Heaven and Hell in the NHL

If you’re angry at the Edmonton Oilers because of their weekend performances, I can’t help you. The club was quality both nights, couldn’t cash last evening and there’s plenty of positive to discuss. If you’re mad the Oilers are farther back this morning than they were Friday, I hear you. I get it. That said, if this is the Oilers team we’ll be watching the rest of the winter, I’ll need to modify my stance on playoffs. They play like that for 52 more games? Playoffs! Seriously.

You never know about a waiver claim, but we were all pretty sure about Brandon Davidson. He’s a good NHL defenseman, can win battles, move the puck, slow down the play, get position on a fast break defensively. I don’t know what happened in Montreal, it really doesn’t matter. He can play defense in an Oilers uniform, I’ll stand by that statement.

THE ATHLETIC

Great new offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

LONG DECEMBER, YEAR OVER YEAR

• December 2015: 4-0-0, goal differential +4
  • December 2016: 2-0-2, goal differential +2
  • December 2017: 2-2-0, goal differential +3

That was a bitter pill last night, Edmonton came away with two points from a weekend where surely four were earned. Helluva effort last night, I was impressed. Full stop.

• Todd McLellan: “We were very competitive and we strung two good games together. Unfortunately we didn’t get the result, but I can’t complain about the effort.”

AFTER 30, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 13-15-2, goal differential -10
  • Oilers 16-17: 14-12-4, goal differential +8
  • Oilers 17-18: 12-16-2, goal differential -12

The 12 wins were mostly good efforts, I recall opening night, a strong game against Chicago and a night against the Devils where these men all pulled together. This weekend, they did it twice. A good sign.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DECEMBER

• On the road to: Calgary (Expected: 0-0-1) (Actual: 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Philadelphia (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual: 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Montreal, Toronto, Columbus (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • At home to: Nashville (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: San Jose, St. Louis, Montreal (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Winnipeg (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Chicago, Winnipeg (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-6-2, 12 points in 13 games
  • Current results: 2-2-0, four points in four games

The Oilers have Columbus and Nashville this week, I have those as losses and the Wild as a win. I’m encouraged by the effort but the schedule is a bear.

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Nurse-Russell were 23-9, 0-1 GF, 16-2 SCF and 5-1 in HDSC’s. Sometimes life isn’t fair. Russell had a fantastic chance, shot it a mile wide. Nurse had the puck wide and drove to the net. Didn’t score but he did something with it, good arrow. Went 10-1 against JVR-Bozak-Marner. Nurse is very good in year five after his draft, a reminder about patience (especially with blue).
  • Davidson-Auvitu were 12-8 with some good defense and puck moving. Auvitu had a nice chance late, Leafs defender got a stick on it. Damn he’s got some jam. Davidson has calm feet, I cannot think of one reason to pull him out of the lineup. Went 4-3 against Brown-Nylander-Hyman.
  • Klefbom-Benning went 16-11 and 8-4 in HDSC’s. Love the both men can wheel and Oscar had maybe the best chances among defensemen to score. Benning is a fine passer, he can get beaten in puck battles. Went 11-4 against Komarov-Kadri-Marleau. Oscar made some good decisions with the puck.
  • Laurent Brossoit stopped 22 of 23, .957.
  • Natural Stat Trick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi did everything but score. 97 was absolute fire, especially in the third period. The line had seven HDSC’s, were 4-1 as a line, and 22-8 Corsi as a trio. Went 22-7 against the Kadri line, an absolute shame this group couldn’t cash. I liked all three men, McDavid was beyond music.
  • Khaira-Draisaitl-Strome went 16-6 together, 2-0 in HDSC’s. I think this line passed the Nuge trio based on the visual, went 15-8 against the Nylander line. Leon crushed his power-play shot (post), damn thing should have gone in. I think Draisaitl may end up getting Maroon soon, Khaira looked a little less comfortable than he did previously.
  • Maroon-Nuge-Cammalleri went 13-8, 1-3 HDSC’s. I thought they all had good moments but were the least effective of the three big lines. Went 12-6 against the Bozak line. Nuge could have had two or three assists on the night.
  • Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian went 5-8, 3-6 in SC’s but nothing in high danger areas. Went 6-8 against Martin-Moore-Leivo.

When the team you cheer for does addled things, it hurts like hell. Trading Erik Karlsson is maybe the dumbest idea in the history of Ottawa, and that’s saying something.

In the article for The Athletic yesterday, I argued that the idea management made the Eberle deal, signed Russell and stood pat is incorrect and improperly identifies the sins of summer. It wasn’t lazy, rather it was ballsy-to-reckless in planning on so many unproven wingers and counting on Gryba/Auvitu to replace Sekera.

I do believe Peter Chiarelli has calmed the defensive waters (I am a big believer in Brandon Davidson) but even last night showed this team badly needs a veteran winger who can snipe. Very risky decision by management in McDavid’s final entry-level season. I wish that was the adopted verbal, but “lazy” and “dumb” are easier to push as a sin. Opportunity missed, in my opinion.

Lots of chatter about players Chiarelli may have been watching, I think it might have been an old fashioned amateur scouting trip. I bet they like Ryan McLeod quite a bit.

• Dan Stewart, Dir. of Scouting for Future Considerations: “This strong skating center could be even faster skater than his fleet-footed brother, New Jersey first rounder Michael McLeod. Ryan has quick feet with the hands and head to match. He displays creative vision and puck distribution skills to go along with a strong shot and impressive hockey IQ. Not many holes in his highly effective two-way game but in my opinion his NHL offensive upside is the only question. Still some very strong second line center potential is where I project his pro upside.” Source

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning, I’m on the roundtable with Dustin and the boys at 9. By 10, I’ll be fully conscious! Scheduled to appear beginning at 10 on TSN1260:

• Pierre Lebrun, TSN & The Athletic. The Oilers appear to have found a strong formula, is it too late?
  • Andy McNamara, TSN4Downs. Eagles win division, the quarterback is toast. Le sigh.
  • Jason Gregor, TSN1260. Oilers showed well this weekend, can they get back in this thing?
  • MLB guest TBA.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

113 Responses to "Heaven and Hell in the NHL"

1. JD_Sigh says:

Sing me a song

You’re a singer…

2. 36 percent body fat says:

why is Chia scouting someone ranked in the 25 range? They are picking top 10

3. frjohnk says:

“I’ll need to modify my stance on playoffs. They play like that for 52 more games? Playoffs! Seriously.”

Looking at last year, we went 33-15-4 in our last 52 games, which of course included that 14-2-0 run at the end of the season. If we did that, we would end up with 96 points, which would probably be enough to grab 8th spot in the West.

EDIT: That would be a 110 point pace.

4. leadfarmer says:

We’re looking at a forward whose biggest question is his offensive upside? Are we getting trolled again?

5. Pink Socks says:

If this play continues, I think LT is on the money. Sure we’ll stink the joint out a few times, but no reason this team can’t reel off 5-7 in a row if they continue this play, regardless of opponent. They made a flawed Habs team look ridiculous in their own building, and the Leafs (108pt pace at the moment and #5 in NHL), were dominated. It’s a tough December schedule, but I’ll remain confident that we are watching a playoff team come April.

6. GCW_69 says:

I appreciate the hard work the team put in over the weekend, and I live what Davy brings to the back end of the defence.

But I don’t know how you watch Sunday’s game and not be frustrated by the lack of scorers on the team.

If you look at the forwards with a shoot first mentally in the top nine, you will find who? Maroon, yes. JP? Slepy when he plays. Thats not a reliable stable of shooters.

McDavid, Leon, Lucic, Nuge, Strome, are all passers first. They need some trigger men to compliment them. KY may be one in the future, but this team needs 2 or 3 reliable shooters now.

That they don’t have them drives me crazy, especially after games like yesterday.

7. Dicky94 says:

GCW_69,

They definitely need someone who will shoot the puck. That five on three pp last night was a joke. Five guys passing the puck around and no one in front of the net. If they can get the pp going they willl make the playoffs but right now it’s costing them games.

8. JD_Sigh says:

36 percent body fat: why is Chia scouting someone ranked in the 25 range? They are picking top 10

1st round picks exchanged in the Doughty trade.

9. Woodguy v2.0 says:

36 percent body fat:
    why is Chia scouting someone ranked in the 25 range?They are picking top 10

Shero should be open to it. He’s thin on quality D and getting pretty deep up front. Greene is getting old as well.

Peter will have 3 top 4 LHD when everyone is healthy.

That’s a last week of June trade.

I can see Klef + EDM’s 2nd for Michael McLeod + NJD’s 1st or something like that.

I can also see Bob McKenzie tweeting out “the trade is one for one”

10. dcsj says:

Watched most of the game while at work yesterday. Very entertaining, lots of hard luck on our side. Was it four or five posts? And Draisatl’s shot off the crossbar, off the goalie, and out? Nine times out of ten (maybe 99/100?) that goes in. I agree, keep up this effort, they can turn it around, if they play like this in Columbus, they win. And I’m loving watching Davy again. Sure like that kid.

11. VOR says:

Thinking About the Draft – Part 1

I am going to start off with a quiz.

Can you spot the Hall of Famer?

Like our kind host I don’t make a final decision on a prospect until 5 years post draft.

Here then is data on four players all drafted in the same year. Player A was drafted 1OV, Player 2 was 4th, Player 3 was 15th, and Player 4 was drafted 40th.

This is what happened over the following five years. Can you figure out who ended up in the Hall of Fame? The data is league, games, and boxcars.

Player 1 a center

Player 4 a D

WCHA 43 6 43 49
    WCHA 45 6 32 48
    NHL 12 0 2 2
    NHL 74 9 55 64
    NHL 41 8 26 34

So can you pick out the Hall of Famer?

Of course you can. They are all in the Hall of Fame.

They are Dale Hawerchuk, Ron Francis, Al MacInnis, and Chris Chelios.

Now try ranking them from 1 to 4. Please post your list here. I am pretty sure there will be strong opinions. There is likely not to be any consensus. Now add a fifth name, another Hall of Famer from the same draft – Grant Fuhr. Where does he fit?

If more than a decade after their retirement we can’t figure out how to redraft players we are hooped.

We want to look for patterns in optimized drafts and do statistical analysis of that data set. But we can’t figure out how to produce a widely accepted optimal draft.

Any suggestions?

12. JimmyV1965 says:

I’m not worried about the 5×5 offence. If you play like that the goals will come. I’m way more concerned about the defence. They played well last night, but Benning, Auvito and Gryba are not NHL players. Things will be better when Sek and Larsson return, but you need real depth. Hopefully Davie helps with that. I certainly wouldn’t be trading Klef or anyone else in the top four.

13. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: What if Shero is open to trading Micheal McLeod for a LHD and Peter was there scouting Micheal and not Ryan?

Shero should be open to it.He’s thin on quality D and getting pretty deep up front.Greene is getting old as well.

Peter will have 3 top 4 LHD when everyone is healthy.

That’s a last week of June trade.

I can also see Bob McKenzie tweeting out “the trade is one for one”

It will be Klefbom for Zacha.

Edit: Or Chia goes back to that woodshed.

Klefbom for Dal Colle.

14. bendelson says:

I hear bells ringing in the distance this morning…
    Did Platzer score a goal? Perhaps Chase (remember him)?
    No, I’m afraid it’s the passing bell ringing at Churchill Square.
    It could be worse, folks – at least it’s not the death knell.
    That does comes next, however… prepare yourselves accordingly!

15. Kaptain Vikarious says:

Do me a wrong

You’re a bringer of evil…

16. Pouzar says:

We all see the game differently. I think Benning is slow as cold molasses running up a hill.

17. trencan says:

36 percent body fat:
    why is Chia scouting someone ranked in the 25 range?They are picking top 10

I identified offensive RHD and goalscorer as the needs of Oilers on the draft this year. This draft is mostly about ineteresting defenders, but you can also find some goalscorers. In top 10 you can find: RHD – Boqvist, Merkeley,Wilde, goalscorers – Svechnikov, Zadina (left handed Pastrnak), Wahlstrom. And of course Dahlin is special player #1 on this draft and it looks like some teams are very interestid in him (FALLIN 4 DAHLIN). But you can also find very inetersting prospects outside top 10 (if we trade Maroon for 1st round pick) – D- Woo, Dobson, Addisson, goalscorers – Farabee, Grolx, Zavgorodny… Best centers in my opinion – Kotkaniemi and Veleno (hope the trade from worst team will help him).

18. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: I can also see Bob McKenzie tweeting out “the trade is one for one”

LOL…ugh this is not funny.

19. JimmyV1965 says:

Pouzar:

And I think he leads the league in passes to opposition players.

20. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

VOR,
    Like baseball: peak value vs longevity.
    Hawerchuk highest peak value, Francis vs MacInnis is a closer call, then comes Chelios.
    Longevity value: use something like WAR. Just hanging on while being a negative player on a team does not get you points. So just playing for 20 years is not enough if you are a hindrance for 5 of those years.
    Adjust production for era where necessary. But in this case since the era is mostly the same, although Chelios arguably spanned 2 eras, it is less relevant.

Highest wins above replacement total for career at least lets you account for total career contribution. And you also look at highest peak WAR seasons.

That way you probably get a good basis for a redraft ranking.

NFL footballAaside:

Why do NFL coaches not teach their prize quarterbacks to slide and avoid hits at all costs, like they do in New England and Seattle. Brady always gets down early. Russell Wilson always gets down early.

No bloody effing way Wentz should be trying for a touchdown there unless it is in the Conference Championship or the Superbowl. The quarterback should always live to fight another day. NFL quarterbacks cannot survive getting hit running the football.

Deshaun Watson was just bad practice luck. Wentz getting hurt is such a tragedy. Both were the most exciting players to come into the NFL in a long time. Wentz is such a baller. The coach didn’t protect him from himself.

22. bendelson says:

Pouzar:

JimmyV1965: And I think he leads the league in passes to opposition players.

And I think he is a serviceable young defenceman.

23. McSorley33 says:

godot10,

NFL footballAaside:

******************************************************************************************
    Rodgers, Watson and now Wentz …tough year for starting QBs.

Watson getting hurt means the Texans are falling to the bottom of the league. The Browns are going to be drafting 1st overall and maybe 7th or 10th overall. ( rough range )

At some point, the Browns will be good right?

24. Pescador says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Klefbom & Hall for McLeod & Larsson,
    Ouch

25. dustrock says:

Hard to fault the team when they dominate like that. Where was that effort the rest of the year.

Think it’s time to try Puljujarvi rather than Letestu on the PP.

HFB was melting down last night. I was shocked people were mad at the team, McLellan, Brossoit.

I mean, they doubled them in shots and lost 1-0. Those are the games you lose no matter what.

The old saw about the 1/4 of the games you’ll win no matter what, 1/4 you lose no matter what, and what you do with the 1/2 games that are up for grabs is a problem this season.

26. Pouzar says:

bendelson:
    And I think he is a serviceable young defenceman.

For the record, I didn’t say he wasn’t. Not as high on him as some but I think he is fine bottom pairing d-man.

27. fifthcartel says:

One of the biggest problems is the Oilers can’t trade with Peter Chiarelli. Only other teams get that luxury.

28. Pouzar says:

McSorley33:
    godot10,

NFL footballAaside:

Rodgers, Watson and now Wentz …tough year for starting QBs.

Watson getting hurt means the Texans are falling to the bottom of the league.The Browns are going to be drafting 1st overall and maybe 7th or 10th overall. ( rough range )

At some point, the Browns will be good right?

ACLs are voodoo.

29. slopitch says:

Reading between the tea leaves, I’m pretty sure LT is suggesting a mulligan on the subban trade.

Nuge, Klefbom, 2018 1st for Karlsson

I kid. I missed the game yesterday but caught some of it on the radio. Staufer early called the stymied by goalie jinx and double reversed it. Blame Staufer!

30. Pescador says:

frjohnk: It will be Klefbom for Zacha.

Edit: Or Chia goes back to that woodshed.

Klefbom for Dal Colle.

He goes in to that woodshed with a suit on,
    but comes out wearing track pants & a windbreaker.
    Klefbom needs to learn how to shoot right,
    Adam Oates-go

31. Confused says:

dustrock,

I think people were angry at the pp. The 5 on 3 was terrible, no movement.

In general, people cannot understand how a team with so much high-end talent can have such a bad pp.

Hence, they reach the conclusion, it must be bad coaching.

32. danny says:

Once again they come out flat and a horrible start.
    I think shots were 10-3 halfway through the 1st period.

TMc addressed the team not responding until they’ve been beaten up already in the media this week, and it happens yet again.

A lot of positives from last night, but this flat first period syndrome needs to be fixed as bad as the penalty kill.

33. digger50 says:

Enjoyable game, but it is still okay as a fan to look for areas of improvement.

And identifying the weakness and finding the solution are too different things.

“The PP is weak” – easy to deduce. However “fire the coach” may be completely wrong solution.

And it seems just human nature to talk about the holes rather than the good. JP emerging is awesome, agreed? Not much to talk about.

Back up goalie, lots of discussion. My opinion on goalie? He’s just good enough to keep a toehold in the NHL.hes high risk to play. If the games are dominated by Oilers like last two, then he’s adequate. A different team or different game, he has no chance.

The solution though? Make do, ride it out till Cam is back? Make an immediate(forced) trade for whoever is available? Run Talbot 90% and jump on a short term goalie when opportunity presents.

34. JimmyV1965 says:

bendelson:
    And I think he is a serviceable young defenceman.

35. LMHF#1 says:

Confused:
    dustrock,

Hence, they reach the conclusion, it must be bad coaching.

36. RexLibris says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Chances that maybe he’s scouting Ryan McLeod because he’s got an offer for Maroon in exchange for a 1st rounder?

37. who says:

JimmyV1965: I think he played fine last night. But there have been games where he is comically bad, like the Habs game. I get that he’s young and I’m an Oilers fan so I hope he gets better. He should never be on the PP ahead of Nurse. Maybe he figures it out on the third pair, but I can’t envision him ever being better than Davie.

I agree.
    This summer everyone had him pencilled in as first man up in the top four based on the fact that he shot right and his fancy stats from last year.
    What they failed to take into account was actual physical skills. When you account for these Nurse is easily the more substantial prospect and Benning most likely ends up as a third pairing guy similar to Davidson.
    People have been making the same mistake with JP over the last year.
    Our host has rated Yamamoto a better prospect based on boxcars and projecting future offense from them.. This may have some historical validity but after watching both players this year I know which one I would prefer.
    Others have suggested we trade JP while he still has some value or have lamented the fact we didn’t select Matthew Thathuck. Again I would suggest these people watch these players closely for a few months. The difference in physical tools is obvious, and actually quite stunning, if one chooses to see.
    If that draft were held tomorrow, based on what I know now, I would still select JP. And if Columbus would have taken him I would still take Sergachev or Dubois before Thachuk.
    Skating matters.

38. OilClog says:

LMHF#1: Watching 97, 29 and 77 wheel around while 55 and 27 negated the whole thing by standing still was maddening.

Last night was as clear as cling wrap that this Powerplay has absolutely zero end game, just like every rush up the ice. Only time there’s any fear for the opposition is Mcdavid, and it’s turned into no fear if he happens to have a winger with him as you know it’s a pass only rush now.

39. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

VOR,

This is an interesting post: I mean what exactly are you trying to determine when ranking them from 1-4 (or 5). Dale Hawerchuk, Ron Francis, Al MacInnis, and Chris Chelios

1) Hawerchuk at his best was more talented than Francis (but he retired earlier. Peak Hawerchuk was on team-Canada for instance). He never won a cup though

2) Francis has some silly streak of 50 point seasons, was an awesome teamate, and was just a scoring machine for a long time

3) Chelios: his longevity was incredible, was on the Canada Cup, was the best D in the league Norris Trophy 3 times. Neve won a cup: but what a long career

4) Peak MacInnis was incredible, was more gifted offensively than Chelios.

– So I honestly don’t know the best way to answer this: clearly Chelios was a steal in the 2nd round. Chelios played longer than MacInnis, as did Francis vs. Hawerchuk.

– Grant Fuhr: he was the best goalie in Hockey for many seasons.

– With hindsight, I can see the argument for Francis over Hawerchuk, and Chelios over MacInnis, but mostly based on length.

– It wasn’t a miss by any of those teams. And Fuhr: as much as I love the Oil, and Grant Fuhr, my gut says that Fuhr wasn’t a Cary Price, or a Hasek: i.e. those guys alone just won games and series for their teams. Fuhr was aweseome on awesome teams, then Randford was awesome.

– Anyway long-winded: what would you say VOR?

So best at peak:

1) Hawerchuk
    2) MacInnis
    3) Chelios
    4) Francis

– I doubt any of those teams trades them for Fuhr straight up, so I put Fuhr last

But career:

1) Chelios
    2) Francis
    3) Hawerchuk
    4) MacInnis

– What would your conclusion be?

40. hunter1909 says:

I’m on the fence. I suppose in honour of VOR I’m going to keep trying to stick to my guns and say they’re going to turn this season around yet.

Machiavelli wrote that armies can succeed with great generals leading relatively poor quality armies, and great armies can win with relatively poor quality generals, so TMac’s perceived weaknesses in line matching etc may not apply quite so much as the baying of the hounds suggests.

If they’re playing well, then they’re improving and the last time I looked Oilers captain is rated in the top 2. I wouldn’t be surprised if 3X cup winner/Olympic hero Crosby still rates higher for this season, but that’s fine.

41. Ralph_u says:

Trade Leon and Adam Larson for Karlson and Brassard.

42. jake70 says:

OilClog: As maddening as watching Mcdavid decide to pass on every open look? Put the puck on the goalie and let the unmoving Lucic bang away.. instead this team just plays duck duck goose.

I agree with this.

43. pts2pndr says:

After hearing anumber of posters being very down on the coaching staff re the power play and the penalty kill I have to wonder if the problem is twofold. The powerplay has been overcoached to the point creactivity has been killed, hence the standing around and failure to attack the net. The penalty kill seems to lack confidence at times which can also come from over coaching, and lack of success. I am also of the opinion that the penalty kill and power play sorely miss Sekera! I also am still positive re the team and squeaking into the playoffs Go Oilers

44. ashley says:

I think the problem with this line of thinking is assuming that these opportunities are as available as milk is in the supermarket. It’s not just a matter of going down there and picking some up. From insider talk, it sounds like Chia is always on the phone and looking for deals. Deals just aren’t there to be had unless he is going to start pulling Mike Milbury moves. Surely we are not hoping for that?

If he wanted some comic relief, he would log on to the internet and read some of the trade proposals all of us amateur GM’s throw out. We are “prying” this from over there and “flipping” one guy for another while hoping for some other guy to “shake loose” from that cap team.

You do what you can with what opportunities are available while also working under the oppression of the cap. I would bet that reasonable opportunities to improve this roster are few and far between. Especially mid-season.

The Drai contract, Lucic contract and coming Nurse payday hamstrings him even further. If we only think about this season and next, we will be shedding players worse than CHI in their heyday.

Reports have Samorukov joining Russia for WJ, but not Maksimov. Huh.

46. thehop says:

Ralph_u:
    Trade Leon and Adam Larson for Karlson and Brassard.

Stop.

Any trade between the Oilers and the Sens involves Hoffman.
    Karlsson is a Sens for life, if that org knows what’s good for them.

47. Side says:

thehop: Stop.

Any trade between the Oilers and the Sens involves Hoffman.
    Karlsson is a Sens for life, if that org knows what’s good for them.

I’m very interested to see what happens with Karlsson after his comments and how badly the comments seemed to piss off management and the owner.

48. Thinker says:

Godot,
    With the exception of a diving on a fumble in the last minute of the superbowl when you are down. Goddam Cam Newton cost me $50.

49. jzed says:

Boys have largely figured it out(agreed to play the way the team is built) so we can start to play more in the opponents end than ours. Check. PK? Work in progress. PP!?!!! Very descriptive peepee the bed wise. Good teams fans think” 5 on 3 for 2 minutes! Score quick and you’ll still have lots of time to go ahead” We think, “don’t give up a shorty” I expect the peepee not to score when it’s important. All this with a generational Art Ross winner watching the season’s prospects disappear in a swirl of yellow water. FCS, fix it NOW!!!!!!!

50. hunter1909 says:

VOR: Player 3 a D
    NHL 2 00 0
    OHL 59 25 50 75
    NHL 14 1 3 4
    OHL 51 38 46 84
    CHL 19 5 14 19
    NHL 67 15 52 66
    NHL 77 11 57 68
    NHL 51 11 34 45

THIS is how you develop a player.

“Oh, he won’t learn anything in junior” is the 100% stupidest and worst argument possible for rushing teenagers into professional sports.

51. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: It will be Klefbom for Zacha

Zacha is the polar opposite of a “Chiarelli player”

52. Thinker says:

Woodguy v2.0: Zacha is the polar opposite of a “Chiarelli player”

His 1/3ppg reads a lot like a Chiarelli player.

53. jtblack says:

Woodguy v2.0,

WOuld you trade 1 of the 3 LHD (Sek, Klef, Nurse).

If so, which one?

54. Woodguy v2.0 says:

RexLibris:
    Woodguy v2.0,

If he can move Maroon for a first then that’s pretty sweet.

Deep draft.

Not 2015 deep, but a good one.

55. Woodguy v2.0 says:

jtblack:
    Woodguy v2.0,

WOuld you trade 1 of the 3 LHD (Sek, Klef, Nurse).

If so, which one?

There are 4 LHD including Russell.

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!!!

Also,

It really depends on what I could get for each of them.

I want to move Russell to free up cap space for other positions, esp. wing.

I’d move any of them if the return was right.

You can get the most for Klefbom so that plays into it.

56. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: If he can move Maroon for a first then that’s pretty sweet.

Deep draft.

Not 2015 deep, but a good one.

If Maroon gets you a 1st you drive him to the airport.
    Or pay for his Uber…y’all got Uber out there?

57. Woodguy v2.0 says:

ashley,

We all asked for this in the summer, when players move more freely and Peter said he was “done” with big holes on the roster.

It is much tougher to trade in-season and the fact that he’s working the phones now and not in the summer when the holes were apparent is a big part of the issue.

58. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar: If Maroon gets you a 1st you drive him to airport.
    Or pay for his Uber…y’all got Uber out there?

Yessir

59. bendelson says:

RexLibris,

Woodguy v2.0,

Would you prefer a late 1st Rd pick in this year’s draft over a player drafted recently (and performing well) such as a Jordan Kyrou? Perhaps less time required to develop said player over a 2018 draft pick?

60. theDjdj says:

I’d love to see Chiarelli pull off Leon for Karlsson. If not just to see all of Chia’s most vehement detractors heads explode.

61. frjohnk says:

Teams don’t give away 1st round picks for rentals like they used to.
    Maroon most likely returns us a 2nd. Maybe a team will pay a conditional 1st like Patrick Eaves return was like last year.

62. frjohnk says:

theDjdj:
    I’d love to see Chiarelli pull of Leon for Karlsson. If not just to see all of Chia’s most vehement detractors heads explode.

Knowing Chia he will trade Leon for William, not Erik.

63. GMB3 says:

Could you imagine trading Karlsson after trading for Duchene who is set to become a UFA as well. Talk about incompetence.

64. GMB3 says:

I was really impressed with the team last night. Early days still, but Davidson looks to be a big add to bring stability to the third pair. He’s positionally sound, and a stable, safe defenseman. He’s the right kind of player to be played with Auvitu.

I actually really like Auvitu. He may be an adventure in his own end, but he has a unique skill set.

JP was impressive. He’s showing flashes of a bonafide skilled top 6 winger. He’s going to be a load when he’s in his early 20’s. I can’t wait until he learns how to put himself in better shooting opportunities.

65. Silver Streak says:

Hey LT, did I miss something …..I think you mentioned late last week a follow up on the NCAA guys and our Euro weekend production…..what happened on those rinks ? ….thanks.

66. who says:

Woodguy v2.0: There are 4 LHD including Russell.

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!!!

Also,

It really depends on what I could get for each of them.

I want to move Russell to free up cap space for other positions, esp. wing.

I’d move any of them if the return was right.

You can get the most for Klefbom so that plays into it.

Interesting question.
    Right now only two are tradeable, Nurse and Klefbom. Sekera and Russell have modified NMC’s that kick in during the summer of 2019.
    Obviously Nurse and Klefbom are the two you don’t want to trade because of age, upside and, in the case of Klefbom, contract status. That’s why I have suggested going with the status quo until you can move one or both of Sekera and Russell.
    However, it is true that Klefbom has huge trade value because of his upside and contract value. For instance, if Ottawa were to trade Karlson he would be a piece that would interest their cheap owner.
    The only way I’m trading Klefbom is if I am getting a stud dman back, which would be a risky move based on the Oilers cap situation. Or if the Oilers happen to win the lottery and you know that this Dahlin kid is going to be here and performing at Klefbom levels in two years. If that is the case you have Sekera and Russell to bridge the gap until the young dman is ready to contribute.
    In short, I would want to make sure that I would be getting a similar, or higher talent, dman back somehow, at some point.

67. Hockey Project says:

Davidson’s CF%? Top ten among defensemen.
    Scoring Chance%? 3rd.
    High Danger%? Same territory.

I guess anybody can cherry pick numbers, but how on earth was he available for free?

68. Klima's_Bucket says:

Pouzar: If Maroon gets you a 1st you drive him to the airport.

”I’M NOT DRIVING HIM TO THE AIRPORT”

69. McSorley33 says:

GMB3,

***************************************************************************
    Agreed.

If Auvitu would adapt/ pick up the Dzone coverage it is a very nice pairing.

The main “problem” with #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach is that he is incredibly slow in figuring out how to deploy his roster optimally, and as a corollary, is slow at figuring out who the players who should be playijng.

i.e. Both Khaira and Yamamoto have good camps. (Honestly, I wasn’t very impressed with Yamamoto’s camp and continuously argued that he should be sent down). Khaira almost immediately gets pressboxed after the start of the season. Yamamoto get gifted top six minutes for 10 games. Puljujarvi is banished to the minors. And well Slephyshev is still benched in favor of Caggiula, Walker and Cammilari. He has used over a third of the season to figure out who should be playing.

i.e. We are paying for Pouliot to play in Buffalo. At least he drew nearly as many penalties as he took and could kill penalties, unless the guys McLellan chose to keep (Lucic, Maroon, and Kassian). And well Eberle is in Brooklyn.

i.e. It took over a quarter of the season to get Draisaitl to centre.

i.e. The continued inability to put the right people on the powerplay. Or to fix the PK.

It may not matter in the short term, but it will make it incredibly hard for Chiarelli to put together and evaluate a roster, And one knows McLellan will be always to slow to make adjustments in a critical future playoff series.

71. ashley says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    ashley,

That’s fair enough, though I might also wish I didn’t bet $1000 on my blackjack hand* after the dealer turns up an ace and I’m looking at 15. Chia gambled on some kids and it didn’t work out so far.

Had I bet my $1000 and instead the dealer showed 6 and I was dealt blackjack, I could go from idiot to genius without having done anything different on my end.

Hindsight is easier.

* I just learned how to play blackjack this past weekend, so it is top of mind.

72. Thinker says:

It’s hard to guess what deal are and aren’t available when Petry is worth a 3rd and Curtis Lazar is worth a 2nd.

73. Confused says:

I see undrafted Artyom Minulin no the Russian junior list.

Anyone seen him play? Should the Oilers be taking a flyer on him for the ECHL? He is potentially free.

74. Scungilli Slushy says:

I’ve been playing with Capfriendly and it is possible to fit Karlsson under the cap at 10M and stilll have players left. I should say good players. His contract kicks in when NMCs lift for Sekera and Russell, they would have to be moved. I’d do it.

75. Rebilled says:

5 times they rang it off the iron in a 1-0 game.

Because Oilers vs Leafs.

76. Evilas says:

Reading comments in Beijing, getting set to go South by train. Sounds like a great game, other than the beginning part, which is all too familiar. I would have dressed Ellis, otherwise how in the hell do you ever find out what he is. I believe he could be another Talbot, his story is very similiar. If I were in charge of this org at this point I’d be playing more of my youngsters to see what they can do.

As much as we all have hope of a return to post-season action, this is clearly (or in hockey speak, obviously) a lost season,. Since there is nothing left to lose, let the horse run. Give some of the vets who have been consistently inconsistent (13, 19, 44, 55, 4) some.PB time and see what you have. Call up Lallegia and Rattie and give them some at bats.

Really there is nothing left to lose and everything to gain at this point. It’s been discussed to death, but we know how stubborn coaches are and I believe TMac has been his own worst enemy quite often this year. He does have the horses, but he is apparently not a horse whisperer.

77. Evilas says:

Further to my last, he should have JP in place of 55 on PP1, put 16 in place of 19 on PP2, OV2 should also be on PP2 and give Fattie and Sleppy some at bats on the PP, as well ( Sleppy on the Left Point and Fattie on the Left side boards.

78. JimmyV1965 says:

Hockey Project:
    Davidson’s CF%? Top ten among defensemen.
    Scoring Chance%? 3rd.
    High Danger%? Same territory.

And why did Buffalo pass on him? Head scratching.

79. Lloyd B. says:

ashley: That’s fair enough, though I might also wish I didn’t bet $1000 on my blackjack hand* after the dealer turns up an ace and I’m looking at 15.Chia gambled on some kids and it didn’t work out so far.

Hindsight is easier.

* I just learned how to play blackjack this past weekend, so it is top of mind.

Blackjack is a great game and is my game of choice.

I believe it is the only game that actually has odds in the players favor in the casinos. Math guys please correct if this is not so.

Of course, you have to be really, really good to make money.

At the risk of being called an ass two nights in a row, I would offer that you were introduced to blackjack this weekend. Learning how to play takes a long time.

And…you will pay for your lessons. 🙂 Buy the books. It’s cheaper than learning at the tables.

Damn, now I’m in the mood to play. That is usually an expensive thing.

80. Munny says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: Chelios: his longevity was incredible, was on the Canada Cup, was the best D in the league Norris Trophy 3 times. Neve won a cup: but what a long career

81. The Hermit says:

JimmyV1965: And why did Buffalo pass on him? Head scratching.

Buffalo is in full tank mode.

Looks like them and Arizona playing for the Toilet Bowl.

82. Pescador says:

Thinker:

It’s easy Lazar was a 1st rounder, Petry a second. Why do you think GMs make so much money?
    They remember important stuff like this.

83. Pescador says:

The Hermit,

Ari 31st, Buff 30th, Ott 29, Oil 28th,
    Toilet is still up for grabs

84. The Trade Guy says:

the oilers are 13 points behind a literal expansion team. That is hell.

85. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Munny: Someone should probably tell him to stop sporting those three Cup rings then. I think I’ll let you take care of that bit.

HaHa! What’s this fact checking business! I should have done more Due-Dilly Munny!

– Cups are over rated in terms of evaluating a player anyways. MacT and Lowe are perfect examples, without Cups (they were the Jar Jar and Russel’s, not the Drai’s and Sekera’s: heart guys who got the most out of their abilities by working really hard, and liked by the team), they are players who had good careers, and were solid teamates, and took advantage of playing on some of the greatest teams assembled: good on them. The Cups made them big-time.

86. thehop says:

Yes please.

You’ve read my mind and I thank you for writing this article. I would move heaven and earth to get this guy in an Oilers uniform.

Thank you LT!

87. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

thehop:

– If you get Hoffman, then RNH is gone… Not saying that’s wrong, but it is what it is: he’s 4 years older, and $2.2MM cheaper.

– Rasmus in Buffalo intrigues me more: RHD: Buffalo needs to retool: would Klef + a RHD prospect get you there?: They say they are taking calls on everyone non-Jack division…

Sek-Larsson
    Nurse- Risto
    Russel-Benning
    Davidson

88. deardylan says:

“If you’re driving through hell, for McDavid’s sake, accelerate.”

89. Johnny skid says:

i always look forward to reading originalpouzar comments. its a bummer there aren’t any!

90. flyfish1168 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – If you get Hoffman, then RNH is gone…Not saying that’s wrong, but it is what it is: he’s 4 years older, and $2.2MM cheaper.

– Rasmus in Buffalo intrigues me more: RHD: Buffalo needs to retool: would Klef + a RHD prospect get you there?:They say they are taking calls on everyone non-Jack division…

Sek-Larsson
    Nurse- Risto
    Russel-Benning
    Davidson

91. v4ance says:

So remembering Woodguy and Gmoney’s work on identifying goalie targets from 2015, they picked Talbot as a goalie trending towards being a top or mid-tier goalie after a 1000 shot sample.

How’s Broissoit doing?

From hockeydb.com:

4 seasons, 565 saves on 630 shots for a 0.897 save % which is trending towards AHL/NHL tweener.

To get back to 0.910 save % at 1000 shots, Broissoit needs to be at about a 0.932 save % for the next 370 shots. Not looking good.

92. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

flyfish1168: I like Rasmus but I believe he is not as good as Klef at this point. If we are trading Klef for him no way am I giving any other assets. The cap hit is 1.3 difference. Now If they are willing to take Sekera I would maybe think of adding something. CAP space is too important from now on in. JMHO

– That’s because your a homer! Rasmus is getting close to beast mode. They are both “stuggling” a bit this year, but his higher salary is an issue, but he’s paid more because he’s better IMO, and he scores more and is more physical

93. Thinker says:

The Trade Guy:
    the oilers are 13 points behind a literal expansion team. That is hell.

At least 4 points back of every team in the West excluding Arizona, and Colorado has a game in hand.

94. Lloyd B. says:

deardylan:
    “If you’re driving through hell, for McDavid’s sake, accelerate.”

Perhaps this ????

95. deardylan says:

Lloyd B.: Perhaps this ????

LLOYD B.

Thanks for the song hookup. 🙂

Its the first time I heard it…like the driving beat and many of the lyrics especially this one,

“Your might get out before the devil even knows you are there”

Put that SONG to Connor McDavid Speed Video and you are driving faster than the devil!

96. JD_Sigh says:

deardylan:
    “If you’re driving through hell, for McDavid’s sake, accelerate.”

And if you’re driving through Baykersfeeyald, run 20 red lights.

97. Thinker says:

I feel like we are driving through the woods…

98. Android says:

Hockey Project:
    Davidson’s CF%? Top ten among defensemen.
    Scoring Chance%? 3rd.
    High Danger%? Same territory.

I believe the answer to that question is Marc “Subban for Weber” Bergevin.

99. Android says:

The Hermit: Buffalo is in full tank mode.

Looks like them and Arizona playing for the Toilet Bowl.

So if tradition holds, we slug it out as best we can, miss the playoffs, win the lottery, and the whole of Toronto sports media collapses in on itself like the Georgia Dome only wishes it could.

100. deardylan says:

JD_Sigh: And if you’re driving through Baykersfeeyald, run 20 red lights.

Its gotta be tough to be a GM driving through Hell, isn’t it. At least PC doesn’t have to manage Brexit.

“Why was Theresa May sacked as nativity manager?
    She couldn’t run a stable government.”

If PC did, run UK, I wonder which country or territory would he consider trading away… Northern Ireland, Wales, Gibraltar, Scotland or British Virgin Islands for _____?

Which country/territory would he get in return?

101. JD_Sigh says:

deardylan: Which country/territory would he get in return?

Easy peasy – BVI to Denmark for Greenland. Trade is a one for one.

102. flyfish1168 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – That’s because your a homer!Rasmus is getting close to beast mode.They are both “stuggling” a bit this year, but his higher salary is an issue, but he’s paid more because he’s better IMO, and he scores more and is more physical

IF you watch any Sabre games you will see Rasmus doesn’t have a good outlet pass or tight elusive skating ability. Not saying he isn’t going to be a very good player. But at this time he is not a bargain and with the way he has struggled much worst than Oscar this year not a chance. CAP space is to important of an asset not be cognizant of if you are making a deal beyond this year.

103. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Bruce McCurdy: If you read this, just wanted to say your 10 game synopsis was fantastic

– I liked how you put together the information, with comments. That the “median” is .56 points per game is a real eye opener…

– You know, learning to win is going to be a thing for these guys: the win-lose thingy they are on now, once they can break out of that, they should be good to go, and I’m with Vor on that!

– I think they are a combo of cocky because they know they are good, and tight because they know they aren’t playing well, and are learning to play hard all the time, which will be good

104. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

flyfish1168: IF you watch any Sabre games you will see Rasmus doesn’t have a good outlet pass or tight elusive skating ability. Not saying he isn’t going to be a very good player. But at this time he is not a bargain and with the way he has struggledmuch worst than Oscar this year not a chance. CAP space is to important of an asset not be cognizantof if you are making a deal beyond this year.

– I agree with the cap. If you do a Hoffman and trade RNH, there is the salary for it though

– Anyway, another RHD legit top-4 would help us big time IMO. By all accounts, Rasmus is playing top minutes for Sabres. I see his highlights, living here in Toronto, so get Buffalo sports:

105. Psyche says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

I would love to have Rasmus Ristolainen on my team. But, reality is the Sabres aren’t trading him. His coach is Phil Housley, one of the best D-men in his era. Housley loves him and plays him crazy minutes (over 30 min in one game according to that article). Ristolainen ain’t going anywhere.

106. Psyche says:

When everyone is healthy I think Chia/McLellan will run:

Nurse – Larsson*
    Sekera – Russell
    Klefbom – Benning*
    7th/8th: Davidson – Auvitu
    Extra: Gryba*

Gryba likely gets moved, if there’s value somewhere for him in the league.
    I’m not sure they make a trade from the D tree now. Value on Sekera and Klefbom would be low due to injuries. They have a nice cushion with Davidson and some offence with Auvitu.

Russell is the ideal player to move based on contract, which actually reduces his trade value. As we know management, coaching staff and the MSM love him to death. It won’t happen this year or next.

107. Pouzar says:

A lot of people say they want Ristolainen. Why?
    What numbers are they using to back this up?

EDIT: This is a not so subliminal message to WG…don’t tell him.

108. who says:

Psyche:
    When everyone is healthy I think Chia/McLellan will run:

Nurse – Larsson*
    Sekera – Russell
    Klefbom – Benning*
    7th/8th: Davidson – Auvitu
    Extra: Gryba*

Gryba likely gets moved, if there’s value somewhere for him in the league.

Would have to see more of Davidson to make this decision but right now he would slot in above Benning to my eye.
    Also wonder about Bennings trade value. Earlier this year there were reports about teams asking about him. I know he shoots right but if this is his peak it would be something to consider.
    Unfortunately any potential trading partners have probably witnessed the same level of play that we have this year.

109. flyfish1168 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – I agree with the cap.If you do a Hoffman and trade RNH, there is the salary for it though

– Anyway, another RHD legit top-4 would help us big time IMO.By all accounts, Rasmus is playing top minutes for Sabres.I see his highlights, living here in Toronto, so get Buffalo sports:

At the 2013 draft, I felt we should have taken Rasmus over Darnell. I still believe Rasmus will have a better point total than Darnell over the course of his career. Darnell is just starting his beast mode. Darnell will excel in the form of a deterrent in front of our net and scrums. He is built for playoff hockey when the ref lets things go. That meaness in him will be released.

110. Justthestatsman says:

JD_Sigh: Easy peasy – BVI to Denmark for Greenland. Trade is a one for one.

PC at the news conference – “While the Virgin Islands have been an important part of the Empire for many years, we felt that with Greenland we’re getting land mass and other intangibles you just can’t put a price on”

111. Pouzar says:

who: he would slot in above Benning to my eye.

My JDeye agrees.

112. flyfish1168 says:

2013 draft has Seth Jones going 4th, Darnell at 7th and Rasmus at 8th. Both Seth and Rasmus CAP hit is 5.4 till 2021/22 season. That will probably be close to the starting point for negotiations for Darnell.