AHL Game 13: Condors at Heat

The 5-6-1 Bakersfield Condors are on the road to powerhouse Stockton (8-4-1) tonight to take on the Heat. Bakersfield is getting some (Keegan Lowe) players back while awaiting the return (Ethan Bear) of others.

CONDORS TONIGHT

• The Oilers have Jesse Puljujarvi, Anton Slepsyshev and Brad Malone right now, meaning opportunity for some different names.
  • This Bakersfield team needs centers. I keep saying it, don’t know why, because it’s obvious and pointing out the obvious over and over is a waste. Still, centers. Need some.
  • Joe Gambardella moves around a lot, suspect he’s better on the wing than at center. If he was good at center, they’d keep him there.
  • Who would be the next forward recalled? My guess is Ty Rattie, meaning the answer is Patrick Russell.
  • Caleb Jones is -11 in twelve games. I’m encouraged he is getting Dillon Simpson tonight, Simpson is the team’s best defenseman. You want Jones to gain confidence and flourish, he was forced into some tough situations with an inexperienced partner early in the year. Can’t fault the coach, injuries overwhelmed the roster.
  • Ethan Bear is missing another game, now five in a row.

Updates throughout the evening, I’ll also be checking college and junior scores.

42 Responses to "AHL Game 13: Condors at Heat"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Starting to get a bit worried that Bear’s concussion may be serious but that is just my speculation based on him missing this much time.

Chad Butcher was loaned to Wichita earlier in the week – he’s come back down to earth after a strong camp and early start.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Most of the non-pro prospects are in action tonight. Looking forward to refreshing box scores.

I wish there was a CHL package as opposed to one for each of the theee leagues.

With the two closest prospect in the “Dub”, I thought about purchasing that one but so many games start at 8 which doesn’t work with my 330 am alarm.

3. Pouzar says:

James Mirtle‏Verified account
    @mirtle
    19m19 minutes ago

If NHL revenues are as robust as Bettman said today, the salary cap will go way up next summer. Plausibly $80- to $82-million. Pretty interesting.

4. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:
    James Mirtle‏Verified account
    @mirtle19m19 minutes ago

Should be easier to keep Nuge.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Safin with a goal and an assist through 2.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

frjohnk: Should be easier to keep Nuge.

It still depends on what all the RFAs sign for. Shouldn’t be a problem to get the material one’s inked (Benning, Nurse, Strome, Slep, Caggulia) and keep Nuge – still don’t think we can pay Maroon if Nurse gets north of $4M.

7. TheVengeFulOne says:

If slepyshev and caggiula make over 1million, it’s too much. They are one finensional, and not very good at that dimension.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

TheVengeFulOne:

I will reserve judgement as there are 60 plus games left in the season.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Maksimov with a goal through 2.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Samorukov puts up an assist.

11. who says:

TheVengeFulOne:

Yeah right now the only RFA who has earned any kind of a raise is Nurse
    Makes the cap more manageable next year, I guess, if you’re a glass half full kinda guy.

Rattie on the PP, from D Simpson and Downing. 1-1

13. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Nope. Fifty games into cagguilas career and we can call it.

14. stush18 says:

Rattie on the PP, from D Simpson and Downing. 1-1

Do you think he gets recalled this season?

I think the wingers up here are the ones that they are going to invest the season into. Unless one is moved for help, I cant see him ever getting an extended call, or anything more than a paper transaction

stush18: Do you think he gets recalled this season?

I think the Oilers see the RW situation as somewhat solved long term (Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, etc) but Rattie would need a slump/even more injuries to get a call. He’s this year’s Taylor Beck imo.

16. Gerta Rauss says:

Pouzar:
    James Mirtle‏Verified account
    @mirtle19m19 minutes ago

Wonderful news if it comes to pass

An $82M cap would give us some breathing room and keeping Nuge would be a top priority

17. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar: It still depends on what all the RFAs sign for.Shouldn’t be a problem to get the material one’s inked (Benning, Nurse, Strome, Slep, Caggulia) and keep Nuge – still, don’t think we can pay Maroon if Nurse gets north of $4M.

If we don’t make the playoffs. You know PC will be on a short leash. The question is can we win with this lineup being one-year older. I say not. RW will still be a problem and our bottom 6 is mediocre. PC will probably want to bring somebody in more reliable to play RW and better depth at the bottom 6 or potentially go big game hunting. PC is a trader and gambler. The budget is only going to get tighter.

18. deardylan says:

I have been to so many blogs and haven’t seen the community feeling that you have built.

Any idea of how you did it or why it happened? Was it your personal stories, songs, invites, data, passion, your media work or curation of the posts?

About 4 years ago from all the draft pick news surrounding the oilers I joined your community. Took long route Edmonton Journal led me to Cult of Hockey Grading Scores, when the paywall told me I exceeded too many views for the month then I had to find other places. Like Top 25 prospects under 25 and Baggedmilk postgame reviews. Finally found oilerhockey aggregate site and noticed you there.

For me it was your STORIES from your youth and then I usually went straight to comments. Have no idea about the song titles you picked…haha.

Also some special regular contributors you have in comment sections. specially Original Pouzar who seems like a Lowetide in the making. Have you ever met him in person or had him as a guest on your radio show. OP rocks! Who the heck is Pouzar (not the original one)?

Well the last two years has been fun whether Oilers are trending up or down or around. Found my type of community!! Haven’t listened to you on radio or seen you on TV so I can only imagine what you look like. For some reason I see you as Stan Lee of Oilers Comics.

Nuff said.

19. anjinsan says:

So. Chiarelli goes to the media and is disappointed. Aw, poor bumpkin.

Stupidity. Incompetence. Poor vision (abjectly poor vision) as to where the game was and is going. Terrible assessment of high end talent.

Terriblly losing trades. Like loco in the coco. Strike that. There is no like. Loco in the coco.

Boston and now Edmonton. Bloated contracts and hemorrhaged talent.

Can someone imagine Shero trading away Hischier for pennies? Can someone imagine Snow trading away Barzal for Lira? What would Sweeney demand for Carlo? Cacare … latin word Peter might know from Harvard.

20. TheVengeFulOne says:

stush18:
    OriginalPouzar,

Nope. Fifty games into cagguilas career and we can call it.

21. HT Joe says:

flyfish1168: … PC will probably want to bring somebody in more reliable to play RW and better depth at the bottom 6 or potentially go big game hunting.

22. TheVengeFulOne says:

HT Joe: If only we had a legit top-6 RW and some extra depth that could score away from McDavid… it’s not like teams trade those for 3rd liners or salary buyouts or anything…

We have tons of depth. Rattie is playing in the A right now. That is how much depth we have. You’re fake news.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

TheVengeFulOne: I agree with you, but at the same time you have to question whether he should be learning in the NHL.

I think he his an NHL player – his offence is middling and may always be, however, he can skate at an NHL level and when healthy can use his tenacity for benefit at the NHL level.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

Allright – workout #1 is done and post-workout nutrition is crushed.

Time for a bit of Saturday morning legal work, followed by some groceries, some food prep, some treadmill sprints and then get showered up and ready for some great afternoon hockey!

Go Oilers!!!!!!

25. flyfish1168 says:

We wait for the trade deadline and then the summer. This is when PC will do his damage.

26. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

deardylan,

– I liked this post! Lowetide is awesome

– And while Dylan is at it: Lowetide: we get the Lowe part, but why tide? As in you hoped the tide would take Lowe away?

27. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

Gerta Rauss: keeping Nuge

BnP says Chia has orders to not trade Nuge:

For all those fans worried about an RNH trade Chirelli has orders not to move him….APG

My new twit app is a suck pit – it only copies the tweet, not the twitterer…er… Thanks Windoze! That was from Tracy Lane.

So I guess Ottawa can’t have Nuge, even for Karlsson!

28. Derek says:

Twinkle in your Father’s JDî: BnP says Chia has orders to not trade Nuge:

So I guess Ottawa can’t have Nuge, even for Karlsson!

If you have faith in the man, let him do his job. If not, fire him.

Katz’ Edmonton Oilers are a dysfunctional lot.

29. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

Derek: If not, fire him.

This could be considered Chia’s first warning, or maybe second.

The thing about a firing, is that there then needs to commence a hiring. Looking around, I’m not certain there are many potential candidates out there at the mo. Chayka might be available soon.

Chayka all ovah!

Your next GM is Gretzky. Be careful what you wish for.

31. Jethro Tull says:

Your next GM is Gretzky. Be careful what you wish for.

Paulina?

32. flyfish1168 says:

Your next GM is Gretzky. Be careful what you wish for.

this site has created the Lowtide Army. We are the unofficial GM. 😉

33. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

Jethro Tull: Paulina?

That’s what I’m hoping for. Maybe I’ll eventually be able to go left.

34. Pouzar says:

Jethro Tull: Paulina?

LMAO

Thx…at work…needed that.

35. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

Pouzar: at work

BOOOOOOO!!!

36. Pouzar says:

Twinkle in your Father’s JDî: BOOOOOOO!!!

Get Off My Lawn!

37. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

Pouzar: Get Off My Lawn!

steps in dog shit

*shakes fist*

38. HT Joe says:

Your next GM is Gretzky. Be careful what you wish for.

Then again, the guy we currently have has been fleeced a few times by an ex-Islander… so maybe I’m being unfair to the Oilers test-driving new ex-Oiler GMs.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

HT Joe: If Katz hires another unqualified ex-Oiler as the GM, he deserves for McDavid to demand a trade.

40. geowal says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    deardylan,

– I liked this post!Lowetide is awesome

Ron Lowe’s old nickname

41. HT Joe says:

OriginalPouzar: I believe the reference is to our current assistant GM, Keith Gretzky – not Wayne

Oh man.. I missed that. Thank you for clarifying!

42. deardylan says:

geowal: Ron Lowe’s old nickname

Kinger_Oil.redux says:
    November 18, 2017 at 6:50 am
    deardylan,

– I liked this post! Lowetide is awesome

Thanks Kinger_Oil.Redux and Geowal (for the official answer)!

Kinger, Funny you asked that question.

At that very moment I was just reading a quote mentioned by Thomas Friedman in his book called “Thank You For Being Late” page 276…

“As Warren Buffett says, “You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out!”

Haha! 🙂

Maybe that could be one of the many possible answers? Would love to hear the official reason too!