The Edmonton Oilers are 3-1-1 in their last five games and every journey has to begin with that first step. After five weeks elevator shaft falling, perhaps the tumblers clicked and there’s a brand new day. We’ll know by the end of the month, it’s no easy road. McDavid’s line, Nuge’s line, Talbot and good special teams are the key. Cammalleri arrives soon, possibly tonight.
The special Lowetide offer is here. New material today.
- New Lowetide: Oilers No. 5 Prospect Winter 2017: Tyler Benson.
- Lowetide: Analyzing the Mike Cammalleri trade.
- Jonathan Willis: Kris Russell and getting value from that contract.
- Lowetide: Plenty to be gained from a losing season, but it takes some balls.
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 1 Prospect Winter 2017: Kailer Yamamoto
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 2 Prospect Winter 2017: Jesse Puljujarvi
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 3 Prospect Winter 2017: Ethan Bear
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 4 Prospect Winter 2017: Caleb Jones
- Lowetide: Peter Chiarelli’s trades.
- Special Offer
- Oilers in November 2015: 3-4-1, goal differential -1
- Oilers in November 2016: 2-5-1, goal differential -9
- Oilers in November 2017: 4-3-1, goal differential +4
G9 in 2015-16 was a 1-0 loss to the Washington Capitals and last year it was a 4-2 loss to the Los Angeles Kings. God, no wonder I kept quoting Edmund Fitzgerald lyrics every November. Sheesh! Very important to post a strong number this month, and as their are 16 games, a win total of eight or nine is possible (although I have projected seven). Can this team gain more ground in November?
AFTER 18, YEAR OVER YEAR
- Oilers 15-16: 6-12-0, goal differential -11
- Oilers 16-17: 9-8-1, goal differential -1
- Oilers 17-18: 7-9-2, goal differential -7
G19 in 2015-16 was a 4-3 OT loss to Chicago and last year a 5-2 win over Dallas courtesy a McDavid hat trick. That win over the Stars ended a miserable run for last season’s team. A win tonight for the Oilers and I’m going to stop doing prep for draft articles!
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM NOVEMBER
- At home to:
Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Detroit (Expected: 2-1-0) (Actual 1-2-0)
- On the road to:
NYI, New Jersey, NYR, Washington(Expected: 1-2-1) (Actual: 2-1-1)
- At home to:
Vegas,St. Louis (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual: 1-0-0)
- On the road to: Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
- At home to: Arizona, Toronto (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
- Overall expected result: 7-7-2, 16 points in 16 games
- Current results: 4-3-1, nine points in eight games
Eight games left in the month and 15 days to do it. Road mostly, I have it 3-4-1 for this Edmonton team now through the end of the month. That would put the club 10-13-3, not good enough. That January+ schedule is much easier but Edmonton needs to stay within striking distance. Important two weeks ahead.
OILERS POSSIBLE LINEUP
- It’s good to see five (now six) men posting over 2.00/60 at 5×5 scoring.
- I don’t know what the lines will look like, but will guess Mike Cammalleri plays with Ryan Strome this evening.
- Yohann Auvitu is a fun, interesting player. It’ll take years for me to get he and Drake Caggiula figured out. One of them needs to change numbers.
- Jesse Puljujarvi needs something good to happen. He arrived like a house on fire, scored, and looked like he owned the world. JP’s body language appears to be a window into his soul, and you could see the other night he’s shaking his head (smile still there!). A goal or an apple tonight should do, need to keep up his confidence.
— EDM Prospect Watch (@EDProspectWatch) November 16, 2017
Benson is healthy and coming on now, this is very encouraging news. His boxcars (8gp, 4-8-12) show real growth and hopefully he plays the entire schedule.
Rumors on twitter about the Oilers still in trade talks, I think it more likely Peter Chiarelli waits to see what the team looks like with Mike Cammalleri. Edmonton is 3-1-1 in its last five games, a win tonight and maybe the club begins to feel some swagger. As for needs, well scoring wingers and righty blue wouldn’t go amiss.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A busy morning, TSN1260 beginning at 10. Scheduled to appear:
- Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey at the Edmonton Journal. Huge night for the Oilers, plus we’ll chat about Tyler Benson.
- Eric Fawcett, Press Basketball. NCAA season underway, how are those Canadians doing?
- Rob Vollman, NHL.com & ESPN. Cammalleri trade, Kucherov outer marker, Vegas G spot.
- Frank Seravalli, TSN. Are the Oilers turning north, and how good is Edmonton’s U24 core?
10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!