G28 2017-18: Flyers at Oilers

The Edmonton Oilers are winners of three out of their last four games, are two goals below NHL average (78-80) and 11 goals against below average (80-91) for the season. They have Adam Larsson, Cam Talbot and Andrej Sekera on IR, two new hires in Brandon Davidson and Nathan Walker, and four lines with a story to tell. Philly is in town. Prepare for crazy.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great new offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

LONG DECEMBER, YEAR OVER YEAR

• December 2015: 1-0-0, goal differential 0
  • December 2016: 1-0-0, goal differential +3
  • December 2017: 1-0-0, goal differential +2

G2 December 2015 was a 2-1 win in overtime over Dallas, and it was a 3-2 OT win against Anaheim one year ago. Wins are either vital or unnecessary depending on how far gone you view this season. A win tonight (and losses by Calgary and Anaheim) puts Edmonton two points back of the Ducks and three behind the Flames. It”s there, climbing back into this race, but the injuries are substantial now.

AFTER 28, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 10-15-2, goal differential -15
  • Oilers 16-17: 14-10-3, goal differential +10
  • Oilers 17-18: 11-14-2, goal differential -13

G28 in 2015-16 was a 4-2 win over Buffalo that featured goals from Teddy Purcell and Luke Gazdic. Last year it was a 4-3 OT loss to Buffalo on a Rasmus Ristolainen goal. A win tonight gets Edmonton to within a whisker of point-per-game for the season.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DECEMBER

• On the road to: Calgary (Expected: 0-0-1) (Actual: 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Philadelphia (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual: 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Montreal, Toronto, Columbus (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Nashville (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: San Jose, St. Louis, Montreal (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Winnipeg (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Chicago, Winnipeg (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-6-2, 12 points in 13 games
  • Current results: 1-0-0, two points in one game

PERSONAL OPINION

Once every blue moon I write a personal opinion blog (last year around Christmas) and I thought it would be a good time for another. A month from now, we might be in full draft and deadline sell mode, so this is the last chance for a lot of these discussion points.

• Grab a goalie. I’ve always felt, based on usage, coach Todd McLellan lacked confidence in Laurent Brossoit. If the opportunity arises to procure a veteran who can run with the job this month, make it so. A third-round pick and risk of Brossoit on waivers isn’t enough to stop that train.
  • Sign Patrick Maroon if the money and term are right. If not, trade at the deadline. One of Chiarelli’s best trades, Maroon is on pace for 24 goals, after scoring 27 a year ago. If the club can sign him to something around $4 million a year and for something in the range of three years, then make it so. If not, offload him for the new Maroon, a player in a similar position to the one PM faced in Anaheim deadline 2016. A speed merchant who shoots a lot would be ideal.
  • Keep all the defensemen, once they’re healthy. Edmonton has Adam Larsson and Andrej Sekera on IR currently, with Darnell Nurse, Kris Russell, Oscar Klefbom, Matt Benning, Brandon Davidson, Eric Gryba and Yohann Auvitu holding down the fort. I’d keep eight defensemen when everyone returns. Seriously. The Oilers may end up running Klefbom-Larsson, Nurse-Sekera as top 4D and can rotate the rest.
  • Don’t trade Klefbom or the Nuge, now or in summer. I think this is the big one. The cluster, as I see it, is McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Benning. That’s your no-fly zone right there.
  • Peter Chiarelli should recognize the high-risk trade is not for him. A hold over from a year ago, it still applies.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun return this morning at 10, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. The new arrivals, what to do in goal until Talbot returns.
  • Gerry Moddejonge, Post Media. Eskimos send a mittful to the All-Star team.
  • Corey Pronman, The Athletic. Team Canada’s WJ invite list goes down at 11 this morning, Corey will give his opinions.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Glad to be back on the radio!

509 Responses to "G28 2017-18: Flyers at Oilers"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Apropos of the thread (esp. in regards to Bruce)

Note: Very good 3rd pairing Dmen should kill these metrics (just like Jones did before he got traded for Johansen)

EDM Dpairs 5v5 TOI so far this year:

NURSE RUSSELL -0.05
    LARSSON KLEFBOM -0.18
    RUSSELL AUVITU -1.63
    BENNING KLEFBOM -2.88
    RUSSELL BENNING -5.93
    GRYBA RUSSELL -7.89

Besides being LT”s favorite stat, its also useful here because the pairs are varied and pair RelCor will tell us more than straight CF% because its calculated per game the pair played, not just overall.

EDM’s CF% started our hotter than the Sun and has cooled. This needs to be taken into account, and this metric does that.

RelGF% per pair.
    Same reasoning as RelCF% except goals which are much more volatile in a small sample.

5v5 Rel GF%
    NURSE GRYBA 19.2
    RUSSELL BENNING 12.4
    NURSE RUSSELL 12.3
    LARSSON NURSE 7.4
    GRYBA AUVITU 2.6
    GRYBA RUSSELL 1.2
    RUSSELL AUVITU -3.3
    BENNING KLEFBOM -16.6
    LARSSON KLEFBOM -17.3

Klefbom being in the bottom two pairs here isn’t accident and its also related to the “trade Klefbom” rumours.

For the record last year he was: 56.6% GF with Larsson and 58.3% GF with Benning.

Trading Klefbom now is a huge mistake.

Huge.

Also,

Nurse-Russell is a great 2nd pair and elevating Russell to the Top 4 strengthens the Top 4 AND strengthens the bottom pair because he’s not there.

Its a must.

Also,

The number of Dmen who produced crappy Top 4 and meh bottom pair results as a 21 year old and then progressed to a Top 4 Dmen the next year is basically 0.

It doesn’t happen.

The best make themselves know early, even in 3rd pairing roles and Nurse didn’t do that.

He’s doing that now and projects very well based on the small sample that is this season if it persists.

I wonder if Adam Oates made that much difference?

2. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy v2.0: There is no prognostication that I am most wrong about than I was about Nurse not becoming what many saw.

If I were a professional trader like some of the posters in here, I’d be offering Nurse stock as one which still has a long, long way to go.

Nurse is going to be an unstoppable force.

Between him and Jesse Puljujarvi it’s kind of amazing how many top flight talents got drafted by the Oilers since Taylor Hall’s year and now.

Eventually, and certainly by the time he hits 26-27, Nurse is going to be like Gordie Howe back there, although focussing on his position defence lol

3. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: I wonder if Adam Oates made that much difference?

Night and day with the puck on his stick which I think allows him to hold it a little longer to find the calm waters while under duress instead of eating the puck or slamming it off the glass.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Samorukov with a goal and an assist now.

I will officially call him hot.

5. VOR says:

StixMalone: No I did not. That man was amazing. A vicious talented player. Always wonder what that man would do in today’s game. Would have have dominated even in the Eighties…

The thing I find most amazing is he had his best NHL season at 41 and his second best at 50. I met him in the late 70s and sat spellbound one evening while he told a preposterous tall tale about a “debt in blood.” It was all about how a guy way smaller than Kailer Yamamoto by the name of Winky Smith created the most frightening hockey player the game has ever known.

Then when Howe struggled mightily in his first full NHL season, Winky convinced Terrible Ted Lindsay to take young Gordie under his wing. As unlikely as it sounds Lindsay owed Winky. That is because in Winky’s few games in the NHL, and how many 5’5″ and 145 pound guys ever make it to the NHL, Winky had Lindsay’s back.

Lindsay got mugged by a couple of goons who tripped him and started kicking him with their skates. Winky came flying to his rescue. The injuries he suffered in that brawl cost Winky an NHL career he had been years earning.

This is why Winky was in Flint in the old USHL to mentor Howe. He taught Gordie how to be a pro. He also taught him how to protect himself. Winky is the guy who taught Howe to file his elbow pads down until the edges were razor sharp.

I still remember Howe’s punchline. “Winky Smith bought my career with his blood. When I asked him why he did all that for me his answer was “because that is what teammates do for each other”. I have had a career because of Winky and a lot of guys just like him, great teammates every one of them.”

I know now that the story was true, at least in part. But the reason it stuck in my mind was that Gordie was both unbelievably humble and very funny. However, the humor was all at his own expense. He was not at all what I expected a hockey superstar to be like and actually came off as remarkably gentle another thing I never would have thought such a ferocious warrior could possibly be away from the rink.

6. fishman says:

VOR,

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

7. hunter1909 says:

I hope Chiarelli can sit down with Nurse, Nurse’s dad, and their agent and pitch something like this:

We think we’re building a Stanley Cup winning team.

We want to pay Darnell THIRTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS

Chiarelli then fights tooth and nail over the final 5 million(on an 8 year term) but you want to believe that Nurse and his team are cool enough to sign on the dotted line to play with thecaptainconnormcdavid

8. deardylan says:

hunter1909: Dylan stole that from Picasso.

Hahah. Really?! Wonder who Picasso stole it from…

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life” – Pablo Picasso

9. hunter1909 says:

VOR: The thing I find most amazing is he had his best NHL season at 41 and his second best at 50.I met him in the late 70s and sat spellbound one evening while he told a preposterous tall tale about a “debt in blood.” It was all about how a guy way smaller than Kailer Yamamoto by the name of Winky Smith created the most frightening hockey player the game has ever known.

1 – Thank you for one of the greatest posts ever.

2 – I read once that Marty Howe came home from Grade 1, and asked his Dad why Gordie had never told him he was a famous hockey player. Seems like everyone else in the school knew but Marty.

10. McNuge93 says:

The fear of putting Brossoit on waivers is that a team that very well might pick him up is the Flames. That would be ironic.

11. StixMalone says:

Thanks for that! Awesome post

12. blainer says:

Awesome post.. Love those Gordie Howe stories

13. Pouzar says:

There we go Leaves.

14. jtblack says:

“There is no prognostication that I am most wrong about than I was about Nurse not becoming what many saw” ….

Takes a good person to admit they have been wrong. If I am ever wrong, I will be sure to admit it 😉

15. Pouzar says:

jtblack: If I am ever wrong, I will be sure to admit it

We’re cursed you and me.

16. jtblack says:

Oil have laid an egg in almost all their “lay up” games. Most recently in Buff. Continues tonight LB gets lit up again Oil Lose 5 – 4. Ellis starts in MTL.

17. OmJo says:

G’Oilers!

18. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st period*

Let’s go! Ed Van Impe, Tom Bladon and Reggie Leach are all coming to get the Oilers tonight!

We Flyers beat Calgary too, with many less goals!

Bernie Parent!!

Freddie the Fog!!

All of this tonight on Lowetide’s Blog!!

19. OmJo says:

My only concern with the emergence of Nurse is General Disappointment undervaluing one of Klefbom or Sekera and trading one of them. Probably Klefbom since he doesn’t have an NMC.

20. OmJo says:

hunter1909,

Glad you’re doing this again XP

21. Pouzar says:

jtblack:
    Oil have laid an egg in almost all their “lay up” games. Most recently in Buff.Continues tonightLB gets lit up againOil Lose 5 – 4. Ellis starts in MTL.

That didn’t take long.

22. OmJo says:

McDavid looking like a man out there

They grow up so fast *wipes tear*

23. OmJo says:

Might be one of the few remaining fans who has faith in LB.

Prove us right today!

24. jtblack says:

Pouzar,

Bahahaha

25. hunter1909 says:

The flyers media production is miles ahead of anything the Oilers do.

26. jtblack says:

OmJo,

He could have a good game BUT as an ex goalie, its hard to turn it around. His angles are off, not trascking the puck well, getting beat from everywhere. Knock on Wood

27. Lucinius says:

Auvitu and Gryba together still scares me.

28. OmJo says:

Weal was Eberles linemate in Regina.

29. OmJo says:

jtblack,

Those are things they can be taught/improved?

30. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st period*

All they need to do is swarm the Oiler’s goalie.

31. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st period*

Flyers intimidating the Oilers tonight during this powerplay.

32. OmJo says:

Is Nolan Patrick a bust yet?

33. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st period*

Flyers broadcast mocking the Oilers penalty kill lol

34. Pouzar says:

Well the game was going according to script with that early penalty.

35. texmex says:

What the hell is that PK formation?????

Flyers broadcast team making fun of it. Most passive PK they’ve seen all srason

36. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st period*

Oilers playing desperate hockey. They know if they get scored on 1st they’re half way to another big fat L

37. OmJo says:

Nurse smash!

38. Lucinius says:

OmJo,

Yes, they can be. Dubnyk is actually a great example of it. Right now I’m seeing a lot of similarities between Dubnyk (when he was struggling here in Edmonton) and Brossoit’s play. A lot of angling, puck tracking, and positional play (squaring up, push-offs side to side, maximizing distance from the net while minimizing the risk of lateral play) is taught and also based on confidence/mind set.

It is a big reason why goalies are regarded as voodoo. A great goalie can struggle out of nowhere for seemingly no reason at all.

The key, imo, in predicting whether a goalie is merely hot or good (but struggling), is watching the shoulders, hips and skates. If the shoulder/hip rotation or angles are constantly shifting it is a red flag (what you want is consistant, fluid shifts that are close to perpendicular to the play), and certain angles and heel movement of the skates (this is harder because it can be height/weight dependent).

39. Crazy Pedestrian says:

The flyers have a player with the last name “Alt”??
    Huh…

40. striatic says:

texmex:
    What the hell is that PK formation?????

Flyers broadcast team making fun of it. Most passive PK they’ve seen all srason

Clearing the puck is a crutch.

Granted, it did ultimately work out.

41. OmJo says:

Lucinius,

Good stuff, gonna keep an eye on LB and see if I can notice anything like that. You learn something new every day!

Do we have a goalie coach that can turn LB into Dubnyk? I guess we’ll find out while Talbot is out.

42. GMB3 says:

Nuge looks like he is missing a gear. Could be another guy who’s got the flu

43. OmJo says:

I think that’s the first time in my life that I’ve ever seen a WEM commercial.

44. Pouzar says:

Nuge line missing Slepy imo. Cammy not bringing much imo.

Watch him score 2 tonight.

45. OmJo says:

OmJo: Do we have a goalie coach that can turn LB into Dubnyk?

Sportsnet reading my mind. Didn’t know the Oilers goalie coach used to be LB goalie coach with the Oil Kings. That should be good news.

46. OilClog says:

You’re absolutely buried too far in the sheets and simply not letting your eyes enjoy watching the game if you saw anything less then a thoroughbred that just needed to be harnessed in Nurse.

Nurse should of been in the AHL on the first pairing for the last two seasons coming in this year blowing the doors off the hinges, but his physical tools alone made that impossible.. if you over look the lack of NHL defenders on the roster.

You don’t like hockey if you haven’t enjoyed the way Nurse plays prior too this season, rambunctious, doing things no other defender on the team can because of the physical ability thing, brain finally slowing down and catching up to what he wants to do.

We was the #5 defender on a 103pt team in the western conference in which part of the season he’s unable to enjoy an adult beverage at some stops, while playing in a adult league. Pretty darn remarkable.

It sucks what’s going on with Klef, he’s at the point where he needs to be able to accept the more offensive role without falling apart defensively if it’s not clicking. If you’re going to trade him, no one is trading you the player you want him to be to replace him. So you’re not trading him.

Russell contract is stupid, Benning is most likely odd man out because of it. But he’s a Chia man so..

It’s going to be Nuge and Nurse for Gallagher

47. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Wow… refs just…wow

48. OmJo says:

Seriously?

49. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st period*

All Flyers need to do is stay cool in their zone and Oilers will gift them a pretty center ice pass, right on the tape.

50. hunter1909 says:

OilClog: It’s going to be Nuge and Nurse for Gallagher

Trolling…

Love it!

51. OmJo says:

Basically Remenda: Mark Letestu is too smart and it’s hurting his game.

Basically me: Remenda is too stupid and it’s hurting his commentary.

52. Lucinius says:

OmJo,

So far, in this game, from what I’ve seen;

The hips arebeing used properly. The shoulders, especially the right shoulder, seems to be 5-10 degrees off from where it should be, which is shifting his balance and skewing the lateral movement.

Skate-wise it is worse; his left skate work is cringe-worthy; it’s dragging at too steep an angle on lateral and backward motion.This is causing a slight scraping motion further throwing his balance off and causing motion to be skewed, disrupting his efforts to stay fully square to the puck, especially on plays where lateral movement is done at speed. Additionally, the angling he seems to be using on that left skate is prone to causing injuries to the ankle.

53. GMB3 says:

Pouzar:
    Nuge line missing Slepy imo. Cammy not bringing much imo.

Watch him score 2 tonight.

Yeah man he just doesn’t seem to help them enter the zone with possession or maintain it. Maroon can look pretty uninspired when he’s not on the McDavid line

54. Crazy Pedestrian says:

OmJo:
    Basically Remenda: Mark Letestu is too smart and it’s hurting his game.

Basically me: Remenda is too stupid and it’s hurting his commentary.

LMAO!!! 🤣

55. OmJo says:

Nuge still >>> Couturier

56. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st period*

Playing against the Oiler’s penalty-kill like playing with house money

57. AntsOfTheSky says:

Good PK there after a brutal call. Let’s see some momentum from that boys

58. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Hey guys… you do know McDavid is on the ice right? PASS IT TO HIM!!!

59. OmJo says:

Man the PK needs work… Oh wait…

60. Lucinius says:

That penalty (interference) is actually a penalty.

However, it is almost never, ever called, especially like that.

(I seem to be about 3 minutes of game time behind most of you).

61. Crazy Pedestrian says:

WTF OILERS!!! DO YOU EVEN HOCKEY!?!?

62. OmJo says:

That was almost a minute of pure Flyer pressure.

Wake up, please.

63. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Lucinius,

– Hey at least he isn’t giving goals on first shots (with apologies to Georges!)

64. Pouzar says:

Awful period. A better opponent would be up 2-0 by now.

65. hunter1909 says:

Crazy Pedestrian:
    Hey guys… you do know McDavid is on the ice right? PASS IT TO HIM!!!

He’s been a non-factor.

66. OmJo says:

I was an Elliott fan when he was a Senator.

Wanted him to be an Oiler. Never happened.

67. hunter1909 says:

Pouzar:
    Awful period. A better opponent would be up 2-0 by now.

Central Red Army came into Philadelphia and got their asses handed to them

68. hunter1909 says:

Oilers needed McDavid, but came up with Kassian lol

69. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Wow… apparently Oilers can’t do the hockey… even though it’s tied after the first… once again, the oilers were terrible… wonder if tmac will chew them out or at least look at them with disgust… WAKE UP GUYS!

70. hunter1909 says:

McDavid’s being schooled, as usual. Go Flyers

71. Derek says:

That period.

That shit right there is why I’d never bet on this team making the dance this season.

Just completely uninspired, garbage hockey.

72. russ99 says:

Well, at least they didn’t score.

McDavid looked like an emaciated hobo In tthe pregame presser, but has some jump tonight,

73. StixMalone says:

Uneventful period more defence than offence. Lets pick it up
    Boys…

74. hunter1909 says:

Corsi 13-6 good guys.

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st and maybe the 2nd period*

75. Rebilled says:

I’m guessing it goes off the refs skate with a minute left. Either team wins.

76. OmJo says:

Does 92.5 become a different station every month now?

77. OmJo says:

Rebilled:
    I’m guessing it goes off the refs skate with a minute left. Either team wins.

With an obvious kicking motion.

78. russ99 says:

After coming out hot in the first of the Calgary game, this is a step down. Surprised McLellan hasn’t tried the old home game hotel ploy yet.

79. npanciroli says:

Someone will have to murder an Oiler this year for us to get a PP. The linesmen need to drop the damn puck I hate that garbage.

80. Confused says:

Terrible period.

Why are we playing Cammy invisible again!

81. OmJo says:

Legitimately thought Luongo retired.

82. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Ouch… luongo injured again…

83. russ99 says:

I don’t think I’ve seen a goalie so hurt on a shot in a long time.

84. Pouzar says:

Got CHED radio broadcast goin. Refreshing to hear a homer color analyst. Stauffer just given it to the officials for waving out the centermen and lack of PP opportunities all year.

85. striatic says:

Good road period from the Oilers.

86. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Dammit Calgary got to OT… come on Toronto, finish those guys off! we need them to not to get more points

87. jm363561 says:

First game I have been able to watch since the season opener against Calgary. The Oilers look a thoroughly poorly coached and prepared team. Play Off Leon looks like he is planning his retirement. Say what you will about Russell as a player but he is one of the few that seems to be giving it all.

88. Lloyd B. says:

VOR,

Its 830 pm and I’m just catching up on the thread but I reckon this describes Jari Kurri perfectly.

89. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st and considering remaining for the next period*

Always great to see how easy it is for Oiler fans to start complaining.

90. OmJo says:

Mark Spector: I’m a journalist.

Right. And I’m an elephant. Must be fun to get paid to play make believe, hey Spec?

91. russ99 says:

Would think we’d see more energy out there after three days off too.

We finally get an East team after they play Calgary, need to take advantage.

92. Pouzar says:

hunter1909: Always great to see how easy it is for Oiler fans to start complaining.

did you get your phone back?

93. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st and considering remaining for the second period*

I’m concerned that Flyers not scoring in the 1st is going to haunt them.

Even the Oiler’s can’t play this badly for the next period. Not being scored on 1st seems to have been reduced in their internal math tonight; after they weathered that early Flyers storming of Katz’s new California gates.

94. Ice Sage says:

Rope a dope 1st I hope
    Not much penetration – Oil will have to adapt by carrying it in, absorbing some hits and they are going to draw ‘even up’ penalties.
    One silver lining is that the D are now actively finding LB’s rebounds

95. Professor Q says:

The refs were terrible in that period.

But don’t worry. They’re also terrible in the Leafs-Flames game.

Gaudreau hauled down Marner in a surprising situation that was reminiscent and worse than the Kadri-McDavid breakaway arm-grab, and the refs didn’t even call a penalty let alone a penalty shot.

Tried a few whacks on Bozak, yet no call until he once again hauled the player down.

96. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Good job TO… only gave Calgary the loser point..

97. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Lucic not fast…

98. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st+2nd period*

I get it. McDavid+Draisaitl are playing sweeper.

99. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Dammit Maroon! FU refs… start calling stuff against philly dammit!

100. Ice Sage says:

a little late there Patty

101. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st period*

Oiler’s coach McLellan looks like he wants to suit up himself, as soon as he loses a few more pounds of weight.

102. thepeetso says:

why not but 27 back with 93 so that you can have 19 back with 97?

seem like both wingers play better with those Cs.

103. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st period*

Third time should be the charm.

104. treevojo says:

Boom

Leon scored.

106. OmJo says:

Draisaitl!!!

107. Crazy Pedestrian says:

YES!!! Now open those floodgates Drai!!!

108. deardylan says:

Great steal in Toronto
    Now up to Oil!

109. jp says:

That was a hell of a goal!

110. Ice Sage says:

Oh yeah, Connor hooked all the way down, still makes the play.

111. hunter1909 says:

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McDavid + Draisaitl.

112. treevojo says:

Just what the doctor ordered

113. OmJo says:

Score here and we win this game. Calling it now.

114. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Oh man… that was close… Last thing we need is another injured player…

115. russ99 says:

Ow. Hope Leon shakes it off.

116. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st + also the 2nd period*

Come on! Three Flyers tried to mix it up with Lucic and they were all shitting themselves.

117. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Man is our pp slow…

Edit: and shitty

118. OmJo says:

Letestu holding onto the puck too long?

119. russ99 says:

Benning doesn’t have the shot for that.

120. Fgary says:

Dreadful powerplay…yeeesh

121. OmJo says:

I love Nurse’s attitude.

Never shies away from getting in somebodies face.

That’s swagger right there.

122. russ99 says:

Nice save Laurent.

Come on Oilers, getting badly outworked In our zone, especially the forwards.

123. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st + 2nd period*

Nice powerplay guys.

124. Crazy Pedestrian says:

God another penalty against the oilers… what else is new…
    Pkers are gonna need to score more often to make up for their dreadful pp…

125. Crazy Pedestrian says:

hunter1909:
    *bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st + 2nd period*

Nice powerplay guys.

I know right?

126. GMB3 says:

Amyome track the number of successful one times per PP opportunity in the league? Cause Edmonton would have to be near the bottom. That PP was gross

127. hunter1909 says:

*bandwagon flyer fan for the 1st + 2nd period*

Oilers need to thank former Flyer MacT, for giving them access to his 2006 post-Roloson/Conklin team how-to-protect-a-shit-goalie strategy.

128. Ice Sage says:

Oilers trying to improve their PK stats

EDIT – played with fire too long

129. Crazy Pedestrian says:

That’s a pp… now do that oilers!

130. OmJo says:

Why can’t we do that on our PP?

131. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Man… oilers aren’t going to win this game with only 10 shots half way through the game…

132. Crazy Pedestrian says:

OmJo:
    Why can’t we do that on our PP?

….. #becauseoilers

133. OmJo says:

Flyers getting their asses handed to them physically tonight.

134. Rebilled says:

This would be a good game for the blue jerseys.

135. OmJo says:

If TMac telling the team not to take penalties makes them take penalties I think we have a problem here.

136. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

The next defenseman that fails to clear it when they have time and space should be benched.

That PP goal against was a great example of what they’ve done wrong all year.

Overcommitment by two different guys and the seams are wide open.

Exact opposite of the first three kills

That was some nice defensive work by Caggiula on that play.

138. Fgary says:

and that’s it for LB

139. Crazy Pedestrian says:

God dammit gryba…

140. Ice Sage says:

That’s the LB we’ve been waiting for. Ah well

141. hags9k says:

Good grief.

142. LMHF#1 says:

Khaira + Gryba + Brossoit = one horrible GA.

143. Fgary says:

Gyrba also needs some pressbox time.

144. Surrey Oiler says:

Gryba / LB combo = disaster

145. hags9k says:

Didn’t like the play by Khaira either but, oh well.

They need to rally here.

146. Surrey Oiler says:

Fgary:
    Gyrba also needs some pressbox time.

In AHL, he’s simple brutal, not NHL caliber at all

147. Rebilled says:

Gryballs: Twice suspect.

148. OmJo says:

Not gonna blame LB for goal #1. #2… A bit harder not to. Idk.

149. Oil2Oilers says:

Davidson has got to get a start over Gryba soon

150. Surrey Oiler says:

Oil2Oilers:
    Davidson has got to get a start over Gryba soon

Yes please, and we need to an NHL goalie asap

151. Diablo says:

TMac’s lineup deployment is a huge negative – I was willing to overlook this while we were winning, as all coaches have their favourites. But Gryba has been struggling all year, Chia just went and got him a better D, and yet TMac decides to dress Gryba.

152. danny says:

LB was screened there, but he was once again too deep in his crease. He didn’t see the shot because of the screen but he didn’t need to. If he was out further it hits him like it’s supposed to.

153. Surrey Oiler says:

Nuge Maroon Camm line is a total waste. They aren’t doing anything

154. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Ffs… oilers wave the white flag!! Another defenceman injured…

155. Professor Q says:

Surrey Oiler:
    Nuge Maroon Camm line is a total waste. They aren’t doing anything

Seemingly disagree.

156. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Surrey Oiler,

Agreed, very bad game for that trio. Cammalleri is invisible and Nuge looks a step slow

Nurse has to use better judgement on that play. No reason to try the d to d when there are two flyers between you.

Very scrambly game, no flow at all and everyone is blowing the zone.

20 minutes left, lots of time but thy need to sharpen up

157. Ice Sage says:

Diablo:

There’s a lefty-righty thing going on in the decision-making, methinks. Am honestly not sure Davidson is better than Gryba on the right side. We miss Larsson like crazy

158. Android says:

Diablo:

It’s times like this I hope Chiarelli is familiar with the tale of Carlos Pena.

159. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Oilers gonna lose this game… philly is doing a great job of boxing the oilers out… gonna have to load up the top line again to spark this team…

160. Confused says:

Another terrible period.

Cammy completely invisible.

Eric completely useless.

161. gogliano says:

Anybody have a theory why we are so poor at drawing penalties?

70 penalties drawn prior to tonight, next closest is 80. Median is 92.

And another game we’re lagging.

162. OmJo says:

Does the NHL need another team?

Is the NHL going to do with expansion what they’ve done with the winter classic? Lol.

163. Crazy Pedestrian says:

gogliano:
    Anybody have a theory why we are so poor at drawing penalties?

70 penalties drawn prior to tonight, next closest is 80.Median is 92.

McDavid factor???

Kidding aside, it’s definately #becausebettmanhatesthatmcdavidisanoiler

164. Android says:

OmJo,

Especially in the western conference.

165. Oil2Oilers says:

Surrey Oiler: Yes please, and we need to an NHL goalie asap

Agreed, the team has shown no likelihood of run support tonight either.

166. OmJo says:

How are the Golden Knights doing with attendance?

With teams still struggling to make money and remain relevant why would the NHL look to further expansion? Relocation would make more sense, would it not?

167. digger50 says:

Diablo:

Really? Have you been watching Klefbom?

168. Professor Q says:

OmJo:
    Does the NHL need another team?

$600 million expansion fee says…maybe so.

Seattle and Houston expansions, Carolina sale to the Quebecor group? Arizona issues?

169. Minister D- says:

This is brutal. Oilers continue to find old ways to disappoint.

170. Surrey Oiler says:

We are missing too many big pieces just to compete with Flyers. No Sekera, No Larsson, No Talbot, an AHL back up goalie starting, and an defenceman who should also be in AHL equals a 4-1, 5-1 type final. At least what Chia should have done was get a goalie, this is just ridiculous!

171. Oil2Oilers says:

“Body language” fucken hell I need more drink. Why didn’t I change the channel during the intermission.

172. Pouzar says:

Cammy brings nothing to this lineup.

173. OmJo says:

Shocked Spector isn’t throwing LB under the bus rn.

174. Professor Q says:

OmJo:
    How are the Golden Knights doing with attendance?

Relocation would require the agreement of more parties than expansion, and has less fees involved. Likely both will occur but expansion has more benefit by far (to some).

Bettman does seem steadfast on refusing relocation for as long as possible in some areas (Arizona) and even is trying to prevent issues with the sale of Carolina (likely trying to still put in the 2-5 year buffer period post-sale).

175. OmJo says:

Professor Q: $600 million expansion fee says

Forgot about that.

176. jtblack says:

False Narrative: its Ok to let ina bad goal if you play well besides that. Not true. Anytime 1 soft goal is given up a team loses more often than not.

Fingers crossed

177. Professor Q says:

Interesting difference in perspective.

Commentators are saying that Cammalleri is doing well tonight, playing hard and finishing checks and making plays.

Seems interesting to see it, too.

A few posters, on the other hand…

178. OmJo says:

Principe you sly bastard you.

179. Pouzar says:

Professor Q:
    Interesting difference in perspective.

Seems interesting to see it, too.

A fee posters, on the other hand…

Stauffer on Cam: “he is doing nothing tonight”.

180. jtblack says:

TMac cant stick with the 3C program.

181. OmJo says:

Not a big Lucic fan but man is it fun to watch him hit players.

182. LMHF#1 says:

Bench the 4th line. They don’t have it tonight.

183. Professor Q says:

Pouzar: Stauffer on Cam: “he is doing nothing tonight”.

Not on my feed, then. I have no idea who these people are, however. Sportsnet.

184. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Ok tmac… do something miraculous…

185. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

186. OmJo says:

Shit nuggets.

187. Lucinius says:

I think I can hear the fat lady singing.

188. LMHF#1 says:

Why were both Oilers defencemen in the middle of the ice and not covering anyone?

189. Ice Sage says:

Lights out boys.
    It’s gonna be a looooooooong month

190. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Good night all… this game is done

191. Crazy Pedestrian says:

LMHF#1:

Russell tripped over a flyer

192. OmJo says:

Oilers doing LB no favours.

Nor is he.

Ugh.

193. LMHF#1 says:

Professor Q: Not on my feed, then. I have no idea who these people are, however. Sportsnet.

Live perspective – he’s done zip.

But then again, that’s pretty much the story for all.

194. mit167 says:

The bright side is that TMac can get new faces onto the next game because there will be no players to reward for playing a good game

195. OmJo says:

Crazy Pedestrian:
    Ok tmac… do something miraculous…

*Sends out Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl*

196. LMHF#1 says:

So many weak passes into the middle. What a joke.

197. Lucinius says:

Flyers have outplayed the Oilers fairly clearly, by my eye. Oilers definitely don’t deserve to win this one. A lot of Oilers with poor games tonight.

198. Fgary says:

Team just does not have it today…tough game to watch

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »