Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

It took very little time for the Mike Cammalleri trade to pay off in a big way. Mere minutes after the deal, Edmonton’s offense unlocked after 17 laborious games and scored at will. Although Cammalleri wasn’t credited with any points, his presence was obvious and is not doubt a harbinger of things to come.

THE ATHLETIC!

The special Lowetide offer is here. Lots of new material today.

I’ll have prospect No. 5 up in the next 24 hours and am working on something about Jujhar Khaira but might not get it done until next week. Suggestions?

PIKES PEAK, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in November 2015: 3-4-1, goal differential -1
  • Oilers in November 2016: 2-5-1, goal differential -9
  • Oilers in November 2017: 4-3-1, goal differential +4

Music! Finally a positive goal differential for the Oilers. In eight November games the club has nine points and it’s possible to envision ending the month close to even overall and within shouting distance of a playoff spot. Let’s not plan the parade, but the last five games have been a welcome change of pace.

AFTER 18, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 6-12-0, goal differential -11
  • Oilers 16-17: 9-8-1, goal differential -1
  • Oilers 17-18: 7-9-2, goal differential -7

Music! The Oilers this year (16 points) trail last year’s team (19 points) by only three points. A gigantic game coming up against St. Louis tomorrow night. A win and this year’s model could enter the road trip with 18 points in 19 games and a chance to land on the 20-20 square at the quarter pole. Light a candle!

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM NOVEMBER?

• At home to: Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Detroit (Expected: 2-1-0) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • On the road to: NYI, New Jersey, NYR, Washington (Expected: 1-2-1) (Actual: 2-1-1)
  • At home to: Vegas, St. Louis (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual: 1-0-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Arizona, Toronto (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-7-2, 16 points in 16 games
  • Current results: 4-3-1, nine points in eight games

That second road trip of the month is just around the corner and it’s a lulu. If the Oilers can grab six points in those five games, there may be a story to tell that doesn’t involve punching a wall for Edmonton’s hockey fans.

DEFENSE

• Klefbom-Benning had a fine night, in possession and with the boxcars. The pairing played fewer 5×5 minutes than the other duos, Klefbom was 20 minutes overall with all the time on ice. Probably Klefbom’s best game of the season, his mobility and skill on display everywhere. Helluva goal by Benning, don’t believe he’ll score five goals from the slot his entire career.
  • Auvitu-Russell moved the puck well, Auvitu was positively dangerous and could have counted at least a couple of goals. De facto second pairing on the night, reflective of the opponent and score. Russell’s pairing routinely has the most high event defensive moments, didn’t change to my eye last night. Auvitu is a rambler.
  • Nurse-Larsson played a bunch, including seven minutes against the Neal line (4-6 Corsi, plus the GA). Nurse went walkabout once and it cost a goal, but it was long after the game had been put to bed. I like this pairing a bunch.
  • Cam Talbot stopped 22 of 24, .917.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS

• Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl combined for seven points with and without, a very nice evening for the trio. You get the feeling Vegas ruined the fun by bringing in the kid goalie, McLellan’s gentlemanly conduct may have cost one or two hat-tricks. Can’t say I blame him, though. McDavid is going to light up the Vegas nights for a long time, and he’s on pace for another 100-point season.
  • Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian were solid together, the veterans even got some power-play time in mopup time. McLellan let the horses run. Letestu’s 10 5×5 minutes must have felt like a lifetime after the last few weeks.
  • Lucic-Nuge-Puljujarvi had their moments, I thought the veterans were more dynamic offensively while the youngster is cheating for defense. Good  that he did at times, especially on an early goal mouth recovery. Nuge is playing as well as I can remember. Lovely goals. Lucic isn’t getting a lot of credit, due mostly to one errant pass a period and 18 months of hammering away on him verbally. He remains a surprisingly astute passer and this morning his 5×5 scoring number is 2.29. You want the youngster Puljujarvi to get more offense going, confidence is important and he had some chances.
  • Khaira-Strome-Pakarinen looked good to my eye, Khaira is really coming on now. Khaira spent 3:05 on PK and had two assists mere days after we were talking about him being on the waiver wire. Hockey is a strange game.
  • I didn’t run the Corsi’s because it’s not clear to me who the tough opposition is for Vegas. That’s not a shot, just an observation.

Fascinating paragraph and a reminder it’s still fairly early. Some of Edmonton’s power-play dynamos (Leon) still haven’t enjoyed seeing a line drive into the gap. No hot streak yet, suspect we’ll see one before January.

It’s the kind of trade we’ve been discussing for some time and Cammalleri’s boxcars (and 5×5 numbers) are good this season. For me, the success of this deal will come down to two things: Health and usage. If Cammalleri can play 50 games through the end of the season, get 5×5 time, and a center named McDraikins, suspect we’ll see some offense. Jokinen was a more responsible player and there was a time when he also brought offense. Edmonton didn’t use him in an offensive role, that may change for him in Los Angeles. I liked his game, wish him well.

JUJHAR KHAIRA

• Todd McLellan: “He’s a guy who is telling the coach that he deserves to be in the lineup. We’re taking notice.”

For most players trying to make the NHL grade, there’s a lot of luck involved. Khaira has some fortune on his side (coach and general manager appreciate his size and rugged style) and if he can play at current levels consistently he’ll be in Edmonton for years.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN 1260. There is much to discuss! Scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. A blowout win and a trade!
  • Keegan Matheson, Jays reporter. Winter meetings, free agency, trade market.
  • Gerry Moddejonge, Post Media. Eskimos favorites?
  • Todd Cordell, Hockeybuzz. We discuss Mike Cammalleri.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

131 Responses to "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Team speed, we have been talking about it for a while.

On the last few games we’ve replaced Malone, Jokinen and Gryba with Khaira, Caggulia and Auvitu and I think it’s had a profound effect.

Cammy should help as well.

2. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

The Toddler: “He’s a guy who is telling the coach that he deserves to be in the lineup. We’re taking notice.”

Everything’s coming up Pouzar!

3. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Team speed, we have been talking about it for a while.

Cammy should help as well.

Cammy might be able to beat Jokinen in a race, but he’s probably the only one he could beat.

Don’t expect to see him flying like he used to, he doesn’t do that anymore.

I own him in a keeper league and pay attention to him.

Chiarelli traded a good possession player who’s having trouble scoring for a weak possession player who has a career SH% of 12.5%, is shooting 12.5% this year and has shot 10.8% over the last 4 years (last year was an anomalous year at 7%)

I think Chiarelli traded from strength (LW possession player) to address weakness (LW who can turn corsis into goals at a reasonable rate)

The only concern is who plays RW (or LW if Cammy plays RW) on the 3rd line.

Pakarinen is a corsi black hole, always has been.

Strome is 41.5% CF with Pak and 55.8% without him.

When you consider that Strome is 53.7% as a C (time away from RNH) then you can see what a huge drag Pak is.

Cammy will be a drag too. They can deal with it if the other winger helps (like Khaira or Cagguila), but if its Cammy-Strome-Pak that line might not be what they need.

4. bbf_iii says:

“Still no update on Max Lagace’s health…and with no other VGK goalie ready to play…don’t be surprised if Dylan Ferguson…from Lantzville, BC and the Kamloops Blazers…gets the start in Vancouver tomorrow vs Canucks.”

I have no idea what Vegas is going to do if that’s the case. Cap Friendly doesn’t even have another goalie listed for them.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Really really nice to get a multiple goal win to allow the ice time for the upper echelon players to come down.

17 minutes for Connor down from 26 min last game.

Great to have all the d-men under 20 minutes.

6. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Twinkle in your Father’s JDî: Everything’s coming up Pouzar!

Don’t tell him that his boy Nurse was -1 in a 8-2 blowout!!

*giggles and ducks*

7. npanciroli says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I swear Strome just needs some better wingers to shine. That Corsi without Pak is hilarious. Why is Pak on the third line what does he have on McLellan?

Jokinen is one of the players where I am baffled he has a good corsi. He was just so bad this year every game i watched.

8. npanciroli says:

bbf_iii,

This is insanity.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

The PP struggled mightily in the first third (or so) of last season as well.

Just like this year, there were call to fire Jay Woodcroft – the PP then caught fire, was the best in the league in the 2nd half and finished top 5.

The PP start this year isn’t all that different than last year.

10. Brantford Boy says:

We should probably trade Klefbom now that his stock has value again right…
    *giggles and ducks* <– c. WG 2017

Think the team and fans needed a feel good night… thought the score would end 7-2… I should have bought a ticket…

11. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t think we can reasonably expect MC to play the rest of the season without injury, however, hopefully he can stay relatively healthy.

While not a speedster, he isn’t slow so should help the overall team speed and I can’t see him not providing depth scoring from the third line and PP. This was a no-brainer move given zero cap hit and term risk.

12. npanciroli says:

how realistic does it become in trading Russell this year? Would anyone have interest?

We could run:

Nurse Larsson
    Klefbom Benning
    Auvitu Gryba

and Sekera comes back soonish.

13. fuzzy muppet says:

I think Pak is the odd man out. Cant scratch JJ after his play lately.

Frankly, Pak isnt an NHL player. Hes a faster Lenny Petrell and thays about it.

14. Fgary says:

Was it just me or was JJ wincing and looking hurtafter a clear at the end of the game? Any word on possible injury?

15. OriginalPouzar says:

npanciroli:
    Woodguy v2.0,

I’ve been saying this for a while.

How much better does:

Caggulia/Strome/Slep

look tha

Jokinen/Strome/Pak

Now we can throw Cammy in to the mix on that third line.

16. OriginalPouzar says:

Fgary:

Not just you – I’m somewhat anxious to see if he’s on the ice for practice today.

At least we’d be able to throw Cammy in the lineup (as oppossed to Malone or Jokinen) if he is hurt. Would rather keep JJ and replace Pak with Cammy but we’ll have to see.

17. frjohnk says:

Fgary: JJ wincing and looking hurt

Pouzar curse.

Any player that Pouzar cheers for, gets hurt.

Nurse is next.

18. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Brantford Boy:
    We should probably trade Klefbom now that his stock has value again right…
    *giggles and ducks* <– c. WG 2017

All my “trade Klefbom” is my guess on what Peter is going to do.

I’m on record since 2013 saying Klefbom is the goods and dreamy.

Nothing has changed my opinion.

19. Eastern Oil says:

fuzzy muppet:
    I think Pak is the odd man out.Cant scratch JJ after his play lately.

Frankly, Pak isnt an NHL player.Hes a faster Lenny Petrell and thays about it.

I would agree and would put Sleppy there on his return. Running MC, Strome and Sleppy wouldn’t be a bad third line, especially if Pool Party keeps playing well on the second.

The only problem with taking Pak out is that he’s been relatively good on the PK hasn’t he? Coach seems to trust him. But I guess that’s why you hope for a bit of depth.

20. Woodguy v2.0 says:

npanciroli:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Quietly good vets who are always in the right spot defensively don’t stick out.

His speed and lack of finish really hurt his boxcars here, but his hockeyingcorrectlywithouthtepuck/60 is still fine and I’m pretty sure that’s why LAK wanted him.

I bet he plays 4LW and PK1/2 in LAK.

Laich needs help.

Cammy went from 1LW to 3LW to 4LW there.

The corgis with Lewis on the 3rd line were 45% while going 5-2 in goals (71%) (Lewis was 49% without Cammy this year)

He was demoted to 4LW and basically asked for a trade if they weren’t going to play him in the top 9.

Hopefully he adds the goals to the 3rd line here.

21. Eastern Oil says:

OriginalPouzar,

Crap, always a day late and a dollar short.

22. blainer says:

Just arrived at my Florida residence for the winter after driving from the rock.. As a result I have missed a lot of the season so far

Finally got to watch a full game and what a game to catch for an oiler fan. It’s only one game but when this team gets healthy we are a cup contender. We had Drai and Sekera out .. two very important pieces to the team.

I am expecting a fourteen game winning streak ( if healthy ) after Xmas.

Talbot is also regaining his form.

Hang in there folks I still believe this team is winning the cup this year !!

Oh and I just signed up for the Athletic LT.. That will be the only other place I follow you. Happy to see you get rewarded for all the work you do.. Congrats !!

23. Melvis says:

Last years PP was bottom five until Dec….when it got tweaked, and almost immediately moved to top five. I’m not sure if that was Woodcroft’s doing. Possibly Todd stepped in. It was his gig in Detroit after all.

Thing is, I can’t remember the tweak. Anybody know?

24. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Don’t tell him that his boy Nurse was -1 in a 8-2 blowout!!

*giggles and ducks*

pffft….anyone can play WITH a stick!

25. Primetime says:

Once healthy, there is actually not a lot of room on this team at forward.

IF the Oil are committed to Jesse (and he continues to look like he belongs on 2nd line):

– Pak is the obvious odd man out
    – Caggs-Letestu-Kassian looked like a highly effective bottom 6 line
    – That leaves Stome at centre and 3 wingers to play based on results/health: JJ, Slepy and Cammaleri

A big factor in deciding would be which special teams unit needs the most help: PK (JJ) vs. PP (Cammy)

Wonder what Jesse would look like on the PK?

26. TO10801 says:

Melvis,

Letestu was put on the PP as the shooter

27. jonrmcleod says:

I have to admit that I’ve been a fair-weather fan so far this season, but there are reasons to have hope that things will turn around. Hopefully they’ve already started to turn around.

(1) The Oilers had a terrible start to the season, but so did Minnesota, Chicago, and Anaheim. And some teams that have had good starts (i.e., Vegas and Vancouver) should fall back down to earth eventually.
    (2) The Oilers lead the league in 5v5 FF%. If the PP and PK start to turn around and they keep getting the possession they’re getting, they should start piling up the wins.
    (3) Sekera should be coming back soon. Fingers crossed that another key player doesn’t get injured.

I’m sure this has been said over and over here, but writing that made me feel better. 🙂

28. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: Nurse is next.

Oh no…that was last year…in Winnipeg…at a game I attended. 🙂

29. Pouzar says:

blainer,

Good to hear from you again B.

30. stush18 says:

Woodguy v2.0: Quietly good vets who are always in the right spot defensively don’t stick out.

I bet he plays 4LW and PK1/2 in LAK.

Laich needs help.

Cammy went from 1LW to 3LW to 4LW there.

Hopefully he adds the goals to the 3rd line here.

I don’t think he has enough speed to pk anymore.

Seams would open up I’d imagine. Or else he couldn’t get to loose pucks quick enough to clear.

I’m curious, do you know how JJ has performed this year with his other teammates in regards to possession?

I seem to remember him and kassian always having good numbers, in a small sample aize

31. Brantford Boy says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I was just giving you copyright acknowledgment using your *giggles and ducks* comment… wasn’t suggesting you were Klefbom hunting… isn’t he dreamy…

32. Pouzar says:

stush18: do you know how JJ has performed this year with his other teammates in regards to possession?

I am positive he dragged Pak’s carcass to 50+ CF% 2 nights in a row now.
    I mean is that even possible?

EDIT: You meant Jokinen. Got it.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Chiarelli really praising Kharia’s game last night.

Rishaug was talking this morning about how much the coach (and the organization) wants/needs this player to suceed – they like his skill-set alot and want it to work in the NHL.

I wonder if they foresee him as the 4C next year (Letestu replacement).

34. russ99 says:

npanciroli:

We could run:

Nurse Larsson
    Klefbom Benning
    Auvitu Gryba

and Sekera comes back soonish.

NMC and the coaching staff relies on him. Not happening.

Besides, Russell – Auvitu seems to really be clicking, and both players are helping the other with weak areas of their game.

35. blainer says:

Pouzar:
    blainer,

Good to hear from you again B.

Thanks bud.. from what I saw last night and what I’ve read Nurse seems to be rockin it this year.. looks good on you for defending him all the way through .. I had my doubts at times but i do think he makes a big stride this year !!

36. russ99 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Chiarelli really praising Kharia’s game last night.

I wonder if they foresee him as the 4C next year (Letestu replacement).

37. who says:

OriginalPouzar: I’ve been saying this for a while.

How much better does:

Caggulia/Strome/Slep

look tha

Jokinen/Strome/Pak

Now we can throw Cammy in to the mix on that third line.

If they play Cammelari with Strome I would prefer to see a defensively responsible winger with some skill, specifically Kassian, on the right side.
    If they are keeping Pak in the lineup for his penalty killing staple him to Letestu on the fourth line with limited 5×5 minutes.
    Suddenly we have too many wingers. How did that happen?

38. OriginalPouzar says:

Melvis:

Thing is, I can’t remember the tweak. Anybody know?

Main tweak was replacing Sekera with Klefbom on PP1.

39. OmJo says:

I’m not getting too excited, yet.

We lit up a borderline AHL goaltender.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy the team won. 2pts is 2pts, and 8 goals is 8 goals.

Let’s see how we do against the Blues.

Confidence is a hell of a drug!

40. Pouzar says:

russ99: That would be great. Big fan of Khaira, he’s only limited by his below-par hands, but if he can chip in a goal from time to time we can ignore that.

Below par hands don’t make that shortie play last night. His hands are fine.

41. Pouzar says:

OmJo: We lit up a borderline AHL goaltender.

Full marks for Oilers last night.

42. Pouzar says:

TSN turning point: JP’s stick check in the goalmouth keeping the game 1-0 Oilers. Confidence is a funny thing and who knows how things go if it’s 1-1. Loving his game right now.

43. Chachi says:

Can the Oilers ensure superfan “Willie Nelson” attends all future home games and accompanies them for all road games as well? He might be the biggest addition to the squad all year.

44. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Melvis,

– When people got worried about the PP last year, it was the same as this year: a 20% PP doesn’t mean you score 1 every 5. You get games like yesterday when you pot 3 then you go a lot of games without one. Worrying about the PP (not that you were Melvis), on incredible small sample sizes, and surmizing that the PP coach had a bad system, when in fact our talent on PP has some of the most talent in the league, was poppy-cock.

– So it was a narrative, that our PP sucked because our coach was stubborn, our systems suck, passing predcitible, shots from the point blah blah, blah etc, but it just wasn’t a thoughtful analysis, mostly made up. We have very very good PP scorers, and a track-record of scroing lots.

– That we didn’t for a small sample wasn’t proof of anything other than small sample

– I am a little surly these days, and looking forward to our Offense getting rewarded for what has been excellent play this season. The PP and PK: that’s just bad luck, that is starting to round out.

– We weren’t going to have the worst PP and PK in the history of the league, nor were we going to have the worst SH% ever, or the best goalering against ever, and be the only team to have top possession metrics and be the worst team in terms of actual goals and wins.

– I hope we get more of these games, so I don’t have to be so angry at made up inferences and conclusions based on variance and small samples! Our roster is pretty elite, and we are doing a lot of things a lot better than virtually all teams.

45. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar: pffft….anyone can play WITH a stick!

Perfect!

46. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Brantford Boy:
    Woodguy v2.0,

got it.

47. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Main tweak was replacing Sekera with Klefbom on PP1.

Moving Eberle off and Letestu on happened Dec 3rd and his one timer and nose for the net really made that unit take off as well.

48. Melvis says:

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the info.

Kinger_Oil.redux: Worrying about the PP (not that you were Melvis)

Insert smiley face. I’ll have you know I do worry occasionally.

“Melvis, you’re such a fence sitter.”

“Yeah but, the view is better from there.”

49. Dino says:

I remember woodguy tweeting out how the NYR found success in their bottom 6 last year because they employed so many players with high career shooting percentages. They were all 10-12% in their careers. I think that’s what the Oilers did with this trade, Camalleri has a career high 12.5% shooting percentage and will likely play on their 3rd line. They could use some of his offense there for sure. I like the trade.

50. Primetime says:

OriginalPouzar:

I wonder if they foresee him as the 4C next year (Letestu replacement).

I absolutely think that this is the plan…in fact before the season began, I wondered if we may actually see this near the end of THIS year….give the old man some “rest days” at the HS resort in the sky…

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar: Below par hands don’t make that shortie play last night. His hands are fine.

I believe the issue with Kharia will always be his puck skills – that was a delightful play last night but, over his career (in junior, the minors, etc.) he has shown a lack of offence. We’ve seen him treat the puck like a grenade in the past.

I don’t think Kharia will ever be a guy that gets more than 15-20 points. We don’t need him to. If he can turn in to a 4C that is responsible in all zones and fast/aggressive on the forecheck and provide plus PK – that’s a valuable (and cheap) player,

52. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:

That was a hell of a play by Jesse – very possibly saved a goal.

53. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: Marek Malik showed us all that “below par hands” can make the odd high-end play.

I don’t think Kharia will ever be a guy that gets more than 15-20 points.We don’t need him to.If he can turn in to a 4C that is responsible in all zones and fast/aggressive on the forecheck and provide plus PK – that’s a valuable (and cheap) player,

I think equating “hands” with “boxcars” would be a mistake. It’s like Lander all over again. Couldn’t piss a drop but the dude had skill. Sometime it’s about opportunity and whether or not you seize it.

54. Clarkenstein says:

Chia please trade for James Neal now. Trade some future for the present!

55. Melvis says:

Clarkenstein:
    Chia please trade for James Neal now.Trade some future for the present!

By eye, Neal was the one dude that had us running around in the D zone last night. I hate the bastard. Ergo, I wouldn’t mind seeing him in Oilers silks.

56. Dino says:

Clarkenstein,

I would do a Caggulia + AHL goalie for Neal in a heartbeat

57. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Clarkenstein:
    Chia please trade for James Neal now.Trade some future for the present!

– Guys like Neal are why you don’t sign a Maroon for 4×4 or whatever IMO

– His 21% sh% is silly though: Vegas should sell high…

58. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

I agree that people where too quick to shit on the PP this year, however last year it took significant player change to get the results we remember.

Last year PP1 started with 97,29,19,14 and 2.

First change was 27 in for 19 and that happened in late Oct iircS.

Second changes happened very close to each other.

2 moved off for 77 and 14 moved off for 55.

The 77 for 2 change helped but the 55 for 14 was everything.

14 was missing a lot of one timers and gave the goalie too much time to recover position when he got great passes in great spots.

5v4 goals/60 last year
    97 with 14 7.28
    97 with 55 11.84

Massive difference.

When they moved 29 off PP1 this year I thought it was an awful move and stated as much.

59. who says:

Clarkenstein:
    Chia please trade for James Neal now.Trade some future for the present!

Chia just traded for Neal light. Cammelari is smaller and older but has the same shoot first mentality. Best of all we gave up literally nothing for him, including cap space. Zero risk in this deal for Oilers.
    I prefer this to spending a first round pick on a Neal rental. And it may well cost more than that to acquire him.

60. OmJo says:

Pouzar: That borderline AHL goalie (not disputing but goalies are voodoo) put up a .931 and beat one of the best *spits* offensive teams in the league a few nights earlier.

Full marks for Oilers last night.

Prior to that he was .893 vs MTL, .880 vs TOR, and .857 vs OTT.

His game against the Jets is an outlier. If we do this again against St. Louis then I’ll start to get excited. Not expecting 8 goals but goals from up and down the lineup, including on the PP, and ofc most importantly a W.

61. Munny says:

Twinkle in your Father’s JDî,

This might be your best moniker yet.

62. gregsaint says:

No ”sail on Kalajoki hokey-pokey” post?

Jussi, we hardly knew ye…ye were mostly Juss-less

63. Pouzar says:

OmJo: Prior to that he was .893 vs MTL, .880 vs TOR, and .857 vs OTT.

Maybe a 4-1 win for Oil?

64. OriginalPouzar says:

Dino:
    Clarkenstein,

I would do a Caggulia + AHL goalie for Neal in a heartbeat

Of course – unfortunately they are probably wanting a first round pick which is a non-starter for me.

65. Dustylegnd says:

npanciroli:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Safe to say that if Shlep and Cag are healthy, JJ playing much better and Cammi arriving …Pak can pack his shit and head to the presss box no?

66. stush18 says:

Pouzar: I am positive he dragged Pak’s carcass to 50+ CF% 2 nights in a row now.
    I mean is that even possible?

EDIT: You meant Jokinen. Got it.

I actually meant Jujhar. Got in the habit of calling him JJ before jussi jokinen wasn’t on the team.

67. stush18 says:

Chachi:

Oilers version of dartguy?

68. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Kinger_Oil.redux,

– Agree that the results occured after the change, but I’m not as confident that the change explains the result. I’d attribute it much more to to simply sh$t happening, and better luck and pucks going in

– Neither Lucic or Drai have a PPG this year, and they have 1 PPP combined. I’m much more confident in this being attributed to luck and 0% sh% than any system thingy or coaching, or sucking

– Really its just a goal here or there. Wait the end of the season, I’d bet given our talent we will be within a few percentages of the best PP again, regardless (or as a result) of the set-up

69. TheVengeFulOne says:

I think we expect less from NHL goaltending than what it is. Hockey fans are very quick to say “he had no chance.” NHL goalies routinely make many fantastic saves, and that is what really separates them CHL goalies. Just because it was a cross ice pass, or there was some traffic in front doesn’t mean that goalie had no impact on the ga.

70. Melvis says:

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

There’s a coda to that within which one often searches for metaphors. That search constitutes my job as an artist…for lack of a better term – there’s a cetain pretentiousness inherent in the term I’m not crazy about either.

I dislike purple sentimentality, mawknessness, and various other allsorts variations – unless personally indulging in those things after a three glass lunch.

This brings me to Jim Gordon, the seminal session drummer who so strongly influenced so many other LA session drummers following in his wake. The wake. It’s important here.

All those guys everybody here has been influenced by through those meandering forays through hotel lobbies, elevators, big box stores, and other environmental Muzaks.. Subconscious grooves and ear worms making your day.

Often gone missing in the three minute version of the tune – the piano coda written and played by the afore mentioned Gordon.

That’s the thing that sends me…even more so than those absolutely sweet guitar harmonics.

It enunciates the passage of time, and relationships lost to those vagaries of time, of place, of environment. Of personal goals. And perhaps it portends something else entirely.

Jim Gordon, despite his paramount skills, was more than slightly miswired as it turns out.

In 1983, he took a hammer and a butcher knife to his mom. Diagnosed as a schizophrenic, he’s currently serving life at the California Medical Facility.

We can elaborateall of the the aspects of the Game, given on ice performance, until the cows come home.

Lacking the all access pass, we can only guess at what happens in the room. I’ve been in the room, in the allegrical sense of the word. It’s a significant privilege for which I’m eternally thankful. And I often tend to view it as the chunk of the glacier beneath the waves.

That’s why I sit on the fence.

71. Side says:

TheVengeFulOne:

Yes, but I don’t think there’s a goalie out there who would have saved all 8 goals against (plus whatever goals may have came if Todd and the refs didn’t show mercy on the LV goalie).

72. Ryan says:

Woodguy v2.0: All my “trade Klefbom” is my guess on what Peter is going to do.

I’m on record since 2013 saying Klefbom is the goods and dreamy.

Nothing has changed my opinion.

73. OmJo says:

Pouzar: I get that, but I don’t think there is a goalie alive that was backstopping Vegas to a win last night.
    Maybe a 4-1 win for Oil?

Yeah, something more reasonable like 4-1. Not disputing the Oilers should have won yesterday, I just don’t think the offensive woes are quite over yet.

I could be wrong. I could definitely be wrong.

74. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Melvis,

– Melvis : this blog is so dangerous! I’m like: who is this Jim Gordon that Melvis is talking about

*spends next 15 minutes doing wiki, reading about parole hearing, looking at the artists he played with*

OK – more like 20 minutes…

75. Dustylegnd says:

Observations from last Night:

Larsson absolutely erases people at the blue line, it has a real and meaningful impact on the game, I never understood how physical he was until he came to us, when you make skaters pay a tangible price for maintaining possession at the blue line……this is true and real intimidation

So goes Klefbom so goes this team, when Kleff has his A game the oilers have their A game, his contributions offensively are like a rising tide, all boats get to float, the Oil need to bottle what he brought last night and in game 1,

Kleff has a game no other Oiler defenseman has, lets hope he is back at full power for the next 65 plus games

After bitching about Nuge not contributing 5 x 5/60 for the past 2 seasons, he has become a monster this year and done it with less than ideal line mates, he still has more upside if PoolParty catches fire

Just Amazing to see Khaira turn the corner and put up back to back strong performances, he has size, reach, some skill and some nasty, just amazing what a little confidence can do for a kid, may have resuscitated the bottom 6 single handedly

The old “Crack down on McJesus” strategy works fantastic until it doesn’t, when the oil get bottom 6 scoring and special team performance it is amazing how everything opens up for the 1st line, got to have that bottom 6 contribution, it changes a lot from what I can see

Once we get Sekera back at full power which may not be until next year, the options on D are very encouraging, if him and Kleff rhyme or Sekera and Nurse rhyme, we put Benning in a position to thrive with his head above water

A lot of skepticism that the PP has come to life and that shooting % are returning to normal, I love it, like the equities market climbing a wall of worry after a sudden and unexpected down turn, it makes me more confident that the Oil’s monster Corsi, Fennwick, shot count and scoring chances will be rewarded going forward

another win against a recently porous Blues defense will do wonders to add fuel to the Oil’s fire

76. Chachi says:

stush18: Oilers version of dartguy?

Exactly the same except Willie is awesome.

77. SHILL83 says:

19-97-29
    27-93-98
    Cammy-18-16
    91-55-44
    26-58

25-6
    77-83
    81-4

Lines I’d like to see for tomorrows game.
    Get Pak in the press box. He isn’t doing anything 5×5 and I’d be okay with giving Cagg his PK time as his ice time will be limited playing on that fourth line anyways.Get Cammy into the lineup on the third line. Should help with the offence for Strome and then put JJ on that line. Gives that line a defensive minded player and the size as the blues are a bigger team. Keep Cagg on the fourth line and easy him back into the game after another injury. JJ has played very well last two games and I want to see what he can do on a line that has some offensive potential. That shorthanded pass was great and the guy does have some wheels for a big frame.
    As for the defense, I am also unsure if you play gryba against the blues as they are much bigger and he can handle that play but I do like the speed of Avuitu, I don’t like that third D line but its the best we have at the moment. Just unsure who plays with russell on it. Cant wait to have Sek back and then have a third pairing D of Russell and Sek. Less minutes for Sek as he gets backing game speed and he seems to be the only real partner that can handle russell.

78. Dominoiler says:

I might be changing my username to Crow Eater, happily..

JJ, wow, impressive pass and solid all round game..

Lucic, enjoyed that first hit he threw in the game, literally throwing down the defender that tried to check him.. contributing consistently, unspectacular at times but has some chemistry w nuge.. essential for this club that McD gets help from outside the top line..

Pulju has been a welcome addition, despite the mediocre results in the ahl.. turns out those folks banging the ‘and who is the skill centre there’ drum were onto something.. someone said the other day, nice to have the speed of pulju and JJ in the lineup.. i agree..

79. OriginalPouzar says:

SHILL83:
    19-97-29
    27-93-98
    Cammy-18-16
    91-55-44
    26-58

25-6
    77-83
    81-4

Yup, I’d run these lines as well – we need continuity in the lines from game to game and we are just essentially switching Pak for Cammalleri which, although we do lose a bit of “speed” cannot be seen as anything but an upgrade (except for the PK).

80. Melvis says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Melvis : this blog is so dangerous!

81. JimmyV1965 says:

Tomorrow will be a big game. There’s no way the Blues have a better line up yet they’re tops in the west. If Oil win, could be the game that sets them on course again.

82. Surrey Oiler says:

83. stush18 says:

JimmyV1965:

AGREED. Could sit them down or prop them up for a run.

Honestly I have all the confidence in this team, (have since this losing streak began) but that damn pk might kill us again with tarasenko and peteriangelo coming to town.

84. Surrey Oiler says:

JimmyV1965,

Hoping Cammellieri has an awesome start !!!

85. stush18 says:

Surrey Oiler:

I think they’ll see what cammy can do first beforehand considering adding anything else at forward.

Honestly I cant see them adding anything at forward.

86. Shane says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Melvis,

– Melvis : this blog is so dangerous!I’m like: who is this Jim Gordon that Melvis is talking about

OK – more like 20 minutes…

Kinger I just did the exact same thing.

Then another 5 minutes wondering if/what song and instruments Melvis was playing on those sessions? 😉

87. OriginalPouzar says:

Surrey Oiler:

1) Are you willing to give up Puljijarvi and our 1st round pick for him? That’s the type of deal it would probably take

2) How do we afford his $5.25M cap hit next season?

3) How do we afford his $7M (or so) cap hit it would take to re-sign him?

88. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: Are you willing to give up Puljijarvi and our 1st round pick for him?

He is a UFA next year. There is no way you give that much for him.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar: He is a UFA next year. There is no way you give that much for him.

My mistake, I thought he had one more year.

Well, it would cost a bundle still – a first rounder plus a decent prospect like Jones.

For a player that we couldn’t re-sign either – he’s going to want $7M plus, shit maybe even Drai money.

90. Surrey Oiler says:

Pouzar,

Yes there would be a few factors, and Pulj on a weak right wing is needed for future…I was hoping for Maroon (since he is a UFA also), and this years 1st and 2nd…

I’m just hoping Chia at least kicks the tires on Kane, sniper with McDavid let’s Drai slip to 2nd line and run it…

91. treevojo says:

Surrey Oiler:

Evander Kane putting up big numbers in a contract year.

Where have I seen this before?

2011-12 30g 27a 57pts

92. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar,

If Evander Kane gets $7M on his next contract there’s something really wrong with the UFA market and we’re definitely on our way to another lockout.

93. Jethro Tull says:

I have it on good authority that Giant Squid Overlord is very happy with the calamari trade.

94. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo:
    OriginalPouzar,

95. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Melvis:
    Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

There’s a coda to that within which one often searches for metaphors. That search constitutes my job as an artist…for lack of a better term– there’s a cetain pretentiousness inherent in the term I’m not crazy about either.

That’s the thing that sends me…even more sothan those absolutely sweet guitar harmonics.

We can elaborateall of thethe aspects of the Game, given on ice performance, until the cows come home.

Lacking the all access pass, we can only guess at what happens in the room. I’ve been in the room, in the allegrical sense of the word.It’s a significant privilege for which I’m eternally thankful.And I often tend to view it as the chunk of the glacier beneath the waves.

That’s why I sit on the fence.

So, so, so good.

Thanks for that.

96. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ryan: That was a good one the other day with your observation that Peter has a habit of dealing from the top of the deck to get what he wants.

Thanks Ryan

97. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Melvis: Fuckin slippery man. You don’t wanna be in those bedroom slippers out on the driveway taking out the recycling after a bit of snow. Groin injury.

Wearing my leather soled shoes I took an amazing header off the slop next to my garage where I put out the trash for collection.

Both feet lost all traction at the same time.

Gravity and Newton’s 1st law took over.

Ass over tea kettle and nearly did the splits by the time I came to a sliding stop.

I actually tore a groin muscle playing rugby in high school that took a lot of rehab to fix.

This hurt more.

Man.

98. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Jethro Tull:

That’s fantastic.

He should chime in more.

Woodguy v2.0: Was taking out the garbage last spring on a morning after a warm day and cold night that put a fine thin layer of ice on the packed snow.

Both feet lost all traction at the same time.

Gravity and Newton’s 1st law took over.

This hurt more.

Man.

Long shot here, but any video?

100. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar: Well, he’s currently on pace for 45 goals and 82 points so, if he continues like that for the rest of the season, he will be WELL north of $7M.

Whoever takes the bait this summer and gives him $7M is going to regret that contract.

Good thing it won’t be us!

101. JustWatt says:

Melvis: Pubis injury.

FTFY

102. JustWatt says:

Lowetide: Long shot here, but any video?

CCTV. No question. But it’ll probably take wikileaks or Russians to steal it first

103. Lewis Grant says:

Dustylegnd: The old “Crack down on McJesus” strategy works fantastic until it doesn’t,

Doesn’t it usually work when teams play the trap against us?

And don’t they usually play the trap against us in the playoffs?

That’s what worries me.

104. Lewis Grant says:

Surrey Oiler: Anyone else thinking that Chia should try to get Evander Kane ? He would be dynamite with McDavid

A lot of people have raised the ‘character issue’ with Kane. Enough smoke that you’ve got to think there’s fire. I’d say more but I don’t want to violate our gracious host’s ban on hearsay.

105. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

10. One scout who saw the Oilers last week: “It’s a good thing the playoffs are not three-on-three. Edmonton would win the next 10 Stanley Cups.”

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m headed over to petition.org right now.

#tenpeat

106. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo: He’s been nowhere near a PPG player at any other point in his career, let alone a $7M player.

Good thing it won’t be us!

If he is anywhere near a PPG this year then, yes, someone will pay him north of $7M – guaranteed.

Drai only had one season near a PPG and he got $8M (granted he’s 5 years younger and doesn’t have the history of being below a PPG player).

A 26 year old high pedigree player with 45G and 82P – yes, he’s going to get paid in free agency.

107. OriginalPouzar says:

Lewis Grant: Doesn’t it usually work when teams play the trap against us?

And don’t they usually play the trap against us in the playoffs?

That’s what worries me.

We’ve really only got one playoff season to go on and they didn’t really play the trap as much as the “maul”.

108. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

Chachi: He might be the biggest addition to the squad all year.

I wholeheartedly agree.

109. leadfarmer says:

OmJo:
    OriginalPouzar,

We’re on our way to another lockout

110. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lowetide: Long shot here, but any video?

Yes, but I sold it and bought a condo.

111. Melvis says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yes, but I sold it and bought a condo.

LOL.

112. jtblack says:

At least PC didn’t sign Eddie Lack …..

113. frjohnk says:

jtblack:
    At least PC didn’t sign Eddie Lack…..

Chia was out of NMC candy

114. flyfish1168 says:

phlegms have been very deliberate and assertive with the post-whistle scrums in front of their own goal. They should feel fortunate that they have not been called on some of them. That is frustrating to me that the refs want to keep the game close by not calling them when a team deserves to be penalized.

115. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Surrey Oiler,

Hard pass.

That guy is a tire fire on skates.

Which is too bad, because he plays the game the right way but doesn’t have it synched up between the ears.

Missing practice because you’re up all night playing video games isn’t a character move, especially after being traded because of character issues.

Neither is showing up to a team meeting in a track suit, which Byfuglien promptly threw into the showers haha, when the dress code is a suit and tie.

Considering those are just a couple incidents that made it to mainstream media, and let’s not forget the twitter debacles with the stacks of cash *rollseyes, I cannot imagine what was kept in-house.

These are not the hallmarks of a professional. At this point he has more track record of being a punk than he does being a solid pro who buys into the team identity. By the time he shakes that image, if ever, he’ll be old and set to retire.

Then there’s the logistics of such a move, as previously mentioned. What assets are we giving up to acquire a guy who likely won’t fit in with the team, and how much is he going to want to re-sign going forward?

116. flyfish1168 says:

Best way to spend a wintery evening is

1) Watch our Oilers win

2) Watching any team open a can of whoopass on the phlegms 🙂

117. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson with an early assist – again, on the PP.

For some reason the Pete’s played at like 10:30 eastern this morning. Wells took the loss, 4 goal on 36 shots.

118. pts2pndr says:

LT
    Re prospect list. After young stars tournament I would rate both Maximov and Safin ahead of Yamimoto. Both have better size equally as fast and in Safin’s case has not yet adjusted to a new environment. Yamimoto needs final year of junior for physical maturation and one year of playing against professionals in the AHL to confirm he can adapt. He has to play in the top two lines. The other two would be able to play in third or fourth line role while gaining Pro experience. In Yamamoto’s case you have boom or bust. With the other two there is more room for growth ( size matters).

119. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson finishes with 3 assists and 5 shots in a 4-2 win.

120. OriginalPouzar says:

pts2pndr:
    LT
    Re prospect list. After young stars tournament I would rate both Maximov and Safinahead of Yamimoto. Both have better size equally as fast and in Safin’s case has not yet adjusted to a new environment. Yamimoto needs final year of junior for physical maturation and one year of playing against professionals in the AHL to confirm he can adapt. He has to play in the top two lines. The other two would be able to play in third or fourth line role while gainingPro experience. In Yamamoto’s case you have boom orbust. With the other two there is more room for growth ( size matters).

I’m very excited about both Safin and Maksimov but I don’t agree that they should be anywhere near Yamamoto as far as prospect list rankings.

There is a reason that Yamamoto was drafted 22nd overall and Safin and Maksimov were 4th and 5th round picks.

I think that both Safin and Maksimov are very good picks for where they were chosen and both have very nice top 6 ceilings – they both have size, speed and a great shot but they are miles away from the NHL. Both will be back in junior next year and then will likely need a couple years of pro development before they are NHL ready and, frankly, as excited as I am for both these players, if one of them becomes an every day NHL player, it would have to be considered a successful draft. There is a great chance that neither play 100 NHL games.

They are having very nice draft plus 1 years (in particular Safin, just getting acclimated to North America and leading the Q in shot) but they are miles away.

121. OriginalPouzar says:

Boys are 3-1-1 in their last 5 and playing better hockey.

PP is now 12th in the league (well, before tonight) and they’ve move up to 24th in goals scored.

Nope, it won’t be as easy against the Blues, that’s for sure, but I don’t think the offensive explosion last game was a one-off. All the metrics have pointed to a break out and I believe they will go on a bit of a run.

The Blues have 3 of the top 10 point getters in the NHL so their is some firepower on both sides.

A win would be great as the next four on the road are all “winnable” games.

They have the opportunity to put themselves in a playoff position by month’s end!

I assume Cammalleri will be in the lineup and the assumption is, with Khaira playing 2 really solid games, Pak will be the guy coming out. Of course Khaira got banged up last game and there was no practice today so we aren’t sure if he’s hurt or not.

Looking for another dominant performance where the ice is tiled the right way.

Go Oilers!

122. OriginalPouzar says:

Really looking forward to this game tonight and getting 2 points.

2 points would mean the Oil are 4-1-1 in their last 6, kind of on a roll, and set up nicely for the four game trip that has winnable games.

Go Oilers!

123. Pouzar says:

Blues come in on a 2 game losing streak so they will be hungry.
    They are top 10 possession/PDO team which is a wonderful combo for them.
    Hopefully the Oiler Meat Regression continues and we get invited to the PDO dance.

GO OILERS!!!!!!!!!

124. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Benson finishes with 3 assists and 5 shots in a 4-2 win.

4-8-12pts in 8 games.

Nice numbers coming off that layoff.

125. Todd Macallan says:

Pouzar,

I believe it’s in only 8 games, so even better!

I was very happy with this pick originally and feel it is the same sort of home run swing that is lauded by those who love Safin/Maksimov (a group to which I also belong). The only difference is in the risk being derived from health issues and not questions around consistency and/or ability to adapt to the NA game.

126. Pouzar says:

Todd Macallan:
    Pouzar,

I believe it’s in only 8 games, so even better!

Yes you are 100% correct DUH! Thx

127. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:
    Blues come in on a 2 game losing streak so they will be hungry.
    They are top 10 possession/PDO team which is a wonderful combo for them.

GO OILERS!!!!!!!!!

They have three players in the top 10 in scoring (as of a couple days ago) – some high end talent going head to head tonight.

Should be a fun game.

Oilers should be hungry as well – confidence and they can see a playoff position within their sights.

128. hags9k says:

Oh yeah that’s right, daylight savings change! hahaha

Carry on. Go Riders!

129. elgruntus says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Melvis,

OK – more like 20 minutes…

Also google “Rita Coolidge and Layla” for more fascinating back story to an all time classic

130. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

This Gretzky toaster thing is cringetastic.

131. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

Melvis is the most interesting man in the Tide.