Bridge Over Troubled Water

The Edmonton Oilers had a deja vu moment this weekend, when claiming Brandon Davidson from the Montreal Canadiens. It gives the team some interesting options, now and when everyone else is healthy. It also allows the general manager an opportunity to contemplate a truly inexpensive third pairing next season.

THE ATHLETIC

Great new offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

50-MAN

• We’re less than halfway through the regular season and the two locks for LW next season appear to be Milan Lucic and Jujhar Khaira. Just like we called it!
  • Mark Letestu is not an expensive player and fills a unique role on the team. Would you bring him back?
  • Jesse Puljujarvi is emerging now, we’re getting a glimpse of what he can do with skill. So far in his NHL career, he’s 38, 5-7-12, that projects to 11-15-26 for 82 games. I think he’ll post better numbers than those projections, but even if he lands there, that’s a good NHL season at 19. It makes things easier for Kailer Yamamoto to ease into the lineup next fall as well, only one unproven player at the position.
  • Brandon Davidson’s arrival gives the Oilers all kinds of options. They could run Klefbom-Sekera-Nurse on LH side when everyone is healthy, and then Larsson-Russell-Benning RH side. I’m going to bet Davidson forces his way into the top 6D, possibly in a rotation with Benning and Russell. Klefbom appears to be finding his way. The offseason may give Peter Chiarelli an opportunity to deal a LHD for a RHD.
  • The entire goalie depth chart seems uncertain today. A season can (and has) ripped the hell out of that position.

That’s the kind of trade we may see, wonder if the organization will give Brossoit the Flyers game before making a decision. The season is on the line, so there is a tremendous amount of urgency here. Neuvirth is a player who has been connected to Edmonton, mostly via free agency.

PROJECTED 2018-19 ROSTER AND CAP

• I wanted to have a quick look at next year, recent word has the cap at $80 million and that really helps. There are some significant RFA’s (as above) but the money should work and allow the team to retain RNH.
  • Run this way, it’s easy to see why the current auditions are so important, and why the emergence of Jujhar Khaira and Jesse Puljujarvi is such a big deal.
  • The Davidson pickup is going to allow Peter Chiarelli to wheel, moving a LHD for something else in an area of need. Goalie? RHD? Sniper? Who is going?
  • Among the RFA’s, who gets the biggest contract? Would you bridge Darnell?

255 Responses to "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

« Older Comments
  1. OriginalPouzar says:

As was posted earlier, Sekera participated in contact drills today.

Gregor is reporting that he’s hoping to be back by Christmas.

The next step is to see how his knee responds to the strenuous contact drills and up-tempo practice.

Reggie is coming – it still could be the new year but he’s coming.

2. John Chambers says:

hunter1909:
    Just in case Maroon’s agent has delusions of grandeur…

I seriously hope they trade Maroon to some sucker team…Maroon’s a 15 goal man outside McDavid’s orbit.

And I’m a bigtime Maroon fan.

I don’t think the market for Maroon will be very strong this summer. At most I think he’d get offered 3×3 and it’s possible the Oilers need him and value him more than anyone else does.

I’d be okay with 3×3 as even if you buy out the last year it’s digestible. But he’s got a Troy Brouwer feel to his career trajectory.

Kailer Yamamoto has been invited to US WJ camp, Phil Kemp also gets an invite

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Kailer Yamamoto has been invited to US WJ camp, Phil Kemp also gets an invite

No McPhee is a bit disappointing.

Wow, Kemp is a 7th round pick this spring – he’s already exceeded expectations for a 7th rounder.

5. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Oscar Klefbom, Darnell Nurse, Kris Russell, Matt Benning, Davidson, Yohann Auvitu, Eric Gryba

– If that isn’t a 29th place team D, I don’t know what is…

– We going to need a lot of goals to win games: come on McL’ just let the boys give er’

6. Jordan says:

OriginalPouzar:
    As was posted earlier, Sekera participated in contact drills today.

Gregor is reporting that he’s hoping to be back by Christmas.

Reggie is coming – it still could be the new year but he’s coming.

Now that’s a Christmas Present. Good chance this team is done, but…

The last time we were down this road, Connor was injured, our defense employed key players like Adam Clendenning, Nikita Nikitin, Griffin Reinhart and Justin Schultz.

This team is significantly better than what they’e shown so far this year, and we know a lot of their results have been due to really terrible luck, as seen through their PDO.

The shooting percentage is starting to regress. If that continues, and this team continues win the possesion, shots and chances battles, they will win more than they lose.

If the Sv% doesn’t tank.

I’m hoping one of the internal options can carry the day.

Go Oilers!

7. Thinker says:

If Russel is so good at shot blocking, why don’t we put him in net???

8. dustrock says:

I had kind of floated the idea of trading Maroon, a LW we are unlikely to re-sign at the price he wants, for Evander Kane, a LW we are unlikely to re-sign at the price he wants.

Just thought if the goal is to actually make the playoffs this year, here’s a move that would improve the forwards, hopefully without a huge acquisition cost.

I suspect Buffalo will just wait until the deadline and ransom Kane off but if he’s available, if I’m Chia I’m calling about him.

Maybe Buffalo thinks they can afford to re-sign Maroon, and maybe it would be more attractive for him as it’s closer to his St. Louis home where his son lives.

9. frjohnk says:

Thinker:
    If Russel is so good at shot blocking, why don’t we put him in net???

Who is gonna shoot on our net then?
    You need to “think” about this kind of stuff.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

– If that isn’t a 29th place team D, I don’t know what is…

11. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:

I can’t imagine BUF would trade Kane for an impending UFA.

I understand your premise on him maybe resigning with BUF but that’s way too much of a risk for a player they will be able to sell for a very substantial haul of futures.

12. Scungilli Slushy says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Scungilli Slushy,

Ya I keep hearing that “the playoffs are lost” and then I look at the Pacific standings and the schedules left for each team and there is no way I make that case yet.

They need to play better, no question about it, but that division is up for grabs and probably will be until sometimes in late March.

Yes they are still in it. I and others have looked at the win % they need to hit last year’s cutoff, I did it a few games ago and they needed a .600 win % then. The issue is gaining on teams so several need to slump to gain on them unless the Oilers can run season series on them.

Completely possible but I was getting at that it’s closer to lost than that it happens. I factor in key players injured and erratic play from players and the team. If they make it I give them a low chance of winning the Cup so I don’t want them to do anything like lose players that can help in the future to prop this dog up.

Bring in a player for the future sure, but that’s unlikely now. More a summer type deal.

13. Oilman99 says:

Bridge contract for Nurse is the only way to go. Too many times a big contract has been given out too early. The player needs more than one good year if he wants the big bucks.

14. Material pocession says:

dustrock:

For starters, the acquisition cost would be more than Maroon. They will want high draft picks and/or young, cost-controlled players for Kane. And Maroon doesn’t have a lot of caché around the league as it trends away from slow skaters. The Oilers could get a second or third round pick for him as it stands right now.

Secondly, I don’t think Maroon would be interested in signing with Buffalo. It’s closer to home than Edmonton, but at 740 miles, not very close at all. And they’re a perennial loser, which makes signing *any* pending UFA difficult. It’s either Edmonton on a good deal (for the Oilers), a substantial discount to play at home, or team C (who gives him the most money; hopefully not the Oilers).

15. Silver Streak says:

dustrock,

Kane is not what we need or want in our room…..ask Winnipeg what happened when they dumped him

16. Oilman99 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Only a bonehead would trade a future ufa for another ufa.

17. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar: Good thing the team is fifth in the NHL in even strength scoring and the PP is bound to get hot ant any moment.

– exactly: we are due. A few games where everyone has to play a little harder on all-round and a lot of goals to protect our goalie is what we need

– Then Sek Larsson come back and we light it up

– 5th in 5×5 scoring? That doesn’t fit the narrative of this team giving up all its scoring?

18. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909:
    Just in case Maroon’s agent has delusions of grandeur…

And I’m a bigtime Maroon fan.

He’s been good for the Oilers however his previous best was 11 goals. He may sign for a reasonable contract if he realizes he was marginal pre Connor. It still needs to be short, the league speed might blow by him as quickly as it did Gryba.

19. Pouzar says:

Friedman on Hockey Central mentioning Letestu as a guy the Pens could be interested in.

20. Material pocession says:

Oilman99:

I agree with this. Make him earn the money. There is a school of thought that people, in general, perform at a higher level on shorter contracts. Of course there is evidence to support and dispute this; I would prefer the team to stop taking on most of the risk with the long term high AAV contracts. Short term is fine. If he wants a long term deal, it can’t be more than $4.5-5M/year.

21. GMB3 says:

They’ve definitely been a better team of late.

22. GMB3 says:

Oilman99:

I agree. I’d rather pay more later and know what I’m getting, since the RFA discount is a thing of the past anyways

23. Scungilli Slushy says:

Nurse has shown what he can do. He also is league proof. He can play gritty or he can play a skating game. There is no downside I can see. Close to 5M is market for a player like him now. If you bridge him and he keeps progressing it will be far more. He isn’t the type to not drive ahead. He can skate handle the rough stuff and fight, he actually seems to like it.

As the league moves to speed and less obstruction and attacking players to contain them (slashing and holding and cheap shots) I think his type might become even more valuable very soon.

24. Surrey Oiler says:

Pouzar:

Surrey Oiler: Great, the vultures are beginning to circle…tells me the state of this team perceived by the media, and other teams.

Good Christ.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:

Its still too early in my opinion to “sell” our pending UFAs – unless PIT is ready to overpay with a 2nd rounder.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy:

I can see pros and cons to both bridge and term contracts.

What I don’t think I agree with is progression in Nurse’s game making him materially more expensive. If we bridge and wait, the next contract will likely be more expensive but mostly as a function of inflation and a higher cap.

28. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – exactly: we are due.A few games where everyone has to play a little harder on all-round and a lot of goals to protect our goalie is what we need

– Then Sek Larsson come back and we light it up

– 5th in 5×5 scoring?That doesn’t fit the narrative of this team giving up all its scoring?

In all honesty I don”t think it’s a forced narrative or anything.

Oilers scored what, 32 goals in first 15 games. It was an issue and the young guys were struggling.

We knew PDO played some role. Next 12 games way more goals.

Unfortunately the goaltending was shoddy.

No forced narratives, just calling a spade a spade. Right now Khaira, JP, etc bringing it. That’s great. Hope they keep it up and the D and tending gets better. ,

29. Side says:

I have no clue what this comment of yours even means.

Other teams see the Oilers have good players that they want on their team.

Shocking stuff!

30. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Side: I have no clue what this comment of yours even means.

Other teams see the Oilers have good players that they want on their team.

Shocking stuff!

And yeah, scratching my head at vultures.

31. thehop says:

Silver Streak:
    dustrock,

No need to ask Winnipeg.. spit it out!?

Personally I’ll gladly take a guy like him on McDavid’s left wing.

But then again, I’m not privy to the same information you are.

32. stevezie says:

Side: I have no clue what this comment of yours even means.

Other teams see the Oilers have good players that they want on their team.

Shocking stuff!

No one is wondering if the playoff teams might move contributing players for futures, are they?

I guess if you want Ian Cole for him it’s slightly different.

33. stevezie says:

thehop,

Be reasonable, there’s rumours and then there’s rumours. EVEN IF you decide you don’t care about Kane’s criminal allegations (big if), it was openly acknowledged that there was a rift between him and the Jets leadership. That’s not just heresay.

Now, whether that followed him to Buffalo I have no idea. Maybe he fits in fine with the new group.

Clearly a fine player. I also think locker room unison is overrated. Those allegations, however- that is the rare kind of off-ice stuff that actually matters.

A lot of due diligence would be required.

34. stevezie says:

Scungilli Slushy: Maroon’s a 15 goal man outside McDavid’s orbit.

He’s only on pace for 24 with 97! He’s a nice player but there is no call for a big payday.

35. Munny says:

stevezie: I also think locker room unison is overrated

When are you gonna learn to get along, Zissou?

36. JimmyV1965 says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Absolutely. No bridge please.

37. JimmyV1965 says:

thehop: Well since you are the apparent insider into what Kane is like in a locker room… why don’t you tell us?
    No need to ask Winnipeg.. spit it out!?

Personally I’ll gladly take a guy like him on McDavid’s left wing.

But then again, I’m not privy to the same information you are.

It’s not even attitude. Look up inconsistent in the dictionary and you will see his face. I did take him in my draft though so I’m loving him right now. Thing is I want to trade him but no one will bite because he’s so inconsistent.

38. stevezie says:

Munny: When are you gonna learn to get along, Zissou?

Alright I take that back. Let’s have some teamsmenship!

39. Professor Q says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Pittsburgh needs a 3C. Pittsburgh used to have Letestu. Pittsburgh can’t afford Nuge or even Brandon Sutter. Hence Letestu back to the Pens has been speculated often. Friedman saying nothing new.

And yeah, scratching my head at vultures.

40. Pouzar says:

And yeah, scratching my head at vultures.

First I’ve heard of it. Shrug

41. thehop says:

stevezie,

JimmyV1965,

Sorry boys…

What you are offering as evidence is, at best anecdotal, at worst it’s something I’d rather not delve into.
    I saw it on this site when Kassian was hired, see it all the time elsewhere when athletes don’t conform to the rigidity of being a public figure in our society.

Reasonable people, I would like to think I am one, don’t judge a hockey player by their behaviour off ice or the perceived behaviour in a dressing room they were never a part of and never will be.

I’d love to see that guy in an Oilers uniform because I think he could help the Oilers win a cup.

I don’t care what kind of person you think he is because he does things you don’t agree with, or wouldn’t do yourself.

Stevesie, I’ll see you trout fishing perhaps next summer sometime if you do frequent the Brazeau.

42. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: If we are talking about $5M now for term then I don’t imagine he will prove to be worth materially more than that unless his offence spikes to 40 plus.

He’s on pace for mid 30’s playing on a horribly slumping team with no D stability due to injuries and the top 2 forwards off their game. He could hit 40 this season.

The bet with him would be against the team – that they don’t get the help in the 3 holes largely identified around here mostly (backup, 2RD, scoring winger) and he gets stuck progressing because the team implodes.

I see him as having worked to settle his D side down and now is moving back to his O game. I don’t see an elite scoring D, but I see a ‘Pronger style’ player – horrible to play against, impossible to intimidate, helps offense in a decent way, and add to that is also faster than you. Wait until he’s 27. He doesn’t have his man brain and strength yet, he’s not even 23.

I see JP the same way.

43. JimmyV1965 says:

thehop:
    stevezie,

JimmyV1965,

Sorry boys…

Look at his yearly point totals. He scored 57 pts in 2012 and then his next highest was 43 last year. That’s inconsistent.

44. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Professor Q: But shouldn’t that mean that Edmonton would be wise to retain him for the same reasons?

Pouzar: First I’ve heard of it. Shrug

Am on a flight bound for NYC so will reply to both together if ok.

My point was just that I heard this before. Hardly vultures.

And yes we should retain him unless Pens go crazy and offer something really good.

45. digger50 says:

I wonder how many readers out there during the evening now, but what the heck, I’ll do some late night posting anyway.

I have been reading a few articles how Gryba has been “terrible” this season. Slow, takes penalties and that narrative never seems to die.

He has not been terrible, he’s been quite good Vtually, and been playing with one hand tied behind his back.

We signed Gryba for a purpose, and that was to add toughness as this team turned around. He helped with that and will still help as I have seen more than one game where our d men have come out secondi best in the physical battles.

He was not hired for speed or skating, just to be a 6-7 d man you can utilize when you need a hammer. Thing is, these player types draw penalties, that’s a fact and price you pay. The alternative is getting run out of the rink so has to be a balance.

I just find it hypocritical to hire a man for his grit then judge him on his speed or puck moving when you knew those were not his strengths in the first place.

I said earlier “one hand tied behind his back”. If you intend to play Gryba, but tell him to ease off so he avoids penalties, yeah you just took away the reason you hired him.

I like the Davidson pick up. Who moves out? Well Gryba was great as a 7 d man last year, still contributing when called upon. Who moves out will likely be determined by injury.

Davidson, Auvitu, Gryba, those are some good depth choices and a much stronger position to be in.

46. treevojo says:

thehop:
    stevezie,

JimmyV1965,

Sorry boys…

How’s this for heresay.

This was after being traded for not fitting into a locker room.

Sounds like a team first type of guy.

digger50:

Visits haven’t gone down with the lack of 5pm posts, which is a bit of a surprise to me. Condors won 5-1 tonight, Pasquale stopping 35 of 36, Callahan 1-2-3, Lowe 1-1-2 and Gust 2-0-2.

48. digger50 says:

Lowetide: Visits haven’t gone down with the lack of 5pm posts, which is a bit of a surprise to me.Condors won 5-1 tonight, Pasquale stopping 35 of 36, Callahan 1-2-3, Lowe 1-1-2 and Gust 2-0-2.

Interesting to note LT.

For me, kids wind down and bed time is my chance to catch up. Right after I just wound them up with mini sticks and AC/DC. (Whoops) Isn’t it peculiar how all the young players love thier AC/DC yet have hardly ever heard them outside of warm ups?

On the Condors we have a few guys just screaming “give me a chance” and while normally it’s fun to watch someone new take a shot at the NHL, this year we have no more appetite for auditions or underdogs.I’m generalizing with the “We” part.

Finally, Ducks just scored on the Knights. Gotta cheer first that it’s not a tie game, second for the knights. Still say Oilers should hire whoever scouted all the talent for the Knights expansion draft. Hell of a job.

49. Scungilli Slushy says:

digger50:

Gryba is a smart player IMO. If he was a normal skater at the NHL level I think he’d be a pretty good player. The league made a sudden shift (I mean mission control) and it left him and other skating optional guys in the lurch.

IF you can’t slash hands, obstruct, interfere, run players with impunity, hit high, obviously pick, being immobile makes you not helpful. How can you play effectively?

The league has backed off enforcement repeatedly over the years. What I think is changing is the potential cost of losing the lawsuits and the possibility of lawsuits ramping up for contact sports.

Because of legal action over concussion I believe they will stay the course overall (with wobbles as they forget why they are afraid of giving money away) and teams, especially ours, should focus on talent and speed in various forms, but no more heavy boots. What a shame to have Connor and not build a team that can be as successful and exciting as it could be.

50. stevezie says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Selling high if a team wants to overpay is good. But overall it is too soon to be selling. Yup.

Definitely

51. thehop says:

treevojo,

There is a definite difference between hearsay and anecdotal evidence. And the article you posted only goes to prove my point.

If you’ve never partied hard and bailed on work the next day, you are a team guy, a real world saint. I’ve done it and I don’t expect hockey players to be perfect. I’ll take the 16 goals they alluded to and whatever else came after that all day.

Point I’m trying make here is…

Hockey players get paid to score points and win hockey games, Stanley Cups are most preferable.

I’ve seen it here before and it rubs me the wrong way. People take stories and bend the narrative to fit their idea of what a hockey player should be. I think it’s bullshit and I’ll argue that till the sun goes down.

Guys like Kassian, Kane (buf), Kane (chi), Seguin have tremendous value to teams that want to win.If you can’t look past the fact that they aren’t squeaky clean “team players” that says more about you than it does about them.

52. treevojo says:

thehop:
    treevojo,

Point I’m trying make here is…

I’m no saint.

I was just pointing out it isn’t all hearsay.

Take a look at his contract year point totals compared to the rest.

I’m comfortable saying I know what team he plays for.

53. stevezie says:

thehop:
    stevezie,

JimmyV1965,

Sorry boys…

I’m in a weird position as I agree with what you’re saying in almost every other case. Smoke isn’t always fire, we’re not in the room and even if people aren’t getting a long it is impossible to tell from the outside who is at fault, or whether or not it as actually affecting the hockey. I neither defended nor attacked Hall, for example, arguing instead that people who liked or disliked him personally were missing the point.

With Kane, however, we actually do know a few things.

He really did have a (widely publicized) falling out with his teammates in Winnipeg. It erached teh point where he just skipped a game. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kane-skipped-game-after-incident-with-teammates/

Not a rumour.

We actually know that he has been suspended by the Sabres for partying too much (linked above). He had been benched by the jets for skipping practices in the past http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/04/evander-kane-may-be-a-healthy-scratch-in-toronto.html

We know he was charged after a nightclub incident. http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/evander-kane-officially-charged-over-alleged-buffalo-nightclub-incident

The charges were dropped.

We know he was sued for assault in BC

I believe unsuccessfully? I’m not actually sure how this one ended/

We know-and this is obviously a big one-hehttps://www.si.com/nhl/2016/03/11/evander-kane-sexual-assault-investigation-cleared was accused of sexual assault. Now it is true that the police decided not to proceed, but it is also true that once this decision was reached the woman in question began a civil suit for assault

That case, I believe, has is ongoing.

So we know– not anecdotally, but have it confirmed- that he has been disciplined by two different teams for missing team events, skipped a game after an incident with teammates, and has been accused of some really serious stuff.

I left out the unverified rumours, but the list does get longer if you include those.

Is it possible that this incredible collection of smoke is a series of misunderstandings, false accusations, and stuff that is not his fault? Totally! We all know it is!

But hot damn, do you ever look hard into it before you trade for the guy.

But nine times out of ten I would completely agree with you.

P.S I don’t see much of Brazeau any more but my old pappy took us out there every summer. I’ve heard the fishing can be good but empty pop bottles was all we would kill.

54. stevezie says:

thehop,

I’m not sure Seguin belongs in that list. He may have “partied”, but big deal. Kassian had substance abuse issues that derailed his career. Doesn’t make him a bad person, but is definitely something for a potential employer to be aware of. Not a rumour, admitted fact.

P Kane was convicted for attacking a cabby and twice charged with assaulting a woman. That’s a lot more serious than Seguin staying up late but still making the game.

Sather took a chance on MacT who worked not only to turn his reputation as a player around, but his reputation as a person. I believe in redemption- and I also believe that a lot of people have reputations they don’t deserve. Especially people who might not fit the traditional profile for how a hockey player acts or looks. So I want to believe.

But that doesn’t mean you close your eyes and pretend the smoke isn’t there.

55. stevezie says:

I see I have a comment awaiting moderation, which is fair considering the subject matter some of the articles I linked to were about.

Since by the time it clears no one will care anymore, I’ll sum up by saying I don’t believe in rumour mongering, but on rare occasions some things are actually known and other things are at least suspected for good reason and any responsible employer would be foolish not to do their due diligence.

I’ll add that on RARE occasions moral concerns can trump hockey considerations.

9 times out of 10 I’d agree with THEHOP. This is a special situation involving a lot more solid causes for concern than anecdotal hearsay.

« Older Comments