G33 2017-18: Oilers at Wild

Saturdays. We had our chores (bringing in coal—don’t let anyone tell you it’s clean and beautiful; milking and feeding the goats, shoveling the driveway) but most of the day belonged to us. My solution to getting things done was starting early, up well before dawn. If my brother got up too, we could start to work, if not, I’d play hockey in the driveway. I knew the lines and pairings back and forth for the entire league back then, especially for the Boston Bruins:

• Wayne Cashman—Phil Esposito—Ken Hodge
  • Johnny Bucyk—Fred Stanfield—Johnny McKenzie
  • Mike Walton—Derek Sanderson—Eddie Westfall
  • Extra F: Garnet Bailey, Don Marcotte
  • Bobby  Orr—Dallas Smith
  • Carol Vadnais—Ted Green
  • Don Awrey, Matt Ravlich
  • Gerry Cheevers (Eddie Johnston)

There was a trade in there (Rick Smith, Reggie Leach out, Carol Vadnais in) but you could find pairings and details in the next week’s The Hockey News or maybe the Bruins played that Saturday night. Teams ran three lines, two pairings, plus two extra forwards and a fifth defenseman back then. I didn’t play road hockey at the family home in 1985, but have a fairly good memory (aided by Bruce McCurdy) of that team. The 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers were an All-Star cast:

• Mike Krushelnyski—Wayne Gretzky—Jari Kurri
  • Mark Napier—Mark Messier—Glenn Anderson
  • Dave Hunter—Kevin McLelland—Pat Hughes
  • Dave Semenko—Billy Carroll—Willy Lindstrom (et cetera)
  • Paul Coffey—Charlie Huddy
  • Kevin Lowe—Lee Fogolin
  • Don Jackson—Randy Gregg
  • Grant Fuhr (Andy Moog)

That’s a monster team, I won’t see another like that one in this town during my lifetime. The weird thing? I’m not sure it’s the best Oilers team ever. Seriously. I have to tell you the 1987 team might have been better. Incredibly. The NHL has named the 1984-85 Oilers the best team ever, and I’ve come to accept it. Esa Tikkanen played a little in the playoffs, Napier was a favorite, Pouzar too. Strangest thing of all? I’m pretty sure the best Bruins team ever was 1970-71, that team didn’t make the Finals. Blasted Habs.

There are so many games I can watch every night now that none of them have the importance of that single Saturday night game of my youth. Somewhere back there, in a moment when Bobby Orr was in full flight and the Toronto Maple Leafs were backing up in a quick hurry, the magic of this beautiful game found me and has never let me go.  It’s time to do the chores, but we’ll all get back together in time for puck drop. Bring the cards, bring the booze, bring the laughter. It’s Saturday night, hockey night, in Canada.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great new offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

LONG DECEMBER, YEAR OVER YEAR

• December 2015: 6-0-0, goal differential +7
  • December 2016: 2-1-3, goal differential +1
  • December 2017: 3-3-0, goal differential +4

The Oilers in December this year are running well enough to contend (32 points would put Edmonton five points out), but there’s a little matter of that slow start to overcome. G7 in 2015 fall was a 4-2 loss to the NYR and last season it was 3-2 win over Winnipeg courtesy Mark Letestu.

AFTER 33, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 14-16-2, goal differential -11
  • Oilers 16-17: 15-12-5, goal differential +7
  • Oilers 17-18: 13-17-2, goal differential -11

If ever there was a team in need of a winning streak, this is it. The Oilers need to get on a roll, to get back to fake .500 as soon as possible. 2015 G33 was a 4-0 loss to Teravainen and the Chicago Blackhawks, last year saw Edmonton win 3-2 against Tampa Bay in a shootout. A win this afternoon finally allows the team to arrive at 30 points on the season.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DECEMBER

• On the road to: Calgary (Expected: 0-0-1) (Actual: 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Philadelphia (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual: 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Montreal, Toronto, Columbus (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 2-1-0)
  • At home to: Nashville (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: San Jose, St. Louis, Montreal (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Winnipeg (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Chicago, Winnipeg (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-6-2, 12 points in 13 games
  • Current results: 3-3-0, six points in six games

I have today’s game as a win, you can see just how much work there is to do in the coming days. You could get outrageous odds on Edmonton running the table for the rest of the month (7-0-0) and I wouldn’t bet on it. That’s the kind of run that would be required in order to get this team back into the race.

CAM TALBOT

The Oilers are heading into Minneapolis for a day game, I have about 30 scripts from past collisions and they all read the same. Cam Talbot will need to be Bernie Parent today and that’s a fact. At least Lemaire isn’t there and the Wild have opened up their game a little.

EUGENE MELNYK

???

MIKE HOFFMAN

I wrote about Mike Hoffman as a trade target for the Oilers over at The Athletic on December 12. Elliotte Friedman wondered aloud about the idea (Hoffman to Edmonton) later in the week and it’s something to ponder. Hoffman playing wing on 97’s line would by dynamite. Cost? I’ll say Oscar Klefbom.

Edmonton’s future on right-wing will be at the World Juniors, led by Kailer Yamamoto. He was an impact player at the summer series and should play a key role this Christmas for Team USA.

ETHAN BEAR

The Condors got some good news this week with the return of Ethan Bear to practice. In the early days of the season, he was the most impressive blue among the rookies (Bear, Caleb Jones, Ryan Mantha, Ziyat Paigin). Since Bear (8gp, 2-3-5 +4) went down with injury, the other three men performed thusly:

• Caleb Jones 15gp, 1-4-5 -9 (8gp, 0-2-2 -8 with Bear in lineup)
  • Ryan Mantha 13gp, 1-2-3 +3 (8gp, 0-3-3 -5 with Bear in lineup)
  • Ziyat Paigin 3gp, 0-0-0 -1 (4gp, 0-0-0 -1 with Bear in lineup)

The Condors play in San Jose tonight.

271 Responses to "G33 2017-18: Oilers at Wild"

Newer Comments »
  1. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Yessir.

Current WC standings using points percentage. Expressed as “games over .500”
    NSH 13
    CGY 3
    ANA 3
    COL 1
    VAN 1
    EDM -4
    ARI -15

SJS is in 3rd place in the Pacific. EDM is 11 “games behind”

CHI has the last wildcard spot. EDM is 9 “games behind”

2 weeks ago EDM was 8 out of 3rd and 7 out of the last wildcard spot.

Man.

It’s a really thin bet that they make it, but if they want to the streak must start now.

Now.

Also,

Don’t bet on VGK falling off the map.

In the last 3 weeks they have a score adjusted CF% of 49% (15th over that time) and Fleury is back.

From Sean Tierney: “ Vgk’s GF% and xGF% are basically even. What we’ve seen from them is neither under- nor over-performance. It’s real.”
    Linky: https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/942044962794942466

CGY is 1st in the NHL over the last 3 weeks in score adjust CF% of 54.8. If anyone is going to catch VGK it will be CGY.

I don’t think LAK or SJS slip at all.

Wildcard or bust.

Also,

Doobie is out, but that doesn’t matter. Stalock has been just as good.

Spurgeon is out and that matters a ton. He’s been MIN’s best player by many metrics this year.

Remember when MIN signed Scandella long term for $4MM thinking he was the driver on the Spurgeon-Scandella pair and some of us know nothing basement dwellers were screaming for EDM to pick Spurgeon up when the rumour was he was available?

Good times.

GOILERS!!!

*clap,clap*

2. Ben says:

Man I love Woodguy posts.

The Hoffman idea is fine, but flipping a marvellously cost-controlled top-3 D for him is the wrong move. Send them Nurse.

3. treevojo says:

McMagic is in the air.

The streak starts today.

Bet big on angry McDavid.

4. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Yeah thought things would be dicey before Sekera got back but never expected us to be this bad. I’m glad Chia didnt mortgage the future to try and get out of this mess. Things havent looked very good in a while. The Mcdavid and Draisatl overpayments did push our window back a few years until those contracts become more palatable. We’re going to need a steady stream of cheap players.

What are the odds we’re on Hoffmans no trade list. I like the player and he does have a good contract but that is a trade I would not do

5. treevojo says:

Ben:
    Send them Nurse.

Gross.

Have you watched the games this year?

6. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0,

A relatively healthy team with a good PK formation ( which in turn would probably be the biggest help for the goaltending) and I think this team could go on a 42 points run in a 31 game stretch. That is around the deadline. That would give us 70 points in 62 games. Last year we had 74 points in 62 games.

7. Ben says:

treevojo,

Yes, I have watched “the games” this year. All the games. This year.

Nurse is a strong, emerging D (without a contract and playing in a position of relative strength for the team), which is what it would likely take to get a perfect-fit, cost-controlled 1st line winger to play with McDavid.

Have you, like, watched stuff?

8. Brantford Boy says:

Many are expecting big changes in Ottawa, players, owners, city etc. Just maybe if they are serious about signing Karlsson long term they will consider offloading Hoffman for salary implications (ie. Picks/Prospects)… like an Eberle casualty.

Welcome back Talbot… we certainly missed you… now let’s get back to last year’s save percentage… you too Drai, get those feet moving… we need this one… Go Oilers!

9. treevojo says:

Ben:
    treevojo,

Yes, I have watched “the games” this year. All the games. This year.

Have you, like, watched stuff?

Watched every game as well.

Nurse has been the most consistent player on the team and best defender all year.

He is team controlled for another 5 years I believe.

I don’t trade nurse, larsson or Klefbomb for Hoffman.

This team doesn’t need anymore high cost wingers.

They need their current dmen to be healthy and there goalies to stop pucks.

They don’t need to trade their best dman for at least the next five years.

10. treevojo says:

Ben:
    treevojo,

a perfect-fit, cost-controlled 1st line winger to play with McDavid.

On paper Eberle was supposed to be gold on Mcdavids wing.

On paper Hall was supposed to be gold on Mcdavids wing.

On paper Kessel was supposed to be gold on Crosbys wing.

I’m not trading a stud dman for a possible match for McDavid when McDavid has the ability to turn a Maroon into a 30 goal man.

11. Ben says:

treevojo,

Fine, but when they give Nurse the Sekera contract, you’ll be overloaded on LD (back to the noxious Russell signing).

Most of us would gladly have back one of the $6M forwards that were sent out over the past two summers. This team badly lacks skill on the wings (whether that’s McDavid’s wing or not), Nurse is the best solution to help redress the balance lost in the Hall deal.

12. treevojo says:

Ben:
    treevojo,

Yes, I have watched “the games” this year.

Sorry

That was not necessary.

Just get a little bit touchy when it comes to trading my favourite player.

Years of build up listening to his name thrown around when he was in early development and now that he is starting to realize some of his potential I thought it might stop the “trade Nurse” talk.

13. treevojo says:

Ben:
    treevojo,

I guess it comes down to how you would like to construct a roster.

I am big on defence and centres and I like what we have currently got.

14. flyfish1168 says:

Sam Gagner GP33 G4 A8 Tp 12 +/- -16

Zack Kassian Gp32 G3 A7 TP 10 +/- +4

Good thing we didn’t sign him just because he had a good year with CBJ. Poor Sammie -16. May set a new career high the way he is going.

15. Munny says:

Joansin’ for some Chachi…

#freechachi
    #teamalwayswrong

16. stush18 says:

treevojo: I guess it comes down to how you would like to construct a roster.

I am big on defence and centres and I like what we havecurrently got.

Ya I’m happy with how things are constructed right now.

I have been, and will continue to believe, that this team is in a string of awful luck, with the small caveat that the PP and PK need a drastic overhaul.

I’m fairly confident this is one of the best 5v5 teams in the league, especially when sekera returns.

I also said in the summer, chiarellis plan was to hope that this team could stay afloat until sekera returned. They really haven’t, but I’m going to put that on bad luck, not the moves.

The ANA ducks have withstood even worse injuries to their team this year, and they’ve handled it much better.

It’s special teams. Which might improve a bit when sekera returns. But we still need an overhaul on our special teams

17. Munny says:

Ben: Most of us

While I understand your personal view, don’t ascribe it to “most of us”, please and thanks.

18. Pouzar says:

treevojo,

Your #1 d-man for a winger.
    Sounds sound.

19. flyfish1168 says:

treevojo: The problem with this line of thinking is just because something might look good on paper doesn’t mean it works out like that in actuality.

On paper Eberle was supposed to be gold on Mcdavids wing.

On paper Hall was supposed to be gold on Mcdavids wing.

On paper Kessel was supposed to be gold on Crosbys wing.

I agree with you. Klef maybe having a slightly down year, but next year and beyond he may climb up into the top 5 Dman territory. Who is to say Hoffman can recover his previous form.

20. Pouzar says:

Munny:
    Joansin’ for some Chachi…

#freechachi
    #teamalwayswrong

21. Ben says:

Munny,

Pretty sure I could get to 51% on a “take-back” poll of both the Hall and Eberle deals on this here blog, but fine: “many of us” if it makes you feel better 😉

22. stush18 says:

Ben,

I wouldn’t on either, for the record.

23. JimmyV1965 says:

On paper Eberle was supposed to be gold on Mcdavids wing.

On paper Hall was supposed to be gold on Mcdavids wing.

On paper Kessel was supposed to be gold on Crosbys wing.

24. JimmyV1965 says:

stush18:
    Ben,

I wouldn’t on either, for the record.

Agreed.

25. Ben says:

stush18,

Fair enough. Out of curiosity, which particular merits of the Eberle for Strome deal are pleasing to you?

26. Munny says:

Ben:
    Munny,

27. Gret99zky says:

Reminder:

Pray for wins. Don’t pray for a high lottery winning %. Losing leads to a losing culture.

Losing culture can last for a decade.

Go Oilers!

28. treevojo says:

JimmyV1965: In fairness, when Hall and McDavjd played together at the World’s they were dynamite together. And they probably had more ice time together at that tournament than they did in reg season play.

That doesn’t mean that they will jive for a full season.

To me they are both puck transporters.

Their lines play better when they are the ones carrying the puck.

Not enough puck for the two of them.

29. Ben says:

Munny,

9/10 people think you’re being kind of a sanctimonious nit-pick. 🙂

30. Surrey Oiler says:

Pouzar:
    treevojo,

Your #1 d-man for a winger.
    Sounds sound.

Been there, done that, and no thanks!

31. geowal says:

I knew this was a day-game, but noon? Jebus, time to get going on the day.

32. Munny says:

Ben:
    Munny,

9/10 people think you’re being kind of a sanctimonious nit-pick.

So the depth of your argument is, “I think 51 percent agree with me” and then when that fails… resort to insult. Which by the way, have no place here.

33. thehop says:

***It’s time to do the chores, but we’ll all get back together in time for puck drop. Bring the cards, bring the booze, bring the laughter. It’s Saturday night, hockey night, in Canada.***

It’s little nuggets of gold like this that keep me coming back here. I love it!!!!

I’m feeling a statement game tonight. Talbot is back. Hoping for a little spark tonight that becomes a raging inferno that burns the Oilers a path to the playoffs.

Then again I thought they were going to come back in the third against Nashville so I could be wrong.

Also…any suggestion of trading Nurse is a bad idea. You don’t trade a guy that is going to become 75% of Pronger down the road. I think he’s going to be as good just to clarify.

34. Bulging Twine says:

Woodguy v2.0,

When you say 11 games behind SJ do you mean that EDM would have to win 11 more games than SJ to catch them?

35. Pescador says:

flyfish1168:
    Sam Gagner GP33G4 A8 Tp 12 +/–16

Zack KassianGp32 G3A7TP 10+/-+4

Sam Gagner: *also in picture*

36. Snowman says:

I really don’t know how anyone can like how the roster is constructed right now. 28th out of 31. Doesn’t really scream well built team in my books.

Well built teams are in or near the top half of the league at Christmas. Well built teams can win two games in regulation in a row. This team is not one of those teams. Lots of good pieces but not a team that can contend for anything but the draft lottery. Not enough skill and virtually no organizational balance and very little organizational depth.

This team is built like a 5 year old’s lego tower. You know what it’s trying to be but you also know that if you look at it funny it’ll probably fall over and you’ll be cringing when you step on the remnants for the next two weeks hidden in the carpet.

Everyone is talking about how they need to rip off a long stretch of good games and get like 8 out of ten wins. I’ve got news for you.. they just did rip off a bunch of “good games” and they played 0.500 and fell further out of it.

The playoffs are exactly one miracle away this season.

Mcdavid will have to drag them there on sheer will and generational talent alone. Balance and skill on the roster be damned.

Exactly one miracle away from the playoffs.

37. JimmyV1965 says:

treevojo: I think at a tournament like that teammates will always mesh quicker because of familiarity.

That doesn’t mean that they will jive for a full season.

To me they are both puck transporters.

Their lines play better when they are the ones carrying the puck.

Not enough puck for the two of them.

38. JimmyV1965 says:

The optics of trading Hall for Larsson and then two years later trading Nurse for Hoffman would be awful. I know Larsson is RHD but it looks like you’re basically trading two better players for two worse players.

39. treevojo says:

JimmyV1965: All I’m saying is they probably played more together at the tourney then they did in the regular season and they were fire. While your argument makes sense it doesn’t trump the fact they played so well together.

Yup.

My original point was just quick examples off the top of my head.

Didn’t really put much thought into it.

I was trying to point out just because you trade for a first line winger doesn’t nessecarily mean they are going to jive with your first line centre.

40. Snowman says:

JimmyV1965:

Hall>Larsson
    Eberle>Strome

Been there done that.

41. stush18 says:

Ben,

I like that strome can move around the lineup. Much better along the boards than eberle. Much better shot, imo.

He’s formed a great 2A line with drai and khaira. They control the puck down low, and that’s something I think carries a lot of value.

I think he’s worth the contract. His next one, I’m not so sure. Not impossible to see him improving.

When we were all comparing eberle and strome at the start of the year, it was pretty similar. Then eberle is moved down the lineup to play with barzal, and they start having great success.

I’m 100% sure barzal is zooming eberle in soft minutes, but I haven’t looked into it.

Basically, it comes down to whether or not you believe these metrics we’ve been using for years on this blog have value. I do. Therefore, I believe this team is due for a rebound.

Also, I’m pretty sure the contract decision this summer will be between maroon and strome, not nuge.

If we had kept eberle, it would be keeping maroon, and deciding between nuge and eberle. Imo

42. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Yeah thought things would be dicey before Sekera got back but never expected us to be this bad.I’m glad Chia didnt mortgage the future to try and get out of this mess.Things havent looked very good in a while.The Mcdavid and Draisatl overpayments did push our window back a few years until those contracts become more palatable.We’re going to need a steady stream of cheap players.

What are the odds we’re on Hoffmans no trade list.I like the player and he does have a good contract but that is a trade I would not do

Yeah, I expect Klefbom to be traded for a Hoffman type still on an ELC

Pete needs to add scoring AND drop payroll.

You know, just the easy stuff.

43. jtblack says:

LT: you are a Gem!! YOU remind us all of a simplier time, in some ways a more Magical time.

I am At Level 42 in life (age), so I remember Saturday Night Hockey on CBC. The anticipation was always high.

Now of course we get every game, anywhere.

**Memory** I remeber my Dad sneaking me out of a wedding when I was about 8 and we went back to our car for about 15 minutes and listened to the Oilers / Islanders SCF for a bit. Pure Magic.

LETS GO OILERS

44. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bulging Twine:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Yessir.

Teams getting the OT point makes that tough because instead of gaining 2 game with a win, you gain 1 if the other team lost in OT

45. JimmyV1965 says:

Snowman:

The playoffs are exactly one miracle away this season.

Exactly one miracle away from the playoffs.

46. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk:
    Woodguy v2.0,

A relatively healthy team with a good PK formation ( which in turn would probably be the biggest help for the goaltending) and I think this team could go on a 42 points run in a 31 game stretch. That is around the deadline. That would give us 70 points in 62 games.Last year we had 74 points in 62 games.

The two biggest issues with this team this year are:

1) Dmen deployment – 77-83 is a disaster and they keep getting trotted out there

2) PK

Both are run by Jim Johnson while Ian Herbers sits upstairs during the games.

47. Woodguy v2.0 says:

flyfish1168:
    Sam Gagner GP33G4 A8 Tp 12 +/–16

Zack KassianGp32 G3A7TP 10+/-+4

I prefer 5v5 +/- as it removes EN goals and shorties which punish the better players for no reason.

So Goneyay is ……….

………

-15 5v5. (7-22)

Lordy.

48. Ben says:

stush18,

Would love to see some numbers behind the Barzal idea. As much as this blog loved him at the time, I don’t think any of us saw him being *this* good.

(But Eberle’s track record of putting the puck in the net is undeniable, and is a more valuable attribute than any in the “other” columns that Strome might bring to the table, IMO.)

49. Munny says:

LT said…

At least Lemaire isn’t there and the Wild have opened up their game a little.

Still that Miinny-Leaf game the other night was one of the most boring games of the year. Could count scoring chances for both teams on one hand. The ghost of Lemaire still haunts the wilds of Minnesota.

I hope we can match our recent starts with this early puck drop… but it is Tabernac Saturday.

50. Munny says:

JimmyV1965: The history of this league is riddled with examples of good teams that had poor results and bad teams that had good results, even over a full year. Just look at the Jets. Basically the same team as last year, but different results. This team is second in Corsi and first in Fenwick. I’m not a stats guy but even I under this team is getting results that don’t match its performance. This team was hobbled to start the year by poor goaltending and a bed ridden mcdavid.

Three of last year’s final four in the playoffs are presently out of the playoffs.

51. Bank Shot says:

This team doesn’t really have an offence problem. Never has.

Its has a big defence problem and has for the last decade.

And not just defencemen, but good two way forwards.

Having Eberle back doesn’t fix that.

52. treevojo says:

Munny:
    Joansin’ for some Chachi…

#freechachi
    #teamalwayswrong

Pretty sure the velvet Kenny Rogers stopped singing on Nov 24th.

Hopefully he will be back out on tour soon.

53. Melvis says:

My paternal grandparents house featured two burners. The big, old cast iron McClary in the kitchen was mostly wood fired. Gramps took the bread winner role quite literally and turned out the the most beautiful loaves every week. Then he pulled out the Fry’s cocoa, and a chunk of the dark chocolate he ordered from Montreal, melting the lot in a bit of condensed milk or farm cream, a bit of sugar, and a pinch of salt.

The bread, now sufficiently cooled would end up lathered with the chocolate. Bread and chocolate. Who could’ve known.

Meanwhile, grandma would be sitting in the bay window in the living area, weaving a rug out of a box full of fabric scraps. In the winter, the coal burner was roaring hot, the hod and the shovel next to it. As it was in the shack astride the rink.

When suffiently distracted by her craft, I’d sneek over to the hod and pull out a lump, trying it out for flavor and consistency. It was way too much like liquorice to ignore.

I’m not in the mood for chewing on another lump of coal over today’s game.

Let’s GOilers.

54. McSorley33 says:

Are we talking about trading an elite skating defenceman for a winger?

55. leadfarmer says:

Bank Shot:
    This team doesn’t really have an offence problem. Never has.

Its has a big defence problem and has for the last decade.

And not just defencemen, but good two way forwards.

Having Eberle back doesn’t fix that.

No, this team has a 5 man unit problem. They dont play like a team. The defenseman are not good enough getting the puck out and in the offensive side of things, and the forwards are not good enough helping the defensemen. Sure they can get some good corsis. But count how many times in this game the forwards get possession, pass it to a defenseman with one toe on the blue line who then floats a shot into traffic or at the goalie.

56. Pouzar says:

McSorley33:
    Are we talking about trading an elite skating defenceman for a winger?

No “we” weren’t.

57. Bank Shot says:

leadfarmer: No, this team has a 5 man unit problem.They dont play like a team.The defenseman are not good enough getting the puck out and in the offensive side of things, and the forwards are not good enough helping the defensemen.Sure they can get some good corsis.But count how many times in this game the forwards get possession, pass it to a defenseman with one toe on the blue line who then floats a shot into traffic or at the goalie.

I don’t believe it’s a coaching problem.

58. Thinker says:

Bank Shot:
    This team doesn’t really have an offence problem. Never has.

Its has a big defence problem and has for the last decade.

And not just defencemen, but good two way forwards.

Having Eberle back doesn’t fix that.

59. Pouzar says:

Bank Shot: I don’t believe it’s a coaching problem.

I do to an extent. There is only so many times a team can bash the puck up the boards without it being obvious. Opposing D are pinching down hard on the wingers cause they know where it’s goin.

60. McSorley33 says:

Pouzar,

Sorry, is Pouzar talking about trading an elite Dman for a winger?
    :^)

61. Pouzar says:

McSorley33:
    Pouzar,

Sorry, is Pouzar talking about trading an elite Dman for a winger?
    :^)

Ha ha!!!!!!!

62. Munny says:

McSorley33:
    Pouzar,

Sorry, is Pouzar talking about trading an elite Dman for a winger?
    :^)

+1000 chachis

63. Pouzar says:

Jack Michaels‏Verified account
    @EdmontonJack
    Following Following @EdmontonJack

Caggiula replaces Slepyshev on 4th line as EDM looks to improve on league’s 10th-best road record (8-7-2, including 4 of last 5).

64. Bank Shot says:

Thinker: We’ve had 1 goal or less in 1/4 of games. Have been completely blanked in 1/8 of games, and have scored less than 3 in 1/2 the games. This isn’t 2003. A lot of this is obfusticated by the handful of blowouts. I’m not sure how you can responsibly control for that mathematically, since those games are basically outliers. If given the numbers without context, I would probably assume they came from different populations. Some skill on the wings would be a huge addition, as it pushes guys down the depth chart. I think you can build a team similar to what we have, if you have that top end skill still here. Some Boyd Gordon’s/ Horcoff’s would also help a ton. Even Gordon put up similar offense to the kids we bet on, but at least he brought other skills.

The Oilers are 15th in goals for, 25th in goals against.

They badly need some guys that are solid at both ends of the ice. Not Boyd Gordons. You usually need to draft quality two way guys, but the Oilers remaining focused on mostly drafting flashy forwards it seems.

Any two-way forwards they have drafted have failed to turn out.

It’s a serious flaw in the org. Where are the Moreau’s and Griers, and Marchants of yesteryear?

I know those guys were all acquired in trade, but seriously, this org just can’t seem to acquire those types anymore and its killing them.

65. Pouzar says:

IMO, Slepy is better on the 4th line than Cags. He’s a better skater and forechecker. I think Letestu at least has a shot with heavier players like Slepy/Kassian on his wing. I am predicting Caggs/Letestu will be the bottom 2 forwards in possession metrics today.

Yes my opinion is biased. 🙂

66. Snowman says:

They’re a middling team in the high danger scoring chances. I think they’re 9th last time I looked. If they’re in the middle and I can pretty well guarantee Mcdavid will be top in the league in those results I’m betting that the rest of the team is below average.

This team is riding Mcdavid’s coattails. They did last year. The only difference is last year Talbot helped him. This year he isn’t.

I didn’t think they were as good as they showed last year and I don’t think they’re as bad as they show this year. I do think Chia made the team worse this summer and now even Mcdavid isn’t enough to overcome it.

Mcdavid on his ELC and extra cap space not being utilized. Does a team with Mcdavid on his ELC and extra cap space miss the playoffs with a well built roster? I don’t think so.

Mcdavid hides A TONNE of issues. He did last year. He is again this year.

It’s a poorly built roster in my opinion. You may disagree but I think the further you dig into their shot metrics the worse they look. Especially if you take away Mcdavid’s results.

If I had to guess I’d say this team is probably a bubble team all other things being equal. With Mcdavid. On his ELC.

Edit: I’d also add the Carolina Hurricanes have good to great shot metrics every year and are still a bad team every year.

Corsi and Fenwick can tell you a lot but they can’t tell you everything.

67. Pouzar says:

Snowman: I also understand that this team gets a tonne of its shots and shot attempts from the blue line

Oilers are also 6th in High Danger shot attempts.

68. Snowman says:

Pouzar,

Natural stat trick has them 9th.

Edit: Nope you’re right. 6th.

69. Munny says:

I am warning you all right now that if the Oil somehow manage to squeak out an early lead against the giant squid that is Minnesota… I AM GOING TO COOK BACON!

70. Munny says:

Bank Shot,

We did have Ethan Moreau… we just called him Benoit Pouliot.

71. Pouzar says:

Snowman:
    Pouzar,

Natural stat trick has them 9th.

Actually T-5
    5 on 5 Raw HDCF (305)

72. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:

Yes my opinion is biased.

Caggs and SAK pair up to score first goal.

Bookje it.

73. Thinker says:

Bank Shot: The Oilers are 15th in goals for, 25th in goals against.

Any two-way forwards they have drafted have failed to turn out.

If you had a couple boyds and an ebs, you could ice two power lines and a legit shut down line. Instead we had a power line, a good line, then sicklr cell anemia who also couldn’t check. Now moved to 3 meh lines and connor mcdavid.

74. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: Caggs and SAK pair up to score first goal.

Bookje it.

Because Hockey.

75. GMB3 says:

Munny: Pretty sure popularity is meaningless when making an argument, but you know carry on carrying on.

Really? Isn’t that how public perception works? If results matter for an argument, then those trades look pretty bad at the moment.

Something something mutually exclusive #heatmaps #inchiawetrust

76. Pouzar says:

What was that Klef?

77. Chris says:

Moving Klefbom seems like another one of those Chiarilli deals where we move out the more talented player whom is having a down year and in return receive a less talented player whom doesn’t really address the problem we were trying to solve. There is something to be said for trading a depreciating asset but Klefbom is in his twenties not mid thirties so the rational thing to do even if you wanted to trade him would be to wait out his down year and let him re-establish value so you could get something better. Why you’d want to trade someone whom when he is playing well is a top pairing guy is beyond me though. It would simply be another dumb movie to add to trading Hall and Eberle.

78. Munny says:

Miinny PP… puts bacon back in the fridge

Killed it! Brings bacon back out.

79. Munny says:

Drai looks a little livelier

80. Munny says:

What Davey did on the wall there is what OV2 cannot.

81. fishman says:

Woodguy v2.0: The two biggest issues with this team this year are:

1) Dmen deployment –77-83 is a disaster and they keep getting trotted out there

2) PK

Both are run by Jim Johnson while Ian Herbers sits upstairs during the games.

I think you could add goaltending as #3!

82. Munny says:

Yessee goes full Yari on the back check.

83. Pouzar says:

“OV2”

Everybody Drink.

84. OilClog says:

Not sure how you take out Anton and insert a Drake, Cagg has delivered absolutely nothing.

85. Munny says:

Pouzar:
    “OV2”

Everybody Drink.

No beer before bacon. That’s my rule.

86. fishman says:

Nervous. This game starting out similar to Toronto and Nashville games!!!

Boy do we need first goal

87. Munny says:

First decent shift by the Wild comes 3 minutes into the period, against the #1 line.

88. OilClog says:

The only announce team worse then Quinn and Remenda is Vancouvers train wreck, Minnesota’s crew is something you would figure a hockey mad market deploys. Fuck rogers sucks so much

89. Munny says:

And they give up a late PP… never a good strategy. Benning feels the shame.

90. Pouzar says:

Oh f^ck off.

91. OilClog says:

They’re putting a backup in the groove again… another night of ineffective shots.

92. Pouzar says:

This PK config is terrifying.
    Bring back the Snow Angel PK.

93. GMB3 says:

That was a pretty soft call

94. fishman says:

Good kill!

95. Munny says:

PK kills another… Oil will start the 2nd on the PP barring a lightning quick strike.

96. frjohnk says:

Brandon Davidson is a fine Dman

97. Munny says:

GMB3: Really? Isn’t that how public perception works?

Sure. But we’re talking about making an argument, not public perception. Using public perception is a weak form of the argument from authority.

For eg. Most of the pubic believed at one time that the earth was the center of the universe. Even if it had been 100 percent, wouldn’t have made that belief right.

Hence, arguments based on “most people agree” are discounted as meaningless, unless the issue is specific to public perception.

98. frjohnk says:

Not sure if anybody else sees it but whenever I see Nurse interviewed he reminds me of Messier when he speaks. A certain confidence /cocky attitude. Love it

99. Munny says:

After the first…

Shots 13-10
    5 x 5 CF-CA: 21-18
    5 x 5 FF -FA: 14-11
    5 x 5 SCF-A: 5-5

100. JimmyV1965 says:

Snowman: I understand the results. I also understand that this team gets a tonne of its shots and shot attempts from the blue line which have a significantly lower chance of going in than a shot from the kill zone. So while I agree this team has great shot metrics they are misleading to a degree because of how many of those shots come from a poor scoring area.

Mcdavid hides A TONNE of issues. He did last year. He is again this year.

Corsi and Fenwick can tell you a lot but they can’t tell you everything.

So are we a team that can only compete for a lottery pick like you originally said, ir a middling team? I get mcdavid hides a lot of issues, but he is on our team. Kopitar hides a lot of issues in LA too.

101. Pouzar says:

Same ol shit on the PP.

102. Munny says:

Oilers discuss whether or not to decline the penalty.

103. Pouzar says:

Atta boy DN.

104. Munny says:

Looch tings the post.

105. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Maroon does not give a fuck today. By my eye of course.

106. fishman says:

Man I hope special teams play doesn’t cost us another game. Really needed to score on that PP. You know there will be even up calls coming.

107. frjohnk says:

How come we keep playing against back up goalies that put up Vezina numbers when we play them?

108. Pouzar says:

Dat PP.

109. OilClog says:

Screaming at Mcdavid to shoot the puck… crazy to suggest but I’d consider pissing Mcdavid off and sitting him a powerplay and see if that changes anything. Everyone in the building knows he’s passing, put him at the point, put him infront of the keeper, but take him off the walls for goodness sakes, it’s not working.

110. geowal says:

Réal Goudenyéu:
    Maroon does not give a fuck today. By my eye of course.

He took a hit, may be rattled

111. frjohnk says:

Réal Goudenyéu:
    Maroon does not give a fuck today. By my eye of course.

Does not give a fuck can be measured in 60 minutes.

DNGAF/60

112. geowal says:

fishman:

Right on cue

113. Pouzar says:

Useless.

114. OilClog says:

Woooo Liam Reddox

115. fishman says:

Wow was that a stupid retaliation penalty . Should be benched for that. Free Sleppy and by by Drake.

116. Munny says:

I have a very bad feeling about this.

117. Klima's_Bucket says:

Slepyshev wouldn’t do that.
    #FreeSleppy
    #JailCaggs

118. Munny says:

NOOOOGE!!

119. fishman says:

Youzza!!!!!!

120. geowal says:

Now that’s a way to win the special team battle!

121. Munny says:

Merry Kass-mas, Nuge!

122. frjohnk says:

RNH getting his offense propped up…..by scoring again.

123. Munny says:

I feel like we were owed that post.

124. geowal says:

Stalock didn’t play that well, must’ve thought no chance zack gets it over to Nuge

125. Pouzar says:

Shortie was awesome but my gawd this PK.

126. sliderule says:

I was going to say Caggiula should not see ice again.

Maybe coaches can see Nuge should be on no one pp.

127. OilClog says:

Nuge better slow down before he’s traded for Gallagher

128. AntsOfTheSky says:

Hell yeah Nuge!!! Beautifully executed 2 on 1 there. Wasn’t aware that was his first SH goal, good stuff.

129. Munny says:

This is one vocal ref. He’s been loud all game.

130. Munny says:

Lackadaisacal tomfoolery, beginning with Jujhar.

131. Munny says:

And then Dumba scores.

132. fishman says:

Drake back on the ice, Wild score. Stop turning the puck over!!!!!

133. Younger Oil says:

Really dumb by Talbot not to freeze that puck.

134. OilClog says:

Drake Reddox is ensuring this is his last game for a few months, nope! Coach has him right back out there…

135. Pouzar says:

Benning has been awful this period.

136. LMHF#1 says:

“Throw it up the boards” costs them AGAIN.

How the coaches are encouraging this rather than making it a benchable offense boggles my brain.

137. Munny says:

Couldn’t have asked for a better moment for the TV timeout.

138. geowal says:

For those wondering, that ends ~150 minutes of no goals by the Oilers against a ‘starting’ backup goalie, going back to the Arizona game against Scott Wedgewood, where they won in OT via a goal by…Nuge! He’s the only one not afraid to pad his stats against them.

And of course Minny tied in time I took to write this.

139. Pouzar says:

OilClog:

Promote him to Line 1.

140. Munny says:

Pouzar:
    Benning has been awful this period.

141. Munny says:

How is that not a penalty on Nino?

142. fishman says:

OilClog:

143. Munny says:

Oh, apparently it takes two infractions. Nino to the box.

144. Pouzar says:

Yeah complain about that one Minny.

145. Pouzar says:

Drew should be tested.

146. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Good gord it’s just so static

147. Munny says:

LOOOOCH!

148. fishman says:

Munny: He was not the only goat… the evacuating 3rd line was awful, but he has not been good.

149. LMHF#1 says:

Réal Goudenyéu:
    Good gord it’s just so static

They’re not only not moving, but not in the right positions either.

150. LMHF#1 says:

New rule – Lucic can only touch the puck from the tops of the circles in.

151. OilClog says:

Pouzar: Promote him to Line 1.

Tag the C on his sweater while they’re at it.

Out of all the players the Oilers have strutted out in the last two seasons, Cagg sticks out for his ‘earned’ playing time..

PP goal.. let’s put Drake out.. and almost scored on.. lol

152. OilClog says:

fishman: Would be my candidate to be sent down when Sek/Larsson back. Don’t care if he has to clear waivers. Has taken numerous bad penalties and doesn’t score enough to make up for it.

Trade him for Hoffman lol

153. fishman says:

Need this kill badly!

154. Munny says:

Oilers killed that Wild PP as well as they do their own PPs.

155. fishman says:

That was a very nice kill. Well done!!!!

156. Gerta Rauss says:

PP coming up and I’m not sure that’s a good thing

157. Munny says:

We have a lead. I’m putting some sizzle in my skillet.

158. fishman says:

OilClog: Trade him for Hoffman lol

Would be willing to sweeten that deal and throw in Fayne or Gryba!

159. OilClog says:

Gerta Rauss:
    PP coming up and I’m not sure that’s a good thing

It’s the 37 seconds after when the coach roles Reddox out there that should be the worry.

160. fishman says:

Munny,

Mmmmm bacon!

161. geowal says:

That was a curious slash

162. OilClog says:

fishman: Would be willing to sweeten that deal and throw in Fayne or Gryba!

I completely forgot that Fayne is still a thing!

With the way Pouliot is performing in Buffalo.. maybe they can be convinced that Cagg is a first liner, Fayne is still a top 4, and that’s an amazing return for Kane.

163. fishman says:

Wondering what the stats show on how well college signed players are doing in year 2 and 3? I think we were all pretty happy with last years signing of Benning and Caguilla (something for nothing). They both showed some promise in year 1 but neither looking real strong in year 2. They may bounce back (hopefully) but wouldn’t bet the house on it. They are also not 19 either.

164. Munny says:

After two…

Shots 23-22
    5 x 5 CF-CA: 27-25
    5 x 5 FF-FA: 20-20
    5 x 5 SCF-A: 11-8

Been a close match thus far.

165. Pescador says:

fishman: Banning should come out when Larsson is back. Maybe watching for a while would be beneficial. He is too slow and can’t handle larger forwards

Banning is having a tough day

166. Munny says:

fishman:
    Munny,

Mmmmm bacon!

The only thing better than beer and hockey.

167. OilClog says:

Kane would score an abundance of goals with any of the Oilers musketeers up the middle, he has one thing on his mind when he gets the puck, shoot.

Upside of 40goals a year with the talent he’d have passing to him, I’ve played him in 95% of my FanDuel lineups this season and his floor just with SOG always keeps you in the thick of things. 10pt floor with a 50-60pt ceiling, found money, he’s criminally underpriced.

He’s young, fast, hits like a truck when he wants to. He is my #1 target for this team. I know he’s coming up on ufa… but if he would agree to a sign and trade.. Klef, Maroon, prospect, and draft picks. They can flip Maroon for more picks, give Housley a mobile D, and the young forward theoretically gets some time with them as they sell their seniors at the deadline.

168. fishman says:

So far so good. Would be huge if we can hang on and win this one. Wondering if TMac shortens the bench??? 4 th line shaky. Would give Kass a few shifts in Maroons place as Patty doesn’t seem to have the motor running today???? Klef/ Benning duo also looking shaky. Armchair coaching done.

Go Oil!

OP we know you are out there!

169. fishman says:

Pescador,

He needs to be banned!

170. Munny says:

Just one PP goal… that’s all Baby Jesus wants for Christmas.

171. Pouzar says:

Everybody Drink.

172. frjohnk says:

OilClog,

Klef, Maroon, picks and a prospect? for Kane.

I dont know.

I feel we should add.

173. Pescador says:

That PP is like watching my wife and my ex girlfriend having a conversation without being able to hear them

174. Munny says:

Pffft… we are owed like 4 more posts at least.

175. Munny says:

Benning is struggling so bad.

176. Pouzar says:

Munny:
    Benning is struggling so bad.

Not only him 😛

177. Munny says:

Pescador:

Either way, you’re not scoring.

178. npanciroli says:

Woodcroft really needs to fix the PP and PK. So much of this season is because of special teams.

179. Munny says:

Pouzar: Not only him

Agreed. 😉

180. frjohnk says:

Pouzar: Not only him 😛

Yeah, that Shevyslep guy is too. Dont think he has a shot this again.

181. Munny says:

PUJOOOOOO!!!!

182. treevojo says:

Jess’s from the luc

183. Munny says:

Yesus that is a huge goal.

184. treevojo says:

There’s lucic getting gifted those points again

185. geowal says:

Yes Jesse! Great work by Lucic.

186. Gerta Rauss says:

Atta boy Jesse..!!

187. npanciroli says:

So Lucic is the best LW in the league right?

188. Pescador says:

Man Boy!!

189. treevojo says:

Probably should take him off that line

190. Réal Goudenyéu says:

treevojo:
    There’s lucic getting gifted those points again

Quick, trade him for a seventh rounder!

191. npanciroli says:

Lucic on pace for 61 i think.

Edit: 59.

192. Pouzar says:

Missed the goal. F^ckin stream goes awry every commercial break.

193. frjohnk says:

Réal Goudenyéu: Quick, trade him for a seventh rounder!

We may have add a 8th rounder to balance the contracts

194. OilClog says:

frjohnk:
    OilClog,

Klef, Maroon, picks and a prospect? for Kane.

I dont know.

I feel we should add.

Have you seen Chia’s trades… it’s a matter of trying to think like him. I use to believe there was more value, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest otherwise.. so it’s a sell the farm type situation if Kane signs, watch a lot of obscure games due to dfs and I know I know eye test means nothing to most. But I thoroughly enjoy Kane’s game. Fast, freight train, heads straight down the wing, takes heavy shots, would be the teams best shooter wouldn’t even be close. Perfect age bracket.

I go all in wanting a more groomed new age power type forward that does nothing but shoot the puck, he’s everything this offence is missing.

He has 138 shots, no Oiler is over 95 before this game this afternoon. Even has more assists then goals. He’s not Hall, but he’s a poor mans Hall at least in enjoyability.

195. frjohnk says:

npanciroli:
    So Lucic is the best LW in the league right?

Drake Cagguila will play with McDavid again and will say hi.

196. Munny says:

Drai has looked like he’s back in the saddle this game.

197. Gerta Rauss says:

oh dear

198. Munny says:

Dumba tightens the sphincters.

199. Melvis says:

The rye sent my freaking stream past the goal.

I dunno about that one. Where the hell is Chachi?

200. geowal says: