AHL Game 20: Barracuda at Condors

On  a day when the Oilers reclaimed former Oklahoma City Barons defender Brandon Davidson, and the day after former Condor Jujhar Khaira scored a big goal, it’s fitting we end the day talking about the minor league team. So far this season, Bakersfield delivered Jesse Puljujarvi, Anton Slepyshev and Nick Ellis north to Edmonton, how many true “prospects” are left in California?

CURRENT CONDORS

It’s an interesting group, led by a promising trio of new pro defensemen (Bear, Jones, Mantha) but there’s lots of AHL veterans driving the results in Bakersfield. Earlier this month, I completed my “Winter Top 20” over at The Athletic, with Bear, Jones, Ellis, Simpson and Mantha the only Condors on the list. Rattie and Laleggia narrowly missed making the list and I did consider Kyle Platzer and Joe Gambardella.

There could be someone on this roster who emerges, a Brian Ferlin or a Grayson Downing. That said, the kids on the farm worth paying attention to right now are all defensemen.

20 Responses to "AHL Game 20: Barracuda at Condors"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Have we heard any actual intel on the timeline for Bear?

Maybe we should put a “call in” to Ryan Holt or something?

Pakarinen (1) from Laleggia and Malone on the power play.

3. AntsOfTheSky says:

Lol I love that photo. The look on the Texas players face as he hits the ice, the shocked faces of the ladies in the stands, great stuff!

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Pak should be a good addition to the Condors.

He can score at the AHL level.

AntsOfTheSky:
    Lol I love that photo.The look on the Texas players face as he hits the ice, the shocked faces of the ladies in the stands, great stuff!

Great photo by Williams. Khaira got suspended for it btw.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

Invites to Team Canada’s tryouts for the WJHC will be announced on Tuesday.

The tryouts take place on Dec 12-15.

I can’t imagine Benson not being invited to the tryouts – I mean, he was invited to the orientation camp this summer and named to the WHL team for the Russian series.

He’s clearly on Team Canada’s radar.

I don’t know what his odds are of making the team itself but I imagine he’ll be invited to the tryouts.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m curious as to if/when Starret will get a start for the Condors.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Speaking of the world juniors, I assume that Safin will be on the Czech team and Samorukov on the Russian team.

I’m also going to guess that Wells and Skinner will be invited to the Team Canada tryouts (they were both invited to orientation camp) but they’ve both had periods of struggle early on so I’m not so sure either will make it – Wells more likely.

9. deardylan says:

Came back from a weekend hiking/camping trip near Vung Tau to a one-monk-pagoda. This monk lives by himself on the hillside waking up a 3am to do meditation. No wifi up there, no computer, no mobile – his greatest app is lighter to make a fire to make boiling hot green bamboo leaf tea! The greatest entertainment there was sunset, full moon and sunrise. haha

When I arrived back in Saigon straight into burning hot shower with Dr. Bronners castile soap burning my skin clean, and into bathrobe catching up on Oilers. (Bruce Springsteen’s first band The Castilles was named after this epic soap!)

First site…Lowetide Read the intro to the game and comments instead of checking the “box-score” from nhl.com. Funny comments more interesting than the box score. haha. Especially Hunter’s comedy was on fire.

Noticed a change in comments–they seem to more lighthearted and less weighty than earlier in the season. With less expectation of winning Stanley cup, so many of our top players out…seems we can have a bit more fun. Loosen up. Score with words. And maybe that is what is happening with Oilers. Lestestu, Khaira, Kassian our smiling snipers these days makes me smile.

No pressure boyz… get out there and have fun. Especially Dr. Dre and #ShazamStrome. Why so serious??!!

10. BONE207 says:

AntsOfTheSky:

And don’t forget…that ad for Weinerschnitzel.com…mmm…weiner schnitzel….

11. SoCaloil says:

Interesting to see Davidson getting picked up and Simpson not getting an opportunity.
    I am guessing the writing is on the wall for him
    I wonder …when Sekera gets back…do we waive Gryba and use Simpson as 7D. That would be swell.

12. deardylan says:

We are behind our Oil, we are gonna have fun with the rest of the season no matter what happens. I am especially buoyed by having Puljujärvi from Älvkarleby on the 1st line.

Love how he sticks out his tongue like Michael Jordan would do when he was having fun and in the flow.

Pulju Järvi

I translated Puljujärvi from Finnish. And I could be wrong although means something like “Bountiful Lake” and is a wilderness area in Lapland. 🙂

As he lives up to his name it means going to be a bountiful catch by the Oilers to pick him up in draft!!

Puljujärvi

“a large sized body of prolific talent who provided a bountiful supply of fresh goals for Oilers”

synonyms: abundant, plentiful, ample, bumper, superabundant, inexhaustible, prolific, profuse, teeming, copious, prodigal, considerable, vast, immense, great, liberal, lavish, generous, princely, handsome, luxuriant, rich!!

13. OriginalPouzar says:

I’ve said many times that I would be comfortable with Simpson on the 3rd paring here and there.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him at the NHL level (small sample size) – there is nothing fancy about his game but he seems to be able to limit mistakes and plays a simple game.

I think part it is that they really like him as an AHL-veteran mentor for the rookie pros down in Bakersfield and want to keep him there to pair with one of the youngsters.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

Will be interesting to see what the lines and pairings are at practice today.

Does Walker and or Slepy get a spot on one of the lines? Drake is the one guy that should/could come out for Slep but coach will never healthy scratch Drake and I can’t see the fourth line broken up to get Walker in the lineup.

The Auvitu/Gryba pairing had a nice game against the flames.

With Gryba going plus 4 with 2 points, I imagine we see a Davidson/Gryba third pairing.

15. deardylan says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Will be interesting to see what the lines and pairings are at practice today.

OP,

How do you feel about Davidson being picked up on waivers?

Something I can’t understand. Our D hasn’t changed much from last year, has it? Nurse was iffy last year and now so strong. Klefbom was getting better and better and was gonna be stronger 1st line this year. Shouldn’t we be much better than 29th in league even without Sekera?

Will it help bring our D move up from current 29/31 place or do we need to wait for Sekera to come back or is something else missing?

16. OriginalPouzar says:

I like the Davidson pick-up.

Both Auvitu and Gryba have had uneven seasons and the more depth cover we have at the NHL level the better. I like Gryba as a #7D but, as soon as he plays more than a game or two in a row, his speed gets exposed and he loses coverage and takes penalties – he is simply playing too much.

Davidson adds another NHL option to the bottom pairing and gives the coach options so he does not have to use Gryba every game. No, its not going to transform out D in to a Stanley Cup caliber defence but its a fairly minor tweak that could have benefits on the ice. One last Gryba PIM/game can be the difference between 2 points and 0 points.

Our defence is essentially the same as last year except we are down arguably our best D-man and our steadiest 2-way defender. The loss of Sekera cannot be understated – he is the veteran stabilizing presence on the back-end that zooms his partner and plays in all situations. Without Sekera, others are playing up the lineup – his presence will knock players back down the lineup and reduce their minutes and responsibilities.

The following looks like a very strong back-end to me:

Klefbom/Larsson
    Nurse/Russel
    Sekera/Benning

Davidson.

Gryba and Auvitu as injury call-ups.

17. Yeti says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I like the Davidson pick-up.

The following looks like a very strong back-end to me:

Klefbom/Larsson
    Nurse/Russel
    Sekera/Benning

Davidson.

Gryba and Auvitu as injury call-ups.

This!

18. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Yeti,

– There are a couple things though that I don’t get:

1) Auvitu, Davidson, Gryba: that’s 3 D on our roster that have to go through wires
    2) I know the blog has love for Davidson, but shouldn’t Simpson/Lowe/Stanton/Fayne in the minors get looks (well clearly Fyne won’t)

– On the other hand:
    1) No mention or props to Chi for not giving anything up and doing the cheap and cheerful pickup of an energy 4rth liner and a tweener D: wy better than trading assets.

– These are the moves of a smart GM IMO

– Give Brossoit another start or two: he’s no Grant Fuhr, but they won the game with him, the team and LB can be way better in these situations going forward. Give him a few more starts,, he won!

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, Auvitu and Gryba need to go through the waiver wire but that’s fine. If they clear, great for Bakersfield. If they get picked, which is unlikely (especially with Gryba signed for next year) then we lose a contract off the 50.

At the end of the day, the organization made the decision that Davidson is “better” than either of those two so he steps ahead of them on our depth chart.

One would think that Simpson would get a shot, and I like Dillon, however, I’m thinking they like him as a “veteran” presence in the AHL helping mentor our young first year pro d-men and playing with them.

I could be wrong but that’s my though on why Simpson hasn’t got a re-call yet.

At the end of the day, our third pairing has had an up and down season and it has cost us games – improving it (presumably) with a Brandon Davidson for free was a very low risk and decent reward move in my opinion.

Brandon loves the Oilers and I think he will/has/can perform better as an Oiler than playing for any other NHL team.

20. fishman says:

Free Simpson! Not likely to happen now with Davy back. I like the pick up and hope he can get his game back!