A Conversation

After several weeks of struggle, Peter Chiarelli’s auditioning youngsters have shown some signs of growth. Jesse Puljujarvi is going to the net, Connor McDavid is finding uses for the young giant, Jujhar Khaira is pushing up the batting order and Darnell Nurse is adding zero’s to that next contract by the day with his fine play. One audition that seems to be coming to an end, or at least a detour? Laurent Brossoit’s role as backup.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great new offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

A CONVERSATION

1. Do they go get a goalie? I think they have to, yes.
  2. When? Today would be good.
  3. Who? AHL.com has  goalies save percentage, look for someone over .920. One of them is my guess, unless a team has a veteran backup they’d like to offload. I’ll say Anders Lindback. Michael Hutchinson.
  4. What about Laurent Brossoit? I think the Oilers will start Nick Ellis on Wednesday, bring Brossoit back in relief if necessary. That was a tough game.
  5. Do you like the Brandon Davidson pickup? Yes, very much. I think Davidson will be one of the top 6D even when Sekera returns.
  6. What do the ideal pairings look like? I’ll say Klefbom-Larsson, Nurse-Sekera, Davidson-Benning and Russell. You could run Russell anywhere and rotate 5-6-7 as required. That’s a solid defensive group. I know that sounds provocative, having Russell 7D, but it might be Sekera as 7D because he may not be 100 percent upon return.
  7. Do you like the new forward Nathan Walker? We’ll have to see him. The AHL numbers imply a checking forward with wheels, Jason Rogers with Japers Rink pointed out to me on SSE he was driving possession on Washington’s fourth line. I think he’s an upgrade on Pakarinen if he can help in possession but would suggest he trails the other young wingers on the Oilers offensively.
  8. What is this season about? Auditions. I’ve been saying this since August, when will you believe me?
  9. They are all failing. No sir. Some of these young men are emerging. Darnell Nurse is flourishing in a prominent role. That’s a very important thing for this organization.
  10. Why isn’t it making any difference? Andrej Sekera is injured and hasn’t played one minute, Oscar Klefbom isn’t 100 percent and is playing. Lots of reasons to explain why one player has emerged while the team is struggling overall.
  11. Who else? Jesse Puljujarvi is coming on now, you can see it. He is on pace for 26 goals this season, that would represent a terrific spike year over year, and announce the big man’s arrival.
  12. Who else else? Jujhar Khaira, what a wonderful story. This is a player who was chosen in the third round of the Nail Yakupov draft, behind the fabulous Russian and also behind Mitchell Moroz. He’s on a hot streak, I don’t expect him to finish 15-20-35 but even if he can score 10 goals this season that’s a big step forward.
  13. Who is losing the grip? Anton Slepyshev seems to be the next man out (Iiro Pakarinen was waived and scored a goal for Bakersfield Sunday evening). He has one goal, is losing playing time to Mike Cammalleri and both Puljujarvi and Khaira have moved ahead of him on the depth chart. He’s on the fringe as we speak, I can see him moving out soon.
  14. You liked him. Yes, I think a team acquiring Slepyshev is going to get a lot of tools, including size, speed and a helluva shot.
  15. And one goal! You know, one of the things we forget is that timing is a big deal. Marc Habscheid was 19 in 1982-83 and played 32 games for the Oilers (13 points). Walt Poddubny had a giant season for the Wichita Wind in 1981-82. Tom Roulston had 40 points for the Oilers in 1982-83. Ken Berry scored well in a couple of cups of coffee. Ray Cote was impressive in the playoffs 1983. Raimo Summanen scored five points in five games on the run to the first Stanley Cup. None of them made it, because another player came along and ate their lunch.
  16. So Slepyshev loses a job because of Nathan Walker? No, Slepyshev loses a job because Jesse Puljujarvi and Jujhar Khaira are eating his lunch currently. Maybe Slepy gets another shot, right now he looks dangerously close to getting a ticket to Bakersfield or elsewhere.
  17. So you’re off today. Yes.
  18. That means the Oilers make two trades. Yes.

259 Responses to "A Conversation"

« Older Comments
  1. Jaxon says:

Side: Everyone should get the flu shot.

This. For truth. Get it. Everyone. Please.

Jaxon: That’s a bit extreme, no? For the most part I thought the “eye test” saw Yamamoto as playing quite well. I think many if not most bloggers/journalists/broadcasters saw the same. He did have the 3rd most shots/gp on the team behind McDavid and Klefbom, so he was involved in the play a lot. He was very creative and fairly tenacious on the forecheck. He had great vision and was great at stripping the puck. I think he dinged the post a couple times. With a little better puck luck, if those had been a fraction of an inch closer he may have finished his 9 game audition at a more respectable clip of 2 or 3 goals which is an 18-27 goal pace in addition to his 27 assist pace for a very respectable rookie season.

I understand you’re angry, but I don’t think many saw the quality of his audition the way you did. He had some absolutely horrible puck luck.

3. Professor Q says:

Jaxon: This. For truth. Get it. Everyone. Please.

4. who says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Kadri for Larsson? I am not sure Lou says yes, actually. Kadri plays the toughs, freeing Matthews up. He scores 30 while doing it.

Pretty even trade value wise.

Larsson is a far bigger need for the Oilers than Kadri due to Nuge. But that is a team makeup issue, rather than a value issue.

Yes you’re right. Got a bit flippant there.
    Kadri is a key piece of the Leafs team, as Larsson is to the Oilers. My point is that the Oilers would never even consider that trade, considering their depth at center. The Leafs aren’t quite as deep up the middle, so they may not want to make that trade either . But they could use a Larsson.

5. Jaxon says:

Lowetide: Yamamoto’s underlying numbers were also good, plus the coach used him over other options because the young man earned the minutes. People have their angles on each prospect and slagging Yamamoto has become a strong theme in the last couple of weeks. This too shall pass.

Yup. And thanks for recommending the Bourne writing on The Athletic. That stuff is gold. What a great roster of writers. Lowetide, Pronman, Bourne, Dellow and Willis are now my go to writers. Well done.

EDIT: PS, If you’re going to go through a paywall, it’s nice to have a bunch of your favourite writers in once place.

6. Jaxon says:

Professor Q: Not everyone can, unfortunately. But for those who can, please do. Among many other immunizations and treatments.

Yes, which is probably the biggest reason that those who can get it must get it. To protect those who cannot. I see it as selfish not to.

7. Jaxon says:

I’m not a praying man, but I’m praying for Benson to get through this season injury free and have a whole summer to simply improve his core strength and skills and relax a bit. It would be great if he kept up this pace for even increased it and had a good WJC tourny and either makes the playoffs or gets traded to a contender (or to Regina). He’ll solve a hell of a lot of issues if he can make the club next fall in a top 6 role. He has 20 pts in his last 10 games!

8. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: People have their angles on each prospect and slagging Yamamoto has become a strong theme in the last couple of weeks.

I don’t blame the player. I blame management/coaching.

I guess I’m tired of hoping prospects turn out, simply because the Oilers drafted them.

Jesse Puljujarvi was getting slagged a lot recently too. Having seen him(like Yakupov a few seasons ago) look pretty decent I felt a kind of worry that he wasn’t going to make it right up until the very last game when he scored 2 goals and utterly dominated the attempts of the Flame’s defence to intimidate him.

I am now happy to stick my neck out and predict Jesse Puljujarvi will be a star in the NHL by the end of this 2017-18 season.

I’ll take the contrary view on Yamamoto: based on what I saw, Yamamoto won’t make it in the NHL. But, from now on, in deference to the many posters who like him I’ll stfu.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Jaxon:

I’m not sure about making the club out of camp next year but I’m not going to shut the door on the idea. Some missed development time but that was the year Eberle made it (draft plus 3).

I’m not as concerned about his injuries as most and I’m cautiously optimistic they are behind him. Yes, there have been some injuries but, some of his missed time wasn’t with an injury – I mean a cyst on his spine isn’t an injury but it caused him to miss considerable time.

Go Benson!

hunter1909: I’m not interested in underlying numbers. I just saw a too small kid totally out of his depth, with a 2nd pre-season fave to win the freaking cup hamstrung by the knock on effect of having a child playing 1st line minutes unable to produce.

I don’t blame the player. I blame management/coaching.

I am now happy to stick my neck out and predictJesse Puljujarvi will be a star in the NHL by the end of this 2017-18 season.

11. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar: I’m not sure about making the club out of camp next year but I’m not going to shut the door on the idea.Some missed development time but that was the year Eberle made it (draft plus 3).

I’m not as concerned about his injuries as most and I’m cautiously optimistic they are behind him.Yes, there have been some injuries but, some of his missed time wasn’t with an injury – I mean a cyst on his spine isn’t an injury but it caused him to miss considerable time.

Go Benson!

12. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: No need to stfu, but I think it’s fine for posters to challenge you on some of your KY verbal. I’m not certain why putting one prospect down to defend another does much good but you aren’t abusive and your diatribes are at the very least entertaining (and often more than that).

Ha ha thanks man.

I hope Yamamoto makes it. But since he’s off the team and whether or not he ever makes the big club is somewhat moot, I’ll still stfu about him since I don’t have anything constructive to add to the Yamamoto discussion.

If I were Chiarelli I’d be looking to draft Swedish defencemen in round 1 and 2 for the next draft. Those vikings are really starting to come on as hockey players.

13. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965: Everyone comes from a different perspective on this I guess. I don’t care if benson knocks it out of the park in preseason, send him down. We really really really need to get a handle on player development here.

I can’t say I agree with your perspective. If he plays well enough and earns a spot on the roster then he should get that roster spot. I’m not talking about having a gaping hole and he being the best option (i.e. top 6 RW this year) but him winning a spot.

With that said, management should not go in the summer and/or fall expecting either Yamamoto and/or Benson to be Oilers next year and counting on them to fill certain spots.

14. Munny says:

Jaxon: This. For truth. Get it. Everyone. Please.

Some more truth:

Last month,, in a step tantamount to heresy in the public health world, scientists at the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota released a report saying that influenza vaccinations provide only modest protection for healthy young and middle-age adults, and little if any protection for those 65 and older, who are most likely to succumb to the illness or its complications. Moreover, the report’s authors concluded, federal vaccination recommendations, which have expanded in recent years, are based on inadequate evidence and poorly executed studies.

Michael Osterholm who has led the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy 2012 review on flu vaccines recommends getting the vaccine but criticizes its promotion “We have overpromoted and overhyped this vaccine…it does not protect as promoted. It’s all a sales job: it’s all public relations.”

NYT Nov 10, 2016.

15. Thinker says:

OriginalPouzar: I can’t say I agree with your perspective.If he plays well enough and earns a spot on the roster then he should get that roster spot.I’m not talking about having a gaping hole and he being the best option (i.e. top 6 RW this year) but him winning a spot.

16. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Flames look worse than the Oil right now. Both Alberta teams miss the postseason again? So much for their amazing blueline.

Hamonic trade looking bad right now, thank goodness Snow turned down the Hall offer (if Staple is right and that really happened).

Treliving has now traded what two firsts and seven seconds? He has been mortgaging the future for a while now. He should get as much heat as Chia if they miss the playoffs.

17. Munny says:

You seem fairly optimistic on Davidson, LT.

His numbers don’t strike me as being markedly better than Auvitu;s, and I know Auvitu has the edge in skating, shooting vision, offensive reads.

However Auvitu’s greatest weakness is strength. Davey provides a nice mix of skating and strength. Has a decent shot too.

But I think we lose some speed and offense. Both OV2 and Nurse look like they’re fully on board with a 5-man-unit-in-the-OZone game plan. And I prefer it when the puck is in the opponent end and moving smartly.

Tuff call from here I think, but I like the idea of adding options and experience. Glad they got him, just wish he was a true rightie.

18. deardylan says:

Was reading David Staples in Edmonton Journal review of season so far.

Last year after 27 games, the Oilers had 61 goals against.
    This year they have 91 goals against!

We have almost same goals for and somehow, we are only 3 wins behind last year total. Those 3 missing wins get us close to making the playoffs.

Wonder if there will be an article on the top 4 reasons the Oilers will rise up in 2018 and reach the playoffs? Coaching wins close games, Goaltending, The Best Defence is Offence, Sekera’s Return, PK improves, Other Teams in Pacific Crash, Minor players trending up for scoring in on even strength play?

19. Munny says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

I haven’t exactly been giggling watching the game, but I’ve had a few pleased smiles. The Flames can make up for a lot of errors though with one of their explosions, and the Fly aren’t pretty fly.

20. OriginalPouzar says:

Thinker: What’s more likely? Benson comes in trying to play his way onto the roster, or the Oilers deal Maroon at the deadline, make no attempt to replace, and we have Lucic, Cagguila, Benson, Khaira. “We didn’t think it was fair to Milan to play him on the second line”. “You have to give these young guys ice time eventually, why not before they prove they are ready?”

If the Oilers are not in playoff contention come February then Maroon has to be delt – its a must.

How he rounds out the roster in the spring/summer, well, its too early to know – the cap will play a bit part of it as well as how the rest of the season goes for a guy like Jesse and a guy like Strome.

Can space will be at a premium – Nurse will need to be paid but Chia will need to get Strome, Benning, Slep, Davidson under contract at team friendly deals in order to make any sort of UFA acquisition and, even then, we may not have the room.

21. OriginalPouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

Hamonic was awful last year, truly awful. I used that as an argument against it being a good trade for the flames but really thought (feared) he’d bounce back to his previous levels. As of now, he certainly has not – a large part has been Brodie struggling as well but that 2nd pairing has not been good for them.

It really makes me smile that they don’t have a pick in any of the first three rounds in this, apparent, deep draft.

22. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Munny:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

23. jtblack says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

“Treliving has now traded what two firsts and seven seconds”-

He has traded away the Future. But I am not sure he had a choice. Their Captain is 32 / 33. Only a few years of his Best Hockey remains. So I think Burke and Treliving pushed all their chips to the middle and were hoping for a WPG like renaissaince.

Funny thing is: Look back at the posts on here; everyone was raving positively about the trade, even though Hamonic has been trending down.

The Gio contract is terrible. They have no middle depth scoring. They may patch together some ok seasons but I think they are in Long term trouble.

24. jtblack says:

CGY: They have

2018 3rd
    2019 1st

Everything else is 4th and later. So 2 picks in Top 3 rounds next 2 yrs. With Jagr Versteeg Gio & Smith all aging or over aged.

25. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

jtblack,

Was everyone raving about the trade? Seems like a steep price to pay. That said the Oilers could only make one of those types of trades. No doubt we would prefer it to have been for Hamonic over Reinhart.

Nurse-Larsson
    Klefbom-Hamonic
    Sekera-Benning

and not sign Russell and although we would still be crying over spilt Barzal we could at least say Chia brought balance to the blue.

26. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Munny,

– Yeah I wasn’t going to wade into this, but i’m in this camp

– There is no significant study where they take a large control group of same make-up and administer flu shot to half and not to other half. Therefore the efficacy of flu-shot is not known.

– Sure take it: but don’t be hating those who don’t…

27. Rebilled says:

Neuvirth does have a .915 this year with a very poor Philly team.

He’d be my pick. He can steal games and we have no Czechs?

28. Ryan says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    jtblack,

Was everyone raving about the trade? Seems like a steep price to pay. That said the Oilers could only make one of those types of trades. No doubt we would prefer it to have been for Hamonicover Reinhart.

Nurse-Larsson
    Klefbom-Hamonic
    Sekera-Benning

29. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Ryan,

At least the Flames traded 15 for Hamilton. Barzal in Calgary would have sucked for us.

30. Confused says:

Only five behind the flames!

We can catch them by Christmas!!

31. Lloyd B. says:

Confused:
    Only five behind the flames!

We can catch them by Christmas!!

We can catch them by next Thursday. 🙂

Problem is so can 4 other teams.

32. JimmyV1965 says:

33. JimmyV1965 says:

Munny:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

34. Thinker says:

Munny:
    You seem fairly optimistic on Davidson, LT.

However Auvitu’s greatest weakness is strength.Davey provides a nice mix of skating and strength. Has a decent shot too.

But I think we lose some speed and offense.Both OV2 and Nurse look like they’re fully on board with a 5-man-unit-in-the-OZone game plan.And I prefer it when the puck is in the opponent end and moving smartly.

Tuff call from here I think, but I like the idea of adding options and experience.Glad they got him, just wish he was a true rightie.

Sounds like someone hasn’t heard the legend of the Great Davidson, who rose from the ghost of Martin Marincin.

35. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar: Hamonic was awful last year, truly awful. I used that as an argument against it being a good trade for the flames but really thought (feared) he’d bounce back to his previous levels.As of now, he certainly has not – a large part has been Brodie struggling as well but that 2nd pairing has not been good for them.

Flames defence is overrated. Gio is a stud and the rest are meh. You take Gio off that backend and it’s not very pretty.

36. JimmyV1965 says:

jtblack:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

“Treliving has now traded what two firsts and seven seconds”-

He has traded away the Future. But I am not sure he had a choice. Their Captain is 32 / 33.Only a few years of his Best Hockey remains.So I think Burke and Treliving pushed all their chips to the middle and were hoping for a WPG like renaissaince.

The Gio contract is terrible.They have no middle depth scoring. They may patch together some ok seasons but I think they are in Long term trouble.

In the Flames defence they have a bunch of great prospects in the system right now. They have way more legit prospects than us.

37. JimmyV1965 says:

It would be funny though if the Flames didn’t make the playoffs and somehow won the lottery.

38. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

JimmyV1965:

The Isles with Dahlin might be unstoppable in a couple of years.

39. deardylan says:

Anyone out there know of any astute waiver pickups in the past that really helped a team with the rest of their season?

40. Gordies Elbow says:

Munny: Some more truth:

NYT Nov 10, 2016.

link

If you have any family at risk (elderly, poor health) please get vaccinated. It’s their lives that are at risk.

If not, please speak to an MD. They’ll be happy to explain the benefits and the risks.

41. gogliano says:

I just noticed that our goaltending duo is running a combined .895 save percentage.

Wonder if Dwayne Roloson is available.

42. Bruce McCurdy says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    jtblack,

Nurse-Larsson
    Klefbom-Hamonic
    Sekera-Benning

43. Thinker says:

deardylan:

Rich Peverley in Atlanta. He helped, but it was Atlanta.

44. Bruce McCurdy says:

deardylan:

Ray Whitney.

#%<€*?#*

45. hunter1909 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – There is nothing wrong with taking the flu shot. Your not a moron if you do or don’t: it’s not like vaccinations for kids (where you are full-stop a moron if you don’t follow the perscribed protocols, which have eradicated some diseases, untill a stripper playboy bunny blames her kids autism on needles)

I know nothing about this controversy… but didn’t a lot of American soldiers get sick from getting filled full of various vaccinations from 1991’s Operation Desert Storm?

46. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Bruce McCurdy: No saving the Reinhart deal but I’m pretty sure in revisiting what happened this past summer that I’d rather have Russell signed as a UFA than trading three valuable draft picks for Hamonic. Contracts aren’t that different either.

Hi Mr. McCurdy. In my hypothetical scenario, I was not taking Calgary’s deal over just signing Russell.

The Oilers traded a 1st and a 2nd for Griffin Reinhart.
    The Flames made a similar deal for Hamonic.

Reinhart is not here and is in the AHL with Vegas.
    Hamonic is playing fairly poorly but is on the Flames’ blue line.

I would have preferred, of course, that the Oilers did not trade a 1st and 2nd (plus) for either of Reinhart or Hamonic, but if they had to do one or the other, then Hamonic would be the choice.

Most preferred to least preferred:
    1) No deal (and sign Russell or someone else)
    2) Trade only for Hamonic and not sign Russell
    3) Trade for Reinhart, lose him for nothing, then sign Russell.

So I think we are actually probably on the same page?

47. Boiled-in-Oil says:

Gordies Elbow,

Long time lurker but the conversation has turned to something important to me. I have psoriatic arthritis that at times, is crippling. Forthreenyears I have been on methotrexate, which suppresses the immune system leaving me unable to fight off infections. I have to take the flu shot, as does my wife. It frustrates me that people do not tkae a little time to consider the effect they have on others. Check what killed Glenn Frey of the Eagles. Complications from pneumonla but related to the long time use of methotrexate. I appreciate the posters here with such great knowledge and caring. I always thought of you posters as good people, this just emphasizes it.

As you were………..what about that Davidson acquisition.

48. who says:

Ryan: There was a time not long ago where I was alone on an island here as the only poster who regretted or disliked the Reinhart trade more than the Hall trade. Then Barzal became Barzal. Now most people share my view.

You weren’t alone.

49. Bling says:

Regarding KY, I don’t think it is unusual for players to have an adjustment period after being sent back to junior.

A similar thing happened with Draisaitl, who was off to a slowish start before ending his season with 53 points in 32 games. Another famous example of a player playing down to his competition is Ryan Getzlaf, who in his final junior season put up 54 points in 51 games.

I expect KY’s numbers to rebound.

Keep in mind that he was one of the most effective 5v5 scorers in the entire WHL last season, and also that his shooting percentage is a measly 4% at the moment.

I personally wouldn’t bet against a guy who showed up pretty well in possession numbers and scoring chance numbers as an 18 year old at the NHL level.

He’ll be here when he gets here.

50. Munny says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Flames were kind of the anti-Oilers. Smith was giving them good goaltending. But he has struggled lately and the team looks exposed.

This is definitely the right view when looking from the mountaintop.. Nice succinct observation.

JimmyV1965: The Flyers are awful but you know they’re bound to snap the losing streak soon. Awesome that it happened against the Flames!!!!!

I know! Absolutely perfect.

51. Munny says:

Gordies Elbow: Health care practitioners are encouraged to vaccinate for “herd immunity.” It’s a form of indirect protection from infectious disease that occurs when a large percentage of a population has become immune to an infection, thereby providing a measure of protection for individuals who are not.

link

I haven’t expressed any personal opinion one way or another. I am only adding evidence that quotes a comprehensive flu study and the continent’s if not the world’s leading flu expert.

As the study showed, the facts are the existing flu vaccine can never provide immunity to a large percentage of the population. Maybe a future one can. Maybe a different treatment can.

Science isn’t about the exclusion of data. Neither is informed decision-making. Which contrary to the government’s wishes, is still allowed. I accept those people whose decision-making leads them to get vaccinated and those whose thinking leads them not to vaccinate too.

(And I personally would feel a helluva lot better if vaccination manufacturers could be litigated against, but they are exempt from liability in the US, where the serious awards are)

52. deardylan says:

Amazing we can even have a flu discussion on this board with so many different opinions like the diversity of our fingerprints!

Q1 Only thing I can add is to go global in perspective and wonder does our earth have the flu? How can we immunise our planet? Or not.

Q2 Or go super small into origin of the flu… where does the flu really start and why. I know it is a virus…yet where did this virus really come from. Is it at the atomic stage, molecules, DNA?

Is Q1 and Q2 connected to our discussion about human flu?

53. OriginalPouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

JimmyV1965: The problem with having a good preseason is it’s nothing like the regular season. And the first 10 games is nothing like the last 10 games. Yammer was one of our best players in the preseason and it meant diddly once the real games started.

The thing is, no, Yamamoto was not, in my opinion, one of the better forwards in pre-season – not surprisingly, his play deteriorated as the competition got stronger by the the eye test.

If a guy like Benson has a great camp and makes the team – there is nothing precluding the team from re-assigning him to Bakersfield after 4, 10, 20 games if he’s struggling.

54. OriginalPouzar says:

Hoping Larsson will be on the ice today but I think that’s wishful thinking – doubt we see him until the weekend, at the earliest.

Will be interesting to see if Davidson gets moved up to an actual pairing (he was with Sekera yesterday at practice).

55. v4ance says:

deardylan,

I’m not a medical expert but the flu vaccine is created based on the flu strains that they find percolating in Asia in the summer months. It takes about 4 months to develop and manufacture enough doses of vaccine so immunologists have to guess which strains to innoculate against by September. The time frame of 4 months matches how long it normally takes the flu to travel from Asia to North America.

It’s the winter months when we as a population are coldest and most succeptible to catching the flu and when we need protection. They look at which strains are the most common or most dangerous and they use statistical anaylses to determine what they are going to manufacture based on what they believe will protect the most people from sickness and death. The most dangerous strains are the ones which get bred into the flu vaccines. The flu vaccines are most effective if they scientifically guessed correctly. If a flu strain that they didn’t anticipate to spread as fast, and wasn’t incorporated in the current vaccine dominates the flu season, that’s when you see an uptick in flu related mortalities.

Flu viruses are hard to predict because they change constantly. What happens is that an animal gets sick with a virus and the virus can exchange biological material with other viruses within that animal that changes the flu into a new strain. (Hence the H1N1 or H2N1 flu or various nomenclatures) So when that sick animal comes into contact with humans it can pass on the newly altered flu virus.

Sometimes the virus can be changed to be more or less deadly, it can have longer or shorter incubation periods, it can even be changed so it doesn’t cause a flu reaction in humans either where we are just carriers.

The most recent new sources of flu viruses have been birds and pigs but cattle, cats, dogs and any other farm animals have been known to incubate and spread flu viruses. The 1918 flu pandemic was thought to have originated from horse to human contact (I believe). The reason why Southeast Asia is the source of many flu viruses is because there is still many (relatively) primitive family farms and markets (handling newly butchered sick animals) with close contact of humans and livestock and a lack of sanitary standards. We have factory farms in North America with just as many livestock but outbreaks tend to be contained by better medical care, quarantine procedures and higher sanitary environment and procedures (gloves, ppe, washing hands with soap after handling, etc.)

56. OriginalPouzar says:

If the Oilers miss the playoffs, the only thing that would make my happier than the Oilers winning the lottery would be the flames winning the lottery and not having their first round pick – that would just be epic (in particular with that pick being held by an Eastern team).

57. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

JimmyV1965,

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

OriginalPouzar,

During the Saturday night game a very interesting statistic came up on the screen. Turns out that the Flames are even more “one dimensional” than the Oilers. IIRC Johnny G. is involved in 47% of the Flames goals (the highest percentage in the league), Connor was very close (45%ish).

All off-season I’d hear from Flames fans (and I know its been brought up here as well) how screwed the Oilers were with only one offensive line.

So I asked a Flames friend about that number and how it was slightly higher than CmD’s and the response I got back was “well when you’re as talented as Johnny its not a surprise that the team’s offense flows through you…” Best part was he said it with a straight face.

58. OriginalPouzar says:

Good numbers.

Just speculation here via observation but my gut tells me that the Oilers percentage of goals that flow through Connor has decreased in the last few weeks. It seems the scoring is being spread out a bit.

59. deardylan says:

v4ance:
    deardylan,

I’m not a medical expert but the flu vaccine is created based on the flu strains that they find percolating in Asia in the summer months. It takes about 4 months to develop and manufacture enough doses of vaccine so immunologists have to guess which strains to innoculate against by September.The time frame of 4 months matches how long it normally takes the flu to travel from Asia to North America.

Thanks V4ance – learned many new things from you about the flu! Have a new respect for how much works goes into creating a vaccine and how challenging it is to make it effective.

« Older Comments