G20 2017-18: Oilers at Stars

I was five years old, it was a sunny morning in late spring. My brother was in school, my Mom was in the house, the one my Father built just before I was born in Whonnock, British Columbia. Address rural route, your get your mail in town. I would be going to Thornhill School that fall.

This particular day, I was playing by the road allowance at the end of our long driveway. My dog (Colby, he was a black lab) and me, hanging out. Every once in awhile, someone (probably lost) would drive by and I’d have a good long look at them before going about my business. In those years, I could identify a vehicle pretty well, although my Dad and brother were the real experts.

I remember the day because of my Grandpa and his horse, Tom. When I was five Tom and Colby were my best friends.

My day was pretty much planned. Outside until lunch, then play in the backyard until 3pm. At 3, Mom would call me in and we’d watch “The Edge of Night” while she had a cigarette with all of the curtains drawn so no one would see her (that’s why I had to go in). By 3:45, the bus would drop off my brother and we’d play until supper.

But on this morning, something was different. My Grandpa had taken Tom and the heavy logging chains up the hill across from our house. They were clearing trees like mad in those years (for housing) and Tom and Grandpa would haul them to the sawmill (it was between our house and Grandpa’s) every day.

I kept hearing this thundering sound. It was like a truck engine and I could feel the ground rumble, and Colby was acting very strange. Barking and actually angry. The rumble kept getting louder, I stayed just shy of the road, completely unaware of the coming danger.

Maybe one minute before Tom hit the road, I heard my Grandpa’s voice in a way I’d never heard it before. He was screaming my name, in a high pitched, excited way, and then something else I didn’t understand (looking back, suspect it was something like “get the hell out of the way!”). Colby and I ran over and got into Dad’s truck (it was parked at the end of the driveway, to the side and out of the way).

Tom had been spooked and took off like a bat out of hell down that makeshift logging road towards our house with a full load of logs. By the time he turned south all of the logs had fallen away, Tom was carrying chains and running so fast it scared the hell out of me. A couple of minutes later my Grandpa came running down the hill, looking half past dead and white as a sheet. He checked on me and kept chasing Tom. He ran all the way to Mr. Muth’s house. Grandpa caught Tom, calmed him down, and that was a helluva morning. Later that day, I fed Tom all of Grandpa’s apples I could find. Thought it was the least I could do.

I thought of that moment yesterday, when trying to bring together my thoughts about this team. I think something is not quite right, something has this team spooked. Can’t put my finger on it. I know they don’t have the horses, but it feels like it’s something more, something a trade or recall can’t fix. Injuries? Coaching? Don’t know.  The numbers say this thing will turn north. My advice? Feed them apples.

The Edmonton Oilers all-time record against the Dallas Stars is 49-60-24. All losses (in my mind, anyway) involved watching Mike Modano fly past Oilers defensemen dressed in cement shoes, and all Oilers forwards flattened by Derian Hatcher in the public square. God bless you, Todd Marchant, Curtis Joseph, Doug Weight, Bill Guerin, Ryan Smyth and all you boys, someday Dallas hockey fans will know the pain of being hammered senseless by the mighty Oilers. Not today, though.

THE ATHLETIC!

The special Lowetide offer is here. New material today.

PIKE’S PEAK, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in November 2015: 3-5-1, goal differential -2
  • Oilers in November 2016: 2-6-1, goal differential -11
  • Oilers in November 2017: 4-4-1, goal differential +1

G10 in November 2015 was a 4-1 loss to Carolina and a year later the Oilers were winning 5-2 over the Dallas Stars (hatty for 97). No matter what happens today, this year’s Oilers will remain the most successful November Edmonton team under Todd McLellan.

AFTER 20, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 6-12-1, goal differential -12
  • Oilers 16-17: 10-8-1, goal differential +2
  • Oilers 17-18: 7-10-2, goal differential -10

G20 fall 2015 saw Edmonton romp over NJD 5-1, and last year it was 5-0 Oilers over Chicago. This year’s Oilers have more in common with the 2015-16 Oilers team than last year’s and this road trip is going to hammer this thing home one way or another.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM NOVEMBER

• At home to: Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Detroit (Expected: 2-1-0) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • On the road to: NYI, New Jersey, NYR, Washington (Expected: 1-2-1) (Actual: 2-1-1)
  • At home to: Vegas, St. Louis (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual: 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Arizona, Toronto (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-7-2, 16 points in 16 games
  • Current results: 4-4-1, nine points in nine games

I honestly don’t think there’s a game on this road trip where you can absolutely pronounce the Oilers as the favorite. My “best bets” for wins in the next week are Dallas (they are slumping) and Buffalo (they are Buffalo). If they lost all five I would be surprised but it wouldn’t be the biggest shock in the world. Everyone has their own opinions about what’s wrong with this team (mine is ‘they don’t have the horses’) but it is impossible to argue that this team is firing on all pistons.

LOGIC AND REASON

You can learn a lot from Oilers Nerd Alert. As difficult as this season has been, and as possible as it is that regression occurs after the season is lost, the numbers suggest this team is better than their won-loss record. Now is not a time to panic, based on numbers.

It’s very difficult to get our minds around this statement: The losing that happened 2006-16 is different in one important way from the losing we are seeing today. This is a good team, although it may not be a playoff team.

LOSING RUNWAY

Peter Chiarelli made a trade this week, one of those smaller items he does well. Mike Cammalleri played well in the first game and arrives at a point where a line shuffle is in the ether. Where will Cammalleri land in a shuffle? Don’t know.

Connor McDavid has been effective with Leon Draisaitl and Patrick Maroon over a long period of time. I think Cammalleri might be a reasonable option the top line, preferable to running young Jesse Puljujarvi out there with McDavid this season.

POSSIBLE LINES

• Patrick Maroon—Connor McDavid—Mike Cammalleri
  • Milan Lucic—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Leon Draisaitl
  • Drake Caggiula—Ryan Strome—Jesse Puljujarvi
  • Jujhar Khaira—Mark Letestu—Zack Kassian

I wouldn’t run the lines as above. I would run Leon on RW. When Anton Slepyshev returns, I think Todd McLellan might have enough talent to run Leon at center. Until then? Stay the course. It isn’t sexy.

WOULD YOU?

• Bob McKenzie:  “The Vegas Golden Knights are getting calls on pending UFA wingers James Neal and David Perron. It’s been believed that they would move them at the trade deadline. If someone were to “blow their socks off,” they might consider moving now, though that is not likely to happen. There are lots of teams looking for help up front. GM George McPhee could also be open to talking to Neal and/or Perron about a contract extension.”

Peter Chiarelli can probably reach out and help this team today, but he would have to trade Jesse Puljujarvi or Darnell Nurse to do it. Is that a good idea?

My answer: I would make a deal. I would not trade Jesse Puljujarvi for a pending UFA but I would deal him for a younger, established NHL player under control. Seriously. By the way, I’d do that if the team had a record of 10-7-2 as well.

449 Responses to "G20 2017-18: Oilers at Stars"

« Older Comments
  1. OriginalPouzar says:

who:
    This team is not a Stanley Cup favorite anymore, never was in my opinion. We are at least 2 years away from that point. But they are not as bad as they look right now.
    I think they surprised Chia a bit last year and now are taking the dreaded step back. Good thing he signed Macdavid and Drai to the max extensions last summer. They might be a bit more hesitant to commit to 8 years right now.
    Biggest difference from last year is a drop off in play from some of our key players.
    Goal-Talbot has been mediocre at best so far. The Oilers will not win consistently without better goaltending.
    Defense –Sekera out means they are missing their best dman from the regular season last year. Klefbom is playing worse defensively than he did at the start of last season which wasn’t good. Has taken a big step back from his play at the end of last season. Nurse has taken a step forward but that doesn’t make up for the loss of Sekeraand the deterioration of Klefbom.
    Forwards –Yes Macdavid is on the same scoring pace as last year but a lot of other NHL forwards are on that same pace or better. He is still the best reason to watch hockey but to my eye he doesn’t seem as consistently dominant as he did at times last year. Like a lot of young skilled forwards he has a lot to learn about defensive zone coverage.
    Drai has become more of a stationary winger rather than the dominant center Chia envisioned. He is getting his points but this player needs to be in the middle of the ice driving play.
    In short, I don’t think this is a personel issue. I think this is a performance and deployment issue. Either way I think this team will have to wait for some of their young players and prospects to mature before they are ready to challenge for a cup.

I agree with almost all of this post and its wonderful accurate.

That loss of Sekera was/is material as I thought it would be and maybe moreso – it has made Klefbom and Russell both worse.

McDavid is getting his points but he has simply not been a dominant player consistently – if he is going to earn his new cap hit that starts next year putting up points is not enough – he needs to be a dominant force each and every game.

Talbot – I really hope this is just a one-off year (or a one-off two month stretch).

2. GMB3 says:

JimmyV1965: If you think Drai and Ebs are anyway similiar, you’re not paying attention.

Ahh but the numbers when signing both contracts are pretty similar. You probably loved Ebs back then, like every single Oiler fan at the time. Both of them were unsustainably lucky and Eberle wasn’t even playing with a generational talent.

3. thehop says:

OriginalPouzar,

What is your expectation of McDavid?

Last week his skating wasn’t generational.

Today it’s a three point performance, when your team shit the bed, and something is missing.

Lay it out there for me because to my eye, he is the only reason the tire fire that is the Edmonton Oilers aren’t sitting in last place.

4. Lewis Grant says:

frjohnk: After 20 games we are 4 points out of 8th. Could be 6 points by tonight though.

Flames and Sharks both have a lot of games in hand. By the time each of them get to 20 games, they’ll both be at least 7-8 points ahead. Sharks likely 10+. I can’t see us catching any of the Kings/Sharks/Flames, or one of the 5 best teams in the Central. (Plus Anaheim is ready for a correction soon too.)

5. Scungilli Slushy says:

GMB3: Did Chiarelli have any pro hockey experience? Chayka took over a terrible team. Chia took over a team with significantly more talent, and we are just as close to Arizona as we are a playoff spot. You know who had a lot of professional hockey experience? Craig Mactavish. And Kevin Lowe. Stan Bowman never played any high level hockey, and he has 3 cups as a GM.

Chiarelli didn’t have much more time as an assistant GM but was a lot older which I think makes a difference. Chayka must be very bright and persuasive to have risen up in both companies he’s worked for, but I’m not confident a really young guy has enough life experience for that level, especially if he is not enough much experienced in hockey in some way.

We’ll see. The biggest part of being a GM is deal making which relies on connections and respect from peers. Maybe JC will hang in there long enough to pull some coups other than eating bad contracts for draft picks, and will be smart enough to suss out good scouts.

It would definitely make him an outlier.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

thehop:
    OriginalPouzar,

What is your expectation of McDavid?

Last week his skating wasn’t generational.

7. GMB3 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Sorry I didn’t mean pro playing experience. Chia played much higher level hockey at Harvard and practiced as a lawyer before joining the Sens.

It would definitely make him an outlier.

HT Joe:
    McDavid pots another 3 points, so he’s now at 25 points in 20 games, good for a tie for 4th in league scoring.

Oilers still 3rd last in the league… this is going to be a frustrating season for the young man.

#ItsTaylorHallsFault

9. Scungilli Slushy says:

GMB3: I honestly think he’s made quite a few acquisitions that were generally applauded. Hjarlmasson, getting Demers for nothing. Anti Raanta was a similar risk to the one Chia took on Talbot. Keller is looking to be a steal of a pick. Stepan is a nice pick up.

I agree and we’ll see how it goes but so far not so good. He might have bought declining players or the wrong side of the D pair. Or bought workhorses that have good stats when he needs a thoroughbred or two.

OriginalPouzar: I expect him to be the best player on the ice game after game and, in fact, for the most part, shift after shift.

11. McSorley33 says:

OriginalPouzar,

OP,

Miles away….we are days away from US Thanksgiving.

I appreciate your optimism.

Insert Bill Parcells quote.

Besides Sek, we have been remarkably healthy. Imagine if Connor misses a few games….how many goals do we score?

This team is too slow and way too thin upfront. This was discussed a lot over the summer.

12. Bag of Pucks says:

Disappointing loss. Thought they played well enough to win, but the margins for error are razor thin and the mental errors are killing them.

At least MacLellan finally moved Draisaitl. That’s progress. Wonder how much of that is trying to match up against Spezza and Hanzal?

System wise, it seems like the D has the green light to make WAY too many low percentage stretch passes. This team gave up possession in the neutral zone a ton today doing that. Still believe this team is substantially better if the Fs come back deeper to facilitate short quick passes on the breakout.

Digging themselves a mighty big hole. Can’t get Reg back soon enough.

One of the problems with this coaching staff is that it is “inbred”. The game has left them in the dust…er…the game is slowly pulling away from them. McLellan hasn’t brought in bright young outside voices to challenge him. The old boys club is still hanging around upstairs, even though perhaps not directly in power. (And with rumours of Bob Nicholson taking over the IIHF after Fasel retires…)

It is impossible to fix the forward lines of the Oilers without accepting the fact that Lucic is no longer a top six player.

It is difficult for Draisaitl to drive a line from the wing.

The coaching staff had a really poor plan for training camp and the start of the season. It was dementor-esque. The Yamamoto distraction went on a full month too long.

McDavid plays too many minutes…which means he tries conserving energy on defense…leads to things like the back-breaking Benn goal today.

The amount of McDavid’s ice time is not McDavid’s fault, just like the incomprehensible decision to play Draisaitl on wing is not Draisaitl’s.

The Oilers’ breakout systems are archaic.

#ItsTaylorHallsFault

14. Scungilli Slushy says:

Bag of Pucks:

Digging themselves a mighty big hole. Can’t get Reg back soon enough.

I agree about the mistakes but not many teams keep winning when their starting goalie isn’t making big saves timely. And letting in soft goals early.

I’m not trashing Talbot but he hasn’t been able to put a string of ‘strong’ games together. It’s hard on a young struggling team if the trust isn’t there that each screw up gets buried.

As I said it sewers most teams, it used to sewer us before he came and it is again now that he’s struggling. I think he’ll recover but it’s time to rest him. Before it’s too late.

15. GMB3 says:

Scungilli Slushy: I agree and we’ll see howit goes but so far not so good. He might have bought declining players or the wrong side of the D pair. Or bought workhorses that have good stats when he needs a thoroughbred or two.

Well I think Stan Bowman got some value out of Hjarlmasson because from what I’ve heard he’s been disappointing. They were my pick to make a big jump this year and so far that pick has not aged well. Raanta has been so hit or miss. They’re starting to play a bit better in recent games though, haven’t had much for goaltending all year which probably makes things look worse than they really are, much like us.

16. GMB3 says:

Lowetide: Your words on Connor McDavid tell us more about you than they do about Connor McDavid.

GMB3: I honestly think he’s turning over the puck like he has last few games because he’s been slightly under the weather and is pressing so hard to try and help this team win. In my opinion that’s one of the reasons why Hall was viewed as a liability defensively, trying to do too much sometimes. The guy is only 20 years old and his two way game will improve by miles

18. TheVengeFulOne says:

I think that will just about do it. I don’t see us passing LA, Calgary, SJS, and ANA. Hopefully this is a lesson to Chia that an NHL player isn’t just someone who plays in the NHL.

19. GMB3 says:

Lowetide: He’s probably trying too hard. Also, he has the puck A LOT and that will impact. He’s still learning, it’s easy to forget how young he is.

I’ll take that any day over a guy who packs it in. He’ll be fine. Better than fine

20. texmex says:

I haven’t read any of the comments, so I apologize if I’m being repetitive.

I was at the game. Mcdavid didn’t blow me away like I was hoping but he can’t do that every game. He did have three points, but his defense was not good. Maybe he was used to Drai playing down low? Something wasn’t right.

Talbot was swimming all game. He didn’t look comfortable all game.

Our D has zero offense. The puck would come to the point, but there was zero threat of getting a dangerous shot through.

Passed up multiple shot opportunities as well.

Oh well, another season down the tubes. Hopefully chia can sell a few players at the deadline and we can retool in the offseason.

21. OmJo says:

Gotta love how Spector took a shot at Hall before basically blaming an allegedly sick McDavid for the loss today.

What a tool.

22. sliderule says:

The oilers are taking too many penalties.Second highest in NHL.
    Many of penalties are undisciplined and I would say Maroon and Kassian have been the worst culprits and Nurse followed their lead this PM.
    Tmac complains about it but ultimately he is responsible as he has to be able to control his players.
    The oilers have played brutal hockey at home.That too is Tmacs problem.He has to motivate the players as to how important it is for them to prepare themselves.If that means forgoing a night out to be your best they have to be made to buy in…
    When I see the undisciplined play on ice I wonder as to how disciplined they are off the ice.
    If TMac doesn’t get a handle on this it could cost him his job this season.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m not sure what that means?

Please do let me know what that says about me.

He signed a contract that has a higher cap hit, by $2M, than any other player in the league.

Sure it doesn’t kick in until next year but is it unreasonable to expect him to be the best player in the league? He’s paid as such – by a landslide – yes, starting next year.

He’s getting his points over the last few weeks but his line has been getting sawed off in goals and scoring chances over that time.

He’s fifth in the league (or whatever it is) in scoring but he’s not the best player in the league this year and there are games where he’s not the best player in the game.

That’s below my expectations for this player.

I’ve seen him go through stretches (last year) where he is dominating the game, shift after shift after shift, and doing this for stretches of a few weeks.

He did that in the Calgary game and has not done it since.

I’ve seen him be better.

I expect him to be better because I know he can be.

24. hags9k says:

Hopefully Talbot has a hot stretch soon to keep the team in the mix. It starts with him. The softies have been a consistent theme through the losses this year.

This group is not scoring enough to overcome any freebies against.

25. JimmyV1965 says:

The biggest problem today was the utter inability of our dman to exit the defensive zone with control. It didn’t seem like anyone could make a pass today. Russell was just awful. Even with time and space he couldn’t get the puck out.

OP: I used to play APBA Baseball when I was young, my favorite player was Johnny Bench’s 1970 player card.

I loved it because he crushed every time, rain or shine. Every time he came to bat something good happened!

Connor McDavid is not an APBA card, has the flu, is 20 years old and is the captain of a team that is playing badly. Oh, by the way, the media is writing highly critical items on him as we speak.

Perhaps it is within us to allow for moments of struggle and the ebb and flow of a season. Perhaps McDavid will lead this team to greatness once he and everyone else is healthy. I think it’s possible to have poor games, weeks and even months while also being a great player. I do not think it’s reasonable to expect a player “to be the best player on the ice game after game and, in fact, for the most part, shift after shift.”

Life doesn’t work that way. APBA does.

27. JimmyV1965 says:

JimmyV1965: I have to agree with this. I like the moves Arizona made in the offseason. Thought they would be much better. One thing I think should never happen is rookie GMs hiring rookie coaches.

Technically, Tocchet isn’t a rookie coach, and he is one with a big Toronto media cheering section, like someone we all knew and “loved”…

29. JimmyV1965 says:

Two goals on the first two shots again. We must be close to five or six games now where the opposition has scored on one of the first two shots. I wouldn’t even classify the first goal today as a shot. Talbot has had some great games, but lots of stinkers too.

30. JimmyV1965 says:

godot10: Technically, Tocchet isn’t a rookie coach, andhe is one with a big Toronto media cheering section, like someone we all knew and “loved”…

Chayka is not technically a rookie either, but you get the gist.

31. flyfish1168 says:

Hi LT

You wrote about Kirill Maksimov earlier today pertaining to the idea it is possible that he gets 30 goals this year. I was wondering if you know how well he skates or why he fell to us in the 5th round.

flyfish1168:
    Hi LT

33. OmJo says:

Question: do shorthanded goals count towards a players +/-? Or are they like PP goals?

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, those scored against get a minus and those on the ice for the scoring team get a plus.

35. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar:

Thank you.

36. deardylan says:

Lowetide!

Brother your story created a good horror TV show in my mind. Scared me just reading it. Could hear the rumbling coming. Thought somebody would be killed by landslide of giant logs. I was so surprised no one did. Phew. Nobody was hurt although that memory seems so fresh like it happened just a few hours ago. Vivid details! Yes something rumbling in the background of Oilers so we might need to find those BC apples ready to console the ashen-faced head coach and shell shocked GM. Hope they read your story in the dressing room and figure out how to get the logs fastened into place! #PlayoffsAreNow

Also clicked on your Thornhill school since I grew up to a town called Thornhill. Incredible eye opening article- especially that the families of Japanese that were evicted from their lands, (then taken away, property sold and taken by government and interned in POW camps) Didn’t hear much about this growing up and when I looked up the whole story on Wikipedia I was shocked. Canadian history so full of surprises that I didn’t read about in my own history books.

Thanks for sharing your personal stories and linking them to the present day (and Oilers)—I do believe it it is what helps facilitate this community of storyreaders and storytellers. Also nice mix of qualitative (stories, feelings and that powerful Lowetide Intution! ) and quantitative (data, logic, stats) for both sides of brains and the four personality types (if you believe in personality types!). #DISC

Cheers from Mermaid Port, Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh

deardylan:
    Lowetide!

Brother your story created a good horror TV show in my mind.Scared me just reading it.Could hear the rumbling coming.Thought somebody would be killed by landslide of giant logs. I was so surprised no one did. Phew. Nobody was hurt although that memory seems so fresh like it happened just a few hours ago. Vivid details!Yes something rumbling in the background of Oilers so we might need to find those BC apples ready to console the ashen-faced head coach and shell shocked GM. Hope they read your story in the dressing roomand figure out how to get the logs fastened into place!#PlayoffsAreNow

Also clicked on your Thornhill school since I grew up to a town called Thornhill.Incredible eye opening article- especially that the families of Japanese that were evicted from their lands, (then taken away, property sold and taken by government and interned in POW camps)Didn’t hear much about this growing up and when I looked up the whole story on Wikipedia I was shocked. Canadian history so full of surprises that I didn’t read about in my own history books.

Thanks for sharing your personal stories and linking them to the present day (and Oilers)—I do believe it it is what helps facilitate this community of storyreaders and storytellers.Also nice mix of qualitative (stories, feelings and that powerful Lowetide Intution! ) and quantitative (data, logic, stats) for both sides of brains and the four personality types (if you believe in personality types!).#DISC

Cheers from Mermaid Port, Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh

Glad you enjoyed it! My Dad’s next door neighbor was Japanese when he enlisted for WW2 in Vancouver. They went in together, Dad never saw him again. When he got back his place was fine and the neighbor’s house was occupied by a young couple. Dad always said he was probably sent to a camp in the interior and would have had to rebuild his life after the war. Canada.

38. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: I have read everything from average to above average in regard to Maksimov. Usually in reading scouting reports and talking to folks, if it isn’t flagged (as it was with Rob Schremp or the third Strome brother) he’s going to be fine. Not a burner but it won’t hold him back.

Thanks for the information. I hope Mr. Pelletier works with him and he becomes an even better skater. He seems to have ideal NHL size and scoring ability.

39. flyfish1168 says:

Yamamoto with an apple

40. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson with a goal and an assist through a period and a half.

41. flyfish1168 says:

Canucks looking really good against the Blues 🙁

42. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

flyfish1168: 🙁

That’s what you get for watching the Nucks.

43. thehop says:

OriginalPouzar,

You’re expectations are wildly out of sync with reality sir.

All I can say is..

If you think Connor McDavid is the issue at this point in time..

You should reevaluate your perspective.

Respectfully,

The Hop

44. thehop says:

I’ve had too many beers tonight.

Original Pouzar:

I love your optimism.

I’ve been lurking and posting here for a very long time and frankly, I’ve been looking and praying for someone like you for a very long time. You are an amazing poster here and I hope you stick around as most have here.

I will never forget the day the Oilers won the lottery to draft CMD. I screamed like a girl for two hours and lost my voice. I will fondly remember it as one of the greatest days of my life. Especially after suffering through a decade after cheering for the Cleveland Browns of the NHL.

You should know that I will defend this player, especially after a three point performance, TO MY DEATH.

This team is sick, literally and figuratively. And at the risk of sounding obtuse, I hope your position on the best player in the league changes over time even though he is fourth or fifth in scoring despite being the Captain of (once again) the shittiest teams in the NHL.

45. Bobcaygeon says:

godot10:
    One of the problems with this coaching staff is that it is “inbred”.The game has left them in the dust…er…the game is slowly pulling away from them.McLellan hasn’t brought in bright young outside voices to challenge him.The old boys club is still hanging around upstairs, even though perhaps not directly in power.(And with rumours of Bob Nicholson taking over the IIHF after Fasel retires…)

It is difficult for Draisaitl to drive a line from the wing.

The coaching staff had a really poor plan for training camp and the start of the season.It was dementor-esque.The Yamamoto distraction went on a full month too long.

The Oilers’ breakout systems are archaic.

#ItsTaylorHallsFault

Lucic will be the down fall of Chiarelli, a toxic contract. The next GM will have to manage that mess, play him or stick him on the 4th line at 4 minutes a game until he asks out.( what other option is there)

I agree that McDavid is playing too much, but I think his mistakes a more out of frustration with having to carry everyone on the roster not named Draisaitl or Nugent-Hopkins

Honestly though, I think the coaches system is more out of what’s on the roster and what’s not available to the coaches, so they have no choice but to coach a certain way, I’m not sure but its definitely different this year…..

I will say it looks like the defense pounding shots is a coach-able thing, given the make up of the roster this is the most absurd coaching decision they do, pound the shots from the points……the Oilers don’t have good point shooters, the problem is if they miss or they hit shin pads, and the Oilers are down low for looking rebounds, the other teams are transitioning quicker and are much faster than the Oilers forwards, I think its why we are seeing so many odd man rushes.

Again, this might be a dual effort of coaching and roster decisions.

Just one guys opinion

#ItsTaylorHallsFault

46. deardylan says:

thehop,

Love this line…

Original Pouzar:
    I love your optimism.

OP’s a jolly amazing poster, OP’s a jolly good fella, that nobody can deny!

47. OriginalPouzar says:

thehop:
    OriginalPouzar,

You’re expectations are wildly out of sync with reality sir.

All I can say is..

If you think Connor McDavid is the issue at this point in time..

You should reevaluate your perspective.

Respectfully,

The Hop

I never said he was “the issue”. I said I expect him to play better and be more of a dominant force on a consistent basis: (1) because I’ve seen him do it and (2) he signed the richest contract in NHL history that has a cap hit of $2M/season more than any other play (that is, he’s paid like it).

48. OriginalPouzar says:

thehop:
    I’ve had too many beers tonight.

Original Pouzar:

I love your optimism.

Thank you for the words – I appreciate them.

Maybe my expectations are out of whack a bit but, on the other hand, I’ve seen the guy be dominant shift after shift (i.e. the Calgary game this year) and create multiple scoring chances with generational speed and skill game after game for stretches of over a couple of weeks.

I simply haven’t really seen that this year.

In addition, over the last couple of weeks, his line has basically been sawed off by his opposition in terms of goals and scoring chances and, further, in the last two games, there has been a regression in defensive zone play as well as some pretty egregious turnovers.

I do expect better.

Maybe the dominant shift after shift and game after game was too aggresive but I expect him to, generally, be the best player in the game and i’m not so sure we are seeing that.

Perhaps its a team based thing.

49. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto finishes with a lone assist in a 7-1 Chiefs win.

Benson with 2G and 1A (and 5 shots) in a 6-1 Giants win.

Skinner gives up 4 goals in 29 shots in a 5-2 loss.

« Older Comments