The elephant in the room, the thing we’re going to discuss for the rest of this winter, is the following: Secretly, in our heart of hearts, we honestly thought Connor McDavid could pull any dead horse across the line. The shame of it? Management appears to have thought the same. In August, I run the RE series by player and overall, giving a line in the sand, an estimate for success. This season has been a frustrating journey, but it’s just one-third of the way to completion. One hopes for a better second leg.
- RE 17-18 GF-GA estimate through 28 games: 88-74 (+14)
- Actual 17-18 GF-GA through 28 games: 80-95 (-15)
Edmonton is down by eight goals for and by 21 goals against, my estimates off by an incredible 29 goals. There are hits, there are misses, and there’s whatever the hell this is.
Great new offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.
- New Lowetide: The Price You Pay
- New Pierre Lebrun: Next stop: Seattle!
- New Lowetide: Oilers at the World Juniors
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 1 Prospect Winter 2017: Kailer Yamamoto
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 2 Prospect Winter 2017: Jesse Puljujarvi
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 3 Prospect Winter 2017: Ethan Bear
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 4 Prospect Winter 2017: Caleb Jones
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 5 Prospect Winter 2017: Tyler Benson
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 6 Prospect Winter 2017: Kirill Maksimov
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 7 Prospect Winter 2017: Ostap Safin
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 8 Prospect Winter 2017: Filip Berglund
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 9 Prospect Winter 2017: Jujhar Khaira
- Lowetide: Oilers No. 10 Prospect Winter 2017: Nick Ellis
- Lowetide: Oilers No 11-20 Prospects Winter 2017
- Lowetide: Just win, baby. Or else!
- Lowetide: Moonstruck
- Lowetide: Fresh Farm Produce
RE FORWARDS 17-18 (SO FAR)
- The top line is off the mark by a large margin (97 and 29) but I’d suggest much of that has to do with illness and injury. Part of the gap is surely via the power play. Maroon is right on time.
- Milan Lucic and the Nuge are ahead of their RE, Puljujarvi only slightly behind. Encouraging signs and possibly a positive amongst much that is negative in a season outside the playoffs.
- The Ryan Strome line is off by three or four goals, although Drake Caggiula is ahead of the curve a little courtesy quality time with McDavid. He has benefited from Strome’s struggles in a feature role.
- The Mark Letestu line gives us the two most pleasant surprises among forwards, Letestu himself and young Jujhar Khaira. Kassian mostly covers his bet.
RE DEFENSE 17-18 (SO FAR)
- Oscar Klefbom is way off the path I suggested he would be on, injuries are the culprit here and one doubts many will kick up a fuss about that assessment. Adam Larsson is within the range.
- Darnell Nurse is ahead of the projection and it should be mentioned those numbers are hard earned on the 5×5. Kris Russell is the single biggest offensive surprise this season. That won’t go well but my projections weren’t deliberately shy. Matt Benning is off the pace a little, I surrounded Eric Gryba (not difficult) and Yohann Auvitu (slightly more difficult).
RE GOALIES 17-18 (SO FAR)
- Cam Talbot’s early season performance is the single biggest drag on the roster, Laurent Brossoit ranks No. 3 behind Talbot and Oscar Klefbom in the category.
- Penalty kill is part of this debacle for sure and that’s a shared enemy with skaters. This isn’t good.
- Nick Ellis probably gets a start on the weekend.
- Miles to go.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A busy morning as we finish the week, beginning at 10 on TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:
- Steve Lansky, BigMouth Sports. Is the Oilers season over? What went wrong?
- Paul Sir, The Basketball Show. NCAA season well underway, 76ers making moves.
- Joey Alfieri, TSN 690. The Montreal Canadiens are a different team with Carey Price in goal.
- Paul Almeida, SSE. Who pays for this miserable season?
10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!