (need PP and PK to do well too obv)

JP seems to add a lot of dynamic and scoring to that line as well and they might even score at 3.5/60 if McLellan keeps shielding them from the tougher match ups (RNH is 28% vs Elite F this year, was 42% last year)

I think McLellan keeps Drai with McDavid because he’s running power v power and want 29 there to help win the goal share.

19-97-29 are 58.8% GF so its working.

Also,

Here’s the current pair’s CF% together this year:

25-6 —>55.2% (144 minutes)
    77-83—> 49.1% (114 minutes)
    4-62—> 43.5% (72 minutes)
    4-81—> 66.6% (27 minutes)

Woof.

77 and 83 are getting better, they’ve both had wobble.

Ideal pairs so far this years using CF%

77-6—>54.7% (151 minutes)
    25-4—>59.8% (48 minutes)
    81-62—>66.2% (32 minutes)

Obviously they are not going to sit 83 though (nor should you)

62-83—> no time together (24 seconds)
    81-83—>38% (13 minutes)

17. Munny says:

Woodguy v2.0: 19-97-29 are scoring at 3.42/60 so far this year
    19-97-29 scored at 3.55/60 last year
    So we can expect 97’s pts/60 to rise over time.

18. flea says:

Long ways from the Oilers preseason talking points about having the NHL’s best fourth line and best powerplay. I think the PP will come around – can’t believe they didn’t get at least one in Washington, but the fourth line is UGLY! I also think the “Best Fourth Line in the NHL” was great bulletin board material for other teams, to get their own younger, faster, tougher fourth lines fired up. Ugh, when will the Edmonton media learn , , ,

Good to see some life out of Khaira and Pak in the last game, let’s hope they can continue it tonight. That bottom six spark has really been missed this year.

However, there has also been a ton of turnover in the bottom six, and it does take time to find chemistry. Thought I saw a little between Strome/Khaira/Pak – I hope that line is kept together,

Kassian has played ok, and I think if the Oilers can get another line going, it’ll help out Kassian too.

19. frjohnk says:

Munny: While this is likely true, it isn’t necessarily true. We have no idea whether last year was a benchmark or not.

McDavids first year his GF/60 was 3.53 in 612 minutes

Last year it was 3.52. in 1310 minutes.

Thats a pretty good benchmark to use.

20. knighttown says:

That Strome Line/Letestu Line joke was a beauty LT. I bought hook, line and sinker with the “one of the weakest 4th lines in the NHL”. Wait now…that’s not the fourth line!! Then I read on and spit on my keyboard with the …”wishes it was the Strome line”…finish.

Not very LT like tho as it was way too mean. That was la Ben Massey joke, from in his prime when he was chubbier and watched something other than women’s soccer and curling.

Well played. Now I’ll go read the rest.

21. Munny says:

frjohnk: McDavids first year his GF/60 was 3.53 in 612 minutes

Last year it was 3.52. in 1310 minutes.

Thats a pretty good benchmark to use.

Doesn’t change the fact that it is bad Science to make that assumption. Especially considering there are still variables in play.

22. Pouzar says:

Juhjar single-handedly made his line a competent NHL trio capable of a material offensive attack.
    Hence I look forward to Jokinen being inserted back in the lineup for him.

23. jtblack says:

You get on the wrong side of the Math and well …..

By my calculations if Oil go;

37 – 22 – 6; they reach 94 pts.

40 – 16 -9 to match last yr.

33 – 20 – 12 Would land us at 92 pts.

Wrong side of the math means this team will have to scorch the final 65 games. Time is the enemy. Need Reggie Now.

24. knighttown says:

Darcy, I’m looking forward to your GDT review of the Knights. I haven’t seen a game yet. How are they doing it?

25. JimmyV1965 says:

Although our bottom six can’t score, I’m more worried about the first line right now. We absolutely don’t win games with zero goals 5×5 from the top line in the last five games. That can change and will change eventually, but it still baffles me why TMac doesn’t move Drai to RW on the second line. At least try it. That would give us two very dangerous lines. Who knows. He actually double shifted McDavid for the first time this year so at least he’s starting to think outside his box. Lots of teams in the league have meh bottom six players, including the Blues and Kings. And once the Drake and Schleppy return you can maybe think of creating three scoring lines. For now, balance out the top two lines.

26. npanciroli says:

I think someone posted this above and it does reflect our troubles with winger depth, but I think healthy we have a solid lineup and that Strome has a better supporting cast.

Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
    Lucic RNH Puljujarvi
    Cagguila Strome Slepyshev
    Khaira/Jokinen Letestu Kassian

27. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:
    Hence I look forward to Jokinen being inserted back in the lineup for him.

If Khaira did not play, Oilers dont score and then the Caps dont score either.
    The two teams go into the shootout and the Oilers put Jokinen in the shootout as he is one of the better shootout players and of course Jokinen would have scored.

Putting Khaira into the lineup over Jokinen cost the Oilers a point. 🙂

28. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: The boys played one of their best games of the year, in my opinion, in Washington on Sunday

Agree 100%

29. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: If Khaira did not play, Oilers dont score and then the Caps dont score either.

Putting Khaira into the lineup over Jokinen cost the Oilers a point.

I hate you.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

npanciroli:

Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
    Lucic RNH Puljujarvi
    Cagguila Strome Slepyshev
    Khaira/Jokinen Letestu Kassian

I’ve been posting that lineup for days and would LOVE to see it.

Unfortunately, once we get both Slep and Drake back, we’re likely to have someone else out of the lineup – as it goes.

31. judgedrude says:

frjohnk,

To be fair, Chase being a 7th rounder means he was also a solid pick.

32. Bag of Pucks says:

One of the things that stood out for me in the Capitals game was TMac doubleshifting McDavid on occasion with the 3rd line wingers.

The verbal on moving Leon to 2C has reached the point where MacLean queried Cherry about it on Saturday night. And Todd mentioned it in his pre-game presser.

At the very least, why wouldn’t you double shift McDavid more often? Like Gretz, the kid seems to have a bottomless tank. Funny how often the great ones do.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Caggulia is taking the morning skate.

Not sure if he’ll play tonight – hopefully Todd will tell us after practice.

Shit, inserting him in the bottom 6 would be great – bumps Pakarinan down to the fourth line and Malone out of the lineup.

34. Bag of Pucks says:

Despite the obvious effort, I don’t think ‘material’ is going to become a thing. Just saying…

35. Pouzar says:

Bag of Pucks:

This can only help.

36. Dicky94 says:

frjohnk,

“If ifs and ands were pots and pans there would be no work for tinkers! “ At least that’s what my grandma taught me. Go Oilers!!!!

37. frjohnk says:

Bag of Pucks: With this double-shifting, I suspect MacLellan is testing the waters to see if Connor can drive offense with lesser wingers.

I think Maclellan was double shifting McDavid to try and jumpstart the offense.

McDavid scored well with Yak and Pouliot in his first year. Most would agree those two are lesser wingers than Maroon and Draisaitl. And that was in 199 mins with Yak and 283 minutes with Pouliot, so not a small sample size

38. OriginalPouzar says:

Bag of Pucks:

With these double-shifting, I suspect MacLellan is testing the waters to see if Connor can drive offense with lesser wingers.

At the very least, why wouldn’t you double shift McDavid more often. Like Gretz, the kid seems to have a bottomless tank. Funny how often the great ones do.

McDavid double shifted mostly with members of the third line but also a couple shifts with some of the fourth line members and I think one with a couple 2nd liners.

I really liked him being spotted throughout the lineup but he can’t play 26 minutes consistently (playing half of OT obviously bumps that number up as well).

39. frjohnk says:

Dicky94:
    frjohnk,

“If ifs and ands were pots and pans there would be no work for tinkers! “ At least that’s what my grandma taught me.Go Oilers!!!!

Oilers bottom 6 tinker/60 is shitty.

For Pouzar, Khaira tinker/60 looked good last game

40. Dicky94 says:

frjohnk,

They’ll getter going and make the playoffs. Starting tonight! But they better put their work boots on for this one. Expecting another big game from Khaira and JP. Put me down for a Kassian goal too.

41. OriginalPouzar says:

No Caggulia – sigh:

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Lucic-RNH-Puljujarvi
    Khaira-Strome-Pakarinen
    Malone-Letestu-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
    Klefbom-Benning
    Auvitu-Russell

42. Dicky94 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Hopefully for St. Louis game?

43. Bag of Pucks says:

Pouzar: This can only help.

I used to work for a CEO that was a legit billionaire and a total no BS kind of guy. I’ll never forget a meeting one time where an external agency was making a pitch for our business and their biz dev guy was just reeling off one acronym or buzzword after another. Our CEO interrupted him after one particularly nebulous acronym and said ‘what does that mean?’ When the guy replied to clarify, our CEO stonefaced, says, “Well, why wouldn’t you just say that then?” Needless to say, the rest of the presentation was ‘materially’ different ; )

44. npanciroli says:

OriginalPouzar,

Honestly Kassian on the third line IMO. Can’t stand Pakarinen in the lineup let alone third line. Plus Strome could use some speed on the wing.

45. bendelson says:

Bag of Pucks:

#needsnewmaterial

46. Munny says:

Pouzar:
    Hence I look forward to Jokinen being inserted back in the lineup for him.

It’s Kokinen now. He’s “the real thing”.

What that thing is has not been refreshing and if anything, only makes me thirstier.

47. Pouzar says:

Bag of Pucks: I work in a field where every year, the latest crop of new graduates arrives spouting the latest jargon du jour. The thing about trying to create a buzzword? There needs to be some initial buzz driving it.

48. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: Oilers bottom 6 tinker/60 is shitty.

For Pouzar, Khaira tinker/60 looked good last game

You and yer mathy-ness!

49. flea says:

npanciroli,

I thought Pak had a really good game in Washington. Made things happen.

Need some consistency in the bottom six at this point.

50. npanciroli says:

flea,

It’s funny cause I was slamming him early in the game then just after he made a fantastic defensive play and my buddy was hammering me for it. Definitely a better game for him.

51. Chachi says:

Pouzar: I hear ya. I love it when in casual conversation a person from one occupational field uses acronyms to someone else in a completely different field. When it happens to me I just smile and nod b/c more often than not that person just wants to hear themselves talk anyway.

52. Pouzar says:

Chachi: As long as you remember to put the new cover sheet on all the TPS reports before they go out now it’s all good.

Done. Filed under GFY. 🙂

53. fishman says:

npanciroli:
    OriginalPouzar,

Agreed! I don’t recall exactly what Kass’s salary is but pretty sured it is higher than what a 4 th line winger should be paid. Kass has the speed and skill to play more than 5-6 minutes per game. He needs a push. If he can’t contribute on the 3 rd line move him ( and I really like the player!)

I know salary shouldn’t dictate on how a coach uses players but Oilers need to do a much better job assessing players, salaries paid and contract terms. We are not very far away from having a $4 mil bottom 6 D and a bottom 6 $6 mil winger. Yes I know Lucic has actually played pretty well lately but hard to expect that level for the next 5 years. With the two big contracts kicking in next year management will have to be a lot more astute at managing the roster. History doesn’t show that Peter is real adept at this but who knows!!!

54. russ99 says:

A month or so now before trades get going in earnest.

Really need a shooter for McDavid’s line, and once we get one the rest of the roster makes more sense:

Maroon – McDavid – Shooter
    Lucic – Draisaitl – Slepyshev
    Strome – RNH – Puljujarvi
    Caggiula – Letestu – Kassian

55. fishman says:

russ99,

Not sure we can afford a “proven” shooter unless it is an expiring contract.

56. Bag of Pucks says:

russ99:
    A month or so now before trades get going in earnest.

Maroon – McDavid – Shooter
    Lucic – Draisaitl – Slepyshev
    Strome – RNH – Puljujarvi
    Caggiula – Letestu – Kassian

Marky Mark plays hockey now?

What doesn’t that guy do?

//My personal Josh Leivo watch continues, Leafs sending down Gauthier allows the team to hold on to the skill winger for now.//

The Leafs are almost certainly losing both van Riemsdyk and Bozak by next summer. They will need cheap NHL-ready forwards next year. Leivo isn’t going anywhere.

It ain’t going to happen.

58. Oil2Oilers says:

Woodguy v2.0: 77 and 83 are getting better, they’ve both had wobble.

Since Benning’s early wobble, especially since he was move away from Russell, there appears to be a change.

I am still seeing a lot of verbal, here and elsewhere on his poor season. It is possible we need to re-evaluate this.

Rough start, changed partners, after some wobble regained form. (lets hope)

59. OriginalPouzar says:

npanciroli:
    OriginalPouzar,

I agree 100% with Kass on the third line and moving Pak down.

I think we need to keep Pak in the lineup for now as he’s proving to be one of the better penalty killers so far (not that that actually says much) but I see no reason why he’s up the lineup from Kass at this point.

60. teddyturnbuckle says:

The oilers are basically running 5 top six forwards and two 4 th lines.

61. fishman says:

Tonights game scares me. Vegas scores over 3.5 goals per game and has good special teams. They have scoring through out their line up. Have to hold them to 2 goals (or less) and hope we get 3. This is also first game home from eastern road trip and history in these contests is not kind to the home team.

Feel this is a watershed game to see if Oil has really turned the corner after a pretty good road trip. 3-2 Oil!!!

62. frjohnk says:

teddyturnbuckle:
    The oilers are basically running 5 top six forwards and two 4 th lines.

If we consider McDavid the 1st line, RNH 2nd line, Letestu W/O McDavid/RNH the 4th line as Letestu has played 4th line and some time with RNH and then with McDavid, and the remainder the 3rd line we get this
    Line TOI 5 on 5
    1st 16.5
    2nd 13.5
    3rd 10
    4th 7

1st line has a bump up because McLellan has double shifted McDavid during some games, so the 1st line actually has less time, but this ballpark TOI for each line.

Using the same format for GF/60 and GF/60 we get this
    Line GF/60 GA/60
    1st 2.79 2.36
    2nd 2.89 2.36
    3rd 0.65 1.61
    4th 0.00 2.25

Looks kinda like the 15-16 lines, in which the 1st and 2nd lines scored well and the bottom 6 were scoring at levels that would not even match what AHL replacements would score at.

63. OriginalPouzar says:

teddyturnbuckle:
    The oilers are basically running 5 top six forwards and two 4 th lines.

64. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: Yup, we have two players that should be effective 3rd liners out with injury – they should help when they are back (Drake seems close, not sure about Anton’s groin).

other teams are missing better players than Cags and Sleppy and some of these teams (like Anaheim) are missing close to half their top 9 forwards. Yet their bottom 6 are scoring at better rates than our bottom 6.

Yeah luck is a big reason, but our depth is still an issue. Good thing the injuries are just two 3rd liners up front. Dont want to imagine this team that would have RNH and McDavid out.

65. GMB3 says:

Olivier Bjorkstrand is trending towards being a good NHLer, and I believe he was around 1 point per game in his draft +1, which was also his first year in the dub. Might be a reasonable comparison for Safin

66. OriginalPouzar says:

frjohnk: other teams are missing better players than Cags and Sleppy and some of these teams (like Anaheim) are missing close to half their top 9 forwards.Yettheir bottom 6 are scoring at better rates than our bottom 6.

Yeah luck is a big reason, but our depth is still an issue.Good thing the injuries are just two 3rd liners up front.Dont want to imagine this team that would have RNH and McDavid out.

Oh, absolutely, I can’t disagree with that.

I was just stating that we have two players that I believe could.should succeed in the area that is of biggest concern right now (3rd line scoring).

The fact that the loss of two 3rd liners has created this problem shows an issue with the depth.

The Jokinen bet has failed to this point – if he filled the bet we made on him, we’d be in better shape – unfortunately, he’s shown to not be an NHL player let alone the 3rd liner the organization thought he could be.

67. dessert1111 says:

*starts banging the Tobias Rieder drum*

Middle six forward, can play C or RW, 2nd PP and 1st PK, RFA, fast, plays on a team already out of playoff contention, cost shouldn’t be enormous, had a history of playing with Draisalt…the fit seems perfect.

Injuries are going to happen, and injuries to guys with a few points between them isn’t an excuse for this team. We need a couple better players.

68. Ryan says:

OriginalPouzar: How about the following bottom 6:

Caggulia/Strome/Slepyshev
    Khaira/Letestu/Kasian

Looks much better with the two injured players in (take Pak and Malone out).

Two things.

1. Depth. When you’re one Slepyshev and one Caggiula injury away from icing a third line with JJ and Pakarinen, yikes. Not to mention have Malone on the fourth line.

2. Tweeners. Neither Caggiula or Slepyshev are bonafide NHL’ers yet. Caggiula does a great job of looking like an NHL player, but he’s like a career 0.5 points per sixty at evens or something (away from McDavid)

69. Ice Sage says:

Historic game tonight.
    Go Golden Nugge!

70. Ryan says:

dessert1111:
    *starts banging the Tobias Rieder drum*

Good player. Good fit. Will never happen due to past history.

71. OmJo says:

Won’t lie, I feel like this game will be a blowout for the Oilers.

The top line will get going tonight and not look back. Expecting a big game from them, 2-3 ES goals and end their pointless streak with a bang.

I’ll also predict Puljujarvi scores, and Strome scores. Nuge with 2 points, a goal and an assist. Talbot lights out.

7-1 W for the Oilers.

The offense has to come. Sorry, Legace.

72. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo:
    Won’t lie, I feel like this game will be a blowout for the Oilers.

7-1 W for the Oilers.

The offense has to come. Sorry, Legace.

I’m in!

73. OriginalPouzar says:

I guess there is a chance that Drake could play tonight (although I think its unlikely).

As per Gregor:

Drake Caggiula skated this morning and told me he is a game time decision. He took a shot on the tongue of his skate, just below the bottom of his shin pad where there is no protection. It is on a pressure point and every time he takes a stride there is pressure on the spot where he was hit. It is just a matter of it not impacting his ability to push off.

74. OriginalPouzar says:

Some encouraging news re: Sekera.

Also as per Gregor:

Andrej Sekera was on the ice this morning and he was working on more specific game situational things than when we saw him before the road trip. This Saturday will be six months since he had surgery. We could see him before the end of the month.

75. Brantford Boy says:

Pouzar: Done. Filed under GFY.

And as Milton said from Office Space…
    “And I said, I don’t care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I’m, I’m quitting, I’m going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they’ve moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn’t bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it’s not okay because if they take my stapler then I’ll set the building on fire…”

76. Pouzar says:

Brantford Boy: And as Milton said from Office Space…

Gotta watch that one again…Classic!

77. OriginalPouzar says:

Apparently we still have a future notwithstanding Chiarelli gutting the team.

Interesting article on ranking the team’s core players under 25 and how it sets them up for the future.

Note: This doesn’t include any prospects – not sure if that helps or hurts the Oilers’ case – we are barren at forward prospects with respect to the pros (do have Yamamoto and Benson as soon to be pros) but we have 2-3 good to great defence prospects in pro (Bear, Jones, Mantha, Lagesson, Berglund). Lots of college propsects perculating as well but I assume all organizations have these (Vessel, McPhee, Rasanaen, etc.)

Everyone loves and hates rankings, so here are some brief notes about how each team was ranked, to make sure any future hateful comments are properly informed.

Here we go:

1. Edmonton Oilers
    Connor McDavid, 20, +4.7, 1.31
    Leon Draisaitl, 21, +2.5, 1.13
    Oscar Klefbom, 24, +2.1, 0.55
    Jesse Puljujarvi, 19, +1.2
    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, 24, +0.8, 0.77
    Darnell Nurse, 22, +0.6, 0.76
    Ryan Strome, 24, +0.3, 0.39

Of course the team in first is the team with the league’s best and brightest player, Connor McDavid. He’s not the only reason to be excited as the Oilers have seven important under-25 players, including budding superstar Leon Draisaitl and top tier defender (despite his struggles this season) Oscar Klefbom.

The other four still have some growing to do, but Darnell Nurse is getting there this year with a lethal 60 per cent Corsi and the 14th best Game Score among defenders.

Jesse Puljujarvi is finally up with the team and his first two games were solid.

The two Ryan’s are the oldest here and arguably the weakest (though Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has been much better this year), but they still add to an excellent foundation the Oilers have laid out. Things haven’t gone well this season, but there are very bright times ahead for this group.

78. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar,

Not sure you should be pasting that article on here.

79. Woodguy v2.0 says:

McDavid’s 5v5 pts/60 is quite low compared to last year.

The time with Yamamoto acts as a big drag in this size of sample.

His 5v5 pts/60 will rise as more games with 29 on RW start to dwarf the games with 58

80. OriginalPouzar says:

frjohnk:
    OriginalPouzar,

Not sure you should be pasting that article on here.

I did just post the first bit of a VERY long article – it goes in to the same level of detail on all the teams as it does with the Oilers. Just a snippet, a preview if you may.

I made a judgement call – it may have been bad judgement and, if so, I apologize.

81. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Munny: Doesn’t change the fact that it is bad Science to make that assumption.Especially considering there are still variables in play.

You really misunderstood why I said McDavid’s pts/60 would rise

82. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: McDavid’s 5v5 pts/60 is quite low compared to last year.

The time with Yamamoto acts as a big drag in this size of sample.

They will no doubt come back up – hopefully starting in 4 hours.

83. Woodguy v2.0 says:

knighttown:
    Darcy, I’m looking forward to your GDT review of the Knights.I haven’t seen a game yet.How are they doing it?

Didn’t have time today.

Mostly riding the PDO pony from what I can tell.

Don’t know much about them and have only watched them a couple of times (to watch their opponent)

84. hunter1909 says:

Given that Oilers have the best player in the world and everything and Vegas have been playing in the NHL for all of <20 games it's going to be pretty wack unless Oilers stomp all over them tonight.

Chiarelli/McLellan had best start doing their jobs properly, because this is starting to look like their problem. Or in other words, they themselves are going to start looking like the problem.

85. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy v2.0: The time with Yamamoto acts as a big drag in this size of sample.

Great work. Managing to use a sentence with “Yamamoto” and “big”.

: p

86. OriginalPouzar says:

Very excited for this game tonight – should be fun to watch!

87. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: I thought about that and if it needs to be deleted then I have no issue with that.

I did just post the first bit of a VERY long article – it goes in to the same level of detail on all the teams as it does with the Oilers.Just a snippet, a preview if you may.

Personally, I dont really care. But for LT’s sake, it might be best to not post anything from a paywall.

88. Woodguy v2.0 says:

teddyturnbuckle:
    The oilers are basically running 5 top six forwards and two 4 th lines.

That’s better than last year when they ran a 1st line a 3rd line and 2 4ths.

The 4ths managed to get the odd puck in the net last year though, mostly due to Poo and Lance.

89. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: I believe you are right but I also think the numbers have plummeted over the last week or so with Drai, haven’t they?

They will no doubt come back up – hopefully starting in 4 hours.

Yeah, I’m not worried about 19-97-29 scoring.

As a trio they’ve played 716 minutes together, that sample is well big enough to project with.

Leon looked sick on the roadie too.

90. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy v2.0: Leon looked sick on the roadie too.

The poor roadie.

91. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Just for the record…

What’s the official Woodguy position on the current plight of the 2017-18 Oilers?

– do you think they’re inevitably going to right the ship and sail on toward the playoffs?

– do you think something else?

92. 106 and 106 says:

frjohnk</stunsigned ibsignedm

Meh, I signed up for a year to read the rest of it.

Great article; good to see what they are posting!

93. frjohnk says:

106 and 106:
    frjohnk</stunsigned ibsignedm

Meh, I signed up for a year to read the rest of it.

Great article; good to see what they are posting!

$4 a month is more than worth it.

Thats less than 1 dozen perogies and a ring of garlic sausage.

94. Premonitorial JDî says:

Ah yes, a lowly desert expansion team drags it’s sorry ass into town on a cold, snowy night. I’m sure a good drubbing will do wonders for the confidence of this Oilers team.

Only question now is, which way does that drubbing go?

95. hags9k says:

We are living in a material world…

96. OriginalPouzar says:

frjohnk: I just dont think the higher ups from the Athletic would like it if every so often an article from the Athletic that had something to do with the Oilers had part of it pasted here.

Personally, I dont really care.But for LT’s sake, it might be best to not post anything from a paywall.

You are probably right though – will be curious to get Lowetide’s official position.

97. 106 and 106 says:

We are now tier 1 and tier 2 fans.

98. stush18 says:

frjohnk: $4 a month is more than worth it.

Thats less than 1 dozen perogies and a ring of garlic sausage.

That’s a weirdly specific comparison.

99. frjohnk says:

stush18: That’s a weirdly specific comparison.

most use coffee as a comparison.

Im Ukrainian

100. stush18 says:

106 and 106:
    We are now tier 1 and tier 2 fans.

Honestly i think I might be tier 3 or 4.

I Havent been to a game at the new arena yet.

Also I really don’t know all of the players numbers. When woodguy posted the stats, I scrolled past because I can’t remember who wears what.

What’s after tertiary fan? Quad-something?

That’s me.

101. Truth says:

frjohnk: $4 a month is more than worth it.

Thats less than 1 dozen perogies and a ring of garlic sausage.

When you put it that way, is it really worth it???

Kidding. I signed up the first time I heard LT was involved, only to find out a month or so later he was officially joining. Or something.

102. dustrock says:

OriginalPouzar: You may be right or, perhaps, they don’t mind a bit of advertising to show people the kind of content they could get?

Well, his position on other content is wait 24 hours, no? And generally he just takes excerpts anyway.

I think you can cut/paste the precis to the article and maybe a bit about the Oilers but I agree pasting the whole thing is probably going too far, mostly because of the paywall.

103. frjohnk says:

I know you mean well and if what you did is cool by LT, then its all good.

104. stush18 says:

frjohnk: most use coffee as a comparison.

Im Ukrainian

That’s fair.

Its also about 1/6 of a bottle of whiskey.

Im an oilers fan.

105. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: will be curious to get Lowetide’s official position.

might have wait awhile.

LT is smoking cigars and drinking 60 year old aged Scotch in the back room with the high rollers from the Athletic.

106. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yeah, I’m not worried about 19-97-29 scoring.

Leon looked sick on the roadie too.

I thought you were advocating splitting them up?

107. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– I’m pretty sure that the :”leakage” of some small percent of one article on the Athletic, to a community that is by order of mangnitude smaller, based on a subscription model on a yearly basis, is hardly anything to get worked up about.

– Certainly how bad Chia is, how unispired our coach is, our terrible lines, and why we should have got Jagr is worth far more consternation

– Oil blow the doors off this evening

108. Premonitorial JDî says:

stush18: What’s after tertiary fan?

Quasifan.

Chris Nichols‏
    @NicholsOnHockey
    Following Following @NicholsOnHockey
    McKenzie: “Trade talk has really picked up in the last week or 10 days.

Mr. McKenzie mentions the Oilers among a package of teams.

As for the passage posted from an article at The Athletic, generally speaking two or three sentences is fine but large segments are discouraged. I haven’t asked the folks at The Athletic, but that would be my recommendation.

111. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock: Well, his position on other content is wait 24 hours, no?And generally he just takes excerpts anyway.

That’s exactly what I did – I didn’t paste the entire thing – just the intro and the bit on the OIlers – not the other 30 teams.

112. Munny says:

frjohnk: $4 a month is more than worth it.

Thats less than 1 dozen perogies and a ring of garlic sausage.

You don’t even have to add the dozen perohe… it’s less than just the garlic sausage.

113. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Skip to toolbar

Understood and apologies.

You guys did get one membership out of it though……

114. HT Joe says:

Mr. McKenzie mentions the Oilers among a package of teams.

Oh lord, please no more trades with NYI…

OriginalPouzar: Understood and apologies.

You guys did get one membership out of it though……

I’m not being critical, just offering my opinion. I think the article you linked to and quoted was perfect for this group and gives The Athletic a very nice advertisement. If I objected to it, would have deleted. 🙂

116. Munny says:

Woodguy v2.0: You really misunderstood why I said McDavid’s pts/60 would rise

I think you misunderstand my objection.

And I did read your prior post to me and your clarification was precisely what I thought you meant.

117. Melvis says:

frjohnk: most use coffee as a comparison.

Im Ukrainian

That’s an apt comparison. The garlic sausage from Mundare isn’t what it used to be. OTH…the ladies at St. Josehphats turn out a mean perogie….along with the rest of the grub.

Just crash a funeral now and again.

Oh wait. The Yotes are in town on the 28th.

118. Chachi says:

Jussi Jokinen for Mike Cammalleri according to Gregor. Sail on slow boat to China?

119. Premonitorial JDî says:

Boom! Scoring winger!

Nick Kypreos‏Verified account @RealKyper
    4m4 minutes ago

@EdmontonOilers trade for Mike Cammalleri. @NHL Jussi Jokinen goes the other way.

Okay, used to be a scoring winger. We wait.

Chachi:
    Jussi Jokinen for Mike Cammaleri

That’s not a terrible idea, you know.

Ah. It is an actual trade. Huh. Money?

122. OriginalPouzar says:

Jokinen for Cammaleri!

123. Chachi says:

Lowetide: That’s not a terrible idea, you know.

Definitely not my idea. I forgot Mike Cammalleri still played in the NHL.

124. OriginalPouzar says:

Cammaleri is only signed for this year at $1M plus a potential $200K in bonuses.

I don’t understand what LAK are doing.

This is AWESOME!

125. Chachi says:

Ah. Itis an actual trade. Huh. Money?

They make the sameish amount this year. Weird trade by L.A. That being said, watch Jokinen score 4 goals against the Oilers the first time they play the Kings.

126. Ribs says:

Cammalleri! Could be something if his hands aren’t destroyed. Dude can/could shoot the puck like few in the league.

127. pts2pndr says:

Hockey is a team game. Once upon a time the all star game pitted the Stanley Cup champions against an all star squad made up from the balance of the league. As I recall the all star team almost never won said game. You can not take the blender to your line-up on a regular basis and expect great results.We all know that it takes a number of games to get used to your line mates. Given the quality of play in the NHL the small differences take on a greater significance. Building chemistry by using set lines does make a difference. The Oilers partially due to injury and partially due to keeping Yamamoto as a top two RW have contibuted to a disjointed out of sync team that has been unable to enjoy the same success as last year. My hope is that once the roster gets healthy the coach will,optimize the talent on the team and the current nightmare will end.

128. leadfarmer says:

Crap for meh trade. Yeay we win!!! At least Jokinen is gone

129. Premonitorial JDî says:

Chachi: Weird trade by L.A.

Probably a prerequisite for the coming Klef/Puljs for Doughty/Brown trade.

130. Munny says:

Three goals and four assists in 15 games so far this season for Calamari.

131. Munny says:

Are we retaining?

132. Munny says:

Cammalleri probably doesn’t have the same wheels as he used to but he has to be faster than Kokinen.

133. russ99 says:

Interesting move, could work out and if not he’s gone next year anyway.

I like how Peter kept the powder dry for the big near deadline move.

134. Chachi says:

Premonitorial JDî: Probably a prerequisite for the coming Klef/Puljs for Doughty/Brown trade.

Doughty would be a dream come true. Unfortunately, no reason for them to ever let him go.

135. Alpine says:

Chia’s not bad at these types of deals. He should be locked in a closet when dealing with substantial assets though. Actually lock them all in just to be safe.

136. hunter1909 says:

Alpine:

Strange how it’s the fans who seem to understand Chiarelli the best. Ownership are blase about losing the “Oil Change” set.

137. Premonitorial JDî says:

Alpine: Chia’s not bad at these types of deals.

It would be hilarious to find out that Pete’s letting MacT or Howson sign off on these these smaller deals.

138. Richard S.S. says:

Lowetide has exceptionally bad luck, another trade when he’s not doing his show. As I don’t think the GM is done, I expect at least one more move soonest, preferably early in the day.

139. who says:

Premonitorial JDî:
    Boom! Scoring winger!

Nick Kypreos‏Verified account @RealKyper
    4m4 minutes ago

@EdmontonOilers trade for Mike Cammalleri. @NHLJussi Jokinen goes the other way.

Okay, used to be a scoring winger. We wait.

Am trying to figure out LA’s motivation for making this trade. What am I missing?
    Cammaleri is a shooter. I have no idea what he’s got left but hes got to be a better offensive player than JJ at this point.

140. Munny says:

who,

Stauffer was expressing similar surprise on the pre-game show. Really, what’s in it for LA? Prima facie it is is a great trade for us.

141. fishman says:

Munny:
    who,

Maybe LA thinks JJ is really good in the room!

142. hunter1909 says:

Kings robbed Oilers blind twice: getting Stoll+Greene

Then the Colton Teubert fiasco.

143. Pouzar says:

Premonitorial JDî:
    Boom! Scoring winger!

Nick Kypreos‏Verified account @RealKyper
    4m4 minutes ago

Okay, used to be a scoring winger. We wait.

JOY TO THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

144. jtblack says:

Gurantee Cammy’s wife (family) ain’t moving up here!

Good pick up. I thought Jokinen was a good pick up originally, you never know if these older guys can still play.

Maybe we can finally drop Letestu from PP1 and put Cammy out. He can (could) rip the pill.

145. frjohnk says:

A first glance this is a nice pickup for the team and we get rid of a contract.

Cammaleri can play both wings, so if somebody in the top 6 were to falter or go down to injury, Cammeleri could possibly provide some cover up there.

146. Material pocession says:

Great news. Anything to get Jokinen off the roster is a good move. Shows that Chia isn’t married to his mistakes. Still work to do, but he dropped the worst player.

147. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– The only thing is that he hasn’t played a full season in a long, long time…

148. Material pocession says:

hunter1909:
    Kings robbed Oilers blind twice: getting Stoll+Greene

Then the Colton Teubert fiasco.

Back in 1988…..

149. jp says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Well Jokinen wasn’t trending towards a full slate of games either….

Seems like a no lose from here.

150. npanciroli says:

But Corsi!

Love the trade.

151. frjohnk says:

Could have just avoided all this and signed Jagr in August.

Material pocession: Back in 1988…..

The Penner trade brought Oscar Klefbom. It was a win, if only because the Oilers had no plans to contend during the final 18 months of Penner’s contract. said so at the time, remains the same now.

153. LadiesloveSmid says:

Solid trade IMO. I like small deal Chiarelli.

Liked Jokinen more than most

154. Pouzar says:

Can Cammsy still skate?

155. Munny says:

Pouzar:
    Can Cammsy still skate?

Can Jokinen?

156. Lucinius says:

Interesting to see Jokinen gone already and to see joy at his departure. If I recall correctly his signing in the off-season was actually well-regarded. I’ve missed a lot of games and know his stat line, but did he really play that badly?

Cammalleri hasn’t played well, imo, in a couple years. Not sure what he has left. Overall I’m fairly ambivalent about the trade; liked the idea of Jokinen but hadn’t seen him good or bad this season (due to not watching many games), but am fairly ‘meh’ on Cammalleri.

157. Munny says:

Cammalleri said to Bob that he wasn’t actually that surprised at the trade. I couldn’t tell the reason why though, the audio was cracking up.

158. Lucinius says:

As an aside; I know at least one guy who will be pissed. He bought a Jokinen jersey two weeks ago.

159. Pouzar says:

Munny: Can Jokinen?

He isn’t THAT slow………………………………………………………is he?

160. Melman says:

I wonder if they were just doing him a solid so he could get more playing time? No one saw the re-emergence of Dustin Brown coming and it’s reasonable to think that’s where MC’s minutes have gone

161. LadiesloveSmid says:

jtblack:
    Gurantee Cammy’s wife (family) ain’t moving up here!

Maybe we can finally drop Letestu from PP1 and put Cammy out.He can (could) rip the pill.

Cammalleri is a left shot. Letestu is solid on the left side of PP1

162. OriginalPouzar says:

From accounts – MC wasn’t happy with being used in 3rd line checking type roll as he was promised some top 6 time. Dustin Brown’s re-emergence changed things for the Kings.

To be clear “from accounts” really means one account but its from an online presence I have known for over a decade and lives in The Valley and generally has a very good sense of what is going on with the Kings (and does have some connections – he’s proven over the decade plus).

163. Pouzar says:

If MC takes #13 he’s ‘The Rat’ right????

164. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:
    Gurantee Cammy’s wife (family) ain’t moving up here!

Couldn’t care less if his wife comes – this is a one year thing.

He may get PP1 time for his one-timer but it won’t be in the Letestu spot – He’s a left shot.

165. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: MK wasn’t happy with being used in 3rd line checking type roll

Well that’s not good news for him.

166. frjohnk says:

Pouzar: OriginalPouzar: MK wasn’t happy with being used in 3rd line checking type roll

Well that’s not good news for him.

Wait until he plays wing with Letestu on the 4th line.

167. Munny says:

Pouzar: He isn’t THAT slow………………………………………………………is he?

I don’t see how it is possible to be that slow.

Has anyone told LA that Jokinen won’t make it there till next Monday?

168. Munny says:

Pouzar:
    If MC takes #13 he’s ‘The Rat’ right????

The Squid.

Jack Michaels‏Verified account
    @EdmontonJack
    3m3 minutes ago
    Looks like Caggiula replaces Malone on 4th line. Had missed last 3 games after blocking Pulock shot in Brooklyn. Rest of lineup the same w/exception of Talbot in net.

170. Todd Macallan says:

Jack Michaels‏Verified account
    @EdmontonJack
    3m3 minutes ago
    Looks like Caggiula replaces Malone on 4th line.Had missed last 3 games after blocking Pulock shot in Brooklyn.Rest of lineup the same w/exception of Talbot in net.

Paging OriginalPouzar.

171. Pouzar says:

Jack Michaels‏Verified account
    @EdmontonJack
    3m3 minutes ago

Material upgrade.

172. fishman says:

Well thats welcome news!

173. OriginalPouzar says:

Jack Michaels‏Verified account
    @EdmontonJack
    3m3 minutes ago

174. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: Great news that he’s in but why the heck is he not replacing JJ or Pak on the third line (who would then replace Malone on the fourth line)?

JJ deserves his spot on that line after last game.

175. OriginalPouzar says:

Next Game:

Maroon/McDavid/Drai
    Lucic/Nuge/Puljijarvi
    Caggulia/Strome/Cammaleri
    Khaira (or Pak)/Letestu/Kass

176. OmJo says:

Jussi Goniken!

Chiarelli just Chiarelli’d Rob Blake. Lol!

177. npanciroli says:

Pakarinen on third line triggers me.

178. Pouzar says:

npanciroli:
    Pakarinen on third line triggers me.

179. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar: He isn’t THAT slow………………………………………………………is he?

Both players will finish getting off the ice by Christmas

180. Android says:

Lucinius,

The NHL shop is run by Fanatics, and they offer jersey assurance which from their site includes:

A free replacement jersey, if the active pro player you purchased switches teams within 90 days of purchase.
    Claims need to be filed within 14 days of the qualifying event.

I would say it’s definitely worth him looking into.

181. OriginalPouzar says:

Go Oilers!

Got to match the effort we are going to get from the opposition.

182. Caller Zen says:

Wait, so was TMac actually showcasing Jokinen those past few games …and THEN was able to trade him?! Yikes!

183. treevojo says:

Beauty

Oscar Klefbom scored.

185. Munny says:

Just what The Dream needed.

186. OriginalPouzar says:

Beautiful shortie – great pass by JJ.

187. Pouzar says:

BOOOOM!!!

From JUUUUJHAAAR

188. Munny says:

Nice delay on the passover by Jarjar

189. russ99 says:

Great pass, good goal.

Don’t stop now boys.

190. Ice Sage says:

secondary scoring
    defense scoring
    short-handed scoring
    that’s a lot of meat-regression in one lovely play

191. Material pocession says:

Klefbom and Letestu get points on the PK. Nice turn around.

192. hags9k says:

JJ making Pitlick proud with that assist.

193. healthyscratch says:

Watching while riding the shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo. First game I’ve been able to catch in two weeks.

194. Pouzar says:

Nice shift there.

195. OriginalPouzar says:

Great cycle/pressure shift by the fourth line.

My goodness Jesse looks confident – big and fast and looking to make plays.

196. fishman says:

Really hope this is the season JJ becomes a regular! Size and speed, 2 pts in 2 games.

197. OriginalPouzar says:

Puljijarvi just saved a goal there with a GREAT defensive play.

198. Pouzar says:

Wow JP! Nice break up there

199. Pouzar says:

F^ckin Pak. What was that?

200. Munny says: