(Gonna walk) Before they make me run

The great thing about three centers with offensive ability is it’s easier to cover for the big line when nothing rhymes. The Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins lines feature wingers who range from unproven to unusual, but things have come together since the trio of centers have stayed in the middle. It sets up a classic ‘chicken versus egg’ argument: Are the Oilers working better because of the centers three, or did the team gather enough wingers/allow prospect growth in order to reach this day? More in a minute.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great Christmas offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

LONG DECEMBER, YEAR OVER YEAR

• December 2015: 6-2-0, goal differential +1 (12 points)
  • December 2016: 3-2-3, goal differential 0 (9 points)
  • December 2017: 5-3-0, goal differential +7 (10 points)

Todd McLellan’s current group are performing well enough in December to be compared to his previous Oilers, and that’s a good thing. The NHL is too good a league to go 30 days without bleeding a little (very rare) but there’s still a chance for Edmonton to turn December into a strong recovery month.

AFTER 34, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 14-18-2, goal differential -19 (30 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 17-12-5, goal differential +8 (39 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 15-17-2, goal differential -8 (32 points)

After 34 this season the current Oilers are beginning to separate (finally!) from the 15-16 group and are going to have a helluva time getting close to last year’s team, now and later. That’s the goal.

WHAT TO  EXPECT FROM DECEMBER

• On the road to: Calgary (Expected: 0-0-1) (Actual: 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Philadelphia (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual: 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Montreal, Toronto, Columbus (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 2-1-0)
  • At home to: Nashville (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • At home to: San Jose, St. Louis, Montreal (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • On the road to: Winnipeg (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Chicago, Winnipeg (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-6-2, 12 points in 13 games
  • Current results: 5-3-0, 10 points in eight games

The Oilers needed that game, needed to win in regulation. Two more giant games coming up but the team is getting healthy and can overcome mistakes and bad luck (there was some of both last night).

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Klefbom-Benning went 14-13 in 13:19, 2-1 GF. 5-2 in HDSC’s. That’s a good line against a fine team like San Jose. Went 8-10 against Thornton-Pavelski-Lebanc in 7:25, that’s the top SJS line and about half of JT’s minutes with Pavelski. That’s a good night.
  • Nurse-Russell were 8-12 together in 12:37, 1-1 GF and 2-1 HDSC’s. High event on the night, Russell gave up the blueline consistently and didn’t find tape with many passes. I saw Nurse better, he was 3-1 Corsi and 2-0 HDSC with Larsson. Went 1-3 in 5:03 against Thornton-Pavelski-Lebanc, were 5-0 against Boedker-O’Regan-Ward.
  • Davidson-Larsson were 11-13 in 15:09, 0-0 GF and 4-1 in HDSC’s. That’s a nice third pairing! Not quite true of course, Larsson played more at evens than any other blue. Went 5-8 against Sorensen-Hertl-Lebanc, 2-2 in 5:30 against the Thornton line. Larsson took about one period to earn No. 1 pairing minutes from the coach, wonder if we see Nurse-Larsson in the coming days.
  • I think Todd McLellan rolled three pairings against the Thornton line, meaning I don’t think he was matching anyone with his defense. Is that similar to his road warrioring? I think it might be.
  • Cam Talbot stopped 18 of 21, .857.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Maroon-Nuge-Caggiula were 14-4 in 11:27, 2-1 GF and 7-1 HDSC. Wonderful totals and the line also posted five points on the evening. I don’t think Cammalleri is going to get his job back. Line went 8-2 against Thornton-Pavelski-Lebanc. Great evening, Nuge is a fine player.
  • Walker-Letestu-Kassian went 6-6 in 6:15, they dont play much. Letestu’s bat is coming around again, Kassian is effective even when quiet (he wanders at times but he’s fine now) and I don’t know what kind of game Walker is going to bring.
  • Khaira-Draisaitl-Strome went 9-12 in 10:52, 1-1 in GF and 2-0 in HD. Five points for the line on the evening, this line contributing is a big item for the Oilers currently. Were 9-1 against Sorensen-Hertl-Lebanc, 1-6 against the Tierney line. Huh.
  • Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi should and could have scored but it wasn’t their night. Five HD scoring chances (two for each winger) but nothing rhymed. Went 13-16 in 15:01, 1-0 GF and 5-2 in HDSC’s. Jesse is pushing now, coach Todd McLellan needs to keep sending him out there on the top line. The broadcast crew were getting nervous about him last night, important to push through the growing pains.

KEYS TO VICTORY

This isn’t breaking news, but the key additions to this team over the last several weeks (since November 11 and Jesse Puljujarvi’s recall) are:

• Brandon Davidson waiver claim
  • Jesse Puljujarvi’s recall and Todd McLellan’s commitment to him
  • Moving Leon to center
  • Finding enough wingers, including the acquisition of Mike Cammalleri
  • Jujhar Khaira’s emergence

Peter Chiarelli made a lot of bets on kids this winter, and it took some time, but the emergence of Jesse Puljujarvi and Jujhar Khaira (who had Khaira as being the one to emerge?) is a very good pair of arrows. The good news is announced smartly in current 5×5/60 scoring numbers:

1. Connor McDavid 2.72
  2. Leon Draisaitl 2.53
  3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 2.33
  4. Milan Lucic 2.25
  5. Jujhar Khaira 2.23
  6. Jesse Puljujarvi 2.16
  7. Patrick Maroon 2.00
  8. Mike Cammalleri 1.86
  9. Ryan Strome 1.61
  10. Mark Letestu 1.50
  11. Zack Kassian 1.45
  12. Drake Caggiula 1.38
  13. Nathan Walker 0.00
  14. NaturalStatTrick

There’s still time, and we should keep in mind Anton Slepyshev is just a phone call away, but it does appear we have two winners in a battle that once included the likes of Kailer Yamamoto, Chris Kelly and (until surprisingly late) Patrick Russell.  I’m always interested in hearing how people see things, what pressure they place on sides of a coin. For instance, are you angry at Todd McLellan for waiting to run three centers, or do you think Jesse Puljujarvi’s time in Bakersfield helped him? Do you believe Jujhar Khaira was there all the time, or do you believe that sitting him, letting him know there were other options, cleared his mind?

Or maybe you feel Peter Chiarelli should have offered cover for all these youngsters and signed/acquired a veteran over the summer? Love to hear your voice on this one.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. A fun group of guests, and your comments are welcome. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, The Athletic. The Helminen piece and Oilers getting closer to roster balance.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. How do you solve a penalty kill that refuses to be solved?
  • Guy Flaming, The Pipeline Show. Our annual seeding of the nations for WJC’s.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

182 Responses to "(Gonna walk) Before they make me run"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

The Oilers are a different team than when they’ve played the Blues earlier in the year.

Its now been, what, 6 games of solid hockey (since the Philly game)?

I’m hoping its not too late but at least we are seeing the team that we expected/hoped to see at the beginning of the year.

Both Talbot and Drai are rounding in to form and the secondary and tertiary players are doing their jobs.

Should be a fun one on Thursday – my last game that i know for certainty I’ll be able to watch in full (will be on an airplane for the weekend game and on a boat or chopper to Macau for the game following that).

I hate missing Oiler games.

2. zatch says:

I still think we do better than Drake (I need to see more from him) and I just…can’t get behind Strome. I think that this team badly needs a higher end scoring winger still, and that would replace/push down on those two players.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Roster freeze goes in to effect at 11:59 tonight – this includes waivers.

Unless the Oilers place someone on waivers today, they won’t be able to activate Sekera until after December 28th.

I think we might see Gryba (or Walker) on waivers today in anticipation if they think Reggie will be ready for one of the next few games.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

zatch:

Interesting timing of this post as both had good games last night.

They are playing 3rd line wing – I think Strome is legit as a 3W – Drake is still a tweener though.

5. Donye West says:

When Sekera is ready, you take out Kris Russell, right??

6. zatch says:

OriginalPouzar,

I stand by it. One good game does not a season make. Unless you think Drake and Strome are suddenly Actually Good.

7. jm363561 says:

48 games to go! Can they make the play offs?

On the one hand you would think making up a six point deficit with nearly two – thirds of the season to go, is definitely doable.

On the other hand to get to just 92 points requires the team to get 15 points from each of the four remaining sets of 12 games – one and a quarter points a game in other words. That seems a lot less doable.

Would you put money on an evens bet? Nope. What a frigging epic special teams fail.

8. Woogie63 says:

Donye West:
    When Sekera is ready, you take out Kris Russell, right??

I like

25-6
    77-83
    2-4

Until 2 is ready to play higher in the batting order

9. GMB3 says:

zatch:
    OriginalPouzar,

Pretty wild, the difference between being from Ontario and Russia

10. flyfish1168 says:

Nice to see the Oilers coming around. I do believe contracts, unreported injuries and sometimes coaches stubbornness is the call for how the lineup is made up for each game. I still believe Drake became an Oiler because he was promise certain conditions or he wasn’t coming. JP with bonus money hanging and no waiver concerns was easy to target to start the season in AHL. JP until they feel he can’t get his bonus money he will only see limited PP time. Minor injuries are not known to us and this can dictate minutes played and last minute lineup. JMHO

11. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woogie63: I like

25-6
    77-83
    2-4

Until 2 is ready to play higher in the batting order

I think this is close, definitely 2-4 playing thirds 5v5. If the coach is liking Klef again I think he uses Nurse and Larsson to cover the lesser defensively Klef and Benning 77-6 25-83

12. Admiral Ackbar says:

Donye West:
    When Sekera is ready, you take out Kris Russell, right??

I think so, but it won’t happen. IMO, 88 > 4.

13. Scungilli Slushy says:

GMB3: My biggest issue with the “Sleppy needs to earn his ice time ” crew is that TMac plays his favorited and I haven’t seen Drake do much to earn his ice time. He’s a Nail Yakupov without the offensive skill. Bees, poor in his own end, but lots of hustle.

Pretty wild, the difference between being from Ontario and Russia

Slepy needs to change whatever he’s doing that they are asking, like JP has. They are rewarding players that are following the plan, as much as for posting offense it seems. Still building the team identity and trying to get everyone playing the system. They need to still be more consistent to be amongst the top teams.

14. Whatif says:

When I think of possible upgrades to the Oilers wingers, Mike Hoffman comes pretty close to ideal. In some ways he is a speedy and focussed version of Eberle. This is not a bad thing.

I wonder what it would cost in terms of assets and whether the Sens would make the move.

What are everyone’s thoughts on this?

15. Atc-Nate says:

I don’t believe Walker can be waived for 30 days after claiming… Has it been that long?

JUJHAR has arrived mid season, but to me he was consistently inconsistent to start the year. I believe there was significant discussions about all the inconsistency.

I also think that it’s a little bit of both 3 centers and the arrival of wingers at a good time. JP arriving on the McD line has given us some depth and allowed Leon and Nuge a slight upgrade in wingers.

Lastly: Nuge is Datsyuk. That guy (Nuge) has hockey IQ out the wazoo and just needs some more strength to go along with it. If you followed PD, he arrived in a big way and scored 30 goals in his breakout year. While the Nuge is a year older breaking out and development and draft pedigree were different it seems Nuge could do the 30 thing this year. Hopefully he can continue AND stay healthier that Pavel.

Anyhow, the recent surge is somewhat encouraging, hopefully it will continue.

16. Woodguy v2.0 says:

8 games back from 3rd in the Pacific

6 games back of the last wildcats spot in the WC.

5 games left in December.

If they can get that down to 6 back and 4 back by the end of the month it sets up for an interesting winter.

17. blainer says:

I like this post LT.

If Cags can play like that every night with the speed he on display this team will be an opponents nightmare.

Man I really hate to see Davey come out when Reggie gets back. He is sooo solid back there. Bet Benning and Davey rotate in and out of the lineup. .. Depth on D … gotta love it.

Well done Davey you look like you are back to your solid ways before your injuries.

Man Jesse has arrived folks. This guy is here to stay and is a coach’s dream. Solid in all zones and a beast to boot.

I know lots don’t think we make the playoff’s. I will say it now.. IF we stay healthy we not only make the playoffs but this team is a contender.. Just stay healthy baby !!

18. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Atc-Nate,

They can waive him, within 30 days, but those who put in a claim when EDM got him would have the option of taking him now, it wouldn’t be a “new” waiver process.

If EDM was the only team to put in a claim the first time then WAS would have the option of getting him back and putting him in the AHL.

If no other team claimed, of if the teams that did decline their option and WAS declines their option then he stays an Oiler and goes to the A

19. Ford Prefect says:

Does anyone know how The Athletic is doing? Signups, revenue, content creation per 60, juicy rumours about the writers?

20. JimmyV1965 says:

Big win last night. I wasn’t super thrilled with the way they played though, but I guess you can’t bring it every night. It’s not that they were bad, but it was probably their worst effort in six games or so. I didn’t see Walker do anything really. Would much rather have Schleppy. I can’t see why you would hold back any prospect for Walker.

21. Pouzar says:

Bob Stauffer (@Bob_Stauffer) · Twitter

FYI… if the Oilers plan on activating Andrej Sekera (and he is very close) and playing him before December 28th.. they will need to put someone on waivers today-prior to the NHL roster free… or placing someone on IR

22. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar:

Its now been, what, 6 games of solid hockey (since the Philly game)?

I hate missing Oiler games.

Chopper to Macau. That brings back memories.
    2008 the weekend Lehman went under. I have some stories that will stay in the vault.

Enjoy the good life, OP. Relish it because it does not always last

23. slopitch says:

There were a few times last game where JP really caughed the puck up in some bad spots (Lucic does the same still though btw) and followed it up with some effective back checking and a good shot. Good on him. Hopefully his next 20 games shows progress like the last 20.

Slepy has been off this year. Saw him bad vs Nashville. If the Oilers make a trade today, I’ll guess its him who goes. Which is too bad since he looked great late last year. Is Slepy+2nd enough for Hoffman? I doubt it but who knows with Ottawa looking to move money.

Its an uphill battle the rest of the way but the team is getting its swagger back. Go Oilers!

24. JimmyV1965 says:

I can’t see how the coach sits Davidson once we get Sek back. By my eye, he’s playing better than Benning, Klef and Russell. Although Russell had arguably his worst game of the season last night, he’s been better than Klef and Benning. I would sit Benning. I realize the whole RHD thing makes it tricky, but he’s so much worse than everyone else that I still think you’re further ahead sitting him out.

25. slopitch says:

I think so yes. But he added Jokinen which didnt pan out. He also got unlucky with Drai/Klef/Talbot starting slow + the 97 flue. That impacted the team more then say adding Jagr would have done.

26. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

LT, good post. To me some portion of the blame for the season falls on the coaches for failing to give Leon his own line until 30% of the season was gone.

The right call, playoffs showed us this, was to run the 3 Cs separately. Paying Leon 8.5m and Chia saying he sees him as a C. And TMc nearly cost this team the season not icing the best lineup until game 26.

Some may say he is coaching ‘big time’ and I don’t disagree at all, kinger. But the lineup decisions until then were baffling and may cost this team the playoffs. Secondary scoring becomes a real thing when you allow each of your creative Cs to run his own line.

27. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

The numbers on Klef yesterday vs my eye test did not jive. He still looks like a shadow of his 16-17 self to me.

28. Pouzar says:

slopitch,

I think Slepy has looked good this year despite the injury. Lovely possession numbers and hustling his ass off. I think sending him down was the easy move here. We wait but I think Caggs could be the trade target. I hope so.

29. Lucinius says:

There’s been some talk on the MSM today about how Tampa has been in Vegas since Saturday and play tonight and how it is a barometer for teams in Vegas. Made me curious and I looked up the Knights’ record;

They’re 21-9-2 overall.
    They’re 8-7-1 on the road.
    They’re 13-2-1 at home.

I find this very interesting. I wonder if teams might be better off if they clamp down on the players when in Vegas…

30. flea says:

I was talking to a coworker yesterday that we had had the exact same Oilers conversation multiple times this year, how the team had seemed to turn a corner and that we were looking forward to that nights game.

Every time they pitched a total stinker that night and deservedly lost.

We were having the same conversation again and I kind of thought this game would be the same. The biggest game of the year, and the Oilers would get lit up. For what feels like the first time this year, that didn’t happen.

Hoping for a strong finish to December and they will be right back in it. I guarantee the team is thinking about being Bettman .500 by the Christmas break.

31. JimmyV1965 says:

slopitch:

Slepy has been off this year. Saw him bad vs Nashville. If the Oilers make a trade today, I’ll guess its him who goes. Which is too bad since he looked great late last year.Is Slepy+2nd enough for Hoffman? I doubt it but who knows with Ottawa looking to move money.

That’s exactly how I saw JP last night. You can clearly see the skill there, but he does some really bone headed things, like the three on one, and he actually looks like he’s getting in the way sometimes. But man he hustles back defensively and breaks up plays. He’s super fast out there and he can shoot the pill.

32. McSorley33 says:

***************************************************************************************************************
    Khaira was one of the best Oiler forwards right from when they stepped on the ice for training camp.

The idea of playing 3 high end draft picks at their natural C position seems about as easy as it comes. ( this was a good idea in October as well)

Of course, I can never be sure, but I cannot rule out a phone call from above may have convinced
    TMac of the above two concepts.

JP is a different boat as he clearly needed to learn the game. But you can see he is making a point to drive to the net and stop in front of it. He has always been a young player with a fairly good defensive feel.

33. Clarkenstein says:

Donye West:
    When Sekera is ready, you take out Kris Russell, right??

I know where you’re coming from but it’s tough to take out the League Leader in Blocked Shots. I think what we’ll see is Russell and Benning being rotated in and out. And, of course, injuries.

34. stephen sheps says:

Donye West:
    When Sekera is ready, you take out Kris Russell, right??

Woogie63: I like

25-6
    77-83
    2-4

Until 2 is ready to play higher in the batting order

Admiral Ackbar: I think so, but it won’t happen. IMO, 88 > 4.

If it were me making decisions, it would be Benning who takes a seat, regardless of the handedness situation. I really like Benning’s potential, but he hasn’t been the same player as he was last season before his injury.

My optimal lineup on D once Rej is back is:

25-6
    77-88
    2-4

My logic is simple: 2-4 had a successful season together last year and it makes sense to ease Rej back into the lineup with a familiar partner. 25-6 is possibly the meanest pairing the Oilers could ice, and Larsson gives cover to Nurse, while 88 could help steady 77 (who is admittedly looking better but not quite like last year’s model) the same way he calmed the waters with 81. That configuration, while not ideal based on handedness, ices the 6 best D on the team, and that should always be the goal.

The real issue is what to do about 62 & 81 as the team can’t carry 9 defenders. It’s a great problem to have, but someone has to go.

Trade winds? We wait…

35. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

They aren’t going to sit Russell in year one of a 4 year 4m AAV deal. No way. Davidson and Benning will be rotated out. Gryba and Auvitu might be waived or moved.

36. Offside says:

GMB3,

“Pretty wild, the difference between being from Ontario and Russia”

No one cares where a player is from. Peter and Todd are paid to win games. They’re both smart enough not to sabotage their chances at remaining employed to indulge in some geographical prejudices. If Tarasenko was a UFA and wanted to sign with the Oil at a discount, Peter and Todd would be happily drunk on vodka while performing the Kazotsky Kick

37. Washingtron says:

Only just finished the game (christmas parties are a thing) and was very pleased by a few things. The win obviously, but the manner in which they brought it home. How many times have we seen the team try and park the bus in the closing period with the lead? They kept pushing, and those last dreaded ten or five minutes in their own zone wound up just being one.

I told my wife that Maroon was gonna score after that beard pull. Sometimes you need one to go in off a butt, sometimes you gotta stroke another man’s disgusting beard. You just need to break out of the box your game shrinks into, and as crazy as it sounds, doing something unexpected like that pops the blinders off.

I don’t hear Davidson’s name EVER during games. Isn’t that always the sign of a solid D? I was not particularly excited to see him come back but holy mackerel he’s been a find.

Merry Xmas to ya all! Drive safe or take an Uber!

38. JD_Sigh says:

Walker on waivers…

39. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar: Roster freeze goes in to effect at 11:59 tonight – this includes waivers.

Having been sacked on Christmas Eve, with the boss trying to ask me if it bothered me being fired but I wasn’t…

Having had a landlord send me an eviction notice 2 weeks into the new year, with the pathetic reason they hadn’t done it the previous Christmas out of humanitarian reasons…I’ll be happy to see this landlord taken by cart to the guillotine.

Oilers looking pretty decent lately.

Looks like they’re finally figuring out how to pull the beards of their opposition.

Maroon hasn’t grown out of Elementary school recess.

40. JD_Sigh says:

Elliotte Friedman‏
    Verified account

@FriedgeHNIC

Walker (EDM) on waivers. Sounds like Sekera ready soon

41. Scungilli Slushy says:

I think McLellan wouldn’t run the three centres because not enough players were doing what they wanted to start.

Perhaps they would have won more, but how did letting the horses run wild work before? It cost coaches jobs and the team did not progress. They are looking for a style of play and everyone on board.

It is still a growing season as they said. Tough to take but probably will pay in the long run.

42. jtblack says:

Lucinius,

“. I wonder if teams might be better off if they clamp down on the players when in Vegas…” … This Narrative is Silly.

Have you been to New York? L.A ? CHICAGO? Montreal? etc etc …. Every city has plenty of trouble to find if players want to … The Vegas thing is a non story .. Perhaps the team is just good. If you watch them you will see speed and pressure all night long. Combined with good Goalering (*WG term).

43. OriginalPouzar says:

zatch:
    OriginalPouzar,

Is he “good”? Well, that depends on expectations. He’s played no higher than the 3rd line this year and is producing very well for a third line player. He’s generally responsible on the ice, decent in battles, makes some nice plays and can move to the middle/take faceoffs.

For his cap hit and his placement in the lineup, yes, he’s “actually good” – the only argument I can think of against that is if one can’t remove the acquisition cost from the player’s performance.

He’s a third line winger, getting paid like a third line winger and producing like a third line winger.

44. jtblack says:

“. It sets up a classic ‘chicken versus egg’ argument: Are the Oilers working better because of the centers three”.

Raise your hand if you thought TMac was going to go 3 Centres at the beginning of the year? Many thought so.

1) Team is harder to shut down with 3 C alignment
    2) 3 C alignment means 1 or 2 C get soft parade, and all 3 are capable of exploiting the softies
    3) 3 C means Letestu can slot in proper at 4C. 4th Line has been effective since this transition and Letestu has been better as he plays less

I believe you can plug and play wingers all over. The key is the C (outside of Elite Wingers). 3 C alignment gives this team a chance to scratch and claw back into this race!!

Nash currently running 3 Lines. RyJo, Turris & Forsberg all on diff lines.

Balance matters.

Early in the yr if McD line was shut down, we lost. LAST night was perfect example of the Benefits of 3 capable lines

EDM has 3 AWESOME C’s. this deployment is our way to Stanley

45. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Scungilli Slushy,

I don’t disagree necessarily about the long view you take. But in the NHL results matter, especially in the last year of 97’s ELC. The NHL is not a development league and the first third of the season was dedicated to just that.

It’s tough to throw away a season like that even if in the long term it was important to see what certain players are or are not.

Disagree that running Leon on his own line was not an option from Game 1 but that is just my opinion.

46. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:
    Bob Stauffer (@Bob_Stauffer) · Twitter

If only someone reported that info in the 3rd post of the thread…..

Just kidding.

47. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

jtblack:
    Lucinius,

Have you been to New York? L.A ? CHICAGO? Montreal?etc etc …. Every city has plenty of trouble to find if players want to … The Vegas thing is a non story .. Perhaps the team is just good. If you watch them you will see soeed and pressure all night long.Combined with good Goalering (*WG term).

These guys are pros. Vegas is well coached.

48. Lucinius says:

jtblack:
    Lucinius,

I have been to those places, actually (and I’ve commented before how most of them were extreme disappointments). However, Vegas is a bit different than them, especially if you have plenty of money.

Former players have routinely talked about the issue as well (TSN Overdrive has had dozens since the Vegas expansion was announced) and how they see Vegas as being different, due to the atmosphere and expectations of players, on the road, in a place like Vegas. Especially when it is ‘new’. Most players likely haven’t spent a ton of time in Vegas, except maybe the award shows (which, reportedly, have had number of players go a bit crazy during their stays there). The other cities in the league are old hat; players have experienced them before and we know coaches put a tighter reins on rookie players in cities like Montreal and New York.

I don’t think it is a non-issue, personally. I think some players will have zero issues.. and some will have serious trouble there, especially among the younger ones. Now, I don’t think it is a ‘Vegas is only good because players are letting loose to the nth degree’. I do think, however, that until the novelty wears off that it does work to the advantage of the Knights to some degree. The question is what degree that is.

49. JimmyV1965 says:

jtblack:
    Lucinius,

50. OriginalPouzar says:

JD_Sigh:
    Walker on waivers…

Good stuff but the question is the reason – is it to bring Slep back up or to activate Reggie?

51. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: If only someone reported that info in the 3rd post of the thread…..

Just kidding.

You’d better be!

You do it all the time.

52. OriginalPouzar says:

Whoa – Klefbom on IR?

53. natejax97 says:

stephen sheps,

I would try:

77 – 6
    2 – 4
    25 – 83

I cannot believe how much adding 88 has improved our overall D.

I would love to see this 7 man set beyond this year, with lots of 88 in the lineup. Interchangeable parts.

I know Russell was on his heels a bit last night, but the guy is a warrior and IMHO every team needs a couple blood and guts guys. We can spew on and on about the contract value and the length…but how about we enjoy the player, what he does bring, and the lunchbox of courage he packs every day.

Welcome back Davey!! We missed you.

54. Pouzar says:

Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) · Twitter

The #Oilers have recalled forward Anton Slepyshev from the Bakersfield @Condors, placed defenceman Oscar Klefbom on Injured Reserve & placed forward Nathan Walker on waivers.

55. Réal Goudenyéu says:

JimmyV1965: Vegas is good, but I’m still predicting they don’t make playoffs. They’ve had an easy schedule and they are going to run into some tougher comp the second half off he season.

56. Atc-Nate says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Atc-Nate,

Thanks for educating me, appreciate it.

57. Pouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Maybe Klefbom on IR could explain how he’s looked. I agree with you, he doesn’t look like last year’s version at all. Maybe now with Davy they feel they can afford to give Klef the time to properly heal whatever is ailing him?

58. LMHF#1 says:

88-6
    25-2
    77-83

That’s actually a good defensive group for the first time in a long damn time.

Russell is the 6/7 already, as predicted. He’s being hauled around by Nurse which is fine. We’ll see if the Coach has the gumption and intelligence to bench him.

Benning could use some time as well. He’s really making some odd mistakes and not being as offensively assertive as in the past.

I’m concerned 4’s contract will lead to a trade of a much more talented defenceman.

59. Dicky94 says:

Pouzar,

Giving him a good rest until after Christmas is a good idea if he is banged up. Hopefully not any longer than that. Sekera must be close as well.

60. Réal Goudenyéu says:

So this means no sek or klef on Thursday?

61. Pouzar says:

62. Pouzar says:

Dicky94:
    Pouzar,

I heard a rumor yesterday Seksy was good to go for Thursday.

63. vinotintazo says:

Pouzar: So what was Seksy’s original injury? Torn ACL? Seems a little quick to be back already no?

64. Dicky94 says:

Pouzar,

I’d rather they wait unti after the break but if he’s ready then giddy up!

65. Scungilli Slushy says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Scungilli Slushy,

I agree about winning. My take is on what I think they are doing. I’m on the fence about how I feel about it, mainly because Chiarelli was partly responsible in creating the scenario by which they chose to evaluate and hope the progression continued with the young players.

The progression has, but it didn’t start when the season did and now they are in tight. Of course the whole team was off so it’s not on the young guys solely. I lay most blame at Talbot’s start, solid goaltending would have helped a lot, probably kept them in or closer.

Russell’s contract really hoops their flexibility especially given – despite the coach love – that he often plays the least 5v5. Not ok. It’s less about the money and more about that NMC extending into Connor’s first big payday year.

Having to likely carry the two oldest D for one more season makes it hard to improve the roster without losing a good player elsewhere. My worry about Hoffman is it costs Nuge or Klefbom in some way.

It doesn’t look like not resigning Maroon leaves enough cap to add Hoffman without more subtractions. Maybe bridging Nurse and Benning, somehow Chia getting bottom dollar deals with the others. Far more likely it’s Nuge or Klef given the track record so far.

I’d far rather have a good centre or D than a winger long term, especially given wingers are easiest to break in and there is quality coming up.

66. Pouzar says:

vinotintazo: Original time was around 5-6 months, so if he got injured in may, that takes us to dec for 6 months. So right on time.

That doesn’t sound like an ACL tear though….aren’t those 9 months?

67. slopitch says:

Pouzar:
    slopitch,

Generally agree. Just wish he’d get an opportunity and run with it. Has had a few meh games recently imo. Cheering for him.

68. The Trade Guy says:

Pouzar: That doesn’t sound like an ACL tear though….aren’t those 9 months?

The report says he teared his ACL. There are plenty of examples of people coming back after six months with this kind issue these days. Although, I think it takes about 12 months for the full recovery.

69. Pouzar says:

“Edmonton Oilers defenseman Andrej Sekera will miss the start of next season because of a torn ACL, general manager Peter Chiarelli said Tuesday.

Sekera, 30, is expected to have surgery Thursday and will need 6-9 months to recover.”

Google is my friend evidently.

Hope Seksy isn’t rushing it.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

We know that Klef has been playing hurt since the first week of the season – both Chiarelli and McLellan have mentioned it (numerous times for McLellan).

My guess is that they are taking the opportunity with Sekera coming back to rest whatever is ailing Oscar as he could be eligible to be activated after missing only 2 games.

71. JD_Sigh says:

Pouzar: That doesn’t sound like an ACL tear though….aren’t those 9 months?

Maybe for Pilsner-guzzling muggles like us.

72. OilClog says:

With the big bucks coming in from the Athletic, and all the juicy articles foing to them, actually running ad block on lowetide.. Having to deal with pop ups at this stage is alil greasy

73. Side says:

OilClog:

This is a very bad take.

Not sure where to even begin with this…

74. JimmyV1965 says:

Réal Goudenyéu: They would have to be epically bad to miss now. That’s the nature of Bettman’s NHL.

Ya. You’re right about that. We will see what Vegas really is right away. Out of their next 12 games they face playoff teams 10 times. They don’t have any freebies and they have enjoyed a lot of those already. They play Tampa twice, the Preds twice. The two non-playoffs teams are the Oil and Ducks.

75. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OilClog:

I know right?

I want boatloads of good and free content my terms goddam it!!!

76. JD_Sigh says:

Side: Not sure where to even begin with this…

Pathletic.

77. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Pouzar:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Starts to make some sense now. Tough break but if he has been hurt enough for IR they should get him back healthy.

Good to have depth on the blue and Nurse emerge.

Next year the D if healthy should boast a great left side with 3 guys capable of being a #2D.

This D lacks a true 1D, either in the future or now. But by committee it could easily be better than the 06 Canes’ D and tbat was good enough. Spits.

78. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Yes. I just think that the Oilers’ great strength is having perhaps the best top 3 Cs as a unit in the league. So that is your advantage. Why play away from it for so long by making your Malkin type a long term RW?

Load em up on the PP but let your drivers drive their own lines at evens and find your cheap Geuntzels and Shearys to fill in the wings.

79. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Atc-Nate: Thanks for educating me, appreciate it.

I actually screwed it up by conflating it with the “trading a player picked up on waivers” rules

Here’s the rules on waiving a player picked up on waviers:

13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently,
    in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the
    successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled
    to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being
    asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative)
    and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful
    claim.

So WSH can send him down if they are the only team to claim him.

Here’s the trade rules:

13.20 b) A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another
    Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested
    originally and the offer has been refused.

Sorry about the original bad info, hope this clears it up.

80. Serenity says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Exactly…why would I ever pay for something that I can get for free elsewhere!

81. OriginalPouzar says:

Greg Chase traded to the Panthers for future considerations.

We just got our contracts down to 48 (likely down to 47 when Walker gets claimed).

At the end of the day, given where Chase was drafted, it was a successful pick – even signing a pro contract is a success for a 7th round pick.

82. LadiesloveSmid says:

Sail on Calgary Hitman

83. Elkhorn Boy says:

Pouzar,

This is something that concerns me because my 16 year old son just is in his last 3 months of rehab from an ACL complete tear. The surgeon told us emphatically that going back to sports 6 months after surgery means an almost 100% chance of re rupture. I know comparing Sekera’s rehab to my son’s is not fair but the surgeon said the stats show level of rehab really didn’t effect results much. For every month more of rehab the chance of rupture goes down by 10%. I got my fingers crossed… hopefully it is a better prognosis for adults….

84. Jethro Tull says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Greg Chase traded to the Panthers for future considerations.

We just got our contracts down to 48.

Making room……..?

85. OriginalPouzar says:

Mark Fayne assigned to the Springfield Thuderbirds which is the FLA AHL team.

I think that is a move to make room for Gryba – while there is no roster limit in the AHL, there is a max number of “veterans” that can be in the lineup.

86. Pouzar says:

Elkhorn Boy:
    Pouzar,

This is something that concerns me because my 16 year old son just is in his last 3 months of rehab from an ACL complete tear.The surgeon told us emphatically that going back to sports 6 months after surgery means an almost 100% chance of re rupture.I know comparing Sekera’s rehab to my son’s is not fair but the surgeon said the stats show level of rehab really didn’t effect results much.For every month more of rehab the chance of rupture goes down by 10%.I got my fingers crossed… hopefully it is a better prognosis for adults….

My niece is the same age and she tore both ACLs in separate freak soccer injuries. Luckily she was fortunate enough to have the Winnipeg Jets surgeon to do the operation and she fully recovered both times and now plays High School Volleyball and indoor soccer. She never went back to outdoor soccer. Both injuries were 10-11 month recoveries and now she doesn’t even wear a brace on either leg. Not sure if that is wise but she is tough as nails lol.

Best of luck on your son’s continued recovery. I know it sucks to see your kid go through something like that but he will be good as new soon enough.

87. Side says:

Elkhorn Boy:
    Pouzar,

I don’t quite understand this. If the surgeon said the stats show level of rehab didn’t effect results much, why does he then go on to say that for every month of rehab the chance of rupture goes down by 10%? Seems kind of a contradictory statement, unless I’m just not understanding correctly.

88. Woogie63 says:

Are we in the conversation for the team with the best trio centers in the NHL?

In the near term will we be in the conversation for the best trio of defensemen in the NHL?

89. Woogie63 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Mark Fayne assigned to the Springfield Thuderbirds which is the FLA AHL team.

Tough business on families …Chase, Fayne, and Walker all moved 6 days before Christmas

90. Visually better says:

Woogie63:
    Are we in the conversation for the team with the best trio centers in the NHL?

Not as long as Nashville is a team in the NHL

91. zatch says:

OriginalPouzar,

You characterized both Strome and Drake as third line wingers, and yet they seem to be playing on separate lines that are not the 1st, and not the 4th. Who’s the one playing 2nd line then? It should be neither, I’m ok with one of them, but not both.

EDIT: OK with one on the 3rd, but not both. I also am of the opinion that Drake is a weaker 3rd line winger.

92. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Woogie63:
    Are we in the conversation for the team with the best trio centers in the NHL?

Absolutely.
    NHL.com is not the best source for which players listed as centres actually play centre.

Tampa lists Stamkos Point and Namestnikov but Stamkos plays more wing a la Draisaitl year to date.

Pittsburgh still has the best 2. But if you go Best 3 it is hard to beat McDavid Draisaitl Nuge

Edit – did not see part 2.
    Dmen trio? Not even close.

93. Oilman99 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Don’t think Gryba goes anywhere. Still think he is useful against heavier teams likE LA and Ducks,Auvitu would be my guess. Let’s hope Caps take Walker back,that was such a waste of a roster spot, as there have been better pickups available.

94. russ99 says:

I think the aversion to running three centers had multiple factors.

– the coach not happy with many players and going with a sure thing in McDavid and Draisaitl
    – the stated objective to give Nuge an offensive push, and better wingers to go with it.
    – iffy scouting based on limited games in NYI (sounds familiar) to force Strome into a center role with subpar wingers, that he’s poorly suited for.

I also believe a call from above came in, to go to three centers and to stop the incessant line juggling.

Re:Sekera, nobody comes back from that injury without an acclimation and ramping up of fitness. I doubt we’re getting a 100% Sekera back, there’ll be ice time for everyone.

95. Oilman99 says:

zatch,

Stome is smarter defensively,and still adjusting to a new team after.being traded for the first time.

96. GMB3 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): This. Some of my biggest party nights were in the known party capital of Vladivostok, near the North Korean border.

These guys are pros. Vegas is well coached.

97. Oilman99 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Not sure the guy got a fair chance to develope properly in the system.

98. GMB3 says:

Pouzar: That doesn’t sound like an ACL tear though….aren’t those 9 months?

99. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

GMB3: I work with a girl from Vladivostok, and she’s one of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen. May have to plan a trip there in the near future

I stayed in a hotel room once occupied by Kim Jong Il. It was missing a mattress.

Only 1.5 hours from Niigata Japan by Air Vladivostok. You land in a field with one hangar though. Weird when it is as big as Edmonton.

100. Pouzar says:

GMB3: 5-8 I believe, depending on severity of injury. Full disclosure, I am not a doctor

Bro-Medical degrees work for me. 🙂

101. GMB3 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Not surprised. It was the city with the most beautiful women per capita I have been to, but it is a rough town. 65,000 Russian navy guys who don’t like foreigners meeting their girlfriends.

65,000 Russian Navy guys sounds like the type of place you don’t want to be causing any trouble at the bars. I do believe that is also where the infamous Mike Commodore KHL bar fight happened, but I could be mistaken.

102. wolf8888 says:

Oilman99,

LT, who would be a better pickup from the waiver wire in your opinion?

103. Pouzar says:

GMB3: I do believe that is also where the infamous Mike Commodore KHL bar fight happened

Shocker. Grade A DB.

104. zatch says:

Oilman99,

I think Strome is easily the better player. I think it really depends on his next contract. Does he realize he’s a solid 3rd liner type? Cause I don’t know that’d pay him much more than he’s making now, to be honest.

105. JD_Sigh says:

Pouzar: Shocker

Yup. Must be around 0.80 on the Corson index.

106. Elkhorn Boy says:

Side,

I think the jist of what he was telling me was that TIME was the most important factor not the intensity of the rehab. He said he had seen a number of re ruptures and almost always they were due to the fact that the knee did not have enough healing time. More time (he said 9 months minimum) and proper rehab will lessen chances of re ruptures.

107. Pouzar says:

JD_Sigh: Yup. Must be around 0.80 on the Corson index.

at least

108. Side says:

Elkhorn Boy:
    Side,

I think the jist of what he was telling me was that time was the most important factor not the intensity of the rehab.He said he had seen a number of re ruptures and almost always they were due to the fact that the knee did not have enough healing time. More time (he said 9 months minimum) and proper rehab will lessen chances of re ruptures.

Ahh gotcha. Thank you.

109. JD_Sigh says:

Pouzar: at least

And surely more than 7.2 Courics.

110. LadiesloveSmid says:

if Hoffman is an oiler before the trade freeze, what goes the other way?

Benning, Slepy, lottery protected 1st? Caggiula? Gryba?

111. JD_Sigh says:

LadiesloveSmid: what goes the other way?

Stauffer said that a pick or prospect probably gets it done.

From what I’ve read, Melnyk has some credit problems with the team and they lost money last season even though they went deep into the playoffs, and all the extra gate that brings in.

If they miss this year, the red is going to be all over the place.

112. dcsj says:

On a trivia note, I saw that Toronto had their 20,000th goal last night. Strome gets Oilers 10,000th on same night? TML is roughly twice as old as the Oilers, just thought the coincidence was interesting.

113. Thinker says:

flyfish1168:
    Nice to see the Oilers coming around. I do believe contracts, unreported injuries and sometimes coaches stubbornness is the call for how the lineup is made up for each game. I still believe Drake became an Oiler because he was promise certain conditions or he wasn’t coming. JP with bonus money hanging and no waiver concerns was easy totarget to start the season in AHL. JP until they feel he can’t get his bonus money he will only see limited PP time. Minor injuries are not known to us and this can dictate minutes played and last minute lineup. JMHO

Wonder what they promised Davidson or Walker. Drake Caggiula was not highly pursued. He is here because the oilers wing is that weak.

114. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Ivan,

Nice. I need to go back to Vladivostok again. Take the Trans-Siberian. Luckily with my photo career I can do stuff like that.

115. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– LT says: “Or maybe you feel Peter Chiarelli should have offered cover for all these youngsters and signed/acquired a veteran over the summer?”

– I’ve firmly been in the camp that Joki and the kids was the right move. I give Chia credit to boot for moving Joki for Cami, to shake things up

– We can only guess, but it’s possible that there was a tension between McL is win always mode, and Chia building a roster long-term

– We know for sure the results of giving Kailer, Pool Caggs Jar and Sleppy reps.

– McL probably wanted another established winger, Chia probably wanted to see what he had

– Jagr or another vet, he stays in top-6 all season. McL keeps Drai as winger, Chia says: coach up the kids, I’m not bringing you another vet winger

– Joki (then Cami) and another W: you have plus or minus what we have now.

– But that doesn’t give Pool and Kailer reps on top line, nor does it give Strome/Caggs/Jar/Sleppy rps with skill.

– This team isn’t going to win cups with a bunch of vets surrounding McD, Drai and RNH: they will cups with internal youth solutions, and a few vets.

– You can disagree with Chia’s moves, but I disagree strongly that he didn’t add more vets because he’s a sh%t GM. He didn’t add more because he’s an astutue GM, and building for multiple cups. And if you think he is sh$t for not adding vets, that was his judgement.

– Another vet on W and D does not change flu bug, bad goalering, bad sh%, injuries, bad luck IMO

– This was not a win at all cost be all in season: this was a if everything breaks right we could win, with what we have, and lets have some powder to adjust as season goes on, but lets see what gels.

– That’s how I saw it anyway, and I think Chia is right: internal secondary scoring, kids emerging, and a group that believes with the help of big-time coaching.

116. jtblack says:

Lucinius,

“I have been to those places, actually (and I’ve commented before how most of them were extreme disappointments). ”

’nuff said. I too have been to those Cities and had completely different experiences than you.

117. jtblack says:

With all the roster moves, a trade has to be brewing; whether its executed before or after the Freeze.

Dont fail us PC 🙂

118. Material pocession says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Couldn’t sleep the other night so I was bombing around the internet and stumbled onto your website. Spent an hour reading your Tokyo food review. Fell back asleep with visions of Tokyo ramen filling my head. Well done and thanks!

119. Material pocession says:

Last night was the first time that I thought Strome looked really good. He is moving his feet now and it is making a huge difference in his effectiveness. At the start of the year he was gliding and got into TMc’s doghouse. There are nights when he still reverts back to this but I think McLellan and staff should be given credit for coaching this out of him. The guy has talent and a good shot. Nice to see that his work is starting to pay off.

120. Side says:

Wow. Just realized Nuge is 4 goals away from matching his goal total from last year.

NUUUGE.

121. Scungilli Slushy says:

Material pocession:
    Last night was the first time that I thought Strome looked really good.He is moving his feet now and it is making a huge difference in his effectiveness.At the start of the year he was gliding and got into TMc’s doghouse.There are nights when he still reverts back to this but I think McLellan and staff should be given credit for coaching this out of him.The guy has talent and a good shot.Nice to see that his work is starting to pay off.

122. kgo says:

On Sep 16, 10:20am I said the following about Khaira:

“I’ve also seen flashes of small brilliance, little dishes, give and go attempts….I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people. Plus Khaira knows his physics and hits right through people…he’s a hellish forechecker and can back it up. He be a force in our bottom 6 for a few years I recon.”

Even a broken clock is right twice per day, I still have to give myself a pat on the back for this one…

Prior to camp I was very worried we would lose him in expansion, especially after they extended him near league minimum.

123. Material pocession says:

Scungilli Slushy: I noticed it a few games back. It’s not so much he is slow, but he rarely took more than a few strides. The faster guys have their legs going. Leon does the same thing at times which McL mentioned.

Yeah I agree with your take on Leon. It’s almost like they need to constantly remind themselves to keep their feet moving. It’s not easy to do because skating hard is so goddamn draining but it sure makes a massive difference (for Strome and LD). I really liked the sequence for Strome last night when he went in hard on the forecheck, laid a hard body check on the Sharks’ defenceman, then skated back and put himself in a great position for the shot that he rang off the crossbar. You can’t accomplish any of that when you are gliding.

124. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:

Dont fail us PC

I don’t think so at all.

Walker goes and is replaced by Slep.

Klef goes and is replaced by Larsson.

Fayne is off the Condors to make room for Gryba (when Klef is ready).

Chase going is probably related to the Fayne moe as FLA is involved – it opens up a contract spot.

125. JD_Sigh says:

OriginalPouzar: Fayne is off the Condors to make room for Gryba (when Klef is ready).

From Gregor’s twitter:

“We had an extra vet, you can only dress 5 vets, and we loaned Fayne so we wouldn’t have to sit a vet every night and also so we can play all the young guys now that Bear is back.” Fleming #Bakersfield

126. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, exactly – they are going to be getting yet another veteran so the yare making preemptive moves due to the AHL rules.

127. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

JD_Sigh: From Gregor’s twitter:

– Mark Fayne: full circle. Imagine if MacT had signed Larsson instead of Fayne…

– But I don’t hate MacT, his sh$t GM tenure resulted in CONNER FREAKING MCDAVID!!!

128. JD_Sigh says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: his sh$t GM tenure resulted in CONNER FREAKING MCDAVID!!!

I give the credit to lucky balls, but craigsonit did get them into the lotto range, no doubt.

129. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Mark Fayne: full circle.Imagine if MacT had signed Larsson instead of Fayne…

Larsson was never a free agent to be signed.

130. Melvis says:

Hey Woodguy. Just curious. What was the ice like last night.?

THe game seemed slow to me. Like everyone was skating on mud….but then I was on the cough syrup. Freakin psuedo- epi…

For the Athletic: Should the Oilers trade their 2018 first-round pick?

132. OriginalPouzar says:

For the Athletic: Should the Oilers trade their 2018 first-round pick?

I’m going to click on this and read it but I’m assuming that the body of the article is very short and contains one word, “No”.

133. Thinker says:

OriginalPouzar,

I cannot remember a high draft pick that this blog didn’t support trading this far from the draft. (Maybe the 2015 draft). We definitely would have traded Hall, Nuge, and the rest long before calling their names though.

134. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Melvis:
    Hey Woodguy. Just curious. What was the ice like last night.?

Yeah, it was chippy and looked slow and frosty.

Honestly I was pretty well into my cups by the time we got there and just added fuel to the fire.

Fucking Bendelson is a bad influence.

135. meanashell11 says:

You should check out Chicoutimi QC. They say there is something in the water!

136. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Thinker:
    OriginalPouzar,

Yeah, that’s not right.

The 1st overalls were never in play.

Most always like the idea of adding Good NHLers for picks.

Now that 97 & 29 are paid the dynamic has changed and a stream of good cheap wingers is pretty important.

Trading the 1st (top 5 protected) for a good young NHL on an ELC is something I could see.

Basically move the timeline of the pick up about 3 years.

137. Pescador says:

Thinker:
    OriginalPouzar,

People on this blog have advocated for that first rounded to be traded for years, true but definitely not a consensus. I have read excellent posts here, both for and against it.
    After Taylor Hall it was mainly because the team needed desperate help right now & fans were so sick of being awful. Hell I even railed on about trading it away last year because I thought it would push the team over the edge, needed a 3C or depth D-man. Although neither of those should have cost more then a 2nd.
    i would not trade next years 1st though, it might end up being a top 10 in a deep draft.
    There are a number of RHD with good to great offensive potential, and the organization needs a centre in the pipeline.

138. Thinker says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yeah, that’s not right.

The 1st overalls were never in play.

Most always like the idea of adding Good NHLers for picks.

Basically move the timeline of the pick up about 3 years.

They were at this time of year. It only changed once we won the draft. Exception being maybe the connor year.

139. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Woodguy v2.0: Larsson was never a free agent to be signed.

– Suck a dink! I didn’t say sign him as a free agent… You should be reasonably confident that I (and all posters) know the status of Larsson vs Fayne

– But imagine in a parallel universe if they could have “signed” him: you know through a trade or something: it was an observation, and your nit-pick added nothing…

– Or imagine they kept Petry:

– Signing Fayne, trading Petry, slotting in Jultz as Norris: so so bad moves

140. JD_Sigh says:

Fucking Perds. I mean, I’m definitely not cheering for the Jets, but fuck those guys. Seriously.

141. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Material pocession,

Haha. Thanks. That needs an update. Hopefully your insomnia is better!

142. anjinsan says:

LT,

Barzal continues to make Chiarelli look BUTT STUPID.

Please use your powers of persuasion to make it fan-base painful to Chiarelli to NOT trade next year’s 1st rounder.

143. Thinker says:

zatch:
    OriginalPouzar,

Depth chart vs. Deployment. They are both only 3rd line quantity. Or is maroon a first line winger?

144. JimmyV1965 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Suck a dink!I didn’t say sign him as a free agent… You should be reasonably confident that I (and all posters) know the status of Larsson vs Fayne

–But imagine in a parallel universe if they could have “signed” him: you know through a trade or something: it was an observation, and your nit-pick added nothing…

– Or imagine they kept Petry:

– Signing Fayne, trading Petry, slotting in Jultz as Norris: so so bad moves

To be fair, I wasn’t sure what you meant either.

145. hunter1909 says:

Maroon was hilarious last night. The clip of him bullying the feeble and humiliated Shark “star” was classic.

Add Lucic routinely chirping the opposition goalies + defence pairings all by himself during breaks is worth nothing for a Oilers team that never seems to get bullied by any other teams these days.

Add Kassian, Darnell Nurse and the opposition has to play nice, lol

146. flyfish1168 says:

hunter1909:

Add Kassian, Darnell Nurse and the opposition has to play nice, lol

With Maroon, Lucic, Kassian and Nurse this makes each enforces jobs easier. Our skills players can do their jobs knowing they are protected.

147. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

anjinsan,

Don’t get me wrong, the trade was a gamble (at best) and I felt/said so at the time but holding dear the preferred target instead of the actual/intended draft picks is misleading, at best.

And for the record, I’m on board with keeping the top three or four picks next year. We need to continue replenishing the farm system among the forward corps, much like ChiaPete has already done in goal and on defense.

148. OriginalPouzar says:

Although currently hurt, how good would Ryan Ellis look on the Oilers?

I mean, we passed on him to draft MPS.

149. hunter1909 says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey: LOL nevermind the commonly held notion that the braintrust was aiming at Erickson Ek and Carlo with those picks… that would derail the Barzal narrative.

cue: “Edmonton Graffiti” movie

150. hunter1909 says:

Looks like VOR was right. Oilers look like returning to their playoff form again with 5/8ths of the season to go; with plenty of time for the pretenders to fade.

Happy to see no one ragging Draisaitl who’s clearly injured and fighting through it like a champ. Even hurt he’s almost a force out there. Almost never a liability. He’s probably going to be great in the spring

: p

Talbot makes all the difference. Expect Oilers not bothering to find a backup to replace Conklin 2.0 Broissant.

151. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Although currently hurt, how good would Ryan Ellis look on the Oilers?

I mean, we passed on him to draft MPS.

Yes but MPS got a hat trick in preseason so Lowe+MacT, always hoping to accommodate the wishes of local fans decided to rush his development – until some bruising NHLer one night took a simple mean run at MP and effectively destroyed the player.

PS: Thankfully Yamamoto sucks so badly even back in the Dub that no one even cares whether or not he’s heard from again.

I was wondering what makes me not like small prospects and it comes down to Comrie, Omark, Gagner, Cogliano, Bergeron who of course created the single most terrible short assed player play I’ve ever suffered through in my entire life of sports watching.

It even helps with Gudreau in Calgary. I just tell myself he’s too small and then as he effortlessly enters the opposition zone time and time again my mind clouds over and I remember how Oilers had horseshoes up their behinds when it was time for McDavid’s draft.

152. Woogie63 says:

anjinsan:
    LT,

Barzal continues to make Chiarelli look BUTT STUPID.

PC ???

How about the GMs that pasted over that Barzal kid? Two years and 26 games later

Arizona, New Jersey, Dallas, Colorado, Florida and Boston 3x … must feel shame.

153. 99217 says:

OriginalPouzar,

How does Ryan O’Reilly get to #33

154. 99217 says:

Woogie63,

Batzal and Bear ran a dynamite powerplay…..wow

155. bendelson says:

Woodguy v2.0: Fucking Bendelson is a bad influence.

Ahem…

We are going to have to ‘agree to disagree’ on that one Darcy.

See you at the Chicago game!
    It’s a Friday night.
    Woot! Woot!

156. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

JimmyV1965: To be fair, I wasn’t sure what you meant either.

– OK – but I maintain my WG dink assertion, even if I was in the wrong!

157. Thinker says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    anjinsan,

And for the record, I’m on board with keeping the top three or four picks next year.We need to continue replenishing the farm system among the forward corps, much like ChiaPete has already done in goal and on defense.

Yeah, can’t blame them for not taking the player everyone wanted to trade for someone that nobody wanted, because they were going to make an unwise pick anyway. #lowexpections

158. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Most always like the idea of adding Good NHLers for picks.

Basically move the timeline of the pick up about 3 years.

– But what if that draft pick becomes Barzal?

– I kid, but this was the theory for Griff: NHL ready D, for draft picks: moving timeline up 3 years.

– The idea had merit, brutal execution and result

159. deardylan says:

GMB3: Mike Commodore KHL bar fight happened, but I could be mistaken.

Mike Commodore. What a character! haha

In researching him found that Mike Commodore:

continues to be the arch-nemesis of Mike Babcock on Twitter;

drove Uber so he could still be socially active and avoid going out to the bar;

A US president in a ceremony joked “I’m not sure what is prettier, the Stanley Cup, or Mike Commodore’s hair.”;

And he was thinking about taking the number 64 to become a real life, Commodore 64. Any of you old enough to know what C64 is?

PS. Since you were talking about most beautiful women in Russia. The most beautiful women in general I ever came across in my travels were Estonia (long legs of russian and upper body/face of Scandinavians) and Serbia. In Estonia they loved my Irish look and I was kidnapped by a beautiful lass to a communist style resort in the baltic sea, in Serbia they looked right through me and I had absolutely 0 chance. Never been ignored so painfully.

PSS. OP sorry you will miss the oilers game live while flying to HK and Macau. Do you promise to stay out of trouble in Macau that place can be TOO MUCH fun (Vegas x 10).

Hope its a family trip 😉 If not OP I am here to support you anytime if you need a friend to keep you on your expected/best behaviour.

PSSS. Where do Oilers stay in Vegas? I hope the coach keeps Oilers well outside of Vegas strip until after they secure the playoffs.

160. GMB3 says:

deardylan: Can anyone tell me more about that infamous bar fight. I couldn’t find anything about it.

Mike Commodore. What a character!haha

In researching him found that Mike Commodore:

continues to be the arch-nemesis of Mike Babcock on Twitter;

drove Uber so he could still be socially active and avoid going out to the bar;

PS. Since you were talking about most beautiful women in Russia. The most beautiful women in general I ever came across in my travels were Estonia (long legs of russian and upper body/face of Scandinavians) and Serbia.In Estonia they loved my Irish look and I was kidnapped by a beautiful lass to a communist style resort in the baltic sea, in Serbia they looked right through me and I had absolutely 0 chance.Never been ignored so painfully.

PSS. OP sorry you will miss the oilers game live while flying to HK and Macau.Do you promise to stay out of trouble in Macau that place can be TOO MUCH fun (Vegas x 10).

Hope its a family trip If not OP I am here to support you anytime if you need a friend to keep you on your expected/best behaviour.

161. deardylan says:

GMB3: My old man used to play baseball with his dad back in the day so I always liked him. If you are a fan of podcasts at all it’s on the first Spittin Chickets podcast with mike commodore, not sure which one exactly.

Thanks GMB!

“Spitten Chicklets” What a title. Haha. Listening to all his wild stories: no wonder why Babcock was scared of playing him and kept him buried in the AHL so long, he is a full on captain of adventure & mayhem.

Look fwd to reading his biography as he lives life so large creating new chapters everywhere he goes.

Found these podcast links: https://www.podcastone.com/episode/Spittin-Chiclets-Episode-8:-Featuring-Mike-Commodore

162. deardylan says:

Gonna Walk, Before They Make Me Run.

I was travelling back to the future when I listened to that brand new “old song” for the first time.

Did you ever see the Stones in Concert? Any stories from backstage?

These lyrics stood out for me:

“Where only a crowded room can make you make you feel so alone” -> thought of sold out quiet hockey arenas
    “I wasn’t lookin’ too good but I was feelin’ real well” -> thought of Keith Richard
    “After all its said and done, Gotta move while it’s still fun” -> thats why I am still here!

163. OriginalPouzar says:

I appreciate your concern but sleep tight knowing I will be just fine – life is too good to throw it away with a stupid mistake.

P.S.. The wife will be by my side the entire time.

164. deardylan says:

OriginalPouzar:

P.S.. The wife will be by my side the entire time.

OP, Wow have a great time with your wife!

165. Professor Q says:

hunter1909: “narrative”… Now that you mention it this blog does remind me of a High School English class at times.

cue: “Edmonton Graffiti” movie

“Your mother is a nice lady.”

166. OriginalPouzar says:

The Oilers game in Vegas is on McDavid’s 21st b-day and their last game before the all-star break.

Presumably they will behave before and then they have a few days off after the game to celebrate McDavid’s b-day and their winning streak.

deardylan:
    Gonna Walk, Before They Make Me Run.

Did you ever see the Stones in Concert?Any stories from backstage?

These lyrics stood out for me:

“I wasn’t lookin’ too good but I was feelin’ real well”-> thought of Keith Richard

Saw them live just once, October 1994

1. I saw them with my best friend from school,Terry.
    2. Keith Richards started “Happy” with “Here’s one”. That’s how many good songs that bad has, Happy is a freaking throwaway!
    3. Mick Jagger was 51 at the time and he was fire
    4. Charlie Watts is the best rock and roll drummer in history
    5. Jagger talked about running in the river valley and how beautiful it is at that time of year.
    6. Colin James opened, a guy behind me (we were on the ground, not far from the stage) was high and drunk and having fun. Sang along with all James songs, I remember being a little jealous about being that carefree (I was a new Dad).
    7. That guy passed out when they were changing the stage, never heard a note of the Stones. Poor bastard.
    8. The backup singers were drop dead gorgeous and fantastic.
    9. The song I’d long forgotten that stole the show for me was Monkey Man. Absolutely kicked ass.

168. Woodguy v2.0 says:

– Or imagine they kept Petry:

– Signing Fayne, trading Petry, slotting in Jultz as Norris: so so bad moves

You wrote:

Imagine if MacT had signed Larsson instead of Fayne…

Signing has much different connotation than “trade”

I was simply correcting the incorrect information.

I cannot be reasonably confident in anything and only go by what is written.

Your response is pretty strong considering what I wrote was a simple correction.

“Suck a dick”???

Really?

169. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – OK – but I maintain my WG dink assertion, even if I was in the wrong!

I would expect nothing less

170. Woodguy v2.0 says:

bendelson: Ahem…

We are going to have to ‘agree to disagree’ on that one Darcy.

See you at the Chicago game!
    It’s a Friday night.
    Woot!Woot!

I’m going with Hbomb as well.

Gongshowery will be had.

WootWoot!

171. stephen sheps says:

Lowetide: Saw them live just once, October 1994

1. I saw them with my best friendfrom school,Terry.
    3. Mick Jagger was 51 at the time and he was fire
    4. Charlie Watts is the best rock and roll drummer in history
    5. Jagger talked about running in the river valley and how beautiful it is at that timeof year.
    8. The backup singers were drop dead gorgeous and fantastic.

That show was my first ever real concert. My dad’s best friend took me along with several of his own friends. I was not quite 13 and the show was my Bar Mitzvah gift… Our seats weren’t the best (first row, but way in the back of the stadium, so the stage was literally a football field away) and most of Gary’s friends were smoking pot the whole time through. I recall asking what that funny smell was, and Gary sheepishly said “Mexican cigarettes” or something along those lines.

The way I see it, if you’re going to become a fan of rock music, you might as well start with the best. I hardly knew the stones at that point, though I was a Beatles fanatic and had already started to fall down the Seattle sound and Punk rabbit hole by then, but that show was my gateway drug, so to speak.

I also remember Monkey Man stealing the show, and that’s probably why Let It Bleed is still my favourite Stones record.

172. stephen sheps says:

Woodguy v2.0,

dear god, you, HBomb and Bendelson together?
    I’m frightened by the possibilities.

Sounds like a fun night will be had. Enjoy, Darcy!

(I miss HBomb’s cocktail recipe posts during games…)

173. Woodguy v2.0 says:

stephen sheps:
    Woodguy v2.0,

dear god, you, HBomb and Bendelson together?
    I’m frightened by the possibilities.

Sounds like a fun night will be had. Enjoy, Darcy!

(I miss HBomb’s cocktail recipe posts during games…)

Thanks Stephen!

Should be fun.

174. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Woodguy v2.0: I would expect nothing less

– I was having fun with you WG !

175. deardylan says:

Stones 1994 sounds like an epic experience watching the concert.

I was there too. Selling Stones merchandise. And with a story I have only shared to a handful of volunteers that fateful day. (cue Gilligans Island music mixed with Sympathy for the Devil)

I could only hear it through the air indirectly as I was working most of the concert.

I was at University and our student group was one of those chosen to help set it up and for the student group it would be a fundraiser.

I remember I got so close to Jagger earlier in the day. As I was working he walked by me and right at that same time the security guard pushed me back, lifted me off the ground and lightly pinned me to the wall–as I smiled at Jagger and said hi. Not sure he even saw me behind the giant guard although it was cool to be a meter away from him.

Afterwards ran back to my friends and said “I just saw Jagger in the flesh” while I was pinned to the wall.

Just before concert they asked a few of us wanna make some extra personal cash and work the merchandise area. Said sure.

They recorded how much money we had on us and said we would be frisked at the end of the concert if we had a penny more we would be in serious trouble. I couldn’t even steal a gummi bear from convenience store so I agreed and signed the contract. They gave us a type of gun holster with with big pockets to store all the money. At end we would empty these pockets they would go through merchandise sold and then pay us a nice hourly salary. All good.

People were buying a Tshirt for $50 and a leather jacket for sh$@loads of money. Being a university student I couldn’t believe the money they were paying for a normal white shirt with a big lips on it. WTF?!

Oh well all I knew is the faster we sold the earlier we could finish and get to watch concert. So I worked hard while the music echoed. We sold out 3/4 way through the show (YES!) and finally I got to see some of the concert although I knew almost no Stones tracks I could see the older fans were acting like teens and the atmosphere was FUN. Guess boys don’t grow up, their toys just get bigger and more expensive.

I helped my volunteer group, worked hard, got nice salary, saw a famous band. Perfecto! I handed in all the money, got paid and went home to sleep. It was a long day of work.

Next morning I woke up and went to clean my clothes. My pockets were bulging… and to my horror and shock out tumbled $10s $20s $50s bills. Somehow I accidentally put some in my pocket. They should have frisked me and I would have been in serious trouble. Although I had absolutely no intent–in the rush of working I had put it into pocket mine by accident. I was mortified and almost passed out I so worried.

I called my friends what should I do. I needed to return the money and had no idea who to call. Stones? Stadium? Would I go to jail? I was so angry and sad I had made mistake.

My friend said I couldn’t spend it on myself I must give it away to charity. The charity was the one we decided on– the volunteers in the student group.

That night all those who worked the day before as volunteers gathered and I brought them out for all you can party night tribute to the Stones on Whyte Ave. I paid for all my own drinks (as I couldn’t be cursed by this dark $) and it was a legendary night that all those volunteers will never remember.

Only Stones concert I ever went to and will never forget. Seeing Jagger and Seeing Jumping Jack Cash!

This story is a Lowetide exclusive.

176. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

deardylan,

awesome!

177. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – I was having fun with you WG !

Noted.

Although betting you were a few drinks in and let fly at me is also plausible. 🙂

Dear Dylan, GREAT story. I may have purchased a shirt from you! Sheps: That’s awesome, love you remember Monkey Man as a highlight. Amazing show.

179. Woodguy v2.0 says:

deardylan,

Fantastic

180. stephen sheps says:

it remained my favourite stones track for many years because of that show!

deardylan,

this is one of the all-time great music-related posts on the blog. thank you for sharing