AHL Game 25: Condors at Barracuda

The Bakersfield Condors won last night on a late goal by Braden Christoffer, running the team’s record to 10-11-3. The team will play the San Jose Barracuda again today (11-11-1, game starting right away)  in San Jose. Updates as available.

CONDORS TONIGHT

• Among forwards, Ty Rattie is easily the class of the group, although Iiro Pakarinen’s skill level is probably equal.
  • Among prospect forwards, Joey Laleggia and Kyle Platzer are leading a shy group.
  • Ethan Bear posted an assist last night, he’s impressive despite missing 15 games with concussion symptoms.
  • Nick Ellis starts again, he could be a recall later in the year. At that time, he would likely make his NHL debut.

26 Responses to "AHL Game 25: Condors at Barracuda"

Rattie 10 from Jones (7) and Hamilton (8)

2. 99217 says:

Do we know if Bear was concussed via a fight,collision or a possible dirty hit?Any game I seen him play in seemed to show that he is a sturdy balanced kid

Laleggia (5) from Currie (7) and Hamilton (9) but the Condors fall 3-2 Sunday.

4. Professor Q says:

99217:

Missing 15+ games on one of your first concussions does seem like it could grow much worse, but better safe than sorry. No need to mess up one’s life.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

99217:

It was a high hit – not a fight.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

From accounts, Jones is having a great game.

7. 99217 says:

Professor Q,

I don’t see extensive man games lost for him in the dub so hopefully it is his first and only concussion incurred.Seen to many careers cut short before they have a chance to mature.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Crazy finish to the Condors’ game – they score with 7 seconds left to make it 3-2 but and then Currie missed a wide open net to tie it with about a second left.

9. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– How many players on the Condor’s are our actual draft picks?: Joey and Kyle the only 2 forwards, and Bear and Jones on D, and Ellis. Am I missing any?

– So 5 Oil draft picks on our AHL team: that seems low, or is that a typical amount? Quickly: looks like the Leafs have 8.

– Teams have Junoir, KHL, NCAA, SHL, etc as well : but I wonder if we are average with 5 in AHL?

10. VOR says:

Here is a great piece on high efficiency play/low efficiency play from a team perspective. This is the second concept I will be developing while talking about the depths of the draft (rounds 3 and lower). I have begun developing the idea of a player with high marginal utility to it I am going to add the concept of a high efficiency player.

A player with high marginal utility is one who, once you’ve allowed for team effects, produces more value, more good events than an average player at the same position. They can be seen in with/without stats. The value of the extra utility can be quantified independent of team effects and we will be coming to that.

However, I talked about Nick Lidstrom and Relentless Efficiency last night.

Here then is the definition, a High Efficiency player produces a positive Goal Difference per possession. The measure then is (Goals For that occur while the player is on the ice -Goals Against that occur when the player is on the ice)/Total Possessions of the Puck.

This is easy to measure if a bit time consuming.

I use my screening formula to locate likely high marginal utility players. I then confirm they are high marginal utility players. Once that is confirmed I put in the time to see if they are also high efficiency players. When the player is both producing an usually high level of utility and doing it by being highly efficient I start to get excited. Now you have the chance of them being Pavel Datysuk or Joe Pavelski both of who perfectly fit the model.

11. Wonder Llama says:

Llamas llurk llate.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m looking forward to seeing Nuge and Jesse on the PP together tonight. Although they will likely get 2nd minutes, to me, any unit with Nuge on it is PP1.

13. Professor Q says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – How many players on the Condor’s are our actual draft picks?: Joey and Kyle the only 2 forwards, and Bear and Jones on D, and Ellis.Am I missing any?

– So 5 Oil draft picks on our AHL team: that seems low, or is that a typical amount?Quickly: looks like the Leafs have 8.

14. 99217 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Ellis was an ncaa signing but I believe Simpson was an Oiler draft.

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: Edmonton luckily is able to sign a lot of post-secondary players. A good trend to fill the cupboard while the drafted prospects age. The Condors will be full of more drafted prospects as soon as next year. Then more in the following years.

Yup, Benson and Yamamoto will join the Condors next year, maybe Berglund.

16. JD_Sigh says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: Am I missing any?

Betker, Simpson, Leggs, Platzer.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

99217:
    Kinger_Oil.redux,

Ellis was an ncaa signing but I believe Simpson was an Oiler draft.

Yes, Simpson was drafted in 2011 by the Oilers.

Shane Starret is another NCAA signing who will likely graduate to the Condors next year depending on what happens with Brossoit.

18. 99217 says:

Nicholson’s franchise review (before the hiring of PC) was,I believe,said to include a mandate to retool the draft & develop process that performed so poorly under the guidance of Lowe,Tambellini and MacTavish.

19. 99217 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Possibly Lagesson & Vesel(if signed) as well.

20. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

JD_Sigh: Betker, Simpson, Leggs, Platzer.

OK – So drafted by Oil:

1) Lalegglia
    2) Kyle Platzer
    3) Bekter
    4) Simpson
    5) Bear
    6) Jones

– And to be fair, Jar and Pool both look like they are bona-fide NH, and I thought Paigin was a bonafide prospect as well. Sleppy as well: so 10 Oil drat picks in AHL at start of season

– My gut says in that you’d ideally want more than half the AHL roster as your own prospects (be it draft, or young trades like Mantha, Rattie. So I guess this isn’t a total fail

– If an ideal NHL team is promoting 1-2 players a year from AHL (which we did this year), then you’ve probably got to have 4-6 new prospects coming onto AHL tem each year (from Junior, NCAA, overseas)

– After originally thinking our AHL was really light, it’s probably not bad, and as others have pointed out, finally more coming next few years: the NCAA acquisitions, and trades for AHL this year were really a reflection of the dearth that was there before

– Chia and the drafting team have really moved the dial on that point. We could be adding 6+ drafted prospects next season to AHL…

* while NCAA signings are nice, if they aren’t NHL “ready” a la Benning or Caggs, and they are in AHL at 22, they likely don’t have much of a ceiling: as they are competing against 19/20 year olds who were drafted but not NHL ready. But again, good work by Chia to sign some NCAA prospects into AHL, in the absence of drafted prospects

21. OriginalPouzar says:

99217:
    OriginalPouzar,

Possibly Lagesson & Vesel(if signed) as well.

Ya, I’m not sure about any of the college guys – I don’t follow them as closely as the CHL and European league prospects.

I believe SwedishPoster posited that Berglund might come over but Lagesson will likely stay in Sweden for another year (although I may have that backwards).

Lagesson is signed, suspect he comes over in the fall.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

99217:

There is definitely an argument to be critictal towards Chiarelli with respect to his free agent signings and trades since he took over the Oilers, however, so far, it looks like he’s been very good with draft picks and we have many prospects drafted outside the first round that have had arrows straight up since drafted.

Of course, they all won’t “make it”, in fact, only a few likely will, however, I do like our prospect stream.

Unfortunately, we won’t really have anyone ready to graduate to a top 6 fowards role next year to replace Maroon – I hope they don’t rush Benson and/or Yamamoto in to an NHL spot because of a gaping roster hole but are able to acquire a more proven top 6 scorer for a reasonable price (at least for competition). A Jokinen type signing but one that works out better (i.e. Buffalo and Pouliot).

24. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

VOR:

– VOR: this is neat. In terms of efficiency, they mention that NJ, a “low event” team, vs Pitt and Washington: who score a lot

– Now NJ that’s a coaching thing, while, Wash and Pitt has the most elite players in the game.

– But for the mushy middle, is that just variance year over year, or actual coaching//systems?

25. Professor Q says:

Lagesson is signed, suspect he comes over in the fall.

You don’t think he’ll Lag behind the rest of the prospects?

26. VOR says:

Kinger,

I think the numbers in the mushy middle are a combination of variance, some coaching, and some systems. I certainly wouldn’t use the mushy middle to make predictions. The same is true when the concept is applied to players.

Tyler Benson clearly has high marginal utility and high efficiency. But I only found six other players in the WHL who were draft eligible where the combination of high efficiency and high utility were obvious. Most players wobbled around average on both measurements.