G21 2017-18: Oilers at Blues

The St. Louis Blues haven’t yet won a Stanley but have a rich history. Their early years featured two goalies who belong on hockey’s Mount Rushmore (Glenn Hall and Jacques Plante) and the greatest coach in NHL history (Scotty Bowman) figuring out how to keep players off balance and insecure. Pick a name from those early teams and you’ll find a treasured hockey story. Gerry Melnyk played for St. Louis in their first year of expansion, then was traded to Philadelphia. He retired before the start of the 1968-69 season, went into scouting for the Flyers and was instrumental in the drafting of Bobby Clarke. A rich history.

THE ATHLETIC

The special Lowetide offer is here. I’m so pleased that many of you have decided to come over and give it a try, I’ll do my best to keep you reading. The great thing is there are so many great writers you’ll never get a chance to read all the worthwhile articles. Seriously. Four new items this morning and that’s not all you’ll find there!

THE LION IN WINTER, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in November 2015: 3-6-1, goal differential -5
  • Oilers in November 2016: 3-6-1, goal differential -8
  • Oilers in November 2017: 4-5-1, goal differential -3

November Game 10 in 2015-16 was a 4-3 overtime loss to the Detroit Red Wings. Last year it was 5-0 over Chicago as the Oilers were finally turning north for good (or so we thought). Edmonton will be no worse than tied with last year’s team if they lose in regulation this evening.

AFTER 20, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 7-12-1, goal differential -8
  • Oilers 16-17: 11-8-1, goal differential +7
  • Oilers 17-18: 7-11-2, goal differential -13

G20 2015-16 was a tough 1-0 loss to Washington. Last year, it was a 6-3 win over the Colorado Avalanche. Edmonton badly needs a win tonight, all hands on deck and the goalie needs to be as brilliant as Glenn Hall and Jacques Plante were in St. Louis during the expansion era.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM NOVEMBER?

• At home to: Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Detroit (Expected: 2-1-0) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • On the road to: NYI, New Jersey, NYR, Washington (Expected: 1-2-1) (Actual: 2-1-1)
  • At home to: Vegas, St. Louis (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual: 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • At home to: Arizona, Toronto (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-7-2, 16 points in 16 games
  • Current results: 4-5-1, nine points in 10 games

I have tonight as a loss, the Oilers are going to have a tough time with the Blues (who are 7-3-0 in their last 10). You can’t turn a switch and make up for all things, but if the goaltending holds I think Edmonton can begin to recover. The team is now six points behind No. 8 and five points behind No. 13 in the Western Conference. It’s a very bad way.

FORWARDS, LAST 10 GAMES

• It’s always helpful to look at recent numbers and in the case of Oilers forwards some of the “fourth liners” are beginning to bust a move.
  • McLellan sounded frustrated when Anton Slepyshev got hurt again and the numbers suggest our Russian was coming on (well, we knew it but this is more proof) at the time. He is on the trip and could play before the weekend.
  • Connor McDavid, Milan Lucic, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Leon Draisaitl are in the range of where you’d like them.
  • Jujhar Khaira and Drake Caggiula are showing some promise, not enough to establish themselves as bona fide skill options but enough to get regular at-bats.
  • The rest need to pick up the pace. A guy like Patrick Maroon is streaky, so this is going to happen. Mark Letestu is in a massive slump and veterans like Zack Kassian need a little more puck luck.
  • Jesse Puljujarvi needs another point, hope he gets one soon.

DEFENSE, LAST 10 GAMES

• This is sorted by time on ice and it is revealing.
  • Adam Larsson and Darnell Nurse are playing big minutes and have solid Corsi numbers. The top pairing is performing well, despite a lack of experience.
  • Oscar Klefbom and Matt Benning are solid with the puck on their stricks and an adventure without it. I think they would be well suited to third pairing minutes, perhaps asking a lot of two still inexperienced hands.
  • Kris Russell and Eric Gryba are the most often seen third pairing. Russell is losing his grip on a top 4D job, may return to a bigger role when Andrej Sekera returns. What happens if Yohann Auvitu and Gryba play together, and flourish?

TRADE RUMORS

The Blue Jackets are looking for centers and the Sabres are the Sabres, so the list of possibles is long and varied. I’ll have a lash at some names that interest me.

• R Josh Anderson, Columbus. A big winger with good hands, he’s certainly a Chiarelli/McLellan type player. At 23 and with 115 NHL games, he’d be a nice plug-and-play who could be around for some time.
  • L Evander Kane, Buffalo. If PC is of a mind to hit a home run, Kane (along with OEL and Max Pacioretty) might be an ideal target. He’s is playing very well this season.
  • L Sonny Milano, Columbus. Fleet scoring winger still trying to find the range at the NHL level, his name has been attached to the Oilers in the past.
  • RD Rasmus Ristolainen, Buffalo. A long shot for sure but the Oilers have a need and Ristolainen matches with his skill set. I expect the Sabres remain strong on the Finn’s future but you never know.
  • RD David Savard, Columbus. Another player who has been attached to Edmonton over the years, he’s a big defender who has some mobility and can move the puck. Although many believe Edmonton needs wingers (and they do), important to remember Peter Chiarelli didn’t address second-pairing RHD over the summer. With Matt Benning’s struggles, now may be the time.

OHL PROSPECTS

I won’t be talking draft until January but there are some interesting items I track during the early part of the draft year. This is one. The OHL is a brilliant league, more fantastic talent comes from the Ontario league than any other annually. The names listed by Mr. Otten and friends are worth noting.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we’re drunk with guests on TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, The Athletic. We’ll talk about Jon’s article (above) detailing the first 20 games of the season and what ails the Oilers.
  • Lou Korac, NHL.com. The St. Louis Blues are a strong team in the NHL’s toughest division, and are getting more help (Jay Bouwmeester) as some injured players get healthy.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. The CFL season has one game remaining after a fantastic playoff season. Plus, are the Oilers too far behind?
  • Vinny Iyer, The Sporting News. NFL playoff races are coming down to the wire and some very good teams (NFC) will be on the outside looking in.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

588 Responses to "G21 2017-18: Oilers at Blues"

Newer Comments »
  1. OriginalPouzar says:

Last game agains the Blues, just last week, the vibe was pretty good and the Oil had the opportunity to make as tatement against a good team. They failed to do so.

Going in to tonight – the vibe is all about replacing both the GM and the coach. Valid arguments in favor of both scenarios (although I don’t see either happening any time soon, in particular the GM).

Anyways, there is still 3/4 of the season to go an tonight is another opportunity to get the ship righted and I’m looking forward to a solid, solid 60 minute performance by 18 skaters and a goalie.

Most of me thinks Brossoit should get the start (he needs to start either today or tomorrow one would think) but part of me also thinks that a comeback game from Talbot would be best for the team going forward.

I will take a solid performance from Brossoit tonight giving the team a chance to win and then a come-back performance from Talbot tomorrow – both parlaying it in to 7 points in the last 4 games of this trip.

2. Yeti says:

Shame about Slepy’s stop-start beginning to the season. He doesn’t have much of a history with injuries, does he?

3. OriginalPouzar says:

I like the shots/60 for Jesse – very nice.

Of course, I don’t like the Points/60 but one more point would likely double in and, in fact, he should have one more assist – he had an apple coming on the disallowed goal against WSH.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

2.19 P/60 is really low for Connor – his goal share is below 50% over the last few weeks.

I’m thinking we are about to see one of those dominant stretches from Connor where he gets 18 points in 10 games and is generally dominant almost shift after shift.

He had 2-3 of those stretches last year and I can feel one coming – as long as doesn’t let frustration with the refs not calling infractions and frustration with well “everything” get to him.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m hoping to see Auvitu back in the lineup tonight.

The numbers meet the eye test – for those two games he played last week, I thought Auvitu/Russell looked MUCH better than Gryba/Russell.

We were also playing good hockey as a team for those two games.

Coach made the switch to Gryba for some truculence and it has back-fired.

Hopefully the Frenchman is in tonight.

OriginalPouzar:

7. Jaxon says:

I see Boone Jenner as one of the better fits for Edmonton. He’s a C / LW / RW so he’s versatile. He’s scoring at a decent clip this season (3G, 5A in 14GP).

Boone Jenner (24-yr-old on final yr @ $2.9M then RFA next summer), David Savard (27-yr-old 4 years left at $4.25M, then UFA). Seth’s brother, Caleb, may be of interest to them. I bet Nugent-Hopkins looks pretty enticing to CBJ, too. Josh Anderson is on a cheap 3 yr deal @ $1.85M per.

8. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: I still don’t understand the switch back to Gryba, in particular for two straight games.

Oilers like the physicality that Gryba brings.

Unfortunately “heavy hockey” is hurting us and costing us goals and points.
    We have taken 26 more penalties ( thats penalties not minutes) more than our opponents.

9. Jethro Tull says:

St. Louis are the new Dys.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: McDavid was 2.88 a year ago, this early in the season a point or two makes a difference. For instance, McDavid has 13 5×5 points and is 2.44/60 scoring for the season in 319:16. Add two more points, and he’s 2.82. McDavid is fine.

I’m not saying he’s “not fine”

I’m just saying that he’s struggled a bit over the last few weeks compared to how he normally performs and produces

Is that not accurate? Are his numbers not down a bit, including goal share?

He will go through low periods and high periods. His low period are still elite periods, that’s how good he is.

I’m looking for him to have a “high period” soon and it will come.

I’m starting to get frustrated that even a tiny bit of criticism towards this player is essentially deemed misguided and unacceptable.

11. digger50 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I’m hoping to see Auvitu back in the lineup tonight.

We were also playing good hockey as a team for those two games.

Coach made the switch to Gryba for some truculence and it has back-fired.

Hopefully the Frenchman is in tonight.

12. dustrock says:

OriginalPouzar: I’m not saying he’s “not fine”

Is that not accurate?Are his numbers not down a bit, including goal share?

I’m looking for him to have a “high period” soon and it will come.

Dr. Dustrock here, suggesting something like a hernia. Something he can play through, but he’s 80% on most nights.

McDavid at 80% is still better than 90% of NHL players, but I find I’m not left speechless as much as I was last year.

13. Primetime says:

digger50: I know Grubs is not sexy on this blog, but we are playing the Blues who destroyed our defence last game. Gryba stands a chance. Auvitu will be terrified of the forecheck.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

I understood the move by the coach but it didn’t work and I was surprised that Gryba was in the lineup for the next game against the Stars.

Maybe I am mis-remembering or off my rocker but I remember Auvitu moving the puck forward in the two games he had last week and Auvitua/Russell looking better than Russell/Gryba has looked.

15. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock: If you take away 3v3 OT and the special teams, McDavid hasn’t seemed the same player to me for some time.

Dr. Dustrock here, suggesting something like a hernia.Something he can play through, but he’s 80% on most nights.

I agree.

I think he’s been hurt since the Canuck game – I blame Dorsett.

16. digger50 says:

Primetime: They destroyed our defence WITH Gryba playing last game…maybe try something different?

Absolutely. Blues send a crushing forecheck. Oilers were okay for a period then started to cough up the puck through periods two and three. Gryba is not good with the puck, but physically he can handle the Blues so much better than Russell, Benning, Klefbom.

I know Frank just mentioned the “heavy hockey” is hurting us. That may be the case overall this season but in regards to the Bkues we lost the “heavy hockey” as well. They are a load.

17. JimmyV1965 says:

The Blues are beatable. They’ve been very meh their last four games, except the game against us of course. Their roster is no better than ours but they are playing with confidence and we aren’t.

18. Klima's_Bucket says:

It may just be a coincidence, but with Chiarelli and Sutter in the house last night, David Savard was back in the lineup after being a healthy scratch for Columbus.

The Jackets are carrying an extra Dman and need some more scoring up the middle.

Goodbye Nuge.
    Hello Savard.

I keed,I keed, but deep down I’m incredibly nervous.

19. Cassandra says:

Remember goals per game are up .5. What looks like treading water in terms of pts/60 is actually sinking.

G/gm is 6.04. Last year it was 5.53.

League Average save percentage is .907. Last year it was .910.

20. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– The St-Louis Blues are the only team to have missed a draft on purpose and there was a Edmonton Oiler connection.

– Ralston Purina (yes the pet food guy), we had a deal in place to sell the team to Bill Hunter (yes the WHA owner of the Oil) in 1982 for for $11.5MM, and move the team to Saskatoon (I’m not making this up, it would have been sweet). This was a huge sum and Purina waated out

– The mayor of St-Louis gets involved, there was a counter bid by a St-Louis group for $8MM but Ralston took the deal to move to Saskatoon

– The president and GM at the time gets pissed, asks to get released. So Ralston does, and also fires virtually everyone on his team

– The St-Louis bid they can’t come up with the money: the NHL tries to block it, Ralston sues the NHL, the NHL (Ziegler, then commish the rat), counter sues. Poor Bill Hunter gets scared (or probably intimidated by the NHL), and they drop their offer. (they had pre-sold 18,000 season tickets, and had an arena committment by the city)

– Now Ralston has no buyer, the remaining front-office boycotting, and owner threatening to just liquidate the team, the NHL takes over the team, finds a buyer in Cali for $3MM: Harry Ornest

– Scuttlebut is that Hunter got paid off handsomely to back down, Ralston got some hush money, and Saskatoon got screwed

– It would be a neat book to write: Pat Lafontaine, Stevie Y, Cam Neeley, Claude Lemieux, Hasek, all the Russians that got passed over before…

– The Blues, they have always been one of my “second favourite” teams

– Here’s a little blurb on the team and that years’ draft results:

*what incredible value-destruction, for St-Louis the team, the bid, the dream of a team in Saskatoon, and the Cali gong show…

21. GCW_69 says:

Late to the party on this one. From the other thread;

“Tomas Kaberle.: puck moving D who helped big time in playoffs and won Cup, for 32nd pick: those are the trades teams make when they go all in. Signed massive contract in bidding war that off-season”

“Kaberle’s tepid play remains one of the most perplexing stories of this postseason ”
    “Kaberle was supposed to help elevate the Bruins’ special-teams attack, but their power play has been a dud all spring, scoring twice on 41 attempts.”

Yep, that’s helping big time.

22. SHILL83 says:

Lineup Id like to see tonight

19-97-91
    27-29-98
    13-93-18
    16-55-44

25-6
    77-83
    81-4

23. oscarmike says:

Nuge for Evander
    Boone Jenner for Maroon
    Benning+3rd pick for Savard.

24. frjohnk says:

Cassandra:
    Remember goals per game are up .5.What looks like treading water in terms of pts/60 is actually sinking.

G/gm is 6.04.Last year it was 5.53.

League Average save percentage is .907.Last year it was .910.

Goals are up but are they up 5 on 5?
    I guess I could figure it out, but maybe you have the numbers for 5 on 5

25. texmex says:

Sail ON!!

Edmonton Oilers‏Verified account
    @EdmontonOilers
    8m8 minutes ago
    The #Oilers have placed defenceman Ziyat Paigin on unconditional waivers.

26. Silver Streak says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

– Ralston Purina (yes the pet food guy), we had a deal in place to sell the team to Bill Hunter (yes the WHA owner of the Oil) in 1982 for for $11.5MM, and move the team to Saskatoon (I’m not making this up, it would have been sweet).This was a huge sum and Purina waated out

– The president and GM at the time gets pissed, asks to get released.So Ralston does, and also fires virtually everyone on his team

– The St-Louis bid they can’t come up with the money: the NHL tries to block it, Ralston sues the NHL, the NHL (Ziegler, then commish the rat), counter sues.Poor Bill Hunter gets scared (or probably intimidated by the NHL), and they drop their offer.(they had pre-sold 18,000 season tickets, and had an arena committment by the city)

– The Blues, they have always been one of my “second favourite” teams

– Here’s a little blurb on the team and that years’ draft results:

God I hate even thinking about the Saskatoon Blues….I was there for all that …..a few thoughts Klinger…firstly the purchase price was $16 mill….and the deal was done ( Battoni Construction had supplied the new building plans and land had been found ) only conditional on the NHL board of directors approval…..Harold Ballard let the charge to kill the deal….and he did. Yes…I had bought seasons tickets. Very sad day for Saskatoon.

27. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar,

“I can feel one coming – as long as doesn’t let frustration with the refs not calling infractions and frustration with well “everything” get to him.”.

Make a prediction without the what if.

Dont be the gambler that says Red Red Red ….. Damn I knew it was gonna be Black.

Is he gonna go on a run ?

Hes got the Flu. They play 4 games in 5.5 days. I think he gets 4 or 5 pts (standard Connor)

28. OriginalPouzar says:

texmex:
    Sail ON!!

Edmonton Oilers‏Verified account
    @EdmontonOilers8m8 minutes ago
    The #Oilers have placed defenceman Ziyat Paigin on unconditional waivers.

I was just about to post this – not sure what for – maybe he’s going back home?

He’s been a healthy scratch quite a bit this year.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

oscarmike:
    Nuge for Evander
    Boone Jenner for Maroon
    Benning+3rd pick for Savard.

You are willing to trade Nugent-Hopkins for a pure rental that will be gone after this season?

That would be the worst trade in the history of the organization.

30. jtblack says:

texmex,

Could this mean we r adding a D man?

31. Scungilli Slushy says:

Auvitu and Russell against a big team will hemmed in constantly. Auvitu and Gryba is what I’d try. Tow Gryba to the front of the net with the zamboni and A can scoot around the zone like Cliff Ronning with his pants on fire, and if he comes up with the puck it will probably get moved forward.

I find this season gives me worries of season’s past, watching the team struggle and waiting for the GM to entrench it even more with a talent liquidating trade, Tambo style. I’m not saying he will, but the traumas haven’t healed for me yet it seems – we hoped for the best but it went like always.

With stable goalering and an honest effort they can beat this one line team. But they can’t let themselves get killed by the bottom 6 of the Blues, and have to get sticks in on Tarasenko’s and take his space. Give him a clean look and it’s in with that nasty release and obscene lateral movement.

Go Oil, upside down day 3-2 for the good guys.

32. Snowman says:

OriginalPouzar: I agree.

I think he’s been hurt since the Canuck game – I blame Dorsett.

You are a confusing fellow OP.

You complain Mcdavid hasn’t been good enough to give value to his new contract despite being on pace for 100 pts for consecutive years.

You acknowledge he’s played much more against elite competition.

You acknowledge you think he’s hurt.

So to summarize, Mcdavid: On pace for 100 pts again. Playing tougher competition. Possibly hurt and definitely sick. Needs to be better and is not good enough to be paid $2M. more than Toews who has averaged 59 pts over the last 4 seasons and Kane who has averaged 82 points over 4 seasons.

Okie dokie.

33. McSorley33 says:

There are a few people thinking the team could turns things around yet this year….although, the crowd is definitely a lot smaller.

Honest question: Anybody is at least – mildly- nervous that PC might be making a trade here in a moment where we sit close of the bottom of the NHL? ( the air is rank with desparation)

34. Scungilli Slushy says:

Paigin is probably going home. Good move he needs TOI and if he’s not getting it here let him play there. The farm is still deep at LD.

35. frjohnk says:

texmex:
    Sail ON!!

Edmonton Oilers‏Verified account
    @EdmontonOilers8m8 minutes ago
    The #Oilers have placed defenceman Ziyat Paigin on unconditional waivers.

And the big 4 D prospects is dwindled down to 3.
    I figured 2 out of the 4 would make it.
    Maybe 1 of Jones/Bears possibly makes it as a top 4 Dman.

Oilers didnt take Paigin for much of a spin before cutting ties.

36. Surrey Oiler says:

OriginalPouzar,

No, we re-sign Evander, I like all those deals. Let’s build a winner here folks. Tired of the lottery and gamble a little to get what we need for Connor’s sake.

37. Surrey Oiler says:

oscarmike:
    Nuge for Evander
    Boone Jenner for Maroon
    Benning+3rd pick for Savard.

Would love to see all 3 of these go down !!!

38. Jethro Tull says:

oscarmike:
    Nuge for Evander
    Boone Jenner for Maroon
    Benning+3rd pick for Savard.

Well that’s one way to completely skull f#@k the team.

39. Primetime says:

Scungilli Slushy:

You don’t need to void his contract for him to go back home (unconditional waivers). Why cut ties and lose his rights? Need contract space on the 50 man list? The dreaded reverse 3 for 1 coming with RNH?
    I guess not being under contract would make him eligible for the Olympics as well…would he even be in consideration?

40. Jethro Tull says:

Surrey Oiler:
    OriginalPouzar,

Yep, Evander will put us over the edge, just like he did with Buffalo.

Just as a down year doesn’t a shitty player make, neither does 20 games at a ppg make you Gretzky.

And that boy has serious baggage.

41. Scungilli Slushy says:

Primetime: You don’t need to void his contract for him to go back home (unconditional waivers).Why cut ties and lose his rights?Need contract space on the 50 man list?The dreaded reverse 3 for 1 coming with RNH?

Good points. I don’t think Russia is going to the O because doping.

42. OmJo says:

Surrey Oiler,

Kane is making 5.2M, no way he signs for 6M or less.

He’s an overrated player IMO. He’s good but won’t be worth the massive overpay to keep him, especially if he plays on McDavids wing.

43. Scungilli Slushy says:

Jethro Tull: Yep, Evander will put us over the edge, just like he did with Buffalo.

And that boy has serious baggage.

E Kane doesn’t seem like the typical Oiler player – they always go on about attitude. I’d be worried about the side show that comes with him.

44. OmJo says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Interesting story! The ugly side of profesional hockey…

45. OriginalPouzar says:

Snowman: You are a confusing fellow OP.

You acknowledge he’s played much more against elite competition.

You acknowledge you think he’s hurt.

Okie dokie.

I don’t know if he’s hurt or not – I’m gleaning that he might be from his play – mostly his skating. While he is still skating like the best skater in the game, I’ve seen him skate better, I’ve seen him have an extra gear and i haven’t seen him hit it since the first game of the year.

Again, I am definitely not blaming McDavid for anything that ails the Oilers – he is definitely not any part of the problem – he is one of the few players providing part of the solution.

That does not mean that he can’t play better – I’ve seen him play better so I know he can. I haven’t looked at any stats but I’m confident Stamkos, Gaudreau, etc. are also playing against tough competition.

The value for contract thing doesn’t even really matter especially since it doesn’t kick in until next year.

The conversation started as a hypothetical scenario – if he had the $12.5M cap hit right now, would he be value for that contract up to this point in the season.

I say no because it would be the highest cap hit in the league, by a long shot, and he hasn’t been the best player in the league up to this point. Its been 20 games – he very well could with the Art Ross this year and will the Oilers in to the playoffs on his back.

46. npanciroli says:

Not what I would do. But my guess is RNH for Savard + Jenner.

47. OriginalPouzar says:

McSorley33:
    There are a few people thinking the team could turns things around yet this year….although, the crowd is definitely alot smaller.

Yes, I think general Oiler fan tension surrounding a potential large move by the GM is rampant – I know I have it.

At this point, I am not on-board with a large move unless the assets acquired are value for those disposed and are under team control for years. Essentially, no huge rentals (i.e no trading the first round pick and/or Puljijarvi for the Kane, Green, Neal, etc.)

There is absolutely no certainty that a move like that will get us in to a playoff position and, frankly, even if it does, I don’t like.

That’s the type of move that can be made if there is a solid contending playoff team and they are adding the finishing piece – I don’t think that’s where we are this year.

I’m fine just standing pat and seeing what happens.

If we miss, we miss – I’ll accept that and look forward to the return on our UFAs (Maroon, Letestu, Cammalleri) and get ready for next year with a stronger prospect pool and a bunch of prospects one year closer to making an NHL impact.

48. OriginalPouzar says:

Surrey Oiler:
    OriginalPouzar,

Nugent-Hopkins for a UFA without a contract would be a horrible trade. If he comes signed or the two parties are given consent to work out a deal beforehand, that’s a totally different scenario.

With that said, how the heck are we going to re-sign him under our cap structure?

He’s on pace for 46 goals and 82 points.

The contract is going to be north of $7M/season – shit it might be closer to $10M.

49. Cassandra says:

OmJo:
    Surrey Oiler,

Kane is making 5.2M, no way he signs for 6M or less.

He’s massively overated. Check out those assist totals. 40-50 pts per 82 games with that kind of playing time is not good production. Adjust his season totals to an 82 game season and 18 minutes a night and you get a 46.5 pt player. That’s not good. Over that same period his GF% is 43%. Played on bad teams you say. His relGF% is -5.9%

Those are terrible numbers. Evander Kane is not a good NHL player, similar to Nail Yakupov (39 pt player, 39% GF% and -5.5 rel GF%)

By comparison, actual star players look like our friend Taylor Hall is a 64.5 pt player. GF% of 51. Rel GF%+10.25

Jordan Eberle isn’t a star, but he is a good player. 59 pts with a 49% GF% and +4.78 rel GF%

That is right, Evander Kane is a lot closer to Yakupov than Hall. Trading for him is a terrible idea. Paying him 6 million a year, ludicrous

50. Cassandra says:

James Neal is a 58 pt player, 58% GF% on good teams, but still a healthy +7.75 rel GF%

Evander Kane has nothing in common with James Neal.

Kane sucks. I wouldn’t trade a 7th round pick for him.

51. Bag of Pucks says:

The potential loss of the Saskatoon Blues was a travesty for the NHL, but looking at it now, it’s hard to see any way in which the city was truly a viable market for the NHL long-term. The economic realities of today’s NHL demand a strong corporate base that Saskatoon simply doesn’t have. How many luxury boxes can you fill based on grain and potash?

It’s better to have lost in love than never to have loved at all, so I’m sure Saskatchewan would’ve taken a team ‘for a while’ over no team at all, but in all likelihood, that team would’ve eventually migrated back to an American city.

Shame that so much of the NHL’s growth strategy is based on a television blueprint and lottery payment expansion fees as the core criterion. The GTA could easily support another team, if not 2, but as Balsillie found out – expansion into Canadian markets is not high on the NHL owners list of priorities.

52. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Bag of Pucks:

– The Green Bay Packers send their love…

* I’m being silly I know: but it is/was a beautiful dream. And after the St-Louis to Cali deal, figuring out Cali has been a godsend to the NHL

53. Bag of Pucks says:

Evander Kane is the epitome of the ‘me first’ athlete.

54. frjohnk says:

Bag of Pucks,

Kinger_Oil.redux,

I live in Saskatoon.

No way an NHL franchise would have survived here in the 90’s.

Economy back then was dead and we did not have much of a corporate presence then.

Bettman would have moved the team for sure.

I think the only TV broadcast we had back then was a couple of guys in a basement room in the the Barry Hotel on 20th. (OK not that bad, but not much for TV viewing)

55. Bag of Pucks says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – The Green Bay Packers send their love…

And oddly enough, the NFL didn’t expand to Green Bay in the 1980s. The smallest ‘tertiary’ market they expanded to in the modern era has been Jacksonville (population of 880k vs population of 250k for Saskatoon).

Until very recently, you couldn’t compare the NFL to the NHL. NFL teams share billions in television revenue. That kind of cash flow makes nearly any market viable.

No doubt, the entire province of SK would’ve shown up for games in the 80s. But who fills the luxury boxes, buys the corporate sponsorships, pays the contracts?

It’s a nice romantic notion the NHL having a team in Saskatchewan. Romantic notions are not sustainable business models.

56. who says:

OriginalPouzar: Gryba was inserted for the last Blues game and had big problems with the Blues and their forecheck.

Gryba had a bad game against the Blues but I’m not sure Auvitu is the solution. Seems to me any team with a heavy forecheck has him running scared. Hope I’m wrong.

57. Snowman says:

Cassandra:

Evander Kane has nothing in common with James Neal.

Kane sucks.I wouldn’t trade a 7th round pick for him.

You can say a lot of things about Evander Kane. “He sucks” ain’t one of them.

58. Bag of Pucks says:

Kinger_Oil.redux

* I’m being silly I know: but it is/was a beautiful dream.And after the St-Louis to Cali deal, figuring out Cali has been a godsend to the NHL

Did they ‘figure out Cali’ or did our city sell them the greatest player who ever lived, and it grew from there?

59. dustrock says:

OmJo:
    Surrey Oiler,

Kane is making 5.2M, no way he signs for 6M or less.

Evander Kane is healthy for the first time in a while this year.

He’s a serious talent.

60. StixMalone says:

dustrock,

But not worth Nuge….

61. russ99 says:

A bit apprehensive if the Oil are trading partners with Columbus, due to Howson.

You know the old boys just love to rely on “inside information” in lieu of scouting…

62. russ99 says:

oscarmike:
    Nuge for Evander
    Boone Jenner for Maroon
    Benning+3rd pick for Savard.

Look at how flat the Astros were in August, and how trading for Verlander turned them around towards the title.

Play like Pittsburgh or Columbus. Move the damn puck before the forecheckers get there. But that is not the way the Oilers defense is coached.

Nurse has the “best” Corsi because he will lug it out sometimes rather than play the McLellan’s plodding along the boards zone exit system.

64. leadfarmer says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Evander Kane is the epitome of the ‘me first’ athlete.

Also known as a professional athlete

65. Patrick C says:

Primetime,

Paigin’s not in consideration at the moment. He got some games with the Russian “B” national team during that great season he had with HK Sochi, but nothing since.

66. Cassandra says:

Snowman: Evander Kane has 120 even strength goals since 2009. That puts him 21st in the league during that time.

You can say a lot of things about Evander Kane. “He sucks” ain’t one of them.

And yet I demonstrated that he did, in fact, suck.

If you aren’t going to even try and present a refutation you might as well not post at all. Posting contradictory statistics without a corresponding argument is not a refutation. It is gibberish

Goals since 2009 is not relevant. Indeed, it is a very good example of how to lie and dissemble using statistics, choosing a criteria (goals) that intentionally conceals the weakness of the player (where are the assists, how bad is the defense), while choosing a time frame, which is not only irrelevant (the Kane of 2009 does not exist) but dishonestly leaves out of the discussion all those players who have not been playing since 2009).

So, I repeat, the evidence is very, very, clear. Despite his reputation, Evander Kane is not a good hockey player.

67. GMB3 says:

godot10: Play like Pittsburgh or Columbus.Move the damn puck before the forecheckers get there.But that is not the way the Oilers defense is coached.

This probably where our offense suffers the most, we have a hell of a time getting out of our own end

68. GMB3 says:

Cassandra:

G/gm is 6.04.Last year it was 5.53.

League Average save percentage is .907.Last year it was .910.

69. GMB3 says:

russ99: Not a huge fan of any of those deals, due to future cap implications, but maybe we need that kind of shakeup.

I don’t think Jenner or Savard have the kind of impact that Verlander has..

70. Seismic Source says:

This is pretty good.

71. Cassandra says:

GMB3: Is this due to the increase in penalties called? Might have less of an effect on p/60 at 5×5

Teams last year scored .57 ppg/game. So far this year it is .7 ppg/game. So ppg explains about half of the increase in scoring.

72. dustrock says:

Spector just complained on Oilers Now about Chiarelli not making himself available to the Edmonton media for questions this year.

This is a good point.

73. Cassandra says:

Another interesting quirk. The average team this year has scored 14 ppg. The Oilers only have 12, despite having a pp that is above average in percentages.

So part of the poor performance of the special teams in absolute terms is because the Oilers are drawing fewer and committing more penalties.

Cue calls for bias, but the committing more penalties has other viable explanations that are tied to the players themselves.

74. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilers are taking many many more PIMs than they are drawing – the fact has real-game implications.

Lucic, Maroon and Kassian are all culpable of taking many more PIMs than they are drawing.

Kassian, in particular, has been bad – the next PIM he takes will put him at -7 for the season the exact number that Pouliot was at for his Oiler career and it was PIMs that drove him out of town.

Info above is from the Willis article at The Athletic.

75. Snowman says:

Cassandra,

It is impossible to be bad at hockey and score 120 even strength goals in 8 years in the NHL. I don’t need to present other stats. Nobody who is bad at hockey in the history of the NHL has scored 120 even strength goals.

Hardest thing in hockey to do. Score goals. He’s among the very best at it in the world. You might not like him. He might not be a complete player. He has a long injury history. He’s probably a bit of a dink to be sure. But he’s scored more even strength goals than Evgeni Malkin over the last 8 years while playing fewer games and on way, way, way, way, worse teams. Explain to me how that is possible for a guy who is “not a very good hockey player”.

120 even strength goals isn’t a twisting of the facts. It just is a fact. I don’t know how many other hockey players played in the NHL during that same stretch but to be in the top 21 in goal scoring pretty much shuts down the he sucks argument.

So if you want to revise your statement to say he’s bad at some parts of hockey. I’ll accept that. If you want to say I wouldn’t have him on my team. I’ll accept that.

He’s averaged .62 pts/gm for 8 year while being top 21 in goal scoring over those same 8 years.

His expected GF% 52. His expected GFrel% +6.2. So over the course of his career he has a positive goals for. His actual goals for% 49.48%. Playing for such NHL powerhouses as Atlanta, Winnipeg and Buffalo.

You’ve got an irrational perspective on Kane. It doesn’t hold up to scrutiny.

Like I said there are many things to say you wouldn’t want Kane on your hockey team that can be supported in facts. Evander Kane is bad at hockey isn’t one of them.

*edit* Kane has played 32 games more than Malkin since 2009. My bad.

Evander Kane is a fine hockey player. Today. There are things about his back story that should be considered before making an investment. I would make the move to bring him here based on what is publicly available.

77. OmJo says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Evander Kane is the epitome of the ‘me first’ athlete.

To be fair, I think he’s changed a lot since then. That was 3 years ago, too.

His Twitter is full of quite a bit of charitable and community work he’s been doing lately.

My issue isn’t so much with his personality rather than what he’d bring to the team for the cost.

78. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar:

Info above is from the Willis article at The Athletic.

Yup.
    Kassian
    Maroon
    Lucic
    Gryba
    Nurse
    Larsson

These guys each have a penalty differential of -4 penalties taken vs drawn or worse. As a team we have taken 26 more penalties than our opponents.

I have time for heavy hockey, but not when its costing us goals against and points in the standings.

79. Jethro Tull says:

Kane’s advance stats have been trending down as his o zone starts have been significantly increased for the last two years. He benefited from playing for a strong Winnipeg team, but was better there possession wise. I would not bet on him to regress at his age.

Not the droid we’re looking for.

80. Jethro Tull says:

Yhe closest player to Kane stats wise Is Adam Deadmarsh. They’re virtually in lock step over their careers.

81. OmJo says:

dustrock: Evander Kane is healthy for the first time in a while this year.

He’s a serious talent.

Not saying he isn’t a good player, saying the opposite lol.

I just don’t trade him for Nuge.

1. If you do, who replaces Nuges PK time? He and Letestu are our top PK Cs, Nuge is one of our best PKers period. Averages 1:47 a game on the PK.

2. If you do, who replaces the amount of faceoff Nuge takes? He’s taken 313 faceoffs this season, and is 50.5%. Draisaitl is second with 252 (54.4%), then Letestu (202, 54.9%) and McDavid (150, 39.3%). Nuge takes more D zone and neutral zone faceoffs than any other C on the team.

3. Most importantly, Nuge is locked up until July 2021 at $6M. Evander Kane is UFA, having a career year, and making $5.2M. Good luck signing him to $6M. We can’t afford anything more than that and on the UFA market he can probably get $6.5-7M easily.

Number 3 is the biggest factor for me.

82. OmJo says:

dustrock:

This is a good point.

Only after the shit storm against him by Oilers fans on twitter. He didn’t have any issue with it prior to being mobbed for his stupid article on Sportsnet after the Stars game.

Lol.

Cassandra:
    Another interesting quirk.The average team this year has scored 14 ppg.The Oilers only have 12, despite having a pp that is above average in percentages.

Lander and Pouliot and Pitlick were nasty buggers that drew a lot of penalties.

Pitlick actually scores goals on the 4th line, and draws penalties. Signed for 3 years at 50% of what Zack Kassian signed for three years for, who doesn’t score goals, and takes penalties.

Peter signed the wrong guy…the worse player for twice as much money.

84. Cassandra says:

Snowman,

I don’t know where you are getting your numbers from, but they are wrong. Evander Kane is a worse version of Benoit Pouliot. The guy Chiarelli just bought out.

Since 2013

Kane 1.52 pts/60, 43% GF%, -5.9 relGF%
    Pouliot: 1.67 pts/60, 49.5% GF%, +2.7 relGF%

And neither has anything in common with Malkin

Malkin: 2.34 pts/60, 55.7% GF%, +4.2 relGF%

Focusing on goals is how you keep Maroon, while trading Eberle, which, while absurd, is not nearly as absurd as comparing Evander Kane favourably to Malkin.

I don’t care at all about Kane’s reputation. I care that he isn’t better than Pouliot and has a big contract.

OmJo: To be fair, I think he’s changed a lot since then. That was 3 years ago, too.

Evander Kane is looking for a new contract. That might have something to do with his twitter feed, and the advice of his publicist.

86. Cassandra says:

And going back to 13-14 actually improves how Kane looks. If you focus on only the last three years (as any reasonable projection system will) the gap between Kane and Pouliot widens on all metrics.

Has anyone noticed the longer Jesse Puljujarvi is close to McLellan the worse he becomes?

Puljujarvi goes to Bakersfield and rediscovers his game, and he comes up and they begin telling him to play contrary to his offensive instincts and bounce the puck off the goaltenders pads, and since he is young and eager, he listens.

McDavid and Draisaitl are successful because they don’t listen to this advice.

Klefbom is another guy who listens too much to the coaches. Nurse is smarter, he listened to Oates.

88. Cassandra says:

Going over this Kane stuff makes me realize that the reason that most Oiler fans like the Hall–Larsson deal is they can’t tell the difference between Taylor Hall and Evander Kane.

Here is the source of all the problems.

If Hall=Kane then trading Hall/Kane for Larsson is a good deal. Hell, it isn’t just a good deal, it is an incredible deal.

The problem is Hall (who is great) is infinitely better than Kane (who sucks).

89. LMHF#1 says:

Any explanation coming on Paigin? This just seems so ridiculous.

If Paigan is going home to Russia, then Chris Kelly is probably signing tomorrow with the extra contract becoming available.

91. Side says:

Cassandra and Godot10 posting back to back in rapid succession… why God, what did we do to deserve this?

92. Snowman says:

Cassandra:
    Snowman,

I don’t know where you are getting your numbers from, but they arewrong.Evander Kane is a worse version of Benoit Pouliot.The guy Chiarelli just bought out.

Since 2013

Kane 1.52 pts/60, 43% GF%, -5.9 relGF%
    Pouliot: 1.67 pts/60, 49.5% GF%, +2.7 relGF%

And neither has anything in common with Malkin

Malkin:2.34 pts/60, 55.7% GF%, +4.2 relGF%

I don’t care at all about Kane’s reputation.I care that he isn’t better than Pouliot and has a big contract.

Well my numbers are from Corsica 2009-2018 at even strength. I’d disagree that they are wrong but what the hell do I know? I’m just a guy who looks at numbers all day.

Not sure what Pou or Maroon or Eberle have to do with Kane.

I agree Kane is nowhere near the player that Malkin is. The fact remains though that he has scored more even strength goals since 2009 than Evgeni Malkin and I’d argue that it is impossible for a bad hockey player to have accomplished that feat.

My point is he’s produced at a pretty good rate and scored goals at an excellent rate while playing on bad teams over the course of his career.

You said he’s a terrible hockey player. I disagree with you. I’m not going to convince you otherwise and I have yet to see any evidence that Kane is a terrible hockey player so lets agree to disagree on Evander Kane.

93. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo: Not saying he isn’t a good player, saying the opposite lol.

I just don’t trade him for Nuge.

Number 3 is the biggest factor for me.

Given the contract demands Kane will have (based on his current pace of 46 goals and PPG), he could not be re-signed by the Oilers, even with Nuge’s contract gone – he’d be a few month rental who may not even make our team better for the short time he would be here.

Side:

Like everything else, #ItIsTaylorHallsFault

95. Side says:

godot10: Like everything else, #ItIsTaylorHallsFault

96. Surrey Oiler says:

I wanna see Evander in Oiler silks as it is quite evident that McDavid needs a sniper on his wing. If we were to make a trade for him, I would want him on sign and trade only, as Kane for 5 months doesn’t make sense for us.

Oilers are missing that jump and Chia needs to provide the jolt !

97. OmJo says:

godot10: Evander Kane is looking for a new contract.That might have something to do with his twitter feed, and the advice of his publicist.

Definitely possible but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. I don’t know him personally to know what his intentions are with what he does off the ice, but I like to think he grew up and learned from past mistakes and cleaned up his act professionally.

Side: I had to re-read that 20 times as I was surprised McLellan’s name wasn’t included in the hashtag.

I don’t have to repeat what is now “proven” and self-evident.

Surrey Oiler:
    I wanna see Evander in Oiler silks as it is quite evident that McDavid needs a sniper on his wing. Ifwe were to make a trade for him, I would want him on sign and trade only, as Kane for 5 months doesn’t make sense for us.

Oilers are missing that jump and Chia needs to provide the jolt !

The big bucks winger for McDavid should be a right shot right wing, not a left shot left winger who is not a strong defensive player. The left winger should be an all around player who is solid defensively,..which is not Kane. Maroon is okay as a stop gap because he can take and make a pass and has relatively good instincts about where to go.

100. Side says:

godot10: I don’t have to repeat what is now “proven” and self-evident.

I think I have asked approximately 20 times why you say Todd is “mediocre” and have yet to receive a response. I have also asked why you think anytime a player is showing signs of success, it’s in spite of Todd, but anytime a player is failing you say it’s because of Todd. I have also asked you for evidence supporting your statement that Todd is filling Klefbom with “delusions of grandeur” by saying that he’s the next Brent Burns, and for all of the above I have received:

nada.

So if this is all proven, care to show the proof?

Preferably without referencing “Belichik”?

101. OmJo says:

Snowman,

Not to nitpick, but NHL.com has Malkin at 139 ESG (0.30/game) and Kane at 130 ESG (0.26/game).

That’s with nearly the same amount of ES TOI per game over that span (15:21 for Malkin, 15:32 for Kane).

By comparison, Eberle has 127 ESG (0.24/game) while averaging 15:07 ES TOI per game on a much worse team.

Eberle and Kane are better comparables than Kane and Malkin, IMO.

102. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar: #3 isn’t just the biggest factor it makes the proposal completely non-nonsensical – it would be giving Nugent-Hopkins away, essentially, for free, for no return.

Unless Chiarelli bets on the salary cap rising to 82M next year.

Too soon? XP

103. OmJo says:

godot10:

That would be a smack in the face to the fanbase, IMO.

104. frjohnk says:

OmJo: If Eberle gets you just Strome, Kane alone shouldn’t get you Nugent-Hopkins. Especially not UFA Kane.

Chia says “hold my beer”

105. OmJo says:

LMHF#1:
    Any explanation coming on Paigin? This just seems so ridiculous.

Fun fact: Lander and Paigin play on the same KHL team, along with former Oiler Rob Klinkhammer.

106. Dicky94 says:

Expecting a big game from Maroon and the Oilers tonight. Maroon with two goals in front of his kid again. Go Oilers!!!

107. dustrock says:

OmJo,

Sorry Omjo, wasn’t picking on you, just general comment, I was surprised by people who don’t have any time for Kane.

He’s not Hall, but he has value.

108. Snowman says:

OmJo:
    Snowman,

Eberle and Kane are better comparables than Kane and Malkin, IMO.

I was in no way comparing Malkin and Kane in terms of quality of player.

Cassandra said Kane was a bad hockey player. My point was a bad hockey player could not have scored that many goals at evens in the NHL.

I don’t think Kane is better than Eberle or Malkin or Nuge or any number of other players. I just think he’s a good hockey player and the easiest way to express that in my opinion is in goal scoring. Bad hockey players don’t consistently produce even strength goals over many seasons.

I will argue with anyone who says a bad hockey player could score that many goals in the NHL.

109. SwedishPoster says:

LMHF#1:
    Any explanation coming on Paigin? This just seems so ridiculous.

Seems very odd. Everything from usage in the AHL, noone is going to convince me that Ben Betker is a better hockey player, to now suddenly be put on waivers. Last season when he came over he was moved to the top pairing after one game and this year he can’t even get into the team, didn’t that Doornbosch kid even play over him one game as well, to me that doesn’t really make sense.

I mean he might have had a rough start to the season, he didn’t look like himself in the pre-season imo, but by all accounts so has Caleb Jones. The point of the AHL for prospects is to remove kinks from their game, isn’t it? One guy plays every game and the other is press boxed several games and then put on waivers. This is obviously not just hockey reasons.

110. OriginalPouzar says:

Surrey Oiler:

Oilers are missing that jump and Chia needs to provide the jolt !

I sure don’t which makes him unaffordable to this team after this season.

Side: I think I have asked approximately 20 times why you say Todd is “mediocre” and have yet to receive a response.I have also asked why you think anytime a player is showing signs of success, it’s in spite of Todd, but anytime a player is failing you say it’s because of Todd.I have also asked you for evidence supporting your statement that Todd is filling Klefbom with “delusions of grandeur” by saying that he’s the next Brent Burns, and for all of the above I have received:

nada.

So if this is all proven, care to show the proof?

Preferably without referencing “Belichik”?

I used “proven” in quotes.

My Asperger’s is not something I can package and sell. I’m just “telling” you. You don’t have to believe me.

And basically, I allude to reasons all the time, even today.

Nobody’s life depends on the positions I take. I can delay gratification until it is obvious. They are more useful things to spend my time on than to “prove” something that will become self-evident over time.

OmJo: Same kind of situation as with Yakimov? He goes back to Russia, we retain his rights… He gets some ice time and can play back home, we don’t need to spend time contemplating sending him to the ECHL to find him ice time. Keeps everybody is happy?

Unconditional waivers I think means the Oilers lose his rights. Yakimov went back with permission from the Oilers. He wasn’t unconditionally waived.

dustrock:
    OmJo,

He’s not Hall, but he has value.

The Oilers cannot afford him. Lucic has the big bucks left wing contract. You can only have one and one only.

114. dustrock says:

Just read an article on The Athletic about Kane.

He’s healthy for the first time in years this year.

Contract year is an issue, but I wonder if there is a way to send out Maroon and keep Kane without sacrificing RNH?

I seem to recall Doug McLachlan or somebody saying Russell’s contract isn’t an unbelievably huge problem if we buy it out after this season.

Trade Maroon for a pick, once Seksy is healthy, make a tragic choice between Klefbom and Nurse, try to re-sign Kane.

I dunno. I’d like to have some skilled LW.

Benson/Yamamoto/Puljujarvi still seem a couple of years away to me.

115. dustrock says:

godot10: The Oilers cannot afford him.Lucic has the big bucks left wing contract.You can only have one and one only.

#PrayForCapIncrease

116. OmJo says:

dustrock,

No need to apologize, it’s all good lol.

Just hard to fit him on the team for more than 5 months salary cap wise.

117. Georges says:

Cassandra:
    Snowman,

Since 2013

Kane 1.52 pts/60, 43% GF%, -5.9 relGF%
    Pouliot: 1.67 pts/60, 49.5% GF%, +2.7 relGF%

And neither has anything in common with Malkin

Malkin:2.34 pts/60, 55.7% GF%, +4.2 relGF%

You’re looking up numbers now. That’s fantastic.

Agree with your take on Kane. Very, very far from a good bet.

Opponents seem to score more easily with him on the ice vs. off.

And his offense doesn’t make up for his defense. So, his teams do worse with him on the ice than off.

118. OmJo says:

godot10: Unconditional waivers I think means the Oilers lose his rights.Yakimov went back with permission from the Oilers.He wasn’t unconditionally waived.

Yup, you’re right.

Via Wikipedia via Google…

“A third type of waivers, “unconditional waivers,” applies when a player is to be given an unconditional release from his contract. NHL teams give notice to the player and the league that they intend to buy-out a player’s rights under the terms of the CBA. In this case, the waiver period is 48 hours.”

Well so much for that theory!

119. treevojo says:

OriginalPouzar: Given he’s on pace for 46 goals and 82 points, do you think he’ll sign a deal for $6M or less with term?

I sure don’t which makes him unaffordable to this team after this season.

Do you think he will score 46 goals and 82 points this year?

120. OmJo says:

Snowman,

Fair enough. Didn’t mean to say you were comparing Malkin and Kane as players btw, just their goalscoring ability.

I don’t agree with Cassandra that he “sucks*, I think he’s a good 2LW, a decent 1LW. I just don’t want to put too much stock in his performance on a contract year and go all in.

We’ve made enough bets for one season I think.

121. Side says:

godot10: I used “proven” in quotes.

My Asperger’s is not something I can package and sell.I’m just “telling” you.You don’t have to believe me.

And basically, I allude to reasons all the time, even today.

Nobody’s life depends on the positions I take.I can delay gratification until it is obvious.They are more useful things to spend my time on than to “prove” something that will become self-evident over time.

All I’m saying is it will never, ever become self-evident that Drai, McDavid and Nurse are successful because they don’t listen to Todd, and JP is not as successful because he does listen to Todd. It’s a ridiculous thing to claim, imo.

It just completely discredits any valid criticisms you may have of Todd. Actually, it makes it difficult to go through your posts about Todd that are valid, when I have to wade through “Tim Hortons screwed up my order because of Todd McLellan” bits in your posts.

122. LMHF#1 says:

This is why I’m vexed.

123. Side says:

OmJo:
    Snowman,

We’ve made enough bets for one season I think.

The real question is, is Kane worth a 7th round pick?

124. jtblack says:

what is the over / under on St Louis scoring on one of their first three shots?

125. Justthestatsman says:

jtblack:
    what is the over / under on St Louis scoring on one of their first three shots?

I’m feeling confident tonight. I say we make it until at least the 8th shot before St.Louis scores and it will be after the 17th minute of the first period.

126. OriginalPouzar says:

treevojo: Do you think he will score 46 goals and 82 points this year?

Don’t know – he’s had a pretty darn good start to the year and has kept it up.

Even if he scores 37 goals and gets 70 points, he’s in for a massive pay-day and this organization needs cheap ELC/2nd contracts on the wings.

Either way, I’d prefer to keep the younger center who is cost controlled for the next number of years and plays a fairly important role on the team.

Lots of options for wingers over the next few years that could provide more value on the top 6 wings then I think Kane will on his next contract.

127. Snowman says:

Justthestatsman,

You’re a better man than me. I was going to say the Blues are up 1-0 without anyone recording a shot on net. 😉

128. treevojo says:

OriginalPouzar: Don’t know – he’s had a pretty darn good start to the year and has kept it up.

Oh I don’t want him.

He screams contract year player to me.

Sure as shit not for the Nuge.

Nuge is playing the best hockey I have seen him play.

Worth every cent and then some so far.

129. JimmyV1965 says:

godot10: Lander and Pouliot and Pitlick were nasty buggers that drew a lot of penalties.

Pitlick actually scores goals on the 4th line, and draws penalties.Signed for 3 years at 50% of what Zack Kassian signed for three years for, who doesn’t score goals, and takes penalties.

Peter signed the wrong guy…the worse player for twice as much money.

You can’t seriously believe this. I like the Pitlick signing at $1 mill for three years. We should have done that because when he gets hurt, and he will and already has this year, his cap is so low that it doesn’t affect your cap space. At $2 mill a year his injuries will be a drag on the cap.

130. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Losing Piagin for nothing as an isolated incident is a small thing, but when added to the pile it hurts. Oilers outside of the first round have drafted very few NHL players who have stayed in the system and made strong contributions.

Cassandra makes some good points sometimes but then comes the Kane would not be worth a 7th type comments and then the wheels come off.

131. OriginalPouzar says:

Hmmmm, maybe no 2nd post today re: the Barons game.

No worries – busy people.

Here is hoping the Bear is back in the lineup – I have no idea on his time frame but he’s missed 5-6 games with the concussion now I believe.

132. OriginalPouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Hmmmm, maybe no 2nd post today re: the Barons game.

No worries – busy people.

Ha, I just found the answer to my own question:

EDM Prospect Watch‏
    @EDProspectWatch
    1h1 hour ago
    More EDM Prospect Watch Retweeted Bakersfield Condors
    Ethan Bear misses his 7th straight game with a concussion. Gerry Fleming said yesterday that Bear was making progress before suffering a setback this weekend

133. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

jtblack:
    what is the over / under on St Louis scoring on one of their first three shots?

Maybe.

134. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

If we are really lamenting losing Lander and Pitlick at this point the nadir on the season must be close.

They probably lose tonight but turn the corner soon.

What we can lament is terrible drafting for a decade, aside from the gimmes. P.S. I think you can count Reinhart under drafting since a choice was made to take him over the picks available then.

135. OriginalPouzar says:

Talbot the confirmed starter tonight.

I don’t think he deserves the start but hopefully he plays like the Vezina candidate from last year.

136. Twinkle in your Father's JDî says:

Wait. Peter sacrificed a Paigan on the 21st of November?

Stoopid Chia – that was supposed to be December 21st!

137. OriginalPouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

He was a 7th round pick (a pick acquired along with Talbot). He was the third last player chosen in the 2015 entry draft.

This doesn’t get added to any pile. The fact that he earned an NHL contract at all, let alone play any professional games for the organization, makes the pick a massive success.

Any bemoaning of management related to this “asset” really seems like stretching to find something else to bitch about with respect to the GM!

138. OriginalPouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

but we should lament losing the 3rd last player chosen in the 2015 entry draft?

139. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: Ha, I just found the answer to my own question:

EDM Prospect Watch‏
    @EDProspectWatch
    1h1 hour ago
    More EDM Prospect Watch Retweeted Bakersfield Condors

I have suffered setbacks on the weekend but I still go to work. Millennials! 😁

OriginalPouzar:
    Hmmmm, maybe no 2nd post today re: the Barons game.

No worries – busy people.

I would only post a Bakersfield GDT if the Oilers game is an afternoon edition.

141. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar: but we should lament losing the 3rd last player chosen in the 2015 entry draft?

Talk about missing the point just to start an argument, OP!

Losing the player in and of itself is not a big deal is what I said.

Draft position is irrelevant in this context: the point was that he was tracking well and looking like a very good pick up until this year.

My point is that the Oilers haven’t been able to mine many NHL players in the later rounds. Every team gets lucky every now and then but it just seems like the Oilers have not had any luck on that front.

The lamenting is the overall lack of later round players that turn out, not losing Piagin himself.

142. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: I would only post a Bakersfield GDT if the Oilers game is an afternoon edition.

Understood – no problem.

143. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

I would also say that I was not “bitching” about Chiarelli here at all, so I feel a bit taken aback by OP’s aggressive comment directed at me.

Really this sort of thing is why I stayed away from here for so long. You can’t even make a simple comment anymore without being placed in a pro- or anti- management camp. It’s like politics these days.

144. delooper says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

I appear to be reading about one in every 20 comments or so. One in every two threads gets partially read.

I have been noticing the Oilers aren’t doing great so far this season. Dunno if that makes me pro or anti management. Let’s say. . . pro. I believe in management, unless you’re really good at winging it. Then avoid management.

145. OriginalPouzar says:

I did not intend to attack anyone – if anyone feels attacked, I apologize.

146. OriginalPouzar says:

Go Oilers!

2 big points up for grabs tonight.

147. Scungilli Slushy says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

Yes but it’s fun until you can’t take it anymore!

The road is long. This may be a lull in the climb to greatness but it could be a huge reset year. The injuries to Cags and Slepy have set it back but it’s time to thresh the wheat. And be straight up hard on vets not doing the job.

It is a hideous thing for the team to waste any time with Connor. Fail your deal I don’t care what the contract says fall on your sword and take a trade.

148. Mantis says:

I have to say – I really enjoyed his rendition of the Canadian anthem.

149. Munny says:

GOilers!!

150. OriginalPouzar says:

Great chance by Maroon off a McDavid feed 30s in.

151. Munny says:

Would prefer Connor to shoot when he is in the better position.

152. OriginalPouzar says:

Nice shift by the 3rd line.

153. Munny says:

Munny,

On seeing the replay, I take that back

154. jake70 says:

Munny:
    Would prefer Connor to shoot when he is in the better position.

I am/have been on this train since last year…..however, Maroon was on his off wing on that rush, rare thing to see from him, give 97 a pass, no pun intended.

155. Munny says:

Well what do you do there?

156. OriginalPouzar says:

Klef with an own zone giveaway on a tough check and its in our net.

157. Mantis says:

Bloody hell…

158. Gerta Rauss says:

wtf what that…jeezuz..

159. jake70 says:

Unreal, another Warren Commission puck there…..how many players did that hit….frustrating.

160. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Hahahaha

Well dammit, when it rains it pours

161. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Ouch. Seems like every mistake ends up in our net at the moment.

162. Zelepukin says:

Forecheck hard on the Oilers D and you’re basically going to get a ton of chances. Worst case scenario they are gonna rim it and their D just needs to step up. Repeat.

163. StixMalone says:

That line just dominates us…..

164. Gerta Rauss says:

I thought for sure Nurse would have got a penalty there

165. Zelepukin says:

StixMalone:
    That line just dominates us…..

166. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

That St. Louis top line is dominant. Brayden Schenn looks like a completely different player.

Oilers lucky not to take a penalty there.

167. StixMalone says:

Zelepukin: Well best line in the league against our 4th line, not exactly the matchup you want.

You mean their coach line matches? What’s that….

168. Munny says:

The Blues… This is the WC team to measure yourself against (so far this season).

Last game we did not measure. The Oil haven’t looked bad so far, other than an own goal, but we did well in the 1st period last game.

Need to see some sustain.

169. Munny says:

Jesus H Murphy

170. StixMalone says:

There’s just no words…..

171. OriginalPouzar says:

Why is Talbot so terrible – that’s an awful goal.

172. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

And it just keeps raining

173. Munny says:

They have rabies or something.

174. Gerta Rauss says:

well…..

175. StixMalone says:

Munny:
    They have rabies or something.

That would be a good thing…

176. leadfarmer says:

Talbot is broken
    Been saying it all year. This team is built for 2006. Need to get rid of all these slow players

177. 99266in87 says:

Short side goal, among many many this year, are coach killers

178. StixMalone says:

Why do I hold my breath at every shot on our net?….

179. hunter1909 says:

I knew the Oilers were playing, but I didn’t want to start the game off and need them to be up about 3-0 before I’ll trust them to win.

Then I check the scoreline on ESPN and it’s 2-0 Blues.

The question: Who gets fired first; Chiarelli or McLellan?

PS: I’m watching a Youtube classic movie to pass the time away from the Oilers: “The Miami Story(1954).

180. Munny says:

My audio just silenced for a minute.

Likely in respect for the passing of the Edmonton Oilers.

Talbot is having a tough time for sure. I’d give him some time to build some confidence back up. There’s not much point bringing him back tomorrow night imo.

182. hunter1909 says:

Of course if Connor McDavid wasn’t playing hurt…

Some say it’s been since the 2nd freaking game, geez.

183. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

hunter1909:

Then I check the scoreline on ESPN and it’s 2-0 Blues.

The question: Who gets fired first; Chiarelli or McLellan?

If at the 50 game mark the Oilers are bottom 5 and the Devils and Islanders are comfortably in playoff spots then I would expect Chia to be gone before TMc.

I am hoping it does not come to that.

Still think right now we just have to ride it out. Everything that can go wrong, is. That won’t last forever. The problem was expectations were too high this year.

184. Munny says:

No way do you give up on him. Just dial him back till he comes around.

185. Munny says:

Broissoit lucky that didn’t go in.

186. jake70 says:

This is bad

187. Zelepukin says:

We need a confidence miracle. Something such as LB standing on his head, resulting in a comeback this game and then an epic sophomore streak of 4 or 5 wins in a row.

Hoping for a miracle is basically the Oiler’s business strategy of the past 10 years.

188. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Lucky to not be down 3. Our D still specializing in the “hard around the boards” breakout method–easy for teams to forecheck against if they have speed.

189. leadfarmer says:

hunter1909:

Then I check the scoreline on ESPN and it’s 2-0 Blues.

The question: Who gets fired first; Chiarelli or McLellan?

Should be both. It will be Tmac but it really should be Chia over him

190. StixMalone says:

Munny:
    Broissoit lucky that didn’t go in.

We need some luck…

191. Zelepukin says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

You mean the ghost of Andrew Ference.

192. Munny says:

Zelepukin: We need a confidence miracle.

Wish I owned a chicken farm…

193. Ben says:

Whelp, we’ve gone from playing pretty well and losing to playing pretty poorly and…losing.

McDavid having a nice Apocalypse Now moment in the tunnel.

194. hags9k says:

This season desperately needs something good to happen for a part of the roster that doesn’t involve 29 or 97.

Maybe LB can go on a heater.

When’s the last time we lit candles? Might be an idea.

195. Oil2Oilers says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Well, that just happened.

I am reminded of the old Russian & Lowetidian proverb; we hoped for the best but it turned out like always

196. Surrey Oiler says:

Chia better be on the phone with Bergevin, Nuge/Talbot, whoever, for Price/Patches.. F@ck this season is so done, so mad !!

197. Munny says:

Great save. Good for LB’s confidence.

198. StixMalone says:

Keystone Kops out there….

199. Zelepukin says:

wow Klef is terrible. I thought I’d never utter those words.

Newer Comments »