G28 2017-18: Flyers at Oilers

The Edmonton Oilers are winners of three out of their last four games, are two goals below NHL average (78-80) and 11 goals against below average (80-91) for the season. They have Adam Larsson, Cam Talbot and Andrej Sekera on IR, two new hires in Brandon Davidson and Nathan Walker, and four lines with a story to tell. Philly is in town. Prepare for crazy.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great new offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

LONG DECEMBER, YEAR OVER YEAR

• December 2015: 1-0-0, goal differential 0
  • December 2016: 1-0-0, goal differential +3
  • December 2017: 1-0-0, goal differential +2

G2 December 2015 was a 2-1 win in overtime over Dallas, and it was a 3-2 OT win against Anaheim one year ago. Wins are either vital or unnecessary depending on how far gone you view this season. A win tonight (and losses by Calgary and Anaheim) puts Edmonton two points back of the Ducks and three behind the Flames. It”s there, climbing back into this race, but the injuries are substantial now.

AFTER 28, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 10-15-2, goal differential -15
  • Oilers 16-17: 14-10-3, goal differential +10
  • Oilers 17-18: 11-14-2, goal differential -13

G28 in 2015-16 was a 4-2 win over Buffalo that featured goals from Teddy Purcell and Luke Gazdic. Last year it was a 4-3 OT loss to Buffalo on a Rasmus Ristolainen goal. A win tonight gets Edmonton to within a whisker of point-per-game for the season.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DECEMBER

• On the road to: Calgary (Expected: 0-0-1) (Actual: 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Philadelphia (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual: 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Montreal, Toronto, Columbus (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Nashville (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: San Jose, St. Louis, Montreal (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Winnipeg (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Chicago, Winnipeg (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-6-2, 12 points in 13 games
  • Current results: 1-0-0, two points in one game

PERSONAL OPINION

Once every blue moon I write a personal opinion blog (last year around Christmas) and I thought it would be a good time for another. A month from now, we might be in full draft and deadline sell mode, so this is the last chance for a lot of these discussion points.

• Grab a goalie. I’ve always felt, based on usage, coach Todd McLellan lacked confidence in Laurent Brossoit. If the opportunity arises to procure a veteran who can run with the job this month, make it so. A third-round pick and risk of Brossoit on waivers isn’t enough to stop that train.
  • Sign Patrick Maroon if the money and term are right. If not, trade at the deadline. One of Chiarelli’s best trades, Maroon is on pace for 24 goals, after scoring 27 a year ago. If the club can sign him to something around $4 million a year and for something in the range of three years, then make it so. If not, offload him for the new Maroon, a player in a similar position to the one PM faced in Anaheim deadline 2016. A speed merchant who shoots a lot would be ideal.
  • Keep all the defensemen, once they’re healthy. Edmonton has Adam Larsson and Andrej Sekera on IR currently, with Darnell Nurse, Kris Russell, Oscar Klefbom, Matt Benning, Brandon Davidson, Eric Gryba and Yohann Auvitu holding down the fort. I’d keep eight defensemen when everyone returns. Seriously. The Oilers may end up running Klefbom-Larsson, Nurse-Sekera as top 4D and can rotate the rest.
  • Don’t trade Klefbom or the Nuge, now or in summer. I think this is the big one. The cluster, as I see it, is McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Benning. That’s your no-fly zone right there.
  • Peter Chiarelli should recognize the high-risk trade is not for him. A hold over from a year ago, it still applies.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun return this morning at 10, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. The new arrivals, what to do in goal until Talbot returns.
  • Gerry Moddejonge, Post Media. Eskimos send a mittful to the All-Star team.
  • Corey Pronman, The Athletic. Team Canada’s WJ invite list goes down at 11 this morning, Corey will give his opinions.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Glad to be back on the radio!

509 Responses to "G28 2017-18: Flyers at Oilers"

« Older Comments
  1. Crazy Pedestrian says:

OmJo: *Sends our Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl*

I wonder how drai-mcd-JP would do…

2. OmJo says:

Crazy Pedestrian: I wonder how drai-mcd-JP would do…

I’m intrigued.

3. digger50 says:

LMHF#1:
    Why were both Oilers defencemen in the middle of the ice and not covering anyone?

This

This is the “system”

Psst – it doesn’t work

4. OmJo says:

Stfu Remenda.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Skinner with a 21 save shutout.

6. mit167 says:

I’d change the channel except I’m at the game. At least I have the lowetide sure te to keep me entertained

7. OmJo says:

*pokes Oilers with a stick*

Do something.

8. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Just fast forwarded through the game… What the hell?

9. OmJo says:

mit167,

Too bad Hunter vanished.

10. mit167 says:

50/50 about to be drawn… que the exit

11. BeerMe says:

McDavid needs to stop passing to his choker teammates and just deke around the goalie himself.

12. digger50 says:

OmJo:
    *pokes Oilers with a stick*

Do something.

Good one 😂

13. Crazy Pedestrian says:

mit167:
    I’d change the channel except I’m at the game.At least I have the lowetide sure te to keep me entertained

Yeah… watching the game made me so frustrated !
    I feel much better after switching the game off and turned on Netflix…
    Still following the lowetide though… #becauselowetiderocks

14. LadiesloveSmid says:

Playoff team wins this game. Oilers getting schooled.

Think this is the sinker for me. Trade Maroon and Letestu

15. russ99 says:

Eminem offense.

Round the outside, round the outside.

16. Réal Goudenyéu says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Playoff team wins this game. Oilers getting schooled.

Think this is the sinker for me. Trade Maroon and Letestu

Coach is done too.

17. LMHF#1 says:

Todd’s school of coaching – “Send out the fourth line!!!”

18. danny says:

When you keep looking and looking for the easy wins but can’t find them, you are the easy win.

19. LMHF#1 says:

Todd Nelson for Coach 2018.

20. Crazy Pedestrian says:

russ99:
    Eminem offense.

Round the outside, round the outside.

Nice…

21. OmJo says:

LMHF#1:
    Todd’s school of coaching – “Send our the fourth line!!!”

Almost got a goal there.

Give the skill lines some ice time, since we aren’t getting any PPs.

22. OmJo says:

OmJo: Give the skill lines some ice time, since we aren’t getting any PPs.

Heh.

23. Crazy Pedestrian says:

danny:

At least we can beat Calgary…

24. OmJo says:

Nuge the river pusher?

25. Oil2Oilers says:

Crazy Pedestrian: I wonder how drai-mcd-JP would do…

I would have also picked the other winger to be demoted

26. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Even if they manage to tie it this is not how you should play hockey.

27. OmJo says:

If we don’t score in this PP we lose this game.

Calling it now.

28. LadiesloveSmid says:

Réal Goudenyéu: Coach is done too.

GM is done. I have no real quarrels with McL. Maybe overplaying Caggiula but we don’t know maybe contract conditions

29. Surrey Oiler says:

OmJo:
    If we don’t score in this PP we lose this game.

Calling it now.

Yup, game and likely LB’s career on the line (I hope)

30. OmJo says:

Réal Goudenyéu:
    Even if they manage to tie it this is not how you should play hockey.

At this point, the points are more important than how we get them.

We can learn how to play hockey as the season goes on.

That’s how I see it at least.

31. Oil2Oilers says:

danny:

since 2007™️

32. OmJo says:

PP is ew.

33. russ99 says:

Réal Goudenyéu,

Even the Jacques Lemaire trap teams are more interesting than this.

34. Lucinius says:

OmJo:
    PP is ew.

Has been for a long time now. When our special teams succeeds it largely seems in spite of the system instead of because of the system.

35. GMB3 says:

That is a fucking atrocious pp

36. Surrey Oiler says:

When was the last time Woodcroft drew something up and it worked ?

37. OmJo says:

As much as I want to blame refs for some of these losses, I can’t. Because the PP is so inconsistent it doesn’t matter if they get an extra PP.

It shouldn’t be this way with McDavid and Draisaitl on the team.

38. OmJo says:

I mean I don’t put Lucic out there 6v5. Maybe that’s just me.

39. LMHF#1 says:

Lucic with another horrible effort and game over.

Lucic and Letestu out there – Coaching costing games.

40. russ99 says:

Putrid. What ever the plan is it sure aint working.

41. Crazy Pedestrian says:

OmJo:

It shouldn’t be this way with McDavid and Draisaitl on the team.

Yep… I say screw it, falling for dahlin!

42. Réal Goudenyéu says:

This team has to win 10 straight to even have a shot at the post season.

43. Lucinius says:

Whelp. A well deserved loss.

Last year the team found ways to win games it shouldn’t. This year the team finds ways to lose games it should win (and lose the games it should lose).

44. OmJo says:

LMHF#1:
    Lucic with another horrible effort and game over.

Lucic and Letestu our there – Coaching costing games.

Literally spinning in circles in the corner and then just threw the puck into a crowd infront of the net.

Was funny to watch at least.

45. SK Oiler Fan says:

The wristers from 40 plus feet aren’t getting it done.

46. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

And the Jekyll and Hyde show continues.

Man that was disappointing.

The powerplay is some kind of bad

Easy roster moves though, Gryba out, Davidson in. Cammalleri/Cagguila out and Sleppy/Walker in.

47. LMHF#1 says:

The players may not be bringing amazing efforts – but they are being sabotaged by bad systems and incorrect lineup deployment.

No excuse for this BS.

48. OmJo says:

At least the PK was better.

49. russ99 says:

Montreal – Toronto trip could get ugly.

50. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

LMHF#1,

This exact same lineup put up 7 goals last game with the exact same coaches and lines

Its all about effort

51. jake70 says:

Lucic with a desperation spinorma, like there was only a few seconds left when more time than that … ok but at least put it at the net not 10 feet out front…..

52. LadiesloveSmid says:

I don’t know how Chiarelli’s head isn’t on a platter.

Connor McDavid’s final ELC year will see him finish bottom 6-8

53. Réal Goudenyéu says:

LMHF#1:

No excuse for this BS.

So I guess that tells us something.

54. danny says:

Well Chiarelli didn’t get faceoff and defensive help last trade deadline because he didn’t think the team was ready for rentals…

This season Chiarelli saved a lot of cap space despite holes probably so he can get rentals.

He’s been wrong both times. I’ll never forgive last season. He underestimated his own team that was competing for 1st place, with a Vezina caliber goaltender and a MVP 1C.

Im ok with moving on from him.

55. gogliano says:

OmJo:
    At least the PK was better.

A 75% kill isn’t something to celebrate.

56. GMB3 says:

LMHF#1:

No excuse for this BS.

Ha and part of coaching is finding a way to prepare your team to play. They need a shot in the arm. Fire the coach

57. russ99 says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    The wristers from 40 plus feet aren’t getting it done.

Ringing it around and then throwing it back to the point with the slightest pressure isn’t fooling anyone. Poor excuse for a cycle.

It’s not brain surgery, move the players and puck to get space for a shot in high scoring areas, but we consistently failed at that all year, team seems to be afraid to get the noses dirty, or like the powerplay, predictable, static, easy to defend.

Replace Woodcroft and maybe it changes.

58. LMHF#1 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    LMHF#1,

Its all about effort

One game. And they allowed 5.

This team should be consistently winning with occasional blips based on talent.

The systems are trash.

59. LMHF#1 says:

Réal Goudenyéu: An organization that was serious about winning this year would have fired the coach a month ago.

So I guess that tells us something.

I agree.

Every move since last deadline says they don’t actually care about winning it all.

60. oscarmike says:

Don’t blame LB for the loss. We all know exactly what he would be like.
    Big brain management sat him almost all year last year and trended the same way this year.
    The guy is trying but he just needs more experience.

61. Diablo says:

OmJo: I get they’re hot rn and they’ve looked pretty good in this game too but God damn man, they’re out there too much.

Almost got a goal there.

Give the skill lines some ice time, since we aren’t getting any PPs.

Really getting frustrated with how the coach is deploying the players right now.

Add that to the horrific PP, which the coaching staff can’t fix and continue to use the same flawed lines, the craptastic PK, and abysmal goaltending (why not give Ellis a chance – he couldn’t possibly be worse than LB), and the step back taken by Benning and Klefbom… I’m now on the fire the coaching staff bandwagon.

62. OmJo says:

gogliano: A 75% kill isn’t something to celebrate.

It’s times like this when a #MoralVictory is needed.

PK was visually better. PP was visually worse. Paradox.

63. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

OmJo,

#babysteps?

64. Surrey Oiler says:

russ99:
    Montreal – Toronto trip could get ugly.

It will if a new goalie is not brought in 🙁

65. OmJo says:

Diablo,

Welcome to the dark side.

We have cookies and juice in the back.

Seriously though, lineup decisions are leaving me scratching my head too. It’s almost like TMac makes his lineup decisions out of spite towards those questioning his decisions. But that would be insane.

66. russ99 says:

Diablo: Its mostly Khaira driving that line – before he joined that line, Letestu and Kassian were getting nothing done. Maybe they should move Khaira up the line up … I mean that would be the sensible move … and drop Caggiula to the forth line (or the PB or AHL for that matter).

I think we should keep Todd, structure and discipline are important and he’s succeeded where others have failed miserably.

But Woodcroft either has no new ideas or is convinced that his ideas will work, like Eakins.

Give McLellan some help, a new perspective, different voice in the room, preferably a recent ex-player, someone that gets what works on today’s NHL.

67. danny says:

I’m 41 now. It’s been a long road with my Oilers. I was as diehard as they came as a kid, teen and young adult. Middle years didn’t have much to cheer for.

My fear, and maybe it’s a realization more than fear, is that apathy has set in. The 18 year old me would slap me for saying that. Die hard loyalty knows no bounds.

41 year old me just grows tired of expecting the worst and the only feeling I can count on is frustration.

68. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

One can make the argument that there was a blatant cross-check on Letestu about 6 feet from the referee on that final powerplay that wasn’t called

They definitely gave McDavid a free shot later but two craptacular non-calls don’t make a right call.

Oh well, they probably wouldn’t have scored anyway. Not like it would have been a two man advantage for the final 3 minutes or anything

69. BeerMe says:

If we are blaming reffing for this teams piss poor record we are kidding ourselves. This team is full of passengers and underperformers, is getting shit goaltending, has no confidence or swagger, and is being mismanaged both from the bench and the front office.

70. Surrey Oiler says:

BeerMe:

I could not agree more my friend!

71. JimmyV1965 says:

Awful awful defence. Have no idea how to exit zone with possession. The speed with which we exit our own zone, when we actually do, is frickin glacier like. The opposition has days to set up for the breakout.

And too many passengers out there. Cammi did nothing. I love the Drake’s energy but nothing happens with him on the ice. Strome was actually invisible out there. Did anyone notice him one time? TMac should sit Strome. That would send a message to the GM.

72. JimmyV1965 says:

I’d really like to know what our stats per 60 are for dmen fumbling puck on the ozone blueline and giving up an odd man break. We must lead the league.

73. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

JimmyV1965,

Ya old man Russell has had three screw ups end up in the back of the net the last 3 games.

When your team picks you up after a super ugly break its probably not the best idea to drop the ball in back to back games after that

(Edit: this also applies to the goalie and overall team effort)

74. russ99 says:

JimmyV1965:

And as far as I saw, the forwards aren’t setting up for exit passes (that Nurse to Strome sure was a beaut), the forwards aren’t making plays down low to set up shots and the forwards are the ones winging the puck back to the point instead of dealing with pressure, taking a hit and making a play.

75. who says:

LMHF#1:
    Lucic with another horrible effort and game over.

Lucic and Letestu out there – Coaching costing games.

Actually I thought that was one of Lucics better games. Didn’t care for that desperation no look pass into the slot with an empty net, but other than that I liked his game. And he was a physical force out there. That’s the most big hits I’ve ever seen him throw in a game.
    Too bad the rest of the team didn’t want to get that involved.

76. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

russ99,

Well I think its fair to blame the defense on goals 1 and 3. Benning got chasing on 1 and Russell sent a waist high pass to no-one, two feet inside the oppo blueline, partial blame to Maroon there though I guess.

Second goal is LB but also a weak chip back to Gryba from JK down low didn’t help.

Sloppy defense led to direct goals against. Very sloppy game from everyone prevented a comeback or a an earlier pushback

Familiar theme this year

77. russ99 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    russ99,

Familiar theme this year

78. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

russ99,

I agree, like I noted earlier, the Jekyll and Hyde routine.

None of the hustle, speed or transition of the last two games.

Reversion back to flying the zone, cycling the outside and that powerplay, so much bad.

79. Gret99zky says:

We will be talking NHL entry draft any day now.

How can anyone get excited about the draft knowing how this organization develops its players?

80. Gret99zky says:

danny:

I hear you, bro.

81. Diablo says:

danny:

Amen buddy.

82. Diablo says:

OmJo:
    Diablo,

Welcome to the dark side.

We have cookies and juice in the back.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
    I wish we were meeting under better circumstances.

83. JimmyV1965 says:

russ99: So tired of this always being laid on the feet of the defensemen. I saw Caggiula fail to make a clean exit 4 times, in the first period alone. Zone exit, entry and keeping possession are 5 man jobs.

Yet Nurse can consistently exit the zone with possession. Virtually none of our other dmen can. I’m not giving the forwards a free pass, in fact I mentioned the Drake specifically, but it’s the defence that is killing us.

84. GMB3 says:

You never played hey

85. GMB3 says:

russ99: Bigger issues with offense than defense. We get a two goal lead, and things play out very differently.

How is russell’s egregious turnover a non issue? That’s what happens when third pairing defenceman are playing too much

86. JimmyV1965 says:

If we were better at exiting the dzone it would help our offence tremendously.

87. Thinker says:

Speaking of the dark side… I think Rey is gonna cross and Kylo will come back. Not sure if it happens in 8 though.

88. The Primordial JDi Goo says:

OmJo: We have cookies and juice in the back.

These brown cookies smell funny, and the yellow juice is warm.

89. JimmyV1965 says:

Nurse is the only legit dman playing for the team right now. Russell is serviceable and can definitely play down the pecking order, but three games in a row with 10-bell screw ups. Klef I hope is just taking a step backwards in his development. Benning, Auvito and Gryba will not be in this league two years from now. Injuries to sekera and Larsson have really exposed this group.

90. McSorley33 says:

Gret99zky,

Some people have been talking draft for a few weeks….

At this point, I am more interested in the people that think they see the face of the
    Mona Lisa in this Tire Fire.

We are what our record says we are….

91. LeonorMcdraivid says:

Hello from Germany,
    i wrote a comment round about 2 months ago.
    Im frustrated and have to say, that i Miss a kind of matchplan ( playsystem, which way we want To play?)
    Surely, we can’ t look into the locker room, but where is the confidence of their own game?
    No smile before the game starts, only a seemstobe focus.
    The players lost their fun for the game.

Badly, i already checked in for a 2 week Hockey trip in february,To See the Oilers live…no Playoff run, Globetrotters Hockey maybe…

Come on guys, take a little streak to get the joy for Hockey back.
    I hope, you understand, what i’m trying To say. #becausebrokenenglish

92. OriginalPouzar says:

Damn – that was disappointing.

They needed that game last night.

93. OriginalPouzar says:

Very disappointing game at home against PHI last night.

That’s the type of game they must win if they have any chance of getting back in the playoff race.

I’m still cheering for wins and a big winning streak but can’t imagine it happening and, you know what, I’m at peace with it and I have been for weeks now.

Don’t get me wrong, I care just as much as I always have and am very disappointed in the way the season has gone but I am not letting the team and the results run my emotions. I still watch with exctiment every game but I’m not getting mad, angry, etc. I’m turning 41 in just under two weeks and have realized I don’t have control over the team and the results.

I will continue to look at the positives – I still believe this team has a strong core up the middle plus JP, Klef, Larsson and Nurse. Not being in the playoff hunt this year will allow for a one-year re-tool to help set the franchise up for the future. Instead of trading our top picks/prospects for short term rentals, we will keep our 1st round pick and top prospects, add another decent pick and sell off our UFAs for additional picks/prospects.

We’ll be adding some great skill in Benson and Yamamoto to our pro ranks next year and guys like Samorukov, Maksimov and Safin will be dominating the CHL (all having excellent draft plus 1 seasons this year). Not to mention some solid prospects developing in college (Kemp, Rasanen, Vessel) and overseas (Lagesson, Berglun).

I am still looking forward to the game in MTL on Saturday and will cheering for a win.

94. Evilas says:

The team didn’t want to win this thing, it was pretty evident that the Flyers outworked the Oilers for all but maybe the last 10 minutes. As much as we think we know what they are/should be, it is pretty clear that they just don’t “have it” this season. Terrible goal aside, this team was outshot and out-scored. No matter who they had between the pipes that kind of effort won’t win games in the nhl.

That being said, why not give Ellis a shot next game? Honestly they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Who cares that he has no experience, how is he going to get any if he isn’t given the opportunity. I think his track record has proven he deserves an audition.

To make a positive comment, I have to say I love watching Auvitu. He is my favourite player on the team, he’s the ultimate underdog story and I am cheering like hell for him. With the way he moves up into the play he reminds me a lot of Paul Coffey.

I think he has really improved his Dzone play and he might be the best Dman at moving the puck on this team. I really don’t think he gets enough icetime. If he were 4 or 5 years younger he’d be getting some love around here, but like some are saying, he’ll be out of the league in 2 years. In fact, I bet he’ll be off this roster by the trade deadline. It’s too bad, because he has been consistently one of the top 3 D for the last 2 weeks.

I am off to China this morning and for the first time in 10 years I will not be visiting this site for at least every 3 days. I will “see”” ya’ll in 3 weeks.

Have a safe and very happy holidays everyone!

Peace

95. The Primordial JDi Goo says:

Evilas: Have a safe and very happy holidays everyone!

Watch out for gutter oil over there.

Hmmm… gutter oil… gutter oil…

96. Dustylegnd says:

Yesterdays Team Canada announcement tweaked my interest on who drafted a couple of these player

Winning teams make smart draft picks over and over

Jordon Kyrou 2016 #35 overall by St Louis
    Leads the best Jr League in the World with 54 points will be on the 1st line at the U-20 Worlds

Boris Katchouk 2016 #44 overall by Tampa sits fourth in scoring in the World’s best Jr League named to Team Canada tryout camp

Radish Taylor 2016 #58 overall by Tampa sit 9th in scoring in the World’s best Jr League named to Team Canada tryout camp

Until the oilers can build depth at an AHL level and have an embarrassment of riches like TB, our road remains a long one, yes we are injured but the forwards cupboards are empty at the AHL level….sighhh

97. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

OriginalPouzar,

– I’m on the OP Bus. One more year of accumulating assets (we’ve drafted well), and a re-tool, and we are good to go…

– Philly came in beat us, and played well: hats off to them

– A Habs-Leafs back-back road losses and you really can stick a fork into the season IMO

98. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

OriginalPouzar,

Ya this is pretty close to where I am at as well.

Its super frustrating though, to watch them go through the motions every second game.

Blame the coach sure why not. Blame the GM ya why not.

Leon Draisaitl has 1 more shorthanded point than he does powerplay points 1-0.

They haven’t scored a power-play goal in 8 games.

And I think that’s a fair microcosm of the season. They have all the horses in the world when they are up a man, but once the puck is dropped its like all the “paper” talent, skill and drive goes out the window. No creativity, no urgency and in many cases a serious lack of effort.

I don’t really know who to blame for that to be honest. Coaches share some of it sure, but in the end its the players who play the game, and the overall lack of consistent effort this year is such a disappointment, honestly thought the team had gotten over that hump last year.

99. Dicky94 says:

OriginalPouzar,

We need more players that are willing to drive to the net. Even the big guys seem to want to pass the puck more for a pretty play rather than an ugly goal. I would think Walker and Davidson play next game.

100. Gret99zky says:

This team looks like it’s playing to get the coach fired. There is something rotten.

Also, I strongly disagree with anyone suggesting we keep the same group in place for next season.

It’s clear last season was a fluke. An outlier. This is what they are. Just like in 2015-16.

I would rather a new GM acquires some depth in the lineup and prepares for injuries and illness instead of just hoping to stay healthy.

And get a coach that plays to the team’s strengths. I can’t believe scoring is so low and the PP is so bad.

All this with McDavid on the team. Unbelievable.

101. russ99 says:

GMB3: You never played hey

I did, in high school for two years, defense. People are two busy looking at numbers instead of why the play is breaking down.

Other teams can do these things, why can’t we? If we’re building a team to playa similar style as Philly, Boston, Anaheim, San Jose, LA, why can’t we beat similar systems?

102. OriginalPouzar says:

Evilas:

That being said, why not give Ellis a shot next game?Honestly they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.Who cares that he has no experience, how is he going to get any if he isn’t given the opportunity.I think his track record has proven he deserves an audition.

I am off to China this morning and for the first time in 10 years I will not be visiting this site for at least every 3 days.I will “see”” ya’ll in 3 weeks.

Have a safe and very happy holidays everyone!

Peace

I would think that Brossoit and Ellis split the back to backs on the weekend. I don’t really care which goalie plays which game.

China? Awesome – good for you. Have a great trip.

I’m off to Hong Kong on the 22nd for a a week (8 days).

I will be checking in the site for sure. I’m always up so early, even on vacation, its peaceful to have a pot of coffee and relax online – probably moreso in a tropical destination with the ocean and the patio but Hong Kong will work.

In fact, the timing should be pretty good. Games should be on around 10am – Hit the gym, have some breakfast, watch some hockey and then get out there and enjoy Hong Kong

103. OriginalPouzar says:

Its coming – Benson and Yamamoto next year.

Safin, Maksimov and Samorukov the year after – those are three non-first round picks that are material prospects and all having great draft plus 1 seasons.

104. OriginalPouzar says:

Dicky94:
    OriginalPouzar,

I would think so.

Davidson, Walker, Slep in.

Gryba, Cammy, Drake out

Gryba may have to stay in for leftie/rightie though – we already have Russell playing his off side.

105. OriginalPouzar says:

Gret99zky:
    This team looks like it’s playing to get the coach fired.There is something rotten.

It’s clear last season was a fluke.An outlier. This is what they are.Just like in 2015-16.

And get a coach that plays to the team’s strengths.I can’t believe scoring is so low and the PP is so bad.

All this with McDavid on the team.Unbelievable.

Why is it clear that last season was a fluke? It could just as easily be this season that’s a fluke.

106. OriginalPouzar says:

The one-year re-tool is going to be so good.

Keep our 1st round pick, keep our prospects, sell our UFAs and get more picks/prospects.

Stock those cupboards and keep the core (Drai, McDavid, Nuge, JP, Klef, Larsson, Nurse) and in a few years our prospects (Jones, Bear, Benson, Yamamoto) will start to replace guys like Russell and Sekera and Gryba and guys like Maksimov, Safin, Samorukov will be knocking on the door.

We’ll have a strong lineup and depth.

We may still have some issues on the wing next year as Benson/Yamamoto will need a year but its going to come.

Go Oilers!

107. hunter1909 says:

The really sad part?

People innocently believing that if they throw this season away, that somehow, magically the team is going to be run competently, without such gems as:

4 year NMC contracts being handed to 3rd pairing defencemen,

or 145 pound rookies being gifted 1st line minutes during the crucial 1st 10 games of the season,

or opportunities to pick up Vanek/Marleau level veterans on the relative cheap instead of clearly washed up Cammileries…or struggling ex-Oilers like Davidson…

or ensuring there’s a professional level backup goalie…instead of hoping some scared kid without the balls to step up under pressure(pllllease…many of us who post on this board understand what real pressure is)…

or overpaying players who don’t deserve to be paid more than they’re worth(cue 25 million over 5 years Maroon contract approaching)…

That kind of stuff.

It’s really a shame, because I can see the Oilers still have the makings of a very good hockey team.

108. OriginalPouzar says:

On the other hand, one might consider it sad always expecting the negative move to be made – begrudging moves of the past that haven’t worked out and extrapolating future moves based on the past.

One could choose and, yes, it is a choice, to have a positive outlook – look at the core that is signed long term and look at the potential to really stock the prospect pool and not deplete it by being sellers at the deadline.

I see a possible hole in our prospect pipeline as far as NHL readiness next year but, after next year, I see the potential to have a steady stream of both forwards and d-men being NHL ready and competing for roster spots year after year.

One could have the attitude that last year was a fluke, whereas another may have the attitude that this year is the fluke.

109. Gret99zky says:

OriginalPouzar: Why is it clear that last season was a fluke?It could just as easily be this season that’s a fluke.

Because all the other seasons (especially 2015-16) look like this season. Last season stands alone in comparison to 11 seasons.

« Older Comments