(Four) Buffalo Soldiers

The World Juniors get underway later today in Buffalo, with the big early game featuring Canada versus Finland. The Oilers have four prospects in the tournament this year.

• Czech R Ostap Safin, Saint-John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) 33gp, 13-19-32 (127 shots) (.970)
  • USA R Kailer Yamamoto, Spokane Chiefs (WHL) 13gp, 2-10-12 (32 shots) (.923)
  • Finland RC Aapeli Rasanen, Boston College (NCAA) 18gp, 3-7-10 (28 shots) (.556)
  • Russia LD Dmitri Samorukov, Guelph Storm (OHL) 32gp, 4-11-15 (73 shots) (.469)

It’s Russia versus Czech, Canada versus Finland and USA versus Denmark today, so all four men should get playing time during the first day of competition.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

1984

In the January 13, 1984 edition of The Hockey News, chief scout Barry Fraser was asked to list Edmonton’s top five prospects (in no specific order). He named Raimo Summanen (playing in Finland), Gord Sherven (Canada’s Olympic team), Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds LW Steve Graves, and junior defenders Jeff Beukeboom and Jim Playfair. He did not include Esa Tikkanen as one of the Top Five, but did mention him later in the interview.

• Barry Fraser: “He’s much the same as Summanen, I would say he’s ahead of where Summanen was at this stage of his career. He’s kind of a hard-nosed kid, too.”

First, the obvious. Esa Tikkanen, now as then, has never been much the same as anyone on planet earth. He is an original, and was a unique player. That said, in terms of being NHL-ready in January 1984, Summanen was probably the better fit. Long term? It was pretty obvious Tikkanen had the potential to have more impact. He was almost as good, playing in the same league while also being three years younger in 1983-83. At that point in their careers, both Summanen and Tikkanen were playing in the Sm-Liiga, Finland’s highest pro league.

• Raimo Summanen (age 21) Ilves Tampere 37gp, 28-19-47 (1.27)
  • Esa Tikkanen (age 18) HIFK Helsinki 36gp, 11-19-30 (.833)

Summanen came over late that spring, went 2gp, 1-4-5 in the regular season and 5gp, 1-4-5 in the playoffs (Oilers won its first Stanley that year). He had a massive impact in the 1981 WJ’s (7gp, 7-9-16) at age 19. Tikkanen came over the following spring, playing zero regular season games and three in the playoffs. He played in three WJ’s, his age 19 run (7gp, 7-12-19) slightly better than Summanen’s at the same age.

In total, Tikkanen played three WJ’s, going 21, 17-18-35; Summanen played just the one year. Point being, the WJ’s do matter—if a prospect plays for a substantial nation at 17 that’s a terrific arrow—and age is an important part of the equation.

• Dmitri Samorukov: 18 years, 6 months, 10 days (0 WJ games)
  • Ostap Safin: 18 years, 10 months, 15 days (0 WJ games)
  • Kailer Yamamoto: 19 years, 2 months, 28 days (0 WJ games)
  • Aapeli Rasanen: 19 years, 6 months, 25 days (6gp, 2-4-6 a year ago)

OILERS MONTH BY MONTH, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-0, goal differential +10
  • Oilers in October 2017: 3-6-1, goal differential -11

If you’re looking for a “Johnson Rod” moment for this season, October is a good place to start. Oilers won the first game and looked poor in G2 Vancouver. The month didn’t so much progress as unravel. The result was a hole the team is just now getting out of, midway through the campaign.

• Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2, goal differential -6
  • Oilers in November 2016: 5-8-2, goal differential -3
  • Oilers in Novmber 2017: 7-8-1, goal differential -5

Edmonton stopped the bleeding in November but couldn’t gather enough momentum to climb closer to “Bettman .500” for the year. It put them in a slightly larger hole, meaning December needed to be a strong month.

• Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1, goal differential -9
  • Oilers in December 2016: 6-2-4, goal differential +1
  • Oilers in December 2017 (so far): 7-3-0, goal differential +11

This has a chance to be a strong recovery month, the final three games of December holding great importance for the rest of the year.

• Oilers after 36, 2015: 15-18-3, goal differential -18 (33 points)
  • Oilers after 36, 2016: 18-12-6, goal differential +8 (42 points)
  • Oilers after 36, 2017: 17-17-2, goal differential -4 (36 points)

Edmonton could finish the month with 20 wins (would need to win all three games this week). That seems a distant bell, especially the 27th game in Winnipeg. It will feature an early morning flight on game day and the road team often has a more difficult time than the home side on these “return from turkey and family” games. More tomorrow.

155 Responses to "(Four) Buffalo Soldiers"

1. leadfarmer says:

For all of us far far away from Edmonton, where are we at with the Hoffman trade? How likely is that rumor?

leadfarmer:

Nothing in several days, will possibly heat up after the freeze.

3. Munny says:

Damn, they can’t make coffee warm enough this morning.

4. Munny says:

Did someone not work out that we have basically 16 regulation losses to spend over the rest of the season?

5. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: Nothing in several days, will possibly heat up after the freeze.

6. Munny says:

Lowetide: will possibly heat up after the freeze.

Us too.

7. trencan says:

Jethro Tull: Good, ‘cos it’s fricken’ freezing here. -38°C this morning. Hoffman for a 2nd and a prospect would be……nice.

8. trencan says:

There are some names I will miss very much on World Juniors this year. Especially Adam Boqvist, I liked him (also with Rasmus Sandin as D pair) on Hlinka Memorial. Still Sweden with Finland and Canada have best defenese on tournament. I will cheer as always for european teams and hope for scandinavian final.

9. Jethro Tull says:

trencan: I think the price will be much higher and thats the reason I dont like to make this trade. Summer is better time to make trades, not now.

I think the price for Hoffman will be higher if salary is to be retained. But Ottawa is looking to dump salary, not retain it. I expect an Eberle type deal where Ottawa get a good pick and cost controlled prospect and we get a genuine sniper and a $5m tab.

Get good players. At any time of the year.

10. Soup Fascist says:

Tough morning for Josh Mahura. I am sure he knew what he was getting into by coming back – but it is basically getting cut twice by a team he dreamt of making his whole life. Nice to have Fabbro back, but hopefully some good Karma coming for the local kid …..

…. wait, Mahura is a Ducks pick? Screw the good karma. 😉

11. trencan says:

Jethro Tull: Stauffer alludes to the price being reasonable. Many people find it hard to remember to include salary as part of the deal; in fact, it was a huge part of the Hall deal. Ray Shero stated that salary savings were the ‘second player’ in the deal.

Get good players. At any time of the year.

12. Jethro Tull says:

trencan: I always ask myself what would I do if I were on the other side. I would expect to ask 1st plus Bear which is pretty high price for us. And we don’t know what 1st means right now. Playing with 1st round right now is not best idea in my opinion.

Bear is a prospect that’s trending nicely. Would trade him yesterday for Hoffman.

The 1st rounder? Steep, but unless it’s top 3, then that player’s 2-3 years away from helping you.

If a 1st and Bear it is, then if they keep $2.5m, i still do it.

Don’t fall in love with your prospects.

13. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t see any Hofman trade that I would be on board with.

Even a trade that has a “reasonable acquisition cost” I likely won’t be on board with given cap implications starting next season.

I don’t think this winger is affordable in our cap structure at his cap hit and the ancillary ramifications of an acquisition would outweigh the benefit to this season.

I think management should realize that we still are not in a position to make moves for immediate help this year that create more issues and loss of players in future years. This wouldn’t be a move of futures out for a rental but I still see it hurting us in the future.

Further, this team is a good even strength scoring team right now. Sure, Hoffman would help the PP but I don’t think he’s worth the issues his contract would create.

14. Woodguy v2.0 says:

There has been talk in the threads about the inequality of chances that Sleppy, Khaira and Caggiula received this year.

I thought I’d “run the numbers” (I both hate and love that phrase) and see what is actually up.

This is just this year.

If I have time and feel like it, I’ll do last year too and then add the two. (math!!)

All 3 men are 23 years old and were born within a couple months of each other.

5v5 TOI with each center:

McDavid:
    Sleppy 7.4min
    Caggiula 60.1min
    Khaira 12.4 min

RNH
    Sleppy 71.9min
    Caggiula 55.9min
    Khaira 16.0min

Draisaitl (made sure 97 wasn’t on the ice)
    Sleppy 4.75min
    Caggiula 61.5min
    Khaira 90.9min

Letestu
    Sleppy 35.9min
    Caggiula 53.4min
    Khaira 54.4min

Caggiula only one getting any kind of time with 97
    Sleppy got most time with RNH
    Caggiula and Khaira getting time with Drai
    All 3 got some time with Letestu

I think its reasonable to say that with Caggiula getting reasonable time with on all 4 lines he’s recieved the best opportunity.

Let’s see how they did in these minutes using CF%:

You cannot use GF% or GF/60 here to judge, samples are way too small.

I think CF% will point us in the best direction given the size of the sample.

I almost don’t want to do Sleppy with 97 or 29 or Khaira with 97 and 93 because of no TOI so don’t read too much into those results.

I will put “mss” to indicate “micro-sample size” next to the micro samples that should probably just be discarded

CF% with the C’s

Caggiula 55%
    Khaira 55%

Letestu
    Sleppy 43%
    Caggiula 52%
    Khaira 56%

I think the narratives you can wrap around these results are compelling.

All 3 got significant (for this sample) time with Letestu. Khaira and Caggiula’s results are significantly superior to Sleppy.

If a coach is demanding a player play his way into the top 9, then Sleppy needs to help drive better results with Letestu.

You can say “JJ and Caggiula played their way into the top 9” with some confidence here.

The only C up the roster Sleppy has a significant TOI sample with is RNH.

His results there are not awful, but they are not quite as good as Caggiula’s (4% is a lot in CF% btw, although sample size remains an issue)

I think that if we just use this year’s results I can’t call out McLellan for favourtism against Sleppy vis a vis Caggiula and Khaira. He hasn’t been as good.

Caggiula getting so much time with 97 kinda smacks as favourtism, but that’s about all I can get from these results.

This doesn’t speak to the hole Sleppy started with in terms of his injury and that certainly has bearing.

McLellan is supposed to ice his best roster each night and in regards to these 3 he seems to be doing it (finally)

Note: Pouzar don’t hate me. I like Sleppy too.

Note 2: Nurse’s results from his first two years in the NHL were the polar opposite of what you’d expect with his results this year, but forwards at 23 years old should be more able to establish themselves. Like Nurse he still may explode but the odds are quite a bit less imo

15. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Thanks, compelling reading. Certainly is hard to get this ‘chicken-egg’ thing; he needs numbers to play higher, but he won’t get them unless he plays higher.

The Yakupov Conundrum. If it was an Original Star Trek episode.

16. flyfish1168 says:

I’m apprehensive to trade away any high picks in this coming draft. It is suppose to be a deep draft. For me the player drafted this year can be used for cost control when they are ready for the NHL. We trade these high picks it will be difficult to attain cost control signing UFAs. Mathew Barzal 20 years old from 2015 draft under control at 863,333 for another two years after this one is a steal. Brock Boeser two more years at 925,000 another steal from the same draft. As much as I dislike Tkachuk he is a steal at 925,000 from the 2016 draft. Mikhail Sergachev $894,166 from 2016 best cost effective player. This is cost control.

Re: Slepy. I could be wrong, but his handling this year has the look of a coach who has made his decision.

18. trencan says:

Jethro Tull: Well, that’s the problem; everybody wants a risk free winning trade everytime. Our pile of shite for your top end proven NHL scorer.

If a 1st and Bear it is, then if they keep $2.5m, i still do it.

Don’t fall in love with your prospects.

I’m just trying to think about our future. Bear seems to be the only D prospect in our system who I consider to have potential to be top 4. And he plays position with highest price on the market right now RHD. And we all know the price for Larsson. 1st round, it’s pretty deep draft this year so even if you have let’s say 8th – 15th pick it’s still good idea to trade down and you can have player of similar quality (plus the player/ prospect /picks from the trade)

19. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Jethro Tull,

He needs to start with driving similar results with 55-44 that both 91 and 16 did imo. He hasn’t done that.

20. Professor Q says:

trencan: I’m just trying to think about our future. Bear seems to be the only D prospect in our system who I consider to have potential to be top 4. And he plays position with highest price on the market right now RHD. And we all know the price for Larsson. 1st round, it’s pretty deep draft this year so even if you have let’s say8th – 15th pick it’s still good idea to trade down and you can have player of similar quality (plus the player/ prospect /picks from the trade)

Plus, any non-playoff pick could end up in the Top 3.

Makes them worth more, or should.

safin scored.

22. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– I hope we get Hoffman, for picks and B prospect: if only to demonstrate that the market for scoring wingers with term isn’t that great.

– If that happens, maybe another way of showing that Chia isn’t sh$t….

– On paper, I think Hoffman, a shoot-first winger could work with any of our centres

– Oil would have to figure out if they could afford him long-term (5 mm cap).

– Or would they rather Maroon at say $4MM?

– If they thought he made more sense than Marron: you could trade him, who is cheap, Slepy who is cheap, and a 2-rounder? That cap committement is worth a lot for Ottawa to dump IMO

– I just hope it isn’t: get Hoffman, trade away RNH in off-season.

23. GMB3 says:

Woodguy v2.0,

IMO hasn’t had the opportunity to string together consistent playing time plays a big role, and battling ijury.

Safin scored

24. Brantford Boy says:

Safin scores… 2-1 CZE’s

25. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Jethro Tull,

He needs to start with driving similar results with 55-44 that both 91 and 16 did imo.He hasn’t done that.

26. Scungilli Slushy says:

Munny:

I said that. You could fudge with Bettmans a bit, but that’s about the margin for fails. Basically an average of 2/3 wins to run out.

Does this suggest they are more, or less likely to look for reinforcements? I say more likely. This season hangs on such a fine thread, this little run saved the season as of now.

I don’t think jobs are greatly in peril but they will want to do everything possible to get in. A miss, and a bad day for Katz and anything could happen, questions start getting asked, say a good coach shakes loose.

27. John Chambers says:

Jethro Tull,

So Hoffman replaces which of Lucic, Maroon, or Khaira?

Our need (may) be at RW. The best outcome for a trade is if we can upgrade Caggiula or Strome, which is absurd because we just downgraded to Strome.

28. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Note: Pouzar don’t hate me. I like Sleppy too.

Not a single mention of PP time?

29. Jethro Tull says:

John Chambers:
    Jethro Tull,

So Hoffman replaces which of Lucic, Maroon, or Khaira?

I would suggest that a Hoffman trade would mean that Maroon isn’t getting signed, probably traded at deadline. Hoffman is a better player than Maroon, and I’m a Big Rig fan (cue ‘Intangibles’ replies).

Word is on tje street is that Maroon wants to stay and that negotiations started well but have cooled off recently.

Get good players. Swap them for better ones.

30. Pouzar says:

If Hoffman comes in you have to think Maroon/Letestu/Cammy are gone next yr?
    We can’t trade Nuge.

31. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

John Chambers:
    Jethro Tull,

So Hoffman replaces which of Lucic, Maroon, or Khaira?

– I think if they like Hoffman more than Maroon, they try to do a deal that involves Maroon: basically a shoot first guy for a be in front of net guy. Front of net guys are not as rare as shooters

– Depends I guess on salary. Maroon will probably be asking Hoffman money ($5MM?)

– McD is fine without Maroon. RNH is stepping up with whatever leftovers.

– I see Hoffman as a “harder” version of Ebs. Hoffman is at least as good a scorer, but does more, and he’s $1MM cheaper:

Hall > Hoffman > Ebs

32. Jethro Tull says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

McDavid is dine without Maroon.

Hoffman seems fine without McDavid.

Maroon is a useful NHL player.

33. Surrey Oiler says:

When is the trade freeze over? Hoping everyone is having a great Boxing Day!

34. Woodguy v2.0 says:

GMB3:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Safin scored

I agree with that.

35. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar: Not a single mention of PP time?

Not when analyzing 5v5 results.

36. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Jethro Tull: He sure does. But it’s a nice problem to have. Guys who can’t make the team because others are playing well, instead of “let’s try this guy, he can’t be any worse.”…….Music!

Not a Lennart Petrell in the bunch!

37. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Surrey Oiler:
    When is the trade freeze over? Hoping everyone is having a great Boxing Day!

12:01am December 28th.

Thursday.

38. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar:
    If Hoffman comes in you have to think Maroon/Letestu/Cammy are gone next yr?
    We can’t trade Nuge.

Maroon.

Hoffman is a LW so its makes sense.

Maroon can be part of the trade to OTT as he’s worth a 2nd or 3rd.

Samorukov’s skating is free and easy.

Safin with an assist, now 1-1-2 on the day.

41. John Chambers says:

I think trading Maroon + a 1st, or Khaira + a 1st are fair deals, and I’m fine with the long-term pain of surrendering a 1st rounder and a value contract for the upgrade in the here and now.

But it’d be preferable if Ottawa was willing to retain $1-$2M in salary. Hoffman at, say $4.2M until 2020 is far more attractive to the Oilers budget than Hoffman at $5.2M.

42. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Not when analyzing 5v5 results.

If you think both players have been afforded the same opportunity based on those 5 v 5 numbers then we’ll agree to disagree here.

You always talk about context when looking at numbers. One of these players has been healthy scratched repeatedly, sent up and down between AHL/NHL never knowing if this game would be his last. I don’t think Caggs has ever had to worry about being in the lineup in much the same way. Then there’s the PP time. Don’t know the exact numbers in front of me but I will imagine Caggs holds a huge advantage here.

I think it’s also poor asset management since we are going to need cheap wingers with the McD contract kicking in an Maroon/Cammy/Letestu all becoming FAs.

I agree with LT. The coach has made his decision on this player so it’s moot right now.

43. Pouzar says:

Safin with an assist, now 1-1-2 on the day.

That was gorgeous Neutral Zone pass by Safin. Thx for noticing Ray.

44. John Chambers says:

Here’s my hypothetical Team Canada Olympic roster. In drafting it I’m now sad I won’t ever get to see this team play:

MacKinnon – Crosby – McDavid
    Seguin – Tavares – Stamkos
    Hall – Getzlaf – Stone
    Toews – Scheifele – Marchand
    Bailey – Bergeron

Keith – Doughty
    Giordano – Subban
    Rielly – Pietrangelo
    Parayko

Holtby – Price – Murray

45. Jethro Tull says:

John Chambers,

Khaira is trending into one of thise value contracts you need when you have two mega-contracts.

Maroon is gonna wanna get paid…..and I’d feel happier giving that money to Hoffman.

46. Jethro Tull says:

John Chambers,

Switch Tavares with McDavid and I think you’re onto something!

47. Pouzar says:

That Safin pass.

Steve Kournianos‏
    @TheDraftAnalyst
    Follow Follow @TheDraftAnalyst

#WJC: Oilers got themselves a gem in PF Ostap Safin, who for a big man has incredibly soft hands & is strong on breakouts. Here is makes the play in his own end, hits Marek Zachar in stride, and C Filip Chyil (NYR) cleans up the rebound.

48. flyfish1168 says:

John Chambers:

MacKinnon – Crosby – McDavid
    Seguin – Tavares – Stamkos
    Hall – Getzlaf – Stone
    Toews – Scheifele – Marchand
    Bailey – Bergeron

Keith – Doughty
    Giordano – Subban
    Rielly – Pietrangelo
    Parayko

Holtby – Price – Murray

I like your list and forward lines. But it’s difficult to see Gio over Burns and Letang. But if you were concern over the righty-lefty handiness I would then look at Jake Muzzin, quietly having an awesome season and better than Gio. JMHO

49. Surrey Oiler says:

Woodguy v2.0: 12:01am December 28th.

Thursday.

Thank you!

50. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Further to the post above:

Sleppy, Caggiula and Khaira in 16/17 with various C’s.

I know Caggiula strangely played C for a big part and that’s reflected in his TOI with the other C’s.

Khaira had so little time with anyone outside of 55 I’m not including him with the other 3 C’s. He had 4 minutes with 97, 2 with RNH and 1.5 with Drai.

Like above, for “with Drai” I am making sure 97 isn’t on the ice.

TOI with the C’s

Sleppy 46%
    Caggiula 45%

With Letestu
    Sleppy 46%
    Caggiula 46%
    Khaira 53%

Caggiula is better with 97, Sleppy is better with RNH, tied via Drai and Khaira wins the Letesu Wars.

51. Pescador says:

Mike Hoffman – 9 goals, 15 apples. $5.2 Mil
    Patty Maroon – 9 goals 11 apples. $1.5 Mil
    Intangibles IMO;
    Maroon>Hoffman
    Wanna make the club better now, Is the 2019 first too much for Hoffman?

52. geowal says:

One thing on this Slepy debate, as it is seen as him vs Caggs (and Khaira). But really the roster spot preventing a full test drive of Slepy is Cammalleri. He’s been decent granted, but he’s really just playing because:veteran. The only thing justifying keeping him in is that there’s still faint playoff hope.

And maybe Tmac is just fed up with his sideburns for some reason.
    Watched that episode last night incidentally, hehe.

53. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar,

I explicitly wrote the opposite when I wrote this:

and this:

Also,

Sure.

I can’t write an encyclopedia for every post though.

I did write this:

and Slepy played exactly 1 AHL games.

We also cannot be sure how many scratches are due to being banged up and how many are real HS.

Also, Caggiula has played 25/36 games this year, Sleppy has played 15/36.

While Caggiula has played more, he hasn’t been an “everyday” player and has been scratched as well.

Also,

I agree with that.

Also,

I think it was more up in the air at the beginning of the year, but its pretty well a done deal now.

54. geowal says:

Pouzar,

Know what number satin and samorukov are? Just joining festivities

55. trencan says:

Wow, Czechs embarassing Russia, they have really poor team this year.

geowal:
    Pouzar,

Know what number satin and samorukov are? Just joining festivities

27 and 25. Haven’t seen Safin much in this period.

57. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pescador:
    Mike Hoffman – 9 goals, 15 apples. $5.2 Mil
    Patty Maroon –9 goals 11 apples.$1.5 Mil
    Intangibles IMO;
    Maroon>Hoffman
    Wanna make the club better now, Is the 2019 first too much for Hoffman?

Last 4 years:

Hoffman 91 goals in 265 gp for 0.34
    Maroon 48 goals in 189 gp for 0.24

Last 4 years goals:
    14/15 – 27
    15/16 – 29
    16/17 – 26
    17/18 – 9

14/15 – 4
    15/16 – 8
    16/17 – 27
    17/1 – 9

SH% last 4 years (all situations)

14/15 – 13.6%

16/17 – 7.3
    17/18 – 8.5

14/15 – 7.2
    15/16 – 6.6
    16/17 – 7.4
    17/18 – 8.5

It looks to me that Hoffman is having an off years SH% wise, much like Eberle did last year.

Hoffman has a better history of goal scoring and Maroon’s 16/17 is a huge outlier in terms of SH%.

Neither is a volume shooter 5v5, and I’d prefer more shots from both although Hoffman has a better history there.

I wonder if he’s playing hurt?

His goal volume, even with Pageau and Pyatt as C’s is below (by half in spots) his previous years when playing with the same players.

Edit:

Also,

Pentalties taken – Penalties Drawn

14/15 : +2
    15/16: +5
    16/17: -10
    17/18: +1

14/15: -9
    15/16: -6
    16/17: -7
    17/18: -9

For a team that isn’t good on the PK, that’s important information.

58. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Why you hate Slepy bro?

59. BONE207 says:

Merry Christmas, happy holidays and a super 2018 to everyone here, especially LT.
    I’ve literally had liquor coursing through my veins for 3 days straight between hosting and attending dinners. No wonder I’m bent out of shape. As others here, I spend lots of time reading and plenty of laughs due to the range of characters that comment. From our insightful host, mathy geniuses like WG & G$, extraordinary like VOR, to down to earth and truly hilarious faves like Pouzar, Chachi & Jethro among the many, I may never recover the hours spent but I’m a happier person for it. Go Oilers…

60. Pouzar says:

For the guru’s…are the Czechs supposed to be winning this game?

EDIT: Not for long? 5-4

61. Jethro Tull says:

To whoever suggested reverse-sear method the other day for prime rib, thanks. Mission accomplished, won’t do it any other way.

Just like I will never do a turkey without brining.

62. jtblack says:

Woodguy v2.0,

even with Pageau and Pyatt as C’s ****

I think Hoffman has more upside than Maroon. Reasons:

1) He has a better history of scoring
    2) everyone is Ott is down this yr
    3) Look at the C’s he has played with.

Your analogy to Ebs is perfect. I think Hoffman could be a 30 G man for 2 or 3 yrs with McD Drai or RNH as his C.

With Khaira and Lucic on the left side, I would invite a Hoffman type.

63. Pouzar says:

Off to da Spengler till World Jr starts up again.

Looks like the Cylons 1 Storm Troopers 0 late in the 1st period.

64. Pouzar says:

BONE207:

Kind words. Love me a good Boner post too!

Keep er flowin. It’s a minor miracle I escaped a hangover today.

Pouzar:
    Off to da Spengler till World Jr starts up again.

Looks like the Cylons 1 Storm Troopers 0 late in the 1st period.

Haha. Apt and hilarious description of these Spengler outfits.

Pouzar:
    For the guru’s…are the Czechs supposed to be winning this game?

EDIT: Not for long? 5-4

67. Pouzar says:

Jethro Tull: To whoever suggested reverse-sear method the other day for prime rib, thanks.

That was Stephen S!

Thx buddy…worked out awesome!

68. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Czechs were expected to do better than usual and you really don’t know with the Russians year to year. That said, it was an upset for sure.

No sign of Marc Pouliot. 🙂

EDIT: Would you take Curtis Hamilton instead?

69. who says:

Pouzar:
    That Safin pass.

Steve Kournianos‏
    @TheDraftAnalyst
    Follow Follow @TheDraftAnalyst

He’s a big kid. Seems to be a decent skater with decent hands but certainly not dominating at this level. I question his compete level. Seems like a bit of a floater and is slow to read and react to the play. Maybe that will improve with experience but he is a long way from a sure thing.

Curtis Hamilton just scored for Canada at the Spengler.

71. Pouzar says:

who: I am not quite as bullish. It was a nice pass through the neutral zone but that might be the only play he made all game.

OP has the pulse on this guy. I try not to get excited about young prospects especially when I don’t get to watch.

72. Pouzar says:

EDM Prospect Watch

@EDProspectWatch
    10m10 minutes ago
    Ostap Safin opens his tourney with 1G 1A. He was force for the Czechs today. Used his size and speed well all game, threw some big hits. Excellent start for him.

73. Thinker says:

I just feel bad for Slepy. He should be leading candidate for the Art Ross right now, but the team is treating him like a borderline NHL player. I really think he was a strong candidate to score 30 points in a season for the first time since Bantam. Not hyperbole, he was 15 when we first started getting data on this. (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=117748) There are quite a few borderline NHLers playing with us right now, and I don’t really feel sorry that one is being pushed down the depth chart in favour of another. This isn’t a legit player like Davidson, this is a guy who could maybe play 3/4 line after more AHL seasoning to become half decent defensively.

I also think the Oilers have been managing waivers with him all season.

74. Edmonton_fan says:

Why do I not remember Raimo Summanen??? His PPG was impressive when the Oilers won their first Stanley Cup year, but he played only 2 games… A PPG in the playoffs – yet only 5 games. Hmmm…

I do know we partied on Jasper Avenue after winning the Cup & a friend had his foot run over by a car trying to escape the mob walking over vehicles trapped on Jasper Avenue… LOL

75. Thinker says:

Curtis Hamilton just scored for Canada at the Spengler.

The 2010 draft was awesome.

76. Pouzar says:

Thinker,

A feeling of terror came over me for a second there.

PHEW.

77. slopitch says:

Can Hoffman kill penalties? Does he add to team speed?

I like him better then Maroon but I’m not a fan of giving up Maroon plus a 1st for Hoffman. For 2 reasons 1) it’s still risky to move the 1st 2) Maroon can play with 97. That’s not always easy to do and has value.

1sts are worth (we all see Barzal and cringe) so much and I think the oilers need to add without subtracting.

78. SwedishPoster says:

Think both Safin and Samorukov looked good. Safin more of an impact and looked dangerous everytime he had the puck under control.

Sweden with an unfocused first period. What has Buffalo done with Alex Nylander? He looks like crap, granted he’s been injured, but he’s been back for a few weeks now. Should be somewhat back on track.

Filip Berglund only played 7:52 in the SHL, was sat from the middle of the second period, didn’t see the game but don’t think he got injured. Took two penalties in his limited time so might just have been a rough night.

79. Scungilli Slushy says:

Hoffman eats up all the bonus cushion if the salary swap isn’t close, I don’t know how much they can gamble. McD will max at just under 3M, if Nurse and JP finish hot Hoffman might put them under water.

I have concerns about him. He may have peaked offensively already, he’s 29 next season. He’s not big and apparently not a two way type. Not a burner. For me his offense isn’t enough to compensate at that salary . He’s Eberle LW, it doesn’t make sense that if Eberle wasn’t good enough Hoffman is.

I think Maroon at 3-4 x 3 if possible is far better.

So it’ll be Slepy, Maroon and a first.

80. Alpine says:

slopitch:
    Can Hoffman kill penalties? Does he add to team speed?

We should be trying to trade for guys who can score without 97. Lucic and Puljujarvi are doing fine with 97 as it is. It makes us a stronger team to load up non-97 lines.

81. Pescador says:

Woodguy v2.0: Last 4 years:

Hoffman 91 goals in 265 gp for 0.34
    Maroon 48 goals in 189 gp for 0.24

Last 4 years goals:
    14/15 – 27
    15/16 – 29
    16/17 – 26
    17/18 – 9

14/15 – 4
    15/16 – 8
    16/17 – 27
    17/1 – 9

SH% last 4 years (all situations)

14/15– 13.6%

16/17 – 7.3
    17/18– 8.5

14/15 – 7.2
    15/16 – 6.6
    16/17 –7.4
    17/18 –8.5

I wonder if he’s playing hurt?

Edit:

Also,

Pentalties taken – Penalties Drawn

14/15 :+2
    15/16:+5
    16/17: -10
    17/18: +1

14/15: -9
    15/16:-6
    16/17: -7
    17/18: -9

For a team that isn’t good on the PK, that’s important information.

Also, if the Oilers end up trading for Hoffman I wouldn’t be so quick to send Maroon out the door, as some posters have suggested. I also prefer Maroons style of play for what it’s worth

82. Pouzar says:

Aapeli Räsänen will be wearing #22

83. GMB3 says:

I agree. He reminds me of when Draisaitl was 18 in a way. Slow awkward strides, but gets up to a decent pace. I saw a fair bit of panic on the boards with the puck, especially in the first. I thought he didn’t get especially engaged physically for a big man.

Only one game, but look forward to tracking him as the tournament goes on. I think he has some tools, but was kind of a non-factor.

Martin Necas and Chytil though, the puck seems to follow those guys around. Safin looks like he can play with skill at least.

84. Todd Macallan says:

Canada can really skate, this will be a fun team to watch.

Rasanen on the PP1 taking the faceoff, maybe the Testube role?

85. Lucinius says:

That first Canada goal shouldn’t have counted. Ugly decision.

86. Pouzar says:

I used to live and die with the World Jrs… now it can hardly keep my attention without any Oiler prospects on the team.

87. JimmyV1965 says:

I’m not saying Maroon is better than Hoffman, but he’s a highly skilled player and he seems to me to be undervalued here. His stick skills in tight are exceptional and he’s obviously a beast along the boards and in front of the net. I think he would probably be more valuable in the playoffs than Hoffman. And it’s guys like Maroon who make this team so difficult to play against. I don’t think it would be very easy to replace him in the lineup. My biggest concerns are the unknowns. He will be 30 when he becomes a UFA and what does his contract look like? Anything more than four years is super dangerous. Having said all this, Hoffman’s shooting skill is very much needed on this team. We have three centres who are exceptional passers, yet it often seems like they are feeding guys not very good at burying their chances.

88. Lucinius says:

Pouzar:

I’m in a similar position. The World Jrs. used to be among my favourite hockey to watch; only Oiler playoff hockey was better. The quality of the game, in terms of entertainment, simply isn’t as high as it used to be. It isn’t the quality of the players, of course; they continue to be amazing. I think it is the coaching;

You see a lot more of the NHL level coaching in the World Jrs. these days and it means a more defensive, system-based game as opposed to a more basic, thrilling game. Similar to why in the World Cup series the young guns team was so much more enjoyable to watch; they were allowed to simply play and go all out. Less capable in terms of winning against a soundly coached/systemic team, but infinitely more enjoyable to watch.

89. Pouzar says:

Lucinius:
    That first Canada goal shouldn’t have counted. Ugly decision.

Bobby Mc agrees

90. JimmyV1965 says:

Woodguy v2.0: Last 4 years:

Hoffman 91 goals in 265 gp for 0.34
    Maroon 48 goals in 189 gp for 0.24

Last 4 years goals:
    14/15 – 27
    15/16 – 29
    16/17 – 26
    17/18 – 9

14/15 – 4
    15/16 – 8
    16/17 – 27
    17/1 – 9

SH% last 4 years (all situations)

14/15– 13.6%

16/17 – 7.3
    17/18– 8.5

14/15 – 7.2
    15/16 – 6.6
    16/17 –7.4
    17/18 –8.5

I wonder if he’s playing hurt?

Edit:

Also,

Pentalties taken – Penalties Drawn

14/15 :+2
    15/16:+5
    16/17: -10
    17/18: +1

14/15: -9
    15/16:-6
    16/17: -7
    17/18: -9

For a team that isn’t good on the PK, that’s important information.

91. Alpine says:

JimmyV1965: Again I’m not saying Maroon is better than Hoffman, but you can’t compare his numbers to anyone pre Oilers. We know Maroon has made substantial lifestyle changes since joining the team, which have clearly impacted his numbers and his game.

I like Maroon and everything and he’s a nice story, but lifestyle change, or not, playing with McDavid helped him immensely. It’s nice that he had a wake up call after being traded, but that’s not something unique to him, and thus his history as a player shouldn’t be ignored. I liked the trade at the time, even knowing that he had some work ethic issues. He’s a good middle six forward and should be valued accordingly.

92. Alpine says:

I should point out with Hoffman that his ES scoring has regressed since the start of last season and that you might not be getting what you think when trading for him. That could be due to Boucher’s tactics, but it’s a cause for concern.

I think there’s still upside in trading for him in hoping you can regain some extra EV scoring and get real good value from the last two years of his deal. If he doesn’t work out at least you can let him walk in June of 2020.

93. Thinker says:

I honestly think it’s just been less fun because we haven’t won the wjc in awhile. The Jprdan Eberle era teams had these hige moments that lead to championships, and the good guys always won. It was poetic

94. Lucinius says:

Thinker,

Eh, personally I rarely cheer for Canada at the World Jrs. I enjoy it when they win, of course, but I watch it mostly for the Euro teams and seeing a lot of players I normally couldn’t.

So long as the U.S. does poorly I’m good with whomever wins.

95. Professor Q says:

We generally cheer for Canada – and Denmark! Muahaha.

Hopefully they do well in a few hours against the U. S.

96. Pescador says:

Pouzar: Bobby Mc agrees

The insider?

97. Munny says:

Good game. There’s a couple of Finns with serious wheels.

98. Klima's_Bucket says:

Is there a site to look up CF% for the World Juniors?

By my eye, Cal Foote played with a grenade, not a puck.

99. Pouzar says:

Pescador: The insider?

The guy on TV who talks about hockey.

100. Woodguy v2.0 says:

slopitch:
    Can Hoffman kill penalties? Does he add to team speed?

For the record, I wouldn’t pay a first for Hoffman.

OTT wants to drop salary and that comes with a premium, so no first.

101. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Woodguy v2.0

OTT wants to drop salary and that comes with a premium, so no first.

– I agree : teams that want to unload term, they aren’t getting hockey deals

– The playoff run handbook though would be Sleepy, 3rd and some B-prospect: and you have both Maroon and Hoffman for the run.

– But if you aren’t re-signing Maroon, you have to move him at deadline

Imagine:

Lucic-McD-Pool
    Maroon-Drai-Strome
    Jar-RNH-Hoffman (does he play off-wing?)
    Caggs-Letetsu-Kass

Yikes…

– That’s why you play the kids at beginning of year: a bunch of them establish roles, then you add whatever was missing to go over the top at deadline. Jar, Pool, Caggs: all have now show

102. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pescador: That is excellent information, thank you for digging it up, I’ll try to refine my point if I can. I don’t believe that their contact difference $3.187mil. is warranted, we’ll see what Maroon signs for in the summer.

I think Maroon will be $4-ish.

At that point I like Hoffman better.

He’s a one shot scorer from distance and that doesn’t exist on this roster right now.

Kinda like Neal-light (with none of the physical play)

103. Munny says:

Woodguy v2.0: Sleppy, 3rd and Maroon (good for a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline) should be sufficient.

That is well beyond sufficient. If OTT’s motivation is to drop salary, Maroon would bring Hoffman by himself, but I doubt Chia would be willing to make that trade.

104. Thinker says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – I agree : teams that want to unload term, they aren’t getting hockey deals

– But if you aren’t re-signing Maroon, you have to move him at deadline

Imagine:

Lucic-McD-Pool
    Maroon-Drai-Strome
    Jar-RNH-Hoffman (does he play off-wing?)
    Caggs-Letetsu-Kass

Yikes…

– That’s why you play the kids at beginning of year: a bunch of them establish roles, then you add whatever was missing to go over the top at deadline.Jar, Pool, Caggs: all have now show

I could have told you we were missing a RW in May.

105. 99217 says:

Really enjoy the wjhc and seeing these kids bust a nut for they’re country and not a paycheck. Was hoping Robert Thomas would fall to us at 22…to no avail.

Safin impressed and kinda reminded me of a LH Blake Wheeler. He needs a few lbs. but looks like a possible draft day steal.

The Finnish coach seemed to like Rasanen and gave him 1st pp time and a few double shifts but I didn’t see him to involved.

Maybe Samorukov looked better to someone else but I didn’t see him with the puck very much. From what I saw he was mobile.

106. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woodguy v2.0: I think Maroon will be $4-ish.

At that point I like Hoffman bettering.

Kinda like Neal-light (with none of the physical play)

107. Munny says:

Woiuldn’t Strome be the roster player we would want to trade for Hoffman?

I actually have difficulty believing Hoffman is the target. I think it’s more likely it is Condon.

108. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Scungilli Slushy: I’m not getting why so many think Hoffman is an elite sniper. Mid level yes, LW Eberle. His SH% has declined yearly, especially this year. At his price and age I think it’s risky. Very Loui Eriksson IMO. They need 20-25 G for less cap.

I never typed with words “elite sniper”

He has a very good shot and can beat goalies at distance.

This is known.

EDM doesn’t have that player.

25-30 goals for $5MM is value in a $80MM cap and if he plays with McDavid full time and PP1 I’d expect 30+ pace.

109. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Woodguy v2.0: I think Maroon will be $4-ish.

At that point I like Hoffman better.

Kinda like Neal-light (with none of the physical play)

I think others would bid more.

Maroon is essentially a 3rd (maybe a 2nd with his low salary) at the deadline.

It’s not the Eberle-Strome trade, Maroon’s not under contract next year.

110. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Last 4 years (not including this one) Hoffman is 33rd in goals/game.

0.33

Tied with Monahan, Couture, E. Kane.

Notables at .34 or .35 are Pasternak, Forsberg, Carter, Kessel.

Hoffman can score the hockey goals.

111. leadfarmer says:

Munny:
    Woiuldn’t Strome be the roster player we would want to trade for Hoffman?

I actually have difficulty believing Hoffman is the target.I think it’s more likely it is Condon.

I think Condon stays as he will most likely get more playing time and a chance to be a starter in the future as Anderson ages.

112. who says:

Woodguy v2.0: For the record, I wouldn’t pay a first for Hoffman.

OTT wants to drop salary and that comes with a premium, so no first.

Having said that he is the pure shooter that the Oilers have been looking for.
    Not buying the Eberle comparisons although they are both one dimensional offensive players. Eberle is a dangler and puck distributor who needs to get inside the hash marks to score. Hoffman also has a good set of hands but he is a proven first shot scorer who can beat goalies from outside the hash marks.

113. Pouzar says:

So what Center and Wing are we giving up for Letang?

*runs*

114. Pouzar says:

who: Yeah that’s about as high as I would go as well. And even then I would be concerned about how Hoffman’s salary is going to affect our cap moving forward.
    Having said that he is the pure shooter that the Oilers have been looking for.

Well said.

115. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woodguy v2.0: I never typed with words “elite sniper”

He has a very good shot and can beat goalies at distance.

This is known.

EDM doesn’t have that player.

If he’s such a deadly shooter why is he so mid pack in goal scoring? Is 5.1 M really value for that production from a one dimensional player? It might be better to sign Neal, only a year older.

116. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0: I think others would bid more.

Maroon is essentially a 3rd (maybe a 2nd with his low salary) at the deadline.

It’s not the Eberle-Strome trade, Maroon’s not under contract next year.

Completely agree with your Hoffman assessment. This team needs a guy that can be relied to get the puck in the net when needed. We just don’t have that guy on this roster. We got guys that can get him the puck and we got guys that can clean up his garbage.
    We also have no idea what Maroon wants and if he wants to be closer to his son.
    Chia is not one to sit on his hands. If he can make the team better tomorrow he will even if that means he will have to deal with the repercussions of the contract in the future.
    I would not be surprised if Strome is a piece heading back

117. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Last 4 years (not including this one) Hoffman is 33rd in goals/game.

0.33

Tied with Monahan, Couture, E. Kane.

Notables at .34 or .35 are Pasternak, Forsberg, Carter, Kessel.

Hoffman can score the hockey goals.

Ok it’s value 🙂 Can he skate?

118. leadfarmer says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Because you don’t know if you will even have a shot at Neal. Also There’s not much in the UFA market and cap is going up

Great in tight chance for Yamamoto on the power play.

Yamamoto scored.

121. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Scungilli Slushy: ‘Elite’ – Sorry I wasn’t attempting to put words in your mouth, just used your opinion to make a broader comment.

Neal would be a better option, albeit I doubt he comes in under $6.5 and maybe over $7 and of course you have to be sure he signs here whereas Hoffman is under contract for 2 more years.

Also,

Hoffman being 33rd in goals/game from 13/14-16/17 isn’t mid pack. It’s upper end.

Neai was 19th with 0.03 more goals per game.

Hoffman scored 85 in 256, Neal 93 in 278 games.

Neal is having a much better 17/18 though, which is why he’ll be north of $6.5MM next year.

$5 could fit under the cap, $6.5+ probably won’t.

122. BONE207 says:

Every Dane I know is well over 6 feet tall. Why does the Danish hockey team look like they are extras from middle earth? Especially the goalie.

123. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Ok it’s value 🙂 Can he skate?

Not that well, so he’ll fit right in!!

From what i’ve seen and heard he’s pretty one dimensional, but its the good dimension.

124. OriginalPouzar says:

We have a hole at wing next year in the top 6 with the impending departure of Patrick Maroon but, really, is a scoring left winger what this team needs?

Yes, we have an issue on the PP recently but this team is an elite five on five scoring team and I’m not sure about adding another scoring winger with a $5M plus cap hit while paying assets to make the acquisition.

I think the better route is to stay the course and/or look for a veteran stop gap on the cheap (like Jokinen but one that works out better) for next year. Lets Benson and Yamamoto peculate in the AHL. Presumably, given offensive wingers don’t take too long to develop, one of those two will be ready for the top 6 the following season.

125. JimmyV1965 says:

If I’m the GM of a playoff team I would absolutely target a guy like Maroon. If he doesn’t score he can still contribute to a victory. Guys who only score and do nothing else, they don’t contribute otherwise. Isn’t that the reason we traded Eberle? If the Oilers are in the playoff hunt I don’t want to trade Maroon at all. I’d rather lose him for nothing to free agency than trade him and not have him for the playoffs.

Hoffman is a good skater.

127. who says:

Yamamoto not exactly lighting it up tonight. USAs best players appear to be Middlestat and Hughes.

128. Woogie63 says:

Not on next year’s team is 13, 19.

Slepy will be starting by the end of the year.

129. who says:

Wonder if anyone has drafted number 3 from Denmark. Big kid seems to skate pretty good.

130. deardylan says:

Hi from Saigon,

Sending you some hot sun from here.

I think the temperature differential is 62 degrees from Edmonton and you can get crispy brown in about 45min in this winter sun . I looked at high level bridge cam and it had frosted over. Thats cold! How can we be on the same planet? Although I really do miss the snow at Christmas and the New Years Ski Trips. 🙁

Great see Safin and Yama getting early start.

When I review the standings it is hard to believe Vegas is a top NHL team and just beat Washington 4-0 and is kicking butt at home.

VEGAS BABY!

What is Vegas doing right? Anyone studying this team? What can Oilers learn/apply from them? Last time I looked they had 7 players injured (Oilers currently only 1) and they are still coasting up top of rankings.

WTF?!!

Is there a way we could instead trade for some castaways/low value players (that would not be protected in expansion draft) that have potential instead of going for big trades? I don’t think Hoffman would go unprotected if there was a new team this year.

PS. Luckily Vegas didn’t get Jujhar or it would have been another great value pick with potential.

Vegas Baby!

Is there anyone unprotected on this list that would help us in short term or long term future?

And just saw this article talking about it. Could be still relevant now Vegas is top after almost 1/2 of season?

Dylan

who:

Had a great chance on the power play early, scored a goal and had some looks. Once the game got away from Denmark USA coach rolled lines and KY didn’t see as much of the puck in the offensive zone. Agree on Middlestadt, also thought Max Jones was impressive.

132. YKOil says:

Maroon, Slepy and a 2nd or 3rd for Hoffman works just fine imo. Will miss Maroon’s added toughness but Hoffman is the better scorer (and he isn’t soft).

The Letang rumours are making me sad.

Also, with three good centres to work with chances are good that Hoffman find a fit and has success. I.e. Hoffman is a better trade piece down the road and that matters too.

133. slopitch says:

Sorry for asking if Hoffman could skate. I’d like some increased team speed is all and don’t know the player well enough 🙂

If the ask for Hoffman doesn’t include the 1st id be game. Given the salary situation though they have to be right because they could spend the money on a RHD or a two-way type. It’s not true that they only have one bet because Chai moves on pretty quickly from bad bets. But having the option to move when necessary is important. I still believe the oilers window can include this year if they can make 2 good adds.

YKOil:
    Maroon, Slepy and a 2nd or 3rd for Hoffman works just fine imo.Will miss Maroon’s added toughness but Hoffman is the better scorer (and he isn’t soft).

The Letang rumours are making me sad.

Also, with three good centres to work with chances are good that Hoffman find a fit and has success.I.e. Hoffman is a better trade piece down the road and that matters too.

Letang rumors are worrisome. He’s got a big contract and health issues. I expect that’s what you mean of course, but man I wouldn’t like to see a big asset outlay for a player with his medical record.

135. slopitch says:

Surely the oilers aren’t in on Letang. It would be buying at an all time low but man that medical record…

136. hunter1909 says:

JimmyV1965:

Yes the revisionists.

These revisionists used to defend Craig McTavish. While defending the “strategy” of middling draft teams(Oilers cough) to target smaller, skilled players with the clear expectation that the referees would call so many powerplays if any other NHL team ever tried to mess with them, that it wouldn’t even be funny etc.

The revisionists then had to move on from MacT post Eakins; but then managed to attatch themselves to fancy stats, lol

They also love to trade away physically strong players since they place no value in them, like Lucic who to them is nothing more than a $4. million over paid freak.

Ditto Maroon, ditto Kassian, Nurse is nothing but near waiver fodder to these revisionists.

137. Jethro Tull says:

Wwll, in the army, we called the artillery “long range snipers.” Seeing as he has a cannon for a shot, that may be where you picked up ‘sniper’ frim.

I’ve seen Hoffman blast them. Rarely snipe them.

138. Jethro Tull says:

hunter1909,

I’m not so much a revisionist as I am a revivalist.

139. JimmyV1965 says:

hunter1909: Yes the revisionists.

What I don’t get is the willingness of some people to trade Maroon. He might be slower than most but he actually has some skills. I get it if we’re out of the playoffs, but if we even have a sniff of the postseason, we absolutely need this guy. I like Hoffman and everything, but why in the world would you include Maroon in the deal? And why the hell would Ottawa want a 29 year old pending UFA?

140. GMB3 says:

JimmyV1965: What I don’t get is the willingness of some people to trade Maroon. He might be slower than most but he actually has some skills. I get it if we’re out of the playoffs, but if we even have a sniff of the postseason, we absolutely need this guy.I like Hoffman and everything, but why in the world would you include Maroon in the deal? And why the hell would Ottawa want a 29 year old pending UFA?

How many face punchers did Pittsburgh employ on their way to two cups in a row? We have Lucic, Kassian, Nurse, Khaira. If trading Maroon can get us a winger who is a better scorer, better overall player, then we should do it.

How do you think benning is so worthless but Maroon is so good? He’s a middle six guy who caught lightning in a bottle alongside McDavid. Work ethic has been the knock his entire career and you still can see signs of it today.

Trading for Maroon makes some sense for Ottawa as they are struggling financially (this has been brought up around 780 times over the last few week).

141. OriginalPouzar says:

It doesn’t make sense to me to compare teams directly with other teams in the sense of “they didn’t need X or Y so we don’t need X or Y).

Just because the PIT team was structured a certain way to win does not mean our team needs to be (or can be) structured the same way.

Maybe PIt didn’t need a few “face punchers” like Maroon and Lucic to win but maybe EDM does?

Our strengths are different than PIT’s. What are our strengths? Depth down the middle, rolling 2 solid top D pairs that can play tough minutes (no top pair then drop off) and being a big, tough and skilled team that is tough to play against.

Maroon is part of that third tranche. No, he’s not untradeable, of course not, but deleting him from the roster does weaken us in an area of strength and that separates us from other teams.

If he aren’t right in the playoff hunt in February, he needs to be sold. Also, I don’t see us being able to keep him next season due to cap reasons. His offence needs to be replaced cheaper than he will sign for but we will lose something that separates us from other teams.

142. deardylan says:

Hey Lowetide,

For a new years…can I request that I would love to hear a review of your 2017 and preview of 2018. A year ago did you expect to be writing for the Athletic?

10 years ago did you expect to be on radio and have this community you built? 20 years ago could you see the internet changing how you lived and interacted with Oilers and your musical playlist.

Looking back and forward can you connect the dots of how your life would be strung and strummed together?

Dylan

143. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

hunter1909: Yes the revisionists.

Curious who said Nurse is waiver fodder?

144. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

In answer to your last question, so that they can trade Maroon themselves at the deadline for a 2nd round pick. If the Oilers sent Maroon, a prospect and a 2nd for Hoffman it would effectively be two 2nds and a prospect for the Sens.

Note, unless the return is a 1st rounder I am not for trading Maroon.
    I would happily keep him and run
    Hoffman-McDavid-Pulju
    Lucic-Nuge-Cammy/Caggiula
    Maroon-Drai-Strome
    Khaira-Letestu-Kassian
    Slepy

But the bonuses are an issue for next year so no doubt a salary needs to go out. To me RW is still the bigger need.

145. deardylan says:

Maroon vs. Hoffman

How can we trade the guy that puts the smile on McDavid’s face, makes us cry with his emotional interviews and turns the game around by making both teams laugh with his beard stroking? There are many intangibles that Maroon brings to the game and we don’t even know the ones he creates INSIDE the locker room, on airplanes and roadtrips. I know analytics might favour Hoffman although the team spirit is something that cannot be measured or forgotten.

Can Hoffman bring this HEART? 0.23 and 0.59

146. JimmyV1965 says:

GMB3: You have a massive hard on for people who can body check and face punch we get it. Let’s not forget who Maroon has been over his career. A third/fourth line guy with some skill.

That’s an absolutely ridiculous thing to accuse me of. I like Maroon because he brings something to the table, not because he’s a face puncher. I have concerns about Benning because he’s had some very awful games. He’s been better lately.

147. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Our strengths are different than PIT’s.What are our strengths? Depth down the middle, rolling 2 solid top D pairs that can play tough minutes (no top pair then drop off) and being a big, tough and skilled team that is tough to play against.

Maroon is part of that third tranche.No, he’s not untradeable, of course not, but deleting him from the roster does weaken us in an area of strength and that separates us from other teams.

If he aren’t right in the playoff hunt in February, he needs to be sold.Also, I don’t see us being able to keep him next season due to cap reasons.His offence needs to be replaced cheaper than he will sign for but we will lose something that separates us from other teams.

Thank you. Well said.

148. Evilas says:

Fantasy Time here folks. The Letang talk and all the other discussion surrounding Karlsson and Pittsburgh moving players had me wondering if Melnyk would really go for this.

So rather than a 3 for 1, how about this for an unlikely massive 4 team trade?

*Bear with me here. Here are the facts:
    1. Duchene was traded for a bonafide skilled NHL Centerman plus a boatload of picks and prospects to be a #1 Center and he is seriously shitting the bed. And it’s not the rabbit-pebbles that you mistake for Saskatoon berries sometimes and then realize they’re not until it’s too late kind of feces….I am talkin about serious bed-shitting, when I say bed-shitting I am talking about elephant-diarrhea plops here!! I am sure they would love to cut their losses and recoup some of what they gave up for him.
    2. Pittsburgh would take him in a heartbeat.
    3. Ottawa will be losing Karlsson, a stud RHD in the next 2 years; Letang is a stud RHD with 6 years remaining on his deal.
    4. Klefbom is dreamy, Ottawa would like him on their team and his cap hit is palatable and he has 5 yrs left on his deal.
    6. Montreal is a desperate team and would happily take Letang and Cole for Petry & Lehkonen.
    7. Melnyk is bat-shit crazy. Everybody wins!!!!

To Edmonton:
    Karlsson
    Hoffman ($1.5 million retained)
    Pageau

——————————————-
    If I were TMac the lineup would look like this:

The Hoff-CMD-Slepy #freeslepy 🙂
    19-93- Pageau
    27-29-98 Give JP the soft parade, I think he is not ready to take on the toughs
    16-Sheahan-44
    13 – Cammalleri should not be an every day player, put him in every 3rd or 4th game…..

25-65
    88-5
    2-4
    81/63

Talbot
    Condon

Sheahan and Pageau are good at face-offs and most importantly are effective PKers, IMO upgrades to the personnel they’d be replacing in those disciplines.

PKers: Nuge, CMD, Khaira, Draisaitl, Kassian, Pageau, Sheehan and why not Puljujarvi? 8 fwds for PK duties and 6 of them, well 5 are decent at face-offs. Plus Erik Karlsson.

This team would be faster, and most importantly Erik Freeeeekin Karlsson!!!!

With Karlsson alone I think the PP would also see massive improvement.

There you go, get ‘er done Chia Pete and Bam! Stanley Cup, yes?

So to summarize:

Erik Freaking Karlsson

Okay, my work here is done, feel free to discuss amongst yourselves 🙂

149. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Evilas,

Would ask if I could please have some of what you are smoking but I am pretty sure that it would be illegal in Japan. 😉

150. Evilas says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Evilas,

I know right?

But it is more likely related to the lead paint that has slowly been killing me, the tainted dog meat (which everyone wants me to eat, but they call it “beef” here in China) and when combined with the tinnitus that I have now developed (my god the honking of horns is nutty, I swear that most Chinese must be half deaf, they sure do like their noise – how is the noise level in Japan? I am a country boy, love the quiet), it’s all just causing me to hallucinate.

#freekarlsson!!!!

151. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Evilas,

It all depends where you live. I live in Tokyo but I know where to live. I live in a residential neighbourhood next to a small park and directly on a pedestrian only walking path. It is so quiet. No cars no honking. Everything I need is found within a 10 minute walking radius. A head of lettuce costs 15 cents. A basket of tomatoes a dollar. 24 mandarin oranges 5 bucks. A bag of potatoes a dollar and a quarter.

I have maybe 300 restaurant options within walking distance and I am a 4-minute, 2-stop subway ride away from the Times Square equivalent that is Shibuya.

In other words, it works. My rent for a house costs less than rent for one bedroom apartment in downtown Vancouver.

But the countryside is still the best, like anywhere else. Tonight I sleep on a futon after a soak in the hot spring, next to a mountain river. The only sound is the water, the heron in the night, and the hum of the stove.

152. deardylan says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Evilas,

Thanks for sharing “GB”

You reminded me that I feel Japan is an island quite different than rest of Asia and different than rest of the world. In a Vietnam big city if there is no big construction noise, honking motocycle horns, cutting tiles on the street or loud people noise for more than a minute we would get a little bit worried here.

I remember the difference in Japan.. and I noticed a big sign outside a construction site. Asked what is this sign with the number keeps changing. They said it was a decibel recorder, if noise gets too high they get in trouble and have to pay a fine. I am not in Asia anymore am I?!!

One building was fitted with a giant insulated sweater so it wouldn’t make any noise for the nearbye neighbours as they did work on it. Would any other country in Asia have these strong standards against noise? Haha.

I have probably 50+ crazy stories like this my 4 experiences working and travelling in Japan. Can’t count how many times I burst out laughing so many times in awe at the differences there.

One time I screamed when they I realized they had electrical shock saunas where the heat and the electrical charge cleaned every ounce of dirt off my body and cooked me alive before I slowly escaped. The old grandpas laughing at me for being so naive/weak while they soaked up the voltage. Haha.

It is in my top 2 places in the world to travel. Only India can trump it because India has so many highs/lows/challenges every minute that you don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Back to Japan: If you haven’t been to Japan book it in 2018 cause it is the closest to going to another planet as you will have on Planet Earth.

Buy a 30 Day Japan Rail Pass in your country and travel unlimited on most bullet trains and all trains for a fraction of the price with experiences that are priceless.

Like the Gentleman Backpacker says don’t be scared to people saying it is too pricey…it could be the best value in Asia. (except for tropical fruit like Durina–that ain’t cheap and I gorge on mangos, durians and fresh fruit when I arrive back to Vietnam)

Japan is an Island on a different planet!

See you GB in Tokyo in March if you are there.

Evilas- get to the Countryside or Japan quick before you go stirfriedcrazy. 😉

153. GMB3 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Just your morning reminder that we are in 24th place, and have yet to win anything. One of our weaknesses is our depth down the wings. I don’t understand how “tough to play against” only means physical. Once again, Pittsburgh had success without any need for any face punchers, I imagine San Jose and Nashville found them tough to play against.

As Edmonton Oiler fans we love to emotionally attach ourselves to the blue collar, rough and tumble players, yet it’s a position of strength for this team and it would be nice to make a trade where we aren’t robbing Peter to pay Paul. And FWIW, I like maroon as a player, but this is a team that could use more speed and skill, and a shooter.

154. Professor Q says:

who:

The Red Wings drafted him in the 4th round in 2017. Denmark has 4 drafted players this year.

155. Professor Q says:

Lucinius:
    That first Canada goal shouldn’t have counted. Ugly decision.

Nor should they have gotten away with the sweeping out of the Finland goal. Penalty shot at least (or an automatic goal – it was over the line, after all).