Oilers at WJ’s

Yesterday the World Junior rosters became final final, as the Russian team formally released its list.

The late addition of Samorukov gives the list some depth, interesting that three of the four men in the tournament are 2017 draft selections. Here are their league numbers:

• R Ostap Safin, Saint-John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) 33gp, 13-19-32 (127 shots) (.970)
  • R Kailer Yamamoto, Spokane Chiefs (WHL) 13gp, 2-10-12 (32 shots) (.923)
  • RC Aapeli Rasanen, Boston College (NCAA) 18gp, 3-7-10 (28 shots) (.556)
  • LD Dmitri Samorukov, Guelph Storm (OHL) 32gp, 4-11-15 (73 shots) (.469)

I  wrote about the WJ’s for The Athletic here, suspect this tournament will see Yamamoto and Rasanen in feature roles. Later today: JT’s Shark has his latest installment on European hockey and how fans see the game (it’s a fascinating look) and I’ll have a WJ tee up tomorrow morning revolving around two Finnish forwards who appeared to be running about equal as prospects in January 1984.

40 Responses to "Oilers at WJ’s"

1. Soup Fascist says:

Me waiting for the rare noon LT hockey post.

Merry Christmas LT and all the Lowetidians.

2. Jethro Tull says:

Well, no point in following the Russian, no matter how good he is, the organisation will treat him like shit until he bolts back to Mother Russia and the execs can say, “see, told ya.”

The Finn will get an inordinate amount of kicks at the cat, no matter how bad he is, because “Finns win.”

The Sceptic Tank (yank) will he plagued by “too small”.

Czech will always be first off the ice and unable to adapt to the North American game.

There, I think I covered all the biases.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Jethro Tull:

The Sceptic Tank (yank) will he plagued by “too small”.

There, I think I covered all the biases.

Samorukov was signed to an NHL contract shortly after the draft. So far, opppsite of treated like shot.

It’s up to Anton Slepyshev to earn an everyday spot on the roster and in the NHL lineup.

#freeslep is a thing but Drake is showing more right now on a game by game basis – he’s running with his opportunity more than Slep has since the playoffs.

4. Jethro Tull says:

See. Told ya.

Like Yakumov. Yakupov. Paigin. Etc. Etc.

Drake scores one goal in a game he played otherwise poorly, and everyone loses their minds.

Play your best players. Or you are making decisions based on things other than winning.

OriginalPouzar: Samorukov was signed to an NHL contract shortly after the draft.So far, opppsite of treated like shot.

It was a highly unusual signing for a third rounder as I mentioned at the time. He clearly has some fans in the organization.

6. Woodguy v2.0 says:

With JP, Safin, Samorukov and to some extent Rasenen being key forward prospects in the pipe I hope McLellan gets over what appears to be an “English as Second Language” bias.

Yamamoto and Benson will probably get more rope than Safin, Samorukov and Rasenen.

You can feel Sleepy on his way out and playing Cammy over him doesn’t make a lot of sense.

You have 1 year vets on the roster as fail safes and Sleppy deserves more TOI.

7. Jethro Tull says:

Just like to point out that I thought I had all biases covered. I never said they were MY biases!

Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals!

8. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0,

One possibilty is that McLellan may have a positive bias against guys that don’t speak English good.

He may well be giving them the benefit of the doubt; you’re not playing within the established coached framework. You don’t seem like an ignorant player, or stupid, so maybe you don’t understand me yet?

Jethro Tull:

Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals!

Haha. Good point. Your hatred of Laddy Smid remains your only outrageous prospect take.

10. GMB3 says:

Jethro Tull:
    See. Told ya.

Like Yakumov. Yakupov. Paigin. Etc. Etc.

Slepy’s first game back was awesome, he had a big hit on the forecheck and a high skill assist. The next game the fourth line has a quiet low event game and he gets relegated to the PB.

GMB3: It’s actually beyond absurd. Drake miffed the shot. It was just a knuckler. What happened to letting someone settle into a role on a line?

Based on everything we know, Slepy is not long for the Oilers. The coach had made his decision, we’re just waiting for the transaction. Pretty sure.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

I believe that Drake has received way too much rope early in his NHL career – the fact that he had a spot in the lineup (often a material spot) every night from when he got healthy last year up and till recently was an issue for me.

At the same time, I don’t feel that Slep has earned an every day roster spot any more than Drake has.

Slep has been the poster boy for inconsistency – taking aside the playoffs last year, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him play more than 2 games in a row where he was a material contributor. I don’t get the “#freeslepy” crowd out there.

Recently, he played one good game upon his return and followed it up with two middling performances. He was replaced in the lineup and the team took off.

Anton needs to earn his every day roster spot.

13. OriginalPouzar says:

I see Rasanen was on the 4th line for FIN at practice.

I thought he’d play a more material role on the Finish team but I’m just happy he’s on the team and playing.

14. Thinker says:

They should all be in the AHL equally.

15. OmJo says:

Is there a reason Benson won’t be on the Canadian roster?

OmJo:
    Is there a reason Benson won’t be on the Canadian roster?

He didn’t get invited, and also didn’t play in the Super Series leading up to it.

17. OmJo says:

Thinker:
    They should all be in the AHL equally.

I agree with this.

The last couple of seasons have, IMO, shown that a good training camp and preseason does not mean a player is NHL ready. Give them AHL time, and let them earn a roster spot playing in games that matter.

Then they come up and perform like Draisaitl and Puljujarvi have done. Or they stay up and perform like Yamamoto, Draisaitl and Puljujarvi did in their first years and we waste time trying to develop them in the NHL.

18. OmJo says:

You’d think 32pts in 22gp would have earned at least an invite. He’s 15th in PPG in the WHL right now.

19. OriginalPouzar says:

I was very disappointed that Benson didn’t get an invite. It was also very surprising to me as he’s been invited to every Canadian camp over the last few years, even when injured.

I wonder if turning down the super series invite played a role.

Either way, he’s healthy and re-established himself as a real and substantial prospect.

Can’t wait to see him at camp in the fall.

20. Ari says:

Merry Christmas LT. Thanks again for maintaining this blog. It’s been my go-to this past year.

Interested to know the community’s thoughts on Letang’s potential availability. Kypreos mentioned they’d want a C and winger. Chia was supposedly scrambling a few weeks ago, but why upset a good thing with 97, 29, and 93 dominating on separate lines?

I recall Woodguy mentioning early last year that he was one of a handful of RD’s that both played well against the league’s best and drove play, but he’s 30 and injury prone.

I’d be ok with giving up Klef/ Sekera and Maroon – as 19 is obviously not worth keeping after the summer, but I draw the line at RNH.

21. OriginalPouzar says:

In order to pay Letang, Nuge (or Drai) would have to go, no?

Letang would be great but given he’s oft-injured and given our salary structure, I don’t think I’d want to pay the acquisition cost and deplete the one advantage we have – the crazy center depth.

22. Woogie63 says:

The story is not even partially told on the young Oilers yet. By May Slepy might be the most promising of the young forwards.

A foot and groin injury should be completely healed…. fun to watch 58, 16, 91 and 98 battle for a more permanent spot in the line up.

13 and 19 are not likely here not year.

23. GMB3 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Recently, he played one good game upon his return and followed it up with two middling performances.He was replaced in the lineup and the team took off.

Anton needs to earn his every day roster spot.

I disagree. Slepy has had a tenth of the time Caggiula has had with skilled linemates. Slepy slogged it out on the fourth line and did fine, didn’t give up much. Caggiula has the occasional flashes of offensive talent but can be a liability in his own end.

We are supposed to be patient, that Drai will one day live up to his 8.5 million dollar contract, but if league minimum Anton Slepyshev isn’t creating chances with Mark Letestu and Zack Kassian, he should be press boxed.

Don’t see how the opportunity to make mistakes and grow into a role only goes one way.

I hope he gets traded and is given the opportunity to succeed elsewhere. One more nail in the Mclellan/Chiarelli coffin

24. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m not sure if the development and potential trade of a 3rd round pick that has never strung together more than a couple decent games in a row is really grounds for an extra nail in the coffin but we’ll see.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree that Drake has been given more opportunity and rope and probably doesn’t deserve that but Slepy, like Drake, is a fringe NHL player.

25. Pouzar says:

GMB3: Slepy has had a tenth of the time Caggiula has had with skilled linemates.

Let’s stop pretending Slepy and Caggs have had the same opportunity.

26. Pouzar says:

With Cammy and most likely Maroon gone next season, Slepy is exactly the type of forward we should be giving minutes to. We have zilch in the pipeline so it’s a no brainer imo.

27. Pouzar says:

Yup.

28. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t get the “#freeslepy” crowd out there.

You didn’t get Khaira either…stick with me little brother and I’ll learn you some stuff 😉

29. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

I will say this much, and I am not pointing the finger at Todd McLellan, but if Slepyshev were Swedish, Finnish, German, American or Canadian he would have been given more of a shot so far. The Russia factor works both ways, as players bolt for the KHL and coaches don’t seem to trust them unless they blossom a la Kucherov or Kuznetsov.

Slepyshev has size, a shot, KHL pedigree, skating ability, etc. There is no way he isn’t a bonafide NHLer. Start him on the 4th line if you must, but since Penticton 2015 he has been impressive to me when given the chance.

Remember how we were all touting MacT’s trade down to snag Slepy and Yakimov?

I don’t hate Caggiula since he was found money and he has a good motor and works hard. But ability-wise it is my opinion that he does not have the toolkit that Slepy does. And Slepy works hard, too. I do think the MSM overrates Caggiula by quite a bit. If he hadn’t fanned on his shot and muffed a knuckeball in off a gorgeous feed from Nuge the knives would be out for him right now. But he got 1st star and is the unsung hero for the moment. I am fine with the team not messing with success, but I hope that they do not cast aside a bonafide asset in Slepy in the process. If they need to keep Caggiula in the lineup, fine. But Slepy needs to be kept around, especially if they deal Maroon at the deadline.

30. SwedishPoster says:

Pouzar:

This is the big one for me. We will need a new rotation of wingers next year if they keep the 3C setup, and I sure as hell hope so, and wasting Slepyshev who has shown NHL ability although still hasn’t figured out how to put up points consistently is cheap and already a part of the team would be silly imo. Bringing in help from the outside or counting on Benson/Yamamoto to pick up the slack always risk being either pricey, a bad fit or a player in over his head.
    Sleppy hasn’t got NHL scoring down but he keeps up with the play, can cycle, doesn’t bleed defensively and has shown spurts of offense that suggests he will find the points if given a bit more room. He might never figure it out, but until he’s getting a proper chance, and by that I mean being allowed to have off games without being dropped, we just won’t know.

It’s probably unfair to both players making this a Caggiula vs Slepyshev thing, but the handling is so vastly different it’s almost impossible not to. They both have qualities and they both have shortcomings but one is getting long looks on special teams, with good linemates and maybe most importantly gets to play through several games of so so play without ending up in the pressbox or the AHL. Having some room to fail is crucial for a player looking to break in to the NHL, that is how you find confidence and consistency.

31. who says:

I prefer Slepeshev as well. Seems to have more NHL skills. Size, shot, puck protection, etc. Doesn’t seem to have figured out how to score consistently at this level. But that is true of a lot of young players and he certainly doesn’t hurt you out there
    No question Caggulia has been given a lot more rope. Hope the Oilers dont just throw him away.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, the organization overates Caggulia but not any more than the fan base overates Slepyshev.

Sure, less opportunity than Drake but his ES P/60 are among the lowest in the organization and have been through his NHL career. Yup, lots of 4th line time but Letestu and Kasian are both producers lately.

Not saying Drake is any better but I simply don’t see where all the Slepy love comes from.

He’s got the tools but so did JFJ, Chad Kilger, Josh Green, etc.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

There are plenty of forwards in the pipeline but there is a gap for next year.

Benson and Kailer are substantial propspects but should be slated for Bakersfield next October.

34. Extend Russell says:

History of almost every gm to date *
    Play the guys I drafted and signed
    Trade or waive all the ones picked and signed before my tenure

That is all

35. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar:

Sure, less opportunity than Drake but his ES P/60 are among the lowest in the organization and have been through his NHL career.Yup, lots of 4th line time but Letestu and Kasian are both producers lately.

He’s got the tools but so did JFJ, Chad Kilger, Josh Green, etc.

JFJ did not have the tools. Chad Kilger? Are you kidding me?
    But I agree with you that the fans overrate certain players. We overrated Martin Marincin, for example. But then again, it was management that told us Toby Petersen was PP1 worthy. Or made JFJ a first line winger. Granted it was prior management. We are all fallible and prone to our biases.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Chad Kilger was big, he was fast, he could shoot – same with JFJ, same with Josh Green. These are exactly what the fan-base describes as attributes for Slepyshev.

Just because a player is big, is fast, can shoot – does not mean he’ll be able to put those tools together.

So far Slepyshev has not been able to.

37. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar,

Let’s give him the same opportunities as JFJ and Kilger before we decide that. Kilger was an okay player. JFJ was miscast. JFJ and Slepy are not the same type of player. Slepy was a 1st overall pick in the KHL.

Citing JFJ as a comparable to Slepyshev is bizarre. But that’s just my opinion.

38. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m not comparing Slep to JFJ – I’m simply using JFJ as an example (just like Kilger and Green) of countless players that have “all the tools” but couldn’t put it together.

People like Slep because he has size, he can skate and he can shoot – well, JFJ had all those attributes as well and might be the worst NHL player i have ever seen.

Slepy being drafted 1st overall in the KHL means nothing to me. What was that, 6 years ago? It means about as much to me as Yakupov being drafted 1st overall in the NHL, nothing.

Slepy was drafted near the end of the 3rd round a number of years ago and, so far, he’s actually outperformed his draft pedigree.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he he has the potential to be a more material player than Drake Caggulia – he just hasn’t run with any opportunity he has received and hasn’t proven to be more than a tweener – despite his size, skating ability and shot.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

Slepy had one very nice year as a 20 year old in the KHL – he was also 5th on the team in scoring and had about 60 percent of the points of former Oiler Temmu Hartikainen (granted Temmu was 24 at the time).

His KHL performance from 4 years ago means nothing.

His NHL performance means everything and its middling at best and he turns 24 in 4 months.

40. SwedishPoster says:

OriginalPouzar,

I don’t consider skating, size and shooting all the tools, things like hands, vision etc are part of it as well, all three players you mentioned pretty blatantly lacked some of those tools at the most basic NHL level. Slepyshev doesn’t have elite playmaking skills, far from it, nor can he dangle like Eberle but both are easily NHL level. What’s lacking, other than in spurts, is results which ofc is what truly matters, but I think the reason a lot of people, myself included, want more of sleppy is that he hasn’t really been given enough of a chance to say that he’s failed yet the org seems to have put him in the freezer.