Merry Christmas

It’s Christmas morning, for the first time in forever I wasn’t the first one awake and roaming. Mrs. Lowetide, who is the chef today (and everyday), hit the ground running with Ziggy chasing along behind. I’m up and the kids are asleep, and we’re having coffee with Baileys (except for the dog).

It’s been an eventful year, lots going on for all four humans in this home. My career received a fabulous push when my articles were picked up by The Athletic in September. It’s been a great experience and I’m looking forward to combining the article types you know with some new areas that will push me and hopefully interest you. I will also intertwine historic references into my work, something you’ve asked for quite a bit in the last 12 months. As a group, you are growing more nostalgic with age.

Mrs. Lowetide has been more active on twitter this year, and has yelled quite a bit at the television, too. I say this not as a criticism but rather as evidence should that detail become important for a future sanity trial for either of us. We will be married 35 years in May, I don’t really remember life without her. I outkicked my coverage, men, hope the same for you.

My Son is rolling along with his education and is a fine young man, I’m proud of the person he’s become. This week I haven’t seen him much, finished up some tests earlier in the month and has been playing a throwback game called Oblivion for several days on the Playstation (three or four, don’t know, they don’t tell). He could go several ways in his career, but he can write code like ringing a bell, suspect that may be his future.

My Daughter insists I can have only one sentence to update you, so prepare for liberal usage of the comma. I’ve known since she was under three feet high she was going to be a writer or animator, it’s her calling and she’s extremely creative. Although she enjoys working (and making money) I’m hoping the new year will find a new path that includes taking advantage of the gifts God gave her. We’ll see, I’ve learned not to push, but rather nudge.

Ziggy (in cover photo) is six now, she’s such a sweet dog. We wrestle (she wins, best 14-pound fighter on the planet) and then she barks at our neighbour John (who is such a nice gentleman, says “hi Ziggy” and she still gives him hell) for about 10 minutes. She’s been walking 5k a day since a puppy, we’ve found that’s a little much this year so we have curtailed it and often have two shorter walks in a day instead. Ziggy has really gotten into music this year, loves Karen Carpenter’s voice (seriously) and The Jam’s “That’s Entertainment” most of all.

We are well, and blessed for the things we have been gifted. We want to wish you a very merry Christmas and the best of the season. God bless.

PS, I’ll have a hockey post up around noon with some thoughts and the first of two posts from JT Shark, following up on his earlier piece. All the best.

55 Responses to "Merry Christmas"

1. flyfish1168 says:

Merry Christmas LT and everyone 🎄

2. blainer says:

Merry Xmas to you LT and all your family.

And a very Merry xmas to all the faithful who stop by here.

Cheers everyone!!

3. deardylan says:

Merry Christmas and Happy Oilers Newyears Mr Lowetide and Family.

You brought me oodles of joy in 2017 including sharing many “musical” presents and hyperlinks to new worlds and new civilizations. Oilers journey was part of the fun. Incredible how your passion for sharing brought so many interesting posters out to play including myself. Before this the only place I posted was my own site and Jammers Reviews. Learned alot how you foster community and I hope someday I will return to Alberta (left in 2000) and see you in person. You made a big difference to my daily life and made me feel connected to my hometown.

Thanks “Older Brother” as they say in Vietnam!

Merry Christmas to all of you especially OP who got me pumped each day with his enthusiasm for Oilers AND travelling the world and the 7 seas!

4. Snowman says:

Merry Christmas Lowetide and Lowetidians!

I look forward to this post every year and it never disappoints. I’m grateful that you and your family have had a good year this past year. I’m certain it’s entirely earned. And I’m certain you will deserve a good year next year too.

Merry Christmas to the rest of you lot as well. I hope Santa left something nice for all of you under your tree!

5. supernova says:

Merry Christmas and many blessings to you Lowetide and your family.

Very thankful for this community here, and your input into the Oilers community, you make t a classier & more respectful place.

Merry Christmas to all in this community here.

6. Scungilli Slushy says:

Merry Christmas all!

7. J-Bo says:

Merry Christmas LT and all who post here! May God bless you and yours in this upcoming year!!

8. wheatnoil says:

Merry Christmas, LT!

9. dessert1111 says:

Merry Christmas LT and all others in these parts.

Thank you for playing host and entertainer for my morning for the last number of years – one of the only constants in my day through periods of immense change.

10. frjohnk says:

Merry Christmas LT and fellow blog posters.

11. docweb says:

Merry Christmas to all Lowetidians!

Thank you Mr.Lowetide especially, for your never ending reasonableness and fairness, in a world that is increasingly unreasonable and unfair.

I love this site and the posters who contribute here.

Have a most excellent 2019

12. StixMalone says:

Merry Christmas to LT and the great people here on the blog!

13. dustrock says:

Merry Christmas everyone.

Have a peaceful time.

14. Harpers Hair says:

Merry Christmas Al and all.

15. Evilas says:

Merry Christmas All!

I went to a Church here in Putian with my spouse tonight, hoping to sing Christmas carols. It was strange hearing Once Upon a Midnight Clear and Hark the Herald Angels Sing in Mandarin. I tried to sing, but it was kind of like swimming against a very strong current, so I really didn’t get my singing fix.

Tomorrow we have planned a Karoake outing during the day at one of the half-dozen KTV locations in this smaller Chinese city (population approx 2 million). It is interesting that we can rent a room for 38 rmb/hr during the day, but at night due to demand it is 300/hr (exchange rate is about 5 rmb to $1.00 (Canadian).

I haven’t thanked anyone for their responses to my posts or for the interesting snippets of their lives that many of you share here, and of course our most excellent host and this mostly warm and wonderful place here that he has built for us. So to all please keep the stories coming (I can’t wait to read about your Sino-MP story Blainer), the shared analyses, the recommendations (btw the wine recommendations for Penticton were bang-on and I have been told by multiple beneficiaries here that it is delicious) and of course the opinions. I do hope for peace on this blog (aka calmer tits) and that we can enjoy the fruits of our shared passion of this team without getting personal.

I was raised to be respectful others opinions, I am hoping that the more opinionated folk can be a bit more forgiving with their commentary, so we don’t lose folks (such as GMoney, who I really, really miss on this forum, also a shout-out to OP for coming back brother! Enjoy Hong Kong and Macau-I hope to discuss China and fitness with you in the future). I think when that crap creeps in, it is extremely disrespectful to our host and it takes away from the excellence that is this blog.

So thank you all, I wish nothing but the best on not only this day, but every day and if you are unable to spend this day with friends or family, remember that you have “family” here. Take care all and peace be with you.

16. geowal says:

Merry Christmas to LT and all from shivering county of northern lights. Looking forward to a lazy day on the farm. Currently waiting to eat a bite and open presents, watching the moose across the yard.

17. geowal says:

docweb,

Planning ahead huh 😉 ? I’ll wish us a Merry 2018, then we’re covered.

18. Westchester Oil says:

LT – thanks for sharing your gifts with us again this year. I appreciate your intelligent and rational view of the hockey world combined with all of your wonderful human touches. I am grateful for the community that you have created here. All the best to you and your family.

19. danny says:

When LT does nostalgic pieces, I always read them in the voice of the narrator from the movie ‘Stand By Me’. Alway’s my favorite treat of this blog.

Merry Christmas all.

20. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Merry Christmas LT.

I’m just thrilled that your writing is helping provide for you and your family now instead of just feeding the insatiable Oiler content appetite of your large and somewhat dysfunctional blog family.

Merry Christmas to everyone in the blog family as well.

We’re all 10lbs of bullshit in a 5lb bag but it’s the most fun I have on the Al Gore.

Thanks LT for creating this place and maintaining it while your writing career takes you other places.

21. doritogrande says:

Oilers-Jets tickets for Wednesday night in my stocking today. The real gift will be getting to watch a healthy 97. The wife actually got concerned when he went down Saturday night, she knew something was up.

22. jm363561 says:

Best Christmas wishes to the LoweTides and all readers and posters.

23. HugThePost says:

LT, your blog has been a daily gift for all of us fans, so thank you.

Happy holidays to you and your family!

Safe Holidays for all of the Lowetiders here and Merry 2018!

24. Brantford Boy says:

Merry Christmas everyone!

25. Woogie63 says:

Merry Christmas to those who visit here.

Normally we would be heading north on QEII to join our family in Edmonton, in a few hours. However this year we are taking Grandma and Grandpa and smattering of family to the Rose Bowl parade … along with a visit to Disney, a Rams game and road Flames game. There is a different kind of excitement in the house this year.

26. Jethro Tull says:

danny:

Merry Christmas all.

Read them as Red from Shawshank…..

27. Melvis says:

Merry Christmas LT and one and all!

This blog can be more fun than a gunny sack full of Shih Tzus with my cat thrown into the mix. Thanks for all the great posts guys. And thanks Alan, for the opportunities offered a neer do well generalist with a penchant for the odd anecdote or two.

Cheers, and here’s hoping for a great post Xmas run for the Oilers, and at least as much for everyone else involved in this endeavour.

28. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Merry Christmas to one and all here. Thanks for keeping the passion going even in the dark days.

Mr and Mrs. Mitchell: thank you for being the best host ever.

29. Surrey Oiler says:

Merry Christmas LT and to all !!! Have a great day gang!

30. geowal says:

Jethro Tull: Read them as Red from Shawshank…..

Definitely all changed after I heard the radio show for the first time.

31. Confused says:

Merry Christmas everyone.

Got an Oilers toque, stoked.

32. bendelson says:

Just back from the dog walk… for those missing Edmonton today, it’s a balmy -24 with sunny skies and a dusting of new snow. Wish you were here.

33. marconiuse says:

Merry Christmas to one and all!

Daily reader, hardly ever post, but thank you to Lowetide for providing a clubhouse for all the intelligent discussion by the usual suspects. May you all be surrounded by love and happiness!

34. ArmchairGM says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Merry Christmas LT.

Merry Christmas to everyone in the blog family as well.

Merry Christmas to all!

WG, yesterday you ran some WOWY numbers to determine best lines, that was interesting so I thank you for that. I have, however, one further request: what are Slepyshev’s numbers with McDavid? Tiny sample size I’m sure, but I seem to remember them taking a few shifts together and totally dominating. Do the numbers back that up?

PS when will Woodmoney’s (puckiq) be available to the public for this season?

35. tubes says:

Merry Christmas to all.

Glad you made it LT. Subscribed right after the announcement. Enjoy reading those articles but this is home. Can’t believe how much time I still spend reading comments.

Cheers everyone, have a great year

36. Whatif says:

Merry Christmas to one and all. May your New Year be healthy, safe and prosperous.

37. Bar_Qu says:

Merry Christmas LT. May the year to come be one that is filled with as many good things as the year past & more besides!

Merry Christmas as well to all who make this a great place to wile away some hours.

38. Chris says:

Merry Christmas to you all. Congratulations to our gracious host for a very successful year, you’ve surely earned it. One of my favourite parts of reading your articles at the Athletic are the comments of new readers that have no understanding of the Lowetide lingo. I feel like an insider! Terms like “leftorium” that have newbies bewildered. Too funny.
    Anyhow, I don’t post often, but I read with interest all the comments. I feel like I know half of you better than my own siblings.
    From my perch to yours, God bless you all.

39. Bill says:

Merry Christmas Mr & Mrs. Mitchell & Family

Merry Christmas to all who are part of this wonderful community as well.
    May all of you have an excellent day and many, many more.

40. Bumblebpete says:

Merry Christmas to you and your family LT. Keep up the good work and don’t quit telling your stories they are great. I’m a tad older than you, I’m a 1956 model, however I remember the times you speak of.
    I have one memory of winter past that I would like to share with you this season. As a young boy my dad took me to the Eatons store in downtown Winnipeg. Gordie Howe was there, I believe he was a spokesman for Eatons Viking sportswear, I could be mistaken though. Anyways I was able to meet Gordie and I sat on his lap as he talked with me. It is a memory I will always have, that’s better than sitting with Santa.
    Years later I saw him play the Oilers at the Colosseum when he was with Hartford. As I watched him play my memory of him in Winnipeg came rushing back to me. Memories are so weird.

Anyways, merry Christmas to all.

41. Mantis says:

Merry Christmas to all! Everyone stay safe and have a great holiday! Let’s hope Santa brought the Oilers the playoffs!

42. JimmyV1965 says:

Merry Christmas all. Thanks for the many many hours of enjoyment you bring me every year.

43. hags9k says:

Merry Christmas Lowetide and family. Thanks for sharing the family update, after so long around here it feels like family even though I would walk straight past any of you on the street. I have to admit last night I imagined today’s post and wondered how you would stickhandle around the daughter update and hoped to hear she was finding her way. Bless that Al Gore.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all Lowetiders and Oiler faithful.

We are going to kick out some serious jams in 2018! GOILERS

44. Munny says:

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Allan.

And Merry Christmas to the Lowetidian diaspora.

May you all have a happy and safe holiday.

45. Munny says:

bendelson: Merry Christmas one and all. And as always, a special thanks to our gracious host LT, for creating this wonderful little corner of the Al Gore…

Ha! This put the cherry on top of the cabbage roll for me today. Thank you!

46. Oilman99 says:

Look forward to your articles every day, have a Merry Christmas.

47. Pete says:

Merry Christmas LT. Been reading daily for a decade; don’t think I’ve commented in five years, but I’m still here. Gonna have to buy myself an Athletic subscription as a late (Ukrainian) Christmas present. Best to you and yours.

48. OriginalPouzar says:

Christmas is over – it’s time for a 5am (late) Boxing day workout.

Happy holidays all. Hope everyone has an enjoyable and safe time.

49. NDOilersfan says:

Merry Christmas LT and all my fellow Lowetidians! I hope you have a blessed day! And thank you all for the wonderful Oilers talk throughout the year. I don’t post often, but I read and enjoy this blog every day.

50. Woodguy v2.0 says:

ArmchairGM: Merry Christmas to all!

PS when will Woodmoney’s (puckiq) be available to the public for this season?

We ran into a big snag with WoodMoney.

The NHL changed how some of the data describing who is on the ice and G had to re-write a whole bunch of code.

Couple that with G actually working for money again (the nerve of him) and its taken a ton of time to get on track.

We were hoping for a Christmas launch of Puckiq v2.0, but let’s now say “early New Year-ish” 🙂

As for Sleppy:

This year with 97:
    Only 7:24 together so half a game-ish
    1 goal for, 2 against
    19 CF, 6 CA for 76% CF

You remembered right.

Not playing much together, but owning the puck while they did.

They played only 21 minutes together last year
    2 GF, 1GA
    43% CF

51. Bruce McCurdy says:

Merry Christmas to all from Daylatedollarshortville.

52. 99217 says:

Merry Christmas Everyone.

As a cancer survivor every day is a little like Christmas Day.To those still battling,fight,fight hard.

To any regular visitor to this blog that works at the Cross Cancer Institute, you are a hero.

LT, your daily insights provide a wonderful distraction from the real ugly things that bring misfortune to some. You deserve the success of your recent accomplishment’s.

53. D says:

Merry Christmas LT and everyone. Love that dog!

54. deardylan says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Merry Christmas to all from Daylatedollarshortville.

Merry Christmas Bruce – Thanks to your Edmonton articles and Journal Game Grades that hooked me to follow Oilers years ago and then it led me to finding the rest of the Oilersphere, the blogs and found a nice place where every body knows my name @ Lowetide.

You were the supernode on the internet. Also appreciate that you are still active in this page too.

Cheers!

55. Alby says:

Merry Christmas LT and your whole family! Your writing is very unique, please carry on!