G25 2017-18: Coyotes at Oilers

Darnell Nurse is emerging as a top 4D by eye and my math, that’s one of the real positives surrounding the Edmonton Oilers this season. We’re at a point in the season where the numbers are more trustworthy and Nurse shines like a diamond among Edmonton’s blue.

THE ATHLETIC

The special Lowetide offer is here. Today’s story is the No. 10 Prospect in the system.

DIRTY WATER, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2, goal differential -9 (10 poins in 13 games)
  • Oilers in November 2016: 5-8-1, goal differential -1
  • Oilers in November 2017: 6-7-1, goal differential -4

The November 2015 schedule contained just 13 games and the final game of 2016-17 November schedule saw Edmonton lose to Toronto 4-2. This year’s Oilers have two more games to go but the six wins this year represent the highest total of Todd McLellan’s three Novembers with the club.

AFTER 25, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 8-14-2, goal differential -13
  • Oilers 16-17: 12-10-2, goal differential +7
  • Oilers 17-18: 9-13-2, goal differential -14

G25 in 2015-16 was a 3-0 loss to the Maple Leafs and a year ago it was a 6-3 win over Winnipeg, which included three power-play goals. If the Oilers win in regulation tonight it will represent the first time all year we’ve seen two regulation wins in a row. Amazing.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM NOVEMBER

• At home to: Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Detroit (Expected: 2-1-0) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • On the road to: NYI, New Jersey, NYR, Washington (Expected: 1-2-1) (Actual: 2-1-1)
  • At home to: Vegas, St. Louis (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual: 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 2-3-0)
  • At home to: Arizona, Toronto (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-7-2, 16 points in 16 games
  • Current results: 6-7-1, 13 points in 14 games

It’s been a strange month, with the road trips (4-4-1) actually better than the home games (2-3-0) but there are two games to go. Tonight’s a big damned deal.

DEFENSE, 2017-18

Nurse scores well across the board (these are my preferred metrics until we get the Puck IQ rolling), nice progress and we hope it continues. Auvitu looks chaotic but the numbers are good, Gryba scores well here (31.35 SA/60 a year ago) although he’s taking penalties at a rapid clip and his boots are more noticeable this year.

Matt Benning has had nights of chaotica and his SA/60 a year ago (27.75) shows we’re looking at a different defense this season. The Swedes are up in SA/60 too (Klefbom was 29.05, Larsson 29.3). Nurse was 32.58/60 SA a year ago, that’s your lead, ladies and men. Defensemen don’t develop in a straight line and we shouldn’t assume next year will be identical to this one. Still, nice progress for Mr. Nurse.

FORWARDS, 2017-18

Based on the number of tweets and DM’s I received Sunday afternoon, you’re all crazy about “UNICORNS!” after the Boston game. Leon Draisaitl (2.04, 5.26 a year ago) has shown nice early progress this year, Connor McDavid (2.88, 8.74) is in the range but down slightly in both categories. RNH (1.5, 8.12) is up in scoring, but down in shots and individual scoring chances (3.38 this year, 3.67 a year ago). Milan Lucic is similar to Nuge (individual SC’s were 3.49/60 a year ago, 2.45 this year) so we’ll have to monitor and a downturn seems likely based on the numbers. Numbers via NaturalStatTrick.

TWO ROOKIES?

Things will change as we continue through the season, but as of now the Edmonton Oilers have employed just two rookies during the 2017-18 season:

• Kailer Yamamoto 9gp, 0-3-3
  • Laurent Brossoit 6gp, 3.31 .880

The Oilers have been packing rookies into seasons six at a time (seven a year ago) so this is unusual. The last time Edmonton boasted just two rookies? Never. The closest the club ever came to two rookies was 1999-00:

• Paul Comrie 15gp, 1-2-3
  • Dan Lacouture 5gp, 0-0-0
  • Mike Minard 1gp, 3.00 .917
  • Source

Sean Tierney does brilliant work and I think his graph (“goals saved above average/60”) shows Cam Talbot out of the blue and into the black. He needs to turn that around for Edmonton to have any chance, it’s something I’m betting happens as we roll along. If a player isn’t hurt, isn’t about to turn 40 and has a reasonable track record of success, he should revert to previous levels. We can’t time it but it should be just beyond the blue horizon.

Yamamoto’s boxcars sit at 7gp, 1-5-6 since he’s been sent back, it’s not uncommon for a player to slump after being sent back by his NHL team. I’m not certain how much power-play time he’s getting but this is a player who was dominant at this level a year ago and it’s reasonable to expect that again. Leon Draisaitl went 3-3-6 in his first five games after demotion in 2014-15 but ripped off 27gp, 16-31-47 after getting settled. I expect Mr. Yamamoto will turn it on soon.

UNICORNS!

If the Oilers win tonight while running 97, 93 and 29 up the middle, we’re going to have unicorn sightings all across central Alberta. One thing I’d love to see? Jesse Puljujarvi populating a line centered by one of the three big C’s. I think it’s a big part of this season and vitally important to the future. If we can agree the McDavid cluster is key to winning, adding JP to the group that currently includes 97, Leon, Darnell Nurse, Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson is vital. These men should be pushing for the next decade important to have a large and productive cluster, with enough balance to overcome injury and cap letting.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, The Athletic. Who’s lucky and unlucky offensively in Edmonton this year.
  • Luke Lapinski, Arizona Coyotes Broadcast Host. We’ll check on Dylan Strome and the other brilliant youngsters in Phoenix.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. Classic Grey Cup, Toronto versus Edmonton was supposed to be the battle of young giants. What happened?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

763 Responses to "G25 2017-18: Coyotes at Oilers"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. flyfish1168 says:

Yotes make the PP look so easy

2. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Team still looks like they can’t get going.

3. Surrey Oiler says:

We will lose this game, thanks to Talbot F&CK

4. D says:

Another wonderful period of uninspired play.

5. StixMalone says:

Time for Gene to do a Strome boy interview

6. wood99 says:

Losing to the last place team in the league lost to the 30th Pl. team in the league. I think were the worst team in the-loop. ,Hard to be a fan after 40 years. After 10 years of darkness I thought we had finally seen the light obviously I was wrong.

7. Munny says:

Might be watching a lot of Sportsnet CHL Saturday Showcase this winter.

8. AntsOfTheSky says:

Man, and after a call like that? Just brutal.

9. danny says:

If there was any hope left for this team, tonight is the death knell. When you keep looking around the league for the easy wins and can’t find them, you’re the easy win.

10. StixMalone says:

flyfish1168:
    Yotes make the PP look so easy

Yes if you have a plan…..

11. OmJo says:

Surrey Oiler:
    We will lose this game, thanks to Talbot F&CK

We’re going into this game averaging 2.66 goals for per game.

Talbot bailed this team out many, many times last year. The team owes him some bails out, but just can’t do it… Whether it’s struggling to score, or poor defensive coverage.

2 goals against shouldn’t be enough to beat a team with Connor McDavid…

12. Dicky94 says:

I think the better put Drai back with McDavid in the third and tell them to go for it.

13. LadiesloveSmid says:

losing to the last place team when you’re not even in spitting distance of a playoff spot is the end of the season being competitive for me

trade Maroon tomorrow, gage interest in Letestu

14. StixMalone says:

Let’s see if the team has any pushback in third. I’m sick of hearing excuses. No more….

15. wood99 says:

At least the coach looks mad on the bench,not that he’s going to do anything about it.So is our excuse going to be that we’re tired after coming off of the road.

16. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Surrey Oiler:
    We will lose this game, thanks to Talbot F&CK

Not on Talbot alone. This team has laid another pathetic effort out there in a crucial game at home to the last place team. I mean, we are running out of excuses to make for this team: flu, Eberle gone, Hall gone, Talbot’s rate of letting in one in the first 3 shots, etc., whatever.

This team has McDavid and Drai and can’t do shit at home against the worst team in the league.

17. gogliano says:

Dominik Wedgewood sporting a .941 save percentage after two; Red Light Talbot a .889.

Not really on Talbot this game but this trend is killing us.

After 2 periods

2-1 Arizona (1-0 Coyotes in the second)
    Shots 18-17 Arizona (11-11 in the second)
    Corsi for 5×5 39-37 Arizona (18-17 Coyotes in the second)

Oilers look like a team that is going to lose from here. I love these young Coyotes, suspect they’ll have a more difficult time of it in Calgary Thursday night. Quick question and don’t look: What is the name of the Arizona goalie?

19. OmJo says:

If we trade Letestu, who replaces him on the PK?

Do we have anybody in the system with a similar game to his but as good at faceoffs? Khaira?

20. Munny says:

Shots 17-18. Auvitu leads with 3.
    Corsi 35-45 (all situations)
    FOs 23-28 (big improvement this period)
    Nurse lads all D in EV TOI

21. Pouzar says:

Can TMc please change up PP1? Or make PP2 PP1? Like pretend he gives a fuck at least? F^cking clown show on that PP.

22. Munny says:

Born Sleppy with a rare interview.

23. OmJo says:

After 2 periods

2-1 Arizona (1-0 Coyotes in the second)
    Shots 18-17 Arizona (11-11 in the second)
    Corsi for 5×5 39-37 Arizona (18-17 Coyotes in the second)

Martin Brodeur?

24. Pouzar says:

OmJo: If we trade Letestu, who replaces him on the PK?

We are gonna miss Letestu on the PK?

25. Munny says:

Never know when you’re going to post these any more, hope I didn’t step on your coattails.

26. fishman says:

Maybe it wouldn’t be fair but do we need a coaching change to shake things up? Where the hell is the team who played in Boston? Very frustrating they can’t string two good games together. They have tried all kinds of line up changes and really only Sekera is injured. No real help on the farm either. I think they are good enough to be a bottom seed playoff team. Looks like season going down the drain.

27. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

gogliano:

Not really on Talbot this game but this trend is killing us.

28. StixMalone says:

After 2 periods

2-1 Arizona (1-0 Coyotes in the second)
    Shots 18-17 Arizona (11-11 in the second)
    Corsi for 5×5 39-37 Arizona (18-17 Coyotes in the second)

Ken Dryden

29. OmJo says:

Pouzar: We are gonna miss Letestu on the PK?

I think so, yeah.

Emotions aside he’s the top PKing F on the team. We miss Pouliot, I think we’ll miss him too.

30. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Would Bob Nicholson be on the phone to Dean Lombardi and Darryl Sutter?

31. Pouzar says:

OmJo: he’s the top PKing F on the team.

What are you basing this on?

32. OmJo says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): I repeat, Occam’s Razor says they can’t all be Vezina goalies: the conclusion has got to be that the Oilers’ attack style is not working.

Well… Genetic engineering has come a long way….

33. StixMalone says:

The quote I can’t stand is ……wait for it………..we have to stick to the game plan! FFS it doesn’t work coaches come up with something different already….

34. Munny says:

Spec on… time to go do some stuff.

35. OmJo says:

Pouzar: What are you basing this on?

Sorry, I’m talking about TOI.

36. wood99 says:

This team doesn’t have any emotions. Their give a f$ck is embarrassing. Going into the year I was so excited I thought we would be a playoff team now I’m looking at the draft rankings. A sad day to be an Oilers fan.

37. OmJo says:

Last I checked the top 3 PK Fs by TOI are Letestu, Nuge, Kassian. Don’t remember the 4th.

38. who says:

Okay here’s the problem with PP1.
    You have 2 players who can’t recover loose pucks because they can’t beat anyone to them. And one of them should never handle the puck unless it is 10 ft from the net. Is anyone else astounded at how many times Lucic ends up carrying the puck into the zone on the powerplay. Put some fricking skill on the ice Tmac. This isn’t working.
    Also a new point man wouldn’t hurt. I’m sorry Oscar, but a shot from the point with no traffic is not a good decision on the powerplay.

39. Scungilli Slushy says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Would Bob Nicholson be on the phone to Dean Lombardi and Darryl Sutter?

Better the devil you know.

40. OmJo says:

Ohh so this is Tyson Nash.

Todd Walsh sounds like he’s whispering.

41. fishman says:

who:
    Okay here’s the problem with PP1.

Wish PP1 was only problem this team had!

42. OmJo says:

Todd Walsh should do ASMR.

43. StixMalone says:

Let’s get the tying goal and then open the flood gates….

44. Dicky94 says:

Huge 3rd coming up! Come on boys… I will have another rum if that’s what it takes. Fans need to wake up at Rogers too.

45. blainer says:

This team is just totally lethargic and disinterested so far. The D are not playing the same at all compared to last year. Long passes and off the glass and out like the DOD. Last year they were settling things down in the D zone and making cross ice passes tape to tape. Jeebus did they just forget how to play hockey?

I am among the most optimistic posters here and for the first time in a long time I will say this team will challenge for the basement the way they are playing tonight. Very sad.

It seems like the tempo is way off. Wonder if the practices are up to as much speed as possible.

Get er going in the third and bring me back to my half glass full please !!

Munny:

Never a worry. 🙂

47. Munny says:

They’re down a D. Take advantage.

48. wood99 says:

Again explain to me why pakerainen is playing and not are prized prospect. I think it might be time to set some veterans,letestu and klefbum come to mind. And please don’t tell me we can’t sit because they are to valuable to our success. Also letestu is to slow to be an elite penalty killer.

49. deardylan says:

Looking forward to Oilers turning on the TSN turning point and finishing strong in 3rd period. I believe in you boyz. Arizona gets A+ for effort, We get A+ for 2pts and the Win!

#Shazam

50. hunter1909 says:

I still think the team is, compared to OIlers teams I’ve see for the last decade highly skilled.

They need a rookie Tiger Williams out there, lol

51. StixMalone says:

I’ll say it for the hudredth time we have no breakout plays..

52. deardylan says:

Dicky94:
    Huge 3rd coming up!Come on boys… I will have another rum if that’s what it takes. Fans need to wake up at Rogers too.

Haha! Love your active optimism. Have 2 more rums so we can get a run of goals!! Gonna be epic 3rd period brother.

53. hunter1909 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Would Bob Nicholson be on the phone to Dean Lombardi and Darryl Sutter?

My whisky says…

54. hunter1909 says:

StixMalone:
    I’ll say it for the hudredth time we have no breakout plays..

That’s because the defence cannot carry the puck.

55. wood99 says:

StixMalone,

100% agree, I have seen peewee teams with better breakouts.

56. russ99 says:

This group is pathetic. All that work on that shift and only one shot wide of the net.

Stop the fancy crap and just shoot!

57. hunter1909 says:

deardylan:

#Shazam

The best they’re getting tonight is a B-

58. Munny says:

If Never-nude scores this period, the TV is in serious danger.

59. russ99 says:

Meh. Even if we get a good breakout we’re just going to skate it around in the offensive zone.

60. OmJo says:

Is Nuge a river pusher now?

Is it safe to say?

61. deardylan says:

hunter1909: The best they’re getting tonight is a B-

If I’m gonna win Hunter’s Game with my 97 pts prediction…. I gonna hunt for a win almost every game this season!! Not gonna be like baggedmilk and eat beets. Haha 🙂

62. hunter1909 says:

Flames down 3-1 in the 3rd to Toronto.

63. hunter1909 says:

deardylan: If I’m gonna win Hunter’s Game with my 97 pts prediction…. I gonna hunt for a win almost every game this season!!Not gonna be like baggedmilk and eat beets.Haha 🙂

Right now it’s more like an 87 point team lol

64. OmJo says:

hunter1909:
    Flames down 3-1 in the 3rd to Toronto.

I don’t care if we lose every other game this season… As long as we destroy the Leafs by a combined score of 20-0 I’ll be happy this season.

65. Munny says:

DECLINE IT!

66. StixMalone says:

Shoot the puck when there’s traffic in front Oscar

67. hunter1909 says:

You have a very good shot.

68. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

3rd period effort is better. That said, why the eff do the Oilers continuously play flat to start games and dig themselves a hole to crawl out of? Making life so much harder on themselves.

69. wood99 says:

I would like to know how many times we just blindly wrap the puck around the board without anybody being in the vicinity. You would think at this level that any and all the defenceman would be able to move the puck with authority. Our defenceman can’t even make a 10 foot pass for fcuksakes.

70. hunter1909 says:

Out comes the mighty powerplay

71. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

P.S. The shot from the blue line without anyone screening or in position to deflect is pretty useless (Nurse, Klef).

72. OmJo says:

Omg Nuge and McDavid are on the ice at the same time and not by accident!!!!!!!

73. Pouzar says:

Maroon standing off to the side. Nice.

74. russ99 says:

Oh my god. We got a shot on net! It took 30 seconds of man advantage possession.

75. dannyboy says:

Whats the deal with puljujarvi. Is he sick? I cant seem him scratches for poor play.

76. StixMalone says:

Predictable but better

77. Munny says:

Well, at least we spent most of this powerplay in their zone for a change.

#smallconsolation

78. flyfish1168 says:

Not one time was anyone in place for a one-timer

79. russ99 says:

flyfish1168,

Aggravating.

If we keep it, The puck might magically glide into the net.

80. hunter1909 says:

Fuck this powerplay it’s never going to score anyway.

Give me OTC. He’d have these fancy Dan’s playing Route One hockey in no time. Probably he sticks Nurse on McDavid’s starboard side, to make a statement lol.

81. StixMalone says:

Almost 50 minutes gone and only 1 goal against the worst team…..wake up guys.

82. Pouzar says:

Hire this man!

Frank Seravalli‏Verified account
    @frank_seravalli
    Ron Hextall can be heard screaming from changing room. “That’s f—ing embarrassing! Jesus f—ing Christ!” and slammed door.

83. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Oilers seem to be turning into a team that relies mostly on the rush to score. Only problem is they don’t have as many horses who can do that now. Where’s the cycle game that these big guys were brought in for?

On the other hand, we can agree McLellan was nuts to stack the McDavid line. 🙂

85. wood99 says:

If I’m the opposing team I put four players on McDavid and don’t worry about any other oilers on the ice. We can’t pass,hit the net or sustain any pressure. PATHETIC!!!!!

86. Munny says:

Who but Drai can make that pass?

87. Evilas says:

What an ugly Pp

They need a damn trigger man.

Do they know that Sleppy can shoot? How about Kassian?

Man is this frustrating to watch. They only have 21 shots….wow, just wow

88. hunter1909 says:

Everyone’s going for the big play.

No worrying about scoring. But going for the big play.

89. StixMalone says:

wood99:
    If I’m the opposing team I put four players on McDavid and don’t worry about any other oilerson the ice. We can’t pass,hit the net or sustain any pressure. PATHETIC!!!!!

Most teams do

90. Munny says:

On the other hand, we can agree McLellan was nuts to stack the McDavid line.

lol!

91. Gret99zky says:

my god that ice is shit

92. hunter1909 says:

On the other hand, we can agree McLellan was nuts to stack the McDavid line. 🙂

TMac’s starting to look like he’s got little imagination.

That Carolina coach who schooled the dunderhead MacT in game 7 in 2006 would do wonders with this team.

93. hags9k says:

Slepyshev has had a strong game to my eye. Too many passengers though.

94. hunter1909 says:

Gret99zky:
    my god that ice is shit

Best in the NHL.

95. Munny says:

Wow. Fracking Wedgewood and his fancy china

96. danny says:

I think they have to seriously consider a coaching change. I don’t think this is entirely TM’s fault, but it’s situation critical now, and losing two must win games against the two worst teams in the league, in such a listless manner, is not something you can’t pretend didn’t happen. Something is off, and it really is starting to stink.

97. StixMalone says:

Get Connor some wingers …..#Free McDavid

98. BONE207 says:

By the way…who’s winning the battle of the defenseman?
    Russell vs Demers

99. Scungilli Slushy says:

I’m thinking if there needs to be a coaching change it’s the assistants. I’ll take Adam Oates as O coach and Nik Lidstrom for D. There seems to be a lack of creativity. And for Pete’s sake (and Todd’s) either lighten up (as in World Cup) and let them play or set some definite plays they can work toward executing.

100. hunter1909 says:

Best not to sack the powerplay coach. Might disrupt team chemistry.

101. wood99 says:

Does maclellan ever talk to the players when they come off the ice or just continue that mean looking stare that the Accomplices nothing. Not a word said after that pathetic powerplay.

102. Surrey Oiler says:

Can we buy a goal?

103. hunter1909 says:

Cammilari and Lucic with McDavid should be a firing offence alone.

104. OriginalPouzar says:

Is this not the time where you move Drai up to 1RW?

105. Réal Goudenyéu says:

These guys know they could try this hard from pick drop right?

106. russ99 says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Agree. It’s utter chaos in the offensive zone. Every man for himself.

107. hunter1909 says:

Seeing it’s the Oilers who perpetually torment us fans…

Personally I want a coaching change. I want blood!

108. StixMalone says:

Réal Goudenyéu:
    These guys know they could try this hard from pick drop right?

Never want to make anything easy do they!

109. Réal Goudenyéu says:

russ99: Agree. It’s utter chaos in the offensive zone. Every man for himself.

Same as the defensive zone – man coverage is rediculous.

110. BONE207 says:

Dynamite duo if the night: Whiskey & Hunter
    Put skates on those boys!!!

111. StixMalone says:

Réal Goudenyéu: Same as the defensive zone – man coverage is rediculous.

Maybe the coaches are letting them play cause they don’t have a plan

112. OriginalPouzar says:

Hurricanes make it to OT seemingly on the back of Stuart Skinner who has 41 saves on 44 shots in regulation.

Benson with on points and 1 shot through 2.

113. Munny says:

29 & 97 reunited

114. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Trying to pass it in…

115. russ99 says:

I’m dreading that Leafs game.

Goddamn it Leon, shoot the puck.

116. OmJo says:

If you can’t beat em, beat em!

117. hunter1909 says:

Great play by OEL

118. Scungilli Slushy says:

For me the step behind stone hands guys are getting a little, tiring. As I watch young players fly around and attacking with art and vigour. Not our guys sadly. Plodding.

119. wood99 says:

I can already hear the post game interview. I thought we started slow but I thought we really really kept to our game plan and just got a little unfortunate that we didn’t get some bounces,but we got to stick to the plan.We all have to be better…..blah blah blaw

120. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

FFS we had the puck, refs shouldn’t blow that down.

121. Gret99zky says:

hunter1909: Best in the NHL.

boing, boing, boing!

122. Munny says:

Benning blows one by China-boy!!!!

Benning shot it, no idea who tipped it in or if it was a high stick.

124. OmJo says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Sincere question, how often do coaching changes just involve the assistants?

125. OriginalPouzar says:

That’s a big goal.

Its weird though – I just read 100 comments that we had lost!

126. russ99 says:

Thank god.

127. Gerta Rauss says:

128. StixMalone says:

Now open the floodgates please!

129. OmJo says:

Benning!

130. treevojo says:

Huge goal

131. BONE207 says:

Was that noise the creak of flood gates?

132. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Nothing going right for the home team but when you don’t bring your best effort until the 3rd period that’s what happens.

133. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Looch with an assist?

134. treevojo says:

Back from old man soccer just in time

135. danny says:

OriginalPouzar:
    That’s a big goal.

Its weird though – I just read 100 comments that we had lost!

There’s 5 minutes left.

136. russ99 says:

That’s how we can win, have the opposition spear their goalie.

137. StixMalone says:

Shot on net with traffic in front that’s what you need to do it’s quite simple…..

138. treevojo says:

What did I miss?

139. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Nugey with the deflection. Yay, a blue line shot with a tip and screen. That does work.

140. deardylan says:

StixMalone:
    Let’s get the tying goal and then open the flood gates….

Open the floodgates baby!

Cheers Stixmalone and Dickey94! 🙂

141. wood99 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Agreed,don’t understand why we can’t play three periods at this pace.

142. LadiesloveSmid says:

Need that throat slash from OEL to get Wedgewodeur off his game

143. BONE207 says:

StixMalone:

Or have your shot deflect off their guy

144. Evilas says:

So when will Bear be NHL ready? Need more Dmen to get point shots through like that.

Good for Benning!

Now go get another one boys!!

145. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Wasn’t that a goal by RNH? I am in Tokyo so maybe I have a different feed. 😉

146. Munny says:

Drew right, looks like Nuge.

147. Dicky94 says:

One more rum….I mean goal!!

148. LadiesloveSmid says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

See a good enough angle? thought it just hit the D

149. Pouzar says:

If it makes it to OT, Oilers are undefeated when I don’t watch. Just sayin.

150. deardylan says:

danny: There’s 5 minutes left.

There is still time in this game and in this season!!

151. russ99 says:

Gotta give Nuge huge credit for that. Crash the net and tip it in.

152. Pouzar says:

Munny:
    Drew right, looks like Nuge.

Think that was tipped before Nuge. *shrug*

153. OriginalPouzar says:

Evilas:
    So when will Bear be NHL ready?Need more Dmen to get point shots through like that.

Good for Benning!

Now go get another one boys!!

I think the question is when will he be ready to play in the AHL? He’s missed 8 straight with a concussion.

154. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

LadiesloveSmid: See a good enough angle? thought it just hit the D

I could be wrong. I thought it went in off Nuge from over here on the initial shot, but I am about 8,000km away. Ha ha.

155. Scungilli Slushy says:

That was well played by Nuge. Pinned his man to delay him and came out front ahead. Benning with a nicely timed shot that had some mustard on it.

156. BONE207 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Wasn’t that a goal by RNH? I am in Tokyo so maybe I have a different feed.

If you squint you’ll see it

157. wood99 says:

Sincere question,do you think the players are tuning out Todd Mcllelland. Maybe his style is getting tired after three years.

158. Johnny skid says:

hunter1909:
    Best not to sack the powerplay coach. Might disrupt team chemistry.

lol now that is funny!

159. wood99 says:

The reason I ask this question is that we do not look like the same team and yet we have the same players for the most part.

160. Melvis says:

wood99,

But I’ve never seen him in a window pane check before.

161. Evilas says:

OriginalPouzar,

I know, just need to see more shots get through from the point, EB seems to have that ability.

162. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Good to see/hear the DJ in Edmonton still playing the worst music for a game tied with a couple of minutes left. “Everybody dance now!” yeah…okay…sure

163. fishman says:

Evilas,

You know Bear hasn’t been playing for a number of games. Concussion.

164. Munny says:

Melvis:
    wood99,

But I’ve never seen him in a window pane check before.

Was actually thinking this earlier. And the colours!

165. BONE207 says:

Almost time to pull the goalie…oh wait

166. Scungilli Slushy says:

I would describe the Oiler breakout as ‘Hot Potato’, at least by the D. If there were any forwards involved I’d have something for them.

167. StixMalone says:

wood99:

Jay Woodcroft took away Xbox privelages and team is pouting…l

168. russ99 says:

wood99:

Good question.

The Mike Keenan fire and brimstone approach does have a short shelf life, three years for Iron Mike himself.

But Todd doesn’t always seem that way, I don’t see him as only a gruff persona, and he’s got the reputation as a good man manager off the ice with San Jose and Detroit.

I think what they did last year to make them so successful has gotten away from them. Plus McLellan’s constant line shuffling doesn’t help.

169. wood99 says:

Melvis,

What?

170. Evilas says:

What would it take to pry OEL from the Yotes? He’s been a beast for years and he looks great in this game.

171. wood99 says:

StixMalone,

Hahahaha 😂

172. StixMalone says:

Evilas:
    What would it take to pry OEL from the Yotes?He’s been a beast for years and he looks great in this game.

McDavid

173. OmJo says:

OT.

I think we win this game ladies and gentlemen.

174. Evilas says:

No Looch in OT please…

175. LadiesloveSmid says:

You just know an OEL wrister will win it

176. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Evilas:

People used to say Taylor Hall. Then other people would say no way, that would be an overpay.

Ha ha
    Too easy not to take that one.

Where’s ver.dad when you need him?

177. Munny says:

They’re such a good transition team, we could easily lose this OT

178. StixMalone says:

Evilas:
    No Looch in OT please…

I think he was out there ffs

179. OmJo says:

This isn’t supposed to be happening!

180. wood99 says:

Ekman Larson is a stud.

181. Lucinius says:

Nurse is not the d-man I would have chosen to go with McDavid and Drai.

182. StixMalone says:

Yotes with speed to burn…

183. russ99 says:

Our forwards making nice defensive plays in OT.

184. wood99 says:

Talbot with some huge saves for us!

185. OmJo says:

Evilas:
    No Looch in OT please…

Need to save him for the shootout.

186. Munny says:

Lazy pass by McD.

187. StixMalone says:

Posts saving our asses

188. russ99 says:

Two crossbars. Wow.

189. LadiesloveSmid says:

Dismal defensive play in OT, good gord

190. Evilas says:

This OT makes no sense, what is happening?

191. OmJo says:

The Coyotes are a fun team to watch.

Shame nobody watches them.

192. wood99 says:

Win a draw for eff sakes.

193. OriginalPouzar says:

Nuge for the win!

194. Munny says:

GOLDEN FUKKIN NUGGET!!!!

195. treevojo says:

The nuge

196. Lucinius says:

Munny:
    Lazy pass by McD.

A lot of those tonight (and by many a player). Very disheartening to see those kind of passes, especially in OT.

197. StixMalone says: