The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

My Dad used to MacGyver things to make them go. We got a leaky rad one time on summer holidays, it was an old Vauxhall (we always had the weirdest cars when I was a kid) so we’d all chew Wrigley’s Spearmint gum, then spit it (ew) and hand it to Dad. He would plug the leak, and we’d drive until things got heated.

The Edmonton Oilers are in a similar spot. Using actual assets to address goaltending short term (Talbot will be back, remember) seems a waste, so the ‘chewing gum’ solution seems the right call here. After last night’s game, two things are clear: The Edmonton Oilers are still in it, and Laurent Brossoit is perhaps too much of an adventure at this time.

THE ATHLETIC

Great new offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

LONG DECEMBER, YEAR OVER YEAR

• December 2015: 1-0-0, goal differential 0
  • December 2016: 1-0-0, goal differential +3
  • December 2017: 1-0-0, goal differential +2

That was a crazy game last night but it was a win and that’s all that counts. Edmonton’s schedule eases during January, vitally important the team stays in the race during the lead up to the New Year.

AFTER 27, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 10-15-2, goal differential -15
  • Oilers 16-17: 14-10-3, goal differential +10
  • Oilers 17-18: 11-14-2, goal differential -13

The goals for are coming on now, Edmonton’s forwards are sorting themselves out (more in a minute). The goaltending is not right and that’s becoming a major issue. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a trade before the Philly game.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DECEMBER

• On the road to: Calgary (Expected: 0-0-1) (Actual: 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Philadelphia (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual: 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Montreal, Toronto, Columbus (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Nashville (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: San Jose, St. Louis, Montreal (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Winnipeg (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Chicago, Winnipeg (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-6-2, 12 points in 13 games
  • Current results: 1-0-0, two points in one game

If the Oilers could find a way to capture 16-18 points (say 8-3-2) we could talk about the good schedule ahead. After that third period last night, suggesting 8-3-2 is impossible. We’re going to find out about this organization’s opinion re: Brossoit in the coming days. Nick Ellis might see his NHL debut against the Flyers.

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Nurse-Russell went 12-11 together in 13 minutes, 3-1 in HDSC and 1-2 in GF. I liked the pairing again, WG has been trumpeting this duo for some time and perhaps we see them remain a pairing when Larsson returns. Mobile and aggressive. Went 7-5 against Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland.
  • Klefbom-Benning were 16-16 in 13 minutes 2-4 HDSC and 0-1 in GF. I was encouraged by this pairing, specifically Klefbom who is rounding into form. Benning takes a lot of punishment, I hope he can find a way to take fewer hits to make plays. Went 5-4 against Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik.
  • Auvitu-Gryba are The Odd Couple, going 8-13 in 12 minutes (notice the equal minutes for the three pairs), 2-0 in GF and 2-2 in HDSC’s. Gryba had a nice recovery game, Auvitu looks one part chaos, one part puck mover extraordinaire, one part Drake Caggiula. Seriously. Change your number! Went 5-2 against Bennett-Jankowski-Jagr.
  • Laurent Brossoit stopped 29 of 34, .853. He is losing his hold on an NHL job.
  • Natural Stat Trick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Maroon-Nuge-Cammalleri went 13-6 together, 2-1 GF, 1-1 HDSC. I think Slepyshev should get this shot, hope he’s back in against Philly This line isn’t getting enough scoring chances, which sounds ridiculous on a night when the collective boxcars count 2-1-3. Went 9-4 against Bennett-Jankowski-Jagr.
  • Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi went 15-9, 2-0 in GF and 3-5 in HDSC. Line scored 3-3-6, Puljujarvi scored twice and that’s a big damned deal. Line went 11-9 against Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik, 2-0  in GF. That’s a helluva battle but I think 97 won the day. JP, man. The Finnish Horse.
  • Caggiula-Draisaitl-Strome were 10-13, 0-1 GF and 2-3 HDSC’s. This line had some looks, I think Leon is finding the range now. Caggiula had one of his better games, Strome made some good plays. Trio went 6-9 against Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland in 6:16 (0-0 GF), that’s a big assignment.
  • Khaira-Letestu-Kassian were 4-13 (Khaira) and 2-8 (Kassian) with the center. All three mean posted crooked numbers in the boxcars, Khaira a lovely goal and Letestu cashed his breakaway. I am loving this line despite the fact they got caved in possession. Went 3-6 with Hathaway-Stajan-Brouwer, Hathaway was filthy on one shift with hits to Maroon and Benning (Edmonton getting the penalty).

THE GOOD

The mannish boy is finding his way. Jesse Puljujarvi has sorted some things out in that giant cranium and is running with the lead horses in this current window. Two goals last night gives him four in 10 games, and now we can talk about the Oilers problem solving internally. Getting JP established this season—even a 15-goal campaign—sets up next fall and Kailer Yamamoto as (possibly) 2R. You can get a lot from a losing season, and good teams do just that thing.

THE BAD

The Oilers didn’t push in the third period, laying back for the onslaught. That’s not going to work for this team, they need more OZ time. We’ll talk about the goalie in a minute but if you go back and watch that third period, very rare to see the Oilers playing full press in Calgary’s zone (or even playing it straight up when the road team had the puck in Calgary’s end). Too passive.

THE UGLY

Laurent Brossoit was letting them in from below the Equator and a contending team (I’m not sure the Oilers are, but let’s pretend) can’t have that rolling around in their mind. At least two goals (and as many as four) were poor and the goal line shots were bizarre. LB had a bad game and there may a hitch in his giddyup. Peter Chiarelli and the Edmonton Oilers have a decision to make, I believe the organization as a whole are devoted to this young goalie. Are they prepared to risk the season on him? Stay tuned.

GOD’S FLASHLIGHT

In 2016-17, the year before he was traded, Jordan Eberle posted a 5×5/60 scoring total of 1.76. I  call this measure God’s flashlight because there’s no way to avoid the terribleness and the glorious. I’ve always believed the top line should be over 2.00/60, the second line north of (about) 1.80, and anyone over 1.50/60 from the third and fourth lines is going well. Let’s have a look.

1. Connor McDavid 2.67
  2. Leon Draisaitl 2.63
  3. Milan Lucic 2.48
  4. Jujhar Khaira 2.27
  5. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 2.20
  6. Mike Cammalleri 1.90
  7. Patrick Maroon 1.80
  8. Jesse Puljujarvi 1.80
  9. Zack Kassian 1.60
  10. Ryan Strome 1.46
  11. Mark Letestu 1.38
  12. Drake Caggiula 1.36
  13. Source

There are some nice numbers here, five players over 2.00/60. Some of this is small sample size, Khaira has played 14 of 27 games and only recently gained a prominent role. McDavid, Draisaitl and Lucic do have previous seasons of over 2.00/60 and the Nuge did it as a rookie and was close one other time. The 5×5 scoring portion of this team is damned good, truth to tell, but most other elements are on fire.

TODD MCLELLAN

Congratulations to Todd McLellan on his 400th NHL win. That’s a helluva accomplishment.

245 Responses to "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly"

Newer Comments »
  1. OriginalPouzar says:

I am highly encouraged by the way this team has started to play at evens over the last bit.

They dominated two good teams at even strength for 4 of the last 6 periods (and I’m confident it would have been for 3 periods last night if the goalie didn’t provide life and momentum).

Those two even strength efforts without two of the top 3 D is very encouraging.

Time to rest up with three days off and get ready for more of the same on Wed.

2. Jethro Tull says:

LB way too deep in his net. Also, base line shots that go in usually either mean the goalie wasn’t ready or he doesn’t trust his d to box out the front of the net or pick upbthe far side guy joining the play. He cheats and gets set for the push across. Works in lower leagues, but this is the bigs and even half an inch from free net encourages shooting.

On Cassie Campbell: Fine with her commentary, better than Remander but she is soooo monotone. Drink a cup of whatever Drew drinks before the game Cass!

3. Captain Smarmy says:

I would agree on not blowing assets on a stopgap in the top six or top four defense. That would cost real assets.

Goalies are easy enough to find for a much lower cost. Go find something. This is bad.

4. slopitch says:

I actually only watched the first 2 periods last night. Normally I’d never miss the oilers up 6-1 on the Flames. Bizarre 3rd. The oilers are several points back and I think LB costs them 2-4 points till Talbot is back. After Reinhart, Talbot and the Chai pick out the door, I don’t think the system is deep enough to spend a significant asset on a goalie. But if it were me, it would be Ellis or acquiring a goalie. LB can pleasantly surprise as well, but I wouldn’t make that bet.

Drai, McDavid and Nuge on separate lines seems like a much different team.

5. Ron Chipperfield says:

give Ellis the Philly game and get Chevy ready on speed dial. We gotta get through Dec and these injuries with at least an 8 irons chance of the playoffs.

6. innercitysmytty says:

Interesting, if we’d held that lead at 6-1 last night we’d have the exact same goal differential as Calgary (assuming my math is right factoring out the SO goals), and yet they are 5 points ahead with a game in hand. Maybe our season’s haven’t been that different? Looking at our 5×5 stats, including goal scoring, shot share and goal share we look like a decent team. Special teams with some goaltending mixed in are killing us. I have confidence they can fix the PP (with Sekera’s help) and Talbot will stabilize when he’s back (including helping the PK), but we need to get through this next couple of weeks 1-2 games over .500 somehow and also fix the PK and I don’t see that happening with LB in net and Larsson on IR.

7. Dicky94 says:

Really hope the Oilers claimed Davidson. Oilers should not wait until the Flyer game to see if Ellis is ready. They need a decent backup goalie with NHL experience. I think LB will be a good goalie in time but just not getting enough games played behind Talbot.

8. Ben says:

Question for the whole class: if Pedro Chipotle is going goalie shopping, where/at whom does he look? Halak?

9. Ice Sage says:

“You can get a lot from a losing season, and good teams do just that thing”

Elegant summary of what’s to come!

Sample size, score effects and recency bias are usually quoted here but don’t seem to apply to this young tender, Mr. B, today! His technical glitches last night are eminently fixable (and he did hold the fort early on, remember). Goalies develop by sundial, a wise dude once said, but they also develop in a super-crooked line. Let’s not make him Dubnyk part deux

Nurse’s mobility and propensity for lugging the puck out when there are no other options compensates for Russell’s weaknesses on zone exits.

Nurse will just skate the damn puck out rather than let Russell reset and rim it.

11. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Brossoit’s numbers are weird.

Over the last two seasons his GSAA/100 (all situations) is -1.27

That ranks 53rd among the 63 goalies who have played at least 700 minutes this year and last. I set the bar there so LB would qualify as he’s 741 min.

So immediately you say “not a NHL goalie so far” and you move on.

BUT WAIT!!

THERE’S MORE!!!

corsica.hockey breaks saves down into Low Danger (LD), Medium Danger (MD) and High Danger (HD).

These are determined by shot location and type.

Most of the best goalies rank high on HDSV%

So where does Brossoit rank among those 63 goalies in HDSV?

1st.

No shit.

LB has a HDSV% of .877. The median is .793. Talbot is 23rd with a .796

So, what’s up with the GSAA?

LB is right in the middle with his LDSV% of .977 (which is also the median)

That leaves us with MDSV%

LB is 63rd.

DFL.

MDSV% is .832. The median is .918

I’m not sure where those goal line shots rank in terms of LD, MD and HD, but I’m damn sure they’re not HD, and I’m pretty sure they’re not MD either.

So what do you do with him?

Can you teach him to be better on MDSV?

I have my own theory, and I have almost nothing to base this on but intuition and eyesight.

I don’t think LB is a “natural goalie” though.

He gets beat high from the top of the circle.

He gets beat low blocker from the high circle.

NHL players can find his holes from distance when they get a chance and he’s not a “reaction” goalie.

He has excellent form, especially in close, but I’m not sure he makes saves as much as he’s hit by the puck due to his good form.

I could just be making up a narrative to fit the numbers, but I remember Neal beating him twice high glove from 60 feet and both times LB didn’t move at all. He just waited for the puck to hit him.

I think its this style that also creates a lot of rebounds (waiting for the puck to hit)

He’s probably the best goalie not in the NHL right now.

12. JAG-041 says:

Definitely thought Cassie Campbell gave some really interesting and legit analysis last night.
    The difference in quality of analysis was super noticeable to me, liked her much more than Remenda, (who I don’t like as an announcer but my mom met him once and he was nice to her so she likes him and it’s hard to go against my mom on character judgements)

13. OilClog says:

Why the hell would anyone go after Halak, thats a terrible use of cap space.

Vegas has 46 goalies apparently that can stop the puck?

When Talbs is back does he play 98% of the games? Is his upper body injury associated with fatigue?

14. teddyturnbuckle says:

LB was terrible last night and it is clear Todd was avoiding giving him starts earlier in season and now we see why. No way we can go forward with this tandem of Talbot and LB. Talbot is inconsistent and We need a proven veteran backup to win us games on his off nights.

15. OilClog says:

JAG-041:

Hmmm they’re both milk on a sweaty summer day

Give us back Louie you media bastards!

16. StixMalone says:

Woodguy v2.0,

But Lou is certainly gonna Snow Chia……

17. StixMalone says:

OilClog,

I also like Ferraro but he’s on a different network

18. OriginalPouzar says:

“Getting JP established this season—even a 15-goal campaign—sets up next fall and Kailer Yamamoto as (possibly) 2R. You can get a lot from a losing season, and good teams do just that thing.”

Kailer Yamamoto or Tyler Benson.

The one thing holding Benson back is skating – hopefully he is able to improve.

Both are likely one full AHL season away but we’ll know more in October.

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Not often does a team win a game when their goalie is bad, let alone real bad – the Oilers just did – on the road against a division rival – I’ll take it every single day.

20. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Brossoit’s numbers are weird.

Over the last two seasons his GSAA/100 (all situations) is -1.27

That ranks 53rd among the 63 goalies who have played at least 700 minutes this year and last.I set the bar there so LB would qualify as he’s 741 min.

So immediately you say “not a NHL goalie so far” and you move.

BUT WAIT!!

THERE’S MORE!!!

These are determined by shot location and type.

Most of the best goalies rank high on HDSV%

So where does Brossoit rank among those 63 goalies in HDSV?

1st.

No shit.

LB has a HDSV% of .877.The median is .793.Talbot is 23rd with a .796

So, what’s up with the GSAA?

LB is right in the middle with his LDSV% of .977 (which is also the median)

That leaves us with MDSV%

LB is 63rd.

DFL.

MDSV% is .832.The median is .918

So what do you do with him?

Can you teach him to be better on MDSV?

I have my own theory, and I have almost nothing to base this on buy intuition and eye site.

I think LB has been taught technical goalering very well and he’s been an excellent student.He’s made it to the NHL.

I don’t think LB is a “natural goalie” though.

He gets beat high from the top of the circle.

He gets beat low blocker from the high circle.

I could just be making up a narrative to fit the numbers, but I remember Neal beating him twice high glove from 60 feet and both times LB didn’t move at all.He just waited for the puck to hit him.

He’s probably the best goalie not in the NHL right now.

21. Woodguy v2.0 says:

godot10:

Good point.

Maybe that’s why they work well together.

22. teddyturnbuckle says:

Put Ellis in if you can’t make a trade in time.

23. Pouzar says:

Wow.

Yikes LB.

I thought Nuge line missed Sleppy. At least they had zone time with him on the ice.

Oh, Nurse is a stud. Scoring at evens now folks. Bona fide.

24. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Whodathunkit? #oddtrends

Also agree, Ellis should get the nod. While it was only preseason, I watched him and LB very closely (same game split, actually) and Ellis has comparable technical skill but stands out with incredible rebound control.

25. StixMalone says:

Is the Australian Gretzky in town yet? Curious when he draws in and who comes out after this game.

26. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Good point.

Maybe that’s why they work well together.

Klefbom looking like Klefbom again. Nice sign.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

StixMalone:

I’ve been wondering myself how exactly we get him in to the next game.

Can’t break up the fourth line and we have two players than need to play in Walker and Slep.

I thought Cammy was effective last night.

This coach thinks that Drake is a legit every day NHL player moreso than Slep so, apparently, he never comes out of the lineup.

Walker and Slep may need to wait.

28. fishman says:

StixMalone:
    OilClog,

I also like Ferraro but he’s on a different network

My favourite as well! Tells it like it is (although some may not appreciate that honesty!)

29. fishman says:

Woodguy v2.0: Good point.

Maybe that’s why they work well together.

30. gogliano says:

This team has gone 1.5 years without an adequate NHL backup. I’m lukewarm on Chia but this is on him. Truth is we were lucky last year re: Talbot’s health and endurance.

I’m happy with giving Ellis a start but a bona fide NHL backup isn’t a bad investment even once Talbot returns. It appears there has been a disconnect between GM and Coach on the backup position and LB’s play suggests the Coach has been in the right. No sense continuing to run with a problem that has a major impact on results and is relatively cheap to fix.

Make a trade Chia.

31. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar: That’s not working well together. That’s Nurse covering his ass. He did the same for Gryba too.
    Klefbom looking like Klefbom again. Nice sign.

32. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Brossoit’s numbers are weird.

Over the last two seasons his GSAA/100 (all situations) is -1.27

So immediately you say “not a NHL goalie so far” and you move on.

BUT WAIT!!

THERE’S MORE!!!

These are determined by shot location and type.

Most of the best goalies rank high on HDSV%

So where does Brossoit rank among those 63 goalies in HDSV?

1st.

No shit.

LB has a HDSV% of .877.The median is .793.Talbot is 23rd with a .796

So, what’s up with the GSAA?

LB is right in the middle with his LDSV% of .977 (which is also the median)

That leaves us with MDSV%

LB is 63rd.

DFL.

MDSV% is .832.The median is .918

So what do you do with him?

Can you teach him to be better on MDSV?

I don’t think LB is a “natural goalie” though.

He gets beat high from the top of the circle.

He gets beat low blocker from the high circle.

He’s probably the best goalie not in the NHL right now.

I think you nailed it here. Like my comment yesterday about him having to “move his arms” which just means “react man!”

33. Dicky94 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Makes me kind of wonder if Drake isn’t the one being shopped. He could get you decent Goalie.

34. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: True, but Nurse covers Russell’s ass to the tune of almost 60%CF and that’s incredible and should be continued.

Klef-Lars
    Nurse-Russell
    Sekera-Benning

35. Justthestatsman says:

Just want to thank our gracious host for continuing to provide his insight and the opportunity for us to participate in this blog. Reading last night’s comment section was the most fun I can remember in some time. Hunter’s bandwagon Flames fan bit had me snorting out loud many times. The rest of the comment section was awesome ALL DAY LONG. If you haven’t had the chance, go back and read it from the start. You won’t be disappointed!

36. Woodguy v2.0 says:

fishman: Also allows the Swedes to get back together and then Benning/ Sekera as 3 rd pair with OV2 as number 7. Me thinks that could be a pretty good D assuming everyone can stay healthy. Balance on D would be nice.

Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping for too.

Can’t throw Seksey into the fire straight off so 3rd w/ 83 is the best spot.
    77-6
    25-4
    2-83

So we can be confident McLellan will actually roll:
    25-6
    2-4
    77-83

Book it!

37. Pouzar says:

Someone should tell TMc if he scratches JP from the lineup one more time he is gone. Man he looked good. I try to tell me Jets brethren but they snicker. F^ck those guys(Padre included!)

38. StixMalone says:

OriginalPouzar: I’ve been wondering myself how exactly we get him in to the next game.

I thought Cammy was effective last night.

Walker and Slep may need to wait.

I’m wondering if Slep is still not 100 % nothing is being said but groin injuries can nag and flare up anytime…

39. OriginalPouzar says:

Dicky94:
    OriginalPouzar,

Could be but I don’t think it has anything to do with that.

I think the organization (coach and GM) simply thinks higher than Drake that what he’s shown on the ice generally.

He was thrust in to a center role as a rookie pro last year (and a natural winger), he’s never been healthy scratched, he’s often used up the lineup over others, he’s given PP and PK time and isn’t good on either, etc.

There are plenty of more proven back-up goalies out there – Hutchison, Picard, etc. I think one could be acquired with a mid-round pick – no roster player should need to be given up.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar: Klef-Lars
    Nurse-Russell
    Sekera-Benning

For one, Benning is coming around and, for two, Sekera/Russell showed to be a decent 2nd pairing last year, I’ve got to think they’d be a very solid 3rd pairing.

Both Klef and Benning are playing better now so maybe that pairing can work better than it has earlier in the year?

41. Pouzar says:

I think Caggs is def one of Chia’s trading chips.

42. Pescador says:

flyfish1168: Great analysis WG. I do believe you are onto something when you commented that he hopes the puck hits him do to his good form.On another note, it was so noticeable last evening when he lost his confidences, he made himself look so small backing up and hiding in the net.

Brossoit is not ready for Primetime, no shame in that.
    Given where the team is at in the standings, the pressure must’ve felt immense. Not to mention Maple Leafs on home ice, Battle of Ab. Fake news media fishbowl 😁
    It’s still too early to give up on him but this is no time to be developing a young goalie.
    Start Ellis on Wednesday, trade for a stop gap, LB back to Bakersfield.

43. Pouzar says:

Jason Gregor‏Verified account
    @JasonGregor

Since 1979/1980 there has been 994 individual team seasons. Of those 994 teams, the 2017 #Oilers PK (71.4%) ranks 990th. Not since the 1986 Red Wings (71%) has a team been worse. The PK is literally killing their season.

44. dtk says:

Pouzar: I think you nailed it here. Like my comment yesterday abouthim having to “move his arms” which just means “react man!”

I thinkthat Woodguy nailed it too. Last night there were a couple times where it just looked like LB was thinking about what he should do instead of just doing it, especially when moving laterally. It reminded me of watching somebody who is learning to drive a car who is concentrating so hard on all the things that he or she was told to do (hand position on wheel, maintain speed, maintain distance from other cars, check mirrors, etc), that adding one more unexpected task, like turning on the windshield wiper, seems overwhelming.

Oilers claimed Brandon Davidson.

46. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: I know the Nurse/Russell pairing is rolling with a 60% corsi now but shouldn’t we be switching Benning and Russell?

I think the Top 4 writes itself. Your mileage may vary on the pairings there but Klef is looking better and Nurse/Russ do get the job done. But the bottom pair of Sekera/Benning is just a realization that easing Seksy into the lineup is probably the most prudent approach.

47. Pouzar says:

DAVY!!!!!!!!

48. Pouzar says:

Renaud Lavoie‏
    @renlavoietva
    11s12 seconds ago
    Oilers claims Brendan Davidson. #tvasports

49. Woodguy v2.0 says:

2-4 was not a decent 2nd pair last year.

They got buried and PDO’d the shit out of the season:

Last year 2-4:
    CF%45
    FF% 48
    SCF% 48
    GF% 62
    SV% .954
    SH% 8.06
    PDO 1035

That’s not good, that’s running hot.

25-4 this year:
    CF% 56
    FF% 61
    SCF% 67
    GF% 67
    SV% .914
    SH% 9.8
    PDO 1013

That’s very good, sustainable and only running a bit hot SH% wise.

50. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar:
    Renaud Lavoie‏
    @renlavoietva11s12 seconds ago
    Oilers claims Brendan Davidson. #tvasports

WOOOT!

51. Dicky94 says:

Pouzar,

Good stuff.

52. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar:
    I think Caggs is def one of Chia’s trading chips.

A LHD is now too with Davey back

53. innercitysmytty says:

Pouzar,

Yeah noticed that and it’s putrid. I was also looking at pp/pk stats this morning and interesting to note that three teams with middle to very good records (CAR, CLB and STL) have a combined PK/PP efficiency barely ahead of the Oilers. We’re at about 89% combined and need to get that up to at least 95% and probably close to 100% to have any shot at playoffs.

54. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: WOOOT!

Sumpins gotta give? Too many D and too many contracts.
    Davy can play right side too.

55. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar: Sumpins gotta give? Too many D and too many contracts.
    Davy can play right side too.

Yeah.

I still think Peter trades Oscar when Seksey is up to speed

56. stush18 says:

Pouzar:
    Jason Gregor‏Verified account
    @JasonGregor

Very good point.

It truly is. The oilers rank amazing to average in basically every catergory except pk.

57. texmex says:

Pouzar,

My guess is Larsson is out longer than 7 days. Stanton will be reassigned.

58. Bar_Qu says:

Oilers claimed Brandon Davidson.

Good. I have been wondering since yesterday if Davidson was not at least equal to Gryba and Auvitu. Now we will get to see. Plus, he is one of the draft over achievers the Oilers have had and it would be nice to see him to his best on our team.

59. Jethro Tull says:

This is bad news. Could mean Larsson is out longer than anticipated. Also, what makes people this is good to get Davy back? What evidence is there to support that he will be like he was before here?

60. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yeah.

I still think Peter trades Oscar when Seksey is up to speed

Man that’s madness. I don’t like it. At all.

61. LMHF#1 says:

Good claim on Davidson.

Now to get a stopgap tender. They come cheap.

62. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0: WOOOT!

We got the wrong ex-oiler from MTL.

So, how’s Davy done so far this season?

63. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

MY scouting report in Brossoit for the last 3 years has been a very good technical goalie with rather poor instincts and below average reflexes and lateral movement. He has markedly improved on his lateral movement in his last year and it’s actually good now. Still never have I thought he’d be more of a backup.

Now how do we get that Grubauer guy here.

And someone give Russell a Xanax

64. The Primordial JDi Goo says:

Davy’s back?

65. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yeah.

I still think Peter trades Oscar when Seksey is up to speed

Yeah me too. The coaching staff has been in love with Nurse for as long as they’ve been here. Sekera can’t go anywhere unless he really wants to and he’s an amazing turd polisher. We need Russell to start playing in Hossa’s equipment

66. StixMalone says:

Once an Oiler ….sheesh

67. who says:

If Nurse/Russell is working right now why would you move away from it?
    Also, despite his 2 highlight reel gaffes the last two games, Russell is playing well. Better than Benning right now.

68. Jethro Tull says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

MY scouting report in Brossoit for the last 3 years has been a very good technical goalie with rather poor instincts and below average reflexes and lateral movement.He has markedly improved on his lateral movement in his last year and it’s actually good now.Still never have I thought he’d be more of a backup.

Now how do we get that Grubauer guy here.

And someone give Russell a Xanax

69. flyfish1168 says:

Pescador: Brossoit is not ready for Primetime, no shame in that.
    Start Ellis on Wednesday, trade for a stop gap, LB back to Bakersfield.

I don’t believe LB can be sent down without clearing waivers.

70. Jethro Tull says:

Pouzar: Man that’s madness. I don’t like it. At all.

Just speculation. Hasn’t happened yet. Keep your torches dry and fry a guy when he’s actually done something wrong.

71. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woodguy v2.0: I give Ellis the net next game and see what happens and I start trying to get Pickard out of the Leafs.

He’s probably the best goalie not in the NHL right now.

Is Chiarelli’s backside healed up enough from his woodshed experiences to deal with Lou? The thought terrifies. Yikes.

72. flyfish1168 says:

Oilers claimed Brandon Davidson.

Does Davidson play some right side?

73. OmJo says:

Pouzar:
    Renaud Lavoie‏
    @renlavoietva11s12 seconds ago
    Oilers claims Brendan Davidson. #tvasports

Welcome home!

74. Woogie63 says:

1. Lucic crushes Tkchuck, zero response from Calgary, and barely hear from Tkchuck after…

2. In the 3rd period when we needed it most most Nurse WANTED to be a beast, that is a thing IMO

3. NHL refs lose credibility when in the 3rd period Maroon alone gets that penalty …1 +1 was the correct call. Scrum was three row right in front of me, plenty of pushing and shoving to even up that situation…. Russel interferes call happens ALL game long, weird time to pull the technical rule book.

4. Oilers fans traveled well last night.

75. OmJo says:

flyfish1168,

IIRC he did while he was here. I think with either Nurse or Reinhart but could be wrong.

76. The Primordial JDi Goo says:

flyfish1168: I don’t believe LB can be sent down without clearing waivers.

And after last night, clearing is not in question.

77. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Jethro Tull: We got the wrong ex-oiler from MTL.

So, how’s Davy done so far this season?

Davey this year:
    CF% 56 (+4.5 Rel)
    FF% 58 (+5.9 Rel)
    SCF% 60 (+6.9 Rel)
    GF% 40 (-10% Rel)
    SV% .892
    SH% 5.9
    PDO 951

Good to very good underlying metics.

Getting trampled by the PDO pony so of course the ex-player GM blames the player.

78. Bill says:

Wonder what Pete has up his sleeve? Claiming Davidson, Larsson hopefully back shortly, Sek hopefully back soon, Gryba, Auvitu…
    Nurse-Russell
    Klef-Larsson
    Sekera-Benning
    Davidson

As long as the 1st and 2nd round picks are off limits, give ‘er hell Chia

79. flyfish1168 says:

The Primordial JDi Goo: And after last night, clearing is not in question.

True enough

80. texmex says:

Bill,

I agree. Something’s gotta give. We are at 49 contracts again now as well. If a backup goalie is to be acquired, a contract will have to go the other way. Caggs or Slepy?

81. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0: Davey this year:
    CF% 56(+4.5 Rel)
    FF% 58 (+5.9 Rel)
    SCF% 60 (+6.9 Rel)
    GF% 40 (-10% Rel)
    SV% .892
    SH% 5.9
    PDO 951

Good to very good underlying metics.

82. Scungilli Slushy says:

texmex: Larsson

I don’t like the fact that the Oilers lead the league in the stat that says you don’t have the puck – hitting. Worse that Larsson is at the top.

He is too good a player to be banging that much, and my fear about that is he would get hurt. Banging is for players not that good, some contribution. He’s too valuable on the ice and it will accumulate on him through his career.

As LT said Benning as well needs to avoid taking so much punishment especially being on the smaller side.

Long careers are about health, and while some injury is unavoidable for most, staying healthy is a skill. Play well without getting hit too much and also not hitting too much. Balance.

flyfish1168: Does Davidson play some right side?

84. Ribs says:

Davidson back in the fold is great news. Dude looked crushed when they shipped him out. He’s always seemed like a guy who needs to be given a legitimate shot and then you see him flourish. I’m not sure he received that in Montreal.

I agree with WG’s thoughts on LoBro. He seems to be in the right places for the most part, but it looks like he’s not even looking at the puck half of the time.

What’s Bryzgalov doing these days, lol.

85. Cassandra says:

I cannot believe Chiarelli picked up Davidson. I wanted Chiarelli to do something, and then he did it.

I am confused.

I may have to change my moniker.

86. Ribs says:

Bill:
    Wonder what Pete has up his sleeve?

*Awaits news of long term injury to Larsson*

87. texmex says:

Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account
    @TSNRyanRishaug
    2m2 minutes ago
    Oilers sitting at 49 contracts, I’d imagine the search is on for help in net. Needs to be body out body in type trade or they get jammed up at 50 contracts and lose flexibility at deadline. Lots of Left shot D to spare.

__________________________________________________

Interesting Take from Rishaug

88. slopitch says:

Guess that Desjarnes trade wasn’t so bad after all 😉 (and I know I butchered his name)

Surely a LHD is being moved. Who knows…

Does philly have a decent backup tender? I’m so intrigued by te idea of Wayne Simmonds.

I’ll predict Chad Johnson but it’s just a guess.

89. slopitch says:

When I say Simmonds, I guess I’m implying Klefbom + lottery protected 1st for Simmonds + goaler. Could also try Marner.

90. The Primordial JDi Goo says:

Two waiver claims with nothing going out, means we’re getting close to requiring some Lombardi/Lamoriello style house cleaning.

Wait. Lomardi – Lamoriello – Chiarelli!

If your name ends with a vowel, contract cleaning is second nature to you. Make them an offer they can’t refuse!

91. texmex says:

slopitch,

Neuvirth. I’d take him all day long

92. Thinker says:

Does JP’s second goal actually count towards him turning a corner?

93. leadfarmer says:

Lol at this team. IF this team was a guy, all his exes would have restraining orders against him

Jethro Tull: But surely a good technical goalie (which I take to mean is more postional, rather than relying on his reactions) would be better at saving the kinds of goals he’s been letting in?

“Blockers” rather than “Reactors” should be better from in close and from far, and weaker from midrange. The one-shot scorers are deadly from mid-range which is what makes them one-shot scorers. Those are reaction saves against one-shot scorers from mid-range.

The goaltender is big from in close, and the target is small from far away…so mid-range is where one-shot scorers earn their millions.

95. Professor Q says:

The Primordial JDi Goo:

Wait. Lomardi – Lamoriello – Chiarelli!

I wonder if a McBride-Brown Taxi Squad would work?

96. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: I think he has, but mostly left side. I remember having conversations with Dellow about him, strong strong possession and rel numbers. I’m very pleased with the addition.

We could probably visit your blog entries here and see that he was playing RD for Edmonton when he was here. At least to my memory that was another positive from him.

Thinker:
    Does JP’s second goal actually count towards him turning a corner?

Yep…learning to be in the right place and the right time is part of turning the corner. Big net front presence with hands and finishing touch for McDavid. It means Puljujarvi is not just a perimeter player or a shooter. And him being there creates space for McDavid elsewhere to dangle and create.

98. Thinker says:

I still think the move is sliding sekera over

Nurse Larsson
    Klef Sekera
    Davidson benning
    Russel (how It should be deployed if contracts don’t enter into it).

99. StixMalone says:

texmex:
    slopitch,

Neuvirth. I’d take him all day long

x2

100. StixMalone says:

Cassandra:
    I cannot believe Chiarelli picked up Davidson.I wanted Chiarelli to do something, and then he did it.

I am confused.

I may have to change my moniker.

I’m scared now of what’s gonna happen. We are losing a player or more. I’m scared very scared of what Chia is planning #BecauseOilers

101. Glass says:

Would you trade Klefbomb for Ristolainen? I’m having trouble thinking of other comparable RHD.

I feel like…
    Nurse/Larsson
    Sekera/Ristolainen
    Russell/Benning

Is a championship level D-core. Ristolainen can run our PP, has offensive upside, and experience being the top pairing-go to guy. People might whine about losing Klef, but picking up a great player who can run the PP would help us more imo.

102. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Glass,

I’d prefer Trouba.

103. Thinker says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yeah.

I still think Peter trades Oscar when Seksey is up to speed

I hope he doesn’t, but I think he does. “We needed hep on the wing, and this isthe price you have to pay”.

104. gogliano says:

Love the Davidson pickup. Anyone think he is not better than Gryba?

105. OmJo says:

Woodguy v2.0: I think LB has been taught technical goalering very well and he’s been an excellent student. He’s made it to the NHL.

I don’t think LB is a “natural goalie” though.

So the answer is to turn him into a winger, isn’t it?

I just think he needs more games. I realize I sound like a broken record right now.

After some pretty brutal games Talbot was given the benefit of the doubt and consecutive starts. I’d do the same with LB.

106. JimmyV1965 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Brossoit’s numbers are weird.

Over the last two seasons his GSAA/100 (all situations) is -1.27

So immediately you say “not a NHL goalie so far” and you move on.

BUT WAIT!!

THERE’S MORE!!!

These are determined by shot location and type.

Most of the best goalies rank high on HDSV%

So where does Brossoit rank among those 63 goalies in HDSV?

1st.

No shit.

LB has a HDSV% of .877.The median is .793.Talbot is 23rd with a .796

So, what’s up with the GSAA?

LB is right in the middle with his LDSV% of .977 (which is also the median)

That leaves us with MDSV%

LB is 63rd.

DFL.

MDSV% is .832.The median is .918

So what do you do with him?

Can you teach him to be better on MDSV?

I don’t think LB is a “natural goalie” though.

He gets beat high from the top of the circle.

He gets beat low blocker from the high circle.

He’s probably the best goalie not in the NHL right now.

Great post Woodguy. Bross made some amazing saves against the Leafs, and then he allows the softies. Head scratching for sure. The Leafs gave up a 6th for Pickard so I’m not sure how much the asking price is. I’m damn sure they don’t do that deal until after we play them Dec 10. Wouldn’t make sense for them. We absolutely have to beat the Flyers this week. Giving out feeebies to bad teams has killed us this year.

107. flyfish1168 says:

Glass:

I feel like…
    Nurse/Larsson
    Sekera/Ristolainen
    Russell/Benning

1.3 Mil CAP difference probably is a concern

108. Glass says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Sure, if we can get him at under 5.5, but he strikes me as someone who will really try and get every penny out Chia’s pocket.

109. OriginalPouzar says:

Solid move – doesn’t hurt.

Likely precludes picking up another goaltender unless we can move out a contract.

So, if we are healthy when Sekera and Larsson are off IR – both Auvitu and Gryba are gone.

Healthy D:

Klef/Larsson
    Nurse/Russell
    Sekera/Benning

Davidson

Very nice.

110. Thinker says:

Glass:

I feel like…
    Nurse/Larsson
    Sekera/Ristolainen
    Russell/Benning

111. Bill says:

Ribs,

I’ll sacrifice a chicken or bucket of KFC ala Major League to prevent that now.

Philadelphia has a nice stockpile of young goalers… oh boy this could be an interesting few days upcoming.

112. Pouzar says:

Glass: Ristolainen

Poor bastard getting caved in Buffalo.

yan Rishaug‏Verified account
    @TSNRyanRishaug
    9m9 minutes ago
    Wonder if Slepyshev as a trade piece gets something done. With Puljujarvi coming along recently and Yamamoto in the system, he is a movable piece. Still young, plenty of upside.

114. fishman says:

Glass:

Of course seeing what is happening in Buff maybe his value and has taken a hit and they are willing to make a move. In any case really like this player but of course you are giving up offence as well???

I feel like…
    Nurse/Larsson
    Sekera/Ristolainen
    Russell/Benning

Wow do that trade in a moment but pretty sure Buf wouldn’t. Risto is a horse, plays big minutes and tough as nails. Probably have to add picks, prospects at a minimum.

115. blainer says:

I think Klef may finally be turning a corner so It is a bad time to sell low on this player.

If trading this player we need a top backup goalie with term and a really good PK center who can win draws in return or an equally talented RD.

Remember how many people were trading nurse last year and he is turning into the beast Pouzar has always said he would become.

I think the Oil dress Davey right away and trade Klef depending on how he does. Nurse seems to be moving into Klef’s role from last year.

I would love for Nurse to be getting lots of PP time time. He likes shooting the puck.

116. Caller Zen says:

gogliano:
    Love the Davidson pickup.Anyone think he is not better than Gryba?

Definitely better than Gryba – someone said on Thursday if that Leafs game is the last time we see Gryba as an Oiler, and this could be the answer. If Chia can unload #62 to another team (looking for some blue line grit) – this should be a done deal.

117. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Yamamoto in the system

Have no idea what that means.

118. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: 2-4 was not a decent 2nd pair last year.

They got buried and PDO’d the shit out of the season:

Last year 2-4:
    CF%45
    FF% 48
    SCF% 48
    GF% 62
    SV% .954
    SH% 8.06
    PDO 1035

That’s not good, that’s running hot.

25-4 this year:
    CF% 56
    FF% 61
    SCF% 67
    GF% 67
    SV% .914
    SH% 9.8
    PDO 1013

That’s very good, sustainable and only running a bit hot SH% wise.

Fair enough – difference now would be 3rd pairing ES minutes – one would think they would excel with third pairing minutes and responsibilities.

Pouzar: Have no idea what that means.

He’s in the system, you can project him as an internal solution and time his arrival. The position is under control. The problem this fall came when everyone was auditioning and there were no established RW’s beyond Leon and Kassian.

120. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yeah.

I still think Peter trades Oscar when Seksey is up to speed

I sure as heck hope not – given ages and contracts, that would be silly unless he gets full value plus for Klef.

121. JimmyV1965 says:

I thought Cammy was effective last night.

Walker and Slep may need to wait.

I’m not sure what to think about the Drake. He’s fast. He’s aggressive. He’s horrible on the PK. And the play seems to die on his stick a whole bunch. He seems to get himself in position a lot, but never cashes. He totally flubbed a gaping wide open net last night. Maybe move up JJ to the Drai line and put new guy on fourth line.

122. fishman says:

Glass,

Sorry Glass I messed up my answer to your comment by putting an edit in the wrong place. Retired guy not real skilled with technology!

123. Oil2Oilers says:

OriginalPouzar:
    The one thing holding Benson back is skating – hopefully he is able to improve.

Our wise and genial host here wisely cautions that the only goal this year for Benson is good health and playing the rest of the season.

I am with you though, finding it very hard not to excited about this prospect. If he survives the season can we lock him in a South side rink with Pelletier all summer? The big hole in the prospect pool (and the NHL team) is talent on the Left wing. RHD being a league wide issue.

Godspeed and Good Health young Mr. Benson there is a career waiting for you.

124. Scungilli Slushy says:

Glass: People might whine about losing Klef

It’s fine to trade players as long as you aren’t moving backwards. The leftorium is deep, the rightorium lean with NHL ready players. The big problem is that everybody needs RHD. Risto, if they want to move him, and you never know what the reaction is to from the management of a tire fire team, would be Klef +. Risto is really the only good RD they have though.

Trouba would be strait up IF the Jets wanted to move him, I am a little apprehensive about his salary wants. He’s on pace for under 30 pts on a hot team on PP2, I believe playing first pair. If he wants over 5M I think it’s too much. He’s 24 this season same as Klef, but hasn’t ever had as high points, both have injury histories. The Jets are one of the few teams deep at RD.

125. fishman says:

OriginalPouzar,

Yes well Chia is well known for getting full value when trading away skill!!!!!!

126. The Primordial JDi Goo says:

Pouzar: Have no idea what that means.

Me too. Yamo might be years away or may never play in the NHL, and Slepy is just now looking like he might be something, even through all the injuries.

I don’t think now is the time to deal a RWer.

127. OmJo says:

Cassandra:

I am confused.

I may have to change my moniker.

#GenerallySurprised

128. Jethro Tull says:

Bill:
    Nurse-Russell
    Klef-Larsson
    Sekera-Benning
    Davidson

As long as the 1st and 2nd round picks are off limits, give ‘er hell Chia

Where did Napoleon keep his armies?

In his sleevies…..

129. LMHF#1 says:

yan Rishaug‏Verified account
    @TSNRyanRishaug9m9 minutes ago
    Wonder if Slepyshev as a trade piece gets something done.With Puljujarvi coming along recently and Yamamoto in the system, he is a movable piece.Still young, plenty of upside.

Ughhhh…nonononono.

You trade a number of guys before you trade him, and you’d think someone would have learned the lesson of trading based on assumptions about young players.

130. LadiesloveSmid says:

Trading Klefbom would be so Chiarelli.

Nurse finally steps up to a top-4 quality D and he has to ship out Klef. Like MacT trading Gilbert when Petry emerged.

Why not have 4-5 top 4 D? New and improved Nurse joining Klef, Larsson, Sekera, Benning, + Auvitu/Davidson excites me

131. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: there were no established RW’s beyond Leon and Kassian.

Yammo in the system means nothing for 2 years imo.

132. OriginalPouzar says:

texmex: Davey this year:
    CF% 56 (+4.5 Rel)
    FF% 58 (+5.9 Rel)
    SCF% 60 (+6.9 Rel)
    GF% 40 (-10% Rel)
    SV% .892
    SH% 5.9
    PDO 951

For a back-up tender, the contract should be a Rattie, Malone, Chase, Callaghan, etc.

For a goalie currently playing in the minor leagues, the cost should be almost nominal.

LMHF#1: Ughhhh…nonononono.

They’re moving off of Slepyshev like a bullet leaves a gun. He gone (imo).

134. Pescador says:

Ribs</

What’s Bryzgalov doing these days, lol.

Interrogating World Cup referees on behalf of Putin.
    ” Yoo ken heff money, or yoo ken heff torture. Russia es free country now!”

Pouzar: And we still have none. Unless Slepy is part of a 3 for 1 to get an established RWer then getting rid of him to get rid of him doesn’t make sense. He does some good things.
    Yammo in the system means nothing for 2 years imo.

136. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: They’re moving off of Slepyshev like a bullet leaves a gun. He gone (imo).

And that’s a shame. His skill jumps off the screen.

137. OriginalPouzar says:

slopitch:
    Guess that Desjarnes trade wasn’t so bad after all (and I know I butchered his name)

Surely a LHD is being moved. Who knows…

I’ll predict Chad Johnson but it’s just a guess.

Acquiring Brandon Davidson off waivers should not in any way lead to disposing of a more material d-man (Klef, Nurse, Sekera).

138. Ribs says:

Slepyshev seems like a guy you should be trading for, not trading away. I dunno *shrug*.

139. Scungilli Slushy says:

Thinker: Klef is a better goal scorer. Would love ristolaknen, but I don’t sale on the better, cheaper man. If anything, I would do Nurse for ristolainen, because at least you are getting a substantial offense upgrade.

I think Nurse is far better than Klef overall and is outscoring him this year. Nurse has so much upside he’s a keeper for me. An anchor.

140. Pouzar says:

So for the Cap experts, what do the Oilers look like next year with an $80 mil cap?

141. Dustylegnd says:

JAG-041:

Makes you realize how talented Debrusk is, he has excellent analysis and is more than likable, thank goodness the Bruins fathers trip is over

142. Ribs says:

Pescador: Interrogating World Cup referees on behalf of Putin.
    ” Yoo ken heff money, or yoo ken heff torture. Russia es free country now!”

I picture him sitting next to Puljujaarvi in the dressing room and it’s a hit comedy blockbuster.

143. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Jethro Tull: This is encouraging. If i remember correctly, Davy was a good wowy player, as in he helped others.

Davey’s RelTeam this year:

CF% 5.39
    FF% 6.18
    GF% -11.02
    xGF% 7.84

Helps everyone, but the goals are going in.

RelTeam is his effect on line mates. Its measures them with and away from Davey (or player in question)

Its different than regular “Relative” stats in that those just measure the team results with the player on/off.

Both are useful metrics, but different.

In this case with you mentioning “helping others” I thought best to use RelT

Some of Davey’s good RelT may be due to a 2nd pair player sliding down to easier minutes on 3rd pair, but I don’t think there is too much of that in there.

144. npanciroli says:

Really fascinating what Chia is doing with the waiver wire here. I’d rather lose Cagguila than Slepyshev to get a goalie as I think Slepyshev is a player.

Gryba/Auvitu/Russell + Cagguila for a a goalie would be interesting.

Also, Lucic 5v5 numbers are incredible.

145. jtblack says:

JimmyV1965,

So what you are saying is Pistol pete has yet to find a reliable back up in his 2+ yrs at the helm.

Agree on LB.

146. Pouzar says:

Dustylegnd: People dislike Remenda because he tends to state the obvious, Cassie added exactly nothing to that telecast, she stated the obvious over and over and over

What’s funny is Remenda lasted one year at CBC I believe.

147. OriginalPouzar says:

I really have to ask: in what world does claiming Brandon Davidson off waivers means the Oilers are deep enough to trade away Oscar Klefbom due to the “leftorium”?

I mean, if we are getting full value for a great young d-man on a phenomenal contract, sure, but the chances of that are slim and I can’t fathom trading that player because of the log-jam.

This all comes back to the damn Russell contract and that damn NMC and that damn term.

I stay the course on the back-end – the core is good and signed for term at reasonableness.

148. go_oil says:

Wow, that was quite the 3rd period last night. This is a fragile group, but at least they bent and did not break. What a huge month ahead. I see progress, but they need to learn how to play a whole 60 minutes every single damn game.

I can see them go back with LB in Philly as a “show me” game. McLellan talked about the goalie and the rest of the group having each other’s backs, so I think he’ll be given another opportunity—good or bad. Interesting analysis on LB, Woodguy. I twas trying to find video on LB to look at his style of goaltending more. The past couple of games has been a bit of a hodgepodge where you see him make the saves on HDSC, and then he gives up the soft ones (poor positioning?). I think he has the tools—I think it’s more mental. I think that’s why it’s important he go back in the next game. He made a few more saves to finish the game, and they got the win. I hope they get LB back to .500.

As for the D, picking up Davy was a great move. I think he provides more stability and less chaos on the back end then Auvitu or Gryba, who I can see being waived or traded when Larsson comes back (Auvitu more than Gryba). When the D and Talbot get healthy, and if the group can keep winning until then, I like the chances of a playoff push.

As for the F, it’s great to see some chemistry and production forming.

I like the fourth line and the pairings of:

McDavid-Puljujarvi
    Maroon-Nugent-Hopkins
    Draisaitl-Strome

Just a matter of filling things out a bit. I’m glad Chiarelli is just tinkering with the group, creating competition from within, with Cammalleri, Walker, and Davidson.

I would like to see:

Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi
    Cagguila/Cammalleri-Draisaitl-Strome
    Maroon-Nugent-Hopkins-Slepyshev
    Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

They need to keep the powder dry on big trades. I think Draisaitl and Slepyshev aren’t 100% after coming off injuries. Let this group get healthy and see what they can do. Some growing pains with the younger guys, but I think this will benefit them and push them to produce in the long run.

149. Pouzar says:

npanciroli: I think Slepyshev is a player.

Getting a 1st rd talent in the 3rd rd was one of the few things MacT did but it was a nice move.
    But f^ck it.

150. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Puljujarvi scores 15 this season, that’s some traction there. Yamamoto will push for a job in the fall, we’ll see if he wins one. Better to have these kids arrive in staggered formation.

By Yamamoto, do you mean Benson?

151. Ray says:

I think they the coming trade might be Maroon for picks.

152. flyfish1168 says:

When the season is over and Sekera return goes well. I would move entice Sekera to drop NMC and move him 1st. Nurse is going to need to be paid. Nurse, Klef and Russell are good left side, Davy used as the 7th. JMHO

153. JimmyV1965 says:

And I was just about to say Nurse is suddenly looking a lot better than Risto.

154. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar,

IMO the Oilers will try to force Benson in (assuming Maroon is moved). Either way, Yammy and Benson will both get long looks nxt yr.

#GOOILERS

155. who says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Solid move – doesn’t hurt.

Healthy D:

Klef/Larsson
    Nurse/Russell
    Sekera/Benning

Davidson

Very nice.

Wonder if Chia is regretting his claim on Nathan Walker right now?

156. OriginalPouzar says:

Ray:

Its too early for that type of move which signals we are giving up on the season and are sellers.

Chiarelli can’t make moves that actively makes the current team worse – not until February.

157. StixMalone says:

who: Wonder if Chia is regretting his claim on Nathan Walker right now?

Nope we need an ambassador when the NHL goes to Australia……

158. OriginalPouzar says:

who: Wonder if Chia is regretting his claim on Nathan Walker right now?

I doubt it – from accounts, there very well could be a player there.

I’m just not sure how to get him and/or Slep in to the current lineup (assuming the coach will never take Drake out as a healthy scratch).

Now that we are healthy, that is some nice depth (guys like Pakarinan and Malone in the AHL where they need to be).

159. McSorley33 says:

The Gryba / Auvitu fans will be crushed.

Pacific division teams are disappointed.

160. Ray says:

OriginalPouzar,

Fair point. I think he might feel the need to get a goalie. And if no one will take a contract off his hands hes going to get backed into a corner and sell off Maroon early

Dont think i could say its the right move

Speculation mode ON:

Caggiula never gets healthy scratched, because Chiarelli had to guarantee him games to get him to sign here instead of elsewhere.

Last year, it meant he had to play essentially every game after he returned from injury. And that may still be the case this year, catching up on games played, or they are trying to get the guarantee out of the way early in the season.

162. JimmyV1965 says:

jtblack:
    OriginalPouzar,

IMO the Oilers will try to force Benson in (assuming Maroon is moved).Either way, Yammy and Benson will both get long looks nxt yr.

#GOOILERS

That would be just awful. Stick them in the minors and forget about them.

163. Gerta Rauss says:

OriginalPouzar: The LHD move(s) are easy – first Stanton to the minors and, next, Auvitu to the minors – after that, if we are 100% healthy when Sekera returns, Gryba to the minors.

Agree 100% here

There is a chance that OV2 and/or Gryba may get claimed themselves (admittedly a small chance)

No need to do anything rash here, being at 49 contracts isn’t a showstopper

164. jtblack says:

JimmyV1965,

I agree 100% Benson needs 1 or 2 AHL seasons as he just hasnt played enough hockey.

IF Yammy becomes a good nhl player, I think he follows the Tyler Johnson path, which would suggest he will need 2 yrs + in AHL.

Game is changing and getting younger, so maybe 1 season each would be enough

165. Ray says:

godot10:
    Speculation mode ON:

Last year, it meant he had to play essentially every game after he returned from injury.And that may still be the case this year, catching up on games played, or they are trying to get the guarantee out of the way early in the season.

Didnt drake and the young simpson play for hakstol who now in philly? Maybe a soft landing spot for drake. And a place simpson will get a better opportuniy.

Might be how they get neuvirth if hes a target

166. who says:

OriginalPouzar: I doubt it – from accounts, there very well could be a player there.

Thats my issue.

167. LadiesloveSmid says:

who: Wonder if Chia is regretting his claim on Nathan Walker right now?

I guess give him a go in Pak’s place to see if he can help the PK.

Otherwise can waive him, Bakersfield needs some damn scoring. Anton Lander’s shoe filler has 2P in 19GP

168. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:
    Speculation mode ON:

I’ve heard that verbal/speculation before.

Personally, I don’t believe it at all – I don’t think those soft guarantees are really given out to third tier UFAs like Drake was.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Drake – I swear there should be a player there with his speed and tenacity and skill (yes, I’ve seen him make skilled plays). Perhaps he just needs some time to develop and/or play in a role that suits him – relied on for energy, not for box-cars.

169. JimmyV1965 says:

who: Thats my issue.Unless he’s trading Caggulia he just acquired his clone. A small, gritty, speedy winger with a poorer scoring resume. And he used up a contract spot to do it.

From what I understand walker is good on the PK.

170. McSorley33 says:

The value for the Drake would be similar to the value of my tube tv in my cottage…..

171. OriginalPouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid: I guess give him a go in Pak’s place to see if he can help the PK.

That is fine as well – if he isn’t needed as an Oilers (or disappoints), he either helps the Condors or we dispose of the contract.

172. Dustylegnd says:

Pouzar,

You are correct, I remember when he showed up on HNIC and I had never heard of him, thinking WTF is this guy doing on a national telecast, he lasted one year and disappeared, then Remenda comes back from the dead and replaces Debrusk on Sportnets regional telecast and I am thinking, hey this is a downgrade

Sportnet then proceeds to secure the national broadcast rights for all things NHL and Debrusk rises from the ashes and gets a National gig, good for Louie…..sometimes you don’t know what you have till it’s taken away

The problem with Cassie is that her perspective comes from being one of the best players on a team that was filled with only the very best players, always the Best Goalies, always the best centers, always the best D partners etc….she never had to play in front of a struggling Hot Mess like LB or with an Auvitu, or a Caggiula……guys like Louie they have seen a lot with a good number of different teams….this allows true colour to be provided

173. who says:

Personally I would stand pat with the goalies for a week or two and let things play out.
    But these two waiver claims make me think Chia has something in mind.
    Maybe he trades a young winger for immediate help or maybe he trades a UFA for futures. Who knows.

174. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965: From what I understand walker is good on the PK.

I think there are conflicting reports on this.

I’ve read that he’s good on the PK, I’ve also read he hasn’t been used on the PK.

I think he’s played some PK in the AHL but not at the NHL level.

Just checked, he’s averaged 20 second of PK TOI/G this year.

175. who says:

OriginalPouzar: If the Oilers waive him, he probably gets claimed as, from accounts, there were multiple claims for him.

Good point

176. Dustylegnd says:

OriginalPouzar,

Hey Woodguy called this scenario like a month ago, I believe the quote was “Chia trades Kleffbomb, wait for it, fo a scoring winger ….I was furious, because it is so f3king believable that it could happen

177. StixMalone says:

Dustylegnd:
    Pouzar,

Once an Oiler …..

178. ashley says:

I wonder if Puljujarvi is being showcased. I know it sounds crazy after the last couple of games, but away from McDavid, he hasn’t had a lot of success.

I think that because he came off of a healthy scratch to the first line and PP1 unit.

179. ashley says:

Puljujarvi might be the trade chip rather than Slepy.

180. ashley says:

I think Chia is thinking of getting a top 4D for Puljujarvi or Slepy.

However, I would let things settle after the Davidson claim. He was really good here. I don’t know what happened in MTL.

181. LadiesloveSmid says:

Davidson was my favourite story in the 15/16 season. Think a couple of injuries maybe had him playing some substantial minutes toward the end of the season, had maybe a 7 game stretch of 20-21+ minutes where he was putting some points together. Then Byfuglien fell on his knee!!! Heart wrenching. Hope he can stick playing on the right side

182. Caller Zen says:

ashley:
    I wonder if Puljujarvi is being showcased.I know it sounds crazy after the last couple of games, but away from McDavid, he hasn’t had a lot of success.

Interesting take. It looked like Jokinen was being showcased for 3 or 4 games when it was obvious that Khaira deserved to play. If the trade chip is Puljujarvi, a more established RW’er is likely the return. Just who that might be is a pretty big guess!

183. sliderule says:

I qualify the following comments that I never played goal and never had any desire to do same.Too much pressure.

Newtons laws say that a puck traveling at an average wrist shot travels at roughly. 90 to 100 ft per second .This means that a puck shot from 30 ft reaches the net in under a third of a second or less..
    It’s been shown that the fastest athletic reaction times are at one third of a second..This means on most shots from the outer edges of the circles the goalies cannot move.They can guess and position themselves accordingly but they have no chance to move after puck leaves stick.

I saw LB checking his positioning after one got by him from the corner and he was perplexed as to how it got by him.I beleive it went in between his body and post.To me this indicates LB has problems with positioning both on guarding the post and too far in crease on shots from between the dots.

It’s best to give Ellis a chance and work on getting a better backup in the mean time.

ashley:

185. OmJo says:

ashley:
    Puljujarvi might be the trade chip rather than Slepy.

That would be a poor bet on behalf of General Disappointment.

186. Thinker says:

Remember when we used to get the odd game on TSN? Sportsnet ruins everything. I remember back in the day, the score was my favourite highlight channel. They had Tim and sid, Cabbie Unlimited, Gerry Dee Sports Reporter, and my favourite hockey show called That’s Hockey Tonight with Steve Kouleas and Steve Ludzik. These were all kind of small production value shows, but they did well for what they were. Then the dinosaurs at sportsnet came in and bought the channel in 2012. TSN picked up all the good personalities, and sportsnet just stayed in their boring box. They kept Tim and Sid, but they have a huge Toronto bias now, and aren’t very origibal anymore. Somebody should start a gofundme for when the next TV deal comes up.

187. The Primordial JDi Goo says:

OmJo: That would be a poor bet on behalf of General Disappointment.

If he trades Puljs, he’ll get promoted to General Handgrenade.

188. leadfarmer says:

Lowetide: That is something we have discussed and would certainly be possible. One hopes David Pastrnak is coming back in a case of that kind.

We hoped for Pastrnak but end up with Simmonds

189. geowal says:

That was a seriously fun game to be at last night, 3rd period insanity and all. Quality representation by Oil fans. One regular Flames fan told me he forgot to plan an extra five minutes for everything (beer, food, washroom lines) on account of how thoroughly the Oil fans come to party, even more so than the Laafs group. Good times.

I was going to post some astute observations of some player or another, but it’s all a little fuzzy now…I do recall thinking the 3rd man back (McDavid included) needed to be more aggressive on the backcheck when the flames come down in a 3 on 2. Also, man that puck was in the Oilers deep slot a lot waiting to be put in, the Flames just weren’t getting there.

And lastly, as I mentioned late last night, it was sure nice to see the Brodie own goal after the hometown crowd yelled “shoot” every time Russell had the puck in his own end. “Once a Flame, always..”..nah, doesn’t have the ring to it.

190. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar: I think there are conflicting reports on this.

I think he’s played some PK in the AHL but not at the NHL level.

Just checked, he’s averaged 20 second of PK TOI/G this year.

Thanks OP. 👍

191. JimmyV1965 says:

LadiesloveSmid:

I remember thinking he was a lock for the top 4 for the next five years. He’s got it in him. Just have to bring it out I guess. Weird how this game plays out sometimes.

192. Chris says:

I wonder if picking up Hutchison from the Jets wouldn’t be an affordable solution to our current goaltending problem. Although some reports have suggested Ellis out performed Broissoit in training camp and in the AHL so I expect we’ll get a look at him before Chia sends assets out of town.

193. Thinker says:

Actually read the article today. The 5×5 numbers from the bottom six are sort of misleading in that most of that offense came playing higher in the lineup (see cagguila)

194. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

I can’t see Jesse being on the trade block at this point.

Chia basically ran to the podium to draft him.

He’s following in the Nurse fold of development, albeit at an accelerated rate.

His healthy scratch was on the heels of two straight games where he had some turnover issues within 10 ft of the blueline and was extremely hesitant in his own zone, last two games? Much better in both areas. Scored two last night, grabbed a PP2 spot in the 2nd. I’m thinking back to a TMac quote from his first season where he said that it took CmD a few weeks before “he allowed himself to take over games.”

Now I’m not saying JP is comparable to CmD at this point but the rest of the quote rings true. JP has been much more assertive the last two games, music!

Overall I think the most obvious area is the most likely. Davidson costs them nothing and he’s more reliable than both of Auvitu/Gryba.

Plus you can always swing a contract or two of AHL only folks near Xmas, the All-Star Break and of course at the deadline.

A competent GM shores things up when there is injury trouble and I think coach/GM/team aren’t nearly as bearish on their playoff chances as we are. There is competition at almost all the supporting wing spots right now. Caggs, Sleppy, Camalleri, JP, JK, Strome, Maroon etc are all playing for their Oiler careers right now. Fun times.

To the Cap Minds out there, didn’t Bettman say a few weeks back that revenues look incredible so far this season, and could put the cap in the $80-$84 million range? IF that is true we no longer have cap hell problems, we’d be tight but its manageable.

195. OriginalPouzar says:

Not much is off the table but I can’t imagine that Puljijarvi is being traded for a scoring winger.

I mean, he is a scoring winger, just a developing one. So, in order for that trade to make sense for the other team, the piece coming back can’t really be more than an 2nd tier scoring winger and this organization would be silly to do that right now – not to mention that cap hit this player is likely to come with vis-a-vis Puljijarvi being on his ELC for one more season (bonus issue notwithstanding) and then team control for a number of years.

This is a 19 year old, recent 4th overall draft pick who is big, fast, skilled, hockey IQ man that is starting to find his game a bit in the NHL.

Unless his value in a trade is exactly what it was on draft day, the organization should not trade this player.

196. Washingtron says:

Pleased to have some Finnish Finish! (see what I did there? y’know? you get it right? because…)

The bummer about making a move now is that our long term needs (RHD, scoring winger) have been superseded by short term needs (goaltender) and we only have limited trade chips to deal. I think that explains the waiver pick ups and means we need to look at the equivalent players to the pickups who are already on the roster as the ones being dealt. So who does that mean? Slep and Gryba/Auvitu/Benning? I don’t think Cam or Cags have any value to anyone (though how Gryba/Auvitu might is beyond me.) Then you gotta put the Chia Trade tax (a minimum 25% skill loss in any trade) and then I worry about the pieces moving out being people like Nurse, Klef, Maroon, Poolparty.

I definitely do take these waiver pick ups to be a sign of the coming PeterPuckalypse.

197. Munny says:

Woodguy v2.0: Brossoit’s numbers are weird.

That’s really weird because the highest danger of high danger scoring chances are rebounds and deflections, both of which require reaction skills for success. Which apparently he is having.

198. rickithebear says:

Davidson – Benning 1.08 Evga 2nd, 3rd comp
    Sekera – Russel 1.38 Evga 2nd comp
    Klefbom,s best HD results with fayne.
    Traditional 3.00 Evga dman
    Nurse hd abondonment issues.
    Larsson our best D.

199. Gerta Rauss says:

Pouzar:

For me it starts with Nuge on the team and any subsequent roster includes his $6M

I’d probably move Maroon at the deadline even if we’re in the hunt but of course it depends on the return. If the team is having success I’d be fine to keep him and let him walk in June-lots of talk about the Oilers speed and I think this is the spot they look to upgrade

I think RW will be filled internally(or so we/they hope)

That Russell contract really hinders a big move bringing in a 2RD (without moving out a contract)..but I guess it depends on the next contract for Nurse. If the cap allows it maybe they run a big dollar D next year, knowing the NMC clauses for Sek and Russell allow them some relief July2020

Either way, there is no reason to do anything drastic until June and you know what the cap number is

Newer Comments »